Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Sudler-Smith: Dilettante Buffoon

• Start Topic

On 5/1/2017 at 9:58 AM, biakbiak said:

He's not. Even he has said it. He and his restaurateur friend only get the credit for shopping the show to Bravo. They are also getting ex prod credit for Savanah and Nola just because of the original  show.

FWIW, Patricia said on twitter that he did the casting for the NOLA spinoff. She specifically said he didn't have anything to do with Savannah - made me lol because that iteration is such a dud.. In a recent interview, one of the producers said Whitney didn't want to be on camera when SC was in production but the producers felt he should be. To me I think Whitney doesn't feel all that comfortable on camera and it shows.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, kacesq said:

In a recent interview, one of the producers said Whitney didn't want to be on camera when SC was in production but the producers felt he should be. To me I think Whitney doesn't feel all that comfortable on camera and it shows.

He's not in the sizzle reel and I can imagine the producers feeling that he'd learned his lesson after Ultrasuede (where there was barely a review that didn't reference what an unpleasant weirdo he was). However, he's so awful on this show. I can't get past what a douchebag he is on this show, but he's still the same guy who thought the winning formula for this show was middle aged douches hitting on younger women. He's this strange person who knows that people find him unpleasant, but can't recognize his unpleasant behaviors.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

I'd be curious in what type of social situation Whitney does find himself comfortable?

The morgue, maybe....

Or sunlight.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, bosawks said:

I'd be curious in what type of social situation Whitney does find himself comfortable?

The morgue, maybe....

Nah, the autopsy techs, doctors and investigators and lab staff would find him creepy.

He's most comfortable talking alone to the man in the mirror. All others are beneath him.

• Love 4

Wow! I've never heard of this guy until a few minutes ago when I unexpectedly fell down a rabbit hole while checking out a lovely PT posters profile!

But I love an eccentric, eclectic freak from Hollywood! I mean we haven't really had an insane Hollywood (genius?) since Phil Spector! Lol. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Wow! I've never heard of this guy until a few minutes ago when I unexpectedly fell down a rabbit hole while checking out a lovely PT posters profile!

But I love an eccentric, eclectic freak from Hollywood! I mean we haven't really had an insane Hollywood (genius?) since Phil Spector! Lol. 

That's really insulting. Phil Spector has talent.

• Love 4

I like Whitney ? And definitely an unpopular opinion but I could listen to Patricia talk about curry all day. However her red headed friend I did NOT like. I have a strong distaste for bottled redheads regardless of her crap personality. 

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

That's really insulting. Phil Spector has talent.

For menacing women to the point of murdering one. 

56 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

• Love 3
15 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I like Whitney ? And definitely an unpopular opinion but I could listen to Patricia talk about curry all day. However her red headed friend I did NOT like. I have a strong distaste for bottled redheads regardless of her crap personality. 

Agree on all counts. I think Whitney is hysterical. I give him all the laurels for dubbing Big Red "hillbilly femme fatal." I love Patricia and even sort of want one of her atrocious dog caftans. If only she made one with Whitney's face. Would buy. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 5/29/2017 at 10:43 PM, RedDelicious said:

I like Whitney a ton too.  

As to his sexuality, who knows.  Could be he hasn't figured that out yet, but my feelings at this juncture are that he likes girls but just doesn't know what to do with them.  

He seems like he never found a clear career path that works long-term and flounders in this area as a result.  Seems like he wanted to do the Hollywood thing for awhile but it didn't pan out (until now).   Lack of a successful, long-term job could make him feel insecure a bit.  

Grasping at straws here, but that is all I can come up with.  He's hard to latch on to cause there isn't much to latch on to.  

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3

The eyebrows! The lack of facial hair! The smooth 50ish skin indicative of "having work done." It's not even feminine or masculine-it is not natural! I personally am not attracted to Ken Peter Pan types. 

It's almost like his mother has kept him in pre-puberty hence his lack of interest in sex-or for any prolong period-to me maybe. This is a theory in flux .lol.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

Maybe he hasn't found someone as eccentric as he is.

Daisy is pretty damn eccentric herself with her opera gloves at all occasions and her constant guffawing over who the hell knows what. I wouldn't think she would be Whitney's type of eccentric, but she certainly qualifies as eccentric!

(edited)

I kind of wonder what would happen if he crossed paths with Nick Taylor. (He's the eccentric, make-up loving Duran Duran member who seems like he should be on Absolutely Fabulous.)

A coke-filled party with NYC socialites posing as BoHo's in 1988 Greenwhich, I think. Like, imagine Whit Stillman's Metropolitan but far more pretentious and coked out.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

When I look at Whitney's face:

1) Patti's plastic surgeon is not doing the same skillful work on Whit's face. 

2) He looks like low budget Madame Tussaud's figure which survived a small fire.

3) Aren't you like 50 and trying to beard 20-somethings and then lecturing about class and good behavior? Ok. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 6:14 AM, Major Bigtime said:

Studio 54. Whit was just born too late.

Nah, real Studio 54 would have been entirely too dirty and gritty for Whit.

However, the clean fake version of Studio 54 in The Last Days of Disco would have been perfect. Can't you just see him hanging out with Kate Beckinsale's character in that and making bitchy comments about Chloe Sevigny?

I feel like Whit is like a cross between a character in a Whit Stillman film and someone from the Bret Easton Ellis universe.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
(edited)

I enjoy Whitney - he's different enough to be interesting, though I get the feeling that his mother has such a stranglehold on him he's not quite sure about his own identity. 

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 6
(edited)
58 minutes ago, nexxie said:

I enjoy Whitney - he's different enough to be interesting, though I get the feeling that his mother has such a stranglehold on him he's not quite sure about his own identity. 

Ever since he made the Norman Bates comparison in season 1((to which Cameron hilariously asked "Who's that?" HTF do you not know such a common pop cultural reference, Cam?!)), I've been unable to not see him as anyone *but* Norman Bates. Especially when he uses the whole "Yes, Mother" routine in conversation with her. You could just picture the dude running a decrepit hotel along with Patricia, creeping on the pretty ladies when he's not sneaking around in his mother's caftans. 

Sure, the dude's a little creepily awkward and a lot snobby, but I still like him overall---his deadpan delivery and snarky commentary are both often brilliant. And just for introducing the world to his glamourous mother alone is reason enough for me to like the guy---their scenes together are always a hoot.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 8
(edited)

Does Whitney remind anyone else of this guy? I thought of him because the two walk alike - but the slightly creepy quirkiness is similar too. Great movie btw!

(Sorry if it's been mentioned somewhere and I missed it - can't keep up.)

Harold_and_Maude_(1971_film)_video_cover

haroldandmaudeeyetwo.jpg?t=1234321362

Edited by nexxie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/28/2019 at 3:44 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Here's Whitney, modeling the official Douche Canoe uniform - 

Screenshot (450).png

I don't know I think he looks ok for Whitney.

Although, it may be that with all the winter gear he just doesn't look like he has consumption.......

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 1/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Here's Whitney, modeling the official Douche Canoe uniform - 

Screenshot (450).png

Whitney trying to be 'a regular dude', except his scarf is probably pashmina from the underbelly of virgin goats, woven by virgins who only drink the dew drops from wild flowers...His tavern hat is an attempt to tell others beneath his station, that he's just like them...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

Whitney trying to be 'a regular dude', except his scarf is probably pashmina from the underbelly of virgin goats, woven by virgins who only drink the dew drops from wild flowers...His tavern hat is an attempt to tell others beneath his station, that he's just like them...

I don’t think he is trying to be regular dude he’s basically wearing the Inofficial Sundance uniform which is where the photo was taken.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

Knowing Kathryn has been dating Hunter Price, I cannot wait to see how they stage a Kathryn/Whitney romance. 

I knew this show faked some scenes, but Whitney having anything to do with a woman ....

I am a huge Kat/Whitney shipper!  I would luv to see them together.  I've read a lot of posts where people think Whit...plays for the other team.  IDK, I never got that vibe from him.

• Love 2
On 5/22/2019 at 9:07 AM, Babyfoot said:

I’ve never thought Whitney is gay. I’ve also never believed that there was any chemistry/lust/romance/longing between Whit and the Hillbilly Femme Fatale. 

I also don't believe he is gay. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Whitney doesn’t seem particularly interested in either from what I can tell. 

Seriously. He just strikes me as asexual. There is such a thing! He just seems like he’d find sex way too gross, or in his mom’s words, “pedestrian and banal” for his taste.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Seriously. He just strikes me as asexual. There is such a thing! He just seems like he’d find sex way too gross, or in his mom’s words, “pedestrian and banal” for his taste.

Lmao! That’s so “Patricia”!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I remember Whitney is supposed to have had experiences with an eating disorder in the past, and I did think he looked downright sickly at times, but this is honestly the best I've seen him look on the show. I wonder if he got a good facelift.

• Love 2

I'm not sure what is going on with Whit, but this story about sleeping with Kathryn is really weird. Craig and Austen just said they had NO doubt that it wasn't true, meaning they believe it happened..I just can't envision it. The only reason that I can imagine Kathryn would claim it is so she can maintain some connection with Patricia.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure what is going on with Whit, but this story about sleeping with Kathryn is really weird. Craig and Austen just said they had NO doubt that it wasn't true, meaning they believe it happened..I just can't envision it. The only reason that I can imagine Kathryn would claim it is so she can maintain some connection with Patricia.

They've banged before.  I feel like this time it's a storyline for the show, but I can absolutely see it happening f'reals and wouldn't/won't be surprised if it's true.

• Love 3