Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

I'm really angry at how they treated Tristan - and have done since the start. Louis too. And Alec, Jonathan, Dmitry, Gleb... But the Tristan situation takes the cake. Forcing him back over here because of his contract when there were other things he could have been doing in the UK - it just sucks. At least I don't have to watch this hyped up fakery with the propped princeling. Good riddance.

Can I ask what you mean by "forcing him back over here?"

I don't care about Julianne judging her brother's partner and her second cousin she hardly knows, or her own mother, really.  It's reality tv, not the Olympics or the Hunger Games.  I doubt the judges even pick the scores themselves.  

True. This show gave up any pretense of being an actual, fair competition long before Julianne arrived.

• Love 6

I think it was already bad enough for Julianne to be judging her brother and a long-time friend. Now her cousin, too (someone not a stranger to her, but family she's socialized with). Actually I thought Riker seemed obnoxious and I thought he was overscored (or at least overpraised) for week 1. After the background tape, I was hoping he'd be first to go home. But I think that will be Keo's partner, whose humor probably will not play well with the audience. Sorry, Keo.

I believe the judges pick their own scores. However, more importantly in my opinion, is that Julianne is one of four judges. When she was announced last season as a judge some claimed she would for sure overscore him all season long. Instead, her scores for him and Bethany always fell in line with the other judges. Of course that didn't stop some online posters from still insisting she was overscoring him, contrary to the what was actually happening on the show.

But the fact is even if Julianne gave Derek and his partner a 10 for every dance (like that would happen), there are three other judges' points to offset that. But more importantly, DWTS is not won on the judges' scores. Sure, they always say how it counts for half of the votes, along with viewer votes but how many couples have stayed for weeks and weeks getting the lowest judges scores. And people with very high judges scores who go home in surprise eliminations. This show is won on viewer votes. So I find the Julianne/Derek conspiracy theories laughable at best.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

Actually I thought Riker seemed obnoxious and I thought he was overscored (or at least overpraised) for week 1.

I didn't mind him. He seemed fine to me, especially in comparison to other young guys that have been on the show, like that Cody kid who drove me up a wall (I found his lack of attention span or care to follow his partner's instructions so frustrating). Regardless of ballroom skill, I liked that Riker seemed to throw himself into the dance pretty completely. I have doubts that Alison will be able to keep him in the competition though, given how she didn't seem to do well choreographing last season. This particular dance - as some have pointed out - was in her wheelhouse. We'll see how they do in the coming weeks with other types of dances that aren't contemporary, jazz or jive.

He needs to stop obsessing over his hair, though. LOL.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

Julianne has made the show unwatchable for me. I don't like her personality at all, and her comments are too often cringeworthy. I don't enjoy secondhand embarrassment enough to hang in there for the performances.

Too bad, because it can be such a fun show. I will tape it and watch Riker and Rumor and ignore the rest.

Edited by jennylauren123

I finally was able to watch the episode and I was completely underwhelmed; I didn't really enjoy the dances, some I actively hated (here's looking at you Allison) and the judges complete grated my last nerve.  I didn't find anyone really rootable (with the exception of Ms. LaBelle (because how could you not?); though I do admire both Michael Sam and Noah Galloway (but that's apart from their dancing).

I was squicked out by Chris Soules "discomfort" about having to "touch" Witney - as he's talking, I kept thinking "she's a kid and you're giving off really inappropriate vibes."

Why did the show make Robert Herjavec seem like a smarmy, self-centered, money obsessed guy?  

The introductions were really quite painful with Willow and Charlotte's being the worst.  I do like the fact that Charlotte appears to have a personality and a sense of humor (unlike Lolo).

Tony, don't ever change ...... I love that you just go for it.

Week one and I'm already tired of Val and his "it's been eight seasons and I haven't won yet."

Allison the reason Witney was able to win in her second season is that (1) she had a phenomenal partner in terms of talent, ability, and personality, and (2) she's a trained ballrom dancer who knows how to teach and choreograph routines to showcase the star.

• Love 3

I don't care about Julianne judging her brother's partner and her second cousin she hardly knows, or her own mother, really.  It's reality tv, not the Olympics or the Hunger Games.  I doubt the judges even pick the scores themselves.  

I believe they choose their scores but I do think they confer with each other often.  We saw Bruno whispering the Julianne and it was probably about that.  Carrie Ann was genuniely shocked that she was the only one who gave someone a 7 and the others chose a 6.   What would be the point of a non dance professional from Bravo creating the scores?  I doubt Len would have signed on if that were the case.  

Off camera, in down time, they probably talk about the scoring and it makes sense that they would.  When they see a strong fan base keeping someone in who is lousy their scores are lower to balance that.  Even with that we see some staying long after they should. 

When all is said and done the best dancer wins so it really doesn't matter this early in the game what happens.  Patti cannot win but she will stick around and bump someone better, you can count on that.   She just better not bump Robert.  

Next out Charlotte, that is a given.  Oy. 

• Love 1

I finally was able to watch the episode and I was completely underwhelmed; I didn't really enjoy the dances, some I actively hated (here's looking at you Allison) and the judges complete grated my last nerve.  I didn't find anyone really rootable (with the exception of Ms. LaBelle (because how could you not?); though I do admire both Michael Sam and Noah Galloway (but that's apart from their dancing).

I was squicked out by Chris Soules "discomfort" about having to "touch" Witney - as he's talking, I kept thinking "she's a kid and you're giving off really inappropriate vibes."

Why did the show make Robert Herjavec seem like a smarmy, self-centered, money obsessed guy?  

The introductions were really quite painful with Willow and Charlotte's being the worst.  I do like the fact that Charlotte appears to have a personality and a sense of humor (unlike Lolo).

Tony, don't ever change ...... I love that you just go for it.

Week one and I'm already tired of Val and his "it's been eight seasons and I haven't won yet."

Allison the reason Witney was able to win in her second season is that (1) she had a phenomenal partner in terms of talent, ability, and personality, and (2) she's a trained ballrom dancer who knows how to teach and choreograph routines to showcase the star.

Agree completely with all the above. That was one of the few CA comments I liked--that she loves Tony and loves him even more for always going for it. He knows he'll never be given the winning partner, but he has such a sense of fun with the ones he gets. And ITA about Allison whom I don't like any better this season where she seems trying to win over the audience. I thought she was foolish to say, "If Witney can win in two seasons, I can!" Because, no. She didn't show anything remotely like Witney's talent in her first DWTS season. Allison has a partner that she could, conceivably, win with but I don't think it will happen, even if she makes the finals.

I was really surprised by the routines with backup dancers this early in the season. Especially Derek's full-out Broadway show-stopper with elaborate set and a cast of thousands (well, weren't there at least six?) I know one or two others did something a bit like that, though not as elaborate. But I really doubt it's an option for all of them because rehearsing it would take too much time and demand too much from the troup. I really didn't like it either, it seemed so strange in week 1 where so many of the "stars" really aren't good and are struggling just to get out and remember the routine. Competing against obviously better couples is one thing, but being reminded that some of them also have full resources of staging and dance troup available is even worse. I was surprised Derek went there. (Also surprised he included a lift--"I thought the dress would hide it"--...what?  I've always liked him, really enjoy his choreography, but maybe he really has, finally, become as arrogant as people have said before.)

Someone mentioned missing the announcer telling us what the dance is - many times even knowing what the dance is I don't recognize it because the pro has changed things up so much it's almost unrecognizable.  So for me having the announcer there or not doesn't make a difference.

That's exactly why we need the dance style announced. Everything I know about dancing, I learned from this show. So by now I know enough about the various styles to know if they're doing it properly or not, and can call bullshit when the judges give them a free pass on not doing the style properly. I know they put the dance on the lower left of the screen at the start of it, but if you're not looking for it, it's easy to miss. And you tend to want to look at the dancers from the very beginning, not search the screen for the caption.

By now it's possible that being partnered with Derek is equally a drawback because I think enough people are sick of him that he's no longer a shoe-in to get all the votes no matter how good his partner is. As soon as I saw the dress Nastia was wearing I thought "I wonder what Derek is trying to hide" because he's a master of hiding his partner's weaknesses and that dress was distracting.

I think Riker is going to have the same problem Jonathan did - lots of energy and movement but too wild and undisciplined. Allison never really managed to get Jonathan under control, technique wise, so Riker is going to have to be naturally good from the start.

I did not understand why the Shark Tank guy's scores were a full point higher than the Hunger Games girl's.  Was his dance that much better?  I really couldn't tell that. 

I'm on the fence about watching this season. At least with the male pros, it's jarring to see that certain pros get partners that have no chance to make the finals at all, and probably will be first out (Keo, Tony), and some get gymnasts.  Mark, who has grown on me over the years as he's matured, is kind of a wild card.  I don't think his success with Sadie last season was luck; he was very restrained and thoughtful with her choreography, and it tamed the worst of his annoying tics -- and made her look good.

But I would have loved to see Derek (who is a great choreographer and teacher but maybe not as much as hyped) get La Belle and see what he could do. 

• Love 1

I did not understand why the Shark Tank guy's scores were a full point higher than the Hunger Games girl's.  Was his dance that much better?  I really couldn't tell that. 

I'm on the fence about watching this season. At least with the male pros, it's jarring to see that certain pros get partners that have no chance to make the finals at all, and probably will be first out (Keo, Tony), and some get gymnasts.  Mark, who has grown on me over the years as he's matured, is kind of a wild card.  I don't think his success with Sadie last season was luck; he was very restrained and thoughtful with her choreography, and it tamed the worst of his annoying tics -- and made her look good.

But I would have loved to see Derek (who is a great choreographer and teacher but maybe not as much as hyped) get La Belle and see what he could do. 

I think it was because Robert showed enthusiasm and was clearly having fun.  That goes in the entertainment column when scoring.  They look for showmanship  along with skill.  He was a joy to watch and got points for that.  

• Love 1

A lot of the pro intros were kind of cringe worthy this premiere. Besides Val's "8 seasons and counting" and Allison's tone-deaf "If Witney could do it in 2 seasons..." there was also Keo saying that he's not going to go home first this season, Emma pleading for a win after four seasons a pro, and Derek's cackling about how he just couldn't stay away this season.

Edited by tearbender
  • Love 1
Mark, who has grown on me over the years as he's matured, is kind of a wild card.  I don't think his success with Sadie last season was luck; he was very restrained and thoughtful with her choreography, and it tamed the worst of his annoying tics -- and made her look good.

I think that, when Mark gets one of the young girls, it kind of reigns in a lot of his worst tendencies.  

I think with Mark it's more that he just grew up and got over the worst of rather typical early twenties "look how edgy I am and how I know better than everybody else" tendencies. And he's always been a very kind, very accomodating teacher. He had the patience of ten saints with Bristol Palin. And that was in the middle of his "sturm and drang" phase. Then he seemed kind of burned out with the show, still trying his best, but a bit tired with it. He's been really engaged and very committed since season 18 again, I think. Or perhaps that's my biased perspective because I became a fan that season, I watched for Meryl and Charlie but was super impressed how he handled a rather challenging partner and how both he and Candace just kept pushing and working at it and never gave up, even though it wasn't smooth and easy.

• Love 2

Parts of this show were really, really bad with Charlotte being at the top of the list.  Her intro was cringeworthy, then the bit with the duct tape and lastly, her awful dance.  She should have gotten fours for what little dancing she did.  I hope to heaven wardrobe reigns those things in before she takes out Keo's eyes with them.  Please let her go first.  She is just that bad all around.

Next on the bad list is Riker.  That hair is so distracting I could not even watch him dance.  And you could not see the dance because they had him on that odd stage.  There is no way the judges could see him.   Plus he with Miss Bad Attitude Allison.

Nastia is a disappointment due to the Golden Boy factor.  She could be really good if paired with someone else.  I found the Rumor/Val pairing annoying too.

I enjoyed Willow, Patti, Noah, Robert, Suzanne and Chris.  Mr Gordy was not very good, and Michael Sam was okay.

Willow was underscored due to going first IMO.  She was better than what they gave her.

I must say, after reading all the misogynistic hate Charlotte is getting, I might have to root for her to go all the way to the finals. She seems like a level-headed girl with a good sense of humor who's able to poke fun at herself. She's obviously not the best dancer, but she's not beating herself up over her mistakes and understands she needs to work in order to improve.

• Love 1

I don't think it's misogynistic hate to be annoyed that, on a "family show," we had her intro and practice footage 100 percent devoted to her talking about her boobs and simulated nudity.  

• Love 4

We didn't get to see who she really is as a person, we got to see her treated as a stereotype. I would have loved to have learned something interesting about her as a person, I would have loved to have seen an intro package that showed she's more than just her body; in fact, that's what she said she wanted as well. But her actions didn't follow through with that. If she's cool with that, okay... that's her choice. I'm all for women having choices. But I don't think it's misogynistic to be disappointed that we see yet another woman acting "less than" she probably is, in order to be "funny." Her skit perpetuates the notion that women are for ogling and that attractive women like Charlotte are bubble-headed bimbos who don't know how to take care of themselves (hence the need for Keo to "teach" her about duct taping her breasts). I don't hate her -- I hate that she's seemingly okay with being used like that. I hate that this show didn't try to do something better and honor her as a person. Instead they created a bad first impression that was sadly lacking to me.

• Love 4

share the protective headgear.  I liked Redfoo also!

I liked the fact that Charlotte messed up, but just kept on trucking along.  Didn't seem to get in her head and just freeze her up.  Admirable, and something that a lot of other better dancers weren't able to do.  Don't get me wrong - she was pretty bad as compared to the rest.  But certainly not even in the top 25 for worst over the past seasons.

Derek cannot get off of my television screen fast enough.  It would be like a birthday, lottery win, Christmas and a big Easter basket all rolled into one if he was a "surprise" first week boot.

• Love 1

Can I ask what you mean by "forcing him back over here?"

From the interview he gave, and putting it together with Louis saying he might be back and he knew (or thought he did) about changes they were making to the show, I assume they contacted both Tristan and Louis about Season 20, requiring them to be available. I think Tristan's still on contract to DWTS - not sure about Louis, he may be as well. I've heard they sign newbies up for 5 years - if that's true, Tristan will be free at the end of this year. All just my speculation... maybe he had other reasons for coming back to the USA after finishing the Strictly Come Dancing tour. He's doing a European cruise in May, related to Strictly, and there have been events related to Strictly since the tour ended, that he might could have been involved in.

Edited by Morrigan

Agree completely with all the above. That was one of the few CA comments I liked--that she loves Tony and loves him even more for always going for it. He knows he'll never be given the winning partner, but he has such a sense of fun with the ones he gets. And ITA about Allison whom I don't like any better this season where she seems trying to win over the audience. I thought she was foolish to say, "If Witney can win in two seasons, I can!" Because, no. She didn't show anything remotely like Witney's talent in her first DWTS season. Allison has a partner that she could, conceivably, win with but I don't think it will happen, even if she makes the finals.

I was really surprised by the routines with backup dancers this early in the season. Especially Derek's full-out Broadway show-stopper with elaborate set and a cast of thousands (well, weren't there at least six?) I know one or two others did something a bit like that, though not as elaborate. But I really doubt it's an option for all of them because rehearsing it would take too much time and demand too much from the troup. I really didn't like it either, it seemed so strange in week 1 where so many of the "stars" really aren't good and are struggling just to get out and remember the routine. Competing against obviously better couples is one thing, but being reminded that some of them also have full resources of staging and dance troup available is even worse. I was surprised Derek went there. (Also surprised he included a lift--"I thought the dress would hide it"--...what? I've always liked him, really enjoy his choreography, but maybe he really has, finally, become as arrogant as people have said before.)

Regarding the bolded comment, I'm not sure if you could say Tony was "given the winner" or not, but he *has* won DWTS once. He won the All-Star season (Season 15, which aired in 2012), partnered with reality TV personality Melissa Rycroft (The Bachelor, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team). Tony & Melissa were also paired in DWTS Season 8, when she replaced then Access Hollywood co-anchor/current Entertainment Tonight co-anchor Nancy O'Dell, who injured her knee during pre-season rehearsals; Tony & Melissa placed 3rd in Season 8.

I doubt Tony will win this season with Suzanne Somers. But you might be surprised how far they could possibly get, theoretically speaking.

Over the years, at least as far back as her days in the ABC sitcom Step by Step with Dallas' Patrick Duffy, Suzanne's had a hand in actively creating &/or promoting various product lines, most of which have some form of/play on her name attached to them (fitness-related items, like the Thighmaster; beauty products like the Facemaster; a clothing line on which she collaborated with her stepdaughter, costume/fashion designer Leslie Hamel [who has, in her own right, designed tour/stage costumes for legendary singer Barry Manilow--a close friend of Suzanne & her husband/manager, Alan Hamel--his backup singers & band members, among others]; a jewelry line; a food line/food plan, Somercize; a lower-cal sweetener, Somersweet; now into lines of organic, mineral-based makeup, like Bare Escentuals; vitamins & supplements; "the 3-way poncho", which is sold in stores like Walmart, I think; & numerous books on food/cooking--at least some espousing her Somercize food plan, health--many espousing what would be called "alternative" ways of looking at the medical community & your personal health, "anti-aging", & fitness; also poetry books, at least 2 autobiographies, & a book profiling other famous adult children of alcoholics).

She sold/sells the majority of those items, except for the books which are also sold in bookstores, & "the 3-way poncho", strictly--& formerly--on HSN (Home Shopping Network) & now on ShopHQ (formerly ShopNBC). And she usually generates *huge* sales for the home shopping channel involved. She may have also sold her wares through QVC at 1 time, but I'm not positive.

Thanks to all of those product lines, as well as the 3 sitcoms Suzanne's starred in since the 70s (Three's Company, She's the Sheriff & Step by Step) in particular among her TV work, she has a pretty darn big fanbase from which to generate votes. Again, I don't think she'll make the finals--or even the semis--but, like Gladys Knight a few seasons ago, she might last longer than you'd expect, based on the strength of her fanbase.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

I'm really angry at how they treated Tristan - and have done since the start. Louis too. And Alec, Jonathan, Dmitry, Gleb... But the Tristan situation takes the cake. Forcing him back over here because of his contract when there were other things he could have been doing in the UK - it just sucks. At least I don't have to watch this hyped up fakery with the propped princeling. Good riddance.

Oh, you mean Val?  Val who has never really had a challenging partner.  He has always had a ringer or someone with some dance skills.  Since this is supposed to be "his season" and "his time", they let him get away with that non-Foxtrot.  Len basically declaring that it's Val's turn was just rude and disrespectful.  Everybody else should just stay home because only Val matters.

If this entire season is going to be about finally getting Val the win, then I'm out.  I have no reason to watch the nonsense and how they will twist and turn themselves to get that boy the win.  And he will be getting the gold mirror ball.  That would probably make him way more insufferable than his brother.

The pros have no control over who they get as a partner, so I'm not holding the producers' choices against them. Frankly, I'd give Mark/Val/Derek who I thought were the three best females anyway because they seem to be the more popular pros, or at least the ones the create the most controversy/discussion. The female pros, for the most part, seem to avoid the fandom wars thankfully.

I really enjoyed the variety of the dances in this episode. We had crazy over the top routines, elegance, and straight dancing but in three styles so it's easier to compare and contrast. And, I find most everyone to be incredibly likeable - pros and celebrities. I actually don't really want anyone to go home, yet.

• Love 1

The pros have no control over who they get as a partner, so I'm not holding the producers' choices against them. 

I really don't think that's true.

The show may not admit someone like Derek, for example, has power over the process... but he does. 

There's a hierarchy.  Some of the pros know for sure that they are celebs as big or bigger than the guests and can make some demands.  Some might mis-make that call and magically wind up off the show the next season.  Some know they are eternally in the middle counting the years till a younger pro takes over for them. And some might push on the producers subtly for years and eventually get a concession.

My assumption, by the way, is that someone on Derek's level, while he might not outright be consulted initially... the producers probably know darn well they usually want him to have someone ambitious, and he's just got veto power.

Elisabetta Canalis and Sherri Shepherd had dance skills? ;0

I thought Sherri had basic rhythm, and at the very least wasn't afraid to just go for it. I understand her personality wasn't everyone's cup of tea, though. I actually thought she brought out the best in Val.

I think there are 2 types of pros on this show, ones that enjoy the dancing and ones that enjoy the teaching/choreographing/creative aspect. The live rehearsals have been an eye opener in that regard for me.

The foxtrot by Val and Rumer seemed more like a paso to me.  Hard, aggressive, with lots of sharp stops and starts.

I see your point, but I thought the choreography fit the melodrama of the song (that I HATE). At least we got that song out of the way - have I mentioned that I hate it? :-)

I love that song (and the entire album it comes from)... but I love it sung by Hozier, not the Dancing with the Stars band.

Out of curiosity, Fliz, what is it about the song that you hate? That it's becoming overplayed in the media? Don't like the message? Don't like the style of it? Something else?

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

Out of curiosity, Fliz, what is it about the song that you hate? That it's becoming overplayed in the media? Don't like the message? Don't like the style of it? Something else?

Sinkwriter, I think familiarity bred contempt - it's inescapable.

I must say, after reading all the misogynistic hate Charlotte is getting, I might have to root for her to go all the way to the finals. She seems like a level-headed girl with a good sense of humor who's able to poke fun at herself. She's obviously not the best dancer, but she's not beating herself up over her mistakes and understands she needs to work in order to improve.

Wow. I could not disagree more.

Mileage...varies...

• Love 4

Sinkwriter, I think familiarity bred contempt - it's inescapable.

Totally know what you mean. That's why I don't listen to the radio that often. I want to hear new songs, but I can't stand it when the radio stations then play them ad nauseum. It takes the magic out of it. There are definitely songs I used to love a lot that I can't listen to anymore because they got so overplayed and overused seemingly everywhere. With "Take Me To Church" I don't want to ever hate it so I just listen to it when I want to listen to it, and sometimes skip it and enjoy the rest of the album (which in my opinion is very good, one of those where I like every song on it).

What's funny is even though I love that song and it was only three days ago, I totally forgot that Rumer and Val danced to it. I think I tuned out the music because I didn't like the way the band performed it, and then I immediately erased it from my memory. The only thing I remember about their dance is that I liked the dance itself. Other performances have stuck with me because the music and the dance were wonderfully interesting enough to stick with me -- like Alfonso/Witney/Lindsay's paso doble to "Turn Down for What" (which as a radio-avoider I had not heard before that performance, LOL, so it was all new and interesting to me) and Derek and Bethany's rumba to "Try."

• Love 1

I am currently in love with Take Me to Church. I don't listen to the radio, but it was performed on The Sing Off, and it gave me goosebumps. Watch it on YouTube.

Regarding Charlotte, I would sympathize with her if she didn't happily play along with the show. I wear the same bra size, and believe it or not, I actually go days (if not years) without discussing my breasts. It's just really not a big deal. Tip #1 - if you didn't go braless, people wouldn't be hypnotized by your boobs.

If there's mysogyny, it's on the show's part. And Charlotte (possibly through ignorance) is aiding and abetting.

• Love 1

For the betting folks here are the Pre- Season and then the Odds for Monday March 23 

Monday March 16 

Nastia Liukin 2/1
Noah Galloway 4/1
Riker Lynch 7/1
Michael Sam 9/1
Charlotte McKinney 10/1
Patti LaBelle 12/1
Redfoo 12/1
Suzanne Somers 12/1
Willow Shields 12/1
Rumer Willis 16/1
Robert Herjavec 20/1

Dancing With The Stars Season 20 - Odds to Win Monday March 23
All wagers have action.
7:00p
Nastia Liukin
6/5 
Rumer Willis
5/1 
Riker Lynch
6/1 
Noah Galloway
7/1 
Michael Sam
15/2 
Robert Herjavec
10/1 
Chris Soules
20/1 
Patti LaBelle
20/1 
Redfoo
33/1 
Suzanne Somers
33/1 
Willow Shields
33/1 
Charlotte McKinney
50/1

Having had a few days to think it over, I am surprised at how little I missed Cheryl.  I believe it's because the whole thing was so absurd.  She would most likely have been paired with old rich dude (Robert) again and my guess is he is doing better without the taskmaster approach.  

More than ever, there are no standards beyond creating heat.  I've always taken Cheryl as being someone who tried to honor the dance.  That is not gonna happen, on any level, this year.  

I'm all for women showcasing their beauty and sexuality (go Peta!) but I don't think it's misogynist to hate Charlotte's bimbo package because she hasn't shown any attributes to root for (yet). She didn't give me anything to know about her other than what you can tell just by looking at her. And that is nothing special to me because countless other blondes did it before her. So just basing it off of that I haven't written her off but I don't think she will survive and that's too bad because Keo hasn't even begun yet and she also has potential to be good because she can move and has a dancer's physique.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

I liked Willow. I think that her age will work in her favor because sometimes being young makes you fearless. I just hope they don't keep using that "youngest competitor ever" schtick because it's already old. She's 14. I GET IT. And to be fair, I think there are plenty of Disney actors and actresses who would have loved to do DWTS at that age too if only the show would have let them do it. I liked that she was dressed appropriately without looking like she was being infantalized or put in a really young/immature/babyish/mall type outfit or trying too hard to look older.

She doesn't have great technique but she seems decently coordinated so if she can last for a few weeks, she may show a lot of improvement. She already has the performance aspect though. She was working it and a lot of her body movements were large and open (instead of tight and small). I can't stand Mark so it would pain me to vote for Willow.

I have only watched one episode of Shark Tank so I have very little opinion about Robert. He looked like he was having fun but I'd like to see him do a dance with more challenging choreography. I thought it was hilarious that Julianne said he pointed his feet and then they showed a clip of him NOT pointing his feet. He also needs to pull his shoulders back so that he doesn't look like he's hunched over. I'e seen a lot of those glittery bedazzled leotards with skirts but I really liked what Kym was wearing. Sparkly with lots of swinging beads but without showing any cleavage.

I am an old person so I couldn't pick any of the members of R5 out of a lineup. I felt like they were trying to sell Riker as goofy and fun in his package but what I got was typical teen boy with the burping and the sweating. I loved Alison on SYTYCD so I had high hopes for her last season which were dashed on multiple levels. I will say that Riker had a lot of energy in his jive and he really got his knees up which is something that a lot of contestants on this show can't do. It will be interesting to see how well he does with a foxtrot where he has to be elegant instead of energetic.

I know very little about Charlotte, but what I do know is that if every time she's on camera she is either making duck faces or smiling with her mouth wide open, i will be fast forwarding. Man, her boobs are so huge that post had to blur out her side boob during the Austin Powers intro (thanks to one of those behind the scenes specials on The Real World, I learned all about how what has to be pixelated - you can see the top of the boob but underboob and side boob are what the censors freak out about).

Her jive was a mess though. Her knees weren't high (she barely raised them a few inches), her energy was low, the choreography seemed really simple and she still couldn't handle it. I give her credit for messing up and then continuing on without freaking out or completely melting down. I know later in the season, the judges say that you can't compare one person's scores against another person's scores but I really can't help but do that during the first week. How did Charlotte score a hair lower than Willow who did much better?

Ha, I totally understand Patti getting dizzy. Doing turns when you aren't used to them can be disorienting. But I love that she told Artem not to change anything and that she would get it. She had a grace and poise to her but I fear she will not be long for this world once she gets a faster dance like the jive. Artem seems like an awesome partner for her. But again, how did this score higher than Willow? I thought she was much better than he was.

Chris was not great. He wasn't as bad as Willard in Footloose but he was also not very good. He is too stiff and stompy.

Normally I don't like Erin (she's not the worst but she is pretty terrible as a host/interviewer) but I loved that she asked Chris what mental hurdle he had about dancing with Witney after he made out with every chick on The Bachelor. HA!

Sneaking up on someone at football practice seems like a good way to get accidentally smacked or knocked over. Be safe, Peta! I love when the athletes admit that doing a 60 second routine is harder than the sport they play. I also loved that he is enough of a fan of the show that he recognized Peta as soon as he turned out. On the plus side, he should have good cardio/endurance skills. He had some moments where he looked really great. You can tell when he has those moments where he's really comfortable with the steps and it shows. That just makes the contrast much more obvious when he doesn't feel as comfortable with other movements.

I loved that Nastia is a fan of the show and that her first reaction to seeing Derek was, "I thought you weren't doing the show anymore!" Normally I don't like when they add other dancers to a contestant's routine but this was an example of the perfect use of extraneous dancers - quick kickline and then gone. I agree with what Bruno and Julianne said about how Nastia needs to be careful because of her flexibility. I know non-flexible people might hear that and think boo hoo, what a terrible problem to have, but it really is an issue that I've seen in some dancers.

I'm glad Emma pointed out Redfoo's natural dance abilities are just about the exact opposite of Latin ballroom. Every season people complain about any contestant with a dance background and they don't seem to comprehend that knowing one dance style doesn't mean you can do ballroom, just like being good at baseball doesn't mean you will automatically be good at soccer or that playing the piano means that you will be able to play the violin. If that were true, Suzanne Somers would have done a lot better since aerobics is just dancing.

Redfoo's routine was an example of why I don't like other dancers in the routine - distracting and pointless. Just from the short intro package, I can imagine that Redfoo might be exhausting to be around. His costume reminded me a lot of him - you can't help but stop and ask, "What the hell is going on?" but that doesn't necessarily mean that you like it, just that it's impossible not to notice it. His cha cha was not great. It was a bit messy and sloppy. He was enthusiastic though.

I really disliked Sharna's choreography. I know it's only week one and she's dancing with a guy who has a prosthetic, but there was too much of him standing still while she danced around him.

Suzanne Somers looks amazing and fit for 68. Her dancing was not good though. I give Tony a lot of credit for wearing a leotard to meet her. Ha! But how in the hell did she get even one 7?

Based on just tonight, Rumer is the one to beat. The judges were practically tripping over each other to compliment her.

I wonder how long it will take before the powers that be talk Rumer into dancing to Adele's "Rumor Has It"?
They'll ChaCha to "Rumor Has It" next week.

So will they be dancing to "I Heard a Rumour" by Bananarama for 80s week? If only Rumer had been born a year earlier they could have used it for her "year I was born" song!

ETA: I can't stand "Take Me to Church" (I don't like the melody) and the studio singer who was screeching it during Rumer's dance was TERRIBLE.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I have to say, about Charlotte's intro package, it didn't personally make me dislike her, but having watched this show since the first season, I knew it definitely wouldn't help her with the show's audience. It was obvious to me that the producers thought they were going for the funny but I agree with others that ultimately it just did her a disservice. She starts off saying she's doing the show to show America she's more than her boobs and can be a great dancer and instead the first two minutes, is a gag all about her boobs and then to make it worse the good dancing part did not happen. 

• Love 1

Charlotte's dancing reminded me of Wynonna Judd. Wynonna barely moved when she danced because maybe she was afraid she'd jiggle. Charlotte seemed afraid to move because her boobs might possibly knock her out. Or I'm wrong and she just can't dance. At all.

I really didn't care for the way they did Robert and Kym's intro (most of the intros were cheesy). They made him seem materialistic and Kym seem like a gold digger. I liked their chemistry together during rehearsals. He's a cutie.

Patti looks great and she and Artem did well, but I think she'll have trouble with the faster dances.

Michael Sam has a nice personality and great enthusiasm. He was totally in his element and looked like he really enjoyed himself during his dance. I hope he'll stay around.

Redfoo and Emma. Ugh, Emma's choreography always annoys me for some reason. Are they going to be using LMFAO and/or Redfoo's music every week? I dare them to dance to "Yes". It's very catchy but they'll need to modify some lyrics.

Sharna's choreography is so underwhelming. I'm not a fan of Peta, but I really think she would have made a good partner for Noah. She would definitely know how to play up that hotness of his.

Suzanne and Tony did alright, but that song made me wish Olivia Newton-John would come on as a contestant.

Rumer was my least favorite coming in to the show (among those I knew), but she was a pleasant surprise. I hope she does well because of her dancing ability and not because the show wants to make it Val's turn to win. I don't have a problem with him winning, I just don't like all the producer manipulations in order to arrive at a preplanned ending. While I still find Rumer's looks somewhat unfortunate, she looks much better when she smiles. I loved her reaction to her scores, as well as her sister and stepmother's excitement during her dance.

I'm not sure I miss Karina and Cheryl, but it's not the same without them. I fast forwarded through the requisite Mandy Moore opening and the judges critiques. Why is Julianne even there, now I can't despise Carrie Ann as much.

• Love 1

I'd be more inclined to believe the show entices Derek back each season by offering him interesting/talented 'stars' than that he demands them himself. 

I also think the bigger stars' publicists or managers have got to make demands for certain dance pros, at the outset.  They know their star looks better and lasts longer with a Derek than a Keo or Gleb.  

I'd be more inclined to believe the show entices Derek back each season by offering him interesting/talented 'stars' than that he demands them himself.   

I don't disagree,  I think he just has the power to say "no" (in other words he's told who he'd get specifically to draw him back), and if he doesn't like a choice, there will never BE a meeting between him and the celeb (as well as a decent chance they may keep offering him different ringers, er... I mean "celebs" UNTIL he says yes).

And I think it's fair to say that most of the pros just have to take what they're given, maybe someone like Macks or Karina barely reaching a point where if they stir up things enough, maybe the NEXT season they get a better bone tossed to them, but they probably don't get to outright veto anyone already assigned to them.

Yeah, I think some dancers get who they get.  I can't see Derek vetoing stars until he gets one he likes but who knows.  I can see him ending a season and telling them he's leaning toward skipping the next one, then changing his mind to do 'one more' when they tell him "We can get Nastia Leukin, but only if you take her!  Please!  We need some bigger names!"  

All wild supposition, of course.  I'm sure dollar amounts are thrown around, too.  Maybe even perks like Macy's Stars of Dance type duties.  

Having had a few days to think it over, I am surprised at how little I missed Cheryl.  I believe it's because the whole thing was so absurd.  She would most likely have been paired with old rich dude (Robert) again and my guess is he is doing better without the taskmaster approach.  

More than ever, there are no standards beyond creating heat.  I've always taken Cheryl as being someone who tried to honor the dance.  That is not gonna happen, on any level, this year.  

I was so irritated when Witney got Alfonso last season. She hadn't paid her dues and she gets the ringer?  He should have been Cheryl's.  Witney and Alfonso were cute together, but he's so affable, he could have gotten along with anyone.

• Love 2

Cheryl was so intense with Alfonso, though -- even though he also enjoyed working with Cheryl during the switch, he seemed to have more light-hearted fun with Witney, and I think he needed that.

P.S. Anyone forced to do the "Car Wash" song with the skeevy Michael Waltrip has definitely paid some dues.  ;)

• Love 4

I was so irritated when Witney got Alfonso last season. She hadn't paid her dues and she gets the ringer?  He should have been Cheryl's.  Witney and Alfonso were cute together, but he's so affable, he could have gotten along with anyone.

Yeah, but the reason she got him wasn't about dues paid on the show and was clearly more about ABC doing their usual scheming to draw in various viewership segments from outlying fanbases.  While there's a large amount of cross-over already, it seemed like a definite move to draw in even more So You Think You Can Dance fans.  Also, if we're being totally honest here, Alfonso is 5' 6".  The shorter the partner, the better he was going to look.  Cheryl and Witney are close enough in height (Cheryl 5' 4", Witney 5' 3"), I suppose it could have still been either of them, but I DO think most of the rest of the recent female pros are taller, so I don't know if we can really (with the "got along with anyone") infer it might have been anyone BESIDES those two.  Also, finally, to be brutally honest, I bet the producers like the visual contrast they get casting black and white (especially perky blond) partners.

• Love 1