Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

They managed to sell it pretty quickly. Surprising, I know.

Depends on local market.  Maybe to us it is awful but to the buyers it was "charming".  Or, they saw past the stuff, gutted it and started over.

3 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

The 1980’s Grandma Chic style is a huge deterrent. Even though I can generally visualize a space when touring homes, all of that outdated design is a LOT to overcome.  Add to that the “curb appeal” (there is none) and you have a huge albatross to unload. 

Unless I am making things up, wasn’t it an 80’s Grandma that Jill grifted the house from? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Unless I am making things up, wasn’t it an 80’s Grandma that Jill grifted the house from? 

If so, Jill probably managed to get the furnishings included in the grift. It doesn't look like she took most of them to the barndo. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

That house needed major renovations to be updated. Maybe the people who bought it were house flippers. 

Or they were people who had several children and needed something cheap they could move into right now. Had that has been available in my area when my husband & I were moving with 5 kids from Arizona and only had 2 weeks to find a place to live, I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat. It's in far better shape than the fixer-upper we ended up with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I'm not sure exactly where in West Virginia they lived, but if it was a fairly rural area there may not have been a large inventory of homes for sale and it isn't inconceivable that it was snapped up quickly. 

Also, contrary to what HGTV would have us believe, there are lots of people who don't care about decor and upgrades and just want a place to live.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I'm not sure exactly where in West Virginia they lived, but if it was a fairly rural area there may not have been a large inventory of homes for sale and it isn't inconceivable that it was snapped up quickly. 

Also, contrary to what HGTV would have us believe, there are lots of people who don't care about decor and upgrades and just want a place to live.

They lived on the outskirts of Charleston. They had a Charleston address at any rate.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Tigregirl said:

I cannot believe there is not one adult there who sees how inappropriate this is.  Or I guess I can believe it since Jill thinks this is so wonderful that she has to post it on social media.  Jill, grown men should not have young teens giving them massages.  You may think it’s sweet and loving but it isn’t.  Children do not massage adults.

Yes, that's really unsettling. I was also taken aback by the "always." So, this isn't just a one-time thing. 😞

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

So what is Tim so busy with that he can only come one night?  He's either working or doing some sort of education.

I suspect that Jill was being passive-aggressive and deceitful (big surprise there). I think “So glad Timothy could come for one night” is code for “Timothy is still in the dog house and I’m only letting him join us for ONE night to spite all the haters who are spreading rumors that I’m not a perfect mother!”

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Tigregirl said:

I cannot believe there is not one adult there who sees how inappropriate this is.  Or I guess I can believe it since Jill thinks this is so wonderful that she has to post it on social media.  Jill, grown men should not have young teens giving them massages.  You may think it’s sweet and loving but it isn’t.  Children do not massage adults.

That’s creepy and gross AF. Even if the child didn’t think it was weird and offered, where are the adults to step in? Why didn’t this Pastor dude say “no thank you”. It’s very gross. Can you say GROOMING?

• Love 12

All these pastors the Rods hang out with look alike--overweight, middle-aged white men with creepy smiles. What does the caption on that photo mean anyway: Gabriel always rubs Pastor Steve Cowgill's shoulders while here to be a blessing (big laugh, smile emojis). 

50 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Why didn’t this Pastor dude say “no thank you”. It’s very gross. Can you say GROOMING?

Maybe he likes it and expects it from all the obedient little boys who visit. Hard to say.

What's that strange graphic on Jill's t-shirt? 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Maybe he likes it and expects it from all the obedient little boys who visit. Hard to say.

Again- GROOMING. This is text book on how predators are able to manipulate families for access to abuse their kids. Slightly crossing the line and seeing if the kid/family finds anything amiss. 

Any “normal” adult would tell the child “no thank you” (politely). 

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Slightly crossing the line and seeing if the kid/family finds anything amiss. 

YES! I don't know if any of you have watched the Netflix documentary Abducted in Plain Sight, but it's a really extreme example of how this happens. And as with all abusers, once they see that you don't react, they amplify the creepiness/out-of-boundary behavior. The fact that this has happened multiple times, and the Rods don't see a problem with it, and the preacher doesn't object, makes me feel so bad for that poor kid. 

• Love 21
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

YES! I don't know if any of you have watched the Netflix documentary Abducted in Plain Sight, but it's a really extreme example of how this happens. And as with all abusers, once they see that you don't react, they amplify the creepiness/out-of-boundary behavior. The fact that this has happened multiple times, and the Rods don't see a problem with it, and the preacher doesn't object, makes me feel so bad for that poor kid. 

Yes- we had a pretty good discussion in a thread for it last year. Here is the thread .

I can see how an over worked parent could miss initial grooming (these types often target kids who’s parents are working a lot, caring for another family member who’s high needs etc), but BOTH parents are sitting RIGHT THERE and one took the photo.

What in the fuckity fuck fuck. 

Yes I feel so bad for the kid. Of course the child is not to blame, and may actually have a real need for (non sexual) affection and this is the only way they are allowed to get it, but it’s not appropriate and it’s up to the adults to let the kid know that. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

may actually have a real need for (non sexual) affection and this is the only way they are allowed to get it

This is so heartbreaking

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, rue721 said:

This is so heartbreaking

I know. 

Some people are more affectionate than others. I personally am not a hugger, and quarantine didn’t turn me into one. If people want to hug me “okay” but it’s not a thing for me. (I’m more okay with kids wanting to hug me than adults)

14 is a hard age in general, and he’s got so many older sisters who may have cuddled him and things when he was little but now it’s not “okay” because of weirdo rules about siblings but he can massage a grown man’s shoulders??? Weird. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

i feel so bad for the kid. Of course the child is not to blame, and may actually have a real need for (non sexual) affection and this is the only way they are allowed to get it, but it’s not appropriate and it’s up to the adults to let the kid know

I think that Jill, being a narcissist, has starved her kids in more ways than one and that they've learned from an early age that the only way to get positive notice is to cater to a grownup.  The only time Jill seems to heap praise on her kids is when they are bringing her gifts of candy and stuffed animals, sending her cards singing her praises, or vowing to eat less so there will be enough for the new baby.  David hasn't seemed any better, either.  So, these kids have spent their whole lives giving figurative and literal backrubs to the adults in hopes of getting some positive attention.  Jill has set them up to be at the mercy of any adult who shows them kindness.  I pray this pastor doesn't take advantage of these kids beyond the back rubs.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

I think that Jill, being a narcissist, has starved her kids in more ways than one and that they've learned from an early age that the only way to get positive notice is to cater to a grownup.  The only time Jill seems to heap praise on her kids is when they are bringing her gifts of candy and stuffed animals, sending her cards singing her praises, or vowing to eat less so there will be enough for the new baby.  David hasn't seemed any better, either.  So, these kids have spent their whole lives giving figurative and literal backrubs to the adults in hopes of getting some positive attention.  Jill has set them up to be at the mercy of any adult who shows them kindness.  I pray this pastor doesn't take advantage of these kids beyond the back rubs.

I can see that. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Yes! That documentary is full of EXTREME WTF!

Apparently the name of the Rod’s church is simply “Bible Believing Baptist Church.” Come on now, show just a bit of creativity!

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Yes! That documentary is full of EXTREME WTF!

Apparently the name of the Rod’s church is simply “Bible Believing Baptist Church.” Come on now, show just a bit of creativity!

Jill's church is now known as Covid Baptist. 😁

46 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

As long as that pastor donates half a cow or a table he can do what he wants and can do no wrong.

That picture sent chills down my spine. 

This is not their regular pastor.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Sarah Maxwell posted a Father's Day post to her dad and her brothers. 

"Happy Father’s Day, Dad! We’re grateful for you and your faithfulness to the Lord Jesus and our family. You love to share Christ and look for those opportunities, you’re quick to serve, you invest in dads’ lives as God opens the doors, and you are an amazing role model for your sons and grandsons.

As the five brothers (Nathan, Christopher, Joseph, John, and Jesse) grew up, you taught them valuable life skills that established them for successful manhood and fatherhood. They truly have reaped from your investment!

We girls (Sarah, Anna, and Mary) also have learned so much from you, and we’re grateful for that and your never ending love for us.

A special Happy Father’s Day to my brothers: Nathan (w/6 kiddos), Christopher (w/6 kiddos), Joseph (w/3 kiddos), and John, the new dad to 2 kids! What an incredible heritage."

By new dad, she means John's wife Chelsy gave birth to second child on Friday.  It seems strange to me that she left out her sisters-in-law, but then the whole message is a little off. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I suspect that Jill was being passive-aggressive and deceitful (big surprise there). I think “So glad Timothy could come for one night” is code for “Timothy is still in the dog house and I’m only letting him join us for ONE night to spite all the haters who are spreading rumors that I’m not a perfect mother!”

I took it as a dig at Tim because he only came ONE night and not every night. 

45 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Sarah Maxwell posted a Father's Day post to her dad and her brothers. 

<snip>
It seems strange to me that she left out her sisters-in-law, but then the whole message is a little off. 

I think probably because it’s a Father’s Day tribute and he is not technically their father and they are not fathers. Maybe she acknowledged them in her Mother’s Day post?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Zella said:

YES! I don't know if any of you have watched the Netflix documentary Abducted in Plain Sight, but it's a really extreme example of how this happens. 

I saw it and that shit is so mind-blowing it makes the Tiger King crew look milquetoast by comparison. 

The Rod kid rubbing the older guy's shoulders is all kinds of wrong. No sane adult would be comfortable with that kind of contact.

• Love 8

I imagine Pastor Stiff Shoulders has a wife who might be willing to help loosen him up. Heating pads and gentle exercise help too. At my age, I have plenty of achy  joints. So does my husband. Neither of us gets massages from kids or even from most adults because that's creepy. 

Poor persecuted Jill. She's having a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Jesus is just shaking his head sadly and sighing. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 16

More red flags than the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!

To his credit, that pastor looks incredibly uncomfortable in the picture. I can see Jill insisting on it despite his protestations.

Poor Gabriel - he always looks so eager to please and is the one I most want to rescue. I don't think he gets much positive attention (nor do the other not-Timothy boys. I can't even remember their names without looking them up)

• Love 12
45 minutes ago, Insert Username said:

More red flags than the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!

To his credit, that pastor looks incredibly uncomfortable in the picture. I can see Jill insisting on it despite his protestations.

Poor Gabriel - he always looks so eager to please and is the one I most want to rescue. I don't think he gets much positive attention (nor do the other not-Timothy boys. I can't even remember their names without looking them up)

I didn't read his face as uncomfortable at all. To me, it looks like he's sporting a big shiteating grin.

• Love 9
(edited)
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jill 'splains away Gabriel's inappropriate massage (end of her screed).

Jill really doesn’t get marketing, does she. (Which is what missionarying or whatever it’s called really is.) People are rarely threatened into choosing anything, especially if it’s as amorphous as, “some day when you’re dead you won’t be burning forever.” 
Why not play up the comforting aspects of religion? The social contact, the meditative benefits of prayer, the rituals, always having someone to “talk”to...See Jill, I came up with those just like that and I’m an atheist.

Of course, what Jill gets out of religion is the opportunity to judge, harass and control others. That’s a tougher sell for sane people. 

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 3
  • Love 20

Tim is back in the spider's web, but would he be able to get a job in a new area with so many businesses closed or cut back? Does he have transportation to get to a job? Does he have money to pay for an online course? Whether or not he chose to spend only one evening at the tent rally, Tim is obviously not in Jill's good graces right now, and I doubt she's shelling out any money to help him. Poor guy. Crossing Devil Mama comes at a steep price. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Tim is back in the spider's web, but would he be able to get a job in a new area with so many businesses closed or cut back? Does he have transportation to get to a job? Does he have money to pay for an online course? Whether or not he chose to spend only one evening at the tent rally, Tim is obviously not in Jill's good graces right now, and I doubt she's shelling out any money to help him. Poor guy. Crossing Devil Mama comes at a steep price. 

I know the Purell plant is in their area and was desperate for employees.

• Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

He grifted a car while he was out at college in the northwest; he probably still has it.  There are a lot of jobs out there for essential workers.  It looks like he has experience working in nursing homes or some sort of residential care facility and they are always looking for people.  A young guy with experience who can do some heavy lifting should be able to find a job fairly easily.

He isn't qualified for any sort of skilled work and never was; the pandemic is not a big deal as long as he's willing to go out and do the work.

ETA: the Purell factory is about an hour's drive each way from Wooster, so, not that close.  They are known to pay well and have good benefits though and getting a job there would be a step up for Tim.  Then he can move to Cuyahoga Falls and get away from Mommie Dearest's clutches.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10