Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

AFAIK Nurie and Nathan can get married in July or whenever- the question is, can they have a big wedding with lots of guests, etc. I wonder if that Joy Baptist Church is holding weddings in addition to Sunday services. And if so, would the church allow a reception within their facilities, or marriage ceremony only. 

Dear God, I hope by July things are better than they are now! I'm hoping we won't have to social distance as much. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

I feel like it's only a matter of time before one of these large fundie families has a case of coronavirus and it spreads like wildfire amongst their kids and communities. None of them seem to understand social distancing, wearing gloves and masks, or doing simple things like staying home. And I feel like the Rodrigues kids would be very high risk given how thin and sallow they all look. 

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Dear God, I hope by July things are better than they are now! I'm hoping we won't have to social distance as much. 

I talked to my doctor (virtually), and she said she thinks if people start mingling in the summer, the virus could return hard in the fall. Of course, no one knows with this one, as she admitted. Until there are tests and a vaccine, I'm staying safe, however. 

Does anyone think Nurie's wedding is about anybody but Jill? The idiot will not give up her moment in the spotlight even if it puts people at serious risk. Who really wants to show up in the Rods' backyard to fete Jill with a peanut butter, cracker, and Kool-Aid reception? Personally, I wouldn't die for that experience. Well, only if the decorations were really, really, Jill-level tacky-awful. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I talked to my doctor (virtually), and she said she thinks if people start mingling in the summer, the virus could return hard in the fall. Of course, no one knows with this one, as she admitted. Until there are tests and a vaccine, I'm staying safe, however. 

Does anyone think Nurie's wedding is about anybody but Jill? The idiot will not give up her moment in the spotlight even if it puts people at serious risk. Who really wants to show up in the Rods' backyard to fete Jill with a peanut butter, cracker, and Kool-Aid reception? Personally, I wouldn't die for that experience. Well, only if the decorations were really, really, Jill-level tacky-awful. 

You know, one week before the coronavirus hit the fan in my state (Washington), my husband and I bought airline tickets and booked a hotel for a week in Hawaii.  (We have never been there and we're old).

The tickets are for the last week of October.  Either this pandemic will be contained and we will be living normally, or else we'll be well within the next wave.

Luckily I did buy the travel insurance in case we need to cancel.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, sondraK said:

https://amishamerica.com/inspectors-catch-amish-breaking-gathering-limit-at-wedding-reception/#maincontent

Idk if Jill lives nearby,but these ppl got caught for breaking the limit at a wedding

Story says there were 30 at the reception. Honestly, that's REALLY social distancing for an Amish reception. It's basically the immediate family of the bride and groom. Figure bride (1), parents, (2,3) siblings (4, 5, 6,7, 8), grandparents, (9, 10, 11, 12)... double this for the groom's side and you are at 24. If a few of the siblings on each side are married or if the parents had more than 6 kids, bingo, 30. Pretty much it was a family dinner, not a reception, so it really could be they weren't trying to break the rule, that they thought that a family dinner would be okay. Yes, there was 300 at the wedding, but that's A-Okay, it's the 30 at the reception that's the issue. Normally it would be all 300 from the wedding and then basically a second reception of sorts held yesterday as a mixer for the unmarrieds to hang out, usually about 50 at least. When I worked in Geauga County, in the Amish community of Middlefield, weddings were Thursday, and the second reception was Friday, which was also "Amish Day Out" as we called it. Lots of shopping during the day and then Friday nights the young Amish would go to town to hang out.... in the hopping plaza were the store that I was a manager at was. Yeah, it had the Ames I worked at (think Walmart on a smaller scale), a Dominos, a Chinese restaurant, and a grocery store... across the street was a McDonalds and a Burger King. Oh, and a Subway with a Hershey's ice cream shop if I remember correctly. I mean damn, how could the young Amish NOT go crazy on a Friday night with all that excitement! I'd have to guess this wedding was in Middlefield, the next Amish community is in Mesopotamia Ohio, but Mespo isn't in Geauga County. 

If Nurie's wedding happens in July, the reception would be much the same. Hell, if just bride, groom, parents, grandparents, and siblings, no spouses, come, it would be over 30  right there. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

Duggar family friend Kristen Nicole Young posted pictures of herself at a wedding in Hot Springs Arkansas. It was within the last two weeks. It's on Instagram as a normal post. She says they "social distanced" but she's clearly standing next to the bride and the groom. Who knows how many people took pictures with the bride and groom? 

Also this may be mean, but Kristen went dressed like an old timey opera singer lounging in her dressing room. I get she likes the boho look, but she's underdressed for a wedding. 

Tacos4life lady?  She looks like she has a bandage on her head. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Story says there were 30 at the reception. Honestly, that's REALLY social distancing for an Amish reception. It's basically the immediate family of the bride and groom. Figure bride (1), parents, (2,3) siblings (4, 5, 6,7, 8), grandparents, (9, 10, 11, 12)... double this for the groom's side and you are at 24. If a few of the siblings on each side are married or if the parents had more than 6 kids, bingo, 30. Pretty much it was a family dinner, not a reception, so it really could be they weren't trying to break the rule, that they thought that a family dinner would be okay. Yes, there was 300 at the wedding, but that's A-Okay, it's the 30 at the reception that's the issue. Normally it would be all 300 from the wedding and then basically a second reception of sorts held yesterday as a mixer for the unmarrieds to hang out, usually about 50 at least. When I worked in Geauga County, in the Amish community of Middlefield, weddings were Thursday, and the second reception was Friday, which was also "Amish Day Out" as we called it. Lots of shopping during the day and then Friday nights the young Amish would go to town to hang out.... in the hopping plaza were the store that I was a manager at was. Yeah, it had the Ames I worked at (think Walmart on a smaller scale), a Dominos, a Chinese restaurant, and a grocery store... across the street was a McDonalds and a Burger King. Oh, and a Subway with a Hershey's ice cream shop if I remember correctly. I mean damn, how could the young Amish NOT go crazy on a Friday night with all that excitement! I'd have to guess this wedding was in Middlefield, the next Amish community is in Mesopotamia Ohio, but Mespo isn't in Geauga County. 

If Nurie's wedding happens in July, the reception would be much the same. Hell, if just bride, groom, parents, grandparents, and siblings, no spouses, come, it would be over 30  right there. 

Thx for that 🙂

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

This is very interesting--thank you!

I must confess, though, the idea of a crazy Amish Friday night made me think of Weird Al. 🤣

download.jpg.0110b6516070dfb03ea09a1643988a7e.jpg

Only if I finish my chores and you finish thine, though. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, McManda said:

People seem to think "social distance" means not meeting new people, and that people you already know is okay.

What it really means is if you absolutely HAVE to go out to keep at least 6 feet between you and others, but ideally you stay at home and personally interact with no one outside of people living in your residence. 

(*Waving at neighbors is okay. Chatting with people on the sidewalk from your porch is okay.)

In no way was that wedding "socially distanced". 🙄

When I walk through my neighborhood, I make sure I stay far away from everyone. When I turn a corner, I look to see if there are kids playing in the front yard, if so, I cross to the other side or walk in the street. The only people I am closer than 6 feet to are my husband, my son and on the rare occasion I have to go to the store, the person at the store.  My cousin stayed away from her son for his birthday a few days ago! He has his own place. And she isn't the only one I know doing this.  These people are not going to flatten the curve if they're off at weddings etc, having a grand old time.

• Love 22
17 hours ago, Zella said:

This is very interesting--thank you!

I must confess, though, the idea of a crazy Amish Friday night made me think of Weird Al. 🤣

download.jpg.0110b6516070dfb03ea09a1643988a7e.jpg

Only if I finish my chores and you finish thine, though. 

The best part was the girls would come in carrying a bag of Yankee clothes, high tail it back to the restroom, change out of their Amish dresses, leave the bag in the vestibule of the store, go live it up for a few hours, then come back to change back into Amish wear before they either hopped into the buggy or walked home. When I first started working there I thought someone had forgotten their bag. Nope, just left it there for safekeeping. My favorite part was on Fridays the adults would do their shopping early, usually would be done before 5 or 6 at the latest so that the unmarrieds could live it up without being seen. That gave the "kids" a good 3 or 4 hours to have some fun. 

It was also not uncommon to see grocery bags in our vestibule or our bags in the front of the grocery store just sitting there while groups were shopping and they didn't want to carry all the bags around or have them in the cart. No one ever touched them and when they were done shopping, they would carry them all home. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
46 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

The best part was the girls would come in carrying a bag of Yankee clothes, high tail it back to the restroom, change out of their Amish dresses, leave the bag in the vestibule of the store, go live it up for a few hours, then come back to change back into Amish wear before they either hopped into the buggy or walked home. When I first started working there I thought someone had forgotten their bag. Nope, just left it there for safekeeping. My favorite part was on Fridays the adults would do their shopping early, usually would be done before 5 or 6 at the latest so that the unmarrieds could live it up without being seen. That gave the "kids" a good 3 or 4 hours to have some fun. 

It was also not uncommon to see grocery bags in our vestibule or our bags in the front of the grocery store just sitting there while groups were shopping and they didn't want to carry all the bags around or have them in the cart. No one ever touched them and when they were done shopping, they would carry them all home. 

Darn it, I never got to see the Amish youth of Middlefield living it up on a Friday night.   My mom sold Tupperware when we lived in Lake County,  and some of her biggest customers were the Amish.   I remember going with her to do a party or just deliver their orders.  I've been in a few Amish homes and a school.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Gee Jill, it’s nice that Janessa is like “any other two year old her age”. God forbid that she’d be like a three year old not her age. 🙄

I noticed that, too. Redundant much? She trips over herself trying to sound intelligent.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

"[Janessa] eats up a storm and still loves to nurse 2 to 3 times a day."

Get the calories while you can, Jan. Hold onto the baby fat as long as possible.  Kid food is rationed in your house, and your siblings look straight out of a Dickens' novel biblical famine. 

Mama's gotta shop for home and garden decor. Daddy's gotta stuff his face with cookies all evening. Kids gotta fast for Jesus. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

Gee Jill, it’s nice that Janessa is like “any other two year old her age”. God forbid that she’d be like a three year old not her age. 🙄

Weren’t they expecting her to have severe disabilities? 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

That was the claim. Of course, God miraculously healed her. 

Of course, that makes a better narrative for Jillybean's grift.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

Yes she had a stroke in utero and as SewSumi notes Janessa has been miraculously healed by God. Also the doctors were wrong and they don't know anything in Jill's opinion.  Jill seems too defensive imo. She wants to believe that there are no long terms effects. I hope for Janessa's sake, Janessa is okay. 

• Love 7

I have a hard time believing anything JillR says. Maybe Janessa had an in utero stroke or maybe she didn't. I'm leaning more toward something suspicious was seen during an ultrasound that in the end turned out to be nothing. But JillR left that detail out. In the meantime she was able to garner sympathy and accuse the medical community of pushing terminations.

• Love 23
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I have a hard time believing anything JillR says. Maybe Janessa had an in utero stroke or maybe she didn't. I'm leaning more toward something suspicious was seen during an ultrasound that in the end turned out to be nothing. But JillR left that detail out. In the meantime she was able to garner sympathy and accuse the medical community of pushing terminations.

She also was supposedly born without a corpus callosum which can cause severe problems in some and others can have mild symptoms from what I understand. She appears to have good basic functioning at this point. It may appear more obvious as she gets into higher functioning. Of course Jill used safe Plexus throughout the pregnancy. Coincidence? I'm not convinced.

• Love 15

Mediccorps has a video from last night on their instagram with Nathan Bates saying they are sending a team to do search and rescue in the southeast. i don't think he sites a specific area they are headed to.

• Useful 1

New blog post on Anna Marie:

Anna Marie Headed to Washington

We want to share an update on Anna Marie’s journey. Plans have fallen into place very quickly, and Anna Marie will write at some point. This morning, she and baby Simon Peter will fly to Seattle. She’ll get her first dose of chemo yet this week and undergo weekly chemo treatments for about 12 weeks.

Please pray for the entire family and please also lift up her health and protection with the pandemic going on.

Back on the home front, Mom, Anna, and Mary will help Christopher with the other kiddos.

Love,
Sarah

And this from Teri in the comments:

Anna Marie is flying home with her sister who has been here for several weeks. It is a huge blessing that Anna Marie’s family only lives 45 minutes or so from where she will receive her treatment so she will stay with them. That means lots of great help with the baby from Anna Marie’s parents and sister and care for Anna Marie, if she isn’t feeling well after the chemo.

I'm sure if this was normal, legitimate chemo she would be treated in-state (Kansas). Or she would be going to some place with a well-established reputation like Cancer Treatment Centers of America.

Meanwhile, Teri and her daughters Anna and Mary are breaking social distancing to help with the family. It would be better if either Anna or Mary or both moved in (for the time being) and social distanced from Steve and Teri.  On the other hand, it sounds like Anna Marie will miss Jesse's wedding, unless she plans to fly back for it!

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Darn it, I never got to see the Amish youth of Middlefield living it up on a Friday night.   My mom sold Tupperware when we lived in Lake County,  and some of her biggest customers were the Amish.   I remember going with her to do a party or just deliver their orders.  I've been in a few Amish homes and a school.  

A friend of mine grew up in Amish country in Holmes County.  He said most of the Amish kids didn't attend high school (they can legally stop at age 14), but some of the boys were allowed to attend.  He said that virtually all of them kept a change of clothes in their lockers at school and would come in the morning and head to the rest room to change into their Yankee duds and then change back into their Amish stuff when it was time to go home.  He also said they seemed to always have access to cars, the teen boys would pool their money and buy a heap and the parents would look the other way.  Of course, most of them didn't have actual drivers' licenses.  They'd go out on the weekends and grab some beer and drive drunkenly all over the countryside.  Those who didn't have cars would use the horse and buggy and the local Amish papers have a weekly list of whose been arrested that almost always has a couple of kids picked up for DUI in buggies.

! I'd have to guess this wedding was in Middlefield, the next Amish community is in Mesopotamia Ohio, but Mespo isn't in Geauga County. 

Sounded like Middlefield to me.  And the best county fair in Ohio is the Great Geauga County Fair!  I think you're right, too, the Amish are fairly law abiding, other than the Rumspringa crowd, and most likely, they thought it was ok to have 30 people there since they were all immediate family.  6 kids is a rather small Amish family.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

to add from my previous post on mediccorps - nathan bates stated the were going for search and rescue.

next video on mediccorps instagram is a bobcat clearing trees. but who the hell is taking a video??

If they are clearing debris good for them. but they are not doing search and rescue

• Love 3
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

A friend of mine grew up in Amish country in Holmes County.  He said most of the Amish kids didn't attend high school (they can legally stop at age 14), but some of the boys were allowed to attend.  He said that virtually all of them kept a change of clothes in their lockers at school and would come in the morning and head to the rest room to change into their Yankee duds and then change back into their Amish stuff when it was time to go home.  He also said they seemed to always have access to cars, the teen boys would pool their money and buy a heap and the parents would look the other way.  Of course, most of them didn't have actual drivers' licenses.  They'd go out on the weekends and grab some beer and drive drunkenly all over the countryside.  Those who didn't have cars would use the horse and buggy and the local Amish papers have a weekly list of whose been arrested that almost always has a couple of kids picked up for DUI in buggies.

Sounded like Middlefield to me.  And the best county fair in Ohio is the Great Geauga County Fair!  I think you're right, too, the Amish are fairly law abiding, other than the Rumspringa crowd, and most likely, they thought it was ok to have 30 people there since they were all immediate family.  6 kids is a rather small Amish family.

It's been 20 years since I worked in Middlefield, well before smart phones, but my favorite was when the Amish guys would buy a couple of these giant batteries, I have NO idea what size they were, but they were always at the bottom of the battery display. They were the size of a small brick, but weren't car battery size. I just tried to find them on a couple of websites and they don't seem to exist anymore, but anyway, the guys would get a car stereo, some batteries, and hook the stuff up in the back of the buggy. Fun! I'd love to be working out there now with smart phones, I bet there's a LOT of hidden phones going on out there. 

6 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Mediccorps has a video from last night on their instagram with Nathan Bates saying they are sending a team to do search and rescue in the southeast. i don't think he sites a specific area they are headed to.

I'm sure they will be so super helpful getting underfoot of the real rescue workers and those there for more than famewhoring. Oh, and seeing as we've seen their utter lack of social distancing, I'm sure they will be spreading Corona around while they are there too. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

From my experience, search & rescue happens almost within minutes after the storm and it's not done by private citizens nor mom & pop contractors. 

The only thing the Bates boys are searching for is undue recognition. 

right??

that seems the entire point of Mediccorps - see us, see how great we are??? #donate

watch for pics of Laura and Jana doing faux heavy lifting in skirts any day now.

JED! 2020 will have a pic if he goes

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

That's called storm clean-up. When it happened in my community everyone pitched in. They just aren't as special as they think they are.

yes clean-up. but nathan bates video on both the medicorps insta and fb claims the will be doing search and rescue

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

yes clean-up. but nathan bates video on both the medicorps insta and fb claims the will be doing search and rescue

Yes, I was calling him out. I didn't mean it to sound like I was questioning you.

4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes, I was calling him out. I didn't mean it to sound like I was questioning you.

no worries there - i did not think you were.

just stating what nathan bates said for those who had not seen the video

I keep calling them out on their BS

• Love 8
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

They are searching and rescuing debris.

• LOL 13
26 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Here's Janessa's birthday cake. How much did the kids get? 😢

So many things...

In the 2nd pic, could they have put her any further to the right of the picture?  Heaven forbid they move the small table with the Bible for a brief moment and actually get her in the picture.  In the 7th (and other) pic(s), I see David has a tract in his pocket.  Proof of his job? janessa is holding onto that cake like it will disappear if she lets go.  Also, that high chair is nasty.

Edited by cdp73
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, cdp73 said:

So many things...

In the 2nd pic, could they have put her any further to the right of the picture?  Heaven forbid they move the small table with the Bible for a brief moment and actually get her in the picture.  In the 7th (and other) pic(s), I see David has a tract in his pocket.  Proof of his job? janessa is holding onto that cake like it will disappear if she lets go.  Also, that high chair is nasty.

a plastic wrapped chair with two plants and a bible front and center so the 2 yr old in a highchair can be next to an unprotected outlet at the height of a light switch...

• Love 5