Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 hours ago, questionfear said:

Also, there are situations where it is downright unsafe for everyone to go around godbothering, like the missionary who was killed trying to contact the isolated island near India (where it's illegal because the indigenous people really don't like outsiders, and because they aren't exposed to much of the modern world they're at huge risk of illness from exposure) https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/03/john-chau-christian-missionary-death-sentinelese

The fool John Chau got what he deserved. Leave people alone. Seriously stupid decision to try to convert anyone.

Came back to add. The natives let him go twice. Third time they killed him. 

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 16
6 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

The fool John Chau got what he deserved. Leave people alone. Seriously stupid decision to try to convert anyone.

Killed by his own hubris. Thought he could pull off the impossible and these natives would be won for his ego christ.

• Love 19
(edited)
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Honestly I don't think Jeremy believes most of the crap he spouts. He's just parroting whatever he thinks will advance his career. If the Pope offered him a job at the Vatican, he'd be on a plane to Italy tomorrow. 

I hear this a lot about Jeremy, but that's actually something about Jeremy that (if true) I think is even worse than some of the others. I don't know if he believes what he says, but I take what he says at face value because he is on record saying these things and signing that hideous petition and he has never publicly disavowed any of it. If he doesn't actually think that way and parrots those things just to kiss ass, that makes him even worse (in my mind) than someone who genuinely holds the same hateful beliefs. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 20

Oh this just occurred to me about RPP. Not only has Jeremy not disavowed the hateful things he has said about Catholics (as well as that petition he signed), but he has maintained silence over it, despite he and Jinger losing repeated influencer deals over these beliefs. If he didn't really think it, why doesn't he speak up and say he no longer has these beliefs? The fact he has remained silent about it, despite repeated public humiliations and lost revenue, makes me think he doesn't try to defend himself because he does think it but doesn't want to own it. I think at heart Jeremy is a coward. 

• Love 22
2 hours ago, Tasya said:

Tiny, tiny voice here, but McArthur isn't the only religious person that preaches against Catholicism. I grew up in the black Baptist church and our pastor definitely called them idolaters. In fact when I went to a youth convention and we had a class on cults, Catholicism was included. The thought is that reverence of the pope, confessing to priests rather than just to God, statues and reverence of Mary...the list goes on. I'm not agreeing with it, but rather just pointing out that it's not only a small weird fundie thing for Catholics to be considered "other" in the terms of Christianity. 

And granted, the Catholic church has always considered itself the one "true religion". Though in 8 years of Catholic school, I never recall calling any other denomination "demonic". Maybe my church/school was different?

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Oh this just occurred to me about RPP. Not only has Jeremy not disavowed the hateful things he has said about Catholics (as well as that petition he signed), but he has maintained silence over it, despite he and Jinger losing repeated influencer deals over these beliefs. If he didn't really think it, why doesn't he speak up and say he no longer has these beliefs? The fact he has remained silent about it, despite repeated public humiliations and lost revenue, makes me think he doesn't try to defend himself because he does think it but doesn't want to own it. I think at heart Jeremy is a coward. 

There really are only two alternatives for what goes on in his head about this, I'm pretty sure.

One is the one you mention here -- "does think it but is too much of a coward to own it." 

And of course the other is the interpretation that was just mentioned upthread -- "doesn't think it but is willing to let people believe he does because pretending he embraces these ideas brings him money and favors." 

So it's either bigoted and social-justice despising coward or greedy jerk who lends support to harmful and hateful ideas he doesn't even believe for personal gain. 

Tossup which of those personas is the crappier one, I'd say. Strength and integrity aren't features of either. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

The Maxwells have a new blog post about the importance of doing dishes before going to bed. It's easily one of the top ten worst blog posts on their blog. It also may be a coping mechanism while dealing Anna Marie's cancer. I cut them slack since they're going through something hard, but I also cut anyone of you slack who didn't do the dishes last night. (It counts if someone else in your household did.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

And granted, the Catholic church has always considered itself the one "true religion". Though in 8 years of Catholic school, I never recall calling any other denomination "demonic". Maybe my church/school was different?

I went to Catholic school for both elementary and high school from the mid 60's to the mid 70's in Quebec, where Catholic schools were also public schools, and we never were told that other denominations were demonic. We even had a field trip to a synagogue one year.

I think the "one true church" thing stems from the fact that it was the original Christian Church, but, at least in my experience, I never heard any criticism of other religions.  Of course, this was not always the case, (Spanish Inquisition, Crusades), but at least in modern times they seem to have abandoned that particular nonsense.

• Love 7

I don't know anything about the Maxwells, but read the blog post just now.  At first I was very irritated because it's all about the mothers teaching the daughters about doing the dishes.

But then the accompanying pictures included men doing the dishes, so now I'm confused.  Which am I to believe?  That the kitchen chores are shared by all?  Or that the pics of the menfolk doing the work was meant to be cutesy?

For the record, I read the post because I don't have many routines re:  cleaning, and I'm always looking for tips.  When I was a kid, my mother and older siblings (primarily my sisters) did the housework.  I never had to do anything.  I never cleaned a bathroom until I moved into my first apartment, after undergrad!  Yes, I was pretty spoiled.  Any-hoo, I digress.

• Love 5
(edited)
19 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I went to Catholic school for both elementary and high school from the mid 60's to the mid 70's in Quebec, where Catholic schools were also public schools, and we never were told that other denominations were demonic. We even had a field trip to a synagogue one year.

I think the "one true church" thing stems from the fact that it was the original Christian Church, but, at least in my experience, I never heard any criticism of other religions.  Of course, this was not always the case, (Spanish Inquisition, Crusades), but at least in modern times they seem to have abandoned that particular nonsense.

I remember going to the Bahá'í  Temple when I went to Catholic School. We also celebrated Passover every year. 

Yes, our history wasn't always the best, but in today's day and age, we seem to be more accepting of other religions. 

My best friend's husband is an anti-Catholic evangelical. Well, imagine his discomfort at my mom's memorial as the Deacon read Catholic prayers and mentioned the Virgin Mary??!! I had to smile. Now the woman my mom used to nanny for is Jewish. She took a prayer card that had the Holy Family on it! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 11

I'm a little late about the Rod's new bathroom, but I got a chuckle out of the sign posted above the mirrors.  "Never give up" is an interesting motto for the bathroom especially above the mirrors her daughters would use to get ready every morning.  Does she want her daughters to persevere in applying their eyebrows every morning?  Curling their hair?  Spackling makeup to their faces?  Using hairspray?  Does she want them to stand in front of the mirror all day perfecting their god-given beauty instead of fawning over her?  

Also, anyone want to tell Jill that "never give up" is most associated with uber Catholic Jim Valvano.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, toodles said:

Oh brother.  Like Walmart isn't bad enough.  Now I need to be on the lookout for God botherers.

Just stop by the garden department first and pick a hefty fly swatter. If you encounter a God botherer, swat away. Then leave it before you check out. Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. 

• LOL 23
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm a little late about the Rod's new bathroom, but I got a chuckle out of the sign posted above the mirrors.  "Never give up" is an interesting motto for the bathroom especially above the mirrors her daughters would use to get ready every morning.  Does she want her daughters to persevere in applying their eyebrows every morning?  Curling their hair?  Spackling makeup to their faces?  Using hairspray?  Does she want them to stand in front of the mirror all day perfecting their god-given beauty instead of fawning over her?  

Also, anyone want to tell Jill that "never give up" is most associated with uber Catholic Jim Valvano.

Never give up grifting and looking for a husband.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I was also raised Catholic and not once do I recall any other religion being denigrated. 

• Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Never heard of Jim Valvano.  I can't blame Jill for not knowing who is Jim Valvano. 

19 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I was also raised Catholic and not once do I recall any other religion being denigrated. 

Vatican II allegedly ended the Church putting down other religions. I have seen Catholics who want to bring back putting other denominations, etc.  An older Catholic once told me that she was told to pray for a relative who was Protestant, because that relative wouldn't go to heaven.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She's a beautiful girl, but she needs to take those eyebrows down a notch.

All I see when I look at her is a Trekkie emulating the eyebrow look of Mr. Spock. 

Being a Trekkie myself, I can get behind that. But I doubt it's what she has in mind. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 16
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Never heard of Jim Valvano.  I can't blame Jill for not knowing who is Jim Valvano. 

Vatican II allegedly ended the Church putting down other religions. I have seen Catholics who want to bring back putting other denominations, etc.  An older Catholic once told me that she was told to pray for a relative who was Protestant, because that relative wouldn't go to heaven.

If you ever need a good cry, Google Jim Valvano ESPY speech.  He was the head coach for NC State basketball in the 80s where they has the perfect Cinderella season in 1983 before dying of cancer a decade later.   He gave the speech less than 2 months before succumbing to cancer.

I live in the land of college basketball so I am very familiar with him.

• Love 1
(edited)

Derelict might know of Valvano. ESPN has Jimmy V week every year (basketball), which raises money through the V Foundation for cancer research. He might have been involved in some Jimmy V games during his stint as Pistol Pete. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Yeah, I've had a few rather militant Catholic relatives tell all the rest of us we were going to hell for not being Catholic.  🙄 They are definitely opposed to Vatican II and want a return to "the good old days."

I know lots of other perfectly lovely people who are Catholic and never been anything but welcoming and tolerant, so I know this isn't mainstream Catholic thought, but it is lurking in certain circles in the same way not all Protestants think Catholics are going to hell but there are some radical assholes who are really offensive and intolerant. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Since Bringing Up Bates starts the new season soon, people on another snark sites thought there might be some sort of announcement from the Bates family. We'll see. 

With the exception of Alyssa and Michaela, it can't be a pregnancy announcement. There have been pictures of the daughter next in line to Josie, cozying up to a guy. Maybe a new courtship or engagement?

13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

With the exception of Alyssa and Michaela, it can't be a pregnancy announcement. There have been pictures of the daughter next in line to Josie, cozying up to a guy. Maybe a new courtship or engagement?

Josie could be pregnant again as well. Willow is only 8 months, but Josie wouldn’t be the first Bates to have a second baby less than 2 years after the first one.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Back to the Seewalds for a sec. Guinn is still fundie enough to invoke Jesus in her posts. 

It's not "Fundie" to thank the Lord for blessings in your life. The same way it's not ok for the Duggars and adjacent to denigrate others and their lifestyles, it's equally as bad to attack all things involving Christ. 

• Love 15
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Katie has a guy she's been seeing. Some have speculated that it has moved to the courtship stage since there have been photos of her in New York with him, etc. I've assumed they were waiting to announce that (if they have) until the new season. No sense wasting an announcement of a courtship or engagement during a hiatus when the eligible Bates are dwindling and the boys seem to have bad luck making these last. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Tasya said:

It's not "Fundie" to thank the Lord for blessings in your life. The same way it's not ok for the Duggars and adjacent to denigrate others and their lifestyles, it's equally as bad to attack all things involving Christ. 

Definitely, its not just Fundies.  I just side eye and tend to ignore all people who feel the need to constantly mention Jesus/Christ...etc on their social media posts.

I have a Aunt in law that I mainly ignore and sometimes put her on a "time-out" on Facebook because the posts are constant.  I'm glad you are religious and love Jesus but enough is enough.  I guess I just don't understand the point of them.  Does Jesus keep count of the # of times you mention him in social media?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, Tasya said:

How is it “ attacking” to describe something as fundie? And some of us don’t believe in a Christ so that term is meaningless to us. The satanic church means just as little to me, but they have a legitimate following as well. 

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 6

Today is the BuB season premiere, but there have been no announcements. Actually, they've all been quiet on SM today (with the exception of Erin), which is strange. They're usually out there promoting the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Portia said:

I prefer full brows to overly tweezed ones, but wow, Jessica looks harsh. She reminds me of Seinfeld's Uncle Leo and his angry eyebrows.

eyebrows.jpg

that is who she reminded me of! 

• Love 2

Thanks for nothing to all of you!!!  I had never heard of the Bates until I stumbled onto this board because of my emerging Duggar obsession.

I have just set my DVR to record Bringing Up Bates because of the bad influences here!  My tv watching knows no bounds.  😛

• LOL 18
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Today is the BuB season premiere, but there have been no announcements. Actually, they've all been quiet on SM today (with the exception of Erin), which is strange. They're usually out there promoting the show.

I’m a fan of Little House On The Prairie, which I watch on UP.  They’ve been promoting the new season of BUB ad nauseam for several weeks.  Anyone who watches the UP channel has to know that tonight is the night, and thank God it is, because I’m sick of it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The Bontrager has a new blog post on their blog. It's about their singing tour. They have a family singing group run by Marlin and Becky and their unmarried children. They went touring the country and the fundies.  Their first stop was in Arkansas where they hung out with Pastor Caldwell and his family. Kendra's sister Olivia has grown and look healthier. 

The next stop was Tennessee, where Michael Pearl stopped by their concert. He's their friend.

They went to Oklahoma and spent time with the Burnetts. Most of their children are married, but one of their daughters is single and spent time with the Bontragers. (Abbie-Grace Burnett Duggar is one of their daughters.) 

They went to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. 

They also saw their sons' in-laws, the Bowers. 

No mention of the Duggars, Bates, Rodrigueses, or Kellers, but given their travels, it's possible the Bontragers saw many of them. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
On 3/4/2020 at 3:40 PM, DangerousMinds said:

same, and  I am currently a demonic pagan so I have no stake in the matter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

On another thread, we were talking about ALERT. I was just watching a little of the Bates' live feed that they do before episodes. 18 year old Jackson is headed to ALERT next week. 

I bet Justin will be going too. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

On 3/4/2020 at 11:05 AM, BitterApple said:

Honestly I don't think Jeremy believes most of the crap he spouts. He's just parroting whatever he thinks will advance his career. If the Pope offered him a job at the Vatican, he'd be on a plane to Italy tomorrow. 

Oh, I think he does. I know his type. The more obsessed you are with doctrine, and MacArthur Calvinists are very obsessed with it, the more smug you are that you are one of the very few chosen ones with all the right beliefs. He truly does believe Catholics are bound for hell, along with most of the world. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10