Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm thinking the reason grants or loans is not allowed is because it would be blatantly obvious to the government there's a SHIT TON of cash being donated to these families and not being reported to the IRS. I can't believe the family printing press is doing enough business to support a single person, let alone a family of what, 13? 15? How are they affording the house, the vehicles, the bus, the trips, the food they aren't giving to the kids, the 12 tons of makeup, hair, and nails? Matching outfits have to be expensive too. Of course the grifting families don't want to go the financial aid route, they would be exposed. Sure, we all know, but as long as they aren't asking for help, the government is ignoring their scams.

Avoiding any kind of debt is definitely a Gothard/Quiverfull staple. Grifting is apparently far preferable to God. Just ask Jim Bob, who prides himself on having avoided debt while he spent their pre-TV years begging for donations. How exactly do they think the world would work if everyone followed their belief system? Who would be left to do the donating?

• Love 18
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Little bit of potential miscommunication could emerge here that I want to clear up before it does.

i think @Lady Edith (and you, too, @Fostersmom ?)  is noting that the Rods and some of their connections don't like the idea of loans and grants for various cuckoo reasons (preferring plain old grifting from individuals and churches, raising flags with the IRS! and who knows what else?!)......not that Moody Aviation doesn't have or permit loans and grants. 

Just so we all understand what's being said and what the facts are: Moody does use loans and grants... (from their website -- https://www.moody.edu/undergrad/aviation/financial-aid/  ) "Are you worried about paying for college? Moody wants to help you! The cost of your degree from Moody Aviation is offset by scholarships and grants—making it possible for you to graduate with as little debt as possible and pursue aviation or airplane mechanics with experience and knowledge. We’re committed to your success."  

....It's just Jill and her ilk that may avoid them like the plague! 

Like the others have said applying for a state or federal grant is not allowed. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim applied for school based and private scholarships, but they're likely based on merit and with others applying, I'm thinking his chances would be between slim and none. 

JillR probably thought he would get a couple and was insulted to find out her teaching skills did nothing for Tim. I agree with others that JillR was waiting for folks to line up and pay his way. I'm guessing the remaining boys will be steered toward less expensive goals.

Weddings are much easier to do on the cheap than college. JillR's probably happy she has more girls than boys.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 11

I've been out of the loop and was just catching up on the latest Rodrigues news. I had somehow missed the fact that the Nathan who is courting Nurie is Nathan Keller, Anna Duggar's brother. No wonder Jill is so thrilled! Too bad for her, though, that the Kellers don't seem to be wealthy. Still, since Anna is occasionally shown on Counting On, Jill may be dreaming of Nurie worming her way on there somehow, like David and Priscilla were featured a few times.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, becca3891 said:

Avoiding any kind of debt is definitely a Gothard/Quiverfull staple. Grifting is apparently far preferable to God. Just ask Jim Bob, who prides himself on having avoided debt while he spent their pre-TV years begging for donations. How exactly do they think the world would work if everyone followed their belief system? Who would be left to do the donating?

Very good point. Would whiz right over the Duggar heads, though, more than likely. I think your key words are "do they think"? And....we know the answer to that!

Of course, they also don't care, I suppose. Since most of the rest of us don't have the almighty gall to live the way they do. So they know they've got the leeway to get away with it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Yep, she finally found a group who wasn't impressed by their dog and pony show or guilted by her starving children. I'm sure Moody was the exact opposite of enamored by the Rods. Jill's blog posts from the very start had to have caught more than a few frowning second glances from staff and donors. Jill made it clear from the get go she wasn't happy with the school's bible teachings or her precious son attending. 

And, since Jill feels she and David are experts on the TRUE Bible and the REAL Jesus, I am sure she was stunned to hear that some of Tim's teachers didn't agree and had the nerve to have an opinion that contradicted hers.

I, too, think Tim probably didn't fare well academically and withdrew from school at least in part so he wouldn't flunk out or have to repeat classes.  Since his primary educator prior to Moody was Jill; I can see her calling the school and demanding that they change Tim's grades because clearly there had been an error.  And, when someone at the school told Jill that Tim had been poorly educated to that point and simply wasn't prepared for college level work; I can see Jill blowing her top because Momma doesn't take criticism well and everything in the entire world is all about Jill.  I am sure that, from that moment on, Tim was never going back to Moody as we all know Jill would never allow the 'insult' to pass unnoticed.

• Love 20
11 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Does Moody even participate in the federal financial aid program (Pell grants, Stafford  loans, etc).  Those come with a lot of nasty “government oversight”.

Good question! I just checked their website for financial aid. And it mentions federal loan options. It actually seems to provide a pretty comprehensive look at various financial aid options.

https://www.moody.edu/undergrad/aviation/financial-aid/

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Does Moody even participate in the federal financial aid program (Pell grants, Stafford  loans, etc).  Those come with a lot of nasty “government oversight”.

Pretty sure the answer is "yes, because Moody is a real accredited school", no?  I have this vague thought nagging at the back of my mind that if you're going to be affiliated with one of the accreditation bodies, you have to accept the government-connected financial aid program...?  It's Jill and David whom we're pretty sure wouldn't fill out a FAFSA because of the "nasty government oversight"; which leaves me hoping that subsequent siblings who want to attend college have enough knowledge and grit to get themselves emancipated.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

Did ya’ll know Jill’s sister was a quadriplegic?   Cuz she’s only mentioned it a million times 🙄

Hell's bells, that first picture of Jill with that chicken will haunt my nightmares for eternity. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

Err, does Jill put eye shadow UNDER her eyes? Or is she just a zombie?

That is some very bad makeup application and is that worse than usual?

Why does one have chickens in the house? So many questions.

• Love 14
10 hours ago, irisheyes said:

They do participate in federal loans. And they do a lot to educate their prospective students and their families about the different elements of college funding....what you have to pay back and don't, and so on. 

They seem to be a pretty responsible institution when it comes to their actual training, and they have good reason to be. They've been sending bush pilots around the world for a long time, and they need those people to be educated and competent because they do difficult work -- carrying people into and out of all sorts of remote places for reasons that include getting medical care. 

Like a lot of the conservative-Christian institutions these days, there's reportedly been some infighting over just how conservative-Christian they should be......As the population and even some evangelicals get more liberal, some of the older people -- many of them leaders -- have wanted to crack down on what they see as theological laxness. There's been fighting over that at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago (whose online courses Bin was taking....) and at the aviation school as well. We can see that even in that KJV story Jill tells -- obviously some of the staff and students are more open to new ideas and others aren't. 

Seems like the importance to Moody Aviation of their actual training mission has so far kept them from falling completely into the gutter on that score, though. And they've never been ignorant or grifters in the Jill R-like mold. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Did ya’ll know Jill’s sister was a quadriplegic?   Cuz she’s only mentioned it a million times 🙄

Amy should find a label for jill: Amy's Crazy Sister, Amy's Grifter Sister and make sure everyone sees it. 

How much help can it be to be invaded monthly by a Narcissist with Bad Makeup, Lazy Overfed Husband, and Dozen Hungry Kids? I'm sure the rods expect to be housed, fed, and entertained.

Does god do an eye roll every time jill opens her mouth? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Err, does Jill put eye shadow UNDER her eyes? Or is she just a zombie?

That is some very bad makeup application and is that worse than usual?

Why does one have chickens in the house? So many questions.

Jill put hairspray on those chicken heads?  I like the way she says they visit the QUADRIPLEGIC family once a month to "help out".  Jill, wearing her puffy vest and itchy, fancy scarf, isn't helping anyone.  Do we really think she is scrubbing out the bathrooms or cleaning out the refrigerator?  All things QUADRIPLEGIC Amy cannot do. Not to mention the Foster's moved very close to Jill so why only "help out" once a month?

• Love 19
29 minutes ago, louannems said:

Not to mention the Foster's moved very close to Jill so why only "help out" once a month?

I was JUST going to say this very thing. Jill could take the girls over once a week to “fellowship” and help out. It seems like Amy and her headship put their collective feet down and limited visits after what I imagine to be frequent Rod invasions. 

• Love 17

I’m letting my geek show... on the topic of the Spider-Man costume...does Jill even know who the character is?  Since the Rods are so anti-pop culture I figured that they would have no clue. Maybe David does, as he had a life before Jill.  But I would think that as Peter Parker was studying SCIENCE as a student and his transformation was due to SCIENCE and was made super on a genetic level by said science, Spider-Man would be off limits.  That, and every other super hero as they all have powers and are not “of god”.   Think about it...Batman is a wealthy socialite who loves his women.  His money made him who he is. Iron Man as well.  Wonder Woman would be just a flat-out no-go as she was made from clay and brought to life by the gods of Mount Olympus.  And she was raised to be a female warrior in a polytheistic society that has no male headships. And don’t forget Superman, who came from another planet and was able to do all sorts of godlike things due to his parentage. The list goes on and on. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, louannems said:

Jill put hairspray on those chicken heads? 

That's no way to talk about her poor unfortunate children. 

I'm sure her sister dreads the time Jill and her brood invade her house. I mean, I'm sure she loves her sister and her nieces and nephews, but that doesn't mean she loves them all hauling over once a month or enjoys the visit. There's no reason Jill couldn't visit with just a few or even by herself. I'm just envisioning the whole lot showing up first thing in the morning and not leaving till after dinner is served (provided and cooked by sis's family, no doubt). And I don't see any of them actually doing anything to help said sister. We all know Jill loves to bring up her sister when it serves her, but you know what might help? How about you take her 6 kids for a weekend? Treat her and her husband to a date night, (maybe take them instead of your son and daughter! to lower the creepy factor). Hell, even have a couple of pizzas delivered on a random weeknight. Even if sister has already made dinner, in a house with 6 kids and 2 adults, pizza will reheat just fine for dinner or a couple days lunches. 

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

That's no way to talk about her poor unfortunate children. 

I'm sure her sister dreads the time Jill and her brood invade her house. I mean, I'm sure she loves her sister and her nieces and nephews, but that doesn't mean she loves them all hauling over once a month or enjoys the visit. There's no reason Jill couldn't visit with just a few or even by herself. I'm just envisioning the whole lot showing up first thing in the morning and not leaving till after dinner is served (provided and cooked by sis's family, no doubt). And I don't see any of them actually doing anything to help said sister. We all know Jill loves to bring up her sister when it serves her, but you know what might help? How about you take her 6 kids for a weekend? Treat her and her husband to a date night, (maybe take them instead of your son and daughter! to lower the creepy factor). Hell, even have a couple of pizzas delivered on a random weeknight. Even if sister has already made dinner, in a house with 6 kids and 2 adults, pizza will reheat just fine for dinner or a couple days lunches. 

Sister is a quadriplegic. It's the husband (hahahahahaha) or the daughters or a Good Samaritan doing the cooking. Either way, Jilly R wouldn't think to help someone out. She's too busy attention-whoring. 

That stuff under her eyes is probably smeared eyeliner. She's a poster child for how NOT to tastefully apply makeup. 

• Love 7

Jill going to her sister's house once a month shows Jill's true colors. Jill has half a dozen kids that could rotate going to Amy's house and help out weekly. Jill could also make it a point to hang with her sister one on one. But I think Jill is too selfish to think of others before her. And I think she has always been a little jealous of Amy and her twin.

• Love 18

If Jill didn't haul the whole group over to Amy's house, how would she get them a free meal? I'm sure if Jill brought over groceries to feed both families and cooked the meal, we'd hear about it. Sometimes it's as much about what braggart Jill doesn't say as what she does. 

• Love 14

Jill seems to really enjoy having a quadriplegic sister. Bet it wouldn’t be so great if she were the one who had been in the accident.

In those pictures Jill looks ready for Halloween - that makeup looks frightening!!! (And it’s her “everyday” look! ) 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I bet $5 she wasn’t allowed to drink it. Jill drank it instead. Why does Jill make her girls so ugly with the makeup? Without makeup they are cute.

Oh, you’re exactly right.  Nurie didn’t drink it.  In a different IG pic she looks like she’s skin and bones, skinnier than I’ve ever seen her look.  You can see in her face how terribly thin she is.  Her hair looks dead, because she’s malnourished, and she looks like she’s 45-50 years old.  It’s sad and pathetic.  

• Love 1

By Jill's Christian standards,wouldn't David be considered a glutton? I've never really understood that in a religious context anyway.It's not like Jesus told people to count calories.

I wonder how Jill would feel if someone called him that.

If birth control is considered one step way from abortion,then all that makeup should be considered one step away from being sluttish.Just sayin

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 20
On 10/27/2019 at 7:40 AM, Churchhoney said:

[Moody Aviation does] participate in federal loans. And they do a lot to educate their prospective students and their families about the different elements of college funding....what you have to pay back and don't, and so on. 

They seem to be a pretty responsible institution when it comes to their actual training, and they have good reason to be. They've been sending bush pilots around the world for a long time, and they need those people to be educated and competent because they do difficult work -- carrying people into and out of all sorts of remote places for reasons that include getting medical care. 

Like a lot of the conservative-Christian institutions these days, there's reportedly been some infighting over just how conservative-Christian they should be...... . . .

Seems like the importance to Moody Aviation of their actual training mission has so far kept them from falling completely into the gutter on that score, though. And they've never been ignorant or grifters in the Jill R-like mold. 

Thanks for clarifying those points, @Churchhoney. They were in my mind when I was posting about Jill's antics that didn't budge Moody into giving Timothy a pass on either the academics or the fees and tuition.

At the end of the day, pilots have to pass exams and get (and remain) certified, plus they must be competent at piloting especially in those bush pilot situations. Likewise, aviation mechanics can praise Jesus all they want - but they also have to understand the equipment they work on and know how to do the work.

Aircraft either operate correctly - or they don't. Pilots either know how to take off and land - or they don't. The stakes are high for that stuff. Let's hope Moody Aviation ain't playing when it comes to educating and training their students as pilots and mechanics. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Look at her hands! Soft and suple. I guarantee you she does almost no housework. 

Of course she doesn't do any housework!  Jill has posted a long, detailed list of the chores her many kids must do daily. No scrub woman hands for Jill.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Oh, you’re exactly right.  Nurie didn’t drink it.  In a different IG pic she looks like she’s skin and bones, skinnier than I’ve ever seen her look.  You can see in her face how terribly thin she is.  Her hair looks dead, because she’s malnourished, and she looks like she’s 45-50 years old.  It’s sad and pathetic.  

I’m surprised they have hair. I hear hair falls out due to malnutrition. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I bet $5 she wasn’t allowed to drink it. Jill drank it instead. Why does Jill make her girls so ugly with the makeup? Without makeup they are cute.

Nurie is probably grateful that she didn't have to drink that slop.  It looks revolting!!

• Love 6

This is John Shrader's newest poem. He also has a new video on youtube. (Look for John Shrader on youtube. He's a missionary to Zambia.) He's married to the oldest Keller sibling Esther and they have 11 children with #12 on the way. (The other Keller siblings include Priscilla Waller, Anna Duggar, and Nurie's beau Nathan Keller plus Esther and four more). 

A Tribute To My Parents Being Real

I'd like to share a tribute,
And tell you a great truth
About the two that raised me,
Brought me up from my youth

My parents are not perfect,
Such never will be found
But I'd like to tell you something,
A truth about them to resound

My whole life I have noticed,
That many in ministry
Are one way when in front,
But outside something else you'll see

And Jesus pointedly warned us,
Of the "leaven of the Pharisees"
And He gave the explanation,
That "leaven" is hypocrisy

I've seen it in the pulpits,
On mission fields I've found
I have seen it in lives of deacons,
Others "leaders" who with praises were crowned

One thing about my parents,
That today I tell to you
They never claimed perfection,
But they were honest through and through

They did not act pretentious,
To be something they are not
Why those in leadership that do this,
On God's ministry are a blot

It turns the hearts of people,
To view hypocrisy
One acts one way in private,
But different when others can see

But a person who's consistent,
Who truly shows God's Heart
Well that is called veracity,
It made me want to take their part

I boldly stand and testify,
From my heart with godly zeal
One of the greatest gifts my parents gave me,
Was that before me they were real

They truly had compassion,
For the people in the flock
And even when some left or slandered them,
Their love for them never stopped

I've watched my father keep loving,
Even those who cursed his name
He even kept loving the ones,
Who stood publicly to cause him shame

Now that's the heart of a shepherd,
Who truly loves the sheep
And my mother never stopped praying,
Even for ones who cost her sleep

I could tell you so many stories,
How their love never ran out
They truly loved the unlovely,
I saw Jesus in them without doubt

They didn't just care for the helpful,
They didn't just love the good
They even loved those who split the church
Just as Jesus taught we should

My parents are just simple people,
Not flashy or very well known
They have never sought reputation,
As through the decades the Seed of Life sown

But for this I deeply thank them,
And from my lips its truth now peal
That whether strengths or even their foibles
My parents have always been real.

Bro. John Shrader
Zambia

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That is one tooth-grindingly awful poem. Those kinds of attempts at halfhearted meter always make me stabby!

When I sat and read John Shrader's little poem, 

All I could think was "the lights are on and nobody's home!"

(Yes I know poem and home don't technically rhyme, but I was inspired by Shrader.

• LOL 12
11 hours ago, Temperance said:

This is John Shrader's newest poem. He also has a new video on youtube. (Look for John Shrader on youtube. He's a missionary to Zambia.) He's married to the oldest Keller sibling Esther and they have 11 children with #12 on the way. (The other Keller siblings include Priscilla Waller, Anna Duggar, and Nurie's beau Nathan Keller plus Esther and four more). 

A Tribute To My Parents Being Real

I'd like to share a tribute,
And tell you a great truth
About the two that raised me,
Brought me up from my youth

My parents are not perfect,
Such never will be found
But I'd like to tell you something,
A truth about them to resound

My whole life I have noticed,
That many in ministry
Are one way when in front,
But outside something else you'll see

And Jesus pointedly warned us,
Of the "leaven of the Pharisees"
And He gave the explanation,
That "leaven" is hypocrisy

I've seen it in the pulpits,
On mission fields I've found
I have seen it in lives of deacons,
Others "leaders" who with praises were crowned

One thing about my parents,
That today I tell to you
They never claimed perfection,
But they were honest through and through

They did not act pretentious,
To be something they are not
Why those in leadership that do this,
On God's ministry are a blot

It turns the hearts of people,
To view hypocrisy
One acts one way in private,
But different when others can see

But a person who's consistent,
Who truly shows God's Heart
Well that is called veracity,
It made me want to take their part

I boldly stand and testify,
From my heart with godly zeal
One of the greatest gifts my parents gave me,
Was that before me they were real

They truly had compassion,
For the people in the flock
And even when some left or slandered them,
Their love for them never stopped

I've watched my father keep loving,
Even those who cursed his name
He even kept loving the ones,
Who stood publicly to cause him shame

Now that's the heart of a shepherd,
Who truly loves the sheep
And my mother never stopped praying,
Even for ones who cost her sleep

I could tell you so many stories,
How their love never ran out
They truly loved the unlovely,
I saw Jesus in them without doubt

They didn't just care for the helpful,
They didn't just love the good
They even loved those who split the church
Just as Jesus taught we should

My parents are just simple people,
Not flashy or very well known
They have never sought reputation,
As through the decades the Seed of Life sown

But for this I deeply thank them,
And from my lips its truth now peal
That whether strengths or even their foibles
My parents have always been real.

Bro. John Shrader
Zambia

Well, I know he has screws loose and probably hasn't given one thought to what he's putting his own wife and children through by his shenanigans. And is thus a jerk and/or a loony is some quite significant ways.

But if he truly feels this way about his parents -- and if they actually are sort of the way he describes them here....then I think that, all things considered, this is a pretty good tribute to people who must have some significant good qualities (whatever else may be true of him)

I can't get on him for writing poetry-that's-low-quality. Most of us write pretty low-quality poetry, if we have the nerve to try writing poetry at all.....

I'd actually much rather see somebody -- anybody -- write childlike low-quality poetry than preserve their egos by never trying to write poetry because they fear they'll fail, actually. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

But if he truly feels this way about his parents -- and if they actually are sort of the way he describes them here....then I think that, all things considered, this is a pretty good tribute to people who must have some significant good qualities (whatever else may be true of him)

I just think it's his way of kissing up to Daddy to keep the dollars from his church rolling in, but I'm skeptical like that.  

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Normades said:

I just think it's his way of kissing up to Daddy to keep the dollars from his church rolling in, but I'm skeptical like that.  

I expect you're absolutely right......I have the same suspicion! ........I still like to hope for the best of people where I can, though. I mean, maybe he actually means it about his mom, for example! 😄

• Love 3
On 10/28/2019 at 1:10 AM, farmgal4 said:

In a different IG pic she looks like she’s skin and bones, skinnier than I’ve ever seen her look.  You can see in her face how terribly thin she is.  Her hair looks dead, because she’s malnourished, and she looks like she’s 45-50 years old.  It’s sad and pathetic.  

If she suffers from chronic malnutrition, wouldn't that impact her ability to conceive/carry/deliver all the babies she'll be expected to produce? Even if she starts to eat regularly and put on weight after she's married, the damage her body has suffered may be permanent.

• Love 9