Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Well the stated reason was so Dan and Cathy could see wedding attendee Izzy while he was in the country. They may not even have attended the wedding itself, but the history of these Fundy weddings suggests practically anyone who shows up can attend. If permission was sought from the Bateses, I think they'd say it's not a problem. I don't have the highest expectations of Duggars and Bates, but I don't think they're prone to bridezilla "super sweet 16" type behavior.

You didn't disagree with anything I said. You just used different words. Although I will disagree on this point: I doubt the Dillards pressed Jill to ask the Bateses on their behalf. She's a busy missionary in a foreign country, y'all! I seriously doubt any of the Bateses even noticed they were there. I think fundie weddings would be super easy to crash. That's my username title on FJ, so I'm sticking to this theory. :D

• Love 2

What a sad little cake. And the brown doesn't look like branches. It's just...sad.

I think they were planning on the usual fundie approach of serving most of the guests from sheet cakes.  Not that I'm admiring any of their cakes or decoration though.

• Love 1

They sat at the table with Kelly's sister and talked about what the main cake would look like. It was more involved than doing a brown stripe on the layers. Brandon even made drawings of his vision, with the brown representing branches. This cake doesn't seem to match what they discussed that day; I hope Michael got her strawberry filling! However, she did get the small cake that she wanted. They discussed that and feeding  guests from sheet cakes, so the size is not surprising to me. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

They sat at the table with Kelly's sister and talked about what the main cake would look like. It was more involved than doing a brown stripe on the layers. Brandon even made drawings of his vision, with the brown representing branches. This cake doesn't seem to match what they discussed that day;

I saw that epi too, and I agree it's absolutely nothing like the design they talked about. I get that they didn't want to do some ten tier monstrosity but the end result was really cheap and flimsy looking. I thought Kelly's sister was supposed to be some expert baker. This cake is maybe one step up from a Sierra disaster.

• Love 2

Maybe Mama Kathy (Cathy?) didn't attend the wedding at all.  Maybe she just wanted to see Iz and flew in just for that - in fact, maybe she got to babysit him DURING the wedding.  Do we know for sure she was there (at the wedding?)   Also:  maybe when Derick gets done screwing around with his face he'll look full faced and healthy like his brother.  I can't get used to the new Derick.

• Love 2

I give up.  I have to get to the doc for an eye exam and glasses.  I don't see shit on most of these pictures.  They look like they are taken from across the street in bad light.  The altar pix and cake pix may as well not be there for me.  Same with the pin interest table.  Bunch of junk on a table, paper clips, what the F..?   Really too bad whoever takes the altar pics is in the church across the street.  Brown branches on the cake?  Sorry, I don't see it, and barely discern the cake.  Dang, I wonder how much specs cost these days.

• Love 13

Does it seem improbable to anyone else that she just happened to bump into someone she managed to identify as a trans woman - whose scary, scary presence the local business owner and the cops refused to protect her from - in the bathroom of IHOP? And that it by some astonishing coincidence happened right at about the time that the Duggars were bleating about the godless liberals threatening their show because Michelle tried to warn america about the dire threat of women not being protected from trans women in public rest rooms?

VERY improbable. It just so happens to be a hot topic among fundies -- don't forget Mechelle's robocall regarding that exact subject, transgendered people in public restrooms -- and she stumbles across one? I found her reaction odd and gross. She admitted to leaving the bathroom without washing her hands because she was so terrified. Terrified, of what? This person was peacefully looking in the mirror applying makeup. She was being a drama queen and stirring up nonexistent trouble. And her husband, who thoroughly creeps me out, was only too glad to add to the nonsense. 

• Love 7

Does it seem improbable to anyone else that she just happened to bump into someone she managed to identify as a trans woman - whose scary, scary presence the local business owner and the cops refused to protect her from - in the bathroom of IHOP? And that it by some astonishing coincidence happened right at about the time that the Duggars were bleating about the godless liberals threatening their show because Michelle tried to warn america about the dire threat of women not being protected from trans women in public rest rooms?

She carries a Y chromosome detector in her purse. Because you can never be too careful...

• Love 8

She admitted to leaving the bathroom without washing her hands because she was so terrified. Terrified, of what? This person was peacefully looking in the mirror applying makeup. She was being a drama queen and stirring up nonexistent trouble. And her husband, who thoroughly creeps me out, was only too glad to add to the nonsense.

And that's if that person actually existed, or was really a trans woman if she did exist and not just, as Bella says, a mother of six with broad shoulders who had no idea why the woman in the clown makeup was screaming.

She carries a Y chromosome detector in her purse. Because you can never be too careful...

And certainly I can understand that most of the scariest people in her world probably have Y chromosomes, but I'd say the strong odds are that bathroom person, if they existed and really were a trans woman, has no particular interest in trapping her in a doublewide with a few dozen kids.

• Love 11

The pink simple BM dresses arent awful- I think they suit a country rustic modest theme but they dont seem to coordinate with Micheals dress at all?? Like hers is satiny with beading....how does that work with lace? I think Alyssa and Jana looked nice even if they did look like prairie girls

I feel awful for Erin and Kelly...those brown dresses...hideous.

• Love 3

When I was looking at pictures of Whitney and that gorgeous baby Bradley I couldn't help but think that Zach dodged a major bullet by not marrying that Reith girl. I wonder how many Fundie kids marry people they know are wrong for them due to fear of disappointing their parents or the fear of being labeled damaged goods if a courtship doesn't work out.

It seems like the Bateses have loosened up their courtship rules a lot and their kids have surely benefitted, although I'm not crazy about Brandon. I wonder what the Duggar kids prospects will be post-scandal.

• Love 4

When I was looking at pictures of Whitney and that gorgeous baby Bradley I couldn't help but think that Zach dodged a major bullet by not marrying that Reith girl. I wonder how many Fundie kids marry people they know are wrong for them due to fear of disappointing their parents or the fear of being labeled damaged goods if a courtship doesn't work out.

It seems like the Bateses have loosened up their courtship rules a lot and their kids have surely benefitted, although I'm not crazy about Brandon. I wonder what the Duggar kids prospects will be post-scandal.

Your so right. Zach got to finally date like normal people and Whitney is lovely. Their baby is sooooo happy all the time they did something right, they picked each other vs. having an arranged marriage.

• Love 4

I don't know which is worse--if she lied about this or not. Either way, that's hella Christlike behavior. Remember how Christ always started crying and running to the cops every time he saw someone society deemed as dangerous and immoral?

Edited by Aja
  • Love 9

Questions I have lots of questions!

1. Are Brandon and Michael going on a honeymoon?

2. Was Bill Gothard there since Brandon works for him?

3. Why didn't TFDW take more pictures to share?

• Love 2

I don't know; Jim Bob had better put out the "all points bulletin" and soon to find really good husbands for Jana AND Jinger...The Bates family now have FOUR of their children married AND a TV show to boot...JB better do some fancy dancing to "one up Gil Bates."

• Love 7

I don't know; Jim Bob had better put out the "all points bulletin" and soon to find really good husbands for Jana AND Jinger...The Bates family now have FOUR of their children married AND a TV show to boot...JB better do some fancy dancing to "one up Gil Bates."

The Bateses are running circles around the Duggars. Better looking, more personable kids, girls who pull off modest while looking cute and stylish, kids in college (ok, Clown College, but it's better than nothing), a married daughter with a baby who's continuing to pursue her passion (Erin), parents who actually seem to enjoy their children; it goes on and on.

• Love 9

I have a question too.

Do you need a special Fundie password to gain entry into the wedding?

thats a valid question, Cherrio. Typically, in the south (away from big cities, anyway) weddings are kind of loosie goosie - I've never once brought an invitation with me to gain entrance to a wedding. BUT...given the recent unfortunate publicity...

I'm going with no, probably not for a Bates. But if Josiah had crossed the finish line any time soon, I'm guessing there might have been some sort of security.

Also, I wonder why all the fundies who drink from the same fountain of living water don't plan ahead and get married in one gigantic ceremony at that conference they all attend. (What's that thing? Rolling Rock, Big Shanty or something). What a money saver!!! Erin could play for the whole thing, Jana could be THE maid of honor. Jill R could provide a lovely solo. I mean, they're all there anyway -'just do a once a year ceremony and mop up. Makes sense to ME!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 6

Most of the Bateses and Keilens are in this pic. Two things:

1. The flower girl dresses were every bit as bad as I knew they'd be from the little preview we got on the show. 

2. Mrs. Keilen is blocked in the back row. I want to see her hair! If anyone could out-do the awfulness that are the tiered dresses, her hair could do it! 

https://instagram.com/p/6eb3GMGvU1/

• Love 1

thats a valid question, Cherrio. Typically, in the south (away from big cities, anyway) weddings are kind of loosie goosie - I've never once brought an invitation with me to gain entrance to a wedding. BUT...given the recent unfortunate publicity...

I'm going with no, probably not for a Bates. But if Josiah had crossed the finish line any time soon, I'm guessing there might have been some sort of security.

Also, I wonder why all the fundies who drink from the same fountain of living water don't plan ahead and get married in one gigantic ceremony at that conference they all attend. (What's that thing? Rolling Rock, Big Shanty or something). What a money saver!!! Erin could play for the whole thing, Jana could be THE maid of honor. Jill R could provide a lovely solo. I mean, they're all there anyway -'just do a once a year ceremony and mop up. Makes sense to ME!

Would you like to join my wedding planning businees? Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

I give up.  I have to get to the doc for an eye exam and glasses.  I don't see shit on most of these pictures.  They look like they are taken from across the street in bad light.  The altar pix and cake pix may as well not be there for me.  Same with the pin interest table.  Bunch of junk on a table, paper clips, what the F..?   Really too bad whoever takes the altar pics is in the church across the street.  Brown branches on the cake?  Sorry, I don't see it, and barely discern the cake.  Dang, I wonder how much specs cost these days.

Same here!  Crazy bad pictures. 

I have a question too.

Do you need a special Fundie password to gain entry into the wedding?

Yes.  Gothard rules. 

Not about the wedding, but that JR woman is an insane lunatic.  I read the bathroom blog and wish I could forget how ignorant one woman and man can be.  I think my worst nightmare would be to be banished to a town that this couple lives in.  Actually, on second thought- if I did ever come in contact with them, I would purpose to be their next blog topic.  

• Love 3

That Jeb sure loves his daddy! Even on the show he always wants to be held by Gil.

I agree the flower girl dresses are heinous. They look like ruffled potato sacks. Carlin looks stunning, I love that navy color with her brunette hair. The bridesmaids, IMO, look totally washed out. Fair skin + pale gowns + harsh fluorescent lighting is a photography disaster.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Most of the Bateses and Keilens are in this pic. Two things:

1. The flower girl dresses were every bit as bad as I knew they'd be from the little preview we got on the show. 

2. Mrs. Keilen is blocked in the back row. I want to see her hair! If anyone could out-do the awfulness that are the tiered dresses, her hair could do it! 

https://instagram.com/p/6eb3GMGvU1/

Thanks Sew! The woman in the front next to Alyssa - her dress with a brown or tan top instead of black, would have made very nice bride's maid dresses, IMHO.

• Love 3

Same here!  Crazy bad pictures. 

Yes.  Gothard rules. 

Not about the wedding, but that JR woman is an insane lunatic.  I read the bathroom blog and wish I could forget how ignorant one woman and man can be.  I think my worst nightmare would be to be banished to a town that this couple lives in.  Actually, on second thought- if I did ever come in contact with them, I would purpose to be their next blog topic.  

Before the RV escapade, they lived in Looneytown, WV. You can't make this ish up! I wouldn't wish this on any of the good people here! 

• Love 4

Thanks Sew! The woman in the front next to Alyssa - her dress with a brown or tan top instead of black, would have made very nice bride's maid dresses, IMHO.

That's one of Brandon's sisters and yes, that would have made a cute bridesmaids dress.

• Love 1

Sew Sumi, I had to look it up and yes, there is a looneyville.  I think I read they have a house now to move into in Newtown.  But Looneyville is just too much.  I am familiar with the Gauley area that showed up on the map, and it is 60 or so miles away.  Beautiful, as I recall.  Heck I would have gone to Looneyville just to take a picture of the town sign.  Yep, my kind of thing.  But I'll probably never get back there again.  Darn, opportunity missed.  I'd freak out seeing Jill R and her family.  I mean it.  She freaks me out like the person in the IHOP bathroom freaked her out.

• Love 2

Sew Sumi, I had to look it up and yes, there is a looneyville.  I think I read they have a house now to move into in Newtown.  But Looneyville is just too much.  I am familiar with the Gauley area that showed up on the map, and it is 60 or so miles away.  Beautiful, as I recall.  Heck I would have gone to Looneyville just to take a picture of the town sign.  Yep, my kind of thing.  But I'll probably never get back there again.  Darn, opportunity missed.  I'd freak out seeing Jill R and her family.  I mean it.  She freaks me out like the person in the IHOP bathroom freaked her out.

Well you have the option of running and finding the police. You could tell them that the 80s are over and you feel emotionally assaulted by having to share a restroom with her.

• Love 4

I ventured over to FJ which I normally never do only to find threads and threads of our beloved Jill R. life being analyed to dealth. I loved it. One can never have too much of her. One poster had the mom from Kid Farm as their icon picture and when you think about it Jill R. is the mom from kid farm. lol These krazy fundie families sure are a snarker's gift aren't they?

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 6

It sucks that he either doesn't have adequate insurance (Scamaritan anyone?) or none at all, forcing him to pass the hat as it were. Even more creepy are the teenage girls responding on Josh's IG saying that maybe their parents could help, but THEY could pray. What parents are allowing their daughters to communicate with a known child molester? 

At any rate, maybe this will be a lesson to the Duggars and their friends that the ACA may not be so bad after all. 

• Love 2

Poor man.  The donate button is probably for food for his family.  I don't know the size of his family or ages of his kids, but I doubt he has a lot put away, and of course the women don't work so have to get food and utilities somehow.  Notice I said the women don't work, not that they couldn't work.  There is a flaw is the Gothard scheme unless they all pitch in or have a "Fundy Fund Me".

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 2

Does anybody know anything about Joseph Duggar and the Bates wedding?  Like was he there?  He's a pal of one or more or the Bates boys and one or more girls, and a college co'ed with them.   There was the rumored attraction to one of the girls.  Perfect opportunity for a get together.  But maybe too many people to take any notice of one another.  Then again, there are always too many people.  Also if you give out invitations would you ever, as a fundy put a + one on your invites?  Or a Mr and Mrs Smith and their daughters Candy and Sugar (thereby eliminating all the other sweet things they've produced, cutting down on enormous receptions for 300 kids)

• Love 1

I haven't seen may pictures from Michael's wedding that we haven't seen before. I'd like to see more like everyone else. I wonder about Joe too. Is he living in Jill's house housesitting? I can't imagine Boob letting it be empty while it's fully filled with  expensive wedding gifts.

• Love 1

So did Michael officially change her name to Michaella? I know there was some talk on the Bates Family Blog that she would because it could be changed when she changed her last name.  They are always back and forth about whether she likes Michael or Michaella...

Unpopular opinion: those dresses are really not THAT bad. I mean there have been some really really terrible bridesmaids dresses through history.  I think I actually like the khaki one better than the pink...

• Love 5

Unpopular opinion: those dresses are really not THAT bad. I mean there have been some really really terrible bridesmaids dresses through history. I think I actually like the khaki one better than the pink...

When you see the whole bridal party together and the girls have their bouquets, I agree, it's not that bad. Definitely not a look I would have gone with, but I've seen worse. Kelly's sister did a great job with the flowers.

• Love 7

So did Michael officially change her name to Michaella? I know there was some talk on the Bates Family Blog that she would because it could be changed when she changed her last name.  They are always back and forth about whether she likes Michael or Michaella...

Please remind me again why her name keeps changing...wasn't she originally Michaela? IIRC (and I'm not sure anymore), Kelly later researched the name and they didn't like it's origin/meaning, but they were okay with Michael. How would you pronounce Michaella...Michael-lah? Mickel-lah?

• Love 2

What's the Bates show like compared to the Duggars old show?

In my opinion it's lots better.  Though they do not hide their religious beliefs, there is much less preaching than on 19 K&C.  The individuals themselves seem more "normal" whatever that means.  The siblings tease each other, laugh at each other, and just enjoy each other.  You do not see them (yet) taking expensive trips.  They visit relatives or relatives visit them.  They gave Gil a huge 50th birthday surprise party.  A lot of time has been dedicated to Erin and Chad's difficulty in bringing a pregnancy to a healthy conclusion.  You frequently see Kelly toting around one of her grandchildren and seeming to be  overjoyed about it.  Gil is often seen picking up and tossing around one of his own little guys (who are very funny in the TH).  Even my husband enjoys watching them.  They just seem so natural.  And Gil and Kelly have stated more than once that they raise their kids and then they are free to pursue their lives the way they want.  Doubt that Erin (or any of the rest of them) will be having such huge families.  They seem free to be themselves.  Just my opinion.

• Love 4