Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Kimmy Goes Outside

Such great commentary on the news with Matt Lauer marveling how the one woman didn't learn English after 15 years and she retorted (in Spanish) that the bitches didn't learn Spanish! I love that! 

• Love 19

I really enjoyed the first episode. I wasn't sure about Ellie and I get nervous about Tina Fey. She's done too many romantic comedies for my taste. However, I belly laughed after the horse call back later in the show and I'm in for the remaining episodes.

"I'm going home, gonna get my braces off."

• Love 2

Just watched the pilot. VERY funny. My big concern so far is that it'll get too New York-masturbatory like a lot of shows do, but I was able to get past that in 30 Rock, so it very well could be worth it.

If anything, it's very cynical about how New York actually is.  Parts of it seem like a parody of Sex and the City.

• Love 3

I fell in love with this show the moment they used one of the Babysitters Club Mystery books as a plot point, which is one of those relics from my childhood that people don't believe actually existed. That's such a weird, deep cut sort of reference that made me realize we were in good hands.

• Love 15
(edited)

"WHITE WOMEN FOUND Hispanic woman also found."  The whole news part with the remix.  You got me show!  I'll watch you.

Ha!  I somehow totally missed that. I was watching early this morning when I woke up so maybe I was still sleepy. 

I thought the ep would be a little funnier but I still really enjoyed it and I knew I'd be in all the way ever since I saw the trailer a while ago.

Glad her roomie(who's awesome) gave her rent money back, but I hate that she lost all her money in her backpack though, but you knew that was coming the minute she put it on the FLOOR!

I actually thought we see just a little more stuff dealing with them in the bunker. That could have been fun seeing even just 30 seconds of some other things they do to occupy their time.  But I think they will be showing some more bunker stuff by what I saw in the trailer.

I think I laughed the most at the third face Kimmy made after she pulled back the folding door. I didn't expect that one!

Going to take my time with these eps since they're less than a half hour each.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

I was never a 30 Rock fan, and could only stick with the Office for about 4 seasons before I bailed, but I LOVE this show. I want to mainline it!

I agree completely that it is more sweet (but not stickly) than 30 Rock or Community or any number of other similar single cam shows, and I confess I like just a bit of that in my comedies (cf. my love for The Middle). But even the sweetness doesn't completely hide the sadness just beneath the surface.

And kudos to Fey et al who are not brushing under the rug the consequences that a woman in her situation would face. I mean, they're picking and choosing carefully, obviously. There are certainly things that are not completely realistic about her integration back into society. But the things they do highlight I think they do marvelously, managing to make them funny, but not a parody.

I really don't watch any comedies regularly other than The Middle, because I have a very specific taste in them, but this one fits right into that alley.

• Love 2

I was never a 30 Rock fan, and could only stick with the Office for about 4 seasons before I bailed, but I LOVE this show. I want to mainline it!

I agree completely that it is more sweet (but not stickly) than 30 Rock or Community or any number of other similar single cam shows, and I confess I like just a bit of that in my comedies (cf. my love for The Middle). But even the sweetness doesn't completely hide the sadness just beneath the surface.

And kudos to Fey et al who are not brushing under the rug the consequences that a woman in her situation would face. I mean, they're picking and choosing carefully, obviously. There are certainly things that are not completely realistic about her integration back into society. But the things they do highlight I think they do marvelously, managing to make them funny, but not a parody.

I really don't watch any comedies regularly other than The Middle, because I have a very specific taste in them, but this one fits right into that alley.

I'm only up to episode 8 so far, but I agree that it's sweet but not too sweet. I was a bit worried when I read a few reviews about how much of a Pollyanna, Kimmy was, and I thought it might be annoying after awhile. I love what the show is doing so far with Kimmy's character though.

I just wanted to reply though because you brought up The Middle, and Kimmy reminds me a lot of Sue Sue Heck, one of my favorite tv characters of all time. I think that so far the writers of UKS are able to walk a better balance of making Kimmy optimistic and naive, but not too much so that it becomes totally unrealistic like Sue can be at times. Of course, the writers for The Middle have had to write a ton more episodes, so it's probably unfair to compare them too much at this stage. 

• Love 4

Kimmy could easily have been reduced to a blathering idiot (not unlike s female version of Kenneth the NBC page) but the writing very successfully circumvented that. Good for them.

• Love 1

Kimmy could easily have been reduced to a blathering idiot (not unlike s female version of Kenneth the NBC page) but the writing very successfully circumvented that. Good for them.

Totally agree.

Changing the subject, much love for the theme song. Wouldn't have expected "They alive, dammit!" to be as catchy as it is.

• Love 7
(edited)

I think binging - I watched five epis last night - will not work with this one. Kimmy's hyper energy can be a bit tiring when it's viewed non-stop.

But I love the writing. Love the opening theme song. Love seeing Carol Kane again. And I like the roommate. My only complaint is the frantic pace causes me to miss some of the great bits.

One of the Mole Women reminds me of Michelle Duggar. Wonder if the resemblance is intentional.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5

Is it bad that I love Kimmy's outfits?  In fact, I have some of the same clothes in my closet right now.  I think this show is trying to tell me that I need to start dressing like an adult.

• Love 4

I think binging - I watched five epis last night - will not work with this one. Kimmy's hyper energy can be a bit tiring when it's viewed non-stop.

I do know Tina fey said that the plan to move the show to.Netflix happened as the 13th episode was being filmed. So that's probably why it doesn't seem to fit the.binge model.

I think season 2 will be made to fit the Netflix model of.binge watching.

I am in complete love. I watched the whole season over the weekend and am contemplating a second viewing so I can catch what I missed the first time around. I was a dedicated 30 Rock fan, but I don't see that much in common between the two shows (beyond a certain taste for absurd humor).

I would have thought Kimmy would get very annoying with her super-chirpiness, but I actually find her awesome - she's up-beat, yes, but underneath is a spine of steel and she's not so nice that she's beyond blackmailing (over knowledge gleaned from her one Babysitter's Club book!) and fits of anger. I would actually describe her more as having an extreme determination to effect change than an unrealistically sunny outlook. She sees the dark side of life - as she says (paraphrasing), she's already experienced the worst thing, so what else does she have to fear?

I will say Titus can be a bit of a weak spot at times, but he grew on me over the course of the season. I was also concerned after the pilot that Jane Krakowski was doing a Jenna retread of the insanely self-involved, oblivious, vain absurdity, but her character went to really interesting places. And Carol Kane is an effing national treasure.

And some of the guest players who show up later in the season are truly awesome. Like, the Reverend Gary Wayne Gary...my jaw dropped a little. And he was great.

Changing the subject, much love for the theme song. Wouldn't have expected "They alive, dammit!" to be as catchy as it is.

The theme song has been stuck in my head for 24 hours. And yet I still love it.

• Love 5

I have binged through 3 episodes, and I need to stop before I go through the whole thing. I love it so much so far! Like, I pretty much knew I was going to love it, but I`m kind of surprised at how much I love it. I love that Kimmy has a lot of backbone, and is clearly very intelligent, beyond her naivete and her constant cheerfulness. I want to watch more, but I watch to save some to watch later. The classic Netflix dilemma.

And the theme song is going to be stuck in my head...forever.

• Love 1

Started it yesterday, thinking I needed something upbeat and funny to watch as I battle another bout of kidney stones. I ended up binging the ENTIRE show.

The pilot was good, but not great. The show picked up steam for me a little later on. But I enjoyed all the visual site gags! "Water." "Diet Water." And the "White women found, Hispanic woman found also."

The best part of the pilot was the theme song, for me. It was everything that is wrong with viral news clips and it is EVERYTHING. It's a MIRACLE!

• Love 2
(edited)

This only occurred to me on Episode 7, but where are her parents/family?  Who would even find the Mole Women if it wasn't their family looking for them?  Why did it take so long?  Why wouldn't want Kimmy want to see them first?

Also, Ugh at Jane Krakowski.

Anyways I am really enjoying the show!  Highlights are the writing and Ellie Kemper as mentioned!  This show has been so, so much more fun to binge-watch than House of Cards Season 3, which meh.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
(edited)

Her family shows up later. And then it becomes obvious why Kimmy doesn't want to see them and why the search for these women took so long.

Thanks, Lawgiver, I was wondering what Donna Maria was saying in Spanish when she was being interviewed. Netflix didn't give me subtitles!

"Dressing like an adult" is boring, Mecca. Be yourself! (Confession, I love Kimmy's outfits, too. I love her love of bright colors.)

The premise didn't exactly grab me (quirky girl in New York? Hasn't this been done before?) so I wasn't expecting much. But I'm so glad I gave this a try. Yep, it was the "viral video" that got me, too. I wasn't expecting the news segment to suddenly turned into a really catchy tune. I sure would like to see the neighbor's interview without the autotune, though. To see what he actually said before someone songified the footage.

That said, the viral video reminded me a bit of Ugly Betty, but it was done better here.

Speaking of things this remind me of, the absurd rich people reminds me of Arrested Development.

And that bit with the rat sucked me all the rest of the way in. She isn't stupid! And she is fearless. She was kind of annoying for parts of this episode, but in that moment I started to love her.

Other favorite bits:

"White dudes hold the record for creepy crimes"

That face and the gesture the neighbor makes when he says "It's a miracle!"

"I'm always amazed at what women will do because they're afraid of being rude."

Edited by yeswedo
added spoiler tags
  • Love 4

I agree that her relentless good cheer makes this harder to binge watch. Also the theme song has welded itself to my brain cells. I wish Netflix gave us a skip-theme-song option.

"Dressing like an adult" is boring, Mecca. Be yourself! (Confession, I love Kimmy's outfits, too. I love her love of bright colors.)

Truly! How did we ever get hoodwinked into a "dress your age" mentality? "You have now entered the age of sturdy crepe sole shoes. Please discard your light-up Keds." Screw that.

• Love 2

I devoured the whole season over the weekend and I didn't even mean to. I was expecting something totally different. The occasional pitch black humor and genuinely effed up premise made me fall in love.

The characters are likeable - I was so relieved when Titus returned the money that he won me over for the duration of the season with that one kind act. I even like Jacqueline. Kimmy is a basket case and needs therapy but I love her too. The bleakness of bunkerlife gives her this dark edge that I'm genuinely fascinated by. She's not another "Manic Pixie Dream Girl."

That theme song is super catchy. I'm almost bummed this show wasn't on a broadcast network because everyone would be talking about how it's an earworm. But then a network doesn't deserve this show anyway. They'd just cancel it.

• Love 3

Truly! How did we ever get hoodwinked into a "dress your age" mentality? "You have now entered the age of sturdy crepe sole shoes. Please discard your light-up Keds." Screw that.

I don't know, I think I have to endorse the dress your age rule of thumb.  There's a woman at work who I've always said dresses like a 2-year old who's been allowed to dress herself for the first time.  I'm just waiting for her to show up in a tutu.

• Love 3

I fell in love with this show the moment they used one of the Babysitters Club Mystery books as a plot point, which is one of those relics from my childhood that people don't believe actually existed. That's such a weird, deep cut sort of reference that made me realize we were in good hands.

I loved that Kimmy had a Babysitters Club book. She seems like the kind of 13 year old who tried to rope her friends into having a Babysitters Club too and then they sat around but no one needed a babysitter. Coincidentally, I just looked up Sweet Valley High on wikipedia the other night and was shocked to learn that in the later books, Jessica and Todd have an affair. What the what?

I don't know, I think I have to endorse the dress your age rule of thumb.  There's a woman at work who I've always said dresses like a 2-year old who's been allowed to dress herself for the first time.  I'm just waiting for her to show up in a tutu.

So she dresses like Aria on Pretty Little Liars? I'm still reeling from the pink cat jacket.

It's weird and funny and succeeds almost completely on the back of Ellie Kemper's aggressively cheerful performance.  I like it.

I agree. Part of me feels sad for her being typecast in this wide-eyed gee shucks permanently optimistic role which is similar to Erin on The Office, but I like that Kimmy is different enough that I don't feel like I'm watching Erin.

I loved that Kimmy had a Babysitters Club book. She seems like the kind of 13 year old who tried to rope her friends into having a Babysitters Club too and then they sat around but no one needed a babysitter. Coincidentally, I just looked up Sweet Valley High on wikipedia the other night and was shocked to learn that in the later books, Jessica and Todd have an affair. What the what?

Jessica and Todd not only had an affair, they also got married and had a son.  And Steven divorced his wife, came out, and started dating Jessica and Elizabeth's classmate Aaron Dallas.

I've wasted my life.

Edited by starri
  • Love 5

I agree. Part of me feels sad for her being typecast in this wide-eyed gee shucks permanently optimistic role which is similar to Erin on The Office, but I like that Kimmy is different enough that I don't feel like I'm watching Erin.

I think Kimmy has a bit more of an edge to her. She will get angry at things and will tell people what she thinks of them. Erin on the Office was a bit more than a background character and wasn't really that well developed.  The writers and Ellie Kemper really sold me on the "Unbreakable" aspect of her personality.

I am actually really liking Ellie Kemper her, her facial expressions are amazing.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 5

What really sold me me on Kimmy having more of an edge than Erin was when she talked back to the cult leader so vehemently. I thought thank goodness there is one person in this bunker who isn't buying his crap! I also loved when one of the other girls rolled her eyes.

• Love 3

Jessica and Todd not only had an affair, they also got married and had a son.  And Steven divorced his wife, came out, and started dating Jessica and Elizabeth's classmate Aaron Dallas.

I've wasted my life.

WHAT the Ham Sandwich?

I binge watched the entire show last weekend and I'm taking my time with it upon rewatch. I just love Kimmy's enthusiasm.

• Love 2

Such great commentary on the news with Matt Lauer marveling how the one woman didn't learn English after 15 years and she retorted (in Spanish) that the bitches didn't learn Spanish! I love that! 

That WAS hilarious! So glad there is a forum for this show.

• Love 2

Is it bad that I love Kimmy's outfits?  In fact, I have some of the same clothes in my closet right now.  I think this show is trying to tell me that I need to start dressing like an adult.

I'm not totally down with her entire ensemble but (and apologies for referencing a later ep) her pjs in ep 2 are the best and I want them immediately.  People keep talking about an eventual "click-buy" functionality on TV and I usually oppose the concept but... I really want those pjs.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

Well, I watched the whole series over the course of about 36 hours and am in love. I'll buy just about anything that Tina Fey sells, though. This show has all the best things about 30 Rock (especially the relentless, absurd humor) but has so much more of an upbeat, optimistic attitude. That's not a knock against 30 Rock; I appreciated and loved that show for what it was, but it's nice to get a tonal change. It's still trademark Tina without being a retread.

I'm on a rewatch now and trying to go through things more slowly to pick up on all the little stuff.

I liked Ellie Kemper enough on The Office and in Bridesmaids, but she has truly arrived with UKS. She manages to make what could really be an annoying character into someone grounded and rootable without compromising her optimism. Her line "The worst thing that could ever happen to me happened in my own front yard" might be one of my favorite lines on television ever, and totally sums up the character. I too, a 20-year-old college student, kind of covet her wardrobe. At the very least, I want to be her for Halloween...light-up sneakers, purple Jansport backpack and all.

I wasn't totally sold on Titus at first, but he came around with his "escaping is not the same as making it" speech. I agree with everyone who said something to the affect of the show maintaining its absurdity while still including some kind of pathos. Lillian is great too, and while Jacqueline is, when you get down to it, a grown-up Jenna Maroney, Jane Krakowski still rocks it. It's her wheelhouse and she knows what she's doing.

Also, the theme song is catchy as anything. "Cuz feeeemales are strong as hell!"

Moments I loved from this episode: the callback to the horse that Kimmy set free, Jacqueline taking a full bottle of water out of the fridge and then throwing it away when Kimmy said she wasn't thirsty, Kimmy making all that noise trying to open her blinds and Titus's "I was sleeping! Reconsider, girl.", "Four White Women Found (Hispanic woman also found)."

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 2

The premise didn't exactly grab me (quirky girl in New York? Hasn't this been done before?) so I wasn't expecting much. But I'm so glad I gave this a try. Yep, it was the "viral video" that got me, too. I wasn't expecting the news segment to suddenly turned into a really catchy tune. I sure would like to see the neighbor's interview without the autotune, though. To see what he actually said before someone songified the footage.

Bec - you can see the whole un-songified interview here:

And then a full length version of the song here:

• Love 6

Thanks! I was wondering in what context the guy would say "unbreakable!" And of course that was the very last part of the video. Of course. Hee.

Agreed with people saying Kimmy has edge. Sometimes when Kimmy narrows her eyes to make an annoyed/angry face, she reminds me of Emily Thorne from Revenge.

Last night I started my second watch of the season, and this time I really appreciated the sight gag of Gretchen all done up after her Today Show "ambush makeover." Y'all, a couple of years ago a rather plain woman from my church who was vacationing in New York got an on-air Today Show makeover, and I swear to you she looked exactly like that. The shiny dress, the cut 'n' color, the makeup, all of it.

• Love 2

Just gave the pilot a go and I'm already in.  I only know Ellie Kemper from The Office, but I find her so damn charming here, and I already loving and rooting for Kimmy Schmidt. I already can't wait to see what happens to her next and more about that crazy cult she use to be in (I'm mainly unspoiled, but I'm pretty sure I know who is playing the ""Reverend.")

Not as familiar with Titus Burgess, but I enjoy his character as well, and already like how he and Ellie play off one another.  Good to see Jane Krakowski again.  Had no idea Carol Kane was in this, so that was a treat.

Even though this is on Netflix, I'm guessing the bit with Kimmy on the Today Show, means that Tina Fey is still able to use her NBC connections.

Even though this is on Netflix, I'm guessing the bit with Kimmy on the Today Show, means that Tina Fey is still able to use her NBC connections.

This was an NBC show until the network changed their minds partway through filming.

• Love 1