Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Distance

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Alexandria is just outside of the D.C. metro area, about 20 minutes away with no traffic or walkers. They are essentially in Washington D.C. However, D.C. is densely populated. There would be walkers everywhere. I don't see how it would be safe to actually go into the D.C. Besides, if there is anyone left of the government, they would have been evacuated first.

Considering they were coming from Richmond, I'm surprised that Quantico was never in their plans, although 95 would be a zombie playground. DC may be dense but it has nothing on the surrounding suburbs and the beltway population.

Okay for two episodes this has not been addressed. Even if Aaron was following CDB, how did he get in front of them to place the water in the road?

• Love 5

Was Rick planning on feeding Judith partially crushed acorns?

Aaron told Rick that in the community, if Judith cries "no one, nothing can hear it outside the walls", yet the gang heard the children playing.  Sloppy writing?

I don't know what I think of Eric.  He was laying there with a broken ankle, surrounded by strangers, yet he was grinning like a moron.  And how in the world did he manage to get run over by the only car on the road?  And how did the RV group possibly know they ran over a human versus walker or debris?  Wouldn't it have been dangerous to stop and check in the dark?

Assuming they're on the up and up, community building. At some point, survivors are going to have to leave the defensive position - stop just reacting to the world, and actually get proactive. Start trying to rebuild and find a way to make it long term in this world. You need a lot of people to be able to do that. And Rick's group would be good people to have.

I agree.  I would imagine they were being watched to determine things like:  Do the women look like they're treated well, or are they being raped or beaten?  What are they eating or drinking?  What happens when they disagree?  How do they make decisions?

Even then, why the heck would Carl, or whomever, just leave her there to roll off the seat onto the floor.  I know car seats aren't readily available, but didn't the car have seat belts?  Even holding Judith while travelling would be incredibly dangerous.  Slam on the brakes and Judith goes flying.

So we could see the adorable scene of sleepy Judith pushing up and bobbing her sleepy little head.  It was an ahhhh moment.

• Love 9

Am I the only people who couldn't stop groaning when the guy says "it didn't develop right" as to why there were no 'people pics',

Perfectly understandable, if Aaron is an amateur photographer trying to develop old-school film rolls - especially color film, which is a lot less forgiving than B&W.

answers very unsurely and (seemingly) deceitfully "I don't know... alot(?)" to how many walkers he's killed

Again - understandable when you consider Aaron's point of view.  Contextually speaking, the first of the Questions came out of deep roving right field; it bore no relation to any of the preceding conversation, so I think a certain amount of "uhhh, what?" reaction could be considered reasonable.  As to the uncertainty:

• I'd think ANYBODY would came up with a specific number answer off-the-cuff to that question was either bullshitting or underperforming (if their dead walker number was small enough to remember specifically).
  • Aaron has already shown himself to be more than ordinarily adept at appreciating others' points of view ("what does it matter what number I tell you, because you're not going to believe any number I say anyway"); this may be yet another example - i.e., what seems like "a lot" to Aaron might be a slow weekend to CDB.
  • Love 4

I'm on the fence about Rick/Michonne being a couple because writers have a tendency to change characters when they are in a relationship. I mean if Michonne/Rick were a couple, would the type interaction we saw tonight happen? Would Michonne have felt the need to stay loyal to Rick, therefore, keep her mouth shut despite the fact that she disagree with him? Would she have felt free to disagree with him the way she did or would she have feared what it would do their romantic relationship ?.

I 10000% agree with this! I'm so afraid that they're going to want to put Rick and Michonne together and set Daryl up with someone, and they're just going to ruin them all. Romantic love isn't the alpha and omega. I think focusing on the group as a family is so much more powerful and moving than making it a bunch of couples that hang out together.

• Love 9

Considering they were coming from Richmond, I'm surprised that Quantico was never in their plans, although 95 would be a zombie playground. DC may be dense but it has nothing on the surrounding suburbs and the beltway population.

Okay for two episodes this has not been addressed. Even if Aaron was following CDB, how did he get in front of them to place the water in the road?

Assuming because of the cars?

I wonder if the Alexandria folks got stuff from Fort Belvoir just down the road or from the Anacostia joint base across the Eisenhower Bridge? Why would those bases not be secure...but that's a question that this show never really brings up. How would ALL of the military bases go to hell?

• Love 1

When CDB were at the prison, they used to send teams out who brought people back, had the prison survived I have no doubt they would have refined their tactics of bringing in survivors to match the situation so how Aaron and Eric did it made sense to me, Im cautiously optimistic about Alexandria.

• Love 4

How did Aaron and Eric avoid being detected by Darryl?

• Love 6

It really too bad that the writers won't go there with Rick and Michonne. Tonight showed that Rick and Michonne have potential to be a great couple. Carl and Judith would have two badass parents.

The way I see it, Carl and Judith, especially Carl,  already have two badass parents.  I was bothered that Rick and Michonne were both separated from the kids in the different vehicles!

LOVED the reappearance of badass Glenn; very worried about Winnebago fixing positive attitude proactive moral compass Glenn. I was about to throw an axe (I don't own one but I would have manifested it damn it) at the walkers chasing him. If he goes out like Dale....watch out.

Only this stupid, stupid show would make me get teary-eyed over Glenn knowing an RV has a spare battery.  Stupid show.  AND YES, Glenn, shut up with that moral compass stuff.  It never ends well.

Alanna Masterson (Tara) is on Talking Dead next week. Fun facts: her half-brothers were on Malcolm in the Middle and That 70s Show, and she's a Scientologist who reportedly dated Tom Cruise's son Conner.

Can we all just agree right here and now that when the ZA arrives, we use the Scientologists as bait?  Please?

Aaron and Eric were very cute together.

And I found that disconcerting as hell.  They were cute-coupley the way they would have been pre-ZA, they sounded so normal and as if when Eric's ankle heals they'll celebrate with frozen yogurt.  This just isn't the way people relate to each other anymore.  How are they so relatively unscathed?

And I agree... that whole "no people in the pics" seemed fishy fishy fishy.  

Hope the applesauce was okay, because that was probably the best thing Judith has eaten... um, ever.  

• Love 16

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are in a subdivision on the outer edge of Alexandria, but I cannot imagine that they are even close to safe there given the density in of the population around them. However, if things work out in Alexandria, they would have time to go to Quantico and other federal departments/divisions (the Pentagon, NIH, and the Naval Research Laboratory). Although I don't for a second believe that they could get close because of the walkers and I would expect these buildings would be empty and locked down anyway.

Edited by SimoneS

Perfectly understandable, if Aaron is an amateur photographer trying to develop old-school film rolls - especially color film, which is a lot less forgiving than B&W.

Again - understandable when you consider Aaron's point of view.  Contextually speaking, the first of the Questions came out of deep roving right field; it bore no relation to any of the preceding conversation, so I think a certain amount of "uhhh, what?" reaction could be considered reasonable.  As to the uncertainty:

• I'd think ANYBODY would came up with a specific number answer off-the-cuff to that question was either bullshitting or underperforming (if their dead walker number was small enough to remember specifically).
  • Aaron has already shown himself to be more than ordinarily adept at appreciating others' points of view ("what does it matter what number I tell you, because you're not going to believe any number I say anyway"); this may be yet another example - i.e., what seems like "a lot" to Aaron might be a slow weekend to CDB.

He might turn out perfectly good and on the up-&-up, and those answers were explainable, but it has to be suspicious when those answers are all strung together like that.

I wonder if the Alexandria folks got stuff from Fort Belvoir just down the road or from the Anacostia joint base across the Eisenhower Bridge? Why would those bases not be secure...but that's a question that this show never really brings up. How would ALL of the military bases go to hell?

I could easily see the military bases in populated areas being overrun by walkers at the beginning. We saw that the soldiers protecting the CDC were overrun. If any type of military command does still exist, they would evacuate the President, congressional leaders, and and the remaining military to more isolated bases or ships. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I would target smaller, less aggressive groups. That way you can avoid the troublemakers like Rick and Abraham, while still getting people at least as useful as Eugene or FPP or Judith.

I resent Judith being lumped in with FPP and Eugene. ;) If nothing else, I trust her judgment from crying at appropriate times. Plus, she rid us of Lori!

• Love 6

Loved this episode. Maybe I'm easy because except for 2 or 3 episodes that I've considered clunkers, I'm totally loving season 5.

I just hope the action doesn't come to a grinding halt now that they've reached ASZ.

I'm already an Aaron fan. It takes some serious balls to go out in the ZA with one gun in search of survivors. Loved his scene with Eric and I was surprised the show allowed them to kiss. I'm grateful they revealed their relationship right away so they don't have to be coy in future eps about the nature of their relationship. My only gripe with Aaron was his refusal to eat the applesauce. Dude, when a crazy guy is telling you to be the taste tester don't refuse because of some silly childhood memory. Makes you look extra suspicious. He's lucky Rick didn't knock him out again.

I know Rick has trust issue after all the psychos they've encountered but attempting to sneak up on Alexandria in the dead of night along a road that has not been cleared was a stupid plan.

I wonder how he'll adjust in a community where he doesn't get to call the shots? Maybe he'll once again be the sheriff in town; if he's not too far gone.

Michonne was the the star for me tonight. Her patience with Rick, getting him to see that Aaron was trustworthy while still keeping her own guard up, leading him to accept that it's time to get off the road for his children's sake and his own, kicking walker ass in the field. Wonderful actress and great character. These last 2 episodes have definitely made up for the lack of Michonne in the first half of the season. More please. 

And more Glenn, too. After his talk with Rick in Shirewilt, I was worried he's become too cold but tonight the rational kind-hearted Glenn made a comeback. I also loved the silent callback to Dale and everything he taught Glenn about fixing up old RVs. Season 1 seems so long ago.

Abraham and Rosita making up skeeved me out. He looked so much older than her tonight than he has in the past. I don't ever want to see a love scene with them again. 

I yelled at my TV when Carl left Judith in the backseat of the car by herself. If he didn't want to carry her out, fine, but at least sit with her until Rick can get her out. When the camera panned to her all alone I was sure she was going to roll off the seat and onto the floor.

Thank goodness she's off the road because between her crying and lack of sunscreen I was sure that baby wasn't going to last much longer. 

I can't wait to see the living arrangements once everyone gets settled into ASZ. Michonne's hopeful "you have your own house?" made me chuckle because I realize they haven't had any privacy since the prison and they probably want to get away from each other's smelly asses. But I really hope they don't all get their own houses because I'd hate to lose all the character interactions we got in the last 2 episodes. 

Edited: because I realize some of my comments may be spoilerish. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 5

I think it would be accurate to say that until this specific point in time, Rick - and everybody else in CDB in varying degrees - is suffering for an extended-duration bout of TSD (Traumatic Stress Disorder - not PTSD, because there's no "Post" in the ZA).  Fortunately - kinda - our intrepid adventurers live every day in an environment where screaming-high levels of TSD-inspired paranoia are rewarded; it keeps you alive.

Now take that into consideration when looking at Glenn's response to the "they might be people like us" statement: "If they're people like us, we should be scared of them."  I think Glenn's statement reflects a common mindset between him and Rick (and Daryl and Carol too, for that matter).  They know many of the acts they've committed approach/achieve a level of atrocity, though justifiable in the name of the group's survival.  Another group of "like" people might be / would be capable of committing the same acts on CDB, if matters came down to an us-or-them standoff for survival.

All these become factors in the equation Rick's working in his head when considering Aaron and his actions.  Aaron - and Aaron's group by extension - has been

1. Tracking them for weeks.
  2. Listening to their conversations.
  3. Collecting intel - names, strengths, weaknesses, supply levels, etc.

Why does all this upset Rick so?  Because it's exactly what Rick would do to another group - except it's been done to him, and his people.

CDB, meet that group of people "just like you." 

Does this help explain Rick's paranoia somewhat?

• Love 12

Hooray for cool Glenn making a comeback! I hope he keeps it up, and the writers realize that being in a relationship doesn't define your entire existence.

I appreciate Rick's listening theory to see if it was a decent place, but I think after all the shit they've been through they would want to do a little bit more than listen before deciding this was a good idea. It was very interesting to see the turnaround in Michonne recently, and see her become so invested in settling down somewhere. The community thing just seems like such a bad idea though. At this point, we're just looking for things to go wrong because let's face it, if things go well for them, we don't have a show. Just running from/killing walkers isn't enough anymore. They showed in the last episode when they let the walkers follow them that they aren't afraid of walkers nearly as much. It's people that they need to be afraid of. At least this makes more sense than that road trip to DC, which would never have ended well.

I might be in the minority, but I'm looking forward to Noah developing more of a bond with the other members of the group.

Also, the highlight of this episode for me was Rick's temper tantrum about the knock off spaghetti-o's being their spaghetti-o's now, whether they went to Alexandria or not.

Edited by truelovekiss
  • Love 3

I have no idea why the last 2 minutes made me tear up. I think it was Michonne smiling at Rick and asking if he was ready  and then Rick getting Judith out of the back seat and him smiling for a second.  And asking Judith if they should go inside.  That just killed me. Rick just seems so tired and weary and wary. Even now, when it's possible for rest, he can't fathom how that will be possible. ::(.  

My dad and I practically howled, we thought it was so funny. And we loved how no one thought anything of it, while Rick was being so crazy!

I LOVED that moment.  It showed me that Rick is just not fucking around with anything anymore. 

• Love 10

Rick could have tied Aaron up the minute he entered the room. Instead he stood there like an angry confused caveman for a few minutes before suddenly going into "Hulk Smash!" mode, because "Tiny picture make Rick ANGRY!" There's a big difference between being defensive and just flailing around like a batshit silly thug.

How do I know Aaron isn't a supervillain? Because if he was Rick would have shown a hell of a lot more trust.

• Love 10

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, expecting a twist at the last minute to reveal that Aaron was a bad guy after all. When Noah gave him the medicine and walked out, I expected Aaron to give an evil look and smile. 

Edited by Hava
  • Love 1

I love Crazy Rick. He and Michonne are both right. How can they get past what they've been through? (I mean, Bob. Got. Eaten.) But they have to try to live at some point.

I am liking Aaron but that answer about the (lacking) picture of people in Alexandria came across so fishy.

My favorite scene of the last few episodes was the simple, powerful shot of Rick's eyes as he heard the kids. Amazing.

• Love 5

I kinda thought tonight showed they don't communicate without words as well as we thought and that they're in very different, almost incompatible head spaces. The actors have good chemistry, but I think this week is one where the characters seemed somewhat far apart. Yes, he listened to her in the end, but it was also pretty obvious she was speaking for most, if not all, of the others.

For what it's worth, Danai Gurira said on TTD that this issue of settling down has been the first time or the first time in a long time that she and Rick have been out of sync. So it's not that they don't communicate well in words but that this was an issue where they found themselves out of agreement. It will be interesting if this disagreement is a harbinger of more bumps in their partnership.

• Love 3

The look on Rick's face when he realized he was hearing children playing inside the wall made sitting through 15 shades of increasingly unhinged paranoia worth it.

Aaron assured Rick that in his "community" no one would hear Judith's cries outside the gates, but yet Rick and Company could hear children laughing and playing from outside the gates.

• Love 3

Aaron assured Rick that in his "community" no one would hear Judith's cries outside the gates, but yet Rick and Company could hear children laughing and playing from outside the gates.

i think Aaron was just doing a bit of a sales pitch. Rick seemed the opposite of bothered. If it were supposed to be a sticking point, Rick would have thrown Aaron against a wall and put a knife to his throat, "I thought you said no one would be able to hear Judith!!!"
  • Love 3

I thought Aaron said they could make/find a place where no one would hear Judith but I'd have to rewatch to be sure. But keeping quiet by the gates would be the safer way to go.

Also loved Abraham's optimism that they'd make it, followed by the RV dead in the road, ha.

• Love 9

From the "Where the Hell Did That Come From?" case files.... did I miss a scene or implications of Rosita being scared or wary of Abraham after his knocking out Eugene (when he admitted he wasn't a scientist/no cure)?  I know there was the scene at the beginning of the ep. about her unenthusiastically agreeing to go with the 'greeting party' for Aaron's "friend", but the whole little scene between Abe/Rosita on the camper about her maybe being afraid kind of came from out of the blue - for me anyways.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 3

Aaron said there was a place where nobody outside the walls would be able to hear Judith. That place, presumably, is closer to the center of town, as opposed to right next to the wall. They weren't hearing every single person in there. Only those who were very close.

• Love 7

From the "Where the Hell Did That Come From?" case files.... did I miss a scene or implications of Rosita being scared or wary of Abraham after his knocking out Eugene (when he admitted he wasn't a scientist/no cure)? I know there was the scene at the beginning of the ep. about her unenthusiastically agreeing to go with the 'greeting party' for Aaron's "friend", but the whole little scene between Abe/Rosita on the camper about her maybe being afraid kind of came from out of the blue - for me anyways.

that felt true to that scene to me. Abraham was unhinged and seemed menacing when Rosita offered him the water and was telling him he needed to snap out of it.

. The only odd thing about it, I thought, was why that conversation now? Abraham, relaxed by the prospect of some civilization decides suddenly decides to apologize, I guess?

• Love 3

When Aaron showed up in the barn for the first time and Judith randomly started crying, I would have thought it darkly hilarious if Crazy Rick just went full-blown "She's doesn't like you!  Well, then I don't like you either!!", and just shot him right in front of everyone. Rick really seemed unhinged to the point that I could have seen him using that logic.

So far, don't know what to think.  Aaron doesn't seem like, well, an evil guy or anything, but I did think it was odd that the way he reacted to Michonne asking where the people where in all of the pictures.  Maybe he really was telling the truth and is just awkward, but he sounded kind of shady then.  Besides that, the applesauce thing was just silly.  Dude, just suck it up, and eat the damn sauce, so this crazy guy will trust you a little bit more.  It wasn't like you were allergic to it.

Rick and Michonne at odds was interesting, and it really does feel like Michonne has almost become the second in-charge, of the group.  While everyone still seems to treat Rick at the leader, they all seems to respect her as well, and are willing to back her over Rick, when the time calls for it.  I can understand Rick's paranoia, but I did think he took it too far.  And, that night ride idea was just stupid.

Glenn is continuing to show a harden side, with his "Just shoot anyone that approaches us" line.  Seemed to  unnerve Michonne a bit, and I think even Maggie might have wondered what that was all about.  The car battery scene was good though.  Like seeing Resourceful Glenn again.

Not sure what the point of the Abraham/Rosita scenes were. 

I guess we'll wait and see how this new place turns out.  I just hope it isn't the obvious route, and isn't another Terminus or Woodsbury.

• Love 3

At the risk of giving myself away as a photography geek, wouldn't it be a lot easier to find a solar (or dynamo) battery charger and a tablet (doesn't even have to be an ipad) than the assorted supplies needed for film photography (film, photo paper, chemicals - all of which expire over time, plus an enlarger)? All you have to do is loot an electronics store (which is the kind of place most other people would not bother to loot in a zombie apocalypse). If you're someone who routinely travelled to third world countries with an NGO, you might have the dynamo/solar power battery charger already in your camping kit.

I had no idea Alexandria is an actual existing place near Washington. I thought it was just a community named Alexandria because the people there aspire to make it the new cradle of civilization, and that's why they named it after the one in Egypt. That's why I need you guys to tell me these things.

Maybe I've been immersed in the Walking Dead world too long, but my first thought when I heard the screeching wasn't "happy children playing", it was "peeps being eaten alive by zombies". My next thought (when there weren't any ominous "something is wrong" music and it became clear from the characters' faces that we're supposed to take it as a happy sound) was "all that fool screeching is going to attract zombies".

I get that it's a hopeful sign to hear children playing. Symbolically speaking. But it's not like bad people can't be nice to their own children and still screw everyone else over.

Weren't there children in Woodbury? Maybe it's been too long and I'm forgetting stuff, but how was it "quiet" at Woodbury? Wouldn't there have been children playing in Woodbury, too? For all intents and purposes, Woodbury was like a suburban neighborhood. Didn't they have a block party at some point?

Terminus was indeed eerily quiet, but there was no real reason they couldn't have been parents AND cannibals (other than the show didn't want to go there). It's not like eating people make you sterile (too soon to tell whether they would eat their own progeny).

I don't think they would do a Woodbury or Terminus redux though. This has to be something new. I'm hoping it's something good because I need a break from the doom and gloom. Nevermind what the characters need. Hee.

Aaron told Rick that in the community, if Judith cries "no one, nothing can hear it outside the walls", yet the gang heard the children playing.  Sloppy writing?

I know, right? And that line creeped me out like "no one will hear you scream, muahahahaha!"

My one complaint about the show is so few couples and the lack of desperate sex.
They did the whole Rick/Lori/Shane love-triangle drama in the beginning and it sucked. Glenn and Maggie were awesome characters until they became a couple (but they're getting better again now that their plots are not all about their relationship). The less said about Rosita and Mr. Dolphin-Smooth, the better. I like Michonne with Rick, too, but I'm glad the show is not doing anymore couplings, because this is clearly not its strong suit.
Terminus and Woodbury was all about welcoming everyone.  I didn't get the feeling his community welcomes everyone. I think that is why Michonne was willing to trust him.  Aaron was careful

True, taking everyone in was what got Terminus taken by a rapey gang and turned the Termites into "trust no one, us first always" cannibals.
the reasons why a community would welcome more people is quite suspect. Extra people require water, food, clothing, shelter

Maybe they have way more supplies (and renewable ones like fruit trees at that!) than they have people. Being a supply-rich place that's low on people to help guard it can be very dangerous. That's why they need people.
  • Love 2

I think Alexandria is a "good" place.  I think the conflict this time around is that CDB might not be accepted after it's revealed what they've done and what they've been through in the name of survival.  They may not make it through the audition.  What do the Alexandria people do with their rejects?  Something tells me they can't just say, "Don't call us.  We'll call you."

• Love 4

I'm re-watching, and Eric explains how he got injured "I wind up underneath a rust bucket surrounded by roamers who roll a rear passenger tire onto my left ankle". So, it wasn't the RV that ran him over? Was he hiding under a car and walkers somehow pushed it over his ankle and at some point he fired off the flare that alerted the RV gang to his location? If so, dude got really lucky.

And when Aaron said he lost the car with his collection of license plates, I wanted to yell he didn't lose the car, CDB did. Like Hershel said, and the show keeps reminding me, "you people are like the plague". They had the car for 1 freakin' day and it's already inoperative. Aaron may regret having recruited CDB once he sees the death and destruction that follows them.

How exactly did Rick and co. meet up with the rest of the gang? Was that warehouse where they met up a predetermined rendezvous point for Aaron/Eric or was Rick just whistling down every alley near the water tower hoping to hear a responding whistle?

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 4

Michonne was right to put a spike in Rick's initial reaction, that there was NO chance Aaron's community could be good. There's at least a chance Aaron and co. are ok. But after Woodbury and Terminus, I'd expect them to take more precautions, like leave part of the group outside as the rescue party or something.

Plus, last season, wasn't Michonne herself suspicious of Woodbury?  Didn't she smell a rat there?  I mean, she left that blonde woman she'd been traveling with at the time (who was that?) basically because she thought something wasn't right.  You'd think she'd remember that.

I might be in the minority, but I'm looking forward to Noah developing more of a bond with the other members of the group.

I'm in that minority with you.  I like Noah and wanna see him develop.  He caught my interest the moment he was first introduced.

How exactly did Rick and co. meet up with the rest of the gang? Was that warehouse where they met up a predetermined rendezvous point for Aaron/Eric or was Rick just whistling down every alley near the water tower hoping to hear a responding whistle?

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by that scene. Seemed like it was a very awkward jump with a scene missing.

I'm in that minority with you.  I like Noah and wanna see him develop.  He caught my interest the moment he was first introduced.

That's one of the mysteries of new characters to me.  Noah's introduced, and oh, I like Noah.  Abraham & Co are introduced and it's just a big shrug and a hope that they're first in the zombie chow line.  

And speaking of Noah... YOU DON'T HAVE ELECTIVE SURGERY IN THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.  Just don't.  

• Love 6

And when Aaron said he lost the car with his collection of license plates, I wanted to yell he didn't lose the car, CDB did. Like Hershel said, and the show keeps reminding me, "you people are like the plague". They had the car for 1 freakin' day and it's already inoperative. Aaron may regret having recruited CDB once he sees the death and destruction that follows them.

I was thinking that same thing about the car. It wasn't Aaron's fault. I was confused about the warehouse meet-up, too. 

I think Alexandria is a "good" place.  I think the conflict this time around is that CDB might not be accepted after it's revealed what they've done and what they've been through in the name of survival.  They may not make it through the audition.  What do the Alexandria people do with their rejects?  Something tells me they can't just say, "Don't call us.  We'll call you."

I think it is a "good" place, too. From a story telling standpoint, it almost has to be. How many random gangs of psychopaths can they run into? I think that the issue will be whether or not CDB can acclimate themselves to the community. After spending so much time relying on only each other, will they be able to follow someone else's set of rules?

I wondered about the audition, too. I was surprised that no one asked the question, "what is the audition." (Maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering some of the dopey decisions this group has made.) Wouldn't you want to know that before the tryout?

Also, is there a guarantee that the entire group will be accepted into the community? Suppose - for whatever reason - Abraham, Darryl and Tara - don't pass the audition. Are the rest going to face a "do we stay or do we go" decision?

• Love 2

Best episode since back-from-hiatus.

I really like the group's dynamic right now. They're at a point where Rick is the undisputed leader, but everyone has the right to an opinion. No trifle ego problems.

I liked Abraham! Probably because we're both Rick groupies now, LOL. I almost expected him to go "Sir, yes, sir".

Aaron is cute and funny. But he and Eric have Zombie Bait written all over their cute, romantic love for each other. Surprise me, show, keep them alive!

I don't know if it was a montage or not, but Judith getting quiet as soon as she was in her big brother's arms was just adorable.

Lots of Michonne = awesome episode. Lots of Rick and Michonne = even more awesome.  Loved the "so we're clear". I'm fine with their relationship as it is now. While they were on the road, I could absolutely see why there was no romantic development, between psycho-rapists and Termites and no water or food. It wasn't the time or place.

But if the camp is legit and they settle, I'll have to start to suspend disbelief, considering their degree of closeness. Because my feeling on this whole episode was: They're so married already. Aside from the nature of their physical interactions, nothing needs to be changed  -although I agree that many TV writers can't resist to alter a perfectly functional dynamic, so it's a risk. And the focus of the show doesn't need to change either.

After suffering nonsensical, unwatchable Whatever Family Drama on several other shows, I think I deserve Grimes Family non-drama but pure awesomeness on this one; and by this I mean lots of working, fighting Walkers and kicking ass together. Pretty please, with zombie guts on top.

• Love 3
I was thinking that same thing about the car. It wasn't Aaron's fault. I was confused about the warehouse meet-up, too.

The Warehouse meet-up was because of the Flare.  Rick said it came from near the Water Tower when they got to Rt 16, so they went in the direction looking for the RV.  I believe Aaron knew it was Eric that set off the Flare which is why he panicked and tried to get to Eric (running away from the Car).  My guess would be, Eric fired the flare when he got in trouble, Rick and Company thought it was the RV group, while RV group thought it was Rick and Company, so they both converged on Eric's location.

As to how they found each other, they were wondering around and Rick spotted the RV then Rick/Darryl did that bird whistle thing they do to notify each other.

• Love 4

I get that it's a hopeful sign to hear children playing. Symbolically speaking. But it's not like bad people can't be nice to their own children and still screw everyone else over.

Weren't there children in Woodbury? Maybe it's been too long and I'm forgetting stuff, but how was it "quiet" at Woodbury? Wouldn't there have been children playing in Woodbury, too? For all intents and purposes, Woodbury was like a suburban neighborhood. Didn't they have a block party at some point?

Lizzie was a child. The place could be a Village of the Damned for all we know. Still, I hope they have showers.

Plus, last season, wasn't Michonne herself suspicious of Woodbury?  Didn't she smell a rat there?  I mean, she left that blonde woman she'd been traveling with at the time (who was that?) basically because she thought something wasn't right.  You'd think she'd remember that.

Michonne was in a different place psychologically at the time. I think she was then where Rick was tonight, which is part of why they related so well. Plus, Michonne's introduction to Woodbury was through the already-known-to-be-sketchy Merle, and the removal of her weapon, leaving her without defense for probably the first time since she picked it up. Aaron's at least showing up with an invite, and one they could have readily turned down.

• Love 1
And according to this week's TD, the canned sketti was manufactured by the company Tara's dad worked for.

I knew it!

That barn must have really smelled of huge amounts of shit. Considering that it was detectable over the smell of Rick and Daryl.

I thought Daryl was speaking metaphorically about all the horse shit, because he's so, you know, erudite.

If Aaron is the best ambassador the Alexandria community has, they need to rethink how they recruit people.  Between the applesauce and the sketchy explanation of why there were no pics of people how could the Grimes gang not be suspicious?  Plus he still hasn't given a good reason for why they are being courted.  Because they are good people?  That's pretty vague.  I'm thinking they are wanted for their warrior skills, to build an army, but for what purpose?  To go after the dead or to raid other camps?

To many unanswered questions, but one thing is for sure.  It won't end well.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
I am surprised that Darryl didn't feature more prominently in this episode. I sort of see him as Rick's sergeant at arms, however, I did love the interplay between MIchonne and Rick so I ain't mad about that.

I noticed Rick picking Glenn a lot more often for missions....and I like it. Glenn is quite a capable guy. He is quick and clever and good with a gun. I think it makes sense to rotate who you send out. And, frankly, given Daryl's emo status lately, I was glad to get a little break from him. 

• Love 5

This week's episode felt "off" to me, like I was watching Bizzaro Land WD.  I didn't find it, any of it, to be believable. The most glaring thing to me is: when did Rick become somebody they couldn't trust? Because he is rude to strangers?  I'm sorry Rick is a cop traveling with his two minor children - you best believe that he will wear his suspicion like a suit of armor.  I see no reason for him to apologize for that.  I normally ship Richonne, but she got on my nerves this episode.  After Woodbury and Terminus you're ready to go skipping along with anybody offering a warm bed?  Really?  After you faulted Andrea for this very thing and Andrea's choice got her killed.   I kept thinking the reveal is that Michonne is having a nervous breakdown or something.  But then she straight up mutineed Rick.  I was so over her.  He didn't deserve that from her or ANY of them.  It left a bad taste in my mouth and I could see me saying, if I were Rick, something like, "You ALL can go, but Carl and Judith stay here with me.  Also if you aren't back within a day, Aaron's dead."  Honestly I felt like, "F em all, Rick!"  When she reached for his hand, I expected him to pull it away from her.  I would have.

Other weirdness, why can't this group ever see walkers ahead until they plow into them? It's like "Really?  You didn't see the flash mob ahead on a straight empty road with your lights on?"  And why would Glenn, holding the gun with the most bullets, separate from his group and not answer them when they are calling his name?  And I thought Michonne and Carl were BFFs.  They don't speak to each other EVER now.  And why does nobody ever grab for Judith?  That is not realistic because it is a primal nature thing that most adults in a dangerous situation react, without thinking, to protect the baby.

The gay couple bothered me, as well.  Not because they are gay but because the whole scene was about them being gay and in love.  They are two people surrounded by a group of armed strangers and just got back from running for their lives but we get a whole beat of them kissing and showing how special and twu their love is.  "Let's not bother with the suspicious dirty people who don't trust us, let's talk about license plates. I love you!" Also, an organized community is scouting for other surviors and they send two people to spy on and collect a whole group?  Hell Rick sent four of his strongest to check out Aaron's claim.  The whole thing is weird to me.

Alexandria is just outside of the D.C. metro area, about 20 minutes away with no traffic or walkers. They are essentially in Washington D.C. However, D.C. is densely populated. There would be walkers everywhere. I don't see how it would be safe to actually go into the D.C. Besides, if there is anyone left of the government, they would have been evacuated first.

Alexandria IS the DC metro area.  DC is directly across the river from Alexandria (they face each other).  If you are in downtown Alexandria, you are in DC.  It's not a separate trip.  It's 20 minutes on foot - 2 hours by car if you count traffic.  Also, greater Alexandria - indeed all of No. VA and Maryland - is densely populated.  It's not like DC is a big residential city surrounded by country.  DC is a medium city surrounded by lots and lots of suburbs and mini cities.  People work in DC and live in the surrounding areas - which is why the few residents are still fighting for legislative representation.  My guess is that after an apocalypse, the actual city would be sparsely populated.  And as a government employee, it is not true that we would be evacuated first.  Civilians would be allowed to go home, to retrieve children and such, but there are, as of today - bolstered after 9/11, plans for essential personnel to perform in the case of emergency.  DC isn't just a random city in the US, it is the seat of the Government of the United States of America (notice the CAPS) and the surrounding areas support this function.  The Pentagon is in Alexandria.   Thus ends my District of Columbia tourism.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 9

This week's episode felt "off" to me, like I was watching Bizzaro Land WD.  I didn't find it, any of it, to be believable. The most glaring thing to me is: when did Rick become somebody they couldn't trust? Because he is rude to strangers?  I'm sorry Rick is a cop traveling with his two minor children - you best believe that he will wear his suspicion like a suit of armor.  I see no reason for him to apologize for that.  I normally ship Richonne, but she got on my nerves this episode.  After Woodbury and Terminus you're ready to go skipping along with anybody offering a warm bed?  Really?  After you faulted Andrea for this very thing and Andrea's choice got her killed.   I kept thinking the reveal is that Michonne is having a nervous breakdown or something.  But then she straight up mutineed Rick.  I was so over her.  He didn't deserve that from her or ANY of them.  It left a bad taste in my mouth and I could see me saying, if I were Rick, something like, "You ALL can go, but Carl and Judith stay here with me.  Also if you aren't back within a day, Aaron's dead."  Honestly I felt like, "F em all, Rick!"  When she reached for his hand, I expected him to pull it away from her.  I would have.

Other weirdness, why can't this group ever see walkers ahead until they plow into them? It's like "Really?  You didn't see the flash mob ahead on a straight empty road with your lights on?"  And why would Glenn, holding the gun with the most bullets, separate from his group and not answer them when they are calling his name?  And I thought Michonne and Carl were BFFs.  They don't speak to each other EVER now.  And why does nobody ever grab for Judith?  That is not realistic because it is a primal nature thing that most adults in a dangerous situation react, without thinking, to protect the baby.

The gay couple bothered me, as well.  Not because they are gay but because the whole scene was about them being gay and in love.  They are two people surrounded by a group of armed strangers and just got back from running for their lives but we get a whole beat of them kissing and showing how special and twu their love is.  "Let's not bother with the suspicious dirty people who don't trust us, let's talk about license plates. I love you!" Also, an organized community is scouting for other surviors and they send two people to spy on and collect a whole group?  Hell Rick sent four of his strongest to check out Aaron's claim.  The whole ting is weird to me.

As for this:

DC is directly across the river from Alexandria (they face each other).  If you are in downtown Alexandria, you are in DC.  It's not a separate trip.  It's 20 minutes on foot.  Also, greater Alexandria - indeed all of No. VA and Maryland - are densely populated.  It's not like DC is a big residential city surrounded by country.  DC is a medium city surrounded by lots and lots of suburbs and mini cities.  People work in DC and live in the surrounding areas.  My guess is that after an apocalypse, the actual city would be sparsely populated.

You, know, your last point, not that it matters since this is a fictional show, is a good one. 

Most cities probably would be deserted and it'd be the suburbs that would be full of people. I think it's basic psychology. Whenever there's an "event," people have a tendency to hunker down in their homes with their family. I don't know about most people, and please don't tell my boss, but when the end of the world rolls around, I'm not going to get my ass up and go into work. I'm going to stay at home. Which is why I think for survivors, staying downtown in highrises (or a hospital) is the way to go.

(True, Washington, given what it is, might be the exception. We know how those politicians like to get in there and get things accomplished!)

• Love 1