Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Episode Eight

I liked Susan- everyone was complaining that this season was so dull- well, she livened it up a little. I remember her as Cordelia from Brideshead Revisited, many moons ago.

OMG, thank you! I even went to her IMDB page but only looked at the recent stuff so assumed that the only other thing I knew her from was Persuasion. I can't believe that this woman who is playing sour Susan could ever have been sweet Cordelia.

• Love 2

I'm worried about this Prince Kuragin thing - I think he's a gold digger, wooing Violet so that he can get back in the lap of luxury. I don't trust him for a hot minute. Even if they don't get married, being her paramour would give him a big step up from the refugee living in a hovel status he's at now.

You and I think alike. He creeps me out. His wife is of no account - out of sight, out of mind. It seems incredibly forward for him to come and say what he said. Then he's crossing his legs and leaning back at his ease as he informs her that he won't change his mind.

Don't do it, Violet!

It's entirely possible this is meant to come across like a touching romance rekindled. it's not coming across that way for me, at all.

• Love 9
Though to be fair, this is about the weakest murder case in history:  "I saw a short person near Mr. Green! CLEARLY ANNA MURDERED HIM!"  No wonder nobody's that worried, and Mary was so indignant that the person responsible for her hair might have to be gone for a few weeks because of this. I feel for Mary here. I really do.

Fortunately, Mary has a nice new bob that's much easier to take care of, and she's not planning on having unmarried sex any time soon.  So maybe she can do without Anna for a few days.

• Love 3

You and I think alike. He creeps me out. His wife is of no account - out of sight, out of mind. It seems incredibly forward for him to come and say what he said. Then he's crossing his legs and leaning back at his ease as he informs her that he won't change his mind.

Don't do it, Violet!

It's entirely possible this is meant to come across like a touching romance rekindled. it's not coming across that way for me, at all.

Maybe when you're 80, you'll feel differently. Violet might enjoy a little male companionship.

• Love 6
MrsJumbo: I liked Susan- everyone was complaining that this season was so dull- well, she livened it up a little. I remember her as Cordelia from Brideshead Revisited, many moons ago.

Oh my gosh, thank you! All episode I was trying to place her. Cordelia was one of the best characters on Brideshead. As for Susan, I didn't like her, but Phoebe Nicholls is doing a bang-up job with the character IMO. Not a stereotype at all, a realistic portrayal of a bitter and discontented woman that makes you wonder why she is that way. The photo set-up is perhaps a tad OTT, but that's not her fault. Everything else was quite in character.

The dialogue they had Daisy spouting in this episode was just ridiculous, stilted and unreal. The feelings were not. Why can't they do better by this storyline?

ennui: Maybe when you're 80, you'll feel differently. Violet might enjoy a little male companionship.

OK, fair point, but it seemed to me like he was suggesting he move in. Rather bold for 1924, ad after having not seen each other for how many years?

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 3
Maybe when you're 80, you'll feel differently. Violet might enjoy a little male companionship.

Could be.  Some don't like to pay for companionship no matter what their age & some don't care.  I'm not getting a read on Vi.  Was she truly touched by Prince Pauper & is seriously considering moving him into her place?  Or would she blow him off quickly if Izzy tells Dickie to get lost & she's got her gal pal back to keep her company?  Was she just letting him down easy by telling him he's still married, even tho his wife is in parts unknown & he hasn't seen her in decades & seems to care not one bit what she's up to or if she's alive or dead?  

Sure, Vi holds onto her conventional notions quite dearly.  I don't see her moving him into her place unless she could marry him.  And I don't see that happening either.  But thinking & fantasizing about it?  Flirting & having some din-din or lunch with him?  That I could see her doing.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 4

Violet seemed put-off by his statement about how he wouldn't change.  Smart lady, Violet.  Stubborn old men are not really fun to be around, are they?  Especially the ones who are proud of their stubbornness.

Maybe Violet will realize she may have had some fun flirting with him back in the day, but she's not so fond of the person he is.

• Love 7

Violet seemed put-off by his statement about how he wouldn't change.  Smart lady, Violet.  Stubborn old men are not really fun to be around, are they?  Especially the ones who are proud of their stubbornness.

Maybe Violet will realize she may have had some fun flirting with him back in the day, but she's not so fond of the person he is.

I suppose it depends on how long it's been since anyone flirted with her.  She doesn't have to move him into the house; they could just enjoy each other's company at dinner. It might be nice for her to have a companion besides Sprat.

• Love 1

I think Tom will actually go to America.  It seems a better choice to me than marrying one of his late wife's sisters.  A creep factor, like Morman fundamentalist marrying sisters, even twins.   Yuck.

I would like Mrs Patmore to go and live on Mr Merton's farm in retirement.  Some years ago she fell for and was going to marry the village drunk, so Mr  Merton is a much better alternative.  She can't keep up the cooking forever.  And they could live companionably for both their benefits, or it could be romantic.  He is such a nice man.

Please excuse my spelling as I know I must have typos.  Got shots in my eyes and can't see well so can't correct it.  Can barely read it.

Oh BTW who is Susan?  Is she Violet's daughter?  Is Robert an only child?

Is Robert an only child?

Robert has a sister, Rosamund.  I believe there has never been a mention of any other siblings, deceased or otherwise.

I think Tom will actually go to America.

This is not a spoiler, this is truly a guess, but it makes so much sense to me that I can't predict any other outcome.  I think that Tom will go to America, or get pretty darn close, and then Robert will die or become incapacitated and Tom will be force/will be obligated/will be thrilled about coming back to Downton.  I even think that is why Cora and Robert were so lovey-dovey in this episode, it will make the parting just that much more painful.

I suppose it depends on how long it's been since anyone flirted with her.

I don't see him as flirting - if that's his intention he's pretty heavy handed about it.  And blowing off a possibly living spouse with a wave of the hand is hardly an endearing move either. I can't see Violet, who is pretty strong willed herself, just caving to a dude who is making declarations and informing her he's going to have his way no matter what she thinks.

• Love 3

As to the Prince and Violet, he is penniless, isn't he?  And that matters to her, at least it has her whole life.  That is not likely to change at her age.  I think she cares far more about the Princess' whereabouts/existence than he does, he doesn't even make a pretense of caring.  His imperious manner won't work for long with Violet's own personality.  It's a mismatch if ever there was one.

• Love 4

I agree that Matthew's reference to Marigold looking like Gregson was his hint that he knew who the father was, not a diss on Edith or actually remembering what Gregson looked like.

I'm sure you meant Robert and not Matthew but that made my heart hurt when I read it.  I still miss Matthew.

Edited by WatchrTina

The prince isn't particularly attractive.  He is rude, brusque, intransigent, and arrogant.  Even at 80 I am sure I would say, "No thank you" to his very kind offer to ditch his wife and move in with me.  I might leave out the "thank you."

• Love 5

I don't see Mary as mean-spirited. I thought her comment to Edith about lunch, "even you," was snarky with love. If Edith ever asked Mary for help, Mary would be there. But Edith won't ask.

I don't know, the general contempt seems genuine (and gratuitous) to me, though with less unpff this episode than usual and thus a tad softer than her norm. I tend to think of a line from 'The Lion in Winter' where John says to his brothers that they 'wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire'.

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 4

I used to like Mary, but she has gotten worse in her meanspiritedness to Edith.  I'm glad that Tony seemed to blow her off in their final scene.  She wants her cake and wants to eat it too!

I think Violet must have loved the Prince once upon a time, and perhaps still does.  However, I don't see her abandoning her life-long beliefs for him.  

• Love 3
However, I don't see her abandoning her life-long beliefs for him.

And her established routine. Other than maybe Robert Redford wanting to move in with me, I'm too damned old to rearrange my whole life for someone I knew for 15 minutes 50 years ago no matter how many sparks were flying back then. And I can't see Vi being flexible enough for his imperious self coming in to rule her roost.

I think he just wants a fast ticket out of Refugeeville.

• Love 7

Violet has been without a husband for decades, and I have to assume that's by her own choice. If she'd wanted to remarry before now, she certainly could have, but being lonely and wanting to have a friend like Isobel is a far cry from wanting to have an elderly, dictatorial, married semi-hobo in her bed. They may have been in love once, but not enough for her to abandon her children and her principles. Even if she did love him now, he's still married and she feels guilty enough about their long-ago affair to try to find his wife as a way of making it up to her. She has enough regret about their relationship that I don't see her ever wanting to rekindle it.

Oh BTW who is Susan?  Is she Violet's daughter?  Is Robert an only child?

Susan is Violet's niece and Robert's cousin. Robert's sister is Rosamund.

• Love 3

Even if she did love him now, he's still married and she feels guilty enough about their long-ago affair to try to find his wife as a way of making it up to her.

Add in the reality that what other people say does indeed concern Violet. The Prince is married and its somewhat understood that his wife is likely still alive. Violet is not going to have an open affair with a married man for the same reason she didn't back in the days of yore.

• Love 2

I know it's not a popular view, but if Tom had left with Miss Bunting I really wouldn't have missed him. His character just doesn't interest me very much, I guess because they don't give him a whole lot to do.

Plus, he looks a lot like Sean Astin, so looking at and listening to him reminds me of Sean playing Sam in Lord of the Rings.

• Love 1

As to the Prince and Violet, he is penniless, isn't he?  And that matters to her, at least it has her whole life.  That is not likely to change at her age.  I think she cares far more about the Princess' whereabouts/existence than he does, he doesn't even make a pretense of caring.  His imperious manner won't work for long with Violet's own personality.  It's a mismatch if ever there was one.

My interpretation of their earlier relationship was that they were in love and just barely made the "right" choice to stay with their spouses and not cause a scandal. (whether or not something physical happened hasn't been stated) Something about meeting again in later life, when the world is changing in big ways, might make him pretty darned appealing. Not to mention having a man find you attractive when no one has seen you in years as anything other than an old crone. A man who is her match in temperament could be just what the doctor ordered. I don't know if she'll grab the brass ring, but I think she'll definitely consider it. As for his motives, who knows. I'd prefer to think of him as having the same yearning for the one who got away.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

My interpretation of their earlier relationship was that they were in love and just barely made the "right" choice to stay with their spouses and not cause a scandal. (whether or not something physical happened hasn't been stated) Something about meeting again in later life, when the world is changing in big ways, might make him pretty darned appealing. Not to mention having a man find you attractive when no one has seen you in years as anything other than an old crone. A man who is her match in temperament could be just what the doctor ordered. I don't know if she'll grab the brass ring, but I think she'll definitely consider it. As for his motives, who knows. I'd prefer to think of him as having the same yearning for the one who got away.

I don't like him, and think it would be a mistake for Violet to say ys to him, but that remark to Isobel later in the episode does make me a tad uneasy about her intentions. The one where she said she had recently been reminded that when you get a second chance, you don't always get a third. There's a part of me that thinks Julian Fellowes considers this guy romantic, and a catch for Violet. Not to me, but if that's how it is, all bets are off as to how they write Violet's decision.

Edited by peggy06
It seems incredibly forward for Prince [Kuragin] to come and say what he said. Then he's crossing his legs and leaning back at his ease as he informs her that he won't change his mind.

And Mary thought she had a hard time getting rid of Tony Gillingham!

I don't know... I can see both sides. Yes, renewing an old flame after all those years could be lovely. Or it could be a situation where, as Violet examines his character and behavior in the present time, the blinders fall off and she realizes that she made the right choice all those years ago. It might be sad for her to recall her "great love" from the past and then have to let it go, but I think I'd enjoy seeing Maggie Smith handle that.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

Add in the reality that what other people say does indeed concern Violet. The Prince is married and its somewhat understood that his wife is likely still alive. Violet is not going to have an open affair with a married man for the same reason she didn't back in the days of yore.

Ah, but that was before Edith had an affair with a married man and had a child. Times change, and Violet may have mellowed.

I probably sound like an idiot, but it is possible to love someone and not sleep with them. Everyone seems to have the prince moving into her bed. I think it would be nice for Violet to have some companionship, especially if Isobel is getting married. Violet and the prince do have some shared memories. It's not unheard of for people to reconnect with childhood sweethearts in their golden years.

• Love 4

I don't like him, and think it would be a mistake for Violet to say ys to him, but that remark to Isobel later in the episode does make me a tad uneasy about her intentions. The one where she said she had recently been reminded that when you get a second chance, you don't always get a third. There's a part of me that thinks Julian Fellowes considers this guy romantic, and a catch for Violet. Not to me, but if that's how it is, all bets are off as to how they write Violet's decision.

I don't like him either.  I think it is the actor though.  I just didn't see any chemistry there.  Maggie Smith is a fantastic actress though.  She managed to portray a woman remembering the heat of passion enough to be flustered at the sight of the prince even if the actual actor was more of a wet blanket.  Ugh.  Not to mention the fact that Violet does not cotton to "fortune hunters" no matter how noble.  She was the first one to note Rosamund's would be fiance was a fortune hunter.  It sours the romance when you have nothing to bring to the table but a title and empty pockets.  If he had wanted to run away, he would have found Violet shortly after he left Russia.  This to me was just being an opportunist.

Edited by kpw801
  • Love 2

I hope I'm not disappointed later on but, right now, I like the Prince.  Sure, he's penniless and might be looking for a nice home but I also think he does love Violet.  The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.  He's probably lost any feelings he had for the wife and even if/when Violet finds her, he might want a divorce so that he and Violet can live without scandal.  The best outcome would be if the wife wants a divorce as well. 

• Love 3

One important thing to consider in Violet & the Prince's relationship is his wife. Violet has put Shrimpy on the case and she's still believed to be alive. At this point, it seems as though Violet has more interest in finding her than the Prince does. He seems ready for a hookup, wife or no wife. Violet, being the conventional woman that she is, isn't going to make any decisions until she has definite information on the Princess Kuragin.

That being said, I agree the Prince sees Violet as his get out of Refugee Jail. Hope she uses him for companionship only.

• Love 1
Violet and the prince do have some shared memories. It's not unheard of for people to reconnect with childhood sweethearts in their golden years.

I realize we don't know the details but I'm not sure theirs was a romance of any length or depth.  Violet has seen a lot in the ensuing years and I find it a stretch to think she'd even call then sweethearts. She was married with a couple of kids and had a fleeting attraction.  I don't see her as a woman who moons over lost loves.  Seems to practical for that, at least to me.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 1

I know it's not a popular view, but if Tom had left with Miss Bunting I really wouldn't have missed him. His character just doesn't interest me very much, I guess because they don't give him a whole lot to do.

See, for me it's just the other way round. By now he is the only character that still interests me and the only reason I watch. If he's out, I'm, too.

About the prince: He grosses me out. I find him slimy and he needs a bath. Urgh, I really think he's awful. I hate the whole storyline. I don't want Violet to have a "hussy" past. It just doesn't fit IMO.

• Love 3

Violet's reaction to her Prince's declaration was hard to read, perhaps on purpose. She clearly has mixed feelings about the Princess. Remember, she said to Isobel regarding Lord Merton, "You hold the winning card. His wife is dead." (or something like that) Which makes one think that if the Prince turns out to be a widower she would indeed be interested in more than a friendship, and yet, to me it doesn't fit her character to take in this penniless man who she hasn't seen or heard from in decades. I hope she makes him cool his heels because people do change and she might find he is not at all the person she thought him to be 40 (or more!) years ago.

With Isobel and both Lord M and Dr. Clarkson we got to see a relationship develop and a believable compatibility emerge. Not happening for me, yet, with the Prince.

• Love 1

I wouldn't think that the Prince could get a divorce. He'd almost certainly be Russian Orthodox, not Anglican, and I don't think that they granted or recognized divorce.

I believe it was possible, but only if the "innocent" party applied for the divorce, and only if adultery by the other partner could be proven.  The rule was much the same in Britain in the late Victorian/Edwardian era (see The Forsyte Saga), but may well have loosened up some by the '20s.  

I don't know, it worked out for Robert and Cora.

Oh, snap! But at least Robert had a large amount of property and a huge house in the country and another in town (and a couple of others).

On the other hand, Cora had to take on Violet as a mother-in-law.

Prince K just seems enamored of his own "run away with me" romantic notions. As Violet said when she visited his room/hovel, "There's no one left to run away from."

• Love 1

Ah, but that was before Edith had an affair with a married man and had a child. Times change, and Violet may have mellowed.

I probably sound like an idiot, but it is possible to love someone and not sleep with them. Everyone seems to have the prince moving into her bed. I think it would be nice for Violet to have some companionship, especially if Isobel is getting married. Violet and the prince do have some shared memories. It's not unheard of for people to reconnect with childhood sweethearts in their golden years.

The Prince did mention he wanted them to be 'lovers'!

• Love 1
Everyone seems to have the prince moving into her bed. I think it would be nice for Violet to have some companionship, especially if Isobel is getting married. Violet and the prince do have some shared memories. It's not unheard of for people to reconnect with childhood sweethearts in their golden years.

I think the story with Violet and the Prince would work better if they built up the companionship aspect. Show them making each other laugh, taking walks, going to the opera, assisting other Russian refugees, etc. Have the awkwardness be about how to formalize the relationship due to lack of knowledge about the status of the Princess. (There would even be a parallel with Edith here in a way.) Have Violet be risque enough one time to have him stay over in one of her guest rooms without inviting anyone else to make it more seemly and then maybe have a story where somebody gossips to Robert about this one time Violet decides to break with propriety by allowing the Prince to stay the night. There were a few possibilities with this storyline.

• Love 2

I believe it was possible, but only if the "innocent" party applied for the divorce, and only if adultery by the other partner could be proven. The rule was much the same in Britain in the late Victorian/Edwardian era (see The Forsyte Saga), but may well have loosened up some by the '20s.

Granted I know Greek Orthodox not Russian Orthodox (because to become a godparent for my niece I had to 'convert') but they're loosely related within the Orthodox Church. In 1980s they still wouldn't allow divorce within the church (they'd turn a blind eye to divorces *outside* the church, but thats not within the church.) One assumes the marriage of the Russian prince and princess would be within the church, so while a civil divorce would be possible it would never have been acknowledged by their religion with his being allowed to remarry (not that I could see Violet agreeing to convert in the first place and, much like needing to convert to be a god parent, they require conversion to marry as well.)

Edited by shipperx

I think the story with Violet and the Prince would work better if they built up the companionship aspect. Show them making each other laugh, taking walks, going to the opera, assisting other Russian refugees, etc.

That's missing for me, too.  I would expect Violet to enjoy intellectual engagement in a companion, and I'm not seeing it.  I'd also like to see Violet excited about being courted!  I was hoping she'd get a little fun and romance, but she got a determined declaration of intent.  It was all about what he wanted.  No joy.

Contrast that with Isobel and Dickie Merton.  Dickie was equally honest and straightforward during his pitch to Isobel, but he swept her off her feet.

• Love 4

RedHawk said:

I liked Daisy's "How Green Was My Valley" speech about the wonders of London opening her eyes, that is, until she became the mouthpiece for the Socialist Workers Party. "I'm so discontented, so resentful! It's as if my whole life were a prison I have to go back to."

I agree that this sounds extremely artificial when transcribed onto the page, but it made me realize how good the actress is. She's given Daisy a personality and accent that made the line believable and in character to me when she said it.

• Love 5

Blake "I'm posted to Poland".  Mary "Some people have all the fun."

later Violet to Mary: "Don't ever apply to be a diplomat."  Violet is always the best.

Recall that Germany invaded Poland in 1939, which immediately led to France, the UK, and the UK's dominions such as Australia and Canada to declare war on Germany.   Is Blake headed off to disappear like Gregson did?

• Love 1

Recall that Germany invaded Poland in 1939, which immediately led to France, the UK, and the UK's dominions such as Australia and Canada to declare war on Germany.   Is Blake headed off to disappear like Gregson did?

He's going for one year, not fifteen.

• Love 4

He's going for one year, not fifteen.

How long was Gregson missing?  It seemed like at least 15 years.  ;)

Actually he was gone missing for  two years when we heard he died. He went to Germany in spring 1922 and Edith heard about his death in spring 1924.

It doesn't make sense that Robert says he was killed in the Beer Hall Putch though, because the Beer Hall Putch was in November 1923. Gregson was already disappeared 1.5 years earlier. I'm not sure Robert said that he was killed in the Beer Hall Putch or only that Gregson's body was found during the investigations regarding the Beer Hall Putch. Then it would make sense again.

• Love 1
I'm not sure Robert said that he was killed in the Beer Hall Putch or only that Gregson's body was found during the investigations regarding the Beer Hall Putch. Then it would make sense again.

I try not to read a lot of outside chat or spoilers about "Downton", but one thing I did read was that in the U.K., when Gregson's disappearance/death was finally accounted for by this explanation, the viewers went crazy over the fact that it made no sense chronologically and there was a huge amount of discussion, then finally everyone just agreed that it did not make sense and they'd just have to get on with it. One day we'll all look back on this and laugh.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Prince and Violet, even though I don't like him. Very curious to see where their story is going, although I don't have high hopes that it will make sense or be what normal, sane people might do.

• Love 1

I realize we don't know the details but I'm not sure theirs was a romance of any length or depth.  Violet has seen a lot in the ensuing years and I find it a stretch to think she'd even call then sweethearts. She was married with a couple of kids and had a fleeting attraction.  I don't see her as a woman who moons over lost loves.  Seems to practical for that, at least to me.

That is right, and in a speech to someone (possibly the prince) a few weeks ago, she spoke of her marriage to the late earl. Something about being unhappy, perhaps the prince not being unhappy, and then, "... and I certainly was not!"

RedHawk said:

I liked Daisy's "How Green Was My Valley" speech about the wonders of London opening her eyes, that is, until she became the mouthpiece for the Socialist Workers Party. "I'm so discontented, so resentful! It's as if my whole life were a prison I have to go back to."

I agree that this sounds extremely artificial when transcribed onto the page, but it made me realize how good the actress is. She's given Daisy a personality and accent that made the line believable and in character to me when she said it.

I agree. However, AIUI, Sophie McShera has a natural, home-grown Yorkshire accent. She probably plays up the working class style, though.