Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Episode Eight

Atticus's dad reminded me distractingly of Yul Brynner. It's so striking I think the actor must cultivate it intentionally.

Oh, me as well. It was driving me crazy. All along, I'm supposed to be seeing this character as Jewish, and I'm having a hard time not seeing him as either a Thai king or a cowboy in a black hat. It was definitely distracting.

• Love 6

I want it to turn out to have been Green's mother, who had come to visit. He was surprised to see her, said "What are you doing here?" and she moved in for a hug and accidentally knocked him off-balance and into traffic.

• Love 10

How come Rose got the pics at the restaurant & not at the Grantham house?

Edith brought the package of pictures with her, saying Carson had given them to her to give to Rose after they were delivered to the House.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1

I too thought the so-called witness to Greene's surprise at seeing someone, was a woman.  And agreed that simply hearing that statement shouldn't automatically lead one to think a murder had been committed.  So obviously the police/Fellows isn't telling the audience the whole story of what their evidence is.  And unlike Vera's death, we know Anna didn't kill Greene because why would she be worried Bates did.

Did I miss what happened to O'Brien?  She was 'poached' by Susan, right?  So where did she go when Susan had to "let her go?"

And what a bitch Susan was to Rose.  Its not like Rose had all these men clamoring for her hand after her Season in London.  The only man who appears to have shown her any interest is someone she met after returning to Downton.  And at least Rose wasn't expected to come up with dowry to help 'pay' for the marriage.  Considering Rose's family has no money, good thing she married someone who was already rich and titled and didn't need anything from Rose (other than a desire she be Jewish, but oh well). 

Did Susan want Rose to become the next Edith?  Its already akin to ridiculous that anyone still considers Edith worth marrying, given her age.  She's well on the way to spinsterhood.

I had to chuckle over the comment that "Grantham House" in London would no longer have a full time housekeeper.  Its not like the family seemed to use the house all that often.  Most of the time, it appeared that when the family stayed in London overnight, they stayed with Lady Rosamund.

Daisy's story, eh, I don't care.  She's always been such a pill and rude to people that it matters not to me that she wants to leave the Granthams.

• Love 3

I too thought the so-called witness to Greene's surprise at seeing someone, was a woman.  And agreed that simply hearing that statement shouldn't automatically lead one to think a murder had been committed.  So obviously the police/Fellows isn't telling the audience the whole story of what their evidence is.  And unlike Vera's death, we know Anna didn't kill Greene because why would she be worried Bates did.

The police did say the witness that had come forward was a man - I missed it the first time, but rewatched and they do say it to everyone when they first talk to Anna and Bates, with Carson and Mrs. Hughes present.  I agree with the rest, though.  There is nothing about Greene's murder mystery that makes any sense so there must be some evidence they haven't revealed.

Did I miss what happened to O'Brien?  She was 'poached' by Susan, right?  So where did she go when Susan had to "let her go?"

O'Brien was hired as the ladies' maid to the wife of Shrimpy's replacement in India.  They said it when Carson and Mrs. Hughes were walking through the downstairs hallway talking about who would be arriving when for Rose's wedding, and were talking about Rose's parents not having any servants anymore because they'd lost their wealth.

And what a bitch Susan was to Rose.  Its not like Rose had all these men clamoring for her hand after her Season in London.  The only man who appears to have shown her any interest is someone she met after returning to Downton.  And at least Rose wasn't expected to come up with dowry to help 'pay' for the marriage.  Considering Rose's family has no money, good thing she married someone who was already rich and titled and didn't need anything from Rose (other than a desire she be Jewish, but oh well).

It was pretty funny that Susan said Rose would be an outcast.  Who will be the bigger outcast, the sunny young woman who marries for love and gets a wealthy aristocratic husband in the bargain, or the soon-to-be divorced, not wealthy, unhinged, nasty, embarrassing-in-public shrew?  How many invitations will she be getting once her latest unpleasant outburst gets around?

• Love 11

What Green reportedly said was, "Why have you come?"

Poor Anna with her quivering lip. No wonder the guy picked her out of the lineup, she looked guilty as hell. And I did think the Scotland Yard guy gave a significant look in her direction, as if there's some sort of setup, likely of Bates. Maybe it has to do with his previous imprisonment and how he pissed off and got the better of some guards, perhaps one has now risen to high rank and wants to get revenge on him. Might explain all this inexplicable concern over a servant/vicious rapist who ended up under a bus in a seeming accident, and the "witness" who came forward one year later to turn it into a murder case, and all these ridiculously nonspecific "clues".

Not that I care, mind you.

Please, Donk, invite Shrimpy to live at Downton, especially if Tom leaves. You need to even out the upstairs man count. And I love Shrimpy! 

I'm hoping that our Christmas miracle is that Prince Kuragin has run away with Denker. She seems more his type than Violet.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5

Oh, me as well. It was driving me crazy. All along, I'm supposed to be seeing this character as Jewish, and I'm having a hard time not seeing him as either a Thai king or a cowboy in a black hat. It was definitely distracting.

Oh.  You are so wrong for that!  lol.

• Love 1

I think Roses's new father-in-law is super hot in a Yul Brenner kind of way and I liked seeing his realistic reasons against the marriage presented.  I had a serious relationship with a Jewish man in college and he told me that his family would simply never accept a "shiksa," as his wife.  Even his sister was angry at being introduced to me.

I'm convinced Baxter killed Greene.  I think he's the man who seduced her and convinced her to steal.  I hope I'm wrong because I would rather lose Anna from the show than Baxter.

• Love 3
Its not like Rose had all these men clamoring for her hand after her Season in London.  The only man who appears to have shown her any interest is someone she met after returning to Downton.

Rose has had other men be interested in her she just hadn't been wowed by any of them until Atticus. It comes up in the conversation with Shrimpy when she's talking about how she won't marry unless she's absolutely in love. Rose had a sensational debut so there was never any doubt in my mind that Atticus was the only man who was interested in her. Rose even had guys like Sir John Bullock chasing her before she'd had her actual debut. Rose definitely wasn't in an Edith-like situation.

I really liked it when Robert checked Lord Sinderby when the disagreement with Shrimpy and Sinderby over India came up.

It interested me because the Amritsar Massacre (or Jallianwala Bagh Massacre) came up during the episode of The Jewel in the Crown which aired on my local PBS station two hours earlier.  What a coinky-dink.

• Love 4

And I did think the Scotland Yard guy gave a significant look in her direction, as if there's some sort of setup, likely of Bates. Maybe it has to do with his previous imprisonment and how he pissed off and got the better of some guards, perhaps one has now risen to high rank and wants to get revenge on him

I was thinking something similar.  But my guess was that Vyner himself is setting up Anna in revenge for her showing up the cops and getting Bates released.  His friend or relative gets fired for being incompetent and then he sees her name on a case file and decides to take it over which is why it took a year for them to find this witness and why he's been doing everything he can to make her look guilty.

It interested me because the Amritsar Massacre (or Jallianwala Bagh Massacre) came up during the episode of The Jewel in the Crown which aired on my local PBS station two hours earlier.  What a coinky-dink.

Same here! And thanks the actual explanation in TJITC, I knew what they were talking about when it was referenced (but not explained) on Downton.

Cool moment.

The writers seem to take a perverse delight in robbing us of favorite characters, either by death or displacement. I'm really getting tired of losing everyone. This episode brings us shake-ups in the family and the servants to such a degree it feels like the whole household will soon go spinning off into space. No permanent housekeeper? Branson's departure looming, Daisy, etc., etc.

Don't worry, Downton Abbey is Hotel California: "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

One of the other reasons I think the whole Anna/Bates/Green/Vyner thing is fishy is because, to my recollection, none of the "after the episode" short videos that PBS posts on their YouTube channel have talked about this storyline. Idk, it could be nothing, but it just makes me think a twist is coming and that someone is setting up the Bateses.

I'm convinced Baxter killed Greene.  I think he's the man who seduced her and convinced her to steal.  I hope I'm wrong because I would rather lose Anna from the show than Baxter.

But Baxter met Green and there was no sign of recognition. They actually got along quite well in the short scene or scenes that they shared at meals in the servants' hall.

• Love 1

It was pretty funny that Susan said Rose would be an outcast.  Who will be the bigger outcast, the sunny young woman who marries for love and gets a wealthy aristocratic husband in the bargain, or the soon-to-be divorced, not wealthy, unhinged, nasty, embarrassing-in-public shrew?  How many invitations will she be getting once her latest unpleasant outburst gets around?

To be fair, reality TV hasn't been invented yet.

• Love 3

While I don't enjoy her, I do feel some sympathy for Susan.  She might have brought the money into that marriage and watched Shrimpie  mismanage it several times over.  She has probably been repeatedly ignored or neglected by both her husband and children, her children because they know her ideas are out of date and that her voice carries no power.  She probably had her spirit beaten down anytime she tried to assert herself or develop a life of her own.  In other words, her life may have been just like Cora's, but her temperament would not permit her to live in the quasi-Valium state that Cora does.  Numbing out is a great way of taming the inner bitch within all of us.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 4

I have watched every episode, but for the life of me I can't remember how/why Shrimpy lost his money.

Shrimpy and Susan failed to economize in any realistic way and continued to live as though they were still making the same level of income pre-WWI. In the Christmas Special of season 3 Shrimpy talks about watching money slip away because he didn't modernize Duneagle. They were employing servants and observing expensive rituals that they could no longer afford and basically did so until they could no longer.

S&S also failed to have an heir, unlike Robert & Cora, who was skilled at inheriting landed estates from distant relatives or fat packets of cash from former prospective in-laws.

• Love 5
While I don't enjoy her, I do feel some sympathy for Susan.  She might have brought the money into marriage and watched Shrimpie  mismanage it several times over.  She has probably been repeatedly ignored or neglected by both her husband and children, her children because they know her ideas are out of date and that her voice carries no power.  She probably had her spirit beaten down anytime she tried to assert herself or develop a life of her own.

Or she could just be a bitch, like Mary. What I like is that the actress, Phoebe Nicholls, played Elizabeth Elliot, Anne Elliot's snooty/bitchy and unmarried older sister in the BBC's production of "Persuasion" back in the mid '90s. I enjoyed her in that role, recognized her right away, and like that she's playing almost the same character on "Downton". 

• Love 4

Funny, I remember rather liking Susan whenever the family went up to their old estate for whatever. The actress certainly got the juiciest part, even it none of it made very good sense unless she is simply nutz.  Why would she target her future son-in-law at all, much less so crudely? I think it is odd that Shrimpy suddenly became #1 DAD after "ruining everything" in his marriage. Oh well, but @Mary Hedwig, your assessment may be correct, that she simply "lost it" at some point (or perhaps this is Fellowes writing about that mystery that is menopause). FWIW, I've been surprised that not a single character has had a drinking problem that I recall. Robert -- a few seasons back -- or Tom -- the Irishman -- would have been rather obvious, but now with Shrimpy, it could explain so much that otherwise doesn't make much sense. 

• Love 1

My thoughts about the episode,

The good: 

Daisy, Mr. Molesley and Miss Baxter's stroll.

As sad as it was, I thought the heartbreaking scene of Rose getting the pictures was really well done. Although I knew Atticus had done nothing wrong, it looked terrible, and I really ached for her.

I liked the reason Robert gave Cora for selling the painting.

I loved the closing scene of everyone walking back to Downton. I liked all the snippets of the various conversations, and the final shot of the abbey with everyone heading toward it. A visually beautiful and really appropriate closing scene.

I agree with all those who loved the clothes. I adored Rose's wedding suit and reception gown, and I thought Tony and Mabel looked particulary smart together, especially when they just arrived and he had his tophat on.

I enjoyed Tom, Edith, Rose, and Mary going to lunch together.  I'd like to see more of these small groupings.

The Bad:

There was not enough Rose and Atticus at their reception!  I kept wanting to see the happy couple together. I loved them when they first met, but we have rarely scene them alone together since, and I thought this episode would really showcase them. The scene with them together at the reception was so short that it was shorter than the scene with Mary and Mr. Carson. Must scenes of Mary take over everything including someone else's wedding?

And speaking of Mary, even if she were my favorite TV character ever, I'd be sick of other characters telling the audience over and over again how great she is. And how did Mr. Carson come to the conclusion that Tony was "not good enough" for her? If he said they weren't right for each other, I could buy that. But not good enough for her?  

Sadly, I agree with the posters upthread who said that they don't care about the downstairs people any more. With the exception of Mr. Molesley and Miss Baxter, I really don't care about them anymore either. I really used to, though. I miss the days of darling William playing the piano, and Sybil helping Gwen to persevere in her efforts to become a secretary, and when Anna was actually happy, and John Bates was likeable. And I miss how the scheming Miss O'Brien could occasionally completely surprise us by being so compassionate to someone like Mr. Lang, the shell-shocked valet. But almost everything about the downstairs group has been blah for ages.

• Love 3

In thinking of Susan's character, remember Violet's comment about her when Shrimpy said she was throwing a tantrum over the family remaining friends with him. "Susan has been throwing tantrums ever since she was in the nursery," or something along those lines. Sounds like she's been awful forever. 

That said, I agree that time/losing her money and status/hormones could have pushed her over the edge into Queen Bitch territory.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1

My husband is Jewish and it took a while before his mom accepted us.  The first time I went to his hometown, I stayed in a hotel and he had to sneak around!  His friends knew about us, of course. 

Note:  His sister married a non-Jew and even THEN, there were rabbis who turned them down.  They ended up with a country club wedding with a very hippie-looking rabbi (this was 2008 or so.  And yes, if you told me that 60-something woman was at Woodstock back in the day, I'd believe you) co-officiating with a minister.   I don't know why they just didn't opt for a non-religious officiant.

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2
But Baxter met Green and there was no sign of recognition. They actually got along quite well in the short scene or scenes that they shared at meals in the servants' hall.

Wow, Helenamonster, thanks.  I wouldn't even have remembered Baxter had started working at Downton by that time.  Well good then, I didn't want Molesley's heart broken.

• Love 1

Funny, I remember rather liking Susan whenever the family went up to their old estate for whatever. The actress certainly got the juiciest part, even it none of it made very good sense unless she is simply nutz.  Why would she target her future son-in-law at all, much less so crudely? I think it is odd that Shrimpy suddenly became #1 DAD after "ruining everything" in his marriage. Oh well, but @Mary Hedwig, your assessment may be correct, that she simply "lost it" at some point (or perhaps this is Fellowes writing about that mystery that is menopause). FWIW, I've been surprised that not a single character has had a drinking problem that I recall. Robert -- a few seasons back -- or Tom -- the Irishman -- would have been rather obvious, but now with Shrimpy, it could explain so much that otherwise doesn't make much sense. 

I've always been curious as to what happened to make the Flintshires bite the bullet and get the divorce even though it's more expensive for them in the long run and they don't really want to have to deal with the disapproval of society. Susan in particular seems especially upset about the loss of her position in society. They could have lived apart as much as Robert suggested only coming together for the really important things. It seems like they both wanted to move on and so to me this hints that Shrimpy had found someone else. 

The question of drink being the issue is interesting because I could see it being that in a way but then I have a hard time imagining him being a diplomat in that case. The other thing is you'd think it would have been whispered by some other character, if not a member of the upstairs crown then certainly a member of staff. Susan though does seem bitter in a way towards Shrimpy that Shrimpy doesn't feel towards her and that makes me wonder if he ever got up to anything. Then again, Susan is totally the type to throw it in his face if he had so I guess not. 

It would have been nice if we'd had a line just to give a hint as to what the problems are. 

• Love 1

If Fellowes had not shown us "what really happened" I think it would have eaten up more precious minutes than it did. Similarly, it would have been very very nice if Rose had decided to convert before the wedding and undergone instruction, and had a real Jewish wedding, etc. -- but that would not even remotely have fit into the timeline of ending the season which was rushed enough. As it is, it feels like losing a daughter without gaining a son ... though I trust they will both be in the Christmas Special. And we will also "learn Tom's decision" at the CS which feels like it's been hanging fire for years now ... still, it's hard to imagine Downton without him. Cue Kleenex. 

• Love 1

FWIW, I've been surprised that not a single character has had a drinking problem that I recall. Robert -- a few seasons back -- or Tom -- the Irishman -- would have been rather obvious, but now with Shrimpy, it could explain so much that otherwise doesn't make much sense. 

Bates had a drinking problem pre-show, but yeah, nothing actually within the Downton timeline. I'm almost surprised he hasn't taken it up again with everything that's gone wrong in his life since 1912.

Uh-oh, I may have just put the S6 Anna/Bates plotline out into the universe. Cue the plinky plonky sad music!

• Love 1

Well, it would give whichever actor -- Bates is fine with me -- something to sink his teeth into. (Moseley had his unfortunate winetasting debacle) I just realized I probably thought of it because of Violet's maid's drunken scene. It's been a funny season -- Violet has become flesh-and-blood in the last 2 episodes in a way I certainly never saw her before and I really like it. Isobel's always been an "open book" in many ways but she's been a more "shaded" character as well. And of course, Cora has been something of a revelation as a 3-D character as well (if inconsistently). It's been so striking and so "out-of-character" for these characters we've known for so long, thinking of Violet in bed talking to her maid about the Prince, her face soft and relaxed, guard down.  Anna (in particular) and Bates are due, though Bates had a down-time sitting in his comfy chair in front to the fire. Yes, it was fun to see Daisy, Baxter and Moseley walking and talking, even if Daisy's lines were utterly cringe-worthy no-human-being-ever-said-that -- yes,yes, you were blind but now you see and you want to throw yourself off the London Bridge, got it. All her talk of leaving probably means she's staying put. Mrs. Pattmore has had some dynamite scenes as well.  

Did I miss mention of O'Brien? Last seen running off to India with Susan? Christmas Special reunion????

Edited by SusanSunflower

The way I remember it, when we first met Rose's parents (that CS where Matthew dies), Shrimpy tells Robert that when Susan and him got married, it was out of duty, like, they believed in the "system", and wanted to perpetuate it, but after many years of marriage, and having their oldest kids out of the house living their lives, there was nothing left but the sad fact they didn't have anything else in common, and they didn't particularly liked each other. Not to mention their financial ruin, for which Susan resented Shrimpy. The man himself admits he should have modernized like Robert did.

Still, there's a difference between being an all around insufferable pain in the ass, and being, well, whatever adjective you want to call Susan. I mean , I have no problem believing she's a bigot, and I wouldn't have been surprised if she had tried to talk Rose out of marrying Atticus constantly. Instead, she comes up with a plan that is most likely to hurt her own daughter's feeling, and embarrass her, and also Atticus who was totally innocent. There's just nothing left inside this woman.

The saddest part about Tom leaving, would be the dissappearance of the best child actor in the show. I'm just tired of both his and Daisy's "what should I do with my life" dance. The least said about the Bateses, the better.

• Love 3

Susan actually ignored Shrimpy's threat that if she did anything else to derail Rose's happiness, he would tell Rose the origin of the pictures.  Susan did go ahead with her divorce pronouncement thinking that would have a different effect than it did.  But Shrimpy didn't follow through, because he's too decent to want Rose to know and be hurt by how vile her mother really is.  Even he underestimated the depth of Susan's ugly bitterness.  I was hoping Violet would have more to say than her pithy "it's too late" or however she put it. 

• Love 3
I'm just tired of both his and Daisy's "what should I do with my life" dance.

This is beyond annoying by now.  When either of 'em start this incessant whining I hit mute.

And I love Shrimpy!

Me, I just love saying "Shrimpy"!  But then again, I like shrimp.

• Love 3

Susan did hate India but their time there was done so that wasn't a factor.

Me, I just love saying "Shrimpy"!  But then again, I like shrimp.

I love the character of Shrimpy and would like to meet his sisters Louisa the Lobster and Agatha the Shark. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 3

Just curious, did they ever explain how he got that name?  Clearly, it doesn't refer to his height cuz he looks of average to almost tallish stature.  Btw, he does seem like a very nice guy, if a bit dullish.  Susie baby woulda been miserable with anyone.

Did I miss mention of O'Brien? Last seen running off to India with Susan? Christmas Special reunion????

SusanSunflower, yes, but it was very brief.  Mr. Carson & Mrs. Hughes were pondering the thought of Cora coming face-to-face with the "traitor", but it was revealed that Miss O'Brien stayed behind to be the Lady's Maid to the wife of the Governor-General.

I agree with all those who loved the clothes.

OK, inquiring minds want to know.  I saw a lot of sleeveless dresses in this episode.  In those times, did respectable women shave their armpits?  I could have sworn there was an episode many seasons back with Mary and Matthew in bed where it sure looked like Mary's underarms had never had a razor swipe.  If armpits are shaved, is that one of Anna's jobs?  Oh come on, some of you have wondered about this too...

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

Just curious, did they ever explain how he got that name?  Clearly, it doesn't refer to his height cuz he looks of average to almost tallish stature.  Btw, he does seem like a very nice guy, if a bit dullish.  Susie baby woulda been miserable with anyone.

Robert explains in the season 3 CS that the names come from a nursery game between the MacClare children. My impression is that Shrimpy was the youngest and that's probably how he ended up with the nickname. Robert also makes a comment that it was easy to believe Agatha pretending to be a shark so presumably she's a piece of work not unlike Violet. 

It came from some kind of nursery game he and his sisters had when they were children. As someone mentioned upthread, there was also Louisa the Lobster and Agatha the Shark. "Shrimpy" ended up sticking well into adulthood.

I've always liked that the show had a character called Shrimpy. It never seemed particularly hamfisted, just a childhood nickname that even a grown, titled man couldn't shake. Same with Sybbie and Donk. Both names are ridiculous, but they work.

ETA: Whoops. Jinx, Avaleigh.

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 1

Donk's memorial for Mrs. Patmore's nephew was sweet, but making her attend the ceremony without cluing her in seemed like a creepy loyalty test to me. The nice surprise didn't justify the unnecessary anguish he caused her.

Well, I guess I'll have to give up on Tom ending up with Rose. I have no interest in him marrying one of the Crawley sisters.

I love the name "Dickie Merton" so much, I've begun addressing my husband thusly. Hsppily, he's into it.

• Love 4

Speaking of the nicknames, the penchant that the upper classes have for nicknames is something that comes up frequently in JF's work. He talks about how nicknames are really a way to kind of reinforce snobbery because it's a way to exclude people. People who call Shrimpy "Shrimpy" instead of Lord Flintshire or Hugh are automatically showing that they aren't close enough to feel comfortable using the nickname. Lord Merton is "Dickie" to the people who have known him for ages, Lord Anstruther went by "Jock", Lord Gillingham is Tony, etc.

Robert is really the only one of the Crawleys with an established nickname and he picked it up later in life. It's kind of surprising that not one of the Crawley girls seems to have a nickname. No nicknames for Violet or Rosamund either. I never noticed this before. 

• Love 2

I've always liked that the show had a character called Shrimpy.

I love it, such an English nickname, just the type to stick into adulthood.

Mr. Carson & Mrs. Hughes were pondering the thought of Cora coming face-to-face with the "traitor", but it was revealed that Miss O'Brien stayed behind to be the Lady's Maid to the wife of the Governor-General.

I marveled at her ability to keep falling upward in her career. I'm sure working for Susan was no picnic, however, and she earned her shillings. Susan's lucky she didn't slip on a strategically placed bar of soap and break her neck...

• Love 3

I liked Daisy's "How Green Was My Valley" speech about the wonders of London opening her eyes, that is, until she became the mouthpiece for the Socialist Workers Party. "I'm so discontented, so resentful! It's as if my whole life were a prison I have to go back to." 

Good heavens, child, we know you admire your mentor but please don't turn into Sarah Bunting! 

But then a few tears from Mrs. Patmore and Daisy's all "Oh, I changed my mind. I'm happily staying here in the Downton kitchens, which I likened to a coal mine only two days ago."

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 4

Aaaaand with just one appearance, Lady Flintshire takes the crown as the official Worst Character of the Season, edging out Sarah Bunting. Whew! 

I knew they were going to suspect Anna. This is what the show considers a surprise twist. Only, not.

Liked Rose's blessing dress. Favorite moment, though, was Lady Sinderby's riposte about being able to find help, "We're Jewish, so we pay well." 

• Love 2

I hope we see a puppy butt walking in the beginning of the next season. :)

I liked Susan- everyone was complaining that this season was so dull- well, she livened it up a little. I remember her as Cordelia from Brideshead Revisited, many moons ago.

Lol at the Yul Brynner resemblance, I saw it too.

I thought this whole dreary Bates story might be a revenge on Mr Bates from that former prison guard, but for it to have gone so far as Scotland Yard...

I love Thomas but he has no subtlety when it comes to his attractions. He comes across as creepy.

I agree that Matthew's reference to Marigold looking like Gregson was his hint that he knew who the father was, not a diss on Edith or actually remembering what Gregson looked like.

I laughed at Mary's snarky comments about Edith. They seemed teasing like siblings do. Not as mean spirited as other comments in the past.

• Love 3

I'd love it if Anna really did murder Green, and Bates agrees to cover her crime.

I don't see Mary as mean-spirited. I thought her comment to Edith about lunch, "even you," was snarky with love. If Edith ever asked Mary for help, Mary would be there. But Edith won't ask.

• Love 2