Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Episode Eight

Yay for happy Edith!  So nice to see her holding her baby and glowing.

Is Edward still prince right now, or has he begun his short reign?  If I were she, I might be making a phone call to call in a favor.  I think the inspector might care who she is then.  Stupid storyline.

David (the POW) doesn't become King until 1936.  Still he was fairly popular as the POW and I imagine he might've been able to squash the investigation of a man who preyed on as many women as Greene did.

Nice Thomas is so much more enjoyable than evil Thomas.

I love it when Thomas shows grace notes like that (also loved how his friendship with Jimmy developed).  But yeah, he needs to stop leering at fresh downstairs meat because his gaydar is way off.

After this episode, I'm wondering if Guiliano Mignini started his career at Scotland Yard.  What a joke of an investigation.  And if those other women in the lineup really were also victims of Greene, that is appalling.  Poor Anna, what a nightmare.

I think the only thing fishy about the Bates thing is all the energy they're putting into finding the killer of a man they knew raped a number of women.  Was rape considered of so little importance back then?

I was poking around and discovered that Baroness Orczy (who wrote the Scarlet Pimpernel) published Lady Molly of Scotland Yard in 1910, a series of short stories about Lady Molly who helps Scotland Yard solve crimes by bringing in her knowledge of domestic affairs, a precursor of Miss Marple. That's who Anna needs right now.

Personally I never want to see Strallan again after his behaviour but I imagine he must have made peace with Edith and the other Crawleys since they would be traveling in the same social circles.

Rose's remark about leaving the child-raising to nannies was typical of her class and the time.  Tom seems to spend a lot of time with Sybbie, which makes sense since he's working class, but Mary only sees her son for the hour that the nannies bring the children down before dinner.

I didn't think of it at the time, but Robert saying "michael Gregson" makes sense as a shortcut for "love child." And given his tolerance of Mary's affair, I can actually buy it. Been saying all along that it's 1924, not 1884. It's not that big a deal in the long run.

When I was in school in the 1970s, a couple of girls got pregnant and both had to give up their babies for adoption and we were only boring middle class.  One of the girls even married her boyfriend later and they had a couple more kids but it was still considered unacceptable for her to have kept her baby.

It will never be not wrong for Mary to constantly cut Edith down, she does it without thinking, like breathing or shielding her eyes from the sun, (when even Violet thinks it's wrong, you know it is), but I'm glad to see that now that Edith has Marigold and is happier, she can deal with it better.

• Love 2

I love it when Thomas shows grace notes like that (also loved how his friendship with Jimmy developed).  But yeah, he needs to stop leering at fresh downstairs meat because his gaydar is way off.

I may be naive, but I didn't see Thomas as leering at the temp footman.  I thought his spidey senses were tingling about what Denker was up to, and he wanted to shut her down and protect the kid if he could.  I just didn't get a sexual component or vibe there.  (Hope Uncle Thomas doesn't prove me wrong in the future.)

• Love 8

I'm puzzled about the characters missing from a couple of scenes in this episode:

1. Why wasn't Edith in the scene with Rose's pre-wedding trousseau review?  Cora, Violet, Isobel and Mary were all there, but no Edith.
  2. Where was Anthony Strallan during the unveiling and dedication of the WWI memorial monument?  Strallan fought and was wounded in the war; wouldn't it have been appropriate for him to have been there?  I guess maybe it would have been too awkward for him to have attended an event where his erstwhile fiancee and her whole family were in attendance?

Edith may have wanted to bow out considering her being jilted at the altar.  I can't imagine she would want to participate.

I think Thomas was just protecting the young kid-- Denker was getting drinks for suckers. I like New Good Thomas

Not me.  I can't shake the feeling Thomas was just sniffing around for some young dick.  Andy ain't much, but he's nearby.  And Thomas doesn't actually know for sure what his deal is.  Maybe Thomas was -- er, feeling him out, to see if he might be into it.  Did I imagine this or was Thomas gettin' kinda close to Andy & Andy backed away & looked mighty uncomfy?  It could be like his friendship with Jimmy.  If he can't have the young hot guy (more referring to stud-pup Jimmy than to meh, but he's at least there, Andy), he can be close by & keep his boner(s) to himself.

So what if Mrs. Drewe decides to blab to the town that Marigold is the illegitimate child of Edith?  Would she have to leave Downton in disgrace?

Yep. Mary has always escaped the consequences of her actions. Easier for Fellowes to pile on Edith than to have Mary face rugged outcomes for her decisions.

I said earlier and will say again...it was good to see Happy Edith. Let's hope it lasts into S6.

Mary was tormented in a variety of ways after her first sexual experience. Just because she didn't get pregnant doesn't mean that she didn't suffer any consequences.

• Love 4

So is this the end of Rose?  Oh, I know she's mostly useless but I like her spirit.

Has JF always written such black & white characters?  Either you're a meanie or an angel & nothing in between?

Probably. She would go and live with Atticus and his family. It would seem rather odd if the heir to a title was living in his wife's home rather than the one he would eventually inherit. 

I thought this was one of the best fashion episodes since Season 1.  I loved the pre WWI clothing much more than the '20's styles, so it was nice for me to see Rose's pretty blue suit for her registry wedding and the gorgeously ornate gown she wore for the "blessing,"  showing more detail than just a sheath. I also loved her fluffy hair with yellow roses that she wore with that.  I've seen enough waves plastered to the ladies heads.  My fear is that next season they will all have slicked down bobs like Mary's, those points are often just an inch from her mouth and I expect even Carson wouldn't think Lady Mary looked good eating her hair.

• Love 7

Marigold looked laced out on cocaine!  Too funny!!  But true..... 

More like downers.

Continuity problem that bugged me:  Violet is shown saying she will wear the lavender day dress Denker suggests for meeting with the Russian, but when we see her with Kuragin, she's in a steely grey outfit.  Later, not sure the same day, she appears in a gorgeous lavender dress.  Why mention the lavender for Kuragin and then not at least follow through on it?  This show. 

• Love 2

I'd hope Mary's reaction would be to give Edith that Stopes book, tell her where to get the contraceptive device, and send Madge out for it.  

Poor Edith.  Her one and only sexual experience led to a baby.  Mary gets a baby, plus all the carefree hotel sex she wants.  Help a gal out, Mary!  Show Edith the way!

Upon reflection, it's a little odd that Mary knew about the book, but Edith didn't. Edith is, after all, a member of the media and generally a little more attuned to the world outside of Downton.

How did Mary know about it, and Edith not?

Did Mary blackball Edith from her Loose Ladies Who Lunch Book Club?

• Love 3

More like downers.

Continuity problem that bugged me:  Violet is shown saying she will wear the lavender day dress Denker suggests for meeting with the Russian, but when we see her with Kuragin, she's in a steely grey outfit.  Later, not sure the same day, she appears in a gorgeous lavender dress.  Why mention the lavender for Kuragin and then not at least follow through on it?  This show. 

I thought her outfit looked like a deep lavender, but I was watching on my laptop so it was hard to tell.

The clothes in this episode were amazing! Rose looked spectacular, I loved her wedding dress.

Susan is the absolute most miserable person on the planet! Wow, such misery. Poor Shrimpie. Run far and run fast.

• Love 2

At first I was squinting trying to make that dark outfit some shade of lavender, then sort of forgot.  But in the departure scene, there Violet was in the beautiful lavender outfit. Even if that dark colored outfit could somehow be construed as lavender, having a truly lavender dress in Violet's next scene was just dummmmmb. 

• Love 1

Upon reflection, it's a little odd that Mary knew about the book, but Edith didn't. Edith is, after all, a member of the media and generally a little more attuned to the world outside of Downton.

How did Mary know about it, and Edith not?

Did Mary blackball Edith from her Loose Ladies Who Lunch Book Club?

I think it's not so much that Edith was ignorant of contraception as much as she didn't have time to prepare. Wasn't it an unplanned encounter?

I can't imagine how it didn't even cross Robert's mind that Marigold might be Edith's daughter (especially considering, you know, that she went abroad for months and months around the same time Marigold was born).

No surprise that Robert didn't put it together sooner. That would have required that he expend some energy thinking about Edith, and we know that just doesn't happen. I mean, Bricker was trying to screw his wife, his son-in-law is thinking of leaving with his favorite grand kid, the memorial committee wanted his butler instead of him, and, worst of all, his dog was sick. Not a lot of time for Edith and her sad sack life. Of course, if all Robert had going on was sitting in the library all day, he still wouldn't have put any thought into Edith.

• Love 2

I was poking around and discovered that Baroness Orczy (who wrote the Scarlet Pimpernel) published Lady Molly of Scotland Yard in 1910, a series of short stories about Lady Molly who helps Scotland Yard solve crimes by bringing in her knowledge of domestic affairs, a precursor of Miss Marple. That's who Anna needs right now.

That's who Anna needs to be right now. Oh, imagine the possibilities if she weren't stuck in the Land of Perpetual Suffering.

I'm kind of hoping for S6, now that JoFro's got her Golden Globe, that Fellowes will finally back off the doom and gloom. Anna used to smile, y'all.

• Love 2

Well, in spite all the issues I have with this show... Mrs. Patmore brings the waterworks for me every time.

I couldn't believe that I cried like a baby when they unveiled the plaque. I assumed something was going on when they asked her to come to the ceremony, but wasn't expecting to feel as emotional as I did. My late husband was a combat veteran who served in Vietnam. I kept thinking about the guys who had PTSD, how little was known about it and how little the VA did to help those guys. It's better for recent vets, but it was tough back in the '70's as it was for Mrs Patmore's poor nephew. enough...

• Love 4

I can't figure out why Violet is still holding on the Denker.

Did you see Violet's hairdo in the scene where Prince Kuragin visited? She looked great, so Denker must have excellent hairstyling skills. I'd put up with a lot to have someone live in and make my hair look perfect every day. 

Also, why does Marigold look laced out on codeine every single scene?

I'm guessing the censors cut the scenes where we see Mrs. Drewe drugging Marigold every day to keep her quiet and docile. I'll bet if Edith looked inside that teddy she'd find a small codeine bottle. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3

I was chilled when Anna joined the line up of women raped by Green.  Way to victimize them further, police station.

Is THAT what you think happened there?  Yikes.  I just assumed it was a line-up of random women of the same height as Anna.  But someone pointed out that Anna was the only blonde (I didn't notice that).  If so, that may be the a technicality that gets the trial thrown out (or preferably stopped before it begins.)  Alternatively, I'd like to see a sharp lawyer convince the jury that even if they believed the crown's appallingly weak case, they should find the defendant non guilty because Greene was a serial rapist and he had it coming.

I think Anna was arrested by Scotland Yard, not the local constabulary who might be more effected/intimated by the "great house" and "Lady" Mary. Perhaps if the Granthams had more of a place in London they could have used their influence a bit, but with them living way out in the country how much influence could they really have with the Yard?

Of course, this whole murder investigation is a farce to begin with. No one in that time period would care this much about a servant being alledgedly pushed under on a busy London St. The investigation would have been cursory at best.

The actors who portray Gillingham and Blake look NOTHING alike. The problem of not being able to tell them apart is with the writing & the characterizations which are like paperdolls cut in the same shape from the same piece of cardboard.

Fellowes seems to do ok with initial ideas of a story & with characters (which is how we got Downton in the first place and some of the more compelling characters) but he's abominal at fleshing both out. He really should put the scripts into more competant hands & then just act as consultant.

Because of the time jump we usually have at the beginning of each new season it's possible that Tom will leave at the end of this season, but we could see his return (for whatever reason, I shudder to think of under what unbelieveable circumstance or reason  Fellowes will concoct) at the beginning of next season.

The only things I'm interested in seeing continue into next season is (are?) Mosely & Baxter's budding relationship & ditto for Carson & Mrs. Hughes. I do like Tom, but he's never been given a decent storyline. Even when he was with Sybil we never really saw their relationship evolve.

I found it odd that Rose's siblings were not at the wedding/dinners.

From DianeDobbler's post: "the writing only toyed with the premise and didn't play it out." - the writing on this show only toys with EVERY premise. Nothing is really played out.

Spratt didn't get fired because Violet doesn't want to go through the hassle of finding another butler. She said as much in a previous episode.

I can't see anything attractive about the Russian prince either. But perhaps in their hayday he was dashing, maybe even charming. He also had money & position back then to bolster his ego and now he has nothing.

I love Shrimpy.

I'm hoping Thomas is taking Baxter and the doctor's advice of making the most of what he has. Besides his helping out Andy the temp footman (although this may become suspect) in the beginning of the episode he was very effeciently handing out an inventory list to Carson and giving another some such list to Mrs. Hughes or Mrs. Patmore. This looked helpful and he was smiling. But I have to chuckle reading Cleo's comment about "his yearly good deed."

Shipperx, I can just see the Russian guy pinching housemaids' bottoms!

I think the Bates/Green story is fishy because the writing smells.

I rewatched the ep this evening and most of the ladies in that lineup had their hair hidden under hats so it was hard to see hair color.

• Love 1

My tv showed a deep lavender color.

"The witness saw a person in London who was short. So clearly the killer is ... MRS. BATES." That is some stellar police work, there, Vyner. Remind me never to get murdered in London.

I absolutely hate this storyline, but I have noticed that the police have never actually said the witness saw a man (or a woman). it is my guess that they knew it was a woman all along. They interviewed Baxter and Anna. Interviewing Bates may have been more along the lines of seeing if he could/would alibi Anna - rather than the other way around. I'm guessing this may be part of the ultimate "solution" - but it is excruciatingly boring and unbelievable.

Somewhere someone asked why Rose and Atticus were married in a Registry Office (I searched for the post twice, but couldn't find it, sorry). When the couple are not of the same religion, no churches/synagogues in those days would perform religious ceremonies. The registry offices were the only option. Some churches will now do it, but not all, by any means. 

• Love 2

Guess I'm alone in not believing "Good Thomas" can possibly exist.  My theory is he only helped Andy out cuz he wants something.  Maybe he wasn't obvious in being attracted to him.  But calling himself "Uncle Thomas" to Andy creeped me the hell out.  He may just want to get Andy close to him & possibly make a move later on -- or like Jimmy, he just wants to have a young, sorta hot guy nearby.  And he got Andy to feel indebted to him, so he's in -- or maybe hopes to be.  Oh please, Evil Thomas ain't gone.  No way.

• Love 3

I love Prince Kuragan, but then I adore Rade Šerbedžija. He should start singing "Some Enchanted Evening" to Violet. ;-)

YES!!  I knew I couldn't be the only one to recognize him.  Thank you!

Violet's dresses -- they both looked lavender to me. And, I'm sorry to admit that it looked like the same dress in both scenes. Also, Violet + lavender = pun?

• Love 2

How come Rose got the pics at the restaurant & not at the Grantham house?

Why would Rose be an "outcast"?  Seems to me she's marrying pretty darn well.

Mary's "teasing" of Edith is never playful or fun or cute.  Just mean.  Mean, mean, mean.  But that's Mary.  Let's what kind of guy she can attract now that she's dumped off hunky dim Tony & gay sidekick Charles.

• Love 2

And Daisy has options. She has a farm she could be learning to run. She could even take her cooking and catering skills there and open a farm tea shop if she wanted to be self employed.

Daisy lives in 1924, not 2015. There weren't any cosy little farm tea shops in 1924. She's a trained cook who mostly enjoys her work - she'd have to give up the career path she's worked hard at to go run that farm. She isn't ready to do that yet. She is comfortable where she is, knows her job inside out. Part of the reason she started her lessons this season was because she was worried about not having the skills she'd need on that farm. She isn't ready yet to make that change. Change is hard, even for those who've always known it was possible. For someone like Daisy, who is just beginning to realise she has more options than she'd ever known, it is terrifying.

A lot of cooks in Daisy's position struggled when they left their jobs at the big house to get married and run homes of their own, because they knew how to cater on an industrial level for the upper class, high end catering, but not so much how to run a small, low budget home!

Robert should have at least said that Marigold reminded him of Edith when she was a baby. That would have made more sense to me than seeing Gregson when Gregson was barely a presence in their lives.

But the way he said it was code for letting Cora know he'd guessed not only about Edith and the baby, but the identity of the father.

• Love 6

She would be an outcast because she married someone Jewish.

Also, the Flintshires had a son named James and a married daughter named Annabelle.  Shrimpy said in the Season 3 Christmas episode that James "went away" but I'm not sure what he meant.  It could mean he died or that he is choosing to live away until he inherits.  They did have a casting call out for someone to play Annabelle and her husband but I think they ended up being extras.

Susan would probably be living in the family's London townhouse.  They lost their country estate but they still have the other place. Obviously, she won't be living in as grand a scale though.

I was wondering if "ask your Uncle Thomas" thing was meant to be some kind of code but I couldn't find anything.  

I think Tom will end up with Edith.

But only after a week of sex with Mary.

I can't figure out why Violet is still holding on the Denker.  I know she doesn't like change but this woman is making trouble in her household, both households actually.  Maybe now that she's keeping Isobel, Violet can get rid of Denker.

I can't figure out why this new third-string character Denker is suddenly being given so much face time.   She's not very interesting and it all seems so forced.

• Love 7

I don't believe that's what he meant. I think he'd always imagined a grandchild born out of wedlock as the worst imaginable thing that could happen to one of his daughters, something he could never accept...yet now that it has, to his surprise he finds that, having seen Edith and Marigold together, he doesn't care about the illegitimacy and potential scandal the way he'd assumed he would, instead feels nothing but love.

Earlier in the season I suggested Donk was experiencing a mid-life crisis, feeling more and more irrelevant as the world around him changes beyond his control -- last week, even his beloved dog died.  

In this episode, we see him come to terms with several of the issues which challenged him during this season: he has repaired the hairline fracture in his marriage; he has found a way to manage change in the village; he emerged heroically as regards the war memorial.

His loving acknowledgment of Marigold confirms that he has found the serenity to accept the things he cannot change, and to be happy with the blessings he has.

• Love 14
I was wondering if "ask your Uncle Thomas" thing was meant to be some kind of code but I couldn't find anything.  

No, he was just presenting himself as the worldly-wise agony uncle helping out the naive youngster. It's quite a common thing.

• Love 1

Mary was tormented in a variety of ways after her first sexual experience. Just because she didn't get pregnant doesn't mean that she didn't suffer any consequences.

Torment, if it was (let's see, she was able to hide things for years, she ended up marrying the man she wanted, etc.), is not the same as consequences. So she didn't get preggers, in the parlance. There were other consequences that could have happened. About the only torture that I can recall was her having to sit next to Anthony Strallan at dinner. Perhaps having to give her secret to Sir Richard might qualify. But even then, nothing major came of it.

• Love 1

It wasn't code for anything other than him trying to get Andy to see him as an older buddy & trusted friend.  Ew.  Gives me the chills to say that about Thomas.  We don't know what his motives were, but I still don't trust him for a second.  

Now, he was a pretty good friend to Jimmy, no matter what his motives were for doing that.  So it is possible Thomas just wants to be an "uncle" to Andy.  But I have my doubts.  Even tho Andy ain't all that hot, I still think Thomas is being nice to him cuz he's after something more.  Well, that's what sinister mustache-twirling Thomas would do anyway.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

I imagine Fellowes thinks he was quite clever by bookending Bates and Anna being charged with murder.  The thing is that the audience is finding it all very tedious.

(Above statement written with Mary's voice in mind.)

• Love 5

Oh my God this bored me tonight, except for Susan and Lord Sinderby.  We need snarks like them every week. Too many people are becoming 21st century nice and understanding. 

Anna and Bates: You better run before you get caught for murdering Isis and Archduke Ferdinand as well. 

Seriously - if Mr. Greene fell in front of a carriage, how is someone Anna's size responsible? A murder like that in plain sight requires the strength and cunning of a Mr. Bates. (Even Frank Underwood pushed a much smaller person in front of the DC metro.) All we know is that Greene had been arguing with someone short before he was killed. Murder seems like a huge stretch. More like, very fortunate coincidence for the person/people who hated him, and unfortunate for Tony who now had to hire a new valet.

• Love 3

More like, very fortunate coincidence for the person/people who hated him, and unfortunate for Tony who now had to hire a new valet.

Well, not even that, because Tony had already sacked Green before he was killed, so he was going to be without a valet either way.

All we know is that Greene had been arguing with someone short before he was killed.

As I recall, he wan't even arguing - he said "what are you doing here" which is even a more ridiculous stretch to murder.  All of this stretching is going to snap back and put an eye out.

• Love 5

Well, not even that, because Tony had already sacked Green before he was killed, so he was going to be without a valet either way.

And . . .

As I recall, he wan't even arguing - he said "what are you doing here" . . .

I have had a feeling all along that Tony did the deed.  If someone fires an employee, wouldn't it be understandable for that employee to be surprised to see his former employer - especially a lord at a bus stop? 

The next time Tony saw Mary after Green's death and she brought up the topic, he had a very odd look on his face.  I think Tony killed Green because Mary asked him to fire him, and Tony wanted to be sure that whatever caused Mary to ask him to do that was something that would not come back to affect Tony's plans with Mary.  If he was willing to so blithely dump his fiancee for her, killing a mere valet wouldn't be a big deal.

• Love 1

I realize this was not the intended response, but when the show cut from Anna's arrest directly to the rest of the cast sitting and listening calmly to speeches about the World War I memorial, and then showed everyone walking calmly back to the house, I started to laugh.  Way to show how worried and concerned everyone is about Anna.

Though to be fair, this is about the weakest murder case in history:  "I saw a short person near Mr. Green! CLEARLY ANNA MURDERED HIM!"  No wonder nobody's that worried, and Mary was so indignant that the person responsible for her hair might have to be gone for a few weeks because of this. I feel for Mary here. I really do.

• Love 5

The writers seem to take a perverse delight in robbing us of favorite characters, either by death or displacement. I'm really getting tired of losing everyone. This episode brings us shake-ups in the family and the servants to such a degree it feels like the whole household will soon go spinning off into space. No permanent housekeeper? Branson's departure looming, Daisy, etc., etc.

Here's what: I think Branson should marry Mary or Edith. So there. And if they don't give me what I want, I'm just going to fantasize my own end.

I'm not even going to entertain the notion that something bad will became of our poor Mrs. Bates.

Edited by renatae