Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Stay

Liz dying is sad, but I liked her calling Damon her best friend.  However, it was odd that even Liz shrugs off Damon's killings.

I'm glad Elena's parents car accident was just that - a car accident.

With Liz dead that leaves Matt's absent mom who expects Matt to be the responsible parent when she comes to town, and Bonnie's mother who abandoned her twice as the only living parents?

I thought we would get to hear more about Damon's mother.

• Love 1

I'll join the folks getting the grit out of their eyes.  This episode was just really good.

I was all set to be sad about Jeremy leaving.  I know he hasn't had a storyline in 2 seasons but he's Little Gilbert.  Instead I got punched in the gut with Liz dying!!  I liked that Damon got to share so much time with her - I wouldn't have called them BFFs but they've been close for ages and the affection for each other feels real to me.

Liz's last scene in her memories was just so moving.  As a daughter, my heart broke and I cried.  As a mom, my heart broke and I cried.  Well done, show.

On a happier note, Steroline!  I've never really shipped them but I love how Caroline makes Stefan smile more than anyone else.  And I love how she's pretty much free to just be herself around Stefan.  So, to me, the Steroline kiss was lovely.  I'm onboard.

And I hate to admit it because I really liked Enzo, but what the hell are they doing with him?  His storyline is not only idiotic but it's boring and takes you out of everything else that has sucked you in!  I hope this crap ends soon - kill him or give him something less stupid and more interesting to do!

Edited by 2Old2BAFangirl
  • Love 9

Other than the Enzo foolishness, this was such a good solid episode which made me feel all of the feels.

I was going to post this exactly!  This was the definitely the best episode of this show all season... and probably better than all of last season too.  Hopefully the writers can continue putting out quality episodes for a change.

There were so many things to love about this episode:

1.) The callbacks to past events- I loved Elena and Jeremy reminiscing about all the cars they've wrecked, their parents, etc.  Also loved that poor Jenna *finally* gets a posthumous mention (it's always irked me that she was all but forgotten on this show almost immediately after her death)

2.) Stefan and Caroline's first kiss- we all knew it was coming, but all the buildup paid off and the actors have real chemistry.  This is a great, natural pairing.

3.) Jeremy is out hunting vampires- this was an interesting twist that I didn't see coming (which is refreshing since lately all the twists to the show have been telegraphed).  It's interesting that it leaves room for Jeremy to come back on to the show and sets up some interesting possibilities in terms of new storylines.

4.) Damon and Sheriff Forbes' friendship- the unlikely friendship was used well in this episode and brought to a touching close.

5.) The final scene with Caroline and her mom- I hated seeing the character die, but this scene was tastefully done and emotionally a home run.  She was one of my favorite characters on this show and I will miss her.  I am glad to see that she went out on a powerful note and that she appears to be getting a proper send-off.

• Love 8

I don't know why I was surprised, as this show has never really cared much for parental figures and eventually always ends up killing them (Tyler's parents, Elena's parents were dead when the show started and then they killed Jenna, etc.). But for some reason, a small part of me actually thought there would be some last minute twist that would save Liz. Sad to see her go...but I liked that unlike Jenna and Tyler's parents' death, it had nothing to do with vampires, supernatural and just plain ol' human suffering. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Odd that Elena didn't bug too much this ep.  The writers really seemed to be trying hard to address the fact that she has been a shitty sister.  I didn't want her to rob Jer of his joint, but is it a little weird that the way she finally becomes a good big sis to him is to get stoned with him?  What is the show saying exactly?

Is no one in the main group concerned about Enzo abusing Jer and Matt?  Enzo needs to die, Stat.  He was such a welcome presence in his first few appearances last season, but now the character doesn't make any sense.

Now that I've stopped sobbing...I probably can't comment coherently on the episode anyway. Marguerite MacIntyre was so excellent. The tears started for me when she started breaking down in bed. When she said, "I did everything right," it was over for me. And I'm crying again. Great.

ANYWAY. It never occurred to me that they might enter Liz's consciousness like Damon did with Rose, and that was such a lovely thing. Everything was just perfect, and my God, with the baby Caroline on the bike...

The Steroline kiss was rather lovely too, and PW did an excellent job conveying that feeling of being a little stunned by a moment like that. I'm glad they're finally infusing this with the depth it needs, on Stefan's side. Also loved Caroline's blatant ogling of him earlier in the episode.

AND. I love that Jeremy isn't going to Art School. For as much as Elena (and others in her place) have always tried to control Jeremy for his own protection, it's nice that he was allowed to exit the show to go do something cool and heroic. I believe it from his character too, which is nice. That's a great ending for Jeremy.

• Love 5

This is one of the first episodes in a while that got me on an emotional level.  It felt like old TVD, which was welcome.

Liz dying was so well done, heartbreaking and sad.  I very much enjoyed Damon and Liz hanging out at the sheriff's office best friending it up. 

Caroline and Stefan has been building and there was nice pay off tonight; I like this Stefan.  He seems like the Stefan I like the best when he shares scenes with her.

Aw, Jeremy.  I was surprised with his and Alaric's secret of the vamp hunting instead of school.  I honestly hoped that he'd walk away from this crazy life.  If Supernatural has taught me anything, it is that there isn't really ever totally "out".

I adored Enzo last season!  He was sarcastic, fun, yet vulnerable in the most interesting ways.  Who is this dude right now?  I hate that Matt is his butt monkey and he's messing with Sarah's life for 1)  upsetting Stefan and 2) some weird, twisted thought that he's helping Damon.  I just can't.  It's like the writers thought "this dude is great" and then had no clue what the hell to do with him. It's too bad b/c I find the actor compelling.

• Love 2

Seeing Liz go was sad. I cried as she died, really sad

Thought Tyler should have been there for Caroline too. Damon being the one to spend Liz's last day with and not Caroline, I wasn't that found of. Seems like more Damon propping. 

Jeremy's good buy was well done, Alaric being the one who knows the truth and being the last to see him. 

• Love 2

This episode was really good.  But for my inability to forget Bonnie, I was totally sucked in.  Even Enzo's useless, nonsensical, and overly complicated revenge scheme couldn't really detract from it.

I think it was a good choice to let Elena have her good bye with her brother and Damon with Liz.  And I was glad Caroline got to have her moment with her mom.  Also, the kid playing Little Caroline was adorable.

And the Steroline kiss was lovely. 

I will allow next week for grieving Liz.  Then... get Bonnie home!

Edited by RachelKM

I loved that Damon cleared half of her cases by just looking at the pictures and claiming them as his work. I believe that he was responsible for a lot of deaths but I also thought that he might have thrown a few extra in that pile just to clear her case files so that he could get her to relax and leave work.

My dad died less than a year ago and I didn't get to say goodbye to him before it happened, so I really felt for Caroline. But what got me more was Liz breaking down about how she had been a good person and done the right things and this still happened to her. As cliche as it is, bad things happen to good people all the time. We want to believe that it's the bad guys who suffer but in reality, it's often normal people who suffer more.

Even though I am really sad to see Liz go for multiple reasons (she is one of the only humans, she is one of the only adults left on the show, and she always seemed like a genuinely good person), I am glad that they had her die a natural death just like Buffy's mom. When you are surrounded by supernatural creatures, it's easy to start believing that everything is the result of magic or demons or otherworldly circumstances, but that is what makes the ordinary death of a human even more heartbreaking. There's no magical cure, no bargain to be struck, no one to blame. It's just the pain of life happening.

It never occurred to me that they might enter Liz's consciousness like Damon did with Rose, and that was such a lovely thing.

When Damon tucked Liz into bed, I thought she was going to die and Damon would go into her dream state to give her a peaceful death. It was nice to see that Stefan showed Caroline how to do it so that they could spend a moment together before she died.

One of the smaller moments that almost made me cry was when Liz was in her office and she closed her eyes because she wasn't feeling well. Damon took her hand and held it to his chest as he asked if she was okay and then didn't let go. I think even then he knew that her death would be sooner rather than later.

I remember way back in S1 or S2, someone pointed out that Damon has the crazy eyes when he is being sarcastic or hiding something but that when he is being sincere, he has normal eyes. I know he has toned down his eye acting somewhat but I noticed that he had no crazy eyes at all while interacting with Liz during this episode.

Although I am still not crazy about Stefan and Caroline finally hooking up, the scene on the porch was beautifully shot. It was very cinematic with the sun setting behind them.

I loved the twist of Jeremy going off to become a vampire hunter on his own. I have no problem with him hiding it from Elena either. For some reason, I feel like this balances out when she had Damon compel him to go live in Colorado. My favorite part of Jeremy's farewell was Alaric saying, "Shut up and let me hug you." Awwwww! I'm glad they had Alaric point out that Jeremy is 18 and an adult now so he can make his own choices.

And besides, how did Elena really believe that he was starting art school now? The show didn't specify the date, but it's a few months before graduation so what kind of art school would be starting a new semester now? I was already questioning that in the very first scene so I'm glad it all turned out to be an elaborate lie.

Amid all of these emotional scenes about Jeremy leaving, Elena and Jeremy talking about their parents' deaths, and Liz dying, Enzo's scenes landed like a lead weight. He has seriously turned into a cartoon character. Dude, you hit Matt with a car! I love Matt but he gets major demerits for answering his phone and walking TWO STEPS away from Sarah before saying, "We're here. Where the hell are you?" I guess it's a good thing that Sarah is selectively deaf or she would have realized that Matt was up to something.

• Love 3

Sometimes I think I'm missing a bone in my body that makes me able to swallow the trite nonsense American TV shows trot out when someone is dying. That scene at the end with the little girl as Caroline learning how to ride a bike almost made me vomit. Ugh. It's just so damn cutesy, you know? I get it, it was sad before that. I didn't need to see a cute little blonde girl riding a bike to feel the sadness. It actually took me out of the episode because it was so damn heavy-handed. Less is more, you know? 

I thought the SC kiss was lovely. A little shocking because normally I can take or leave her, but Stefan makes her bearable for me. I also liked that she didn't get to spend the last moments with her mum, because that feels far more real. Of course then they ruined it with the aforementioned vomit scene, so thanks for that, writers.

Glad Jer is gone. Wish he'd have taken Enzo and Matt with him.

At least there were no Liv sightings, right? That alone upped my enjoyment of the ep tremendously although no Kai made me pout a little.

Damn you, CA and MM, their scenes made me secrete ocular fluid last night. At first I did not like how Caroline missed her mother's last conscious moments but Damon spent all day with her, but now I can see that having done that made it more, I don't know, real or something. Not everyone can be with their loved one when they take that final breath although it was nice of Stefan to guide Caroline into that dream-state thing with Liz. Aw.

I really loved that Jeremy planned his own future and that Alaric assisted, and loved when Ric reminded him that Jer was going to have to actually create some art work so as not to make Elena suspicious, LOL. Hopefully this leaves the door open for Jeremy's return.

Stefan and Caroline's first kiss was beautifully shot. I never would have thought those two would be compatible.

Matt knows how to stake a vampire. STAKE ENZO ALREADY. And this is coming from somehow who lurved Enzo last season!

I still don't buy that nobody knew what Vampire blood does to cancer patients. Cancer isn't that uncommen and there is no way nobody of our Vamps or the Vamps they know ever fed their blood to somebody with it. A lot of people with early stage slow moving cancers would have been a walking mass of cancer, suddenly.

But besides that problem I have with the whole storyline, Liz's final day was very well done, with every storyline that played into it.

The other storylines weren't so great. I'd rather watch Bonnie drive over empty roads for 10 minutes than watch one more moment of Enzo's weird convoluted revenge thingy, he has going on. Could somebody please just stake him?

Then we have Jeremy, who is going to be a vampire hunter, despite the fact that one singular Vampire just kicked his ass into next week, after announcing himself. Then Enzo even held him down, with one leg, without showing any signs of strain. Man that hunters strength has gone to crap. That magic should still be there right?

Edited by Miles
I'd rather watch Bonnie drive over empty roads for 10 minutes than watch one more moment of Enzo's weird convoluted revenge thingy, he has going on. Could somebody please just stake him?

Yeah, who really gives a shit about Bonnie right? Plec and company leave her for half the damn season in some alternate universe, all alone, where she's per the usual persona non grata. But this useless, pointless character whose actions make not a damn sense and is annoying as fuck gets to suck up screentime. I will really need Stefan to take a break from his budding romance with Caroline (adorable though they may be) and finally get rid of Enzo once and for all and make sure the fucker stays dead this time.

I just cannot understand what the writers are going for with Enzo. He has some nonsensical revenge plot that barely makes sense but more importantly is against someone who hasn't really done shit to him other than treat him as the insignificant twat he is. And then it's supposedly related to Damon but that's the same Damon he's barely had a scene with and who acts like he barely remembers Enzo exists. So seriously....WTAF?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Then we have Jeremy, who is going to be a vampire hunter, despite the fact that one singular Vampire just kicked his ass into next week, after announcing himself. Then Enzo even held him down, with one leg, without showing any signs of strain. Man that hunters strength has gone to crap. That magic should still be there right?

I was wondering about this as well.  Maybe it was because he was high?  At the very least, he should have made his first official professional vampire hunter slay Enzo before leaving town.  In addition to that, did Jeremy not think to tell anyone that Enzo was using him to threaten Matt to do something??

• Love 3

I really enjoyed Damon and Liz’s scenes, of course they were somewhat tainted due to Damon and Caroline’s history.  Although apparently EVERYONE associated with this show has decided to re- write that particular story so I’ll play along for this episode since MM was killing it!  I mean, the young Caroline on the bike with Liz?  I didn’t even realize I was tearing up!

At first look I didn’t love Damon getting to be with Liz in the end but I started to think back when I lost a parent and realized a lot of how things went down rang true.
Sometimes when you’re that close to someone you get caught up in the particulars of talking with doctors and making preparations that you almost lose track of what is really important- being with the person.   I’m looking forward to seeing how it effects Caroline going forward.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I didn’t love the Caroline/Stefan stuff.
I have firmly been in the camp of loving the two as friends but grudgingly accepting the powers that be would put them together at some point.
Now,  I’m not sure if it was my preconceived notion of the two, but I felt like neither character was blown away by the kiss.
Don’t get me wrong visually it was filmed beautifully,  but I thought compared to the cinematography of the kiss, Stefan and Caroline’s reaction after it fell flat.
Almost as if they both didn’t really feel anything?  No passion, maybe?
I don’t know… I guess we’ll see.

Oh and by the way….. where the FUCK is Bonnie?
I’m so done with her separate storyline, let’s just wrap it up already.

• Love 1

Things I loved about the episode:

That wonderful, wonderful kiss that currently has every single Klaroliner in the world whining, flaming and lying on every message board and in every comment field on the internet. High entertainment, guys.

Things I hated about the episode:

How despite this episode being about Jeremy leaving, Elizabeth dying and Caroline grieving Damon had more screentime than either of them.

• Love 1

I think if you didn't cry last night, you are a sociopath - a four hankie ep for sure.  All the buildup in the promo with Jeremy's exit and the Steroline kiss - I wasn't sure they were going to kill Liz off - thought they might wait until the season's end. (For the record, I like S/C together, have ever since he helped her with her transition but that shipper name sounds like a disinfectant!)

Agree about the Enzo hate.  I don't like to hate TV characters but he just irritates. Being a bully to Matt and getting revenge on Stefan with Sarah is just boring.

I loved that Elena had the munchies and was eating fries like a human.  I suppose vampires still have appetites for things other than blood on this show?

(For the record, I like S/C together, have ever since he helped her with her transition but that shipper name sounds like a disinfectant!)

Still better than some of the other ones I've seen over the years, like Taylor Swift and Joe Jonas who were Toe, Katniss and Peeta from Hunger Games who were Peeniss and Sam and Kurt from Glee who were Kum. 

• Love 2

Amid all of these emotional scenes about Jeremy leaving, Elena and Jeremy talking about their parents' deaths, and Liz dying, Enzo's scenes landed like a lead weight. He has seriously turned into a cartoon character. Dude, you hit Matt with a car! I love Matt but he gets major demerits for answering his phone and walking TWO STEPS away from Sarah before saying, "We're here. Where the hell are you?" I guess it's a good thing that Sarah is selectively deaf or she would have realized that Matt was up to something.

I started fast forwarding through Enzo’s scenes… it's a method that has worked well for me when the Wolves come on TO, so I’m hoping for similar results on TVD as well.....

I just cannot understand what the writers are going for with Enzo. He has some nonsensical revenge plot that barely makes sense but more importantly is against someone who hasn't really done shit to him other than treat him as the insignificant twat he is. And then it's supposedly related to Damon but that's the same Damon he's barely had a scene with and who acts like he barely remembers Enzo exists. So seriously....WTAF?

I totally don't get the Damon connection anymore.

Speaking of things that don't make sense... Jeremy is going off to be a Vampire Hunter in the same episode that a Vampire pins his head to the ground in broad daylight and runs over his best friend?

Hey Buddy... if you're looking to kill Vampires we got one or two pointless sociopaths right in THIS town who could use some killing!  Geez….

• Love 2

I lost my own mother without getting to say goodbye, when Caroline burst into the ER screaming at Damon and started crying about how she didn't get to say goodbye, I was done.  Crying, blubbering, snotty mess.  I'm tearing up now just while writing this.

I would venture a guess that the reason the writers went with the Damon route rather than to have Liz's last moments with Caroline was to play up that emotion.  Because it really.....really......really sucks.

I haven't cried that hard at an episode at this show since the episode when Alaric chose to die and they played The Fray's "Be Still".  Seriously, this show with it's music choices.....ugh.

I couldn't be less interested in Enzo.

I don't mind Damon and Elena, but it was nice to have an episode that didn't include one of them being angsty about their relationship and rather just working together for something.  I was weary for a moment that when Elena went to the police station she'd start blubbering about her parents to which Damon would hold her close and tell her it would be ok, but instead it didn't happen.  She just seemed confused.

They need more episodes where Elena quietly stands in a corner while someone else gets front and center for a dying family member.  Hopefully next week's episode includes more of Elena helping Damon and Caroline through the loss rather than focusing on herself.  Considering she wasn't particularly close to Liz. 

• Love 1
They need more episodes where Elena quietly stands in a corner while someone else gets front and center for a dying family member.  Hopefully next week's episode includes more of Elena helping Damon and Caroline through the loss rather than focusing on herself.  Considering she wasn't particularly close to Liz.

It has already been filmed, but I feel you.  Let's have Elena stand in the corner for the rest of the season, OR show some consideration for someone else.

I didn't cry and don't like that Liz is gone, but I feel lucky about being there for my mother now.  I'm really OLD for this show - I'll be 55 this month - and I was 31 when my mom died in '91.  She was in a coma for three days and I was in the waiting area talking to my aunt and uncle when the nurse came to get me.  She could tell it was time and I was able to squat next to my mom and hold her hand, tell her "I'm here." Waiting for her breath to stop was insanely hard.  I didn't give the nurse a second thought, but she saved me from the pain and regret that Caroline felt at missing her goodbye.  Of course I had two and a half years to say goodbye.

I got a kick out of Damon being Liz's best friend.  They were such a great pair, and like most, I really like Damon better with adults. I loved that Damon stole some of Adult Ric's Adult Girlfriend's stash.  And kudos to the producers and the network for showing their heroine enjoying the buzz.

• Love 2

The whole Liz Forbes cancer stoyline as been really moving and I really enjoyed the Damon and Liz scenes yesterday. I chuckled when he said all the open cases were him and I did think it was funny how he kept reminding Liz that she was a terrible sheriff (she really was.) I do wish we'd seen more of Caroline and Liz together in these past two episodes but maybe that helped sell the impact of Caroline's devastation that she didn't get to say goodbye to her mother. That's the reality of the whole thing too, you can't predict death and she had no way of knowing Liz was going to die that day but it was still so sad. I always liked the vampire dream vision thing and I loved little Caroline on the bike with Liz telling her she needed to let go and she would be alright... omg I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Also just stellar acting from MM and CA who just brought their A game. Bravo.

The Jeremy stuff was good but I wasn't too sad to see him go. He probably should have stayed dead in S4 but it was a nice send-off and I liked the twist. I vote Elena should just becoming a stoner because I actually liked Elena last night.

I don't even remember what happened in the Enzo scenes because it such an unbelievably pointless storyline. I like Sarah though and I would appreciate it if the show didn't kill her, I just want Stefan to find out about the whole Enzo plan and just killing him already. It brings the whole episode down.

The kiss was lovely and I loved the way they shot it. I know the whole light thing has been a bit overdone recently but in this scene it worked. I think it was true to Stefan and Caroline's relationship, they're best friends who are falling in love so it should be sweet, tender, a little passionate and a little awkward. I also really liked that Stefan showed Caroline the vampire dream thing, I thought what he did for Katherine last season was really sweet and I was happy he showed Caroline how to do it.

The music is always good but the Damien Rice's "Color Me In" and Ella Henderson's "Yours" were particularily spectacular.

Edited by kmariee

Only on this show could a scene between the Sheriff and, as she said, "one of her best friends" going through open murder cases and being all "that was me", "also me", "yup me" and her being all "indulgent sigh" be so much awwwww. But they all did leave morality behind many stops ago and live and die for the tribe so I just found this scene sweet. Also when Liz was clearly so hesitant to bring up the one case she thought might have been foul play and she feared Damon might have been involved in aka Elena`s parents, how they both got serious. Damon quite sincerely told her no and you could see a weight lifting off her chest. I mean, she pretty much admitted she hadn`t followed that train of thought because Damon became her friend and she simply didn`t want to know something so horrible so it was nice to see her find that tiny bit of peace with the truth.

Elena and Jeremy getting high together was kind of sweet in a dorky way. Jeremy was so incredibly zen and goofy about leaving anyway. His farewell scene with Damon especially. They even made a joke about the klling thing. Only the "Katherine fed me to Silas and I died...and then recently, she nearly killed me again" sarcastic quip was better.

But there was actually a line of dialogue that kind of encompasses what is problematic with the writing now. Back when Damon first snapped Jeremy`s neck, it was, in a way, a big deal. What helped Elena over it was obviously that Jeremy didn`t die. And Jeremy himself had a conversation with Damon about wittling soon after where Jeremy seemed over it. But, for a while, it was a big deal. Then in Season 5 when Damon went off the reservation and Jeremy nearly got killed by Enzo, Stefan acted like it would be a big deal but wasn`t at all. Here, Enzo attacks Jeremy and Elena is at least incensed and promises to kick his ass. Jeremy`s response "I don`t need you to beat up bullies".

Bullies are people who take your lunch money, Jer. They are not murderous vampires who could have killed you. Why is noone alerting anyone to Enzo`s shenanigans? Matt is friends with both Elena and Caroline, both are vampires. He could also call on Stefan or if not, Caroline would probably do it. If Elena asked, even Damon would most likely whoop Enzo`s ass. If they all banded together, that`s four vamps to one. Enzo would be toast. Why isn`t Matt using the help which would be reasily available to him?      

Caroline and the dream with Baby!Care on the bike was really sweet. As was the Caroline/Stefan kiss. I really enjoyed their scenes here.

And see Delena can be a couple - presumably - without it overpowering the narrative in any way. It had no place here so it wasn`t written. More of that.   

• Love 3

I think that was the hardest, most emotional episode I've ever sat through.   I was so sad to see that Sheriff Forbes was dying because I believe she is one of the most decent characters on the show, other than Alaric.  Liz Forbes remained a good, strong, moral woman and a wonderfully accepting mother even though her daughter is now a vampire.  I loved seeing the friendship between Liz and Damon.  Their scenes together are so interesting and mature.  Now I don't know if Damon really did kill all those people in Liz's cold cases, but it was nice to see that he was trying to give her some closure.  It really didn't bring any relief for me to know that Elena's parents got killed because of an ordinary car accident.....any parents dying supernaturally or naturally is still heartbreaking.  Liz crying over finally solving this cold case felt heartbreakingly real.  I struggled like crazy not to burst into tears (hubby was in the room with me) when Caroline cried that she couldn't be with her mother during her mother's last moments of consciousness.  We don't always get the closure we want.  It was a very real thing.  Stefan teaching Caroline how to make her dying mother dream good things was just so awesome.  I also love Liz's dream of holding on to Little Caroline's bike as Little Caroline pleads with her not to let go.....and also how Liz let's go to finally let her daughter go....and grow up.  I was seriously an emotional mess at the end of this Show.

Finally we get the Steroline Kiss!  I literally fist pumped the air and screamed "YESSSS!"  My Steroline shippers' heart was so happy at that moment!  Please Show, don't fuck up this relationship!

I knew it wasn't going to be so easy that Jeremy will simply go out of town to art school and lead an ordinary life.  He's going to be a badass vampire hunter real soon.  Well, he better be because he didn't do so well with Enzo stepping on his face......!  I think it's great that Alaric saw Jeremy off to the bus stop.  Alaric always touched me because he remained such a good friend and decent guardian to Elena and Jeremy.  That bus stop scene was reminiscent to me of a proud father seeing his finally grown son off to school.  Good bye Jeremy.  You were so underused and so underappreciated on this Show.  Time for you to go and do your own thing.  Is it wrong for me to still wish for a spin-off named "Jeremy Gilbert, the Vampire Hunter"?

• Love 2

The truth is that I've already divested myself from this show so I didn't get hit with the full impact as I guess others did.  Though sweetly played, I seriously doubt Damon was Liz's best and only friend.  They've done too good a job erasing all of the adults in the show.  That so much of her last time on earth was spent with him irritated me a bit.  Which leads me to...

If they were going to kill off Liz, I think a nice touch would have been to bring Bonnie back first and have the whole gang of supposed friends, who have ALL lost one or both of their parents, surround Caroline with the love and support she needs, not just sympathy, but EMPATHY.  They get it.  Damon and Stefan could have hung in the background and even shared a beat that after being around for several hundred years they still remember how hard it is to lose your mother.  And maybe even a second beat where they all remember being kids with Liz and assorted other parents were in the picture.  With the death of the last parent, the torch is now passed and they all have to grow up.

Jeremy's going away showed that nobody actually cares about him.

I don't have feelings about Stefan and Caroline hooking up.  Caroline hasn't grown much as a character even though a lot has happened to her.  Stefan always comes across as the only adult on cast to me and I want him to be happy.  I don't know if Caroline is the one to bring that to him.  I hope so.

Enzo.

I didn't need to see a cute little blonde girl riding a bike to feel the sadness. It actually took me out of the episode because it was so damn heavy-handed. Less is more, you know?

I wasn't paying much attention to this episode.  I watched my mom die of cancer.  My best friend has what Liz died from.  I didn't need to watch this to prove that I am a feeling person.  I feel what is REAL.  However this scene felt like the most REAL moment in the whole episode.  It wasn't Caroline's memory it was Liz's.  Our parents always see us as that little one who still needed them to hold our hands or hold onto the bike.  It did affect me that Liz's dearest memory was when she was able to let go.  That knowledge that even though her precious Caroline didn't know it about herself, she is able to ride on her own.

• Love 1

Bullies are people who take your lunch money, Jer. They are not murderous vampires who could have killed you. Why is noone alerting anyone to Enzo`s shenanigans? Matt is friends with both Elena and Caroline, both are vampires. He could also call on Stefan or if not, Caroline would probably do it. If Elena asked, even Damon would most likely whoop Enzo`s ass. If they all banded together, that`s four vamps to one. Enzo would be toast. Why isn`t Matt using the help which would be readily available to him?       

The same reason they didn't kill or seal away Klaus any of the countless times they could have, or stood there while completely powerless humans had their way with the cast without even trying to do anything over and over again, or killed Kai one of the hundred times they had the opportunity, or... you get the point. It's because the writers are so awful that they can't write any plots or villains that don't require at least one person in the cast to be a complete idiot in order to work and Matt here is no exception.

Good bye Jeremy.  You were so underused and so underappreciated on this Show.  Time for you to go and do your own thing.  Is it wrong for me to still wish for a spin-off named "Jeremy Gilbert, the Vampire Hunter"?

I'd call it 'Buff (the) Vampire Slayer'.

I still can't process my thoughts on this episode, I cried messy tears only ten minutes ago just from thinking of Liz and those scenes. So all I'll do is say that I found the Enzo scenes so intrusive, yet so boring, in a great episode. He's long outlived his likeability, and even if this turns out to some sort of long con storyline where it's flipped to show that Enzo had lovely, loyal-friend intentions all along, I'm just done with him. And I feel bad about that, but he can't get staked quickly enough.

• Love 2
Bullies are people who take your lunch money, Jer. They are not murderous vampires who could have killed you. Why is noone alerting anyone to Enzo`s shenanigans? Matt is friends with both Elena and Caroline, both are vampires. He could also call on Stefan or if not, Caroline would probably do it. If Elena asked, even Damon would most likely whoop Enzo`s ass. If they all banded together, that`s four vamps to one. Enzo would be toast. Why isn`t Matt using the help which would be reasily available to him? 

I hope that now since at least Elena knows (I presume Matt was staying silent because he was afraid Enzo would go after his Mom) Damon and Stefan will now find out because this needs to either end or go somewhere fast. Damon better do something to protect Sarah because if he doesn't he just proved Stefan's point of being fearful in telling Damon because of the danger in his life, Enzo is Damon's friend and he wouldn't be all up in Stefan's business if it wasn't for Damon.

And see Delena can be a couple - presumably - without it overpowering the narrative in any way. It had no place here so it wasn`t written. More of that.

Agreed. Please please please more of this Delena, I'm totally fine with them just being together if its like this.

Damon better do something to protect Sarah because if he doesn't he just proved Stefan's point of being fearful in telling Damon because of the danger in his life

At the moment he doesn`t even know she exists, though. Let alone that Stefan kept her secret or Enzo is targeting her. Either way, I would find it quite unfair to put the current danger she is in at Damon`s feet. He can`t be held responsible for Enzo`s actions, simply because they are/were friends. Which, they shared one brief scene this year so I take it on good faith that they still are. But that doesn`t mean Damon put her in danger, Stefan actually set that in motion way more than Damon and I still wouldn`t blame him for Enzo`s ridiculous vengeance quest. I blame Enzo.  

• Love 1

Apologies, however I am having a really hard time separating anything from the Bonnie and her story lines. 

Didn't Bonnie's father die right in front of her? Wasn't he like... murdered in front of the whole town? I don't even remember him having a wake much less a funeral. 

I'm just slightly infuriated that though I have always liked the sheriff as a character, she has by no means been as big a character as Bonnie. I'm having a difficult time finding my sympathies. 

Did anyone else spend the entire scene with Jeremy's goodbye to Alaric expecting Bonnie to get off the bus Jeremy was about to board? I lost half the scene, I was watching that bus so hard.

No, I was jut really, really distracted by the fact that no bus driver in the world would wait that long. You aren't on the bus in 10 seconds? Well it's gone, because the driver has a schedule to keep.

He might be compelled to not tell anybody. I really hope he is, because otherwise that does not make any sense and I was thinking the same during the episode, tbh.

<Begin Rant> "You were dealing with Jeremy and I" I wish the Writers Guild of America would institute a mandatory minimum level  of grammar proficiency on all its members. Once upon a time if a character spoke ungrammatically you could be fairly sure it was a deliberate choice by the writer. Nowadays it's because the "professional writer" is ignorant of his own language. I don't really expect much, just doing I and me as well as less and fewer correctly would go a long way to make me happy. <End Rant>

Anyway, I hope Sarah strings Enzo along before impaling him in the back when he least expects it.

• Love 4

Damon and Stefan's mom was mentioned like six times between this episode and the last one, and I can't decide if it's because it's a related topic or if she's going to show up in a couple of episodes and start some shit.

• Love 3

He might be compelled to not tell anybody. I really hope he is, because otherwise that does not make any sense and I was thinking the same during the episode, tbh.

If Matt isn't on enough vervain to kill a cow by this point and thus could be compelled at all it would be far more nonsensical IMO. Besides the fact that he should be impossible to compel by now, if he could why would Enzo even bother with threatening Matt's mother or Jeremy or anything like that when he could have just put in a standing order like "do whatever I say from now on" and just call Matt up whenever he wanted anything? While he's at it, why not make Matt forget everything Enzo is having him do?

If Matt isn't on enough vervain to kill a cow by this point and thus could be compelled at all it would be far more nonsensical IMO. Besides the fact that he should be impossible to compel by now, if he could why would Enzo even bother with threatening Matt's mother or Jeremy or anything like that when he could have just put in a standing order like "do whatever I say from now on" and just call Matt up whenever he wanted anything? While he's at it, why not make Matt forget everything Enzo is having him do?

Didn't Enzo kidnap him a few episodes ago?  I assumed he compelled Matt "after the vervain was out of his system" as this show loves to say.  I cannot believe that at some point in the last week Matt wouldn't have tried to get someone involved to help him, at least to protect his mom.

There is no excuse for Germ not doing something though.  As I recall, he cannot be compelled. He went to the trouble of saying Enzo beat the crap out of him.  He couldn't mention he did it to blackmail Matt into something.

Staroline

Iiiieeeeeee!!! Can we not call it that, please? Please please please please please? I know it will take us 3 or 4 more seconds each time to just type out Stefan/Caroline, but please, it's worth it.

• Love 1

<Begin Rant> "You were dealing with Jeremy and I" I wish the Writers Guild of America would institute a mandatory minimum level of grammar proficiency on all its members. Once upon a time if a character spoke ungrammatically you could be fairly sure it was a deliberate choice by the writer. Nowadays it's because the "professional writer" is ignorant of his own language. I don't really expect much, just doing I and me as well as less and fewer correctly would go a long way to make me happy. <End Rant>

Incorrect pronouns drive me crazy too, and there seems to be an exponential increase in mistakes like this on tv the last few years. It makes me wonder about the grammar skills of tv writers these days.