Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: SNL 40th Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

It wasn't?

Well I guess it was.  Its bizarre that they are picking a handful of cast to introduce and say a few words and they don't seem to be doing sketches.  Chevy Chase and Eddie Murphy.

I gave Chase a break because he might break a hip if he did a fall.  But if Eddie doesn't do a skit, it would have been better if he didn't show up.

• Love 2

There really is no overestimating how huge Eddie was when he was a cast member. Whenever his name came on in the opening credits the audience erupted.

All I know about Dick Ebersol is that his son died in a plane crash.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Here's an ode to SNL's sports bits. Jeter and Peyton Manning were great hosts, and so was Michael Jordan. As for athlete hosts, it's pretty much them on the good list. (ETA: Oh yeah, and The Rock)

Edited by Galileo908

If you guys haven't seen the sketch of Peyton Manning mentoring those children, that is a must-watch.

Another good one from the 90s is Stuart (Al Franken) mentoring Michael Jordan, or "Michael J." to protect his anonymity.

Will Ferrell as Harry Caray is one of the best things I've ever seen in my life.  I laughed so hard I almost had a heart attack.  

Galileo, I quite enjoyed LeBron's episode.

There's also Tim Meadows and Ray Romano as Sportscasters --- "Sweet Sassy Molassy!"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Only thing I know about Dick Ebersol is that he's the brother to Broadway star Christine Ebersol.

Ebersol (who I earlier called Eberhard... Sorry Dick) was Exec. Producer when Lorne took a powder in the early 80's, or as Dickens called them "The worst of times".  Also was Mr. Susan St. James.

• Love 2

If that's all that Eddie Murphy does, after waiting for his return for like 3 decades, I'll take it. I don't think there was any disrespect there. Sounds like it wasn't going to be a 10-minute segment at all. Plus it looks like the people in the studio audience got to see more of what Eddie had to say.  Can't blame the show, especially if a joke might get NBC fined or something. We'll see if Murphy even wanted to do as much as a lot of other people

• Love 1

Well, if the sketches are The Californians or the Women's Bowling Hosts, I'd stick with the montages.

It seems like the skits they are using are mostly the ones that include a lot of cast.  Maybe the number of people that have passed are limiting the 70s and 80s. 

I tend to think we'll get a Church Lady because they can have guests.

• Love 1

Aw man I'm glad there was a callback to those ESPN Classic sketches. I weirdly loved those.

Sudeikis and Forte's bits were always the best part. Every time it came back I kept wondering when they'd run out of feminine hygiene products to endorse (they moved on to razors this time)

Dick Ebersol conceived SNL with Lorne and was Executive Producer during Eddie's years.

or at least that's how his bio reads... Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan.  SNL in the early 80's prove that out.

They have Win Butler and Miley Cyrus and they choose Miley to play and have Win introduce Miley? That's a travesty. I don't even have the words.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4