Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The world revolves around morning people. If one is a night person, unable to rise at dawn, cheerfully greeting the day, one is made to feel like a 2 legged sloth, a waster of precious time.

I cannot stand morning people who think their sleep/wake cycle is somehow superior to others.  I have never in my life waltzed into the bedroom of someone who went to sleep earlier than me and demanded to know why they're in bed already, but I've had plenty of people feel free to interrupt my sleep in the morning and ask me why I'm still in bed. 

"Don't you think you should get up?"  Obviously not, since if I thought so, being a fully functional adult, I'd get the fuck up.

"Are you going to sleep all day?"  No, but would it affect you in any way if I did?  No?  Then why do you care?

• Like 7
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm not a morning person either. One of the greatest joys of retiring (2007) was being able to sleep as long as I wanted. The first Monday morning after I retired it was pouring rain. I smiled and rolled over and went back to sleep. No commute in the rain!

I sleep until midmorning (somewhere around 10 am). If I'm still in bed at 11 am, my husband will come in to make sure I'm still breathing. 🤣

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I sleep until midmorning (somewhere around 10 am). If I'm still in bed at 11 am, my husband will come in to make sure I'm still breathing. 🤣

My mother lived in an apartment complex of old people who looked out for one another. They all knew she was a night owl and slept way later than them, who were mostly country/farm people, up with the chickens.  They'd keep an eye on her bedroom window. If the blinds weren't open by 11, they'd come & check on her.

• Like 5

I am a total morning person.  If I'm in bed past 7 am, it's a late morning.  However, I also have all the insomnia, so that plays a part in the not sleeping late, too.  When I was a kid, I wished I could sleep late (and stay up late the night before!) so I wouldn't have to get up and go to church.

• Like 2

Re: Chekov of ST: TOS.  In Picard's final episode (or the penultimate one; I didn't care to remember) they had a Chekov as the Earth President or something - he was supposed to be a descendant of Ensign Pavel Chekov and voiced by Walter Koenig himself, and he mentioned one of his more recent ancestors as Anton Chekov.

Picard was a pointless show. Paramount/CBS should be ashamed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I sleep until midmorning (somewhere around 10 am).

That's when I get up for work (I work from home).  That's pretty close to my natural wake time; on weekends I generally wake up between 10:30-11:30.  Noon is not unheard of, but one recent Sunday I didn't wake up until 2:00 in the afternoon!  That was weird, but, damn, did it feel good -- I'd been awake for a while in the wee hours, but not too long, so between the two chunks of sleep I got about 12 hours of sleep.

• Like 3
On 6/15/2023 at 4:50 AM, annzeepark914 said:

The world revolves around morning people. If one is a night person, unable to rise at dawn, cheerfully greeting the day, one is made to feel like a 2 legged sloth, a waster of precious time. It took many years, but I'm finally immune to these comments. My favorite scene in The Big Chill is when Jeff Goldberg shuffles into the kitchen (probably at mid-morning, everyone else is out jogging in their new sneakers) and asks Glenn Close, "Am I the first one up?" 🥱

I'm an early morning person. Up before dawn most of the year, even now that I'm retired. When I worked, I got in early and left early, escaping the worst of the commute traffic. Blissful peace and quiet (helped a lot during the pandemic when I was working at home)

But there is a downside. Most fun events (theater, concerts, etc) are scheduled, if not before my bedtime, then is still going on at my bedtime.  I loved that Jaime Lee Curtis suggested some of the bands ought to give mid-day performances for us. But I do love the quiet of the morning and being by myself for hours.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Someone who worked about 1970 programming big mainframe computers told me that some programmers started working earlier and earlier, and others worked later and later, until there was someone using the computers at all times.  Then management started requiring everyone to work the same daytime hours.  Productivity quickly dropped by more than half because the computers could not handle all the programmers working at the same time.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3

"Why don't you just pick a stone you LIKE? I always thought the birthstone cult was nonsense. This confirms it."

From episode thread.

I agree it is a manufactured issue. However, it can be used in a caring way. I was born in October and love opals. Anytime someone gives me opals, I know they are giving me a thoughtful gift. I love the gift and the thought that went behind it.

• Like 6

That's great if you love opals. But giving you opals as gifts is no more thoughtful than giving you anything else you particularly like.  My SIL loves kitchen gadgets - you can make her happy getting her a gadget even more than giving her a birthstone piece of jewelry.

I'm not fond of emeralds. If anyone gave me an emerald because I was born in May, I'd be disappointed that they didn't know me better.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I’m not fond of emeralds. If anyone gave me an emerald because I was born in May, I'd be disappointed that they didn't know me better.

I do get your larger point, but if anyone was giving me emeralds because they didn’t know me better, I’d say, please don’t learn any more about me. You have my birthday on your calendar, right? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

The main birthday stone for November is Citrine. I've never liked that stone and it's always reminded me of the colors of pee. Topaz is the alternate gemstone I guess and it comes in other colors l actually like.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

If I was a May or August baby I wouldn't be interested in getting my birthstone since I don't particularly care for green. While I do like my ruby birthstone, I have all sorts of gemstone jewelry, including some pieces that have a mix of different stones.

• Like 1

I'm December and turquoise and I am of the firm belief that all these 'alternate' birthstones came about because people wanted the 'sparkly jewel' type birthstones like emeralds and diamonds. I like turquoise well enough, better than the alternates for December but, my daughters are diamond, emerald and amethyst and it (the turquoise) always looked out of place in a 'mother's ring' or the like. When I was little I don't remember there being any alternate stones for the months.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

When I was little I don't remember there being any alternate stones for the months

Same for me, 1950s-70s.

Mine is sapphire; Mom bought me a star sapphire ring in 1966, which I loved, but it's different. Mom always was a bit of a trailblazer WRT fashion, LOL. 

I don't wear jewelry anymore, and now I've "inherited" a bunch more. 
I guess eventually my kids will have to parse it out. 
Sorry, kids.

• Like 2
(edited)
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Same for me, 1950s-70s.

Mine is sapphire; Mom bought me a star sapphire ring in 1966, which I loved, but it's different. Mom always was a bit of a trailblazer WRT fashion, LOL. 

I don't wear jewelry anymore, and now I've "inherited" a bunch more. 
I guess eventually my kids will have to parse it out. 
Sorry, kids.

Same here, so I wasn't interested in having anything that was turquoise. I do like sparkly gems, not that I have any except for a small emerald in my wedding ring. There are non-sparkly types that are interesting enough that I like them. But for some reason, turquoise never appealed to me. Might very well be that most of the time I saw it in jewelry, it was in large settings and I am a small person and prefer dainty settings.

I like jewelry, but don't really go anyplace that merits fancy jewelry. So I can ooh and ahh (as I did recently while getting my ring resized), but don't feel the desire for any thing expensive. When I was in my 20s, I inherited a diamond "forever" ring from a survivor of the great SF earthquake, but although it's value is in the low four figures, jewelers would only give me a third of the valuation. Forget that. So I gave it to my mom, who didn't have any jewels, and then inherited again. I guess my girls will inherit and not know what to do with it. They're not really jewelry people either.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3

I pay as much attention to what my birthstone is as I do to what my astrological sign is, which is to say none.  I just buy jewelry with the many different gems I like.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

From the main thread:

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Just a head's up: I have not read Kipling's The Jungle Book, but the opinion that it is not racist is not a universal one. 
Two examples of this opinion:
https://mediadiversified.org/2016/04/29/the-new-jungle-book-tries-to-bypass-racism-by-erasing-identities-altogether/
https://gizmodo.com/reminder-rudyard-kipling-was-a-racist-fuck-and-the-jun-1771044121
BTW: does anyone know a quick way to do a search for this book, and screen out articles about the Disney movies based on it? I tried a few different ways, but apparently the world cares more about Disney than Kipling. The articles I linked do discuss the book, but to find them I had to shovel through a load of Disney-talk.

Here's the Google Scholar search for:
      Kipling "Jungle Book" racism
scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C33&q=Kipling+"Jungle+Book"+racism

The links on the right are to full text of the articles.
The others require more librarian-foo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was recently looking for something to watch on Netflix and came across As They Made Us written, produced and directed by Mayim Bialik. The catch phrase was “If you don’t laugh, you’ll cry”. Well I did neither. She was able to procure two decent stars for it. Candace Bergen and Dustin Hoffman for the parents. I found it depressing and a bit lackluster. I’m wondering if it’s a disguised semi-autobiography. Anyone else? 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m wondering if it’s a disguised semi-autobiography. Anyone else? 

I’ve never heard of this movie, but you got me curious enough to look it up. 81% on Rotten Tomatoes! (although Chicago Sun-Times called it “dour”) And yes, it is based on Mayim’s own family experiences, according to this article: https://sjmagazine.net/may-2022/mayim-bialik#:~:text=For Bialik%2C exploring relationships and,on her own family experiences.

But I think that’s as close as I’m going to get to the movie. I have enough family issues of my own; I don’t need to watch Mayim’s.

• Like 4

I've heard nothing but good things about it since it came out, but even though it sounds like my kind of indie film, I haven't put it on my watch list yet despite my love of Candice Bergen because I have a hard time watching Dustin Hoffman ever since I learned of his various asshole moves.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw this on FB and thought about our perpetual complaints about "Women Authors"

man editor.jpg

Doubly wrong because I'd bet it would've been "male editor," not "Man."

And I have said "male nurse" when it was a handy way to describe a particular nurse in a large, busy hospital.

• Like 2
On 6/18/2022 at 7:20 PM, zoey1996 said:

We should be moved (not settled) in Kansas by mid-August. If I can’t visit by Sept. 5 when they close, I’ll go next year. It’s about 3 1/2 hours from Ellsworth.

Road trip! Mr. Zoey and I are road tripping from Ellsworth, to Concordia Kansas for the Orphan Train Museum. Second stop is at Harold Warp's Pioneer Museum at Minden, Nebraska. We're planning on Carhenge in Alliance before heading to the Kit Carson County Carousel an Museum at Burlington, Colorado. We'll probably stop at a couple more museums before going home. It turns out the county fair will be going on while we're in Kit Carson County. Hope it's fun but not crowded. We're doing OK but we both have some mobility issues and tire easily. I just turned 72 but sometimes I feel closer to 80!

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 1

I came over here to say (referring to a conversation in the Season 39 thread regarding pronunciation of towns) that my Sunday School teachers always pronounced "Canaan" as "CUH-nahn". I never heard "CAYnin" until well into adulthood.

I did not live in any location named "Canaan" but, because of this experience, I am acutely aware that you never know how the locals speak until you hear them....

• Like 3

I'd never heard of Lima, NY so I just looked it up. It's over in the western part of the state, near the Finger Lakes. They changed the original name, Town of Charleston, to Lima in recognition of many residents who had moved there from Old Lyme, CT (thus the "lime" in its  pronunciation). Who knew? I sure didn't 😁.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Two guys from the North were driving down I-75 in Georgia when they decided they needed a break. The next exit was Vienna, so they got off the Interstate and found a place to get milk shakes.  They started arguing about how to pronounce the town - veeENNA or VYEenna. As they're ordering their shakes, they ask the woman behind the counter, "How do you pronounce this place?" and very slowly, she replied, "DAY-ree Queen."

Ed. note: it's VYEenna.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

I currently live in Greece, across the road from the "neighborhood" of Charlotte (shar-LOT) in Rochester NY:

...located along the western bank of the mouth of the Genesee River along the southern shore of Lake Ontario. It is the home of the Port of Rochester....
wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte,_Rochester,_New_York

And I just found this: 

Older Rochester residents don't pronounce the 'r' -
sha-LOT
https://rocwiki.org/Local_Pronunciations#fndef-2283da03e016ca9ff0308838bef85cf086c30a36-1

But I've yet to hear that pronunciation.

20 miles south there's the Rochester neighborhood of Chili, pronounced: CHAI-lai

On Reddit there's a discussion about the Inland North America Vowel Shift (reddit.com/r/Rochester/comments/7318s5/til_how_to_know_someone_is_from_rochester/   see also:  wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English#Northern_Cities_Vowel_Shift).

I might read it later.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Whenever I start to roll my eyes at unusual pronunciations, I have to remind myself of "Ner-ashell" (New Rochelle, a city in Westchester County outside NYC) and "Mare- ahlin (Maryland...I once heard a Canadian pronounce it just the way it's spelled). Almost forgot "Poe-KIP-see"(Poughkeepsie). 

And then there's the story about a man who made a pit stop at an eatery in Saxapahaw, NC. Sitting at the counter, he asked the waitress, "How do you pronounce the name of this place?"  She leaned down, and slowly said, "Taste...ee...Freeze" (with a real deal Carolina accent!)

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Two guys from the North were driving down I-75 in Georgia when they decided they needed a break. The next exit was Vienna, so they got off the Interstate and found a place to get milk shakes.  They started arguing about how to pronounce the town - veeENNA or VYEenna. As they're ordering their shakes, they ask the woman behind the counter, "How do you pronounce this place?" and very slowly, she replied, "DAY-ree Queen."

Ed. note: it's VYEenna.

Hah! I didn't see your tourist tale before I posted mine. Good one! When I lived in Raleigh, I went fishing off Morehead City with some Wilson County folks. They brought along their traditional cans of VY-enna (Vienna) sausage, a box of saltines, and bottles of Pepsi (*never* Coke). I saw some strange fish too (a Robinfish that looks like a robin with fins!)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I currently live in Greece, across the road from the "neighborhood" of Charlotte (shar-LOT) in Rochester NY:

And I just found this: 

But I've yet to hear that pronunciation.

20 miles south there's the Rochester neighborhood of Chili, pronounced: CHAI-lai

On Reddit there's a discussion about the Inland North America Vowel Shift (reddit.com/r/Rochester/comments/7318s5/til_how_to_know_someone_is_from_rochester/   see also:  wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English#Northern_Cities_Vowel_Shift).

I might read it later.

Older Rochester area resident here, and it’s Sha Lot to me. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, GrannySmith said:

Older Rochester area resident here, and it’s Sha Lot to me. 

Cool! 😎 
Do you frequently hear others say Sha-LOT instead of Shar-LOT?

And can you recommend a plumber and a local HVAC person?

Edited by shapeshifter
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Cool! 😎 
Do you frequently hear others say Sha-LOT instead of Shar-LOT?

And can you recommend a plumber and a local HVAC person?

I’m in Canandaigua, and Charlotte St. here is pronounced Sha Lot by just about everybody. We had good luck with AP Plumbing when a pipe burst last year. 

• Thanks 1

This is about one of Jeopardy!'s hosts, but isn't about the show itself, so I'm putting it in Small Talk. Mayim Bialik posted a video to You Tube about unplugging from, quite literally, everything for two weeks. It's not a terrible idea, although she may have taken it to an extreme. (I'd most likely still have watched a movie or a TV show, but I totally agree about a break from the news. I also would still have used GPS.) She doesn't mention Jeopardy! at all. Not talking to her mother for two weeks probably has less to do with unplugging and more to do with their relationship, though! I'm embedding the video (12:05) here for anyone who might have an interest. 

I'm pretty unplugged already - I don't use social media, I don't have a smartphone, most people don't have my cell phone number and I go long stretches of time without checking it, I don't look at work emails outside of business hours - but I relate to the ongoing conflict regarding the news; I want to know what's going on, but I get infuriated by it every day.

• Like 3

No social media for me, either. I stopped watching the news because it was too enraging, and Colbert and Seth Meyers because the laughter was not enough to dispel the anger and feeling of hopelessness.

• Hugs 4