Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I noticed when my son-in-law went along to look at a house with me, the realtor took his concerns about the property more seriously than mine, and even said that was one property he’d recommend getting an inspection for.

Even now? Sheesh. I remember when my first husband and I were looking for our first home back in 77, our realtor (who happened to be our current landlord and a friend) was selling more to my husband than me (showing me the "pretty" and not the structural stuff), when I was the one who was the tough sell, and far more detail oriented. I was pretty ticked off, but also found it funny because his tactics showed no ability to read the room, as it were.

Also because being underestimated can be a superpower, if you use it right.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And even people who are in the business don’t know a lot; there’s just too many variations to know it all. I guess that’s why location is still key.

I noticed when my son-in-law went along to look at a house with me, the realtor took his concerns about the property more seriously than mine, and even said that was one property he’d recommend getting an inspection for.

Knowledge really does depend on the person, and how dedicated they are to their profession. (I wouldn’t put part-timers in that group.) My former neighbor was a realtor, and his knowledge about the area and market trends was quite impressive. Around here, a lot of realtors have blogs where they discuss such things, and that can also give you an idea of who knows their stuff. 

As to your second statement… that is so annoying. I usually take the lead on hiring contractors, etc, with my husband standing by. When they start ignoring me and talking to him, even though I’m the one who set up the appointment and asked all the questions, I will see my husband give a small smile because he knows I’ve just crossed them off my list. 

• Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I usually take the lead on hiring contractors, etc, with my husband standing by. When they start ignoring me and talking to him, even though I’m the one who set up the appointment and asked all the questions, I will see my husband give a small smile because he knows I’ve just crossed them off my list. 

My dad happened to be over at my house when a potential plaster contractor called me "Honey".  If a popcorn-munching emoji came to life, it would look exactly like my dad did in that moment.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 7

One of the car dealerships I looked at when I bought my most recent car a couple of years ago didn't take me seriously.  I mean, I walked in, told them exactly what I wanted, asked if they could get it for me, and their reply was, "Oh, gee, I don't know.  That color's pretty rare."  I said, "Wrong answer!" and walked out.  I had another dealer who was farther away, but who also said, "Absolutely!  Just give me two weeks."

I went back later, with my new car, and explained to the sales manager why I did not purchase my car from them.  The fun part was that this was not the first time they apparently didn't want to sell me a car.

So, yes, that sexist bullshit is still going on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 5

It's been a while, but some years ago I went to a locally owned hardware store to get a snow blower as a surprise for my husband (I shoveled snow too, so part was for me). The clerk (owner?) told me to come back with my husband. Needless to say, I bought the snow blower somewhere else.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

When my grandpa died, I took charge of clearing out his garage, which included a lot of tools.  My parents already have pretty much every tool that exists, so I filled in gaps in my collection and then sold the rest.  It raised my spirits that, while most of the middle-aged and older men who came to buy something assumed I was revenge selling my ex-husband's tools, there was a lot less of that with the guys in their twenties; many if not most of them either didn't say anything or figured they were mine.  (And, of course, the female buyers were happy to be dealing with another woman.)  Progress, at least.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

Many years ago I visited friends who had recently moved into a house that was round and made of granite (really!). One of them answered the phone, to a salesman selling aluminum siding.  She explained that the house was round and made of granite, but he didn't believe her and she hung up on him.  Then she turned to us with an evil grin and said, "If that happens again, I'll let them come give us an estimate."

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Where to begin? On Tuesday, Mr. Zoey and I were getting ready for our first visit with a local doctor, when Mr. Z fell and couldn't get up. We called EMS. They got him up and in a chair, checked vitals, etc. Checked his blood sugar, and it was very high. They transported him to the ER, I followed in our car. The hospital/ER is only four blocks away. He was admitted to the hospital and spent the last three nights there. 

I am leaving for England next Wednesday, with a couple of days in Williamsburg VA to visit friends, etc. The plan had been to have home health care visits and he would stay at home while I was gone. Since the fall, we decided to have him stay in a care facility. So arrangements are being made.

I'm having mixed feelings about all of this. I'm really excited to be spending Christmas with my daughter and her family, while at the same time feeling sad that Mr. Z will be in a home over the holidays. He wasn't happy that I was going to be away in the first place. He and my daughter have never really gotten along. I wish they would grow up and realize that my love for one doesn't diminish or take away from my love for the other.

• Hugs 11

I’m so sorry, Zoey. This is a terrible situation and your conflicted feelings are very understandable. In the end, you have to do what’s right for you, because nobody can ever make everyone happy in a situation like this. All you can do is love them the best you can and trust that’s enough. 

Virtual hugs and best wishes for a wonderful trip.

• Love 6

Best wishes and safe travels to @Browncoat & @zoey1996 - having visited Miami, Costa Rica, Williamsburg and England at various times of my life, I wish you both the grandest of experiences. 

Zoey - I feel the stress from here.  As someone else said, you are in a situation where you cannot please everyone but have to do the best you can for all but always remember that includes YOU getting your share of the best (I realize that my saying that is the easy part, you living it is the hard part),  Please take care of yourself and give my love to the Burg. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I arrived in Williamsburg yesterday evening. I’m meeting friends for lunch at the Williamsburg Winery. Tomorrow my friend and I are going to Christmastown at Busch Gardens. I leave for England Saturday. It was a stressful few days before this point, but I’m still standing! 
I did get a very cherry chip blizzard in Salina. I’m with @saber5055, it was so good! 
Thanks for all the thoughts sent my way! My best wishes for good holidays for all y’all! I’ll post when I’m back!

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

From J Archive's Twitter:

"J! Archive@JArchive 1h

Holy grail dropped https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?g

ETA: since above link isn't working:

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7558

-I don't remember this controversy even though I was around at the time. Apparently this contestant Barbara Lowe lied about competing on other game shows under different names. She was banned and they tried to keep her winnings from her but she sued. Her games have never been re-run. This was back in Season 2, 1986

Edited by dgpolo
ETA link
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2

I do remember a contestant from long ago who won a couple of games, then was gone and was never mentioned.  I guess that was her.  IIRC, she was also rather rude and condescending to the other contestants.

The link above just shows the Archive page with Error no game requested, doesn't give any info.

Edited by Trey
Correct info.
9 hours ago, Trey said:

That link worked.

Here's a link to a youtube piece on her:

Barbara Lowe

I haven't watched it yet, don't know how good it is.

In a word: Boring.
Also maybe a little misogynist. 
Most of the video discusses how overly enthusiastic "Barbara Lowe" was on the show.
The video (by user "BrayBray") is 27 minutes long, but so repetitive that you could easily start watching (or just listen) at the 12 minute mark and not miss anything. 

Apparently "Barbara Lowe's" actual punishable action was having used a false identity to skirt the ABC game show rule that "ABC's compliance and practices require one contestant to compete in no more than two game shows over a span of five years." Initially they were going to rescind her 5-day winnings of over $30K, but she hired a lawyer, so they decided instead to just ban her from that year's (1986) TOC and never show reruns of her appearances ("BrayBray" youtu.be/v32g_630J9w?t=1253).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for taking one for the team; I made it about six minutes into that video before I gave up because in six minutes I had not yet been given a single piece of information about the purported subject of the video.  I'm sure BrayBray has plenty of time, down there in his parents' basement, but I don't.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

Does anyone else catch themselves saying “MYzeld” every time you see or hear “misled?” 

Ever since Amy’s confession, her pronunciation keeps trying to assert dominance in my head.  

It’s like the time I read a Bloggess post in which she declared that the plural of fox should be “foxen” and now in my head it is.

Yes, English is my first language….

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
15 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

When the reordering first happened the icon in the bottom right of each post was so pale on my Android I thought they had disabled the reactions. Now it is dark enough to be visible.

I use a dark theme because it's better on my eyes, so I could see it - but then I didn't look at it last night, maybe it wouldn't have been as visible to me then. But if it was white on standard theme, then I can see (or can't as it were) how that might have been difficult. It still threw me for a bit.

They're clearly doing some work, since they announced a downtime for Monday. We'll see how it all turns out. I like this change, at least.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

They're clearly doing some work, since they announced a downtime for Monday. We'll see how it all turns out.

Re: the downtime---This is the part that scares me: "will include a brand new default theme + some other new snazzy features". What "snazzy features" could they be adding (which, of course, we will probably hate and were not necessary to add)?

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, illdoc said:

Re: the downtime---This is the part that scares me: "will include a brand new default theme + some other new snazzy features". What "snazzy features" could they be adding (which, of course, we will probably hate and were not necessary to add)?

Well, of course sometimes those snazzy new features aren't stuff many of us particularly like.

However, I've liked the extended reaction icons (which could be considered snazzy). I think there are a few other features over the years that I've liked (and disliked). In particular the dark mode (an accessibility improvement which works best for my eyes)

As former website manager, I know that some of this stuff just has to be done in order to have the site continue to work on current systems. Some stuff improves the phone interfaces, some the computer interfaces, and some the accessibility interfaces. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 12/16/2022 at 1:31 PM, illdoc said:

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As former website manager, I know that some of this stuff just has to be done in order to have the site continue to work on current systems. Some stuff improves the phone interfaces, some the computer interfaces, and some the accessibility interfaces. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

And fingers crossed🤞 they actually did evaluate the beta testing and UX (user experience) testing, although, heh, some of that live User Experience testing is going to be done by us Users on Tuesday.😉

IIRC, there may have been some things that didn't work as expected in the last big roll out, so then there was another, briefer shutdown while they fixed it.

On the positive side: 
This seems to be right in the sweet spot for PrimeTimer to be doing the upgrades since the Windows and Apple updates happened about a month or so ago.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

When I worked for a law firm, they had a woman write a program for all the secretaries to be able to edit their own billing. I was the sole person in the Data Processing Department, so Mary installed the program for me to test. She gave me explicit instructions on how to input data and edit the billing, which I promptly ignored. I found a bunch of things that didn't work properly.  She said, "Well, THAT'S not how you're supposed to do it!" and I asked her if she thought (named contrarian secretary) is going to follow instructions. I reminded her the point of testing is to TRY to break it, so that when someone does break it accidentally, it won't screw up everything and will be easily fixable.  She still thought I was being difficult.  She didn't last long as a programmer.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 12/16/2022 at 10:31 AM, illdoc said:

(which, of course, we will probably hate and were not necessary to add)?

They usually annoy me at first, then I get used to them, and then pretty soon I can't even remember how it was done before the change.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I worked for a law firm, they had a woman write a program for all the secretaries to be able to edit their own billing. I was the sole person in the Data Processing Department, so Mary installed the program for me to test. She gave me explicit instructions on how to input data and edit the billing, which I promptly ignored. I found a bunch of things that didn't work properly.  She said, "Well, THAT'S not how you're supposed to do it!" and I asked her if she thought (named contrarian secretary) is going to follow instructions. I reminded her the point of testing is to TRY to break it, so that when someone does break it accidentally, it won't screw up everything and will be easily fixable.  She still thought I was being difficult.  She didn't last long as a programmer.

One of my favorite jobs was a temporary position where I evaluated (ie tested) training for a major tech company. I had such fun working through all the steps and giving my "expert" opinions. The people who wrote the training weren't particular thrilled with me (I found out later) even though I went out of my way to be nice in my comments and offering suggestions on fixes. But then, no one, not even me, likes an edit at first.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
55 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

One of my favorite jobs was a temporary position where I evaluated (ie tested) training for a major tech company. I had such fun working through all the steps and giving my "expert" opinions. The people who wrote the training weren't particular thrilled with me (I found out later) even though I went out of my way to be nice in my comments and offering suggestions on fixes. But then, no one, not even me, likes an edit at first.

I applaud you for trying to make the comments not sting. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
54 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I applaud you for trying to make the comments not sting. 

I've been edited my fair share, and as a result try to be nice - and useful - when doing it myself.

27 minutes ago, Driad said:

A fellow editor sometimes wrote the comment "Awk." If someone asked, he said it meant the phrasing was a bit awkward.  But he confided once that it really meant "Awk!"

I had one editor in a science company write "Wow!" with absolutely no explanation. It wasn't helpful to say the least.

One colleague made a great edit when I used the phrase "execute the program" and he wrote "hanging? electrocution? firing squad?" It was hilarious and made the point. That's an edit I'll never forget.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

One colleague made a great edit when I used the phrase "execute the program" and he wrote "hanging? electrocution? firing squad?" It was hilarious and made the point. That's an edit I'll never forget.

Humor can be an incredibly effective means to get someone to see something from another perspective. 
I think our default reaction to criticism tends to be negative——perhaps due to some inherited survivalist mode that keeps people from going along with dumb ideas.
But I always appreciate someone who can redirect an argument with a joke that both sides can laugh about.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

The end of January I will be going to a town in Darkest Iowa that has a Trader Joe's. It's the only TJ's I've ever seen, and I plan to stop after my appointments. Is there something there that is a Must Buy that I need to look for and put in my basket? Note that I love everything so am easy.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The end of January I will be going to a town in Darkest Iowa that has a Trader Joe's. It's the only TJ's I've ever seen, and I plan to stop after my appointments. Is there something there that is a Must Buy that I need to look for and put in my basket? Note that I love everything so am easy.

I need a TJ’s near me!

I’m in England now! More when I have the chance! 

• Like 5
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My favorite thing (I'm too lazy to go 25 miles, a friend isn't and gives me this as my Christmas present every year) is Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe-Joe's Cookies. I always say that they're what Girl Scout Thin Mints want to be when they grow up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/18/2022 at 1:31 PM, saber5055 said:

. Is there something there that is a Must Buy that I need to look for and put in my basket?

I haven't gone to TJ's in the 2 years I've been in Rochester. It's 20 minutes away in the wrong direction from my Lambchop (grandbaby) who is also 30 miles away. 
The one thing I really miss is their whole-grain sourdough bread.

ETA:   
Maybe neither the Rochester NY TJ’s nor the “town in Darkest Iowa” would have whole-grain sourdough bread?

When I moved to Chicagoland from Northern California in 2001, my homesickness for California was exacerbated by the suburban Illinois Trader Joe’s not carrying many of the items I was accustomed to. Even simple things, like chamomile tea.

Over the next 20 years the Chicago area Trader Joe’s did become more like what I had known in Cali, but Sacramento TJ’s flour tortillas were uniquely amazing.

Edited by shapeshifter
Details
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am home, and mostly rested from my adventures in Costa Rica and Panama!  Tuesday, the travel home day, was the worst.  I had scheduled a layover in Miami of just over two hours, but then my flight was delayed by an hour!  I only just made the connection, and only because I have Global Entry and they held the flight for 10 minutes.  It took nearly an hour after I boarded for my heart rate to return to normal after quick-fast walking through the airport (I really can't run anymore!).  So that, of course, made us arrive a little later than expected to Charlotte, and then I had trouble with the parking gate.  I'd prepaid, so I had a QR code, but for some reason the gate did not want to accept it, so that took extra time.  The 2.5 hour drive home was brutal.  I was mostly fine until I got within about 30 miles of home, and by that time, I'm in the middle of nowhere with no place to stop if I'd wanted to.  So I opened the window a crack and put on tunes to sing along with, and made it.  I only unpacked my toothbrush that night (morning?) and left all the rest until yesterday and today.

Other than that, the trip was great.  I hadn't expected to be quite so fascinated by the Panama Canal as I was.  I even managed a couple of time-lapse videos of us going through the locks.  And of course, all the nature we saw in both countries was really good!  At one point, we were surrounded by unhappy capuchin monkeys -- they were baring their teeth at us and generally being defensive/threatening.  It reminded me of the scene in the second Hunger Games movie!  

We did have an incident the very first day, though.  It started pouring the rain, and a tree fell on one of the groups out hiking.  A guest and two of the ship's staff were injured (the guest fairly seriously, but she'll be okay), and a local guide died from his injuries.  It kind of put a pall on the rest of the trip -- the staff all knew the local guide, of course, and some of them struggled to keep it together.  I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd cancelled the rest, but they did an amazing job of carrying on.  Another guest suggested we make donations for the guide's family, and the staff made that happen.  Other than that one rainstorm, we had perfect weather -- hot and steamy, but that's to be expected in the tropics!  It was hard to come back to freezing rain!  I haven't gotten warm yet!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Well, today was interesting. I was having trouble walking, and fell when getting up to go to the bathroom. DD called her GP, and they had us call A&E. Several hours later, I was sent home with Tamiflu due to a flu A diagnosis. Thank God for DD and DSIL!

On 12/18/2022 at 6:31 PM, saber5055 said:
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 7

At 7 AM today, it was 7°F in Metro Atlanta.  I am proud to announce my pipes did not freeze, although pipes in the complex's laundry room did. They're in the ceiling, with no unit above, so the entire ceiling has collapsed and the room is flooded. Management got a plumber out right away, but the fire department got here first and turned off the water to ALL four buildings.

Just then was when I awoke from my nap, and panicked that I had no water.  Just as I was fiddling with the faucets, the water came back on, albeit brown. We always get brown, gritty water when the supply is turned off for whatever reason. I've pretty much flushed the pipes of the brown water and have left all the spigots trickling again. It won't be until Wednesday that the overnight temps are over 32°.  Meanwhile, I'm running a load of no laundry just to purge the brown water from the washer.

Stella and I are keeping warm; we're good.  MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY ALL THE OTHER HOLIDAYS, even the ones I don't know of, to everybody, whether you indulge in celebration or not. Have a great weekend!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 5