Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Interesting, because I am also from New York and I pronounce all of the ma/erries identically.

Thanks for that, @30 Helens .

Western New York and just barely a boomer:

Pop is pop. Wegman's says so.

Don and Dawn (also on and gone) and pen and bin do not sound the same. Been and bin, though, do sound the same unless you're over the border and trying to sound like a local. There is no distinction between Barry and Berry. I can hear the hw when it's used but it's rarely used.

• Wink 1

I could swear that we've discussed the "wh is pronounced hw" thing before, but I may be thinking of another message board.

I can recall being explicitly taught, in elementary school back in the 1970s, that the digraph "wh" was to be pronounced "hw."

I no longer comply with that instruction (if, indeed, I ever did).  "Whine" and "wine" are perfect homophones for me, as are "weather" and "whether" or "Wales" and "whales" or "which" and "witch."

• Like 5
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I could swear that we've discussed the "wh is pronounced hw" thing before, but I may be thinking of another message board.

I can recall being explicitly taught, in elementary school back in the 1970s, that the digraph "wh" was to be pronounced "hw."

I no longer comply with that instruction (if, indeed, I ever did).  "Whine" and "wine" are perfect homophones for me, as are "weather" and "whether" or "Wales" and "whales" or "which" and "witch."

LOL, I think we did discuss this before and I'm sure I joined in.  I also remember that from elementary school.  To be honest, I really don't notice one way or the other unless the pronunciation is pointed out - like someone makes fun of a speaker who pronounces the "wh", or a Jeopardy! clue depends on "y"/"why" being homophones.  I couldn't even tell you how anyone else in my family says it, and I never noticed one way or the other when J! contestants make their response in the form of a question.  I'm probably just hearing the "wh" because I'm picturing the word.

• Like 2

Yes, we did discuss the hw in where, when, a hwile back. I'm sure I mentioned my mom (who took an elocution class at her NYC high school). We could always hear her pronounce the "h".  And I remember our discussion about Don/Dawn. We New Yorkers who lived closer to the city pronounced Dawn very differently from Don 😁.

• Like 1
  • Wink 2

Yes, I'm quite sure that I remember telling you all about a guy I knew in college who pronounced "hw" very distinctly, and (because he was interested in marine life) was always talking about sperm hwales.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Interesting, because I am also from New York and I pronounce all of the ma/erries identically.

Here’s an article I found that explores a variety of national linguistic differences: https://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6

Marry/Mary/Merry is represented; sadly Don/Dawn is not— although I’m guessing it tracks alongside “crayon”. It just goes to show how much depends on where you grew up— or, possibly, where your favorite English teacher grew up.

I, apparently, grew up just east of the “pop” line. And although I’ve now lived most of my life in Texas, I’ve never been able to say “y’all” unironically.

I grew up all over, so I don't have the accent of a particular region. Oddly, I never picked up my father's southern accent even though as a kid I'd pick up any random accent I was around. I used to get in trouble for that - people would think I was mocking them but it was completely involuntary.

But I can, and do, say y'all with great comfort. As well as some things in my mother's very specific regional Austrian accent. (was a hit with the relatives when I recently visited them after 40 years)

• Like 3
6 hours ago, ABay said:

Don and Dawn (also on and gone) and pen and bin do not sound the same. Been and bin, though, do sound the same unless you're over the border and trying to sound like a local. There is no distinction between Barry and Berry. 

3/4. 😉

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm probably just hearing the "wh" because I'm picturing the word.

I do think this is a big part of it - at least for me. I feel like I pronounce wine and whine differently, for example, but if I ask somebody else, they don't think so. I think I only feel that way because I am picturing the word in my head.

I have a coworker named Gillian, who often goes by Gill. Someone mentioned to me that "Gill" was coming back and I was like "who is Jill?! I have no idea who you are talking about??" and it was because in my head they are two totally different names, and I was picturing it with a J in my head.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 3/21/2023 at 10:22 PM, secnarf said:

I have a coworker named Gillian, who often goes by Gill. Someone mentioned to me that "Gill" was coming back and I was like "who is Jill?! I have no idea who you are talking about??" and it was because in my head they are two totally different names, and I was picturing it with a J in my head.

Do any Gillian's pronounce their name with a strong "g"? I've always been confused re: this name (also, Geoffrey 🙄

I think Gillian Flynn who wrote Gone Girl uses the hard G, so gil like a fish. As opposed to Gillian Anderson g like a j. Geoffrey is Jeffrey.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
26 minutes ago, ABay said:

I think Gillian Flynn who wrote Gone Girl uses the hard G, so gil like a fish. As opposed to Gillian Anderson g like a j.

Gillian Welch and Gillian Jacobs use the hard G pronunciation as well.

(And, yeah, Gillian Anderson uses the more common soft G -- "like jam, not gun" as she said.)

• Useful 1

Changing the subject, I just heard about the explosion and destruction of the Palmer candy factory in West Reading, PA. So far, two dead. Thinking about the human loss, plus loss of business during Easter candy season. So sad.

• Sad 7
On 3/21/2023 at 9:22 PM, secnarf said:

I do think this is a big part of it - at least for me. I feel like I pronounce wine and whine differently, for example, but if I ask somebody else, they don't think so. I think I only feel that way because I am picturing the word in my head.

I see words in my head, too, so I can relate. Sometimes they just don’t match up to the audio.

• Like 1

@Baltimore Betty We are taking a few weeks to drive through northern Italy, Croatia, and Austria. We were also going to do Switzerland, but then an old friend wanted to meet up, so we deducted those days for a mini reunion. 
   Lucky for us we have friends over there. One was kind enough to loan us a vehicle. That’s saving us thousands. There will also be stops to have meals with some cousins, see some sights, and of course eat very well. 
   I have always wanted to do a river cruise. Did you enjoy yours? Even though I’ve driven through France and some wine regions, I’ve seen one cruise that looks like a wine connoisseur’s delight. It looks more relaxed than driving. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Baltimore Betty We are taking a few weeks to drive through northern Italy, Croatia, and Austria. We were also going to do Switzerland, but then an old friend wanted to meet up, so we deducted those days for a mini reunion. 
   Lucky for us we have friends over there. One was kind enough to loan us a vehicle. That’s saving us thousands. There will also be stops to have meals with some cousins, see some sights, and of course eat very well. 
   I have always wanted to do a river cruise. Did you enjoy yours? Even though I’ve driven through France and some wine regions, I’ve seen one cruise that looks like a wine connoisseur’s delight. It looks more relaxed than driving. 

I have taken 4 river cruises and one ocean cruise, each one was sublime. They have great options for additional tours, the food is really good on board and the rooms are comfy and well appointed.  I am envious of your road trip, when I was married the first time we flew to Paris, rented a car and drove thru the Loire Valley to visit chateau's.  You will have a fantastic trip, you have locals to tell you the good stuff to see and do. Bon Voyage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That sounds lovely! We were in Salzburg last April and stayed with cousins who drove us all around. I love the surrounding area even more than the city itself. It was a wonderful reunion and I was thrilled to be back in my adopted hometown (I was supposed to be born there, but history got in the way).

I just got an pamphlet for a river cruise today. They're the only cruises that have ever interested me. Though when they advertise "foreign airfair included" it makes me think they're hella expensive.

• Like 1

For those who watch the show through alternative means, does anyone know why there are random close ups of a quarter of the screen on some feeds? Or why Final sounds different than the rest of the show on some feeds?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ABay said:

For those who watch the show through alternative means, does anyone know why there are random close ups of a quarter of the screen on some feeds? Or why Final sounds different than the rest of the show on some feeds?

Probably a way to try avoid detection by automation over there.

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, ABay said:

Videos on the tube of you of otherwise un-streamable old shows (e.g. Quincy ME) are like that too. Almost unwatchable. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, ABay said:

We've had that problem. We selected a different uploader in YouTube, who has sound issues in Final Jeopardy, but otherwise the screen is good.

• Like 2

I'm looking for the dog expert that frequents the Jeopardy forum. I apologize for not remembering who that is!!

The show "Animal Control" did a story in the current episode, about a dog they said was a bull mastiff, but which I really didn't think looked like one. 

I want an expert opinion! 

I am not even sur how I can show the scene to anyone, but it's driving me nuts.

(edited)
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm looking for the dog expert that frequents the Jeopardy forum. I apologize for not remembering who that is!!

The show "Animal Control" did a story in the current episode, about a dog they said was a bull mastiff, but which I really didn't think looked like one. 

That would be @saber5055, who, unfortunately can't post in the forum anymore (technical issues that don't seem to be getting resolved). But I can send the question to her and see if she's seen the episode. BTW, I didn't think it looked like a bull mastiff either, but I'm not expert.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That would be @saber5055, who, unfortunately can't post in the forum anymore (technical issues that don't seem to be getting resolved). But I can send the question to her and see if she's seen the episode. BTW, I didn't think it looked like a bull mastiff either, but I'm not expert.

Thank you so much, both for the networking and the 2nd opinion!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

As info, "Animal Control" is also streaming on Hulu.

• Useful 1

@possibilities, here is Saber's response:

"I've never watched Animal Control but found the recap of that episode online. The recap says the dog is a Mastiff, which is different from a Bullmastiff. The Mastiff is much bigger, lots of wrinkles on its baggy face. The Bullmastiff is a "tighter" dog, smooth head with short muzzle, and about the size of a big Boxer, just more bulky. The Mastiff weighs around 200 lbs. while the Bullmastiff is around 100 lbs. Not sure if anyone has a screen capture from the episode.

it's also very possible that the show used some "any dog" and called it a Mastiff. I've had friends who had dogs listed in talent agencies to do tv shows and movies, and the agencies didn't want the dogs groomed like show dogs. The show might have picked a "big generic dog" and called it a Mastiff."

I think it definitely wasn't a Mastiff, I've seen one of those up close (caged next to the rat terrier we adopted - it was a hilarious comparison)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
10 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

@possibilities, here is Saber's response:

"I've never watched Animal Control but found the recap of that episode online. The recap says the dog is a Mastiff, which is different from a Bullmastiff. The Mastiff is much bigger, lots of wrinkles on its baggy face. The Bullmastiff is a "tighter" dog, smooth head with short muzzle, and about the size of a big Boxer, just more bulky. The Mastiff weighs around 200 lbs. while the Bullmastiff is around 100 lbs. Not sure if anyone has a screen capture from the episode.

it's also very possible that the show used some "any dog" and called it a Mastiff. I've had friends who had dogs listed in talent agencies to do tv shows and movies, and the agencies didn't want the dogs groomed like show dogs. The show might have picked a "big generic dog" and called it a Mastiff."

I think it definitely wasn't a Mastiff, I've seen one of those up close (caged next to the rat terrier we adopted - it was a hilarious comparison)

Even though I had no interest in the initial question, that was an interesting and fun read!
Thanks for sharing, @Clanstarling, and please give our regards to @saber5055 too!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Scroll down this page for a screencap of the dog. https://seat42f.com/animal-control-season-1-episode-8/

Definitely looks like the Bullmastiff Saber described :

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The Bullmastiff is a "tighter" dog, smooth head with short muzzle, and about the size of a big Boxer, just more bulky. The Mastiff weighs around 200 lbs. while the Bullmastiff is around 100 lbs.

Having not watched Animal Control, but having watched a lot of Law & Order, it looks like the poor Bullmastiff is headed to jail.

AC108_SH0217_f-1365x2048.jpg

ANIMAL-CONTROL-Season-1-Episode-8-Photo-Hellhounds-And-Sturgeons-003-1365x2048.jpg

• Like 1
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

Scroll down this page for a screencap of the dog. 

https://seat42f.com/animal-control-season-1-episode-8/

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Definitely looks like the Bullmastiff Saber described :

Having not watched Animal Control, but having watched a lot of Law & Order, it looks like the poor Bullmastiff is headed to jail.

AC108_SH0217_f-1365x2048.jpg

ANIMAL-CONTROL-Season-1-Episode-8-Photo-Hellhounds-And-Sturgeons-003-1365x2048.jpg

Just sent it to Saber. But yeah, it  does look like her description. I sent her the forum's regards as well.

• Thanks 3

Another reply from Saber (after seeing the picture, but as you see, she's been thinking about it).

---Saber

I've been doing not much but thinking about Bullmastiffs vs. Mastiffs and how to make the differences more clear. So thanks for this photo because that's not either of them, it's a Cane Corso. See the photo I've attached of a show-quality Cane (pronounced KAH-nay) Corso. I can't see the tail in the photo but Canes are typically docked, although dogs from Europe (or pet breeders) are not. But I suspect this one is docked because of the ear crop. That short crop is used on fighting dogs like the Cane Corso and Pit Bull.

I'm so glad you got a photo. Thanks to whomever provided it. I can now stop thinking about those Mastiff breeds! I guess calling the dog a Mastiff made it more relatable to people than calling it what it is and everyone saying WTH is that?

I did read in the show recap that the guys put on their "puffy suits" to capture the dog. That's another of the several reasons I won't watch this show, a "puffy suit" won't stop a dog from tearing your arm off. People who train protection dogs do wear special suits with bite protection, but dogs cannot tear or "rip off" those special suits.

So many reasons I can't watch this show!

Thanks again, a zillion times!

image.png.ff2b23751ebc257fa3552e623c741bde.png

----End Saber

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

Thank you for relaying all this to Saber, and sharing her replies!!

Fwiw (probably not much), they did show the puffy suits were useless, as the dog ripped the arm off one. I think the show is not trying to be educational, but rather to portray its characters as buffoons.

• Like 2

On the topic of Saber... I just read on another forum that a user couldn't log in to her account after she logged out. She tried all the methods suggested, but eventually had to plead with a mod to jigger with it to get it work.  The mod helped.  (Just an FYI)

Edited: I have no idea why my fingers though there was an N in "methods."

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On the topic of Saber... I just read on another forum that a user couldn't log in to her account after she logged out. She tried all the methonds suggested, but eventually had to plead with a mod to jigger with it to get it work.  The mod helped.  (Just an FYI)

Not sure if that was me but it is what happened to me a year or so ago. I actually had to find an email for a mod that did not go through the site as I couldn't log in to get to a mod that way. The mod was able to get me logged in though I had to check the site to see any notifications (it was trying to fix my notification issues that led to me logging out and not being able to log back in) then , all of a sudden a few months ago, I started to get my notifications again. I'm not going to mess with anything. I am good with the status quo.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Actually, the info is for Saber AND PBnJay, whom we also miss.

I wonder if Fisher (with a number I can't remember) is also having the same problem.  He hasn't posted on Jeopardy! for about the same amount of time.  I always enjoyed his posts.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Thank you for relaying all this to Saber, and sharing her replies!!

Fwiw (probably not much), they did show the puffy suits were useless, as the dog ripped the arm off one. I think the show is not trying to be educational, but rather to portray its characters as buffoons.

You're very welcome.

17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On the topic of Saber... I just read on another forum that a user couldn't log in to her account after she logged out. She tried all the methods suggested, but eventually had to plead with a mod to jigger with it to get it work.  The mod helped.  (Just an FYI)

Edited: I have no idea why my fingers though there was an N in "methods."

Both Saber and I have contacted mods, but got no response. Though the problem isn't that she can't log in.  The problem is that she can't post (or react, I think) ever since the site update. PBnJay has the same problem.

I wonder about @Ailianna, who hasn't posted in the contest since about the same time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Has it been reported to the "bugs" topic?

ETA: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4378-bugs-questions-suggestions/

Probably not if they can't post :-)  But (I may have mentioned this before), a while back, I had (different) issues and created a second account (to narrow down whether it was my account itself vs. my device/connection).  I have to say the admin team was good at responding to issues, even if they couldn't always fix them right away.

(And is that King Neptune in your avatar?)

• Like 1

Maybe they can’t post,but someone could pester the mods on their behalf? I’d be happy to, but I don’t know the particulars.

On the other hand, creating a new account might be an easy fix. They could even pick a screen name that would make us know them…say Saber 5056 and PBnJayJay? 😉

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Has it been reported to the "bugs" topic?

ETA: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4378-bugs-questions-suggestions/

I reported it there when I first contacted Saber offline. Actually in the update thread, where I thought it applied. For some reason my question is highlighted in red and marked hidden.  Perhaps because I entered system specific info for Saber (her computer setup and versions). Saber also reported the problem (from a computer elsewhere). Neither of us has had a response. It could be they're still working on it - but it has literally been months.

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I reported it there when I first contacted Saber offline. Actually in the update thread, where I thought it applied. For some reason my question is highlighted in red and marked hidden.  Perhaps because I entered system specific info for Saber (her computer setup and versions). Saber also reported the problem (from a computer elsewhere). Neither of us has had a response. It could be they're still working on it - but it has literally been months.

I think all posts in that forum are hidden/in red until they are approved by a mod.  Early in the post-update turmoil, they said they were leaving posts hidden until they were able to research and respond.  But at this point, I think I would assume it fell through the cracks and reach out again.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
Just now, Welshman in Ca said:

Or maybe just sign up as a new user with a different name ?

Which can be done. I know because I once did it, accidentally. I had mistakenly signed out and couldn’t remember my password to get back in. I forget the exact details, but I ended up resetting— or so I thought; I must have been just creating— my password under a slightly different name: “30Helens” instead of “30 Helens”. (It was a mistake.) When I signed back in, I was confused to find a shiny new account with no history, no avatar, no nothing—until I realized what I had done. I managed to get back in under my original name, but I think there’s still an unused 30Helens account floating around out there. Maybe Saber wants it? 😆

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Fwiw, there are a lot of update-related problems that have not been solved yet. Someone asked... I think yesterday... if one of them was going to be fixed or if it was just going to be part of the new way of doing things and they said it will definitely be fixed, but not until the next update, which is supposed to happen later this month, though they didn't know the exact date.

• Useful 3