Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Here's your place for small talk and introductions!

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Alistair, previous contestant, 'age chameleon' and occasional denizen of the monster TWoP Jeopardy thread, here. Looking forward to the next Battle of the Decades next week! Obviously a lot of people will be watching Thursday for Ken... but let's not short-change the other contestants!

Read the boilerplate below before posting to this thread.  Be aware there is a "General Discussion" thread now for, well, general discussion of the show.  Also some more specific topic threads.  Please reserve this thread for off-topic discussion, introductions, etc.  Thanks.

I actually don't have cable so I can't watch Jeopardy! live anymore, but I was wondering if anyone watches any other trivia shows.

I love the UK "University Challenge". It was based off the US College Bowl, but they continued it in the UK. It can be very difficult, but I always feel incredibly good when I get a question the other eight contestants (on two teams) don't get.

A clip from Jeopardy was shown on last night's Last Week Tonight. It was illustrating how we Americans don't know what the Commonwealth Games are. It was from one of Julia's episodes.

New British Coins

$2000 
A new 50-pence piece marks the 20th celebration of these multi-country games, to be held in the U.K. in 2014

(Triple Stumper)

• Love 1

hope this is the right thread.  i have a friend -- we've recorded and "played" jeopardy for over 20 years.  she's recently cancelled her cable and has gone the netflix/youtube route.  but we really miss jeopardy.  the other night because of tornado warnings i was unable to see a certain program.  so i went to cbs.com and was able to watch it.  does nbc offer anything like this?  

Actually, it's not on any network - it's syndicated and the individual affiliates buy the shows.  Perhaps your local station can help.  What I did after I ditched Comcast was buy an indoor antenna and I watch "over the air" broadcast stations, including my NBC affiliate, who is the one that carries J! in my area.  They also have a sister station that's one of those that shows a lot of reruns of old shows plus "Wheel" at 7 PM.  Whenever there's some big news story and the affiliate knows they're gonna pre-empt Jeopardy!, they move it over to the sister station, so I can still watch even when there's a high-speed car chase going on LIVE in Metro Atlanta - I just watch channel 36 instead of 11.

The indoor antenna isn't rabbit ears; it's a Mohu Leaf...it comes with little pins for you to hang it up behind a bookshelf or something.  I've had it almost a year and it's working pretty well.  I get ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC & the two PBS stations in Atlanta plus a bunch of other weird stuff like Moxie and Retro.

• Love 1

I have a question for those of you who have taped or been to tapings. I know that they tape multiple shows a day back-to-back. How much time in between tapings is there? The repeat champions don't wear the same thing each taping, so do you go change clothes and come right back? 

Not much time in between tapings, about a half hour at most IIRC. They want to keep things moving. And each contestant is told to bring a couple of clothes changes, in case of multiple appearances. (They prefer solid colors, no big prints or stripes.)

On a side note-happy Birthday to Alex Trebeck. He's 75!

(edited)

I decided it was time to mention this.  I love PTV so much more than TWoP because you can "like" more than 5 posts in a 24-hour period!

Thanks, PTV!!

I love this too. A year ago it was actually 50 100 likes, but a couple of posters and mods actually hit the limit a couple of times (myself included). Then it was upgraded to 100 250 likes. It's a rolling 24 hours too. Good luck trying to get that point. ;)

ETA: Forgot the numbers

Edited by Athena
  • Love 2

Re the Nevada Barr mystery series:

Not particularly cosy.  Anna Pigeon's a law enforcement Ranger for the National Park System, so she gets stationed at different Parks across the country - and meets up with a lot of bad guys.  She gets beat up a LOT...but she's not completely healed by the next page. There are some repercussions to her physical altercations.  The one that squicked me out the most took place caving/spelunking.  I don't think I'm claustrophobic, but that just freaked me out.

And she IS fond of her wine.  ;-)

• Love 2

Not particularly cosy.  Anna Pigeon's a law enforcement Ranger for the National Park System, so she gets stationed at different Parks across the country - and meets up with a lot of bad guys.  She gets beat up a LOT...but she's not completely healed by the next page. There are some repercussions to her physical altercations.  The one that squicked me out the most took place caving/spelunking.  I don't think I'm claustrophobic, but that just freaked me out.

Thanks. I might give it a shot but generally prefer not to get scared!

How does the cow keep from getting an infection since there's a place for bacteria to enter?  It seems like veterinary schools could find another way for students to learn about bovine digestion. I watch movies with rampant violence and gore and it barely bothers me.  Show me a picture of a cow with a window and it bothers me immensely.

Don't watch the Dirty Jobs clip, then, as the cow they were reaching into seemed upset.

• Love 1

I saw a film about window cows as a kid in grade school. Gave me nightmares for months. I have no idea why they showed such a graphic film to kids so young. I can still remember it and it still creeps me out.

This reminds me of the Meat Council film from The Simpsons.

• Love 1

But I feel the same way about what's happening to all the STR words. I hear it more and more these words are being pronounced as if they have an SCH in front of the T (Schtrong, for example).  I hate it.

I used to work with a woman who did (sort of) the opposite...she, apparently, couldn't pronounce the SH sound if followed by an R.  Her favorite seafood was srimp.

While watching Secret Agent, I got hung up on the DR sound - it always sounded like his name was John Jrake, not John Drake. (Yes, that's how old I am...I watched Secret Agent with Patrick McGoohan.)

• Love 1

I used to like her books when they really were about the National Park she was in.  I stopped reading her when she started to get too dark (serial killers and such) and lost the nature aspect of her books.  But that cave book (Blind Descent) was one of my favorites.  She captured being in that cave perfectly and I did feel claustrophobic. 

• Love 2

teebax said in the episode thread:

My license plate is a specialty plate for Arizona, and it's "Women Veterans." I dislike the usage of "women" as an adjective too, but not as much as i hate getting tickets. I haven't gotten a ticket since I put that plate on my car (knock on wood). Therefore, it's staying!

It IS amazing how much influence (perceived or not) those license plates portend to have.  I have the RI New England Patriots plates on my car, love them, and get wonderful responses to them as long as I'm actually in New England.  When visiting my son in New York, not so much.  LOL.

• Love 2

I got back from the Turner Classic Movies Cruise a week ago & Alex was on there for a few days. He got off the ship when we docked in San Juan PR. He did a couple of trivia contests but the first one conflicted with something else we were doing and the second one was so crowded we couldn't get in. The only time I saw him was at the sail away party. 

• Love 2

I have an box fan I have in my room . It appears it broke last night . I had it twelve years . I bought it in July 2004, the same week , maybe even the same day , M. Darcy was on Jeopardy . My grandma , who was a huge Jeopardy fan , was visiting us . It lasted longer than I thought it would . 

• Love 6

I can't watch Jeopardy! because Verizon Fios and Bristlecone Media, who owns the local FOX channel in Syracuse, are having a pissing contest over rights fees and Bristlecone yanked their two stations off Fios.

What infuriates me the most is this JUST happened two years ago and they didn't sign a deal until January 7th.  I can't believe that not only did they only sign a two year deal, but the awful company who owns FOX is a tyrant.  No other channel had this problem, so I fully blame them.

No NY Giants football, no Jeopardy!, no Bones, no Hell's Kitchen.  I can at least watch Bones and Hell's Kitchen on the app, and football on my phone which I hate to do, but no recourse on Jeopardy!

It makes me quite sad, it does.

• Love 1

I remember you M.Darcy! You remind me so much of my college BFF, & I think we have the same name (if the name you used on J! is a nickname for the name it is commonly a nickname for :-)  ) 

Happy Jeopardy anniversary! 

Dr. Toothbrush & I wondered if Kevin was really that clueless about plays*, or if it was deliberate so as to go viral & get his 15 minutes of fame. I think the former, but unfortunately the latter would not surprise me. Pat's joke about wanting to see Kevin's play was hilarious! He really is witty. 

*I am certainly no expert on plays, and maybe it is because I am from NOLA, but I thought "A Streetcar Named Desire" was common knowledge.  

• Love 1