Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

50 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Fwiw, there are a lot of update-related problems that have not been solved yet. Someone asked... I think yesterday... if one of them was going to be fixed or if it was just going to be part of the new way of doing things and they said it will definitely be fixed, but not until the next update, which is supposed to happen later this month, though they didn't know the exact date.

That's good to know. When it happens, let us know, so I can get Saber to try again.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That's good to know. When it happens, let us know, so I can get Saber to try again.

In the mean time, perhaps Saber is enjoying a Board Break, which, for me, would be like watching Breakers from a Board walk. 🙃

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I will try to remember to mention it, but my memory is unreliable at best, so the sure way to know is to sub to the bugs and updates forum, where they are talking about update news.

Or, it might become obvious because whenever they do an update the site always goes down for a while.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Now I want a whole dog-mix category. With photos, please.

Ask and ye shall receive, @ams1001Apologies for the quality of the images; the resolution is not quite transferring.

Many years ago, my husband and I adopted an emaciated dog from a shelter. At the time, she weighed 9 lbs, and I think most of that was fur. She had been taken off the street, pregnant, and had just finished nursing her litter of puppies. This is what she looked like at the time:

A0128025-6C48-4B69-8665-A0C0E386D599.jpeg.a576e7944f42fe7eabed00d956752b2f.jpeg

Cute, huh? And these are some of her puppies, taken from the shelter’s adoption posting:

F78EFB9E-5A3B-4445-B0AD-99477F2E9F4D.jpeg.eca4edef488b44273f81d0f4e474a27d.jpeg  CC24BEF5-2FF5-4A28-A415-15D8872A57FD.jpeg.5477a37bb52fcc71b5b33747cb0ca911.jpeg BDF32BCD-0500-4590-BEDF-A80BE718043C.jpeg.8c0b8d1c34c1f2aa342dae91c3eaa2bd.jpeg 1FC7B088-D02D-4006-9823-C9712B926C92.jpeg.e042d507548f7466a23ee8021cfeef6c.jpeg

I had the opportunity to see my girl in the cage with her pups and at 8 weeks old, they were already bigger than she was. They were knocking her around the cage. I have no idea what the father looked like but, safe to say, that had to hurt.

We managed to bring her up to fighting weight, 19 lbs. (The pups were gone by then, but she could have taken them.) We sadly lost her last year after a prolonged illness, but she lived a long and happy life. No more pups, though. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Hugs 10
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Ask and ye shall receive, @ams1001Apologies for the quality of the images; the resolution is not quite transferring.

Many years ago, my husband and I adopted an emaciated dog from a shelter. At the time, she weighed 9 lbs, and I think most of that was fur. She had been taken off the street, pregnant, and had just finished nursing her litter of puppies. This is what she looked like at the time:

A0128025-6C48-4B69-8665-A0C0E386D599.jpeg.a576e7944f42fe7eabed00d956752b2f.jpeg

Cute, huh? And these are some of her puppies, taken from the shelter’s adoption posting:

F78EFB9E-5A3B-4445-B0AD-99477F2E9F4D.jpeg.eca4edef488b44273f81d0f4e474a27d.jpeg  CC24BEF5-2FF5-4A28-A415-15D8872A57FD.jpeg.5477a37bb52fcc71b5b33747cb0ca911.jpeg BDF32BCD-0500-4590-BEDF-A80BE718043C.jpeg.8c0b8d1c34c1f2aa342dae91c3eaa2bd.jpeg 1FC7B088-D02D-4006-9823-C9712B926C92.jpeg.e042d507548f7466a23ee8021cfeef6c.jpeg

I had the opportunity to see my girl in the cage with her pups and at 8 weeks old, they were already bigger than she was. They were knocking her around the cage. I have no idea what the father looked like but, safe to say, that had to hurt.

We managed to bring her up to fighting weight, 19 lbs. (The pups were gone by then, but she could have taken them.) We sadly lost her last year after a prolonged illness, but she lived a long and happy life. No more pups, though. 🙂

Aww, she looks so sweet. Quite the variety pack she produced!

• Like 5

Does dog reproduction work like cats?  The female kitty actually doesn't ovulate until he withdraws. There are barbs on the penis that rake her on the way out to stimulate ovulation.  (That's why she screams, turns around, and tries to beat him up) But "heat" doesn't end yet.  She can mate with several males, each one fathering a different kitten in the litter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Does dog reproduction work like cats?  The female kitty actually doesn't ovulate until he withdraws. There are barbs on the penis that rake her on the way out to stimulate ovulation.  (That's why she screams, turns around, and tries to beat him up) But "heat" doesn't end yet.  She can mate with several males, each one fathering a different kitten in the litter.

I wasn’t sure which reaction emoji to go with, light bulb/interesting or horrified/OMG. Because this post needs both. (Raking barbs? Really??)

• Sad 3
  • LOL 1
6 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

(Raking barbs? Really??)

If you think that's bad, look up a duck's penis.

And also, yes, just like with cats, in dogs a litter can have different fathers.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just went to J6 and noticed that it's not dated for today. It's from Friday. Is this because of the strike? I'll miss it but the strike is important.

These things are filmed weeks in advance, I believe, so I don't think it's a problem due to the writer's strike (though it may start impacting it in the not too distant future.)

Is there a thread anywhere here re: coronation coverage? I watched most of my recording from a local PBS station this afternoon, and hoped to find a place to discuss it. Anyone else watch?

26 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Is there a thread anywhere here re: coronation coverage? I watched most of my recording from a local PBS station this afternoon, and hoped to find a place to discuss it. Anyone else watch?

I did not, as it doesn't interest me, but I'm sure there is a coronation thread in the Royals sub-forum (it's in Everything Else) that would include coverage discussion.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I did not, as it doesn't interest me, but I'm sure there is a coronation thread in the Royals sub-forum (it's in Everything Else) that would include coverage discussion.

Yep - there's a live chat thread (now locked): 

and an ongoing thread: 

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

…and an ongoing thread: 

Occasionally I’ve watched televised Royal doings, but apparently not often enough to keep me from wondering whether the crown-like item in the photo:
29EF4B6D-9AA2-4F17-A642-057A44817478.thumb.jpeg.b4dcc11ce20d3a358ffc02fcb7b901b8.jpeg

—might have some kingly BDSM applications.

Edited by shapeshifter

The discussion of Benedict Arnold and the Brady Bunch reminded me that I only ever saw The Brady Bunch once.  One of the boys didn't get picked for something and was greatly disappointed. Mom tried to cheer him up with a slice of chocolate cake.  ...and I thought, "Oh, great. Console the kid with sugar. Let him associate chocolate with curing disappointment. Like when he gets diagnosed with diabetes and/or obesity."

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

From the regular-season thread:

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I just looked it up and the reason the Aldi brand split into north and south versions was that it started when the brothers argued over whether or not to sell cigarettes.

ETA: These guys are German, too. So it's not "don't go into business with your brother" exactly; it's more like "don't go into business with your brother if y'all are German."

I see your German brothers theory and raise you Danish twins. (I don't know how poker works.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Andrew's wife had a baby boy on Monday. Has the show ended except for the remaining taped segments? I can't imagine Mattea being able to keep on playing after the sudden death of her father. I'm going to have Masters Jeopardy withdrawal pains at the end of the tournament next week.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

Disney Feelings:  I am not fond of Disney stuff, except for Daisy Duck. (I don't know why I like Daisy.) My mom loved DisneyWorld, especially Epcot, so she paid for us to go one year. I drove. It was two weeks before Christmas, the place was decorated, but most schools weren't out yet, so there weren't that many kids. My SIL loves all things Disney and my nephews, when they were lil kids, LOVED the TIki Room, so I finally got to see what that was all about.

I was most disappointed in the people. The ones with kids had their maps out and they were fast-walking between attractions, grim expressions on their faces, like they were going to miss out on something if they didn't rush through the place. Not really the Happiest Place in the World, if you ask me.

I DID enjoy the Muppet 3-D movie.  AND we discovered if you go with an old woman with a cane, you get to move to the head of the line.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I like Disney, or I used to.  I'm not sure if I even understand how DisneyWorld works anymore, what with all the apps and timed entries and all.  Seems like it takes way too much planning -- certainly more than it did the last time I went.  We just sort of meandered around and rode rides as we came to them.  I don't know if you can visit Disney that way now and actually get to do anything other than just meander around.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

Back in the 90s, we had the package deal - 3 days, 2 nights at a Disney hotel, so when we got there in late afternoon, we checked into a cheapie motel outside the park so we could be there from the morning of our first day. There were only 3 "parks" at the time - the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and the MGM studio. And that's the order we did them.

Both Mom and I had bright purple laces on our athletic shoes.  We took the shuttle bus from the hotel to the park.  When Mom would spend too much time in loo, I could go check on her by looking for the purple laces. On the shuttle on the way back to the hotel, there was a young couple on the bus with us and the lady said, "Oh, you guys were on the bus this morning, too! I remember your shoelaces."  LOL,

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

The first time my family and I went to Disney World was the second year it was open, we got ticket books that had tickets for all the rides and exhibits, they were marked A, B, C, D and E...E tickets were to the best rides in the park and of course there were the fewest of them in the ticket book!  We had a blast, driving from Baltimore to Disney, stopping at South of the Border, etc....taking my young children there several decades later it was different, more parks and such, then another 10 or so years later it really changed, apps, bracelets, timed tickets, plus the expense, I am fine with my memories, no need to visit again.

• Like 6
(edited)

The first time I was at Disney was on an overnight high school graduation trip. There was a dress code, and they enforced it. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the trip, but mostly because of the a***oles on our bus.

I saw DisneyWorld before Epcot, so it was just a newer version of Disneyland in a hot, sticky climate and I was pretty bored.

But we did take our kids to Disneyland twice - and stayed at one of the Disney Hotels each time (got a good deal). That was fun except for the inevitable tantrums (though sad to say, one of them was mine...)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
(edited)

I went to Disney once with my family when I was 14. The only ride I remember is the Haunted Mansion, which I quite liked for some reason and went on several times. The only other part of the visit that stuck with me is that the breakfast buffet was tremendous and the pats of butter were molded into a D with a globe with mouse ears.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I said I'd try to tell people when the site update happened. I thought it didn't happen yet, because none of the problems I was having were fixed. But, apparently, they did the update and thought they'd fixed things they didn't fix. 

In the Bugs and Feedback forum, they say that if you still have a problem, you should let them know.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That was fun except for the inevitable tantrums (though sad to say, one of them was mine...)

My late brother and his family, living in Miami, went to Disney a lot. One time, the two boys were constantly at it in the car..."He's lookin' at me!"  Joe told them if they didn't behave, he'd turn the car around & they'd go home.  They got to the hotel on the property, checked in to their two adjoining rooms, and while unpacking, the boys started up again. Joe packed everything back up & took 'em all down to the desk, where they checked out & went home. The front desk people said they'd never seen that before - that a parent actually went through with the threat.  The boys NEVER acted up again.

I never knew this story until the older boy got married and the younger told it at the rehearsal dinner. People looked at Joe with awe.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The first time my family and I went to Disney World was the second year it was open, we got ticket books that had tickets for all the rides and exhibits, they were marked A, B, C, D and E...E tickets were to the best rides in the park and of course there were the fewest of them in the ticket book!  We had a blast, driving from Baltimore to Disney, stopping at South of the Border, etc....taking my young children there several decades later it was different, more parks and such, then another 10 or so years later it really changed, apps, bracelets, timed tickets, plus the expense, I am fine with my memories, no need to visit again.

I remember those ticket books!  I always had to make sure I got the one that included the Haunted Mansion and the Teacups.  It was quite complicated to figure out which ones were the best for what you wanted to do.  Or maybe it wasn't for grown-ups.  I was somewhere in the 6-8 year old range, and mostly just reminded my parents (repeatedly) to get the right books!

• Like 1

Glad that I was gone over the past week, so as to not have to experience all of the Disney hate in real time.  My wife and I go to Disney World roughly once a year (going this year in November)  It's a wonderful place to be, and if you want to think I'm weird for thinking so, that's cool with me.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 4

I don't think you're weird at all. I haven't been able to travel the last few years, but there were times back in the day that I would head to Disney World twice a year. Most of my trips would be for at least 10 days which would allow for a more leisurely pace in the parks, especially when i had an annual pass. I realize that most folks aren't able to or are even interested this and that's fine - to each his own. Some people are into sports, or camping, or cooking, or gardening...whatever floats your boat. Through some Disney activities I've met some great folks that have become good friends to this day - ones that I've traveled to Disney World, Disneyland and been on Disney cruises with. I know that things have changed with Disney (and not necessarily for the better) but I cherish my experiences.

MrAtoz - have a wonderful time in November. Have a Dole Whip for me and say hi to Mickey.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

My wife and I go to Disney World roughly once a year (going this year in November)  It's a wonderful place to be, and if you want to think I'm weird for thinking so, that's cool with me.

The only really incomprehensible idea of going to Disney Land/World being "fun" to me is people who drive in a car for 13 hours each way with a spouse and 3 kids. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
Just now, shapeshifter said:

The only really incomprehensible idea of going to Disney Land/World being weird to me is people who drive in a car for 13 hours each way with a spouse and 3 kids. 

We used to, but it was two cars, four adults, and seven kids.  We went from Illinois to Daytona, where we stayed (OG Spring Breakers!).  Back then, though, there was only the Magic Kingdom, so it was easy to "do" Disney in a day trip from the beach.  The last time we went, it was three cars and Amtrak from four different directions, with six adults and two kids.  We rented a house in Kissimmee and did the day trip to the beach, with the rest of the week split between Disney and Universal.

I've been to DisneyWorld and Epcot once, as an adult in grad school, while one of my friends was working in the park. It was the only time in my very long student life that I ever went on spring break. Glad I went, don't need to ever go again.

• Like 4

For those who watch dog shows: "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" (the NPR news quiz) said that some handlers at the Westminster dog show hold treats in their mouths to focus their dogs' attention on them.  According to the AKC, this is true.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I've only been to Disneyland because I live in Los Angeles; if it was a travel destination, we'd have never gone.  I went a few times as a kid (the best was when the big company my dad worked for rented it out for a night, so we got to go with no risk of crowds!), and then like so many CA high school seniors did Grad Night (they did make us really have to work to sneak in booze, I'll give 'em that), but I've never been as an adult as I have no interest.  By the time I was a pre-teen and teenager, I was all about Magic Mountain instead.  (Which now you couldn't pay me to visit, unless it was nearly empty.)

In my mid-30s I had a friend who worked for Disney, so I could have gone for free with him.  But I knew I couldn't handle being around that many kids just to see what I thought upon revisiting something from childhood, and also figured I'd be annoyed by the changes.  I don't want to see Pirates of the Caribbean altered to match some movie I've never seen, I don't want the cheesy effects of the Haunted Mansion changed, etc.  It belongs as a memory of something my parents occasionally dragged themselves to so I could have fun on the rides.

NOT the Teacups, though.  I would spew vomit within 60 seconds if I got on something like that.  The little kid ride I liked was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and the submarine thing (and, when I was really little, the Dumbo flying elephant ride).  Other than that, it was the Haunted Mansion, the Matterhorn, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Carribean, and who knows what I've forgotten all about. 

11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

NOT the Teacups, though.  I would spew vomit within 60 seconds if I got on something like that

7 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I can't ride the Teacups -- they make me so dizzy I can't function for a long time afterward.

Well. All these years I thought I was wimpy for only being able to handle the Teacups.
But now reading of your reactions to the Teacups, my affinity for that particular ride makes sense since even at almost 70 I still have an uncanny sense of balance. My hearing isn't so good, but apparently my inner ear workings are top notch!

I liked Merry Go Rounds too. The one's with the horses, not so much the playground death traps that have since been thankfully retired.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

My wife and I go to Disney World roughly once a year (going this year in November)  It's a wonderful place to be, and if you want to think I'm weird for thinking so, that's cool with me.

We went to Disneyland when I was a kid - we flew from New York, Dad worked for TWA, so it didn't cost anything to fly - and 40 years ago I went to Disney World on my honeymoon, which tells you something about how things went from there...

The past 4 or 5 years, GF and I have gone down to Disney World. We go to Sebring in March for the IMSA sports car races (after doing Daytona in January) then spend a couple of days with the Mouse. Since it's usually only two days at the parks, we stay at a Disney hotel, and do two parks. This year we did Epcot and Hollywood Studios (my first time there) but we've done Magic Kingdom a couple of times as well as Animal Kingdom. Last year we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, it was really neat looking out the window of our room and seeing animals grazing.  We don't usually do too many rides, but we'll pick a few we want to try, do some photography, find a good meal, and just relax.

JM_2022_03_20_Disney_Fireworks_018-XL.jp

• Like 5

We'd run to our Teacup and immediately start spinning it as fast as our tiny arms could get it to go.  We'd get a pretty good spin going before the ride even started!  

40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I liked Merry Go Rounds too. The one's with the horses, not so much the playground death traps that have since been thankfully retired.

I even loved those playground death traps.  We'd take turns pushing, running as fast as we could and jumping on -- and holding on for dear life.  The playgrounds were often gravel, too.  It's truly amazing we survived at all.  There was the rare broken arm from the monkey bars, but I don't really remember any injuries except scrapes and minor cuts/scratches.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The playgrounds were often gravel, too.  It's truly amazing we survived at all.  There was the rare broken arm from the monkey bars, but I don't really remember any injuries except scrapes and minor cuts/scratches.

The school playgrounds were blacktop, and we girls had to wear dresses. I had scabby knees until whatever age they didn't do recess anymore. 

I went to a park with my grandchild a couple of weeks ago. The surface under the play equipment was so soft I could have easily taken a nap on it!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1