Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, Miss Chevious said:

I just want to make sure y'all saw this, from a couple of days ago.

See, as I have said in the show thread, more people need to watch the Simpsons!

• Love 6

One of my cats is named Stella*. Whenever I tell white folks that, they ALL go to Brando yelling, "STELLA." Some black folks do, too, but many, especially the women, go straight to her getting her groove back. I've never had a white person refer to the Terry McMillan book (or the movie.) I think that's an interesting cultural quirk.

*Stella is also the name of Vanna's cat.

• Love 5

As a white person, I'd probably do the Brando thing.  But I also worked on one of Terry McMillan's recent books, so I think I should get partial credit for that.

I like a cat named Stella.  We used to have an albino parakeet named Blanche.  So now all that's missing is a dog named Stanley, and we can act out highlights from Streetcar right here on the J! forum!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I used to devour those Nero Wolfes like buttered popcorn--I've read maybe fifty-plus of them--but I wonder if I'd feel the same about them now.  Nero did have his issues with women, didn't he?  "American women should themselves be boiled in water.Ah, well, it was a simpler time!

Totally off-topic, but I love all the strong businesswomen in those books, and you know it's era-appropriate, because that's when they were written! I feel like I read a lot of stuff in books from the 40s and 50s that would be written off as unrealistic if someone today wrote a book set then. 

• Love 1

Bringing this from the ep thread.

Again, I think corn is grody, but my hubby and kid love it.  When he makes it on the grill he soaks it in cold water with the green stuff on it, then wraps it in aluminum foil and grills it for some amount of time.  He thinks about fifteen minutes while you keep turning it.

He said that is really the only way to eat it.  Once I husked it and THEN soaked it and he looked at me like I had just run over the cat.  Apparently the green stuff is not to come off until after it is grilled.

When everything comes off the grill it's a pain in the ass to handle because it's very hard to remove wrapped up foil and green stuff while wearing oven mitts.  But you have to get the foil off quickly so the kernels don't get soggy and why this job always seems to fall to me I have no earthly idea.

• Love 1

Pertaining to the Rubik's Cube discussion: I could never figure it out. THEN I notice the colors were just decals stuck onto the surfaces. I peeled 'em all off & put 'em back on as though I had solved the thing. Impressed the hell out of my brother. Bwaaahahahahahaha.

Of course, anyone who knows the secret to solving it will never be able to get that particular one solved, since all the colors had been moved around. I wonder what happened to it.

Yes, I can be evil.

• Love 3

Here's my idea for a new show - a crossover of Jeopardy and The Good Place.

Alex Trebek wakes up in the afterlife and Ted Danson tells him he will spend eternity in a neighborhood that Danson designed.  On every corner is a French restaurant or bistro, and Alex won't cook his own meals but will eat out three meals a day.  Every restaurant prints its menus in French and the waitstaff really appreciates patrons who get the pronunciation correct.

Unlike fancy French places in our world, the upscale restaurants in the Good Place have trivia contests every evening, where the categories are things like

• Gallic Memories
  • Fin de Siecle Paris
  • Coco Chanel and the Nouvelle Vague
  • Julia Child's kitchen
  • Madam Bovary on a Bullet Train to Nice

Alex wins pretty much every night.

After a few weeks the inhabitants of the neighborhood realize Ted Danson has been playing them all along.

While this place is indeed heaven for Alex, it's The Bad Place for everyone else!

Which leads Alex to quote Jean-Paul Sartre: "Hell is other people."

• Love 6

Sorry, I just needed to vent about this, so I figured hey, why not here? Does anybody else get stuck watching Jeopardy with an annoying companion? I got into the unfortunate habit of watching with my roommate. I love the guy to death, but god! Every. Single. Time we watch, there always has to be a clue that triggers him to start telling some story related to the clue. I don't like to be rude, so of course I give him the courtesy of listening to his story, only to miss like the next 3 categories of clues. I'm now convinced he does this on purpose because I'm better at Jep than he is. OK, rant over. Just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now. 

• Love 3

Speaking of DVRs, is there a forum about hardware on this site?  I'm looking for a DVR that works for over-the-air broadcasting (no cable), and that would not have a monthly fee.  Looked for a hardware forum but couldn't find one.

48 minutes ago, Driad said:

Speaking of DVRs, is there a forum about hardware on this site?  I'm looking for a DVR that works for over-the-air broadcasting (no cable), and that would not have a monthly fee.  Looked for a hardware forum but couldn't find one.

There is, but it's pretty dead. http://forums.previously.tv/forum/1218-tv-hardware-software/

I was going to suggest reddit (I know), and they have a guide that looks like what you want: https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/wiki/dvr

• Love 2

To continue the Tom Lehrer love... In 1964, I was in high school and was in a "data processing" class. (School was in the process of buying a room-sized computer - next year, the class would become "computer programming.") and our teacher, a guy fresh out of college, LOVED Lehrer and, instead of teaching us the IBM business machines he was supposed to be teaching, would play Lehrer records for us. I loved that class.

• Love 2

When I was taking off from the Orlando airport Saturday as I was looking out the window while taxiing a plane was coming in as a plane was taking off and while I was trying to get a pic with my iPhone I couldn’t help but think “damn I bet @Moose135 would get a great shot of this”.

My iPhone, sadly, did not.

• Love 2

Hello, Jeopardy! forum, would you accept a question from an interloper? I'm a longtime J! watcher, but I don't record or view missed shows, so I could have missed a mention of this.

Has there been a comment on the change at the end of the show? Instead of the three contestants joining Alex Trebek at center stage during the closing credits, they remain behind the console and Alex chats with them there. 

I always found it interesting (and sometimes surprising) to see the contestants' actual heights after they stepped off those height-adjusting platforms. Was it germane to the game? No. Am I curious enough to want to know why the change was made? Yes, please. Does anyone know?

Thank you!

• Love 3

I have no answer, but I've been wondering about that, too.  I always like to check out their shoes.  It's an illness.

Thank you for asking.  I hope someone knows.  I thought it was an accommodation to the champ with the broken leg, but she's been gone for days now, so why does it continue?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I have no answer, but I've been wondering about that, too.  I always like to check out their shoes.  It's an illness.

I share your illness. I used to love checking out what everyone was wearing. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Thank you for asking.  I hope someone knows.  I thought it was an accommodation to the champ with the broken leg, but she's been gone for days now, so why does it continue?

It started before the contestant with the broken leg and, as you noted, has continued after.

• Love 2

I don't think anyone outside the show knows, but I would speculate that it is Alex's preference. He did it for a while after he broke his leg, right? Perhaps he feels more comfortable with something solid to hold onto in case he needs support.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2

Of course today we saw him walking over to the contestants, and he seemed pretty steady on his feet. I noticed how awkward it is for the contestant on the right side of the screen, though, because Alex can't be too close to that person or else he'll block the left-most contestant. And the contestants are stuck in place because they're on apple boxes.

• Love 2

I have a theory based on something I just noticed. It looks like the show now has fancy self-raising and -lowering dividers that go up between the contestants before Final Jeopardy. (If you look closely, you can see them lower after the winner is revealed.) Perhaps these are the reason the contestants no longer come out for the end chat.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have a crossword puzzle app that I do every day and yesterday one of the clues was “legendary frontiersman Carson.”

I bet you guys have NO IDEA what the answer was.

Kit?  I'm old.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I have a crossword puzzle app that I do every day and yesterday one of the clues was “legendary frontiersman Carson.”

I bet you guys have NO IDEA what the answer was.

LOL! 

My cousin has a horse named Carson, and now I have to catch myself before calling him Kit. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

LOL! 

My cousin has a horse named Carson, and now I have to catch myself before calling him Kit. 

Whenever I watch Downton Abbey, I sometimes call Mr. Carson "Kit" and then giggle maniacally.  ?

• Love 2

Over in the Season 34 thread, mojoween said "I’ve never seen Sports Night but that episode title alone makes me think it would be something I would enjoy."

The Cut Man Cometh is maybe my favorite episode of the series. And I just had to share this bit of dialogue. Maybe not hilarious on paper (screen), but just imagine Peter Krause as Casey looking mystified.

Casey McCall: What did he throw, Cut Man? 
Chuck 'The Cut Man' Kimmel: It was a right hook... with a bit of a jab. 
Casey McCall: A jabbing right hook? 
Chuck 'The Cut Man' Kimmel: That's right, Casey. 
Casey McCall: And he did it with his left hand? 
Chuck 'The Cut Man' Kimmel: This fighter's got remarkable skills. He's not to be trifled with, Casey.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Over in the Season 34 thread, mojoween said "I’ve never seen Sports Night but that episode title alone makes me think it would be something I would enjoy."

The Cut Man Cometh is maybe my favorite episode of the series. And I just had to share this bit of dialogue. Maybe not hilarious on paper (screen), but just imagine Peter Krause as Casey looking mystified.

Casey McCall: What did he throw, Cut Man? 
Chuck 'The Cut Man' Kimmel: It was a right hook... with a bit of a jab. 
Casey McCall: A jabbing right hook? 
Chuck 'The Cut Man' Kimmel: That's right, Casey. 
Casey McCall: And he did it with his left hand? 
Chuck 'The Cut Man' Kimmel: This fighter's got remarkable skills. He's not to be trifled with, Casey.

Just reading that made me laugh.  Was that an Aaron Sorkin show?

I hope Sports Night is streaming on Netflix or Hulu.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Just reading that made me laugh.  Was that an Aaron Sorkin show?

I hope Sports Night is streaming on Netflix or Hulu.

Yep, it was an Aaron Sorkin show. It preceded The West Wing (by about a year). 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rubaco said:

Yep, it was an Aaron Sorkin show. It preceded The West Wing (by about a year). 

You're correct.  What's more, S2 of Sports Night ran concurrently with S1 of The West Wing.  Aaron Sorkin was writing (or with Sports Night, at least co-writing) two series at the same time.  Cocaine's a helluva drug.

@mojoween, unfortunately neither Netflix nor Hulu is currently streaming Sports Night.  It had been on Netflix a while back, but no longer. :-(

• Love 1
(edited)

Brought over from proserpina65's post in the Season 34 thread:

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:17 AM, forumfish said:

Because geography is my weakness, I have a hard time remembering which composers were from which countries. My guess for FJ was Franz Liszt. I just looked up info on him and learned he was Hungarian. And that his daughter, Cosima, married Richard Wagner. If this tidbit ever shows up as a clue, I'll be sure to attack the buzzer!

After first being married to Wagner's close friend Hans von Bulow, who stepped aside so that they could be together because he admired Wagner so much.

Proserpina ~ You really sent me down the rabbit hole with your post regarding the Wagner/von Bulow history...what an interesting read!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosima_Wagner

(Of course, then I started wondering how, or if, Hans von Bulow was related to modern day Claus von Bulow and if this link-up was the inspiration for Claus and Sonny von Bulow to name their daughter Cosima.  Still working on this part.) 

Thanks for the interesting factoid.  :-)

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

So it is the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers.

We're really coming together!

Here we are backing the Moody Blues at Red Rocks.

• Love 4
(edited)

Okay, I saw all of you, even the No Boo Hiss Singers, but no screen time for the Alber Camoo Dancers? I cry foul! It was suppose to be my big break into show biz. Nice sackbuts though guys. You sounded great.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3