Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

of course tubby kitty wants to eat tiny kitty's Fancy Feast instead of her own Purina OM

My sister in law found "feeders" at Chewy that are closed until the right microchip comes along & opens it up. Keeps the other cats from eating the "special diet" cat's food. There's another, cheaper model, on Amazon that's keyed to a collar tag, but SIL's cats don't wear collars, so she's got to get at least 3 feeders to keep giant Moses from eating the food of the other 3 cats.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

I'm taking this to Small Talk, because although it's show related I think it fits better here.  

I've been thinking way too much about why I feel about James the way I do.  I don't like him.  Yet when Austin was on, I really liked him.  I think it's because Austin had a more "out there" personality.  In a show where the contestants don't have much they can do to stand out, he did, and for me, it was in a good way.

I've watched Jeopardy! off and on for years, but when I was still working, I didn't get to see it every night.  Now that I'm retired, I do watch it every weeknight.  So Arthur Chu, while annoying, didn't stir up as much negative feeling, since I didn't see him every night.  On the other hand, I would have liked to have seen Julia Collins win more games.

I'm sure James' reign will eventually come to an end, and I'll be pleased when that happens.  He's not enough to make me stop watching until he loses, yet, but I can see that happening if he continues on too long.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I'm so glad Stella is dong well now that the demons have been released 😄 

We have a tubby kitty & a tiny one (12 lbs & 6 lbs), and of course tubby kitty wants to eat tiny kitty's Fancy Feast instead of her own Purina OM (she also eats Hill's prescription weight control). Tiny Kitty couldn't care less about food but it's tubby kitty's reason for living! 

Chin scratches to Bosco & Stella 😼

I’m laughing because my big boy is 22lbs and his sister is 12lbs. They also share the same attitudes about food as yours do. 

Purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties to all. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

@Prevailing Wind, it's so good to learn Miss Stella is doing well and her demons have been released. Big "WHEW" to that. I've had the opposite experience, that the fresh oxygen can make the demons grow. So I'm glad to know good can and does happen. Give her an extra chin scratch noogie from Saber.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Abstract said:

At one point the thought crossed my mind that if I had to face James, the least they could do was first allow me a few minutes alone with [name of former Jeopardy contestant redacted] for a good-luck makeout session. (I am married, apparently my dream self isn't.)

Okay, this made me laugh. And I respectfully request the unredacted version. *taps toe, waiting patiently*

If you have that dream again, play James and beat him. I mean it's a dream, you can make it do whatever you want, right?

Meanwhile, I'm screencapping your post so I have it for blackmail when you get on the show. It will make the best interview story EVAH. Thanks for sharing!

• LOL 5

Love your dream story!

On a totally different subject, my 30th wedding anniversary is today!  We went out for a nice dinner and just had a quiet day.  Except I had to take my husband shoe shopping.  That went well though, so it was still a nice day.

We've always been history buffs, so we were married in Wichita, Kansas, at the First Presbyterian Church at the Old Cowtown Museum.  It was lovely.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

If anyone else is interested in book discussions, I'm in.

I have three I'm reading now.  The first is by Ivan Doig, set in early 1900's rural Montana.  Second is a mystery called, Murder in the Merlot.  Lastly I'm reading Moby Dock.  I've never read it before.

Anyone else reading anything interesting?

Edited by zoey1996

Planning on re-reading "The Phantom Tollbooth", when I get a chance. I remember that I enjoyed it when I read it the first time (as a pre-teen/early teen). I looked through its wikipedia page and realized (a) I would enjoy it as an adult (40 some years after reading it the first time) and (b) I have no idea why I enjoyed it as a youngster, since I don't think I would have understood the references (such as understanding how you get to the Island of Conclusions). I'm sure I've read it more than once, but it has definitely been a while since the last time.

• Love 2

I love my history books, and I am currently rereading The Fourth Part of the World, ostensibly about the 1507 world map that first identified America as a separate continent and gave it the name America. However, it is really about how knowledge of the world’s geography and locales changed from ancient times to the 1500s. A while back, Prester John was a Jeopardy answer, and I knew about him from this book. 

I also recently started reading The Poison Squad by Deborah Blum, about the USDA chemist and reformer who helped get the first pure food and drink act into law in the early 20th century. She wrote my favorite nonfiction book, The Poisoner’s Handbook, about the beginnings of forensic death investigation in Jazz Age NYC. That one sounds like it might be boring, but it is anything but! Each chapter tells a story relating to a different poison, some deliberately and maliciously given, some accidental, some governmental, some corporate. The stories include the Radium Girls, how lead got into gasoline, the inspiration for The Postman Always Rings Twice, the deadly additives and alternatives in bootleg liquor, all really fascinating.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, don't be. If you're not ticked off at us mocking your typo, it's all in good fun!

Yes, it provided a laugh sorely needed this morning for me. The best part is, I didn't even notice Moby Dock so I was all "Huh?" at Opus' post. Then I went back and reread.  So part of that laugh was on me. Plus now we know Moby Dock is the sequel. I need to put that on my Must Read list.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, it provided a laugh sorely needed this morning for me. The best part is, I didn't even notice Moby Dock so I was all "Huh?" at Opus' post. Then I went back and reread.  So part of that laugh was on me. Plus now we know Moby Dock is the sequel. I need to put that on my Must Read list.

If it’d been a typo on, say, War and Peace, I’d have let it go. But never pass up the opportunity to make a dick joke.

• LOL 5

Happy 30th Anniversary to Mr & Mrs @zoey1996!!! ❤️🍾

@Abstract - great dream! lol

@Prevailing Wind @Mindthinkr - I felt that the "fat cat" answer in the rhyming phrases category was a shoutout to Bosco, tubby Toothbrush kitty (aka Penny), & the Mindthinkr felines. 

I'm currently reading "An Adventure" which is the supposed true story of 2 Edwardian women who are convinced they traveled back in time to the Versailles of 1792 while on a visit there in 1901. They researched for several years & published their own book, under pseudonyms, in 1910, called "The Adventure" or "The Ghosts of the Petit Trianon" (cue AT French accent). I love a good ghost/supernatural/time travel (RIP Timeless) story, but this is clearly a fabrication & I'm only still reading because I kind of refuse to not finish a book once I start it. And also learning the history & seeing old maps and plans is pretty fascinating. 

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I just finished "Anne of Green Gables" - I'd never read it and decided it was time.  And it was a free Kindle book.

Isn't it great? A few summers ago my sister, sis-in-law, mom, then 10-year-old niece, & my then 8-year-old daughters went to St. Edwards Island on an 'Anne trip'. So much fun, and we all loved it. Neither my daughters nor niece liked the Little House books, which wounded me as a total bonnet head who imagined my childhood being illustrated by Garth Williams, so I'm glad they all love Anne. 

8 hours ago, illdoc said:

Planning on re-reading "The Phantom Tollbooth", when I get a chance. I remember that I enjoyed it when I read it the first time (as a pre-teen/early teen). I looked through its wikipedia page and realized (a) I would enjoy it as an adult (40 some years after reading it the first time) and (b) I have no idea why I enjoyed it as a youngster, since I don't think I would have understood the references (such as understanding how you get to the Island of Conclusions). I'm sure I've read it more than once, but it has definitely been a while since the last time.

I re-read it last year when mini-Toothbrush #1 read it. I remember enjoying it when I was 12 and he thought it was ok but liked it overall. I will encourage him to re-read it in 35 years!  

7 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

She wrote my favorite nonfiction book, The Poisoner’s Handbook, about the beginnings of forensic death investigation in Jazz Age NYC. That one sounds like it might be boring, but it is anything but! Each chapter tells a story relating to a different poison, some deliberately and maliciously given, some accidental, some governmental, some corporate. The stories include the Radium Girls, how lead got into gasoline, the inspiration for The Postman Always Rings Twice, the deadly additives and alternatives in bootleg liquor, all really fascinating.

I think it sounds fascinating, and I added it to my Kindle I read about it several months ago. Possibly here, by you. Hopefully I will be able to get to it by summer; I have so little time to read these days. The story of the Radium Girls is so very tragic.  

1 hour ago, opus said:

But never pass up the opportunity to make a dick joke.

You & my husband 🙄😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, I do tend to go on about that book! It is just soooo good, though. 

I read about those two ladies’ Versailles time trip back when I was a kid, probably in one of the People’s Almanac ripoffs that were popular in the late ‘70s. I always figured it was a fantasy, like the guy who supposedly photographed fairies, but it was fun to imagine being true. 

• Love 1
On 4/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, Browncoat said:

My go-to sandwich there is roast beef.

Smoked turkey and provolone on French with house dressing and a side of house dressing!

On 4/13/2019 at 10:22 AM, zoey1996 said:

[Cheese Shop]  Vernor's Ginger Ale has somewhat of a cult following, and you can usually get some there. 

We always get Blenheim Ginger Ale. Hot (husband) and Not As Hot (me). 🤣

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Yeah, I do tend to go on about that book! It is just soooo good, though. 

I read about those two ladies’ Versailles time trip back when I was a kid, probably in one of the People’s Almanac ripoffs that were popular in the late ‘70s. I always figured it was a fantasy, like the guy who supposedly photographed fairies, but it was fun to imagine being true. 

I am looking forward to reading it.

I hadn't heard of the Versailles time trip until it was referenced on a sow on, I think, The Travel Channel. I don't even think it was a matter of them convincing themselves that they saw what they saw, IMO it was a straight-up falsehood. Designed I guess to appeal to the interest in the paranormal which was very popular at that time. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone know the recipe for that Cheese Shop house dressing?

I think I have the recipe at home.  I'll look this evening and let you know.  And post it, too, of course!  Feel free to remind me as often as necessary until I remember!  🙂

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I think I have the recipe at home.  I'll look this evening and let you know.

Thanks @Browncoat. I like trying different things, and everyone here is loving that dressing. I recently discovered a store not too far from me (25 highway miles one way is close) sells Duke's mayonnaise. And this is Hellmann's country! So that's on my list too.

For @Prevailing Wind:

Hugh-Mongous-Monument.JPG.8173a5c9feee5caef330d37872e225df.JPG

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1

Terrible weather here in NOLA today, but I still got to go out for some red beans and rice. Was smart and took advantage of yesterday’s good weather to go praline shopping for @saber5055. They wanted over 25$ to mail them so you’ll have to wait until I get home to mail them. As to the above reference to Dukes mayo; I’ll throw a jar of that in your care package as well. 

So I'm waiting a hour for this round of storms to pass then out back into the Big Easy. Bummer that so much of Jazz Fest is cancelled due to the rain. 

• Love 3

Holy cow, @Mindthinkr! You are the best. That stinks about the rain in NOLA. I can feel the humidity now, even up here on the tundra where I live. I'd combat that with a couple of Hurricanes at some French Quarter nightclub. Or maybe they aren't called that anymore, after Katrina.

Check in again soon! I love hearing about vacations.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I love Duke's mayo.

Stay safe in NOLA, @Mindthinkr!

Funny you should say that. My first night here (mind you I used to live here and NYC so I thought I was fairly savvy). Some guy grabbed me. I didn’t know him.  He tried to drag me off. I still have bruises on my wrist. I began to say loudly that I didn’t choose to go anywhere with him. Thankfully some random bouncer outside of another place saw, heard and grabbed him and told him to let me go. I didn’t look back but hightailed it to my hotel. Talk about a close call. For those of you that don’t know me...I’m small (4’8” and 83lbs), travel alone, but have gone to over 25 country’s without this happening. I’m shocked. Now a bit scared and only willing to venture during daytime hours. My friend , who was supposed to be with me had her Dad go on a ventilator the day I arrived so I don’t expect her to make choices.  Color me scared but since this is anonymous I don’t mind telling y’all that I am. Besides the rain my vacation has been dampened. Sorry for venting. 

14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Funny you should say that. My first night here (mind you I used to live here and NYC so I thought I was fairly savvy). Some guy grabbed me. I didn’t know him.  He tried to drag me off. I still have bruises on my wrist. I began to say loudly that I didn’t choose to go anywhere with him. Thankfully some random bouncer outside of another place saw, heard and grabbed him and told him to let me go. I didn’t look back but hightailed it to my hotel. Talk about a close call. For those of you that don’t know me...I’m small (4’8” and 83lbs), travel alone, but have gone to over 25 country’s without this happening. I’m shocked. Now a bit scared and only willing to venture during daytime hours. My friend , who was supposed to be with me had her Dad go on a ventilator the day I arrived so I don’t expect her to make choices.  Color me scared but since this is anonymous I don’t mind telling y’all that I am. Besides the rain my vacation has been dampened. Sorry for venting. 

That's absolutely terrifying! I've been going to NOLA as an adult since the early 90s, for meetings and conferences, I've stayed in various parts of the city, but never traveled alone. We now have family there who live Uptown, no room for us so we stay on St. Charles either in the Garden District or Uptown. So sorry for your experience.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I love Duke's mayo.

Me, too. I grew up in Richmond VA where Duke's is made. I'm not sure I even knew about other mayonnaise brands! When I moved to FL I thought I would have to go with some other brand, but no, luckily Publix carries it and now that I am in MS, Kroger does, so I  have never had to give up my Dukes! Now what I do miss(and my brother used to send it to me but I don't think they make it anymore) is Duke's relish. It is sorta' like tarter sauce but much, much better! I used to love relish sandwiches...just bread and relish! Another favorite thing is mayonnaise cake...the best, most moist, most chocolatey cake in the world!

And am I the only person who thinks of An Officer and A Gentleman when you hear mayonnaise?

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

That's a great thing to shout!  I'm sorry you had to shout it, though.  Although, honestly, I had just read about the severe weather in Texas and Louisiana, and was more concerned about that than kidnappers.

Also, vent away, whenever you need to.

• Love 1

Oh, and since I remembered, here's the closest recipe I can get to the Cheese Shop house dressing.  It's called "William & Mary Sandwich Sauce, and it's from the William & Mary Cookbook (which I bought for $16.93!).  The subheading for the recipe says, "As inspired by the famous Cheese Shop sandwiches".

1 quart mayonnaise

1 bottle (8.2oz) Sharwood's steak sauce (no idea -- I've never actually made this recipe)

4 oz spicy brown mustard

4 oz hot and sweet mustard or honey Dijon mustard

Mix it up and keep it chilled.

The footnote says you can substitute your favorite brand of steak sauce if you can't find what they suggest.

Oh, MAN, @Mindthinkr, what a way to ruin your vacation if not future travels alone. Invest in some pepper spray and carry it when you go out.

I've always traveled alone, all across and up and down the U.S. I've never encountered any problems, although I'm 5-10, athletic, and have a look that says "Go ahead and try something so I can kick your ass." I know this because when I used to go out with girlfriends, they would all get hit on (or picked up!) and I would be left to go home alone. When I asked my friends about it, they all said I have an "Eff you" aura so I scare off the guys. I actually would try to kick some guy's ass if I were accosted so I guess it's true. (And no, I wasn't a butterface, I used to be a photographer's model and never broke any cameras. That I know of.)

The only time I got weirded out was walking from Nogales, Arizona to Nogales, Mexico. I had planned to go into all the shops for some great bargains, but once in Mexico I felt uneasy, so I walked around a few blocks non-stop, then back into Arizona. It was just a feeling, but one I had never had before. So I paid attention.

The only other "strange encounter" I had was in southern Indiana on my way to Kentucky, about 3 a.m. I pulled into a rest area planning on spending the night there. There were three or four little picnic shelters, all with lights, scattered along the roadway in. Under each of the lights was one man per shelter, all doing "poses" as I drove by. I figured I was not in their demographic, but still, I drove on into Kentucky to spend the night.

@Prevailing Wind, your vaca blog is FANTASTIC. I especially liked your Arkansas one since I spent all my summer vacas from a wee kid through college on my aunt and uncle's farm in the Ouachitas. Way back before Interstate highways, my mom driving and me in the back seat of her Studebaker convertible, we took highway 67 down Illinois, through St. Louis and into Arkansas. Two hundred miles out of Walnut Ridge, there started a series of billboards in the shape of a salad bowl stating how many miles/minutes to the Salad Bowl restaurant. So, of course, we stopped at the Salad Bowl for lunch on every trip. Once we spent the night in Walnut Ridge, that was a big event.

One of our more memorable trips was taking the Toad Suck Ferry across the Arkansas River. The ferry was retired in 1970. I remember that trip quite well, even though I was a wee tyke at the time. My mom was bold driving that big Studebaker onto the wooden ferry. I was deathly afraid of bridges and water so I think I blacked out for most of the float across the river once we drove on board. But it was the talking point of our vacation for that year and years to come.

Thanks for that recipe @Browncoat. I will def make some and report back. Yum!

• Love 3

I was actually thinking of retiring to Wytheville, until I learned of the dearth of grocery stores. I'm used to Publix, which is a slightly cheaper version of Wegman's. I really loved that herbal/butterfly place south of Wytheville.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my trip "journals."  Since I'm not going this year until mid-August, it'll be a while before the next one is posted. LOL. During any Road Trip, I usually post about two pics per day on my cat's FB account (Stella B. Katz*), and do the wordpress blog after I get home.

*I think anyone who uses their real name on the internet is asking for trouble. I don't *want* people from high school finding me, anyway. The people from my past that I want to be in touch with...I already am, so I don't need to announce to anybody with an internet connection who the hell I am. So I use Stella's account on FB.  When Bosco had a FB account, he was Bosco Schwartz (since he's such a shiny black cat, I thought "Schwartz" was appropriate.)

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I don't even have a Facebook account.

I have one so I can get free things from companies, but I post nothing (just an ID photo of dog and horse). It's amazing how many people have found me though, in spite of me having the same name as dozens of people around the United States. I guess it's the dog/horse pics that give it away if someone really searches for me. I only know people in those worlds. I've gotten more than 40 friend requests and have responded to ... none. I dislike the burden that FB puts on people, having to "like" everything or people get offended and "unfriend" you. Gah. Too high school for me. If someone wants to know what I'm doing, they can call or email. (Which is why my phone does not ring and my emails are all spams.)

ETA: I got a friend request once from a dog friend's cat. I did not reply, of course, but now I wonder if she was using her cat's name like you do, PW.

On your WV trip, I was really offended by the ivory hunters maiming that lovely elephant. Horrid people are everywhere. At least they left her one tusk. Other things made me laugh, like you not rolling your window down all the way to take a photo at Interstate speed over the Mighty Miss. Nicely done.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2

Even though I travel alone, I have fun. I can't wait for this year's trip to coastal Maine (and some New Brunswick, Canada!)

One of my favorite shows is on Amazon (only the first 3 seasons; they've completed 4). It's called "Still Standing" - Jonny Harris of "Murdoch Mysteries" travels to tiny towns in Canada that, by all lights, should have died, but they're "still standing."  He spends time with the residents, participating in local events (I don't think there's anything that man won't do, including belly dancing,) and then does a stand-up routine of gentle humor about the town and its inhabitants. If I were younger, that would be my ideal job. Documentaries about Road Trips. With jokes. It doesn't get any better.

• Love 4

PW, your travel blog made me think of where I stayed in Arkansas, Board Camp. Just north of there is a teeny tiny town named Ink, Arkansas. I was told it got its name because, when residents were given a ballot to vote on a name for their town, at the top of the ballot it said, "Please write in ink." So they did.

I love all the kitschy things you visit on your travels like the metal t-rex and the praying mantis with a scanner code on her butt. There used to be a show on PBS about such things, like the Mother Goose shoe house and teepee motels. I loved that show.

I've had a lot of weird buildings on my list (all mostly in the eastern time zone) and I've seen them all except the Duck building on Long Island. I'm planning on seeing that one this year. I start my trip planning early, starting off with RoadsideAmerica.com to find all the weird crap.  😄 For me, it's the best site for Road Trip planning. I like the weird stuff. (Yet I didn't care for Austin. Go figure.)

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've seen them all except the Duck building on Long Island. I'm planning on seeing that one this year.

I guess you probably won't get there around the holidays, but they do decorate the Big Duck.

BigDuckHDR05-XL.jpg

JM_2010_12_02_Big_Duck_002-XL.jpg

I spent most of my life on Long Island, if you have any questions, give me a shout.  If you are heading out east to see the Big Duck, you should also check out Stargazer.

JM_2008_02_19_Stargazer_001-XL.jpg

I've heard that it was in some disrepair a couple of years ago, but it sounded like they were working on repairs.  I haven't been on the Island since last summer, and haven't been out in that area in even longer, so I can't say how it looks today, but it's probably worth checking it out.

Roadside America is a great site to find quirky stuff.

I see you spent some time in Blytheville, AR last year.  I was never there, but back in my Air Force days, Blythville AFB was operational, and we refueled B-52s out of there a fair amount.  It was usually referred to as Hooterville, from the town in Petticoat Junction and Green Acres.

• LOL 1

Oh, cool!  If I have time, I'll definitely take it in. I'm coming from NorthEast, MD (close to the DE line) through LI and then take the ferry at Orient Point over to Connecticut, then on to the hotel in W. Greenwich, RI.  I'm hoping I can do it all in a reasonable amount of time. I'm counting on starting early enough to avoid anybody's rush hour. (Although, if Atlanta is any example, it's ALWAYS rush hour.)

• LOL 1

Yeah, there really isn't a good time to get through NYC.  Based on your plans, you should hit Stargazer first, then the Big Duck is about 15 miles further out in the direction you'll be going to get to the ferry.

• Love 1

I've been meaning to go see the Duck for years but it's either take the ferry or drive through the NYC area. Either way, it's a long way to go just for the Duck--if it was part of a longer trip, like @Prevailing Wind, it would be worth it. I haven't seen Lucy the Elephant in NJ, either, although I want to.

• Love 2

That was also the year I took the Cape May-Lewes ferry to Delaware. Oh, my, that was fun! Especially when it looked like we were being chased by a Coast Guard Cutter.  But, no, it was just going faster than we were and passed us.

I would not have known about the ferry if I hadn't had a paper map. You just can't "browse" google maps or mapquest the way you can a paper map - and there it was...a ferry across Delaware Bay. It cut a LOT of driving off my trip and gave me more time to see other stuff. Lewes is a seriously cute town and one of the most dog-friendly municipalities I've ever seen. Saber5055, you'd love it.  There's a B&B there, the Lazy L at Willow Creek, that encourages you to bring your dogs. There are watering stations everywhere, an outdoor shower to wash the beach sand off your doggo, extra sheets to cover the beds because they KNOW the doggos are gonna get up there, etc.  It was fun, even for a cat person, to see all those pups.

• Love 4