Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I literally just typed that phrase in a post on the main thread.  That probably should have been over here anyway.

Well, it's not like I invented it! You are welcome to use it anywhere you wish. Even if it is my life's story. Ha ha!

• Love 2

In the sleep study I just had, I asked and she (the tech) said she'd be watching & listening all night, so just tell her & she'll come turn on the light & un-hook me.  So I did that - I rolled onto my back, waved my hand in the air and said, "Hello? I need to use the restroom."  (God knows, with a night like that, I could some Rest in a Restroom.) She said I should start to sit up as she comes down the hall. As I sat up, the leads that were attached to my left leg (to monitor leg movements in case of restless leg) fell off, so I had to be really careful how I walked into the loo.

All the leads are plugged into this thing that looks like a giant remote that you take to bed with you. She unplugged "the box" remote-looking thing so all my leads were still attached to me and the "remote" box.  I also had a rubber finger-tip thingie on my left index finger which made it very hard to negotiate lowering & raising of PJ bottoms and hand-washing was ignored.  When I got back into bed, she re-attached all the things that had come loose - those two leads on my leg and the 'body movement monitor' hanging off the belt around my chest that measured how deeply I breathe.

I'd recently heard that a lot of people with insomnia think they don't sleep at all, but they do - they just keep dreaming that they're awake. I'm not sure how true that is - being so-called awake, I still hear the cuckoo clock - but that may have been what happened during the study. I could swear I was awake most of the night, but I also know I was dreaming about my late mom, so I guess I slept some. Tech woke me at 6 AM. I think I fell into a really deep sleep after the trip to the loo and the re-settling of the pillow.

When I got home and eventually took my shower, I put about 3 times the amount of conditioner I usually use and combed it all through my tangled/gooed-up hair. Leads had been stuck to my head over my hair, so there was a lot of that goo left over. After the conditioner, THEN I shampooed twice and my hair came out all nice & clean. I was really worried about that.  And now I wait for them to compile the report, so we can know WTH is wrong with me.  Fingers crossed.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

In the sleep study I just had, I asked and she (the tech) said she'd be watching & listening all night, so just tell her & she'll come turn on the light & un-hook me.  So I did that - I rolled onto my back, waved my hand in the air and said, "Hello? I need to use the restroom."  (God knows, with a night like that, I could some Rest in a Restroom.) She said I should start to sit up as she comes down the hall. As I sat up, the leads that were attached to my left leg (to monitor leg movements in case of restless leg) fell off, so I had to be really careful how I walked into the loo.

All the leads are plugged into this thing that looks like a giant remote that you take to bed with you. She unplugged "the box" remote-looking thing so all my leads were still attached to me and the "remote" box.  I also had a rubber finger-tip thingie on my left index finger which made it very hard to negotiate lowering & raising of PJ bottoms and hand-washing was ignored.  When I got back into bed, she re-attached all the things that had come loose - those two leads on my leg and the 'body movement monitor' hanging off the belt around my chest that measured how deeply I breathe.

I'd recently heard that a lot of people with insomnia think they don't sleep at all, but they do - they just keep dreaming that they're awake. I'm not sure how true that is - being so-called awake, I still hear the cuckoo clock - but that may have been what happened during the study. I could swear I was awake most of the night, but I also know I was dreaming about my late mom, so I guess I slept some. Tech woke me at 6 AM. I think I fell into a really deep sleep after the trip to the loo and the re-settling of the pillow.

When I got home and eventually took my shower, I put about 3 times the amount of conditioner I usually use and combed it all through my tangled/gooed-up hair. Leads had been stuck to my head over my hair, so there was a lot of that goo left over. After the conditioner, THEN I shampooed twice and my hair came out all nice & clean. I was really worried about that.  And now I wait for them to compile the report, so we can know WTH is wrong with me.  Fingers crossed.

Crossing fingers.

I know that there have been times I thought I was awake for hours, but then I remember something I "thought" during that time and it was clearly from a dream.

• Love 1

They don't need much sleep time to get a good reading.  I may have slept 5 hours total in my study.  The doctor had me come back in for the results and mentioned how often I was waking up each hour.  He then scheduled me for part two of the study where they fitted me for a CPAP mask.  I picked one that was the most comfortable then wore it to sleep.  During the night, they adjusted the CPAP machine's titration until they found the lowest pressure needed to keep me from waking up in the night.  The doctor then wrote me a prescription for a CPAP machine with the optimum titration setting, and I went to a medical equipment supplier to have it filled.  I got one with a water tank humidifier, because I have a lot of allergies.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I don’t know what forum this would go to, but I remember this winner from a few years ago - a professor who had a seven-day streak- but apparently she had a sinister side.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/17/jeopardy-winner-could-get-prison-for-sneaking-into-emails/

I didn’t like her even then. She had a phony facade and I found her attempts at rapport with Alex annoying.

I noticed the article, but didn't remember her. But I tend to forget the (to me) unremarkable ones -even if they had a seven day streak.

• Love 2

I remember her pretty well. I liked her fine as a champ, no annoying tics that bothered me. But what a dumb thing she did. Apparently, being smart enough to be a seven-day J! champ doesn't necessarily prevent a person from behaving in a really stupid manner. 

• Love 1
On 6/18/2018 at 2:56 PM, peeayebee said:

This one isn't a great example, because the person answering obviously knows if Alex is a boy or girl.

Off-topic of the off-topic, but for what it's worth, generally people who use they/them pronouns would say that they aren't a boy or a girl.  Gender fluid and nonbinary are two of the common terms. 

• Love 2

I don't remember that seven-time champion, that was six years ago. But this really made me go WTH:

"Authorities said Jass logged into other people’s email accounts without permission over a four-day period last year after the college reset everyone’s passwords and assigned everyone the same temporary password."

That's WTH worthy from here to eternity. WTH was wrong with that IT department giving everyone the same password? WTH was wrong with the college admin letting everyone have the same freaking password? WTH about all the other people who sneaked looks while they had the opportunity. It's a fact (and a standing joke) that people peak into bathroom cabinets when they are at someone's house. And WTH leaving temp passwords (the same one for everyone!) up for at least four freaking days?

I don't think this person is "sinister" at all. She's just the only one who got busted for doing what everyone else did.

That IT manager is the one who needs to be fired.

• Love 5
On 6/21/2018 at 5:21 PM, saber5055 said:

I don't think this person is "sinister" at all. She's just the only one who got busted for doing what everyone else did.

Yes the IT department was wrong to do this. But I have to disagree, if this happened at my work I would respect my colleagues' privacy. And if everyone at work did what she did, would they just be charging her? Sorry, I think she's as creepy as hell.

• Love 4

Who's running the local stations?  Today's episode from Des Moines ended with just FJ left to go, so they could cover the beginning of a motorcade for a former governor's funeral.  Granted, the governor was extremely popular and did many good things (in the 70's and 80's), but it could have waited.  It wasn't the beginning of a funeral/memorial -- it was the beginning of the motorcade.  So instead of seeing whether Wes managed to win #4, we watch limos leaving a funeral home. 

Wasn't sure where was the best place to ask this but -

In an effort to 'cut the cord' we got rid of satellite tv, got an antenna and roku/sling - so am now without a way to record Jeopardy! which comes on before I get home from work  :(  (at least until we spring for an over the air dvr)

Did I see someone say on the main thread that we can watch current episodes on YouTube? 

I MISS it! 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, illini1959 said:

(at least until we spring for an over the air dvr)

Good luck finding one! I think I saw one for $300 somewhere. We have been without one for a few years now (ever since the "R" of our o-t-a dvr died).

8 hours ago, illini1959 said:

Wasn't sure where was the best place to ask this but -

In an effort to 'cut the cord' we got rid of satellite tv, got an antenna and roku/sling - so am now without a way to record Jeopardy! which comes on before I get home from work  :(  (at least until we spring for an over the air dvr)

Did I see someone say on the main thread that we can watch current episodes on YouTube? 

I MISS it! 

When I've missed it I usually Google YouTube Jeopardy July 17, 2018 (or the appropriate date) and can usually find it.

Sling TV has a cloud DVR you can subscribe to for an extra $5/month.  It will record even if you're watching over the air TV or another channel or your TV is completely off.  It's limited to 50 hours of recorded shows, but if you're primarily using it for Jeopardy, that should be enough.

14 hours ago, illdoc said:

Good luck finding one! I think I saw one for $300 somewhere. We have been without one for a few years now (ever since the "R" of our o-t-a dvr died).

I know :( 

'Cutting the cable/satellite cord' is spendy. 

14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

When I've missed it I usually Google YouTube Jeopardy July 17, 2018 (or the appropriate date) and can usually find it.

Sling TV has a cloud DVR you can subscribe to for an extra $5/month.  It will record even if you're watching over the air TV or another channel or your TV is completely off.  It's limited to 50 hours of recorded shows, but if you're primarily using it for Jeopardy, that should be enough.

We'll check out YouTube, thank you.

We have the cloud dvr but our ota channels are on an antenna so I didn't think it would pick that up. It does record just like the dvr we had from directv, when tv is off, etc., so far that's worked out. It's just the local antenna channels. 

There's no option to record for the channel we get Jeopardy! on, that I can see...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, illini1959 said:

I know :( 

'Cutting the cable/satellite cord' is spendy. 

We'll check out YouTube, thank you.

We have the cloud dvr but our ota channels are on an antenna so I didn't think it would pick that up. It does record just like the dvr we had from directv, when tv is off, etc., so far that's worked out. It's just the local antenna channels. 

There's no option to record for the channel we get Jeopardy! on, that I can see...

Oh, blast!  Of course, you're right - it won't record your OTA channels.  Sorry.  :-(

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Oh, blast!  Of course, you're right - it won't record your OTA channels.  Sorry.  :-(

No worries. Thanks for trying. We will try YouTube - anything until we pony up for an OTA recorder :)

• Love 2

The problem I have is my DVR doesn't have a connector port that matches the antenna wire's end. I looked into this so long ago, I was at Radio Shack. The guy there told me I'd need to buy a converter box. I don't want ANOTHER box in my living room, thank you.  I wonder if they've come up with another option since then.

Oh, goodie! Some more research I can do to postpone housework!!

• Love 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ave is my DVR doesn't have a connector port that matches the antenna wire's end.

Assuming you mean that the antenna has the two, u-shaped end connectors that you use screws to connect to the machine (and the dvr only has that single cable port), there is a connector you can buy--it's small. You screw the antenna ends to that, and that can be plugged into the machine (used it all the time--we too have an antenna, not cable). It was a long time ago that we got it (and probably got it from Radio Shack). Search for "Antenna Connector" at Amazon (this is what I'm talking about)image.png.e3939ead6cc46ae30f13f39ff488aa90.png   

Edited by illdoc
changed photo
  • Love 1

Not sure where to post this, but--is anyone else here playing J6? If so, in today's (10/8) game, did you get told repeatedly you were wrong when you were sure you were right? For example, I was told that fried cornmeal mush patties were called "Still Puppies" and not "Hush Puppies," and that the play about the conflict between Henry VIII and Sir Thomas More was "The Lion in Winter" rather than "A Man for All Seasons."

@GreekGeek, I stopped playing J6 when it went wacky on me, repeating Monday's game every day from Wednesday on, plus telling me "time's up" after I chose the correct answer and therefore counting me wrong. It just got to be a waste of time. But I played just now and all the answers came up correct, including "hush puppies" and "A Man For All Seasons."

I'm glad the game has transferred its hate from me to you.

35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

@GreekGeek, I stopped playing J6 when it went wacky on me, repeating Monday's game every day from Wednesday on, plus telling me "time's up" after I chose the correct answer and therefore counting me wrong. It just got to be a waste of time. But I played just now and all the answers came up correct, including "hush puppies" and "A Man For All Seasons."

I'm glad the game has transferred its hate from me to you.

I just played it again and this time the same answers came up correct. Go figure!

2 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I just played it again and this time the same answers came up correct. Go figure!

I wonder if show PAs are reading here. Or there are ghosts in the machine. Either one works for me.

p.s. I got the J6 Cristiano Ronaldo answer correct given he was charged with rape a couple days ago and Juventus is not happy.

I just started reading the evil book - The Complete Angler.   I figured after 14 years, its time.   But get this - Izaak Walton is buried in Winchester Cathedral!  The same place as Jane Austen.  

Heh, which means I've probably visited his grave when I visited the Cathedral years ago. 

• Love 2

Little Sorrel: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/3611

The museum's in the basement. They let you take photos. At least, they did when I was there in the late 90s.

I used to be the first one up on Saturdays just to watch the westerns that came on before the cartoons. I'd sit on the floor in front of the TV, eating cold leftovers (because I actually LIKED cold spaghetti, corn, etc.) and watching the horses. And, yeah, we watched a LOT of those B&W shows. I've actually bought the boxed set of the entire Maverick series. Oh, I was 8 years old and would have gladly died to meet Bret Maverick! When Garner's first movie was released, ("Up Periscope") I saw an ad on Sat AM TV & rapidly found paper & pencil to write down the title of the movie and I remember taping it to the piano, so my mom would see it.  Didn't have to prod my dad - he'd go/do whatever my mom had planned for us, including picking out the movies to go see.

My mother's parents lived next door. One evening we went over to visit and Nana wouldn't talk to us because her favorite show was on. Being Romanian, she didn't have the best grasp of English, so we heard her tell us about how much she loved Bonzana. Not a typo. Bonzana. How did we miss seeing this show? I know we watched Dinah Shore on Sunday nights (my grandpa had a crush on her), so we must have NOT watched Bonanza in protest - it's the show that replaced The Dinah Shore Chevy Show. Eventually, though, we stopped laughing at Hoss's hat and grew to enjoy the Cartwrights.  My cousin was married to a guy who fancied that he looked like Hugh O'Brian, so we watched Wyatt Earp just to compare him to cousin Johnny. O'Brian won, hands down.

• Love 4

Great post, PW, and thanks for the link to Little Sorrel. His story is sure something, and sad that people today (probably) have never heard of him. Also interesting how people came to see him, I can't imagine anyone today looking up from their phones long enough to look at a "stupid horse." But that's how life was back in that day, of course he was a huge attraction. I recently wrote an article on Jay-Eye-See, a race horse owned by J.I. Case, the tractor magnet. He is the only horse to hold world records in trotting and pacing, and when he retired people flocked to the farm to see him, more than 300 people every Sunday, and he was a headline attraction at the state fair and other venues. When Mr. Case tried to pay by check at a New York store, it was refused. He told the store owner he made threshing machines. No deal, no check. But when he told him he owned Jay-Eye-See, the man welcomed him and told Mr. Case he could have the store.

I wonder about Little Sorrel's remains being buried near Jackson's statue given the current atmosphere of removing Confederate monuments.

We are twins about Saturday mornings, although I guess I didn't get up that early, but I sat on the floor watching the cartoons all morning. The westerns came on in the afternoon, so after lunch I would return to my floor space to watch them. My mom had a huge crush on Bret Maverick, so I understand what you are saying! I sort of felt sorry for Bart since when it was his week, everyone would think, "Oh, it's BART. Eh." Ha ha! I also wasn't much for Beau. But there was something about Mr. Garner, that's for sure.

We watched Bonanza every Sunday night. Remember tv trays? We were allowed to set them up and eat our dinner in the living room so we could watch. I had a huge crush on Little Joe, but who didn't. Watching the reruns now, I see Hoss is the kind brother, nice and gentle, and he is the one I would marry if I had a choice between Hoss and Joe. But when I was young, it was all about looks. Hoss (and his hat!) were just there sort of for laughs back then I guess.

You had a piano! An upright, of course! Everyone did. And I'm guessing Bonanza helped your Nana learn English.

Thanks again for a great post and trip down Memory Lane.

• Love 2

Count another one whose mom had the hots for James Garner.  She'd say "He can put his shoes under my bed anytime".  Mom!  Mom also liked Chuck Connors, The Rifleman.

My crush was Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates.  Nick Adams as The Rebel, Johnny Yuma -- he was cute too.

So many westerns -- something for every taste.

Bonanza -- so sad, knowing what would happen to any woman lucky (?) enough to draw the attention of a man from the Ponderosa.

• Love 4

My Aunt and Uncle loved Bonanza so much they named their cabin the Ponderosa. Count me in on people who had a crush on James Garner. Especially his Rockford Files show. Thank goodness for Deadwood. At least it has some good cowboys for those us us that never outgrew the type. 

• Love 3

I watched James Garner in everything, but especially when I was a kid and we rented videos (and the VCR!) we got two of his movies over and over--Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunman.  If you like Garner and haven't seen them you should find some time.  Westerns with humor and charm.

• Love 2

I find "Local Sheriff" hard to watch now, knowing Joan Hackett committed suicide. But, holy cow, look at how young Bruce Dern is, staying in a cell with no door.

Garner's the only reason I watched "8 Simple Rules" - he came on as Grandpa after John Ritter died. But looking back at the old Maverick shows, y'know, Bart really wasn't that hard on the eyes, either. Now I'm amused when I see Jack Kelly and they do a semi-close up of his hands - it's definitely him - and there's a white stripe in his tan where he moved his wedding ring to his pinky for filming.

One of my other all-time favorite westerns is "Silverado" - I can (and do) watch that one over and over. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by a Kevin Kline movie. And another impossibly young Kevin Costner! "All I did was kiss a girl!"

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And as cheesy as it is, I can watch Murphy's Romance over and over.

I never found it cheesy, I can watch it over and over, imagining I'm Sally Fields and James Garner (age not important) is chasing/flirting with me while we train horses together. Talk about a good time. My imagination never fails to give me that.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But looking back at the old Maverick shows, y'know, Bart really wasn't that hard on the eyes, either.

I agree! It's interesting how I see attractiveness levels differently now than when I was a kid or a teen. I agree Bart is a fine specimen of a future crush. Ha ha. Just like now I appreciate Hoss Cartwright more than Little Joe. Now I have to find a Bart Maverick rerun to check out his ring finger. Nice catch on that!

My favorite Saturday morning show was Fury, which has never been on reruns, at least in my market. So I found some old episodes on YouTube. Gosh, talk about cheesy story lines and no attention to detail, or budget for detail. Like Joey rides off on Fury bareback and next scene the horse is wearing a saddle. But as a kid I never noticed.

I also liked Sky King back in the day. I need to see if some of those are online too.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My favorite Saturday morning show was Fury, which has never been on reruns, at least in my market. So I found some old episodes on YouTube. Gosh, talk about cheesy story lines and no attention to detail, or budget for detail. Like Joey rides off on Fury bareback and next scene the horse is wearing a saddle. But as a kid I never noticed.

I also liked Sky King back in the day. I need to see if some of those are online too.

YES, Fury was first up after the cartoons, then Sky King and Rin Tin Tin.  Roy and Dale were in there somewhere, too.  Sometime during the week there was a rotation of Bronco, Cheyenne, and Sugarfoot.  Will Hutchins was a cutie.  Also Paladin, Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp.  But my faves were The Rebel and Steve McQueen, Wanted Dead or Alive.  I had a toy gun JUST LIKE JOSH RANDALL'S!!!

And Maverick....always a letdown when it was Jack Kelly.

• Love 2

Do you know anyone who won a game show?  A friend of mine was on "Concentration" in the 1970s or 1980s and won a washing machine and a couch.  By the time we met, the machine was defunct but I sat on the couch to watch a videotape of her game.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Driad said:

Do you know anyone who won a game show?  A friend of mine was on "Concentration" in the 1970s or 1980s and won a washing machine and a couch.  By the time we met, the machine was defunct but I sat on the couch to watch a videotape of her game.

My son's middle school quiz bowl teammate won kid's jeopardy. Set a record at the time. Not sure if it still stands.

• Love 2

Some friends of our family were on "Family Feud" in the 70s, maybe early 80s (Richard Dawson version). They did really well, too, winning several games. I don't remember details as I was a small child, but it's one of those things that comes up every once in a while, most recently when the matriarch of their family died this past spring. A reality show participant is a family friend and did the hair & make-up for my wedding. 

I've had a long-time crush on James Garner too, and he was born the year after my mom's dad!

• Love 2

A friend of mine was a PA/intern on that talent show some years ago that Sawyer Brown was on and got famous from. Sawyer Brown came to play at his wedding after he (and they) were done with the show. That's as close as I get to anyone famous, a few Kevin Bacons away.

Paladin ... too funny about his first name being "Wire." I watched that show but never had an attraction to Richard Boone. Just ... no. Same with Bat Masterson. Watched, but no crush. The handsome sidekicks were what made watching more enjoyable for this kid. And I totally agree on Robert Fuller, Will Hutchinson, Steve McQueen ... big YESes to those hotties! And oh, yes, Rowdy Yates.

On 12/3/2018 at 4:14 PM, saber5055 said:

I loved Fury too.  I was horse crazy.  Lucky for me, I grew up on a farm, and Dad liked horses too, so he leased one from a horse guy near our town, and she was my 4-H project for several years.

On Starz Westerns, they showed Season 1, Episode 1 of Wagon Train yesterday.  Seth Adams, and Charlie Wooster without his beard - cool! Ernest Borgnine was the guest star.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Ernest Borgnine was the guest star.

Borgnine was a guest star in a S1 Little House I saw last week, playing a hermit mountain man. Laura ran away and stayed with him for some days, which I found extremely creepy. But it was a different time back then. Both in Little House days and the 1970s!

• Love 1