Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Fresh Patch, Balm Chicky, Drain Strain, BedJet

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

A man from Davenport, Fla., seeks an investment in his grass delivery service for pet owners. Also: a device to eliminate clogged sinks; a worry-free way to share lip balm without sharing germs; a climate-control system for beds; and an update on Barbara Corcoran's investment in Tom+Chee from Season 4.

Special Tuesday episode

$9 lip balm?  No thank you.

And who knew you could make a business out of selling a patch of grass to dog owners.  But I do wish people would stop telling us that they have to get a deal, otherwise their family won't survive.  I just hate those back stories and wish they would stop.  Give me one more pitch instead.  I'd rather hear about another product than watch another family play on swings.

• Love 11

Is sharing lip balm common? This seemed like a solution in search of a problem. Granted they had a patent for a tube that twists at one end and is stationary on the other, but maybe that patent was available because there really isn't a need for that type of delivery system. I was shocked that there's a thriving market for grass patches for your housebound pet. I really didn't understand how the sink clog thing worked; was its sole purpose to catch hair in that basket-like thing? If so, it's pretty easy to keep hair from going down your drain, and that gizmo wouldn't help when your clog is due to a build-up of soap residue and other gunk. The Bedjet was wildly overpriced; I thought it would be around $250.

Even though I think she had a point, I loved seeing Lori get all pissed off when her question was repeatedly pushed aside. She will not be ignored! 

The Tom + Chee guys have certainly done well for themselves!

Edited by designing1
  • Love 3

I don't see the need for that lip balm. If you want to share it would be cheaper to just buy 2 cheap tubes and use one and let others borrow the other one.

I was surprised that the sod for a dog was a new idea. I assumed others had thought of that before if they just had a small balcony and a dog.

I laughed when the guy said Robert was his wife's fav shark. I bet she doesn't think he is a pilot fish.

• Love 3

I didn't get the lip balm either. I never share mine. And on the friend side, wouldn't it get contaminated with people sticking their fingers in it??

I'd buy that mattress heater/cooler. It's a lot cheaper than the YuMe bed! 

The Tom + Chee guys have certainly done well for themselves!

If you ever get a chance to go to a Tom + Chee, you really should. Fantastic! Having said that, I was surprised to learn exactly how fast they're growing. I hope they don't suffer from a case of "too big too fast".

I've been keeping a tube of lip balm stashed in my purse/work bag for over ten years and I've never had an issue with someone trying to steal it from me and use it before I could stop them. Maybe I just have better friends/family.

I didn't see the point of the grass thing, but then again, I have a backyard and no dog, so I'm not the target market. Either way, the guy had the sales and a good plan going forward for what he'd do with the money, so I have nothing to complain about with his deal.

The highlight of the episode was the look on Lori's face after she went out and the guy tried to backpedal, asking if she could repeat her question one more time, and she just said, "No." I could see both sides of the argument - Barbara was right in that they were all yelling over each other and Lori was maybe being a little petty and butthurt over it, but the guy really wasn't paying attention to her, and if that's enough for her not want to work with him and invest in his product, that's not a crime. My husband even cheered her on for refusing to relent once she went out.

• Love 1

You know, maybe if the sharks wouldn't continually talk over each other, Lori wouldn't get her panties in a wad about the air jet guy not responding to her. I understand that's frustrating but I felt for the guy. Everyone is talking and asking questions at once so who does he give his attention to? He was really in a no-win situation. The price point is too high for most of us but I think the concept is solid.

The lip balm was ridiculous. I use an all natural awesome product that's $4.50. No way would I pay double that for something that isn't all natural but that's a "conversation piece." The name is good but everything else? Nope.

I could see the grass patch working. I am currently in a third floor apartment and it would be nice to have something like that for when I work late and/or don't necessarily want to take my dog out multiple times a day. I would agree that the East Coast is where the money will really be made, where residents deal with snow, rain and basic inclement weather.

• Love 1

A side note on lip balm -- BonnieBell is going out of business, and if you can get your hands on any LipSmackers before they disappear, do so.

There's a grass patch thing that's been on the "As Seen on TV" commercials and store shelves for years now. Not sure if it's the same product, but it's been around.

• Love 3

There's a setup with artificial grass and a shallow tray underneath that catches the pee.  I haven't seen one in real life, but I shudder at moving the tray through your house, trying not to slosh urine over the edge.  I can barely make it to the couch with coffee.

I bet apartment dogs would be happy to see a little patch of real grass--as long as they didn't lose out on too many "walkies."

Kevin was really enjoying his role as the mean guy this week.  I'm sure he lies in bed at night thinking up zingers like "you're a single-cell amoeba--not even a cockroach--a SINGLE-CELL AMOEBA [blah blah blah]."  It's tiresome.

• Love 5

I was happy the grass patch guy got a deal. I actually looked into something like that years ago when my dog was elderly and started having trouble getting up and down the steps to get outside. She would've loved that. At the time the only one I could find was a synthetic grass and it seemed like it would get really disgusting and hard to clean pretty fast. The way it worked to not create a big mess though was you put "pee pads" in a tray underneath the grass layer - so you're not walking around trying not to slosh pee everywhere.

$9 lip balm - I don't think so! Plus, unless you only have one friend you ever let use the "friend end" I think it's pretty gross to have multiple people digging their fingers into that side. I'd rather just get two cheap lip balms, or not share.

The sink thing looked to me like it just generated a lot of extra waste and would make the sink clog faster, but what do I know?  I hope the plastic part's recyclable (though I'm not sure, can hair go into a recycle bin?).  I guess it's a decent business idea in that you'll have an ongoing need for refills, along the lines of printers/printer ink, air purifiers that require filter refills all the time, etc.

I liked the concept of the bed jet but holy cow that was way too expensive. It also looked to me like something I'd be accidentally tripping over or kicking constantly, since my bed isn't raised.  The unit couldn't go under the bed, so I'm not sure where you'd place it and not have it in the way. I could see a higher end bed manufacturer figuring out a way to incorporate something like that into their bed though. If it were part of the bed itself and I were going for a pricey mattress anyway, I might pay extra for that option.

Lori completely cracked me up when she got mad. I didn't blame her, although it does drive me nuts how they all interrupt each other and talk over each other constantly. It's a lot for the "presenter" to take in and figure out how to handle without offending anyone.

• Love 2

I'd pay a decent amount to have something to keep the bed cool, although I'm not sure I'd pay $500. On the other hand, I bet there are a lot of menopausal women who would feel it is a bargain. I admit I'm kind of old school - I use a hot water bottle to warm up . I was trying to think of something mildly risqué here, but . . .

• Love 1

I'm always cold and just recently bought an electric mattress pad for my bed and I love it.  Much cheaper than $500 and I don't have to see it sitting by the side of the bed, needing dusting.  As to cooling off the bed, I don't have that problem too often.

• Love 2

I'm always cold and just recently bought an electric mattress pad for my bed and I love it.  Much cheaper than $500 and I don't have to see it sitting by the side of the bed, needing dusting.  As to cooling off the bed, I don't have that problem too often.

I, too, have an electric mattress pad that my mother bought me several years ago. It is magical. I keep my thermostat at about 62 in the winter, but it's toasty under the covers. I don't usually keep it on all night. My two cats LOVE it; they get under the covers with me and we get all snuggly warm. I adjust my bedding to the seasons--heavier in winter and lighter in summer, down to just a sheet (I try not to run too much A/C in the summer, but I live in NC, so I'm not trying to suffer, either). I'm not busy trying to impress anyone with my bedding--it gets all furred up anyway.

• Love 1

Fresh Patch guy is nuts to pay the shipping costs. As an online seller, I have all my customers pay their own shipping, which can get costly for the folks in Australia. Still doesn't stop them from buying. I love his idea, as it's not like the ones I saw in stores now that I'm rewatching and paying closer attention.

Not sure how this would sell in pet stores. The grass needs to be fresh. Unless they have a display model and you order and have it delivered, I can't see retail working. He needs to find growers all across the country, not just in California. Granted, you can't grow grass in the winter in a lot of places, but I'd be looking for other places besides one grass farm.

I, too, have an electric mattress pad that my mother bought me several years ago. It is magical. I keep my thermostat at about 62 in the winter, but it's toasty under the covers. I don't usually keep it on all night. My two cats LOVE it; they get under the covers with me and we get all snuggly warm. I adjust my bedding to the seasons--heavier in winter and lighter in summer, down to just a sheet (I try not to run too much A/C in the summer, but I live in NC, so I'm not trying to suffer, either). I'm not busy trying to impress anyone with my bedding--it gets all furred up anyway.

For a minute, I thought I'd written this and dozed off and forgot. :) I, too, live in NC and I also keep my thermostat at around 62 in the winter. I also have two cats, but they tend to glom on top of me, it's my little dog who likes to be under the covers as he doesn't have the fur they do.

• Love 3

Taking a second look at the sink clog thing, all I could think was how hair would get wrapped around it and not go inside. I have longish hair and there's no way it wouldn't get tangled up in that thing. But Robert is the right guy for him to be with, he'll figure out any pitfalls before they go to market.

• Love 1

Fresh Patch guy is nuts to pay the shipping costs. As an online seller, I have all my customers pay their own shipping, which can get costly for the folks in Australia. Still doesn't stop them from buying. I love his idea, as it's not like the ones I saw in stores now that I'm rewatching and paying closer attention.

Not sure how this would sell in pet stores. The grass needs to be fresh. Unless they have a display model and you order and have it delivered, I can't see retail working.

I totally agree with this.  When I heard how much he was paying for shipping, and out of his pocket, I was floored.  He either needs to have the customer pay or incorporate the shipping cost into the overall cost of the patches. 

I love the idea, as I posted above, but I agree with you, cooks, that I don't think retail is the place to go.  Too much potential for inventory to sit on the shelves and then die off.  Seems much better suited for online sales.  Not sure if he could partner up with a chain like Petsmart or Petco and then sell through their online site but that's the only way I could see that working.

I forgot to mention that I loved seeing Robert jump up to climb into the display bed.  You know he was just itching to do it when Mark and Lori went up.  His excitement over products is often the best parts of the show for me.

There's a setup with artificial grass and a shallow tray underneath that catches the pee.  I haven't seen one in real life, but I shudder at moving the tray through your house, trying not to slosh urine over the edge.  I can barely make it to the couch with coffee.

The way it worked to not create a big mess though was you put "pee pads" in a tray underneath the grass layer - so you're not walking around trying not to slosh pee everywhere.

Yep. When I had a male cat I put puppy pads under the litter box because boys just *cannot* aim.

But the idea of having live grass in a patch in your house is not even a new idea - SF writer Robert Heinlein did it in the '60s; houses would have little grass patches where people would take their shoes off and walk on it to rest their tired feet. These people, of course, did not have dogs, or the obvious would have happened :)

The only time I recall anyone trying to share lip gloss was in junior high when we'd all first discovered it. Then pretty soon everyone had their own Bonnie Bell collection and that ended.

I'm always cold and just recently bought an electric mattress pad for my bed and I love it.  

Oh, that sounds like something I'd like. I hate being cold but electric blankets make me feel smothered.

I didn't see the sink clog thing but Mom and I have always had long hair and learned a long time ago those little tub filters they've been selling for decades to keep hair out of the pipes may well do so, but as soon as there's the least bit of hair around them they're keeping water out of the pipes too.

• Love 1

Sink drain guy lost me when they asked him about it and he said something like it'd need cleaning every 4-6 weeks? Maybe I'm gross (or maybe I'm actually super clean?) but based on the problem he was trying to solve, using his product would make me need to clean my sink about 8x more frequently than I currently do. How is that helping? I'd rather do a pain-in-the-ass task once a year over slightly-less-pain-in-the-ass once a month.

• Love 2

So the dog owner gets new grass every 2 weeks. I assume you just flush the dog poo every day or every time the dog poops? It seemed like an OK product but I didn't get the retail side either. The grass is hydroponically grown so it could grow in a greenhouse anywhere, right?

That Andrew was so much easier on the eyes than fat Jerry Seinfeld and his cray cray bed idea.

We got a Tom+Chee here in Maumee this summer. The first time I had it, it was good. The second time was decent, and the other couple times I've had it, it has just been meh. I never see many cars out there. They do have yummy desserts though.

I would occasionally purchase Fresh Patch for my cats. Not to pee on, but to roll on and eat. They adore grass but are entirely indoors. I don't have a window with good exposure to grow my own, when I tried outside and brought it in I ended up with weird bugs. And the little flowerpot size ones last about a minute. So as a treat maybe 3-4 times a year? Possibly. Thought I'd be much more likely to walk out of Petsmart with one than order it.

If I gave every person that has ever asked to use my lip balm a brand new tube, I wouldn't spend $9, because it's never happened. My sister stole a few Chapstick tubes when we lived together, but she won't use anything but cherry Chapstick, so that doesn't help. And I don't see how the "friend end" would work if you had fingernails.

I would love an air conditioned bed, especially in the summer, but not for $500. I had the Chillow until my cat clawed it and soaked me and the bed, and would happily have bought a full body Chillow if such a thing existed, but it was like, $20 and I was willing to take a chance.

My problem with the drain thing is that you'd have to pre-emptively install them and regularly clean them out? No thanks. In 7 years in my house I got one drain clog (and I do have long hair) and cleaned it out with a plastic pipe snake in about 2 minutes.

Edited by Shibori
  • Love 2

That mattress pad would be great for the winter and much cheaper than the BedJet. I think the only major advantage the BedJet would have (to me anyway) is the cooling feature. This is coming from someone who lives where it's typically 90+ degrees from late May through mid-September, and often over 100 for several days or weeks in that time frame. I have way more of a problem keeping it cool enough to sleep. Of course we use the A/C, but getting it cool enough to be comfortable is almost impossible plus costs a fortune, so we often just use a sheet and still sweat half the night.

Not sure how this would sell in pet stores. The grass needs to be fresh. Unless they have a display model and you order and have it delivered, I can't see retail working. He needs to find growers all across the country, not just in California. Granted, you can't grow grass in the winter in a lot of places, but I'd be looking for other places besides one grass farm.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't have an East Coast location like SC or FL in addition to CA.  Would cut down on the shipping.

I hate sharing my lip balm.  And too many people ask. I wipe it off with a tissue first and after loaning it out.  And then try really hard to not use it again!

My brother got me the heated mattress pad years and years ago.  I wore it out.  I'm always cold, even in the Summer.  I think a cooling one would be great for hot people especially women with menopause.

Even though I think she had a point, I loved seeing Lori get all pissed off when her question was repeatedly pushed aside. She will not be ignored!

Nobody puts baby in the corner!

Robert was probably sad that it wasn't a real dog that came out with the guy. :(

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3

I think it makes sense because he's trying to set it up as a subscription.  Free shipping makes it much easier to just accept the $25-every-two-weeks bill and never think about it again. If shipping is separate, not only does it seem like a more complicated transaction but it you get potential issues with automatic billing if the cost changes.

Plus if he knew he was going to set up more distribution centers later, it's better to get the customers now even at break-even than to risk turning them away and hope they come back later when the shipping is cheaper.

Again though, that's specific to a recurring order handled as a subscription.  If it's a one-time sale, I agree that separate shipping probably makes more sense.

If you expect chapstick sharing to be a thing, I always figured something like this worked best:

300.jpg

You can easily squeeze some onto a fingertip so you're not wiping the supply with lip or finger.  (Not that it matters to me. I use chapstick at about a pace of one tube per decade.)

• Love 1

The guy can say that the free shipping is somehow incorporated into the $25 fee, but it still cuts out of his profits. If he raised the price to $35 or $40 at least he'd be recouping some of the costs.

I tried free shipping once as an incentive to see if it made any difference in my sales. It didn't.

Sod was 25 cents a square foot last time I checked.  There has also been an artificial turf solution for indoor pets for sale for a long time.  I think I'd rather rinse my grass then pay for a new square to be shipped, at those rates.  

The lip balm was stupid.  I use it 100x a day and have for decades.  The only people who have ever asked to borrow it are people in my immediate family who I don't care if they use it because I'd kiss them on the mouth.  If some other friend did, I'd loan it to them then discretely wipe the top layer.  

I was glad Lori did that.  I feel like that sleazeball was purposely evading her question.  

I too wondered why no one mentioned the simple solution of an electric blanket or mattress pad.  If you want cool air in summer, get a stand fan or ceiling fan and sleep with just a sheet or uncovered.  The thing looked like a large blow dryer.  Why it cost so much, I don't get.  

While the grass guy was making his pitch, I kept thinking I should invent a doggy litter box using gravel. --- We have a back yard with a large patch of grass and we have always had dogs.  I want to be able to walk across the lawn in bare feet, without worrying about where I step, so I trained each dog (a total of 3) to do his business (liquid and solid) on the gravel by our shed, instead of going on the lawn.  If you can teach a dog not to go on the carpet, you can teach him not to go on the lawn. Yeah, it is more effort - we had to take them all the way to shed when they were being housebroken instead of just opening the back door, you need to keep a close eye on the pup when he is on the grass as you would if he were on the carper, and it really helps if you put a temporary fence around the grass until they get the hang of things.  But it is worth the additional work in the beginning to not be rinsing off your shoes/feet for the next 14 years. My daughter also trained her dog not to go on the lawn and when my sister-in-law's dog comes over, she goes in the gravel, but goes on the grass at her house.  

On most sinks, the stopper is attached to a lever, connected to the faucet pipe, so that it goes up and down when you pull a knob on the faucet.  You can't just pull out the stopper and replace it with a new one.  If you installed the faucet yourself, the directions usually give the option of not attaching it to the lever but installing it a different way so you can take out the stopper, but still have it go up and down.  But, if you can install the faucet yourself, you can handle cleaning out the drain every once in a while.  Also, not all stoppers are the same size.  One of mine was corroded so I bought a new one and it didn't fit.  I was surprised the the sharks were interested but no one asked how much work it would be to replace the existing one or if it is a one-size fits all.  

I hate sharing my lip balm.  And too many people ask. I wipe it off with a tissue first and after loaning it out.  And then try really hard to not use it again!

Maybe you should try saying "I think I am getting a cold sore" whenever someone wants to use your lip balm.  Or jsut sneeze on it before you hand it to them.

Many years ago, my husband and I drove one of his co-workers to the annual Christmas party, about a 90 minute drive.  On the way, she asked if I brought lipstick with me.  I pulled the tube out of my pocket and she grabbed it an put some on. It never occurred to me that she would use my lipstick.  I barely knew the woman. She was at least 30 years older than me, so I figured maybe it was something "normal" for her generation - maybe lipstick was a scarce commodity during the war or something.  Still, I went to the party with pale lips, as there was no way I was putting any on until I had thoroughly wiped it.

• Love 2

If you expect chapstick sharing to be a thing, I always figured something like this worked best:

300.jpg

You can easily squeeze some onto a fingertip so you're not wiping the supply with lip or finger.  (Not that it matters to me. I use chapstick at about a pace of one tube per decade.)

I love this tube!  So hard to find though unless it's Blistex (which makes me breakout) or the store brand.  Might need to order a bunch online.

Maybe you should try saying "I think I am getting a cold sore" whenever someone wants to use your lip balm.  Or jsut sneeze on it before you hand it to them.

Many years ago, my husband and I drove one of his co-workers to the annual Christmas party, about a 90 minute drive.  On the way, she asked if I brought lipstick with me.  I pulled the tube out of my pocket and she grabbed it an put some on. It never occurred to me that she would use my lipstick.  I barely knew the woman. She was at least 30 years older than me, so I figured maybe it was something "normal" for her generation - maybe lipstick was a scarce commodity during the war or something.  Still, I went to the party with pale lips, as there was no way I was putting any on until I had thoroughly wiped it.

Oh no, I just about snorted!  It's more 20-30s that ask.  I feel like they are trying to be more familiar than we actually are.  I don't mind close friends or family but coworkers, classmates, and extended friends, that makes me uneasy.  I also don't like sharing mascara outside my close circle either.  Maybe I'm weird.  Dunno.

• Love 1

I would use the BedJet, if for no other reason than my husband and I have vastly different temperature requirements when it comes to bedtime.  We eventually broke down and use separate covers for that very reason.  But the guy was so sleazy,  I rarely agree with Lori, but she made the right call by refusing to deal with him.

Regarding the situation with Fresh Patch, I'm probably the poster child for lazy urban dwellers, but even I have to draw the line at paying $50/month to have grass shipped to me.  There are certain trade-offs in living in a big city, and having to walk a dog (and pick up after it, you reprobates) in lousy weather is one of them.  But I'm a cat person.  Also, I'm betting that wasn't the only grass that guy was having grown hydroponically.

You know, maybe if the sharks wouldn't continually talk over each other, Lori wouldn't get her panties in a wad about the air jet guy not responding to her. I understand that's frustrating but I felt for the guy. Everyone is talking and asking questions at once so who does he give his attention to? He was really in a no-win situation. The price point is too high for most of us but I think the concept is solid.

I was totally imagining a Sterling Archer style pitcher, just having enough and just screaming "everybody SHUT! UP!". Because all that talking was really annoying, especially Kevin who wouldn't shut it long after he was out.

The Bedjet was wildly overpriced; I thought it would be around $250.

I am not sure if it was overpriced or not. Amazon tells me that in the US, high end mattress pads, that are heating only sell for 200-300 dollars. Now if this has cooling as well it should theoretically be more expensive than something that just does heating, especially if you add in the smart phone style controls. That said, he never really explained how cooling mode worked, was it just a fan that blew ambient air from the room into the bed (since that air should be cooler than the air under the sheets) or did it actually have a small AC system in it? Also I am not sure how much I would like that thing, a constant draft blowing across my feet and then up and out the top of the sheets where my face is, seems like it would be annoying.

I could see the grass patch working. I am currently in a third floor apartment and it would be nice to have something like that for when I work late and/or don't necessarily want to take my dog out multiple times a day. I would agree that the East Coast is where the money will really be made, where residents deal with snow, rain and basic inclement weather.

Maybe it is just because I am not a dog person, but that whole business seemed incredibly wasteful. I mean they are going to grow grass, then spend resources delivering it to your house, where you will use it for a few weeks and then throw it in the garbage? It seems crazy to me. Then again I am also from Ontario and even though today's high was -14 Celsius (about 7 degrees Fahrenheit) I still saw people in my neighborhood walking their dogs.

• Love 1

How funny... I'm on the Nextdoor mailing list for our neighborhood.  If you're not familiar with it, basically you sign up for a sort of chat board/newsletter that's really specific to your neighborhood. People talk about everything - classified ads, neighborhood issues, crimes, yard sales, or whatever. Someone yesterday happened to have a really heartfelt post about her elderly dog who was having a hard time getting down her condo stairs to go outside to pee. She wanted recommendations for something that would mimic grass that she could use on her upstairs patio. That's almost exactly the scenario I envisioned for this particular product. Who knew I'd end up having something from Shark Tank to recommend to her? If she tries it out I'll let you guys know what she thinks.

• Love 2

Like others here I have a dual-control mattress pad warmer and love it.  It cost $79 and so far it has worked fine for 4+ years.  I'd buy another the instant it broke, I love it that much.  However... I was somewhat intrigued by the Bed Jet because it can complete its heating/cooling in just a couple minutes.  That's my biggest annoyance with the mattress pad warmer.  If I don't remember to turn it on 15 or 20 minutes before bed, then it just seems like I'm cold for ages until it warms up!  The chilling feature might be nice for summers also.  I didn't like how bulky it was and how it looked, but I maybe would try it for $150 or so if the price point can come down.

The sink drain thing did not impress me, nor how the Sharks seemed to think it was a great product to license to faucet manufacturers. 

Like others (and exactly what I said to my hubby), I thought the lip balm was a solution in search of a problem. I only share lip balm with my husband, and have never asked to use someone elses. Also the tube was way too big - I carry a small a purse as possible and would never carry a tube that big.

I loved that Lori went out on the Bedjet guy. And Barbara was such a bitch to Lori. Barbara is the one who purposely asked the guy a question during the time when Lori was trying to get an answer to her question. Then had the nerve to complain that Lori was whining, when she was actually answering the guy's question about why she went out. STFU Barbara.  

I was happy that Robert stuck up for Lori and told Barbara that Lori had a point. And that he told Kevin basically that you can make deals without being rude. Love. Love. Love Robert.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

I was totally imagining a Sterling Archer style pitcher, just having enough and just screaming "everybody SHUT! UP!". Because all that talking was really annoying, especially Kevin who wouldn't shut it long after he was out.

I am not sure if it was overpriced or not. Amazon tells me that in the US, high end mattress pads, that are heating only sell for 200-300 dollars. Now if this has cooling as well it should theoretically be more expensive than something that just does heating, especially if you add in the smart phone style controls. That said, he never really explained how cooling mode worked, was it just a fan that blew ambient air from the room into the bed (since that air should be cooler than the air under the sheets) or did it actually have a small AC system in it? Also I am not sure how much I would like that thing, a constant draft blowing across my feet and then up and out the top of the sheets where my face is, seems like it would be annoying.

Maybe it is just because I am not a dog person, but that whole business seemed incredibly wasteful. I mean they are going to grow grass, then spend resources delivering it to your house, where you will use it for a few weeks and then throw it in the garbage? It seems crazy to me. Then again I am also from Ontario and even though today's high was -14 Celsius (about 7 degrees Fahrenheit) I still saw people in my neighborhood walking their dogs.

The bedjet works like your hvac it just blows air out in currents. Now unlike an electric mattress pad or electric blanket this is far less likely to get the bed on fire or burn you. A number of people are badly burned or killed each year by electric blankets. I work up one time and had to quickly get the electric blanket off because it was to freaking hot and would have burned my skin if left on a bit longer. 

The bedjet works like your hvac it just blows air out in currents. Now unlike an electric mattress pad or electric blanket this is far less likely to get the bed on fire or burn you. A number of people are badly burned or killed each year by electric blankets. I work up one time and had to quickly get the electric blanket off because it was to freaking hot and would have burned my skin if left on a bit longer. 

But when he said the bedjet offers cooling as well, he didn't really specify if it is blowing conditioned air into your bed or if it is just blowing room air (which would still be colder then the air inside a bed).

But when he said the bedjet offers cooling as well, he didn't really specify if it is blowing conditioned air into your bed or if it is just blowing room air (which would still be colder then the air inside a bed).

Mark kept asking how it worked and the guy answered with the name of the principle behind how air conditioners worked. So its a mini air conditioner with a hose to channel the air into your bed. Price is an issue for sure. Getting the cost down to two hundred bucks would certainly be good for mass market.

• Love 1