Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Prayer For The Dying

When Liv and Luke’s father arrives to town to celebrate their birthday, they try and convince him to let Jo and Kai take their place in the merge ceremony. After Tyler finds out that the merge is happening sooner than he expected, he urges Liv to let him talk to her father. Meanwhile, after Caroline’s plan to cure her mother takes an unexpected and devastating turn, Elena, Stefan and Damon gather at the hospital, while Jo attempts to save Sheriff Forbes’ life. Lastly, with the merge set to take place, Damon’s risky plan quickly sends things spiraling out of control, forcing one of the twins to take matters into their own hands.

I get that the gang constantly makes terrible selfish decisions without regard to the consequences for everyone else, but Damon's decision to free Kai to save Liz was so boneheaded and stupid that I'd swear he had the brain tumor. Liz a woman who had made such peace with her death that she deeded her home to her daughter weeks ago. And Kai a person whom they've all been scared shitless of from the moment he stepped on the scene. It was so bad it almost undoes all the great stuff with Stefan, Caroline, and Liz.

Also are the budgets so small that they couldn't afford to have Matt there when Liz was dying?

Yeah that sucked, I'm surprised they didn't just have a Luke in a Team Minority red shirt, I'm sorry kid you aren't black but you are a GAY: dead. I realized one of the things that bothers me about the Kai merge emphasized here is that the souls merge supposedly BALANCING out and literally completing the other, so why does Kai's psychopathy get to out weight Luke's  "goodness"? Why do I ask Why?

Dalena was sickening. 

All of it did detract from the impact of Liz's death/last minute reprieve. I wonder if that's going to mean anything too, or if I care.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 8

I liked Liz's death vision of Caroline at the window. Liz is afraid her death will make Caroline lose it and flip her switch -- and she should be worried, I fear it too. Her mom is her last link to humanity. Liz's only hope is that Stefan can keep Caroline grounded.

• Love 5

Good job Damon releasing Kai and Elena's his sidekick ok with that. She's just an awful human with no compassion or sense anymore.

Where's Bonnie? Does nobody care anymore? There's like 24 million balls in the air on this show right now. It's a mess.

• Love 2

So that's it? Kai wins & goes away? I hope that either that's the last we hear from Kai, or at some point the merge unmerges because they aren't really twins, & it kills Kai. Either way, I'm over Kai.

• Love 3

Dude, Elena is literally the worst. The second she has to face something real like Liz dying, she jumps into Damon's arms to escape it. You can dress it up all you want, Elena, but we see through you. God, this chick sucks at facing her problems.

Liz's death vision was super emotional. She doesn't want Caroline to just give up and turn off her switch, so she holds on as hard as she can. But eventually everyone needs to learn to walk on their own, so Liz might have to simply let go and allow Caro to make it through this on her own.

I love how there are constant phone noises as background for the hospital. It makes me laugh.

Goodbye Luke, I'll miss you and your bad haircut.

So Kai is done with his merging goal, what comes next? Will Liv and Jo merge with each other to fight him? Will he just move on to other things? And why on Earth is no one planning to pull Bonnie out? I imagine she's pretty powerful and would love a showdown with Kai.

I was pretty much over this show and got sucked back in this season. However the shit the writers put out there tonight just freed up another hour for me on Thursday nights. I will probably lurk around here to see if there's anything worth watching but Damon freeing Kai was beyond stupid for a character that actually had the most brains when it came to dealing with danger. So sick of the Delana it reminds me of the Clana on Smallville which was also gag worthy. I hope the rumors are true and that Dobrev leaves after this season, maybe then we can get back to business.

It blows my mind how terrible this show has gotten while The Originals just gets better every week in my opinion.

• Love 4

Oh, Damon. Tyler isn't the only beautiful moron around here. Let me get this straight. Damon is so concerned with not wanting to get on Alaric's bad side by screwing things up with Jo that he decides to set Kai free and tell Papa Parker to have the blonde twins merge? What on earth did he think was going to happen after Kai sucked whatever magic was left in Liz? That Kai would just say, "Thanks for the magic snack. I'll just be one my way now. Please tell Jo I said farewell!"?

Even if Kai got no magic out of Liz, he is still a total psycho and a magic siphon. He would hunt down any witch he could find (not just Jo, Liv, and Luke) to steal their magic so that he could do his crazy magic. I get that Damon loves Liz and he wanted to save her, but COME ON. There was no way that his plan was going to end well. Let's just say that Liv and Luke merged, meaning Kai and Jo would not be able to merge. What would stop Kai from siphoning Luke's magic? Or stealing what little magical powers Jo has? And then KILLING BOTH OF THEM? Damon was so short-sighted in his stupid plan. When he told Jo that everything had been taken care of, what the hell did he mean? How did he think this was going to end?

Part of me feels really bad for Caroline but the other part of me wanted to shake her. I don't care how guilty you feel. Go spend time with your mother BEFORE SHE DIES. Do you think she wants to spend her last hours or days in a hospital room by herself staring at the walls? No, she wants to be with her daughter so stop the pity party, suck it up, and go sit with your mom.

I really wish we had been given a Damon/Liz scene this week. It's obvious that he cares a lot about her (as evidenced by his harebrained attempt to save her and put everyone else at risk). The one good thing about his stupid plan is that it shows he is capable of doing idiotic things for people besides Stefan and Elena.

The one good thing Damon did this week was kill poor Colin. I have no idea why everyone else was just standing around offering platitudes like "We will try to help you!" This poor guy already suffered from being Caroline's guinea pig. Put him out of his unnecessary misery and let him rest in peace. Damon was the only one willing to do it and then Caroline had the fucking gall to get snippy and ask, "Why did you do that?" Uhhhh, because you sentenced him to an eternity of pain and growing tumors? What was your solution, Caroline? Let him live in excruciating pain forever? Yes, that seems the compassionate and responsible thing to do. I do want to know how Colin managed to walk from Duke to Mystic Falls and track Caroline down to her house. Points for tenacity! Remember back in S1 when going to Duke was a road trip? Now it's just down the street!

So long, Luke. I will not miss your horribly long hair (I felt like a total grandpa because every time I saw him, all I could think was how much he needed a haircut - not necessarily shorter but just to give it an actual cut/style instead of that mop).

• Love 2

I didn't really enjoy that episode (apart from Sheriff Forbes knocking it out of the park again); the pacing felt a little off and there was just too much stupidity. The characters all seemed to collectively have an IQ roughly equal to that of a glass of water. Damon, it's cute that you didn't want to upset your BFF, but please don't ever be that dumb again.

And bye Luke. I'm sad both for you and for myself, as we're now stuck with your annoying sister.

• Love 2

I really liked Liz's dream with Caroline at the window. I took it as Liz's fear that without her around Caroline will go off the rails as a vampire and although I'm glad she recognized that her daughter needs someone else in her life to keep Caroline's vampirism in check, I'm not sure that Stefan is the best choice since poor Matt wasn't even in the episode.

So Damon freed Kai as a last ditch effort to save his other human friend, Liz, and forced the twin merge to spare his other human BFF's girlfriend. (rubs temples) I think the only smart thing he did was put poor Colin out of his misery. I have no idea if this was his idea but keeping Kai in a medically induced coma was smart too.

I actually felt for Luke and ya'll know I could not stand him or Liv for the longest, tried to do the right thing and save his sister only to ultimately fail. I was almost dreading him opening his eyes as Jo held his body post-merge, would it be him waking up or Kai? And yes, TVD continues its tradition of keeping the Big Bad around way longer than necessary but I still enjoy that little psychopath.

I can't even re: Elena.

• Love 1

I wish this show had had the balls to kill Liv and let Luke survive.  And Damon, Damon, you and Bonnie are usually the only two with brain cells to rub together.  Couldn't you have killed Kai when it was obvious that Luke was going to die?  He was all helpless on the ground.  Easy Peasy.  Marguarite M doing a great job.  Why was Elena so much more upset than Damon about Liz dying?  I know she has known Liz longer but I don't even remember them sharing screen time.  I wanted to see Damon lose it and Elena be generous enough to comfort HIM.  Of course, it's all about her.  Again.

• Love 2

I agree that it seems like Damon would be more upset about Liz dying. Yes, Elena has known Liz longer but she has known her as her friend's mom while Damon has known Liz as an equal, as a friend. Don't get me wrong - it's terrible when anyone gets sick and dies but I thought that Damon losing one of his very few friends would elicit more of a reaction. On the other hand, I can see that Damon has been supportive but realistic the last few episodes. Last week when Caroline initially suggested giving Liz some vamp blood, Damon was very practical and calm when he said he didn't think it would work. I think that he has accepted that Liz was going to die and has been emotionally preparing himself for it.

And ITA that he should have killed Kai when both Kai and Luke were unconscious. Either Kai was already dead and no harm in Damon ripping out his heart for good measure or Kai won the merge and was going to be a huge threat to everyone and killing him would save everyone a lot of trouble. So win-win!

• Love 2

I don't think Damon's idea was that stupid... since it worked, I guess... aside from the near death heart attack stuff... but getting the magic out of her via Kai was a good idea, he just needed to have better follow through on what he was going to be doing afterwards, in addition to not letting Jo yank him away to yell at him.   I mean, I'm not saying it was the best idea ever, but Kai was the only way to stop Liz from dying right away.

But... that said, Kai is now going to be another villain that totally over stays his welcome, even if he goes away for awhile... just like Klause, it sounds like they've turned him into an unkillable, since his life is tied to the rest of the coven.

At least that's how it sounded to me when the dad was explaining why the twins had to merge- if he died and the merge hadn't occured, then the coven bloodline dies. I don't know if that means everyone dies off at the same time- like with a vampire getting killed, but it sort of sounded that way. Or does it mean they can't have more kids? Or just that they all lose their magic, but can still go on living? It sounded more like the first option- If I die, the whole coven dies sort of thing.

So now Kai is the papa witch, meaning that there has to be a new set of twins who hit 22 and can merge before he dies, right? That's how I'm understanding it- meaning killing Kai now kills the whole coven? (though maybe they were just being dramatic and Kai dying will just make them all lose their magic, which, too bad for you, dumb coven!)  But Kai killed all his sibs, so no new twins around or it will be at least 20 some years before Jo or Liv could have grown kids.

They've written this to be such an overcomplicated mess! yuck!! But maybe Kai will go off and spend his time tormenting the rest of his coven and leave mystic falls alone... so we can ignore him for awhile. Time to put the focus back on saving Bonnie... Bennett blood was key in making the prison world, right? So maybe Bennett witches are more powerful than Gemini witches and she can kick some kai ass eventually.

There Elena goes, making Liz's near death all about Elena.  And how did she manage to blame Carolina feeding her mother vampire blood on Stephen, yet she's completely fine with Damon releasing psycho Kai? So much damn hate.  Also, why is she never actually volunteering? 

My question is, if Kai can suck the vampire blood magic out of Liz, couldn't he also then suck power from any of the vampires?  I don't know why I'm trying to make sense of this show.

I did like the explanation about why the vampire blood didn't work on the tumor.  Cancer makes normal cells overactive, so if vampire blood speeds up the action of regular cells to make healing occur faster, it makes sense that it would also send tumors into overdrive making the cancer worse. 

• Love 3

The part that's freaking me out is the whole "taking on aspects of the other twin" thing. Obviously Kai didn't immediately grow a luscious mane of blonde hair, so we know it's not a physical change, but dammit this probably means he's gonna start having "feelings" and "compassion", and I liked him best as an unapologetic psychopath.

I don't mind Liv though, and this pretty much guarantees her survival -- whatever of Luke is left in Kai is gonna be pretty fierce about not hurting her, I think.

• Love 2

I have to say I was sad to see Luke go. He was also the only one who even HAD a shot at beating Kai, I agreed with him there and he went out like a boss. I`m guessing that puts this merge business to rest because if Luke couldn`t win - and, like I said, I at least gave him a chance - Liv and Jo shouldn`t stand a snowball`s chance in hell. Not if they trained till kingdom come.

Releasing Kai to save Liz? I can see that. Especially from Damon who is impulsive and as we have seen devoted enough to use crazy stunts for his loved ones. Which is actually something this group has always done and will always do so it didn`t bother me that Elena was okay with it. Anyone of them ever NOT being okay with such a plan would be a gigantic hypocrite. I mean, it`s not that the plan/execution was judge-worthy but none in the Fellowship would have a right to.

What  Damon is usually a bit better at is contigencies and planning. Releasing Kai is one thing, not planning better for his inevitable villain escape is quite another. Wait till he performed his task and then super-speed another needle with traquilizers into him or something. If it had failed because ~plot convenience~ fine but at least SHOW them trying. 

• Love 2

The part that's freaking me out is the whole "taking on aspects of the other twin" thing. Obviously Kai didn't immediately grow a luscious mane of blonde hair, so we know it's not a physical change, but dammit this probably means he's gonna start having "feelings" and "compassion", and I liked him best as an unapologetic psychopath.

I really don't want Kai to turn into Darla with Connor's baby soul. I like Kai the way he is, totally unconflicted about killing people left and right. Let the bad guy stay bad!

I loved when he used his extensive knowledge of tv shows about doctors to demand a 12 gauge needle.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I'm an idiot.  I kept waiting for it to be revealed that Damon's plan was to work with Papa Gemini to have Kai save Liz, then Joe, Liv, Luc and Papa band together to defeat Kai, and bring Bonnie home.  Yeah, I know.  Dumb of me.

• Love 3

I was out before, but then I got sucked back in by Bamon and Kai.  Gemini coven notwithstanding, how does the coven peril trump their lifelong friend Bonnie?  Why isn't saving Bonnie the number one top priority for everyone of them except Caroline who is the only one with more pressing business?  I know everybody loves Alaric but I don't particularly care for him.  He's alive today by USING Bonnie in a spell that got her banished to hell, but he can't be bothered because he wants to drink wine with his new girlfriend?  Whatever!  And I lost complete respect for Damon, who I thought would be leading the Bonnie charge.  Instead he wants to "date" Elena to make her remember some sappy crap she made someone make her forget in the first place.  I hate ALL of them - Elena most (is this really a beloved character in fandom?).  I don't have time in my life to hate watch so I'm out.

That said, I was sorry to see Luke die, he was the only one in town with a brain in his head,  I enjoyed watching him manhandle alpha dog Kai.

One last thing.  I watched my mother die from cancer.  My best friend in the world has glioblastoma.  What makes the showrunners think that this subject matter counts as "entertainment"?  And if you're going to show it, SHOW it.  Not lying in bed peacefully and smiling.  No, the constant tests, the losing of the hair, the seizures, the vomiting, the nurses, the urine bags and bed sores, feeding tubes, breathing machines, and strange symptoms that appear as the body begins to shut itself down.  That's not entertainment.  Julie Plec is horrible person.

• Love 1

I don't know who's more done with Elena's sh*t at this point, me or Stefan.

Bravo to Stefan this whole episode because he really came through for Caroline and rightfully defended her against Damon and Elena. Yes Caroline made a mistake and she felt terrible and she was acting irrationally but she needed someone to talk her down off the ledge and Stefan did that. Candice, Marguerite and Paul are all bringing it with this storyline and I LOVED the death dream symbolism. Caroline is the only vampire on this show who didn't let the darkness take over her as to become a monster and if she loses her Mom (especially if she did last night because there's no way you could convince her it wasn't her fault) her humanity switch is in serious jeopardy. Liz knows that (she saw the monster Elena became first hand) and she needed Stefan to promise her he wouldn't let it happen, she couldn't bare it even if she wasn't around to see it. I want to see Caroline NOT turn it off.

Damon's plan made perfect sense, these characters always put anyone's life at risk to save one of their own (it was nice that his plan was for Liz too instead of Elena or Stefan.) Also why he's just as hypocrical as Elena to try and guilt Caroline for trying to save her Mom. Glad we're done with whole twin merge but I hope Kai doesn't get woobified now that he absorbed Luke so he gets a case of the feels.

I really liked this episode, probably Top 3 this season. I like what you're doing TVD don't screw it up. Also can you just bring Bonnie back already, this is absurd!

• Love 1

So do you guys suppose that Luke knew he wouldn't beat Kai, and was hoping his emotions and traits would be enough to bring Kai down to a less psychotic level instead? I thought he was just dumb but maybe he sacrificed himself for a purpose?

• Love 2

I also think that Damon's plan made perfect sense, and he had thought of a contingency (plan B), but Tyler ruined that. The only problem with Damon's plan was that he didn't have a plan C. Liz is still alive, and will die with dignity now, with her daughter by her side. Liz will not turn into a vampire, forced to live with excruciating pain for an eternity.

I don't get why Luke dying is Damon's fault. Blame the stupid coven and their horrible customs, or blame Ric for allowing Kai to live against Damon's advice and better judgement. The bottom line is not everyone can be saved, and the Coven and all that they stand for is nothing to do with Damon. They will look after their own first, as seen in 5x22, when Luke stopped the spell that left Damon trapped on the OS.

Moving on. Liz and Caroline scenes were very emotional, I am invested in this storyline, and I was never happier than when Liz came to terms with the fact the her daughter had become the very thing she was brought up to hate. In a way, Caroline's vampirism healed a fractured mother/daughter relationship, and they became closer because of it. I know that I will cry buckets when she dies for real, it will be hard to see  one of the beloved, original characters go.

Stefan was just there this episode. He did a lot of talking, but not much else. He seems like a bunny in the headlights at the moment.

I don't get the hate directed at Elena for taking a moment to contemplate her mortality after what she had just experienced. To me that is normal behaviour to examine your priorities when faced with death yet again. Being an immortal does not hold any guarantees as she well knows, so why waste precious time denying what is in your heart. Furthermore, what she had to say to Stefan was completely on point IMO. Elena wasn't blaming Caroline for what happened to Liz, she was calling Stefan out for not using his brain and experience to guide Caroline into making the right choices. Stefan pointing out Elena's instability when Damon died was a low blow, and not comparable since Elena was not blaming Caroline.

• Love 2

So do you guys suppose that Luke knew he wouldn't beat Kai, and was hoping his emotions and traits would be enough to bring Kai down to a less psychotic level instead? I thought he was just dumb but maybe he sacrificed himself for a purpose?

It's actually pretty brilliant of Luke. From Luke's perspective best case scenario either he wins, and Kai is dead, or worst case he loses, and Kai absorbs his conscience and probably becomes a better person because of it. Either way he saves both Liv and Jo from having to do the merge and die regardless.

• Love 3

Releasing Kai to save Liz? I can see that. Especially from Damon who is impulsive and as we have seen devoted enough to use crazy stunts for his loved ones. Which is actually something this group has always done and will always do so it didn`t bother me that Elena was okay with it. Anyone of them ever NOT being okay with such a plan would be a gigantic hypocrite. I mean, it`s not that the plan/execution was judge-worthy but none in the Fellowship would have a right to.

THIS! Lets hope that Alaric sees it this way, then I won't have to go back to disliking him again.

I really don't want Kai to turn into Darla with Connor's baby soul. I like Kai the way he is, totally unconflicted about killing people left and right. Let the bad guy stay bad!

I loved when he used his extensive knowledge of tv shows about doctors to demand a 12 gauge needle.

This.  No to Kai getting the feels.  Side note... so we've had Kai absorb the magic from the ground and now out of a person... does that mean he could literally just grab the arm of any of these idiots and de-vamp them?  It's just a magic spell running through them like the blood in Liz right?  Whether or not Kai can actually do this, did the thought not occur to Damon?  Because, as if intentionally awakening and magicking up Kai wasn't a dumb enough plan, proving to him he can remove the magic from vamp blog was and extra dodgy plan.

I still think Liv is absolutely terrible. I don't think she cares that Luke is dead. All she's been saying is that she doesn't want to die. She said a few episodes ago that she didn't care how many people would die if Kai killed Joe. 

At least special snowflake Elena feels bad when people die because of her.

Kai can kill Liv anytime he wants.

• Love 1

Not the best episode this season but I liked it.  I still love this show regardless of some of the crap I've had to handwave away - guess I'm in it for the long haul.

I felt like the main characters all acted the way they always act.  Caroline cared about her mom, Liz cared about her daughter, Damon cared about his friend Liz, Stefan cared about his friend Caroline and Elena cared about Elena. 

I was good with Damon's plan to slow Liz's death by releasing Kai.  He didn't do anything that the others wouldn't have done if they'd thought of it.  He tried to save his friend.

I could not care less about the whole Gemini coven/ merge thing.  I don't really like any of the twins - if forced to choose I'd probably pick Kai because at least he's funny sometimes.

I really don't want Liz to die, it's so sad. 

And if they discover Kai can siphon off vampire magic, is this how Elena becomes human again? 

• Love 1

1. Elena, if you want to become a doctor you can start by learning how to do CPR properly.

2. The merging - at first I thought that Luke maybe actually had a chance. Then, after they both collapsed and Jo was trying to bring Luke around, I thought that maybe he won but would turn out to have been tainted by Kai's sociopathy and become a villain that no one would suspect. Then it was clear that Kai was the winner and I smacked my head. Of course they wouldn't kill off Kai so soon but they did a good job playing with me.

3. Kai's magic absorption is a separate deal from the merging. Now he's a fully powered witch and a magic sponge.

Kat Graham has top billing over Candice Accola, yet Caroline gets more airtime than Bonnie. I don't get it :(

Back in s1 Bonnie was more important..but in s2 and beyond Caroline became more popular while Bonnie declined (I think because she was anti-Damon..which was stupid because it made sense for her to be). 

Funny how people love her now that she's pro-Damon

• Love 1

Back in s1 Bonnie was more important..but in s2 and beyond Caroline became more popular while Bonnie declined (I think because she was anti-Damon..which was stupid because it made sense for her to be). 

Funny how people love her now that she's pro-Damon

No one was more vocally anti-Damon (also with reason) than Caroline. 

• Love 3

Every single one of these chuckleheads has collaborated with Klaus at one point or another, so absolutely no one has any right to give Damon flak for his decision. Actually, scratch that. Everyone except the witches from a coven that sustains itself by repeated human sacrifice. I think he's in the clear.

So maybe I misread this, but did anyone else think that maybe Kai hadn't gotten quite all the magic, and Liz was in transition? I thought that her a) smelling the coffee from so far away and b) seeing Caroline's bloody face was her turning very very slowly. I didn't see her dream as a vision of a possible future, but a weird fever-dream memory of the past, when she first saw bloodstained Caroline in that crypt back in Mason-days (when they kept her there long enough to de-verv her, then Caroline had that tear-jerking compulsion of her that I assumed to be in the process of unraveling).

Maybe I'm way off, but perhaps she did die from that heart attack.

Edited by DigitalCount

No one was more vocally anti-Damon (also with reason) than Caroline. 

In s5 she was at her most anti-Damon and I do recall her getting a lot of hate then. (It still irks me that they'll never go into the real reason she hate him..or that they won't call it rape) 

• Love 1

I hate ALL of them - Elena most (is this really a beloved character in fandom?).

I know there are a few fans who truly love Elena, so I'm not trying to discount them. That said, I used to be a member of that group, and now I hate her. At this point, I think most of the fandom either hates her, or tolerates her because they love Damon and whatever makes Damon happy is what they want for him. Now, I think many of those pro-Damon people came over to the Bamon side when that was finally teased this year, because of Delena fatigue, and because they like Bonnie better as a character than Elena. I think that's a fairly accurate snapshot of TVD fandom as it pertains to Elena, but others may see it differently.

You're certainly not alone in your frustration with her. But I will say that this season seems less Elena-centric than past seasons. It's...possible that that's because I'm making better use of my FF button though. I skipped the Delena hallway scene entirely. But I was happy to see some emotion from her about Liz, because it's a person not directly connected to her, and her illness/death doesn't directly impact Elena. It's been awhile since she's shown any concern about people who fall into that category.

That said, yep, I hate all these assholes for not getting Bonnie back. Burn 'em all, Bon Bon.

Edited by Carrie Ann

I know there are a few fans who truly love Elena, so I'm not trying to discount them. That said, I used to be a member of that group, and now I hate her. At this point, I think most of the fandom either hates her, or tolerates her because they love Damon and whatever makes Damon happy is what they want for him. Now, I think many of those pro-Damon people came over to the Bamon side when that was finally teased this year, because of Delena fatigue, and because they like Bonnie better as a character than Elena. I think that's a fairly accurate snapshot of TVD fandom as it pertains to Elena, but others may see it differently.

I'm being completely honest I haven't encountered anyone online who loves Elena who isn't a fan of Delena. I could be wrong but I haven't seen it. The amount of hatred I've seen in regards to Elena is amazing though, because she's supposed to be the main heroine and people think she's awful. I personally can't stand her, and I have a difficulat time finding anything enjoyable about her. Seriously why couldn't she get stuck in the 1994 prison and disappear for a couple of episodes!

I'm being completely honest I haven't encountered anyone online who loves Elena who isn't a fan of Delena. I could be wrong but I haven't seen it. The amount of hatred I've seen in regards to Elena is amazing though, because she's supposed to be the main heroine and people think she's awful. I personally can't stand her, and I have a difficulat time finding anything enjoyable about her. Seriously why couldn't she get stuck in the 1994 prison and disappear for a couple of episodes!

I find her awful as well and for a minute I wanted to blame Dobrev, but then it occurred to me that as much as I hated Elena, I loved, LOVED, Katherine so it isn't the actress' fault.  It is the writers and showrunners who for some reason believe that there is something appealing about her.  ND is a beautiful girl indeed but her outside beauty won't outweigh the A-hole on the inside of her characte.  What made it worse for me is that I feel like it wouldn't take very much to fix what is hatable about Elena - some genuine concern and urgency for her friends and family, some introspection, some depth and strength of character, some drive and willingness to not always be the center of attention.  It would do wonders.  I think if there were just one scene of her looking serious and her indication to Damon that their romance is officially on hold until they figure out how to free her "best friend" from hell.

I think if there were just one scene of her looking serious and her indication to Damon that their romance is officially on hold until they figure out how to free her "best friend" from hell.

But see on TVD, if they had a scene like this, it would only be so D/E can moon at each other sadly for a few episodes. Any time they do something to ostensibly make Elena seem like a good person, they manage to actually just make her more self-centered. Like the S5 stuff with dead Bonnie and missing/damaged Stefan. Her sadness and concern about them was repeatedly shown to be selfish in nature--she wanted them back and better so that she could be happy and guilt-free with Damon again. She said that over and over. As long as the writers value Delena over Elena, they devalue every other relationship she has as well.

Aaaanyway. I forgot that in this episode, in the midst of Elena showing what felt like real concern over Liz, she also managed to be a total pill to Stefan for trying to help Caroline, which she herself couldn't be bothered to do at any point. 

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 4

I'm responding to the Elena stuff in her thread, because I feel like venting again. I'm still not over the fact that they took a seemingly likeable heroine with potential in S1 and turned her into....that.

Aaaanyway. I forgot that in this episode, in the midst of Elena showing what felt like real concern over Liz, she also managed to be a total pill to Stefan for trying to help Caroline, which she herself couldn't be bothered to do at any point.

This, basically.