Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: The One That Got Away

Very revealing sneak peek at 3.12.

This answers a number of speculations/questions people have had:

I wondered in the previous episode thread about how Joan would react to hearing her boss accused of a horrible crime. This scene indicates that she will be in denial at first, although not necessarily because she thinks Del is too much of a good guy to do something so terrible, and more because she thinks it's implausibly coincidental that her new boss just so happens to be Kitty's rapist. Which leads us to Sherlock going with what most people speculated, that Joan's new job wasn't a coincidence at all, and that she was targeted by Del.

• Love 2

I was as skeptical as most with this arc, but damn if they didn't pull it off. That scene at the warehouse with Kitty and Sherlock was as good as any in the series.

Del's actual fate was a good compromise, and it was Holmes canon besides.

• Love 7

DAMN, that was a good episode. I'm quite sad to see the last of Kitty (at least for the moment); I really like what she brought out of Sherlock and Joan and how she helped knit them back together, and I wouldn't have minded our duo becoming a trio indefinitely. I do second the notion that having this all happen at midseason made it a little less impactful, though. I kind of wish they'd waited until the end of the season to do all this--losing Kitty would hurt more that way.

All I have to say, though, is good for Kitty. I agree that Gruner's fate was a good compromise, but I was so happy for Kitty...she finally looked less haunted in the airport. And damn but he was a sick fuck. His speech to Kitty was horrific. Glad he's gonna get everything that's coming to him and more.

That scene with Sherlock and Kitty in the warehouse was electric. Just fantastic. Probably the best scene of the season. JLM and Lovibond were on fire. Second place went to his FACE when they said goodbye over the phone.

I already miss Kitty, dammit. :(

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 14

I think Kitty going away mid season is to build up whatever finale they have in store. Maybe Moriarty finds out about her and abducts her? Else, it would be so weird to have her story wrapped up so soon.

I know that is Stuart Townsend but I still can't recognize him.

• Love 1

I LOVE JLM.  This show has intrigued me from the very beginning.  The storylines get stronger and allowing JLM to showcase his compelling acting abilities like the last two episodes, well, who needs Netflix?  I'll miss Kitty but thanks to the writers for peeling that onion we know as Sherlock Holmes.  Bravo.

When Kitty asked if it would be alright for her to call Sherlock now and again with the occasional question, and he said "I am at your disposal," I almost broke down weeping. That and her telling him she loved him (in so many words) and then hanging up, it just broke my heart, it was really beautifully done by both actors.

And I tip my metaphoric hat to the writers -- I was concerned when they first introduced her character; I thought it would be a lame and forced storyline (as so many shows do) in order to create tension between the two leads of the show. Instead, they created this fascinating character arc for all three - Kitty, Sherlock and Joan - and with great sensitivity took the story through to its conclusion. Really well done.

And I loved the flashbacks to Kitty and Holmes' first meeting and the start of their relationship as mentor and student. (The scene where he scolds her to remove the chain from the door was especially funny and endearing.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 12

Oh, rats.  Why couldn't Joan have been the one to leave.  There's not a scene between Joan and Sherlock that comes close to the scene between Sherlock and Kitty in the warehouse - not in the entire series (in my opinion) but that's my issue with LL's flat acting.  

I'm sorry she's gone - now what?  Back to pre-Mycroft days?  And, JLM is still physically displaying some strange body movements that I still don't understand.

I'm so sorry they barely utilize AQ - I wonder if that is his choice or the show's choice because, boy, what a waste - and, a shame.

• Love 4

I do wish we'd gotten to see more from Joan, because watching her finally get fired up at the bastard, telling him he better watch out if he tries to attack her again because this time he'll be going after a woman who can defend herself (whoo!), that was really great to see. But ultimately I can't be too bummed because this really was Kitty's moment to be had. She needed those scenes, and it was terrific closure. Now I hope the writers turn those wonderful scenes into something amazing for Joan and Sherlock as partners. Don't lose the momentum!

• Love 9

LL looked so lovely when she crashed the donors event. She's gorgeous even tho I have a wee nit to pick WRT her earring choice. Loved the dress and hair.

Speaking of which: does Sherlock weedwhack his own hair? It's so strange. He's sporting a bit of a fauxhawk which seems out of character for Mr Button My Top Button All The Time.

• Love 3

Watching the previouslies I was wondering how all those different stories would tie into this one. I loved how it all worked into the episode and especially liked how his relationship with Kitty closed the issue of the drugs Sherlock stole last season. She really did save him.

The flashbacks and heartfelt conversations between Kitty and Sherlock were so well done. I'll miss Kitty a lot. That's something I never thought I'd say after her introduction at the beginning of the season. Well done, show.

• Love 15

When I saw that we would be getting flashbacks to when Sherlock and Kitty first met, I figured this meant that Kitty would be gone by the end of the episode, but I'm glad it wasn't by a "surprising" death, and she did get closure and revenge on Gruner.  I figured early on that the kid was going to be his son (he just look like he could have been related to Stuart Townsend), so I knew Sherlock and Joan would get him on that level, but Kitty getting her final moment was great.  Pretty much all the Sherlock/Kitty scenes were fantastic.  Really great acting from both parties.  I'm not against Kitty popping up again, but I hope this arc actually gets Ophelia Lovibond more recognition and offers.

I do wonder what this means for the rest of the season.  I could have easily seen this going for the entire season, so I wonder if they just worried it would get too dull if they did that, or if they have something bigger planned.  I did notice Sherlock mentioning Irene again, but I'm not sure if that means anything.  I'm guessing any Moriarty return depends on Natalie Dormer's availability.  Maybe they have something else in mind.

Overall, a really well done episode.

• Love 2

Well, I never would have imagined at the start of the season that I would be sorry to see Kitty leave. Kudos to the writers, JLM and Ophelia Lovibond for taking the time and care to develop such a beautifully realized relationship. JLM has managed to find something new in Holmes: tenderness.

I agree that Lucy Liu's Watson suffers in comparison, at least until that showdown with Gruner outside the fundraiser.

So what happens now? Does Watson return to full-time partnership with Holmes?

Edited by BungalowSummer
  • Love 5

I was afraid that Kitty was going to end up dead by the end of her story arc, and I'm glad that didn't happen. In fact, she was rather empowered throughout the episode. And I loved Sherlock's speech to her at the end. He refused to judge her and simply laid out the choice for her.

Her declaration of love somehow felt like a revelation but at the same time didn't come out of nowhere. There wasn't any overt sign from her, but at the same time, it just made sense. We can see it in her backstory and all the episodes she's been in up until now.

• Love 4

...I loved how it all worked into the episode and especially liked how his relationship with Kitty closed the issue of the drugs Sherlock stole last season....

I was so relieved when he threw the now-familiar-to-the-audience packet into the fire--perhaps because I lived in the past with someone who could not control his consumption of alcohol/drugs? Or did everyone feel that relief?

It's Kitty's big moment, and Sherlock can only watch and wait.http://previously.tv/elementary/his-cursed-face/

...Whatever you decide, you must understand that you will always be special to me," Sherlock tells her. "You will always be my friend."

This bit to me was Sherlock successfully reminding Kitty of her humanity in order to prevent her from murder and its consequences.

Her "I love you" at the end was not only thanking him for being there at that moment, and not only meaning that she loved him, but, I think, also her own effort to innoculate Sherlock against the next situation that might rob him of his ability to resist the need to murder someone he believed should be dead.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

In fact, she was rather empowered throughout the episode. And I loved Sherlock's speech to her at the end. He refused to judge her and simply laid out the choice for her.

Actually, to me Kitty seemed pretty terrified throughout the episode. Trying to confront Gruner all by herself, she just seemed so shaken. (With very good reason, of course.) I feel like the moment of true empowerment came when Sherlock finished talking with her and walked away without another word, giving her the support and friendship she needed to know that he was 100% behind her, no matter what choice she made. Then it truly was in her hands, whatever decision she could make. It was before, too, but I think she felt alone in it, like she had walked away from her friendships with Holmes and Watson, they didn't know she was still in town (or so she thought), and she felt like she had no choice, this man was taunting her and had hurt her to her very soul, and she had to seek vengeance. And when Sherlock appeared on the scene, I think she expected Holmes to try to talk her out of it in the same way he'd condescended to think he knew what she'd been through (trying to compare it to his own experiences). But ultimately, instead he gave her complete freedom to stand up for herself and make her own choices, but this time knowing that she had a friend in her corner. She wasn't alone, and then I think she finally stepped away from the terror and the fear and was finally able to make a more clear-headed choice (even if it still was pretty gruesome).

I was so relieved when he threw the now-familiar-to-the-audience packet into the fire--perhaps because I lived in the past with someone who could not control his consumption of alcohol/drugs? Or did everyone feel that relief?

Right there with you -- I felt great relief, seeing that packet burn up. It felt like such a release for him, to let go and give it up at long last.

• Love 9

Good episode, & after bitching about her when she first appeared on the show, I will miss Kitty. She really grew on me & added to the show. Maybe they'll find a way to bring her back. 

• Love 2

This was a brilliant episode - I was not into Kitty at the beginning of the season, and now I will miss her contributions greatly. This show is really, really good. I think it's overshadowed by TGIT programming (Grey's, etc.) but I hope it continues for a long time. JLM is brilliant. Really brilliant. 

• Love 1

Unfortunately, Lucy Liu's Watson does suffer in comparison to Kitty -- and I feel that comparison will now hang over the show ..

... Lucy Liu seem superfluous and robotic by comparison to Kitty. She does herself no favors in this department by being, well, superfluous. And robotic. I think they think her blandness serves as a balance to Sherlock's intensity ...

I suppose the show cannot abruptly change the setup of the characters, since they are married to the Holmes' mythos.  Such things do take me out of the story, making me wonder about director's choices, actors' choices, etc.  ...Especially when it comes to things like Holmes' haircut and styling and Watson's flatness (or is it restraint?). 

I do wish that Watson was less robotic, cold, reserved, or restrained; take your pick.  If Lucy Liu is up to the challenge the writers could still introduce a story arc that shows that she's been inhibiting herself due to some trauma from the past, and something could happen that would allow her to become more emotional.  I never read the original Holmes stories, but was the original Watson so...closed up?

I always thought the original Watson was there to balance the cold, unemotional Sherlock.  So odd to see the roles almost reversed, although this Sherlock is not exactly a warm, cuddly guy.  

And still searching for words to express how much I loved this episode.  Wow, just wow about all of them.  In a week when so much programming was repeats, this show and Criminal Minds just knocked it clear out of the park.  

• Love 1

I was relieved, but not specifically because he tossed it. They kept showing it in the previouslies, which was driving me bonkers because it put me on high-alert. So I was waiting the whole time to see: did he already use it sometime in the flashback, was he going to during the current ordeal, would we find out he'd gotten rid of it already, would he get rid of it now, etc. I was so distracted by having been re-presented with it I just wanted to see it resolved in some way, any way, didn't care what, because they'd dangled the carrot.

I suppose it was intentional. It made me watch all the flashbacks very carefully. The scene where he was sniffling: implied he'd snorted something? And later tossed the rest? But he didn't seem particularly under the influence in that scene, just emotionally distraught. Intentional misdirect? Was he crying-sniffling? Then tossed it? I'm still not sure which. And I'm also not sure whether it was supposed to be ambiguous, or a clear misdirect later clarified by his tossing what to me looked unopened.

So my relief was mainly that I now expect to not see that packet in any more previouslies. I think this episode would've stood better without any of them. I know people need to be caught up, but when it telegraphs too much I'd rather miss the reminder. I'm sure some focus group says otherwise...ugh.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

Is it wrong that I would have been fine with Kitty marinating Del in that special nutmeg concoction? I'm not a fan of vigilantism but I can get behind some cathartic fictional revenge when it's someone as sick and twisted as Del obviously was.

Kitty's "I love you" was well done and I think it showed how much growth she's had thanks to Sherlock. Now that she has learned to trust and gotten closure with Del, she is ready to live again.

• Love 7

Does this mean we get a spinoff centered around a renegade Kitty evading the law and solving crimes across the world? Man, do I hope so. She was by far my favorite thing about this season. And she was amazing in these last two episodes.

• Love 10

Buzzfeed article about Kitty's arc, and how it wasn't a typical rape-survivor's story. Seems some of the character's direction came from Lovibond herself.

It's an interesting article, and it proves the point that everyone sees the world from their own point of view.  There were some things mentioned that I thought was obvious, in a "of course that's what xxx meant when he/she said or did that".  There were other things that didn't match up with what I thought I was seeing.

Sometimes when things can be so wildly interpreted into different meanings, it's because the story was badly written.  When a story is told on video, things can be even more difficult for the audience to discern due to influences that creep in from the writers, the director, the actors, the editing, even the lighting or background music can muddy the waters.

The only real objection I have to the article was when the author said Kitty

“does not wish to be defined by her victimhood,” Sherlock tells Joan early on, and, granted this control over her story, Kitty attempts to give other women control over theirs.

I never once thought that Kitty was seeking permission to control her story, she simply found someone (Sherlock) who could support her in the way that she needed to gain that control, and when she moved to New York she found others that were also able to help her.

• Love 1

Actually, to me Kitty seemed pretty terrified throughout the episode. Trying to confront Gruner all by herself, she just seemed so shaken. (With very good reason, of course.) I feel like the moment of true empowerment came when Sherlock finished talking with her and walked away without another word, giving her the support and friendship she needed to know that he was 100% behind her, no matter what choice she made. Then it truly was in her hands, whatever decision she could make. 

You're right of course, but I was using the word "empowered" in a somewhat different sense than you are. What I meant is that the story empowered her to be a character with her own feelings and motives and not as a pawn to be used to further the plot. Throughout the episode, she's terrified and she makes choices which we may not agree with if a real person did them, but she is treated as a living character who makes decisions about what to do. The plot doesn't just happen to her. She drives part of it. Contrast this with many other shows where a woman is victimized and she ends up just sitting there as a motive for the other (usually male) characters to track down the criminal (I'm looking at you, Arrow). 

Plus, she physically beat down that guy, dragged him away, and tied him up all by herself. That's badass!

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 5

Am I the only one who had a crazy moment at the end when Joan told Sherlock that she had to wrap up some things with Gregson that SHE was the one who had burned Del? I had a split second where I thought that Kitty had indeed walked away, and then Joan went to him and used the nutmeg concoction...I guess that wouldn't work what with Joan, you know, being in prison and all! But hey, the writers had Patrick actually kill someone on The Mentalist, and he was out of jail in a couple of episodes.

I agree with everyone about the awesomeness of this episode, and the beautifully played dynamics between Sherlock and Kitty. I actually loved that Joan lost some of her aloof control when she confronted Del at the fundraiser. I'd like so see a bit more of that fiery Joan. I suspect that the second half of the season will be getting back to the bread and butter of Sherlock and Joan working cases together. I hope that Kitty can come back for another character arc.

• Love 1

I liked how they ended Kitty's arc, but I'm glad we're going back to a duo rather than a trio.

I knew Kitty wasn't going to kill Del, but I thought she'd scar his body -- didn't expect the acid to the face!

• Love 2

I took Kitty's "I love you" to be non-romantic love; more as I alway tell my friends that I love them.  Did others see it as her saying she was "in love" with him?

Now what we need is an episode entitled "Kitty's Back" (sorry, long long time Springsteen fan and that song goes back about 30 years) - and, I'll be fine with watching again without fast forwarding through much of Watson's scenes when she's not with Sherlock.

• Love 3

There were many things to like about this episode, so I shall start with that.

1.  Kitty and Sherlock’s relationship is a thing of beauty.  They have the requisite amount of affection and caring but not too much to where it ventures onto romantic.  I like that he told her point blank that no matter what she decided, he wouldn’t turn his back on her and they’d always be friends and Kitty’s telling him she loved him brought tears to my eyes.

2.  I liked that Kitty was obviously terrified of Gruner but she knew she had to face him so that she could finally be free.  I liked that Sherlock didn’t try to stop her once he figured out her plan because she had to come to her own decision, just like he had to regarding Moran, and I kind of love that she left Gruner alive but horribly scared—just like she is. 

3.  I liked watching just how far Kitty had come from her heart-breaking demeanor of sadness and brokenness in London (Kitty’s hunched shoulders, her barely making eye contact with men, flinching when the DI called her pretty), to finding her strength and new purpose in life as a detective in New York.  I do wonder what her family thinks of her changing her life so drastically—I hope she’s in contact with them.  I have no doubt her mom worries about her.

4.  I liked that in the end, Joan may not approve of what Kitty did, she understands it and is in no way interfering with Kitty’s choice. And let’s just say Gruner names Kitty as the person who threw acid on him, the cops are really going to take his word on it, a rapist and murderer who was also the person who hurt Kitty?  And Kitty has an alibi in that she was in London which I have no doubt that Sherlock will back up.

5.  It broke my heart seeing Sherlock crying alone in London and I like that he saw his new mentorship with Kitty as a way to help him stay sober.  I hope he realizes that he can rely on his own personal strength as well as Joan’s friendship in his sobriety.

Things I wasn’t too crazy about.

1.  Joan’s not believing Kitty about Gruner.  Why wouldn’t Joan believe her?  Kitty’s reaction to hearing Del’s voice was a dead giveaway to me and it’s not as if Kitty was walking around accusing people randomly.

2.  Joan’s getting angry at Sherlock with her “So it’s all about you.”  Actually her job offer was all about a rapist wanting the chance to get a former victim back in his clutches.

3.  Joan had to go to the charity event and confront Gruner directly before she believed it, as if no one else’s word is good enough for her.  Not cool.

All in all, I am sorry to see Kitty go, and I hope she comes back soon, maybe for May sweeps?  I liked her relationship with Sherlock, it was very sweet but also respectful.  He likes her, wants her to be happy and above all, continue honing her detective skills.  Good man.

And as much as I like Joan, she needs to remember that there is quite a lot she doesn’t know about detective work and that she can still learn a thing or two from Sherlock.  I hope they can get back to their friendship and partnership, because I miss it.

• Love 6

I took Kitty's "I love you" to be non-romantic love; more as I alway tell my friends that I love them.  Did others see it as her saying she was "in love" with him?

Now what we need is an episode entitled "Kitty's Back" (sorry, long long time Springsteen fan and that song goes back about 30 years) - and, I'll be fine with watching again without fast forwarding through much of Watson's scenes when she's not with Sherlock.

Bold mine - I didn't.  I think that she found the ability to trust in another person again through their relationship and that is something that had been taken away from her.  Not saying that she'll be able to automatically extend that trust to others in the future, but she'll at least know that it is possible.

• Love 3

I saw Sherlock crying, too. I have a question on that.  Why was he crying?  It was 6 months ago, according to the screen.  What happened then?  I know things hadn't worked out with MI5(?), but did something happen to his brother that I'm forgetting?  I know he went into hiding, and that's why Sherlock went to London to work for MI5, I mean after that.  Or was it a general sadness?  due to everything piling up? (brother, MI5, Joan's anger, etc).  He had been w/o the MI5 job for at least 2 months at this point since the flashbacks sstarted 8 months ago and at that time he said he was no longer with them.

• Love 1

3.  Joan had to go to the charity event and confront Gruner directly before she believed it, as if no one else’s word is good enough for her.  Not cool.

I think by that point she did already believe it was Gruner. That's why she went to the event. Like she told Sherlock, she went there and said the things she did in order to gauge his reactions. She wanted to see what would make him shift from his Mr. Cool demeanor. And he did; he cracked when he found out she had spoken to the adoptive mother of his child.

• Love 4
4.  I liked that in the end, Joan may not approve of what Kitty did, she understands it and is in no way interfering with Kitty’s choice. And let’s just say Gruner names Kitty as the person who threw acid on him, the cops are really going to take his word on it, a rapist and murderer who was also the person who hurt Kitty?  And Kitty has an alibi in that she was in London which I have no doubt that Sherlock will back up.

There's absolutely no way Kitty's London alibi would stand up, though. There will be no record of her leaving the US/entering London, and no one other than her pseudo-father figure to claim she was in London--whereas there WILL be a record of her leaving the US right after the attack on Gruner. And probably several eyewitnesses that can put her in JFK, let alone other eyewitnesses who may have seen her in various places around NYC--let alone if there's any forensic evidence left at the warehouse (I wouldn't think she would be so sloppy, but one never knows). Sadly, I think the cops pretty much have Kitty dead to rights here.

And truth be told, I don't actually know that Kitty would deny splashing acid on Gruner to the cops. I actually think it's more likely she would look them in the eye and say "Yep, I did it, and I don't regret it."

I don't think Joan disapproved of what Kitty did--I thought she left Sherlock in the hospital to let him say a private goodbye to Kitty. btw, count me as another one who's disappointed Joan and Kitty never got to say goodbye. Obviously Sherlock was the most important person for Kitty, but Joan was an important person and I really liked their relationship.

2.  Joan’s getting angry at Sherlock with her “So it’s all about you.”  Actually her job offer was all about a rapist wanting the chance to get a former victim back in his clutches.

Well, yeah, but who WOULDN'T be in denial at that moment? Who WOULDN'T want to believe it was all a mistake, as opposed to having to come to terms with the horrifying reality that you'd been set up and manipulated and targeted by a psychopath like Gruner? That she'd been working in close proximity with someone like that for weeks if not months, and that someone you thought was nominally a friend was a) a sadistic psychopath and b) just using you to target someone you love, who he'd already terribly hurt? I really can't blame Joan for being in denial in that moment. The reality is horrifying.

By the time she went to the charity event, Joan already believed--she wouldn't have gone and thrown all that shade at Gruner if she didn't. In fact, Joan believed at the end of her and Sherlock's first scene, when Gruner called her and fired her. Joan going to the charity event was pretty much 99% her being pissed at Gruner and wanting to claw back at him in some way. She kept her cool throughout most of the episode--largely, I think, because she knew SOMEONE had to keep a cool head and it was obvious Kitty and Sherlock couldn't (and I'm not at all blaming either of them for it, I think it's totally understandable, but it was clear both were compromised)--but that was a moment where she lost it. She could dress it up as an intelligence-gathering mission all she wanted--and on some level it was--but that wasn't really what going to the gala was about. It was about Joan wanting to lash out at Gruner.

And as much as I like Joan, she needs to remember that there is quite a lot she doesn’t know about detective work and that she can still learn a thing or two from Sherlock.

I don't disagree, but don't forget that Joan was the one who picked the key dead victim out of Sherlock's line-up (the woman who was the bio mother of Gruner's adoptive son). That was a pretty key insight--perhaps the key insight--for them nailing Gruner.

One of the things I liked about this episode was that it felt like Sherlock and Joan were really partners in solving the case. You saw moments where Sherlock's very intellectual/analytical approach was necessary, and when Joan's more intuitive/empathetic approach was what worked.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 7

I saw Sherlock crying, too. I have a question on that.  Why was he crying?  It was 6 months ago, according to the screen.  What happened then?  I know things hadn't worked out with MI5(?), but did something happen to his brother that I'm forgetting?  I know he went into hiding, and that's why Sherlock went to London to work for MI5, I mean after that.  Or was it a general sadness?  due to everything piling up? (brother, MI5, Joan's anger, etc).  He had been w/o the MI5 job for at least 2 months at this point since the flashbacks sstarted 8 months ago and at that time he said he was no longer with them.

I figured his "failure" with Kitty was the last straw.

• Love 5

Oh I agree that Joan has many valuable insights--as Kitty did before her--but Sherlock has been consulting for a good many years and he should be a step before her in thought processes.

I did love how Sherlock and Joan banded together to help Kitty--they are good parents :)

I do truly think that even if Gruner named Kitty as the acid-thrower, I don't think the police or the DA would go after her very hard, particularly has she was one of his torture/rape victims--mitigating circumstances out the wahzoo.

I was surprised there was not follow up on Gruner using the company cell to spy on Joan.  I was hoping that they would turn the technology against him and somehow spy right back.  Harold from Person of Interest needs to be one of Sherlock's Irregulars.

• Love 5

It was a beautiful episode. Kudos, show, for making me care about Kitty even despite the shaky beginnings of her arc. I wouldn't have minded if she did kill Gruner, though, and Sherlock and Watson couldn't prove his guilt. But they did, so making him live and suffer was a good compromise as well.

Throughout the episode, I was reminded of JLM's stint on season 5 of Dexter as a serial rapist (head of a rapist group, even) who was eventually killed by his escaped victim, played by Julia Stiles. He was so different as that character, though.

I'm sad to see Kitty go, but on the other hand... I think it was time. I would love to see her again later, though - or even have an entire episode about her adventure wherever it is she's going to. In the meantime, Watson should get some more focus and deal with her boyfriend (who, I assume, will get dumped soon).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

There's absolutely no way Kitty's London alibi would stand up, though. There will be no record of her leaving the US/entering London, and no one other than her pseudo-father figure to claim she was in London--whereas there WILL be a record of her leaving the US right after the attack on Gruner. And probably several eyewitnesses that can put her in JFK, let alone other eyewitnesses who may have seen her in various places around NYC--let alone if there's any forensic evidence left at the warehouse (I wouldn't think she would be so sloppy, but one never knows). Sadly, I think the cops pretty much have Kitty dead to rights here.

None of that matters. Gregson knew it was Kitty who did that to Gruner and pretty much came out and told Sherlock he was giving her a head start to get out of the country when he said "in a few hours [he'll] go in there and ask who did that to him." Then he walked away, giving Sherlock opportunity to do with that information what he will. Kitty is safe from Gregson. He will not be going to a lot of trouble and expense to try to locate a suspect who has left the country.

Edited by orzamonium
  • Love 2

Is it wrong that I would have been fine with Kitty marinating Del in that special nutmeg concoction? I'm not a fan of vigilantism but I can get behind some cathartic fictional revenge when it's someone as sick and twisted as Del obviously was.

I wish she hadn't maimed him. I think it is widely accepted that such actions psychologically injure the person dishing out the retribution. Plus, now I have to assume there will be some story about the scarred evil doer stalking more victims (like Pelant from Bones and the guy in SVU)--which I would not watch.

I figured his "failure" with Kitty was the last straw.

I also took it that way, but at the same time, in the scene he said it'd been a week since she left. So, I mean, I guess that tells us something if a week passed and he's still sitting by the fire bawling, but it did make me pause a moment. If it'd been later the same day of the storm off, basically that evening, it'd have been more obvious. Although even as I say that, over a major emotional upheaval, of course I've found myself crying a week later, or more. But from a story perspective it was just slightly jarring that she either happened to reappear when he was overcome to the point of tears on that particular evening, or he was so impacted that we're led to believe he's basically been crying on and off for the bulk of the day since the moment she left.

Or he also did use drugs at some point in there we have yet to find out about, and not only was he crying over the Kitty situation, but also at having done that.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1
I wish she hadn't maimed him. I think it is widely accepted that such actions psychologically injure the person dishing out the retribution.

Well, she's already psychologically injured, so I'm not sure this will make it worse.

Plus, now I have to assume there will be some story about the scarred evil doer stalking more victims (like Pelant from Bones and the guy in SVU)--which I would not watch.

They've found some pretty conclusive evidence. I could imagine him getting away, though, but it would feel rather contrived and predictable, so I hope the show won't do that.

• Love 1

I am really in the minority here, but I was not happy with Kitty disfiguring Gruner.  I say this as someone who liked Kitty right from the start.  And her part was really well written (and acted).  I understand she was scarred by her experience, but I don't think the eye for an eye really works.  I'm going to have to think about this episode some more, and even though Gruner was a heinous monster, I think she crossed a line. 

• Love 1

I think the show was committed to sticking to Kitty's story line from the books. Which is fine, I guess. But in actual life, I think Sherlock would have tried to talk Kitty out of killing or maiming not for the sake of Gruner, but for her own sake. He wants the best for her and that would not be going from one type of psychological prison to a life of hiding from the law. She may have freed herself of feeling like a victim, but now she is not free to live however she pleases. Joan and Sherlock should have realized the consequences Kitty would have to deal with.

But I don't think the show is going for realism, so never mind.... And realism probably would not have given us all the dramatic scenes that were so good.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2