Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: The One That Got Away

I don't recall canon Holmes ever cooking, but sometimes Elementary Holmes cooks when he's thinking (I want to say figgy pudding?) and then he throws it away.

Yorkshire pudding and Mmmm...

• Love 1

I still can't believe he went through all the trouble to make that and then threw it out. What if Joan wanted some? LOL. I miss those kinds of scenes. They should bring that back.

• Love 1
I still can't believe he went through all the trouble to make that and then threw it out. What if Joan wanted some?

In one episode he did ask her if she wanted some! Right after he'd thrown them out.

Her reply went along the the lines of "Umm, no, not now". 

Edited by basil
  • Love 2

LOL, I'd forgotten Joan's response! But I remember shaking my head at Sherlock, talking to the TV: "What did you just doooo?" If I'm going to take the time to bake something, I'm gonna eat it. *GRIN*  What a waste.

I love their old repartee like that. She doesn't have to live with him, but I do want that banter back. It was so much fun to watch.

First season Joan was fully willing to kick out Rhys, Holmes' ex-dealer/friend whose daughter had been kidnapped, when he toked up with marijuana.  This despite the fact that at the time she was legally no longer Sherlock's sober companion.

Just re watched the episode A Giant Gun, Loaded with Drugs. Joan was most definitely still Sherlock's legal sober companion. She never threatens to throw Rhys out. She makes him toss his marijuana, and warns him if he offers or even discusses drugs with Sherlock, she will report him to the police as a drug dealer. 

It is Sherlock who becomes enraged when Rhys tempts him with drugs (unbeknownst to Joan) and tells Rhys that once Rhys' daughter is found, Rhys is to leave and never contact him again.

Thanks, Athena. I think it was the first time we ever saw Sherlock cook, and I thought how interesting it was that he did - and then when he instantly threw it away, I fell about the place. That's such a great quirk for this Sherlock. Such a nice touch.

I still can't believe he went through all the trouble to make that and then threw it out.

He's done it twice, if I recall correctly.

Two things about this episode that I don't think have been discussed. When Kitty is trying to get Del to verbally respond to her, she remarks how unpleasant it must be to hear your name coming from the mouth of the person who is going to kill you - and that's why she changed hers. I wonder what her name was before - or was it Kitty that she changed it from and went back?

The other was just a brief moment, a bit of silent acting that this show does so well. It was after Joan returned from the gala. Joan said she'd seen the real Del, pulling up her sleeve to show the bruises Del left on her arm. The camera holds on Sherlock's face for a long time as he gazes at the bruises Del inflicted on Joan, saying nothing. I was wondering what he was thinking. Great work by JLM.

Edited by basil
  • Love 2

Was there a scene missing from this episode?  I recall that the previews for it from the previous episode show Sherlock apparently threatening Gruner with the V-shaped branding iron similar to the one used to scar Kitty.

Was there a scene missing from this episode?  I recall that the previews for it from the previous episode show Sherlock apparently threatening Gruner with the V-shaped branding iron similar to the one used to scar Kitty.

I didn't see the promo and haven't been able to find it anywhere, but yes, that's entirely possible. It is not uncommon for cuts to happen after promos have been released and has happened on this show before.

Not in New York. The only crimes that have no statute of limitations are homicides. Kidnapping in any degree is 5 years, like all the other felonies.

True.  I don't think she took him across state lines, so it might not be a federal case.  However, I know the FBI takes a special interest in kidnappings.

So Del tried to shame Kitty by telling her that he thought forever about her after she escaped, and the other girls suffered more for her getting away? He wanted her to think it was her fault? Did she beat him more before she let the cops find him?