Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Death Do Us

Monroe and Rosalee are finally off on their honeymoon, but that doesn’t mean trouble isn’t stirring in Portland. Nick and Hank are called to a shocking homicide at an abandoned residence many Portland locals think is haunted, even the survivors swear a ghost committed the murder. Meanwhile, on the heels of Juliette’s startling revelation Captain Renard seeks the help of a mystical woman (guest star Garcelle Beauvais) from his past.

• Love 1

This episode was highly entertaining. I was even right that it had to be an electric eel wesen, or one helluva huge lightning bug. It also led to the highly entertaining cure of piercing your ear and rubbing frog venom in it to render immunity to lightning. I guess every solution can't be an elephant gun or liquid nitrogen.

I think I'm really going to like Henrietta. I so covet Juliette's ability to blow up cars. That would be a cool power to have in real life. Pull out in front of me, and there's an earth shattering kaboom. I like that very much.

I did see the husband being the actual killer and the case of mistaken identity, but I'm not too disappointed about. The thing that really surprised me in this episode was Sean's bullet wounds spontaneously coming back.That made me pause. I guess Mommy is not such a bad ass Hexenbeist after all. She accidentally turned Juliette into a Hexenbeist, and she didn't heal her son. Oh well, Nick's still a Grimm, for now. One out of three is kind of a bad outcome.

• Love 2

I love that Nick's a detective and can't tell when Juliette's acting squirrely....

After the pillow talk and then again after the look on his face when Rosalee asked if Juliette was still having headaches, I was under the impression that Nick knows something's up with Juliette, but he is giving her room to tell him when she's ready.

...It also led to the highly entertaining cure of piercing your ear and rubbing frog venom in it to render immunity to lightning....

I was mentally yelling at Nick: No, you gorgeous idiot! You're supposed to pierce the Mantawhatever's ear and rub the frog stuff in it! Glad I was wrong. Can't wait until Juliette notices Nick's piercing, heh.
  • Love 2

How is it that they never learn with Juliette?! I really don't like the whole Hexenbeist Juliette but if you're going to do this story then do it. Don't drag it out...oh you need to talk to my friend who you won't actually meet until the last minute of the episode because drama! Oh and yay, more secrets and lies...

Other then that this was ok, it's actually fun having Wu in on the Wesson stuff, his reactions are entertaining. I also liked the bit with the ear piercing. I'm actually really curious about Renard...what's going on, is Mommy's magic back firing? Is Adiland messing with them? Miracle Baby Shenanigans?

• Love 4

Okay. I don't know what has happened this season but I love whatever they are doing.  3 really good to great episodes in a row!

That was some badass FX.

Renard took his shirt off

Juliette is not terrible. Although I don't like the whole thing with still not telling Nick

Renard took his shirt off.

Really like how they are integrating Wu.

And those previews YAY!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Enjoyed this episode, despite them taking the obvious and foolish route have having Juliette not tell Nick what is going on.  That dream was so silly; her subconscious really thinks that if Nick found out, he would just lose it and kill her?  Because that isn't the Nick I've seen these past few years.  But this Henryetta characters seems like she could be interesting, so I'll be patient.  At least it's not more Adalind/Viktor crap.

Renard's bullet-holes are coming back.  That's not good.

Enjoying Wu continuing to learn the ropes, and Nick/Hank taking him on some of the interviews and trailer.  Especially like that Hank is the one who is really taking the lead in that department.

Glad Monroe and Rosalee made it to their honeymoon.  At the rate their luck was going, I could easily see a bad layover, that would have caused them grief and even pain.

• Love 1

I loved when Hexeniette blew up the car and then said, "I didn't do that. Did I do that?"

I also like that Wu mentioned Nick told him he could go to the trailer whenever he felt he needed to, thereby clearing up some of our concerns from last week.  I'm still leery of the fries-fingers & soda cup condensation. LOL.

• Love 5

Like Prevailing Wind, I thought oh no, Mama is dead..

Also,like to add that I loved the scene when Nick and Hank reminded Wu that he had a "run in" with Adalind, because he ate her cookie....

"That's why you ate your carpet...."

D'oh! Lol...I think Wu might not be so quick to steal someone else's cookies anymore.

• Love 7

It was fun, if a bit predictable.

Rebecca Wisocky and Garcelle Beauvais were wonderful and got me to want to know more about them. Henryetta is intriguing  and I hope she can be a positive person for Juliette to know. If all blutbaden aren't terrors, that should apply to hexenbiests, imo. Lily, the second one dealing with a haunted house in two hours! *g*, was a bit sympathetic. You go over to commiserate with the other cheated on spouse, when he is actually your worst nightmare: a wesen with a grudge and enough power to do something about it. Yes, how do you tell the cops the truth while feeling overwhelming regret and shame and fear? Especially, as our guys know first-hand, that it would result with her in a mental facility.  I agree with Wu, it was murder, but I can see a court not accepting the case because Lily saved the Ghost Seeker's life. (C'mon writers; she wasn't defending herself. Lily was saving another life. )

Wu just keeps being cooler. I loved how he was told about his pica. Very, 'oh no; you were touched by a hexenbiest too'-kind of camaraderie. He and Hank are wonderful together.  Wu being eager, like Hank, is refreshing. He is enthusiastic to learn, but still our pragmatic snarker. I still haven't gotten over "you're no aswang!"

The detail of the realtor's picture being defaced was amusing. I am not for defacing property, but it's a freaking murder house and it felt natural.

After the pillow talk and then again after the look on his face when Rosalee asked if Juliette was still having headaches, I was under the impression that Nick knows something's up with Juliette, but he is giving her room to tell him when she's ready.

That's how I read Nick too. Still, I hope that Henryetta can get Juliette to a place to tell Nick sooner rather than later. Previews show that might be a possibility next week, so here's hoping!

• Love 4

I liked this episode even though it was another monster of the week. It was a bit weird that now that they've added Wu, Nick doesn't mess around. He just went up to that lady and was like, "Hey, I'm a Grimm and I know you're a wesen!" I'm not looking forward to next week when Adalind comes back. I liked this show a lot more less Adalind. I hope the writers will realize that she's too far gone to ever be a sympathetic character, as everyone pointed out, she has messed with all of them, even Wu because he ate her cookie.

I love that Nick's a detective and can't tell when Juliette's acting squirrely.  I figure we won't have Juliette's secret come out until the end of February sweeps.

How is it that they never learn with Juliette?! I really don't like the whole Hexenbeist Juliette but if you're going to do this story then do it. Don't drag it out...oh you need to talk to my friend who you won't actually meet until the last minute of the episode because drama! Oh and yay, more secrets and lies...

I do not want Juliette's Hexenbeist story to drag out for the rest of the season. If I didn't care about her story when she wasn't conscious & talking, I certainly am not interested in her when she is. I'm hoping that the secret will be out next week because of the previews (I can't remember if they are a spoiler or not, so I'll spoiler tag them) 

I'm guessing that whoever the guy is, when he breaks into the house, at some point she's going to get mad & woge & take him out, & that's how Nick finds out.

• Love 1

Not bad. All I kept thinking about the Wesen of the week was that he badly needed to wear some plastic gloves if he wanted to hug people so badly. Even blood thirsty crazy yellow hobo Wesen need love too!

What was with Renard randomly getting shirtless? Fanservice for the female audience? Thank god Nick and Hank didn't actually go along the honeymoon with Monroe and Rosalee. Also it was nice to be Adalind and Vicktor free for this episode. I hope the Henrietta on this show will become as kickass as the Henrietta from Fringe. Juliette's nightmare of Nick killing her was totally pointless, and only done for the previews as I suspected.

DAMMIT Juliette! Tell Nick!

• Love 1

Okay. I don't know what has happened this season but I love whatever they are doing.  3 really good to great episodes in a row!

That was some badass FX.

Renard took his shirt off

Juliette is not terrible. Although I don't like the whole thing with still not telling Nick

Really like how they are integrating Wu.

And those previews YAY!

I think Renard should just go around without a shirt! I seriously can't stand Juliette. I find her character just insufferable. Couldn't we just have 3 bachelors running around hunting Wessen and hanging at the bar??

• Love 6

I've got to be honest, not my favorite episode. It wasn't horrible, but it did drive me a little crazy.

What I did like:

- A bit of a view into Nick and Juliette's normal (ish) life. This has long bugged me about this show--TPTB spend so much time focusing on Monroe and Rosalee that they completely forget that the MAIN CHARACTER of this show has a life and a relationship. I know others may not agree with me, but I think one of the main reasons why Juliette's character is so well, you know, is that the writers/producers/directors do absolutely nothing with her.

- I was worried about Wu being in on things and how it might make things more "crowded," but so far they're handling it well.

- We got shirtless Nick AND shirtless Renard!

- That whole scene when Juliette's reading and Nick want's to cut the small talk...other than the hexenbiest component, that was a scene that the hubs and I totally got (and that's all I say about that).

- The victim, Theo Hinckley, had a very similar name to an asswipe I used to work with, so every time they mentioned his name, I got all warm and fuzzy feeling thinking of my ex-coworker fried...

This falls both into the "what I liked" and "what drove me crazy" category:

- Nick COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS that anything is up with Juliette. On one hand, I'm like, "Gee Nick, YOU ARE A GRIMM! OPEN YOUR EYES!" and, on the other, I'm like, "eh, well, you know, he's a guy...."

Okay, what drove me crazy:

- Not overly in love with the Wessen of the Week plot. It wasn't horrible, but when the most memorable part is Hank piercing Nick's ear....

- I was one of those who completely understood why Juliette did not immediately tell Nick and why she went to Renard but, really, WHY ARE THEY MAKING THIS SO DIFFICULT? Juliette knows that Nick de-biested Adalind and she must know HOW he did it. My first thought, if I were in her case, is which cabinet door I should leave open so he could walk into it and cut is head. Even if this is completely lost on Juliette, Renard should have just advised her to put some dull blades in Nick's razor and then lay a wet one on him when he cuts himself (well, I will admit that it hasn't been looking like NIck has been spending that much time shaving lately, but oh well...). Then, if the writers want to go a bit deeper on this, have there be some reason why Nick's blood won't work, THEN start introducing more mysterious women.

- Speaking of which, I'm done with the mysterious women. Really, when has this ever worked out for them?

- Also, Renard's connection of Henrietta made it sound like he had been in Portland since fleeing is fictional European kingdom as a boy. Sorry, but Renard is the least Portland-ish character in that show...and that's saying a lot for all the cops with Brooklyn accents...I didn't buy it in a second.

I do have good feelings about next week's episode though...bounty hunters are usually fun (although the last time they did something like this--the guy with the scalp coat--it was ultimately disappointing, so who knows....)

ETA one more thing that drove me crazy: The pointless scene of the facetime conversation with Monroe and Rosalee on their honeymoon from the Island of Under Contract to be in Every Episode, Worst. Greenscreen, Ever. Also, who facetimes with their friends on their honeymoon? And how come I never get resolution that clear when I facetime with people?

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

That was an interesting episode. I liked it for the most part. But I do wish Juilette would just tell Nick already. Seriously no point on dragging it out. I did really like that scene in the trailer, "that's why you ate your carpit" and Wu's "oh". And of course the bit with the ear.

Edited by blueray

I liked this episode. I just wish Juliette would tell Nick about her little problem.

I do like Hexenbiest Juliette though. I liked how she blew the hood off that asshole guys car. 'Did I do that?' That was great!

I hope the lady who's suppose to help her get rid of her powers doesn't make her go thru all the gross stuff that Adalind had to go thru to get her powers back.

Can't wait to see what happens next, especially with Renards wounds bleeding like that.

Also love that Wu is finally part of the Wesen busters gang.

Edited by Straycat80

The detail of the realtor's picture being defaced was amusing.

And I especially loved the detail that the realtor was Suzanne Acker (the cop's sister from the last episode).

Say what you will about the writers, but they know their audience. The bullet hole storyline will provide them with ample excuses to have Renard take off his shirt.

The haunted house scene at the beginning was really, really creepy.

• Love 6

See? Nick did give Wu permission to use the trailer whenever he needed to. I liked the flashback to the Season 1 episode when Wu ate the cookie and then the carpet. Finally, now he knows. Loved seeing Rebecca Wisocky too. She's really making the rounds lately, she was a guest on Once Upon a Time this season too. She's one of those actresses who always manages to grab your attention.

I've been watching some of the Season 1 reruns on TNT and it strikes me how much better the show used to be, although having Nick, Hank and now Wu all "in the know" didn't bother me as much as I expected. What's clear is the show never had any real idea where they were going with Renard and that's become more painfully obvious with the passing of each season.

Since Henrietta is supposed to be an old friend of Mom Renard and a super-knowledgeable wesen, I wish that Mom Renard had consulted with Henrietta prior to saving Renard's life and attempting to re-Grimm Nick.  If she had, then we could have been spared the whole Hexenette "I can't tell Nick--he'll have to kill me!" and Renard relapse plot twists and get back to the Grimm/wesen storylines.

That being said, I hope that that preview of the bounty hunter surprising Juliette in Nick's and her house means that the Hexenbiest-Juliette reveal occurs next week.  Too much secret-keeping.  I don't blame Juliette; the character is only doing what the writers are making her do.  Stupid writers!

Liked the ear-piercing thing.  Totally off-the-wall and it relieved the otherwise dark tone of the episode.

I can buy Nick's apparent obtuseness about Rosalee's mention of the headaches, and the not tonight, dear scene in bed is open to many interpretations.  But he should have noticed Juliette being all abruptly outa there in the trailer when they could have maybe used an extra set of eyes, after she said she was there to study up and be helpful.  He should have wondered about that.

• Love 2

And I especially loved the detail that the realtor was Suzanne Acker (the cop's sister from the last episode).

Thank you.  I knew her name was familiar, but I just couldn't place it.  Oh, so soon we forget!  (getting old is not for sissies.)  THANKS.

• Love 3

Overall, I liked this episode because if felt like a season 1 episode. No, royals, no baby, etc... I also liked:

-Renard shirtless (yes more of that please)

-A new Wesen

-Wu actually knowing but doing research on his own!

What I didn't like is that Juliette is still keeping the Hexenbeist secret from Nick. Personally, I would like Juliette to just have Nick to sit down and say that she turned into a hexenbeist but she thinks it's from Momma Renard's spell and she is working with Renard (and whoever the new hexenbeist is called) to "cure" this. Plus, she didn't go to Rosealee because of what happened with Monroe and also doesn't want to bother them on their honeymoon. 

• Love 1

Thog, that's what makes it Art!  *g*

I believe that Juliette is within days of finding out about her hexening, like third and fourth day as of this episode. Two of those days were spent trying to calm Rosalee/ protect her and looking/ rescuing Monroe( and Bud as well). Like I said last week, I can be patient for a little bit, but next episode had best get some movement on this, as per the previews.

I did like the lady Ghost Seeker, when Hank is piercing Nick's ear: "What kind of cops are you?!" *g*

• Love 1

Nah, there's enough of a peen fest on most procedurals.

But this would be a peen fest with FUR. Completely different thing.

Since Henrietta is supposed to be an old friend of Mom Renard and a super-knowledgeable wesen, I wish that Mom Renard had consulted with Henrietta prior to saving Renard's life and attempting to re-Grimm Nick.  If she had, then we could have been spared the whole Hexenette "I can't tell Nick--he'll have to kill me!" and Renard relapse plot twists and get back to the Grimm/wesen storylines.

I think that's exactly why the writers didn't have her talk to Henrietta first.

I think there's a lot going on with Juliette not wanted to tell Nick about her situation.  I believe that on one level she's afraid of what would happen with their relationship, as witness her dream.  On another level, Juliette is a little sick of being a victim and having to run to Nick, Monroe and Rosalee every time there's some Wesen weirdness and she wants to deal with this situation on her own ( or at least under her own impetus).  Finally, I think there's got to be part of her that doesn't really want to be cured.  Through episode 9 she was thinking "I'm a monster!"  At this point Juliette has to think "I am monster and it saved my life."  Considering the scenes from the next episode, it's quite possible she'll have reason to think "I'm a monster and it saved Nick's life."

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

I think Renard should just go around without a shirt! I seriously can't stand Juliette. I find her character just insufferable. Couldn't we just have 3 bachelors running around hunting Wessen and hanging at the bar??

Don't forget Rosalee. That chick can hang with the dudes and probably drink them under the table and beat them all at pool.

How about Trubel? (Seeing as how she has been at least mentioned in every single episode since she left, it's a fair guess the writers don't want us to forget about her.) Throw her and her "take no shit" violent streak into the mix and I'd watch that show!

I loved when Hexeniette blew up the car and then said, "I didn't do that. Did I do that?"

I think that's the most expressive I've ever seen her be. 

The pointless scene of the facetime conversation with Monroe and Rosalee on their honeymoon from the Island of Under Contract to be in Every Episode, Worst. Greenscreen, Ever.

Yeah, but contract for every episode just means they get paid whether they're in it or not, and have to be available to be in it and not doing other things. It doesn't actually mean they have to be in every episode. I think it was either intended to be super clunky product placement, or superclunky "someone needs to ask her about the headaches again in front of Nick." I do agree about worst greenscreen ever. It looked like generic high school news show let's play with greenscreen.
  • Love 2

You know, I can see all the logical and plot reasons why Juliette should tell Nick, but to be perfectly honest, if I were in her shoes, I'd handle it exactly the way she is. I know it's probably not the smartest way to handle it, but I have a tendency to be both stubborn and independent, and I wouldn't say anything to him until I'd thoroughly investigated it, explored all my options and had my own plan in place. It would probably get me in trouble, and might even jeopardize any relationship I was in, but that's just what my inclination would be. So I can't really blame Juliette at all.

And I also kind of want the ability to blow up the cars of people who piss me off. If I were her, I might be weighing the pros and cons of getting back to "normal."

I did love the moment when the guys realized that they'd all been messed with by Adalind.

• Love 8

I liked this episode as well and it got me thinking about how the episodes that do not have Adalind and The Royals are always vastly superior to the episodes with them present. Naturally this means in another episode or two, Adalind (perhaps she is a Succubus and not a Hexenbeast) and The Royals will once again be the focale point of the show and will suck all the momentum and life out of the show.

I lied that they actually used Renard in both storylines. I think SR is actually a good actor who has been under utilized on the show.

• Love 1

I thought it was funny it turned out that Nick and Hank were only kidding about going on Monroe and Rosalee's honeymoon, because they were so deadpan I honestly wasn't sure.

The Royals will once again be the focale point of the show and will suck all the momentum and life out of the show.

It doesn't have to, though - that's what's so frustrating. If we knew what the hell was going on with that storyline it wouldn't be so intrusive and annoying. We know Viktor and Adalind are on their way to Portland, because they're trying to find the baby, because . . . why? This baby is so important because . . . why? It has Royal blood, and it's part Hexenbiest, which is important because . . . why? The Royals are important because . . . why?

I can't figure out if we don't know what's going on because the writers think they're keeping us in suspense or if it's because they're making this shit up as they go along and even they don't have any real idea where it's going. More and more I suspect it's the latter.

• Love 4

I don't want Juliette to just tell Nick.  To me that would be boring, and they're trying so hard to make Juliette unboring.  I want the drama of something happening where she turns into a Hexenbiest in front of Nick. 

• Love 2

But what if you were concerned this thing could take over and make you kill the other person? Like, say you had a mental illness, and it included homicidal thoughts about your significant other? Say those thoughts were overtaking you. Now, you're looking into getting cured, but you're not yet. So you lie there at night contemplating getting a knife and killing your SO. The thoughts become overwhelming. You fantasize about it. Not telling that person is putting their life in danger.

As evidenced by Juliette blowing up the car, she has no control over her powers when she gets upset. She had no intention of blowing up the car. It just happened. She couldn't even imagine she'd done it. So what if Nick pisses her off? What then? Nick is not in Grimm mode when he's with her. He sleeps next to her. He lets his guard down around her. He has no idea she can now possibly kill him and not even intend to.

I'm not sure how true the latter part is.  I think Juliette has some degree of subconscious control over her abilities.  When fighting for her life against that Wesenrein Blutbad, she blew out his skull.  Despite being angry at the car guy, she blew up his car, not him.  I think her hexenbiest form is a bit like the Hulk.  It's not under her conscious control yet, but it's not going to do anything that Juliette wouldn't be willing to do.  Juliette is willing to kill to protect herself and other people (as witness her shooting a Wesenrein dead earlier in episode 10), so it skullnuked that guy to save her.  Meanwhile, Juliette's control seems to be increasing since she now seems to be able to consciously Woge and unWoge.

I have to admit I'm a little on the side of "Don't tell Nick yet" because I kind of want Nick to suck on the sticky end of "I got a secret."  His secrecy about being a Grimm helped place Juliette in mortal danger on several occasions.  During "Game Ogre" the Ogre in question invaded their house and almost beat Nick to death before Juliette saved him by throwing boiling water into, the thing's eyes and driving it off.  Nick should've either clued her in right there or broken up with her.  He did neither, which set her up for getting kidnapped by a Dämonfeuer.  It also left Juliette in the position of still trusting Adalind, which allowed for that whole length coma story.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 4

I have to admit I'm a little on the side of "Don't tell Nick yet" because I kind of want Nick to suck on the sticky end of "I got a secret."  His secrecy about being a Grimm helped place Juliette in mortal danger on several occasions.  During "Game Ogre" the Ogre in question invaded their house and almost beat Nick to death before Juliette saved him by throwing boiling water into, the thing's eyes and driving it off.  Nick should've either clued her in right there or broken up with her.  He did neither, which set her up for getting kidnapped by a Dämonfeuer.  It also left Juliette in the position of still trusting Adalind, which allowed for that whole length coma story.

I agree with this, though it's never seemed to work out all that well for anyone Nick or Team Nick has deliberately kept in the dark about things for any length of time. There have always been nasty consequences for the misled, like all the things that befell Juliette and both Hank and Wu's doubting their sanity.

On the other hand, this show is all about how secret identities impact not only the person but the people around him/her. It'll be interesting to see if the writers don't get tempted to make this another case of bad things happening and do something good with it. So far, the longer the identity secret gets drawn out the worse the consequences have been by the time of the reveal, so for that alone I hope it gets out there ASAP.

ETA: I am so using "skullnuked" the first chance I get.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 1

But no. They need to draaaaaaaaaaaaaag stuff out to where you just have to sit there and fanwank on why she's not telling him all of a sudden, even though it was her very first instinct to do! What's changed from the Juliette who immediately wanted to tell Nick and now, except that she's realized she has no control over her powers and could possibly harm him or fearing he won't recognize her and kill her? It seems to me they've given her MORE reason to tell Nick, not less.

Exactly.  She was going to tell him, but all hell started breaking loose.  So within the story they were telling, she should be enlisting his help now that Monroe and Rosalee are safe.   She totally knows what happened when Nick took forever and lots of close calls before telling her his secret.  Being secretive about something so important is not smart, and if you aren't going to tell your partner something this significant because you want to handle it yourself, well then, why be in a relationship.  That kind of negates the relation part.

Have we been given an in-show reason for Juliette to keep her wild side a secret, or is it just because that's what characters on this show always do? Kind of a reflexive thing for the show's writers at this point? 

And as for the dream fakeout beheading? That is such a tv cliche these days that I just rolled my eyes and waited impatiently for it to be over.

• Love 1

Being secretive about something so important is not smart, and if you aren't going to tell your partner something this significant because you want to handle it yourself, well then, why be in a relationship. That kind of negates the relation part.

That's the thing- I don't think she realizes just how significant this is. She needs to realize real quick though- she's blowing things up for goodness sakes! When Nick wanted to have sex, I was scared for him. With everything that's been going on, I don't think she wants to rock the boat again. Especially since they'll most likely need Monroe & Rosalee's help. She shouldn't be hanging with Renard either. Sooner or later, Nick's going to realize that something's not right. If he sees Juliette & Renard together, he may think they're sleeping together again. Clearly Renards mother has no idea what she's doing. First Juliette's "side effect". Now Renard is having his own side effect. I really hope he's ok.