Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: And The City Of Light / S01.E10: And The Loom Of Fate

I thought both of these were very good episodes.  '...And the City of Light' showed that not all stories can end happily, although at least the 87 original townspeople weren't totally gone--they would just have to wait another hundred years to be brought back.  It was sad that Stone lost the girl, though.  Until we knew what was happening it was kind of creepy--ghostly figures and random gas lights in the forest.

'...And the Loom of Fate' was the usual skipping-through-alternate-timelines clichés, but I like it.  I didn't quite catch why the people in Librarian Jones' world were ghosts, though.  It had something to do with the refuge house, right?  Also, was that Jerry O'Connell as younger Dulaque with a pretty bad English accent?  (Don't get me wrong, I like him, but the accent wasn't very good.) 

Finally, is Baird not going to be around next season?  I know that Flynn said he was gone after the first episode, but he came back.  However, this ending seemed like Baird was no longer the guardian and that the three librarians would be on their own--either separately or together.  And what about Jenkins--I hope he's not gone from their adventures now that the library is back and the annex isn't really needed.  Maybe he'll pop in now and then.  So many unanswered questions, but I was mostly satisfied with how it ended.

• Love 1

I think the ending leaves two possibilities (assuming it gets renewed, which all the numbers indicate it should): next season will still focus each episode on an individual cases but not with every character always appearing, or next season will multiple cases going on in each episode. I'm hoping for the latter, since that seems more ambitious.

Also, was that Jerry O'Connell as younger Dulaque with a pretty bad English accent?

He wasn't credited, but I think that was him.  It sure looked like it.  And, he is married to Rebecca Romjin after-all, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for him to show up for a few scenes.

Decent final two episodes.  I'm glad Jake got to be front and center in the first one, even though it was obvious he was going to fall for Mabel (although, for a 130 year-old, she is quite the looker...)  But, I did like that they weren't able to save the souls; at least yet; showing that not everyone can have a happy ending all the time.

The actual final episode was fun enough.  I liked how a lot of the past cases played a part in the endgame.  Not just how they acquired the items, but even Baird's having to be "Santa", ended up playing a factor.  And, how the haunted house was messing things up in Ezekiel timeline.  I also got a kick out of how everyone was as "The Librarian": Jake as some kind of rugged action hero (reminded me of Nathan Drake from the Uncharted video game series), Ezekiel playing scientist in a lab-coat, and Cassandra going full fantasy sorceress.  I figured it would all work out in the end, but it was still fun.  Although, if this is really it for both Dulaque and Lamia, their exists were kind of anti-climatic (especially Lamia.)

The ending felt like it could work as a series finale, but I think the show will be back.  I do wonder what there plan is, now that Flynn sent the trio out by themselves, but Baird is now with him.  Also, I still wonder if the plan is for Flynn to be made a regular now that Noah Wyle is done with Falling Skies.  And, what will happen to Jenkins?  Is he going to hang out in the library or stay at the annex?

• Love 3

I'm only on the gaslight episode. I didn't like that they took Biard out of the episode, but I like that it was a loss. That happens. I like that Jones was pissed about it too. I also like that RR is left handed, and we're pretty close in age, so just in case. This was more of a scifi episode and really could have fit right in with Warehouse 13, so I'm good with that. There was also some swooning going on. I mean, really, is there ever a bad episode when Telsa is involved?

• Love 1

Stone as Librarian reminded me of his role in Secondhand Lions. The costume was even really similar.

I watched City of Light twice but kept missing how they got trapped. And in addition to rebuilding the capacitor, did they need to repair the gas lamps? And make sure nothing happened to them in the next 100 years, since Mabel's not there to protect and ground?

• Love 2

Just started to watch and I liked it.  I liked Kane in Leverage.  It is clean, fun and not expecting deep stories but am interested in seeing where it goes from here. 

The humor and adventure keeps me checking back.  If fate does have a hand in what happens, wouldn't they be better off together...lol. 

Also, was that Jerry O'Connell as younger Dulaque with a pretty bad English accent?  (Don't get me wrong, I like him, but the accent wasn't very good.) 

He wasn't credited, but I think that was him.  It sure looked like it.  And, he is married to Rebecca Romjin after-all, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for him to show up for a few scenes.

It was Jerry O'Connell (they tweeted about it).

Liked what they did with the final. Plenty of material for AU fan fiction ;-) But will have to rewatch to sort some of my thoughts

Not knowing where else to put this, but a tiny remark: I think merging the episode topics just because they aired on one day back-to-back is not so clever when the episodes stand pretty much on each their own. It made maybe sense for the first two, but I would prefer to discuss the final on its own and not mix it with City of Lights.

Edited by katusch
  • Love 4

It was my understanding that when Flynn found the Library, it then became attached or connected to the annex under the bridge.  This way we can still have Jenkins, the annex, AND the original library.

If we get a new season, the three newbie Librarians might go off individually to solve a case, but as this season ended, they ended up going off to Peru on Cassie's quest voluntarily, so I suspect they will pretty much stay together.

• Love 1

Absolutely love this little show and the characters, I am so hoping that they renew it. On a totally shallow note, ever since Leverage and now this I would kill to have just one night alone with Christian Kane.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 3
The actual final episode was fun enough.  I liked how a lot of the past cases played a part in the endgame.  Not just how they acquired the items, but even Baird's having to be "Santa", ended up playing a factor.  And, how the haunted house was messing things up in Ezekiel timeline.  I also got a kick out of how everyone was as "The Librarian": Jake as some kind of rugged action hero (reminded me of Nathan Drake from the Uncharted video game series), Ezekiel playing scientist in a lab-coat, and Cassandra going full fantasy sorceress.  I figured it would all work out in the end, but it was still fun.  Although, if this is really it for both Dulaque and Lamia, their exists were kind of anti-climatic (especially Lamia.)

This must be a carry-over trait from the Leverage team: nothing on that show was truly throw away, it all wrapped around and came back again.  Rogers/Devlin (& their team) are great together.

It's against the weather?

• Love 3

I also enjoyed how everything they did in the first 9 episodes played a role in the finale. And, whoever here had Jenkins as Galahad, nice job. Jerry O'Connell also played a character on one of the episodes of RR's last series.

I think next season, while we might see an episode where one of them junior librarians takes on the majority of the quest, I think it will most often be that we see one of them returning from an off-screen mission when they are called to the Library to assist the others in handling a more serious crisis needing all of their different talents. Eve and maybe Flynn will have major roles in those cases. 

I also agree that the episode threads should be separated.

I am very sad to see the show end--it wasn't nearly enough episodes.  Fingers crossed we get another season and since they started filming this one around the end of March hopefully they'll be on the same schedule and we won't have too long to wait before we find out.

The ending reminded me of the finale for the first season of Leverage.  Since they didn't know if they were going to get a second season or not they ended the show as if it was their last--separating the characters and blowing up the offices.  John Rogers commented a lot on how they had to basically reset the show and think of a reasonable story to bring everyone back.  They did a good job on that so I'm sure if The Librarians gets picked back up they'll figure out a way to bring Baird back into the fold (assuming RR wants to come back).

Absolutely love this little show and the characters, I am so hoping that they renew it. On a totally shallow note, ever since Leverage and now this I would kill to have just one night alone with Christian Kane.

Since we're being shallow, I will admit I was irrationally jealous of Mable to the point where I had to leave the room when it looked like they were going to kiss.  Don't judge me!

• Love 1

This show is surprisingly fun to watch. Even though I felt the season finale was a bit rushed, it did tie everything together nicely. It made me interested in how those alternate worlds developed, which is a good thing.

If this was a series finale, it was a good one. But I hope the show comes back, though I'm not sure how they can now that the premise has been sewn up. And I agree with whoever said that Dulaque and Lamia kind of went out anticlimatically. I did like the touch where in Cassandra's world she was Cassandra's loyal protector. It was also kind of funny that Ezekiel found some way to profit from being a Librarian in his world.

The ending felt like it could work as a series finale, but I think the show will be back.  

That's a smart move that Devlin/Rogers also did with "Leverage."  Make every season ending able to stand as a series ending.

• Love 2

Get a better budget and better special effects for next season, give the scripts another round of punch-ups

That, and hopefully the next season won't have as much Executive Schedule Meddling - other than the first and last episodes, I don't think any of them were where they were meant to be arc-wise.

• Love 2

The ending felt like it could work as a series finale, but I think the show will be back.  I do wonder what there plan is, now that Flynn sent the trio out by themselves, but Baird is now with him.  Also, I still wonder if the plan is for Flynn to be made a regular now that Noah Wyle is done with Falling Skies.  And, what will happen to Jenkins?  Is he going to hang out in the library or stay at the annex?

I think they're going to see what worked with viewers and what didn't and go accordingly.

In what mythology would a "loom of fate" be sitting unattended?

• Love 2

I really loved the alternate timelines - They made a whole lot of sense, and were just pure fun. Ezekiel was less of an ass, because Baird had spent a decade instilling sense in him. But still, you know, Ezekiel.

Jake Stone is Lara Croft, and she hit it for a decade. And the kiss and the Nope's? I about fell off my chair. 

But Cassandra's timeline was just magical. Lamia being her devoted minion, the implication that she out and out made friends with La Fay? So much love. The implication that alt-Baird v3 was in a relationship with her was just the perfect cherry on top.

• Love 1

Was Dulaque actually killed, or just banished to the past or something like that?  If he's gone, then will Morgan Le Fay be the big 'baddie' next year?  I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I was happy to see Jones be portrayed better.  He wasn't so over-the-top and as much of an arrogant jerk as in earlier episodes.  I like the character, but his actions and attitude were annoying at times.

I do prefer the stories where the four are all working together and contributing. So, I'd like to see a second season with more episodes like the stem fair. So maybe each one takes the 'lead' every so often when their book lights up, or Jenkins calls them all in together for a big mission. They pointed out on several occasions in the finale that one librarian missed a key detail that another picked up on. 

It seems like NW really has fun with the role. Which is great because I can't stand Saint Tom Mason. I don't think he needs to be a regular though. If it was me, I'd have a mid to late season two parter with a big mission where he comes in. Now that the library is back, I'm sure there's tons of shit to do, and he can always be running around on side missions. Or maybe Flynn stays at the library and they stay at the annex and run over there when they need something. 

Baird's "nope nope nope nooooopppeee" was like Lana on Archer. I was dying. She stalked off scream and was waving her hand all over the place. It was sad that she died in all the timelines, but it was also nice that her influence on everyone seemed to be positive. 

I also like the implication that Cassandra's tumor can be fixed with magic, but that there could be a cost. 

I didn't have a problem with JOC english accent. 

• Love 5

Now that the Library is back, this means that they will also have regained access to the Large Collections Annex (which was in the 3rd movie), which would be kind of cool.

So, since Dulaq is Lancelot, and Jenkins is Galahad and Morgan LeFay is out there somewhere on Earth -- some have theorized that Judson might be King Arthur.  But I suspect that Judson is someone else who is much, much, much older than the bunch from the Camelot era.

I know next to nothing about the Arthurian legends but if this show gets another season I may have to do some reading.  And brush up on my Greek myths while I'm at it.  Is it normal to do homework for a TV show?

• Love 5

Zero point energy built the pyramids. I can't even.

Zero point energy, pyramids, Doorway to Heaven - being an SG1/SGA fan, I tend to forget the 1994 movie, but Devlin was part of that.  I did think that zero point energy was an SG1 thing...

Great season and finale.  I love so much how they wrapped up everything together, all the adventures had reasons and the Library knew how to come back, it just had to get everyone and everything working right.  I'm definitely hoping for another season to see how they continue the story, now that Flynn is back.  I hope there's a way to bring back Lamia too, I like her character.

It was nice seeing Cassandra as more confident and Ezekiel less of an asshole.  Jake, well, he's already perfect, though it was nice seeing his 'improved' fighting skills.  :) 

I'm all on board for Arthurian legend myth and more of that too next season.

• Love 2

Funny how much I have grown to like the crazy, makes no damn sense show. Do we know if it's coming back or cancelled?

I saw a news story (entertainment news, that is) yesterday asking readers to comment on whether or not there should be second season so I'm guessing they don't know one way or another yet.   But, on John Rogers vlog for each episode he talks about things that will happen in season 2.  Not what might happen, but what will happen, so he seems pretty confident about another season.  And Dean Devlin said he'd do this show for the rest of his life if he could (paraphrasing).  Hopefully there's something to back up their optimism.  I also read that the rating were great for the first episode, slipped afterwards but remained steady and still pretty high--in Rizzoli & Isles territory (which I guess is good?).

It was nice seeing Cassandra as more confident and Ezekiel less of an asshole.  Jake, well, he's already perfect, though it was nice seeing his 'improved' fighting skills.  :) 

As soon as the bad guy went flying through the air I had a feeling punchy Christian Kane was about to make an appearance.  Now that Baird has Flynn to guard maybe she'll train Jake to fight so he can guard the others.  I miss watching him fight.

• Love 2

I think it was established that all three librarians fill out hiates in each others knowledge, so I assume they'll mostly stick together if there is a second season. I'm not thrilled that the library is back, but I appreciate that they went with a stand alone mini series, that still has room for more stories. If there is a second season I want way less Flynn and very little lame cgi library though.

I've never seen any of the movies, and I agree with those who say as little Flynn as possible...he's insufferable. I hope they come up with another reason to send him mostly off for season 2. If  he's in most or all of season 2 I don't think even Christian Kane can keep me watching.

Flynn would probably be tolerable filling the role Artie had in Warehouse 13 of being a back-home information provider. It'd be unrealistic to think the others, even combined, would just happen to have the right knowledge when it's needed every time.

My mind wandered a little during City of Light.  Am I correct in thinking the love interest girl died for nothing?  Like it didn't even really help anybody for her to die?  I find that sadder than if she'd nobally sacrificed herself to save the gang or her townfolk.  Surprised they went there with a relatively frothy show.

Really enjoyed part 2.   Loved that the stuff they'd collected in previous eps would be the solution.  Didn't see that coming.  Wish we could have spent a little more time in each alternate timeline because I found that really fun.  I initially thought i was the only one reading into Cassandra's tone when saying she never thought of Eve a a mother.  I blame years of Xena fandom but apparently am not alone.  Hope somebody is writing fan fic somewhere. 

I think having them split up too much is a mistake.  It would be hard to write engaging stories since this kind of show like Leverage needs the interactions to really sell the plot.  I am however hopeful since they immediately decided to go with Cassandra to Peru.  Favorite throwaway line-Ex-Eliot to Thief guy regarding him note being a REAL Librarian "That was a PITY notebook"  or whatever their magic books are called.

• Love 1

My mind wandered a little during City of Light.  Am I correct in thinking the love interest girl died for nothing?  Like it didn't even really help anybody for her to die?  I find that sadder than if she'd nobally sacrificed herself to save the gang or her townfolk.  Surprised they went there with a relatively frothy show.

Really enjoyed part 2.   Loved that the stuff they'd collected in previous eps would be the solution.  Didn't see that coming.  Wish we could have spent a little more time in each alternate timeline because I found that really fun.  I initially thought i was the only one reading into Cassandra's tone when saying she never thought of Eve a a mother.  I blame years of Xena fandom but apparently am not alone.  Hope somebody is writing fan fic somewhere. 

I think having them split up too much is a mistake.  It would be hard to write engaging stories since this kind of show like Leverage needs the interactions to really sell the plot.  I am however hopeful since they immediately decided to go with Cassandra to Peru.  Favorite throwaway line-Ex-Eliot to Thief guy regarding him note being a REAL Librarian "That was a PITY notebook"  or whatever their magic books are called.

Bold mine:  It did seem like Love Interest (Mabel?) did die for nothing, except so her and Stone could share some faux-memory dialogue.   And I so totally missed any entendre (? What word am I looking for?)  until I read it here (and explained in another thread). 

I liked these last 2 eps more - they seemed to be more balanced.

I'd be worried about the three Librarians-in-training / Librarianettes going off without a Guardian.

I thought the kid who plays Ezekial did a good job in the fight scene where Baird took over his body.

ETA:  Oh, that was MDKNIGHT who spelled things out for me in the Cassandra thread about her statement.  Thanks!

Edited by DeLurker

Mabel maybe died for nothing.  They needed to shut down the device because if the power got out of control, it would level not just the town but a large surrounding area and thousands of people would die.  Would the power have gone out of control?  We don't know.  Mabel didn't know.  She died making sure they didn't find out the hard way.

• Love 1

In what mythology would a "loom of fate" be sitting unattended?

Ever since that last round of contract negotiations, the Norns get one 15 minute break per millenia. That's why DuLaque chose to strike when he did. :-)

Mabel maybe died for nothing.  They needed to shut down the device because if the power got out of control, it would level not just the town but a large surrounding area and thousands of people would die.  Would the power have gone out of control?  We don't know.  Mabel didn't know.  She died making sure they didn't find out the hard way.

Yes, I was glad they didn't settle it; it makes sense that they would never know for sure.

And Mabel had tragic outcome written all over her (developing sexual tension with a Librarian is a bad idea). I thought that the town would be restored, she, as grounding wire, would be restored to her real age, Lost Horizon style and go out that way. I'm glad they didn't do that.

• Love 3

And Mabel had tragic outcome written all over her (developing sexual tension with a Librarian is a bad idea).

But she didn't even get to sleep with Jack Bauer, er, I mean Jake Stone, before dying. I hope that doesn't become a running event - I'd hate to have to keep yelling at the screen, "don't sleep/kiss/make eyes at Jake!"

The Loom was in some trans-dimensional space that needed immense power and a rube goldberg like contraption to open it up. So, still kind of hard to get at.

Famous last words. Just wait until the season 2 finale, "And the Loom of Fate Redux," the season 3 finale, "And, Yet Again With the Loom of Fate," followed by the season 4 finale, "And, for Christ's Sake, Would Someone Please Assign a Guard to the Loom of Fate."

• Love 3