Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: And The City Of Light / S01.E10: And The Loom Of Fate

Famous last words. Just wait until the season 2 finale, "And the Loom of Fate Redux," the season 3 finale, "And, Yet Again With the Loom of Fate," followed by the season 4 finale, "And, for Christ's Sake, Would Someone Please Assign a Guard to the Loom of Fate."

Wouldn't you think the norns would see it coming?

• Love 2

These last two episodes were pretty great! City of Lights was decent, though it was painfully obvious Mabel was going to die, which was too bad. But, conversely, I did enjoy that not every story keeps a happy ending-- though there was hope that things could be put to right in the future. I really enjoyed the finale, though! I liked how the cases they solved throughout the season were essential in bringing back the library and foiling DuLac's plan. And good call on Jenkins as Galahad-- I remember someone calling it correctly! I'm definitely intrigued by the potential for having the three "next generation" Librarians going off on their own adventures while Flynn and Eve are the main focus. I think it could work, depending on how they do it. Though I would definitely miss Jake. I think the finale leaves a lot of potential for the next season; they can tweak the format a bit if they want.

My favorite part was the actual, unexpurgated use of the phrase, "no shit". Finally TV!

I loved that-- when Eve said it, all I could think was "finally! Someone telling it like it is!" About damn time!

My husband and I really enjoyed this show so I'm hoping it comes back.

I finally had a chance to watch the final episode last night and loved it!  I was entertained and amused.  I really like Flynn and Eve together.  It is kind of hard to imagine that Flynn and Tom Mason are played by the same person, the characters are so different (I never watched ER).  And I've always liked her, ever since that witch show she was on.

To me, one of the best things about this show is the light-heartedness.  It's fun to watch where shows like Sleepy Hollow or Salem are just sooo dark and almost a chore for me to watch.

I've just marathon-watched the show, and was surprisingly impressed. It felt like low-rent Warehouse 13 at first, and I don't think it ever reached the same level of pathos, but as a goofy entertainment program, I thought it worked.

I figured Mabel was going to die, simply because Cassandra was getting so jealous about it. The show's been setting Cassandra and Jacob up to date in the future, so any potential one-episode love interest for either is bound to get killed.

The alt-universe actually worked well on this show, I think not only because it wasn't a rip-off of It's A Wonderful Life/A Christmas Carol, but because we were presented with the hypothetical in the first episode: these are the only potential librarians who are still alive. Flipping through the alternate realities allowed them to highlight each potential's strength and weaknesses, and showed that the only way to succeed was in bringing them all together at the start. The over-the-top clichés of each reality were really fun as well, and they did them in the right order, starting with Jacob's most believable scenario, all the way to my favorite, the Cassandra-as-head witch in charge world. Nothing says fantasy like long robes and dragons!

Famous last words. Just wait until the season 2 finale, "And the Loom of Fate Redux," the season 3 finale, "And, Yet Again With the Loom of Fate," followed by the season 4 finale, "And, for Christ's Sake, Would Someone Please Assign a Guard to the Loom of Fate."

Your typical Supervillain never attempts the same thing twice. No matter how close they came to success or how little Our Heroes™ do to prevent another try.

Notable exceptions: Sauron (Always with the One Ring! -- dude, find another angle). And Emperor "Death Stars are the key to victory!" Palpatine.

• Love 6

From what I understand, they now have access to the library only due to the door transporting them, but once they use the door to go anywhere else, wouldn't that disrupt the connection and they need to go through that long convoluted hook-up to open up the library again?

From what I understand, they now have access to the library only due to the door transporting them, but once they use the door to go anywhere else, wouldn't that disrupt the connection and they need to go through that long convoluted hook-up to open up the library again?

Flynn mentioned that the Library is now anchored to the annex so they should be able to easily go between the two.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2015 at 9:34 PM, hjmugillecuty said:

I watched City of Light twice but kept missing how they got trapped. And in addition to rebuilding the capacitor, did they need to repair the gas lamps? And make sure nothing happened to them in the next 100 years, since Mabel's not there to protect and ground?

I was a bit confused as well, though I only watched it once.  I found that with a few episodes this season.  The explanations are convoluted and often don't make much sense.  

On 1/18/2015 at 10:09 PM, myril said:

Not knowing where else to put this, but a tiny remark: I think merging the episode topics just because they aired on one day back-to-back is not so clever when the episodes stand pretty much on each their own. It made maybe sense for the first two, but I would prefer to discuss the final on its own and not mix it with City of Lights.

Marathoning this show on DVD, the merged episodes topics are frustrating.  I wanted to read/write my thoughts after the first episode, but had to wait until I watched the final episode and now all the comments are mixed together.

I liked seeing more of Stone.  I figured Mabel wouldn't survive though, since it was unlikely she would be in more than one episode.

The budget for costumes/effects on this show seems very low.  The attacking mummies looked like people dressed in cheap Halloween costumes.

The season finale was very fun.  I love alternate timelines, and it was amusing to see the three training Librarians in their timelines.  I like how they used a lot of the objects they gained throughout the season, and they referred to so many of this season's episodes (though I had forgotten what happened in some of them).  

Overall, I liked this season and the main protagonists, though the writing and production values are decidedly average.  They removed Season 1 from my streaming service but the next few seasons are on there, so I plan to watch more.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Camera One said:

I was a bit confused as well, though I only watched it once.  I found that with a few episodes this season.  The explanations are convoluted and often don't make much sense.  

Marathoning this show on DVD, the merged episodes topics are frustrating.  I wanted to read/write my thoughts after the first episode, but had to wait until I watched the final episode and now all the comments are mixed together.

I liked seeing more of Stone.  I figured Mabel wouldn't survive though, since it was unlikely she would be in more than one episode.

The budget for costumes/effects on this show seems very low.  The attacking mummies looked like people dressed in cheap Halloween costumes.

The season finale was very fun.  I love alternate timelines, and it was amusing to see the three training Librarians in their timelines.  I like how they used a lot of the objects they gained throughout the season, and they referred to so many of this season's episodes (though I had forgotten what happened in some of them).  

Overall, I liked this season and the main protagonists, though the writing and production values are decidedly average.  They removed Season 1 from my streaming service but the next few seasons are on there, so I plan to watch more.

I liked that too. That most of the objects they gained were used in the season final and to bring the Library back. It was really cool to think the Library sent them on all those cases for that. I liked seeing the different timelines and how each librarian would be like if they were the Librarian. Also each one's reaction to seeing Baird especially Stone's with a big kiss. Jenkins showing up to help Baird and Flynn and duel his father. I love that Jenkins is Galahad.  A lot of the City of Light doesn't make sense but I still like it. From Jenkins remarks to them losing a Guardian and insisting there's no aliens, Ezekiel being upset at people being possessed, I liked Mabel and Stone, and Cassandra realizing they were wrong. At the end with Baird pointing out that sometimes you just lose and Jenkins giving her the appointment book. Stone deciding to go visit Paris.  

• Love 2