Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

The entire state of MT has one area code (406).  So the other day I was talking to the postmaster complaining that again the carrier tossed my package in the ditch at the top of the road...he asked for my phone # and I gave him the 7 digit # and he asked (406)?? Duh.... I guess I shouldn't expect that much of his delivery people...

I grew up in a little MT town, we not only had the 406 area code, but the same first three numbers. So you only had to give four digits when asked for your phone number. I think if you know anyone who grew up in that town (or a town like it), you could probably guess any 4 digit password they have, even if they haven't lived there for years!

Pet peeve for the night: Critters coming to my yard to die. I swear there's some kind of enchantment on my yard that compels bunnies, squirrels, and birds to come here to die. Once a dead squirrel was frozen to my driveway and I swear it's arm was outstretched like "Must... get... to ... backyard...." Tonight I had to do two burials. For cryin out loud! I live by lakes and parks! There are better places to die!

• Love 2

Well as of 9PM 7/3 here in MT the fools are shooting off their fireworks. I just pray no one near me will do so as I have a yard full of tall grass and I don't want a fire or to scare the kittens...I really dislike this time of year!!

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Pet peeve for the night: Critters coming to my yard to die. I swear there's some kind of enchantment on my yard that compels bunnies, squirrels, and birds to come here to die. Once a dead squirrel was frozen to my driveway and I swear it's arm was outstretched like "Must... get... to ... backyard...." Tonight I had to do two burials. For cryin out loud! I live by lakes and parks! There are better places to die!

I'm sorry! I always dealt with more critters when I lived near lakes. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

People move all the time and keep their original phone number.

That's a fairly recent thing, it wasn't like that until cell phones had been around for a few years at least. When people only had land lines, if you moved, your number changed.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, GaT said:

That's a fairly recent thing, it wasn't like that until cell phones had been around for a few years at least. When people only had land lines, if you moved, your number changed.

Actually if you moved within the same town and you were the sole person on the phone bill they would usually let you keep the same number.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:11 PM, PRgal said:

Are there any regions which still have seven digit dialling?

Vermont.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I really dislike the word "wholesome". Did it get a second life in recent years, or was it always in use and I just never came across it?

ETA:  I mean, used unironically.

I like it. I think of "wholesome" as like a Pixar movie. 

I also think of very wholesome people as being down to earth. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I really dislike & no longer look forward to the 4th of July. I wonder if there are any states that don't allow people to set off firecrackers in their neighborhoods. 

Illegal here. That doesn't stop the morons from setting them off anyway. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I heard on the news that there was a fireworks shortage.

The assault on my neighborhood right now would be direct evidence to the contrary.

Upon finding a cloth bag with an assload of cash - 

• Me:  Ooh, I think I'll build a new home and give 1/2 an assload to charity
  • Neighbors:  FIREWORKS!!
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Illegal here. That doesn't stop the morons from setting them off anyway. 

I'm sitting here with an absolute bombardment going on.  I've posted a couple of things to the local Next Door site and I'm told to move to the country and various other nasty and insulting things.  It's not enough to disturb me and my pets, these people wish me harm.  They are defending their FREEDOM, don't you know.

If you want to get away from fireworks, I can 100% assure you that moving to "the country" isn't the route to take. My tiny town (in Illinois, where everything bigger than a sparkler is illegal) is booming right now. Last night, too. 

I actually like fireworks, even though I don't have any urge to set them off myself. I just wish everybody would be safe, and quit an hour after dark. 

• Love 7

Tonight there are just as many fireworks going off as usual, but I hardly heard any last night, which is not at all typical, especially with the holiday falling on a weekend.  Maybe that's the shortage at work.

I enjoy watching fireworks -- for about 15 minutes.  I don't understand this hours on end stuff.

• Love 9

I just checked and it's officially July 5th.  Yet moronic neighbors are still letting off fireworks.  Seems their tiny penises are still not providing enough envy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Most of the morons in my locale stopped with their illegal fireworks before midnight last night -- at least the ones I could hear with my house all closed up.  (Last night would have been a great night to leave the windows open, but for the noise.)  And since they all started with their fireworks before lunchtime yesterday, that gave them a good 12 hours to terrify their dogs and cats.  My town had their professional show on Saturday night.  It's been a long weekend.

I am beginning to hate the 4th of July because of this.  Like I said before, the professional shows don't bother me in the slightest, but the random loud whistles and booms bother me more and more each year.

• Love 11

Today is July 5th. The neighbors (not too close) are celebrating with fireworks at 7:45 am. I’m sure all the sleeping and hungover ones are really appreciative of their early wake up call. 

• Love 3

Here's a pet peeve: Inappropriate greetings to the bereaved.

The other day, a colleague came into work  barely a week after having had a very close relative die- and one of our coworkers greeted this colleague with 'You doing alright?'

I know our coworker meant no harm but HOW can someone who lost a close relative such a short time before possibly be 'doing alright'?

No, I didn't say anything because I didn't want to cause any upsets (and we all had work tasks to do) but I thought that was a bit thoughtless (even if unintenionally). 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Daytime fireworks? What's the point? Lol

@Blergh - I'm curious. What do you think would be appropriate in that situation? I tend toward "just don't mention it", but then I feel heartless.

I just said to the coworker (who'd lost their loved one) that I was  sorry to hear what had happened- and then told the co-worker to take care when I finished my shift!  

• Love 3

I had all the windows open last night until the booms began. Girl Cat is pretty blase about it but I closed everything and turned on the ac for my own sake--the noise was closer and louder than in previous years when I'd hear pro fireworks from 3 parks in the distance and  fire crackers and amateur fireworks by local jackasses on the street behind me and 2 doors down. Last night it was on every side and seemed much closer.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, ABay said:

Girl Cat is pretty blase about it

I was pretty pleasantly surprised about that.  someone very near me was setting off fireworks.  The cat and I were in bed but neither of us was sleeping yet.  I'm being kept awake, but I looked over a few minutes late and she's sound asleep.  Couldn't care less.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Most of the morons in my locale stopped with their illegal fireworks before midnight last night -- at least the ones I could hear with my house all closed up.  (Last night would have been a great night to leave the windows open, but for the noise.)  And since they all started with their fireworks before lunchtime yesterday, that gave them a good 12 hours to terrify their dogs and cats.  My town had their professional show on Saturday night.  It's been a long weekend.

I am beginning to hate the 4th of July because of this.  Like I said before, the professional shows don't bother me in the slightest, but the random loud whistles and booms bother me more and more each year.

Same here.  I'm really becoming grumpy about it, and I truly don't want to be.  It just really sort of angers me that so many think it's okay to disturb so many people, in order to be self-indulgent about their own 'celebration'.  

C'mon cancel culture - can't you do something about this?  lol

• Love 9

I hate that the random people setting off fireworks has affected my inteest in the professional ones. I like those, but after spending a month of listening to idiots lighting off fireworks every few nights leading up to the Fourth, it kinda takes all the fun out of the holiday 'cause I've already spent a month listening to stuff blowing up and I'm about tired of it by that point. 

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Same here.  I'm really becoming grumpy about it, and I truly don't want to be.  It just really sort of angers me that so many think it's okay to disturb so many people, in order to be self-indulgent about their own 'celebration'. 

We called the cops on our neighbor, so I guess now we have an enemy across the street. I live in California in a cul de sac & every year these assholes set off fireworks & stuff in the middle of the circle & it lasts for 2 hours. We have never said anything, but we hate it. It's right outside our windows & it's extremely annoying & it scares the hell out of our cats. This year we saw that they were setting up to do it again, even though we are in the worst drought in years, our houses are right next to a field that is covered in dead, dry vegetation, & oh yeah, it's ILLEGAL. So we called, & the cops came. Then the guy started banging on our door, so we had to call the cops again. So much fun because some asshole thinks he can do what he wants & everyone else can just deal with it.

Me too-I hardly got any sleep last night. The local laws say you can shoot them off until 11:45pm but my idiot neighbors kept it up until about 1am. It would quiet down a bit, I would start to drift off, the it would start all over again. Here they are celebrating the holiday today (since it was on a Sunday I guess) but some of us have to work in the morning and the bangs and booms have been going on since Friday. Yep, I'm old. But I need my sleep. And I know they'll be back at it again tonight since it seems nobody has a job to go to, but they have money to spend on noisemakers.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

We called the cops on our neighbor, so I guess now we have an enemy across the street. I live in California in a cul de sac & every year these assholes set off fireworks & stuff in the middle of the circle & it lasts for 2 hours. We have never said anything, but we hate it. It's right outside our windows & it's extremely annoying & it scares the hell out of our cats. This year we saw that they were setting up to do it again, even though we are in the worst drought in years, our houses are right next to a field that is covered in dead, dry vegetation, & oh yeah, it's ILLEGAL. So we called, & the cops came. Then the guy started banging on our door, so we had to call the cops again. So much fun because some asshole thinks he can do what he wants & everyone else can just deal with it.

At least your neighbor should be on the cops' radar now.  So, good for you for reporting him for his annoying (loud fireworks), threatening (pounding on your door following your calling the police), and dangerous (setting off fireworks in an extremely dry area) behavior.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

At least your neighbor should be on the cops' radar now

The cops are pretty much useless. Later, there were a couple of kids setting off fireworks in the damn field so we called about them, but no one ever came. It's really frustrating.

I was truly stunned at the continuous, non-stop assault by us.  The barrage was solid, with no breaks, for 2.5 hours+.  There wasn't any reason to call the police as this was a legal activity.  Our regulation allows it to continue up until 2 hours past sunset.  They went over by about 1/2 hour, so...

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

C'mon cancel culture - can't you do something about this?  lol

I know you're just talking about the excessive fireworks, but no way!*  :D

I refuse to let anybody steal my 4th of July joy.  Between some folks saying we shouldn't celebrate the 4th for reasons, and other folks trying to co-opt the day and act like they own the right to be patriotic, I've just about had it.  I decided to celebrate regardless of whether other people think it should be celebrated, or whether other people think I don't have the right to celebrate it.

And now I'm shutting up before I get myself in trouble.  LOL

@GaT, that sounds awful.  I would have freaked out when they started pounding on the door.  Yikes!

*edited to add, I'm fine shutting down excessive home fireworks displays, I just don't want the whole day cancelled.  I don't think I expressed myself well.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I'm fine shutting down excessive home fireworks displays, I just don't want the whole day cancelled.  I don't think I expressed myself well.

Never meant to cancel the holiday, that is absurd.  The 'cancel' comment was largely tongue-in-cheek, but I do sort of wish that those who feel the need to rival the display in D.C., for hours on end, would be curtailed from doing so.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Never meant to cancel the holiday, that is absurd.  The 'cancel' comment was largely tongue-in-cheek, but I do sort of wish that those who feel the need to rival the display in D.C., for hours on end, would be curtailed from doing so.

We're totally in the same page. I was trying to express myself without verging into forbidden areas, and got my virtual tongue tied. 😉

Big pet peeve of mine; social media posts with a picture of a kid/animal with a disability or deformity saying something to the effect of, “I’m ugly so I won’t get any likes.” I refuse to like those posts on principle and just scroll pass thinking “Yep. Not getting one from me.”

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Big pet peeve of mine; social media posts with a picture of a kid/animal with a disability or deformity saying something to the effect of, “I’m ugly so I won’t get any likes.” I refuse to like those posts on principle and just scroll pass thinking “Yep. Not getting one from me.”

I'm dumbfounded by this.  We have a lot of cruel excuses for humans (these jerks posting this crap on social media) on this planet.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

The "right" to celebrate ends when it puts others lives and property at risk. 

I don't know if you're replying to me, but of course i agree with you. When I mentioned having the right to celebrate, I was referring to the whole thing - BBQ, parades, hanging a flag on the porch, going to a fireworks show. I have seen comments in some quarters basically saying "unless you believe the same as me, you don't love 'Murica" and shouldn't get to do those things.

If you haven't seen those comments, count yourself lucky you don't have my uncle as a FB friend.

Related peeve:  cutesy spellings, e.g. 'Murica.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I don't know if you're replying to me, but of course i agree with you. When I mentioned having the right to celebrate, I was referring to the whole thing - BBQ, parades, hanging a flag on the porch, going to a fireworks show. I have seen comments in some quarters basically saying "unless you believe the same as me, you don't love 'Murica" and shouldn't get to do those things.

If you haven't seen those comments, count yourself lucky you don't have my uncle as a FB friend.

Related peeve:  cutesy spellings, e.g. 'Murica.

It was a general response. A few pages back I posted a peeve about selfish people, and people who think their "right" to celebrate, disturb the general peace until all hours of the night and put others at risk are, in my mind, the epitome of selfish. I keep putting right in quotations because celebrating is not a right, it's a privilege that should come with responsibility.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

It was a general response. A few pages back I posted a peeve about selfish people, and people who think their "right" to celebrate, disturb the general peace until all hours of the night and put others at risk are, in my mind, the epitome of selfish. I keep putting right in quotations because celebrating is not a right, it's a privilege that should come with responsibility.

I've been dealing with the same thing with people who think their rights are being infringed on if they are asked to obey the law (which is not enforced here).  Fireworks are supposed to be limited to July 2 - 4,  the large explosives are not allowed and I think there are limits on hours.

I posted on the local Next Door site that it was a problem for people with noise sensitivity and for domestic and wild animals.  And I had the nerve to question what the pleasure is in loud explosions.  I got some personal nasty responses and people went on at length about not denying children the "joy" of it.

I don't understand how so many people only care about what they want and I also don't understand the connection between patriotism and blowing shit up.

• Love 7
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I got some personal nasty responses and people went on at length about not denying children the "joy" of it.

Strange....when I was a kid, the most I ever played with on the Fourth was sparklers. And yet, somehow, I managed to have plenty of fun with those. I didn't feel I missed out on the "joy" of anything because my family wasn't out there blowing stuff up.  So that's a really dumb argument from those people. If that's the only way they can think of to let their kids have fun around fireworks, they need to broaden their imaginations. 

Also, what happens if one of those fireworks starts a fire? Or a kid gets hurt? That's gonna kill the "joy" of them pretty quickly. To say nothing of the fact that there are some children who are terrified by loud noises-I was when I was little. I hated the sound of fireworks back then. 

But like you said, some people just care about what they want, and to hell with everyone else and their concerns. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

We need a national "bitch and moan" day so that everyone can get it out of their system.  That way, the other 364 days and change can be peaceful.  If only it would work.

Yeah, I would need a week minimum 😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Yeah, I would need a week minimum 😉

One day a month maybe?  It would be hard for me to remember my peeves for a whole year but a months I can manage.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

As I have said in the past, I believe anti-bullying campaigns have created this mess, which also in many cases causes those who have been bullied to be unable to get past their victimhood, which does victims no favors, and keeps them imprisoned in their own misery. 

My biggest pet peeve in this regard is the casual way the term bullying is thrown around now.  One single incident of someone being nasty to you is not bullying.  At least not bullying in the sense that most of us think of bullying anyway,  It completely minimizes what true bullying actual is IMO and does the victims of bullying no favours.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My biggest pet peeve in this regard is the casual way the term bullying is thrown around now.  One single incident of someone being nasty to you is not bullying.  At least not bullying in the sense that most of us think of bullying anyway,  It completely minimizes what true bullying actual is IMO and does the victims of bullying no favours.

I agree completely. There is bullying out there, but not everything being called bullying is bullying.  There is racism out there, but not everything being called racist is racist.  Same with some other stuff. And when you call everything bullying and racism, all you are doing is watering down the words and hurting the people that are actually being hurt by these things.

• Love 6

I posted on the local Next Door site that it was a problem for people with noise sensitivity and for domestic and wild animals.  And I had the nerve to question what the pleasure is in loud explosions.  I got some personal nasty responses and people went on at length about not denying children the "joy" of it.

Next Door is a poisonous pit. Oh, it's great if you have a missing pet or are looking for someone to paint your house but otherwise I avoid it. And as far as denying children joy, around here they are setting this shit off at midnight, one and two am. If they're letting their kids stay up that late, hanging around with a bunch of drunken morons, then those kids are being denied something alright.

• Love 14