Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, roseha said:

I do have one of those ugly "portable" air conditioners with the big hose because of our casement windows, but it does work.

3 hours ago, GussieK said:

Wow, does it really work?  I was thinking of getting one of those.  I have to replace an aging window unit.

We have one of those as well, and I think you really hurt its feelings calling it ugly.

My husband has an iffy back, and we started feeling we were taking a chance every time we installed and uninstalled the window unit. So we bought one of those beautiful portable units. As long as you do the calculations to figure the right BTU size for your room and read the reviews for the units you're considering, you should be good. Ours works great, and no heavy lifting, by us or anyone else. Not needed often here in the North, but when you need it, you're grateful. And it doesn't block off half the light from the window it's in.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Because they have it set that from May 15-October 15 (yeah, AC should still be running) is AC, and October 16-May 14 Heat. There have been exceptions when unseasonably hot weather had them turning on the AC in April.

You should've seen the horror on my face when I read this. We need air conditioning in March here in NC. We basically have maybe six weeks of "winter", which is maybe the end of December through the middle of February. There's one ice storm somewhere in there, and we're done.

• Love 4

Well guys, I wish I could feel your pain... it was 19°F here in MT when I got up today and got to a whopping 49°F for a high. Fresh snow on the mountains all around me. It is too early for these temps here and my natural gas bill is going to go through the roof if this keeps up!

My peeve is that the gas company raises the rates starting 9/1 just to stick it to us a little more...

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

We have one of those as well, and I think you really hurt its feelings calling it ugly.

My husband has an iffy back, and we started feeling we were taking a chance every time we installed and uninstalled the window unit. So we bought one of those beautiful portable units. As long as you do the calculations to figure the right BTU size for your room and read the reviews for the units you're considering, you should be good. Ours works great, and no heavy lifting, by us or anyone else. Not needed often here in the North, but when you need it, you're grateful. And it doesn't block off half the light from the window it's in.

You're right @Mondrianyone!  I apologize to my beautiful portable AC.  I would have suffered immeasurably without it the last 4 years, and frankly I don't really mind the appearance personally.  @GussieK, to answer your question, mine works very well.  I have a 1 Bedroom apartment and it covers the main living room area and thereabouts very well.   I don't bother with the bedroom because I can pretty much always sleep at night.

It's a 12000 BTU model from SPT or Sunpentown.  They also stock replacement parts which is useful to have.  I did recently have to tape up the hose even though I barely move the thing, but I have a replacement at the ready which I had bought from them.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, GussieK said:

Wow, does it really work?  I was thinking of getting one of those.  I have to replace an aging window unit.  Also in NYC.  We have to have specially licensed contractors install our window units each year if we remove them for winter so we don't incur liability for ACs falling on people. 

I believe tomorrow (Oct. 15) starts the season for automatic heat.  It's 79 degrees outside now. 

I have a portable air conditioner that I bought for my home office since I’ve been WFH during the pandemic. It works great and is easy to install. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/11/2021 at 7:58 AM, BexKeps said:

My husband owns a  company that specializes in one particular thing. Since COVID started he has been very busy which he thinks is because people are home more so they are using the appliance that he works on more. That and they don't have to take time off for him to come. He returns every phone call and email he gets requesting service and people are so grateful just to hear back from him, even if he can't get to them for 6 weeks. Like he tells me, it takes him about 30-40 minutes every evening to return phone calls, as a self-employed contractor, that's your job. 

Please thank your husband for returning the phone calls.  I used to work in publishing and one of my jobs was posting job openings.  Despite terrible pay, the amount of responses was amazing, but I always took the time to respond to anyone who had done more than just put a generic resume in an envelope with no (customized) cover letter.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:23 AM, theredhead77 said:

Click-bait news. Last night the local CBS affiliate went into commercial with a vague warning about a rice cereal recall. Um, that shit is important. What if someone was about to feed their kid rice cereal and now they have to wait for the commercial break and two more, completely unimportant stories, including a story about a handful of high schools students being locked out of their high school, because the school is now requiring students to use their ID to access building, and these students needed a new ID. WHY IS THAT NEWS? And, why is that news ahead of a food recall? /screams

When I first moved to the States I was appalled by the "news" programmes.  I stopped watching after a couple of days.  It's not news, it's human interest stories that maybe 100 people care about.  Maybe a couple of 30 second segments about major national stories.  International news?  What's that?

On 10/14/2021 at 1:01 PM, roseha said:

I'm in NYC and have a similar issue @GHScorpiosRule - any time now my building will start the "mandatory" winter heat if the temperature outside drops below I think 55 F.  Which means that in a prewar building with unregulated heat, it will feel like the 80s in the dead of January.  Right now I'm a little relieved not to be in one of the 10 months of heat (natural in the summer, enforced in the winter) but it does get cold at night.  You can't win sometimes.   I do have one of those ugly "portable" air conditioners with the big hose because of our casement windows, but it does work.

I don't know if you can do this, but I over-ride my heat at the fuse box.  I'm quite happy to put on extra clothes and work/watch TV with a blanket on my lap.  (According to my lease, I'm not allowed to do this, but my first winter my heating bill was appalling because of its turning on automatically.)

Global warming has meant that an apartment that never needed a/c is now uncomfortable for a couple of months in the summer but I just keep a lot of cold packs in the freezer and put one in front of a fan and put a couple of the "soft" ones on my chubby thighs.

• Love 2

I live in a townhouse community with an HOA. The HOA is super chill, our dues are fair, the community manager is responsive, etc... 

But we have a fire sprinkler inspection every year (not my peeve) and this year they sent out the notice that it is scheduled for 10.16 and there would be no make up days. We were expected to be home between 8-5pm for this, with no time windows for each building. That sucks but it's probably the vendor, not the HOA. So today, they sent the reminder and they were starting at 8am with my building and was going to be a make-up day next Friday.

I asked if they would reschedule me for next Friday since I WFH and I really don't want to to get up before 8am, I need my sleep due to my RA (I don't even get up for 8am during the week). Nope, they said I needed to have it done tomorrow. I replied back I could just lie and tell you I won't be home and it's pretty crummy to say no make-up days then give those who won't be around for tomorrow's screening a much better day.

I left a note on my door to come back between 930-10 and I turned off my doorbell. I feel bad for the vendors but I am not going to get up to let someone in my house for 2 minutes at 8am on a Saturday when it impacts my health.

I'm not worries about COVID, they were masked last year, I expect they will be masked tomorrow. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

Please thank your husband for returning the phone calls.  I used to work in publishing and one of my jobs was posting job openings.  Despite terrible pay, the amount of responses was amazing, but I always took the time to respond to anyone who had done more than just put a generic resume in an envelope with no (customized) cover letter.

When I first moved to the States I was appalled by the "news" programmes.  I stopped watching after a couple of days.  It's not news, it's human interest stories that maybe 100 people care about.  Maybe a couple of 30 second segments about major national stories.  International news?  What's that?

I don't know if you can do this, but I over-ride my heat at the fuse box.  I'm quite happy to put on extra clothes and work/watch TV with a blanket on my lap.  (According to my lease, I'm not allowed to do this, but my first winter my heating bill was appalling because of its turning on automatically.)

Global warming has meant that an apartment that never needed a/c is now uncomfortable for a couple of months in the summer but I just keep a lot of cold packs in the freezer and put one in front of a fan and put a couple of the "soft" ones on my chubby thighs.

Isn't there some kind of law that the heat has to be turned on in late Sept/early Oct. if you live in an apartment???  I live in New England and there have been MANY cold days after summer and my landlord said they were turning on the heat at the beginning of OCT.  I have a space heater (but i haven't needed it.. I'm always hot) but my neighbors are cold (not this weekend)

Edited by Boston
  • Love 1

My own sensitivity. I don't know if it's because I have to work at being happy, but it can be hard for me to enjoy really beautiful ballads, love stories, and quality shows. It's why I watch a lot of reality TV and listen to a lot of pop music. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I live in a townhouse community with an HOA. The HOA is super chill, our dues are fair, the community manager is responsive, etc... 

But we have a fire sprinkler inspection every year (not my peeve) and this year they sent out the notice that it is scheduled for 10.16 and there would be no make up days. We were expected to be home between 8-5pm for this, with no time windows for each building. That sucks but it's probably the vendor, not the HOA. So today, they sent the reminder and they were starting at 8am with my building and was going to be a make-up day next Friday.

I asked if they would reschedule me for next Friday since I WFH and I really don't want to to get up before 8am, I need my sleep due to my RA (I don't even get up for 8am during the week). Nope, they said I needed to have it done tomorrow. I replied back I could just lie and tell you I won't be home and it's pretty crummy to say no make-up days then give those who won't be around for tomorrow's screening a much better day.

I left a note on my door to come back between 930-10 and I turned off my doorbell. I feel bad for the vendors but I am not going to get up to let someone in my house for 2 minutes at 8am on a Saturday when it impacts my health.

I'm not worries about COVID, they were masked last year, I expect they will be masked tomorrow. 

And an update - my house lions woke me up earlier than I would have liked, so I got up, dressed and took the sign off my door. The guy just left, they didn't even get started until 9. What a bunch of BS stress for no reason.

• Love 4

The Santa tree skirt kit continued to be a challenge right to the end when I broke the needle and threader trying to get the gold band through the eye. I also had to get extra skeins of red, blue, green, and brown in addition to scavenging my hoard for a few other colors. But, voila, 3rd and final Santa.

20211016_112108s.jpg

• Love 23
1 hour ago, ABay said:

The Santa tree skirt kit continued to be a challenge right to the end when I broke the needle and threader trying to get the gold band through the eye. I also had to get extra skeins of red, blue, green, and brown in addition to scavenging my hoard for a few other colors. But, voila, 3rd and final Santa.

20211016_112108s.jpg

That is gorgeous! 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Boston said:

Isn't there some kind of law that the heat has to be turned on in late Sept/early Oct. if you live in an apartment???  I live in New England and there have been MANY cold days after summer and my landlord said they were turning on the heat at the beginning of OCT.  I have a space heater (but i haven't needed it.. I'm always hot) but my neighbors are cold (not this weekend)

I live in the relatively temperate Pacific NW and I've never heard of any such law.  Even the thought of legislating something like the heat of your home astonishes me.  Especially in America, supposedly "land of the free" . . . .

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 2

I am very confused about individual apartments or apartment like living not having individual climate control. I could not imagine living somewhere that I could not turn on the central heat or A/C to control the climate in my own home.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I live in the relatively temperate Pacific NW and I've never heard of any such law.  Even the thought of legislating something like the heat of your home astonishes me.  Especially in America, supposedly "land of the free" . . . .

I don't know if it is a law.. but i know from living here all my life and living in apartments since I was in my 20s.. landlords are not required to turn on heat til October.  (not that we really need it til then.. like I said, it has been warm here (with a few cold days since Sept.) so we really don't need heat).  Maybe because the landlords control the heat.. Again, I don't know.. sorry for sounding like a know it all.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Boston said:

I don't know if it is a law.. but i know from living here all my life and living in apartments since I was in my 20s.. landlords are not required to turn on heat til October.  (not that we really need it til then.. like I said, it has been warm here (with a few cold days since Sept.) so we really don't need heat).  Maybe because the landlords control the heat.. Again, I don't know.. sorry for sounding like a know it all.

But why do they control the heat? Does that mean you can't adjust the temperature in your own home?

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

But why do they control the heat? Does that mean you can't adjust the temperature in your own home?

No.  The apartment I live in has heat-included.  It is a seasonal thing I think.  Heat goes off in late March - and comes on in October.  (it's a plus with heat included.. i only pay electric - no gas or heat).  I didn't mean to say we were dying or controlled.  It's just the way it is in apartments in NE.

4 minutes ago, Boston said:

No.  The apartment I live in has heat-included.  It is a seasonal thing I think.  Heat goes off in late March - and comes on in October.  (it's a plus with heat included.. i only pay electric - no gas or heat).  I didn't mean to say we were dying or controlled.  It's just the way it is in apartments in NE.

That's crazy that you're comfort is at the whim of the landlord or building owner.

I'm sure a lot of people think I keep my house way too warm. I keep the A/C at 76 in the summer and the heat at 72 in the winter. At night I'll drop the heat to 68 but that's almost too cold for me. 

Note to self: never move to the north east

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

That's crazy that you're comfort is at the whim of the landlord or building owner.

I'm sure a lot of people think I keep my house way too warm. I keep the A/C at 76 in the summer and the heat at 72 in the winter. At night I'll drop the heat to 68 but that's almost too cold for me. 

I keep my AC high in the summer if it's hot (yes it makes my electric bill go higher but I'm always hot and my bedroom is very hot).  We don't NEED heat in Sept. or Oct. usually.. so it is not a problem .  It is very nice in New England.. actually beautiful right now.. red trees, etc. and it is 75 degrees today.

Edited by Boston
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Or, if you do go to the northeast, stay with me. 🙃

• Love 1
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Pre-war apartments in New York City - like mine - have steam heating that is sent upstairs from a gas or an oil boiler in the basement when it's considered weather appropriate.  There's no realistic way of regulating it.  The most you can hope to do is to turn off the handle on the radiator if it's accessible and won't leak steam.  I do this in my bedroom but it doesn't eliminate the overly hot temperature.  The radiator in my living room is behind a grating so I don't know how to get at it.  But it doesn't regulate at all and it would still be hot.

The story is that older buildings were deliberately designed this way to force apartment dwellers to throw open their windows to lessen the chance of catching flu or cholera or diseases like that.  I don't know if that's true but that's what I've heard.  Anyway people often do exactly that in the winter or even run the AC for awhile.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
Just now, roseha said:

Pre-war apartments in New York City - like mine - have steam heating that is sent upstairs from a gas or an oil boiler in the basement when it's considered weather appropriate.

I learned that from Beaches:

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/13/2021 at 4:13 PM, Anela said:

I'm so sorry, and I totally agree. I'm dealing with this with one of my dogs - he is the sweetest, but I don't know his history (we adopted him December 2018). Ever since he's had trouble walking, this year, he snaps when we're trying to get him up, so I've had to be creative, like pulling up the quilts he sleeps on, when they're underneath him, helping him up that way (it pushes him into a standing position, if I stand behind it, and get my ankles underneath him). My dad got a muzzle for certain times, because he actually bit him last week. 

I know this is well after when you posted, Anela, but it sounds like your doggie has arthritis - please take him to the vet and get some doggie pain meds. I'm sure he is biting because he is hurting like mad....

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, ABay said:

20211016_112108s.jpg

Beautiful!

I’m in one of those NYC buildings too. Even when the radiators are off risers in the walls remain hot and exude enough heat to keep us warm. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, roseha said:

Pre-war apartments in New York City - like mine - have steam heating that is sent upstairs from a gas or an oil boiler in the basement when it's considered weather appropriate.  There's no realistic way of regulating it.  The most you can hope to do is to turn off the handle on the radiator if it's accessible and won't leak steam.  I do this in my bedroom but it doesn't eliminate the overly hot temperature.  The radiator in my living room is behind a grating so I don't know how to get at it.  But it doesn't regulate at all and it would still be hot.

The story is that older buildings were deliberately designed this way to force apartment dwellers to throw open their windows to lessen the chance of catching flu or cholera or diseases like that.  I don't know if that's true but that's what I've heard.  Anyway people often do exactly that in the winter or even run the AC for awhile.

Thank you for that explanation. That makes a lot more sense than what I was imagining. 

• Love 2

Many years ago, I dated a guy who lived in an old apartment building in Greensboro, NC, that had radiator heating. It was so hot even on the coldest winter nights that we had to open the windows. There's no need for that kind of heat in the Piedmont region (middle) of NC.

I've lived in one other place like that, a beautiful old 1920s condo building with hardwood floors, built-in shelving, funky kitchen tiling and a window over the sink! It still had the radiators, but they were long decommissioned and central air had been put in. I loved that apartment but the woman from whom I was renting decided to sell.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, ABay said:

20211016_112108s.jpg

So beautiful!  I admire your dedication.

• Love 10

Not that the frustrations of Santa Christmas tree skirts aren’t great to discuss. 
I myself have a Santa-related illustration project that is not going to happen for a cascading number of peeves.

But, this just arrived in my inbox from my single, middle daughter who has a college degree, is approaching “middle age,” and is looking for a better job and a better paying job. It’s a response to one of her job applications—

We are currently reviewing applications. Due to the volume of applications, we are only contacting shortlisted candidates.

She exasperatedly asks what does this☝️mean? To which I replied—

Primarily it means the person writing that email should not be.  
And because of that, it means either you’ll hear from them again or you won’t.  
So if you don’t hear from them again, at least you won’t have to decide if working for them is worse than your current situation.  
*sorry* 
❤️

Right?

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yep.  It looks like an automated reply to all applicants, and pretty much means, "If we don't call you, don't call us."

That was my take as well.  Badly worded though it was at least it was something.  So many times when I was job hunting I would have appreciated at least a form letter "thanks but no thanks" from the places I'd applied!  So discouraging to not even know for sure if they ever even received my application!

• Love 6
On 10/17/2021 at 3:28 AM, bilgistic said:

Many years ago, I dated a guy who lived in an old apartment building in Greensboro, NC, that had radiator heating. It was so hot even on the coldest winter nights that we had to open the windows. There's no need for that kind of heat in the Piedmont region (middle) of NC.

I've lived in one other place like that, a beautiful old 1920s condo building with hardwood floors, built-in shelving, funky kitchen tiling and a window over the sink! It still had the radiators, but they were long decommissioned and central air had been put in. I loved that apartment but the woman from whom I was renting decided to sell.

There are so many things that I wish could function like they do now but look like they did then (if that makes sense) — dishes and kitchen appliances, clothing, muscle cars, homes, me in some scenarios…

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

There are so many things that I wish could function like they do now but look like they did then (if that makes sense) — dishes and kitchen appliances, clothing, muscle cars, homes, me in some scenarios…

Heh, same here about me.

Interestingly enough, I was just thinking the exact opposite thing about the two refrigerators in my house. In the basement there is a beige, 25 year old refrigerator that still works perfectly. It's boring as hell; the shelves and door compartments are just flat nothings.  

In my kitchen is a 4 year old stainless steel beauty, with great compartments, drawers, and shelves that can be moved around to fit my needs. It makes ice and filtered water. It also is a piece of junk that doesn't do the one thing it's supposed to do very well.  When I bought it, the people in the appliance store actually said, "They really don't make these the way they used to." I thought they were just being colorful. 

Nope.

• Love 8

Ugh, yeah, that leads me to a peeve: our refrigerator. It's very basic, which sometimes is not a terrible quality for certain things to have. But when it's full, like the day after we get groceries, there's really no good way to keep it conveniently organized so that we don't have to move 65 things around to get something else. (It also doesn't help that my boyfriend is a "just shove everything in so that other things are all pushed to the very back" -- and a "I need 32 different types of juice, all in large plastic bottles" -- type.)

• Love 2

There are so many things that I wish could function like they do now but look like they did then (if that makes sense) — dishes and kitchen appliances, clothing, muscle cars, homes, me in some scenarios…

Wait...are you me? 

• LOL 6
38 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, yeah, that leads me to a peeve: our refrigerator. It's very basic, which sometimes is not a terrible quality for certain things to have. But when it's full, like the day after we get groceries, there's really no good way to keep it conveniently organized so that we don't have to move 65 things around to get something else. (It also doesn't help that my boyfriend is a "just shove everything in so that other things are all pushed to the very back" -- and a "I need 32 different types of juice, all in large plastic bottles" -- type.)

I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only one that fights this battle!! I'm so tired of having to go through his 25 bottles of hot sauce to get my yogurt....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

In the basement there is a beige, 25 year old refrigerator that still works perfectly. It's boring as hell; the shelves and door compartments are just flat nothings.  

In my kitchen is a 4 year old stainless steel beauty, with great compartments, drawers, and shelves that can be moved around to fit my needs. It makes ice and filtered water. It also is a piece of junk that doesn't do the one thing it's supposed to do very well.  When I bought it, the people in the appliance store actually said, "They really don't make these the way they used to." I thought they were just being colorful. 

Nope.

That's what the sales people at Best Buy told me when I was shopping for a refrigerator for my previous apartment.
IIRC (?) he said anything manufactured in the last 10 years wouldn't last more than 5 years.
Unfortunately, it was old and did not work. Stuff in the refrigerator section frequently froze, and stuff in the the freezer thawed. Maybe a new thermostat would have fixed it, but it had other issues too (a previous tenant had drilled a hold into the outer layer of the door.) So, since I was moving, and it was the middle of the winter during the pre-vaccine pandemic, I left it up to my landlady to deal with it even though she was willing to pay for a new one.

• Love 3

Ugh.

My oldest daughter just posted a picture of herself eating in very close quarters in a restaurant at a table with 20 unmasked people of likely unvaccinated status after having attended an indoor funeral with other people also likely unvaccinated (rural county by Mt. Shasta). 
This daughter was vaccinated in February because of her job, but has not had a booster. 
In less than 2 weeks she is supposed to arrive to attend her youngest sister’s baby shower—which was scheduled to coincide with the older sister’s availability. 
The youngest has always idolized the oldest. 
The middle sister got vaccinated for work but hates masks.  And hates babies and baby showers, so that’s at least not an issue.

I am so tempted to make some unkind remark about how millennials should get off of my lawn, but that doesn’t make sense, and isn’t relevant. Except that all 3 daughters are more or less millennials.

I’m fine with them all being atheists, but why do they all hate science?

*sigh*

I expect to be the only one at the baby shower in a mask. I might break out my K95 for the occasion.

If we lived in LA it could be outside. 
The windchill is in the 40s here. 
“California dreamin’…”

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

What is the vaccination status of your pregnant daughter?  I'm sure I don't need to tell you about some of the cases that have made the news with regard to pregnant women catching Covid.  I guess it's not your call to make regarding vaccinations or having big gatherings.  Which really sucks.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

What is the vaccination status of your pregnant daughter?  I'm sure I don't need to tell you about some of the cases that have made the news with regard to pregnant women catching Covid.  I guess it's not your call to make regarding vaccinations or having big gatherings.  Which really sucks.

The pregnant daughter is fully vaccinated and I think even got a booster because of being pregnant. 

So I guess I shouldn't have texted the older daughter after seeing the picture and reading all the posts from every likely unvaccinated childhood friend who hugged her. She started talking about canceling, which I explained would make the youngest one hate me, so now she says she's staying in a hotel. But I just want her to get tested before she gets on the frickin' plane. Is that too much to ask?

I guess maybe it's not a millennial thing. It's me. A Boomer thing. 
I am a Boomer with Boomer things.
*sigh*

Thanks all y'all.

But I think it's going to be a long winter.
A Winter Of Our Discontent (not that I can even remember the plot or author of the book)

Edited by shapeshifter
because I'm a Boomer who can't type without typos
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

It's not too much to ask, but I'm not sure it's your place to ask it. In regards to your own health, sure. If you don't want her to stay with you, or you want her to keep her distance from you, that's your call. But unless you're hosting the party, you don't control the guest list. Tell the younger daughter what you know, and let her make her own decision. It sucks, and I fully sympathize with you, but they're both adults.

The sad reality is that there will likely be many at the party who are unvaccinated, or un-boostered, or don't regularly mask, etc. You have to decide how much risk you're comfortable with, and what you can do to mitigate that risk. Hugs, mom! I know you just want your daughters to be safe. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ugh.

My oldest daughter just posted a picture of herself eating in very close quarters in a restaurant at a table with 20 unmasked people of likely unvaccinated status after having attended an indoor funeral with other people also likely unvaccinated (rural county by Mt. Shasta). 
This daughter was vaccinated in February because of her job, but has not had a booster. 
In less than 2 weeks she is supposed to arrive to attend her youngest sister’s baby shower—which was scheduled to coincide with the older sister’s availability. 
The youngest has always idolized the oldest. 
The middle sister got vaccinated for work but hates masks.  And hates babies and baby showers, so that’s at least not an issue.

I am so tempted to make some unkind remark about how millennials should get off of my lawn, but that doesn’t make sense, and isn’t relevant. Except that all 3 daughters are more or less millennials.

*sigh*

I expect to be the only one at the baby shower in a mask. I might break out my K95 for the occasion.

If we lived in LA it could be outside. 
The windchill is in the 40s here. 
“California dreamin’…”

I think you have a right to ask. Not order, since they're adults, but I understand, and I'm not a boomer. When we went to my aunt's funeral, I probably vented here, that my dad whipped off his mask, as soon as he saw that everyone else wasn't wearing one. Neither of us were vaccinated, at the time. He leaned in to one of my aunts, when he said something about the masks, and she said, "I think you know how we feel about these things." Yeah, he knows how I feel about them, too. I was the only one wearing a mask, and then when I pulled out my phone, to make sure the volume was turned down, and the ringer was off (since I'd been looking at it, in between doing things like hugging my uncle), the minister vaguely scolded me, saying to put phones away out of respect. The same minister who wasn't enforcing a mask rule, that was posted to their own front door, in the middle of a pandemic, at a f'king funeral. I thought about messaging them later on, once we were home, but it wasn't worth it. It was over with. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A Winter Of Our Discontent (not that I can even remember the plot or author of the book)

You're paraphrasing Shakespeare. Richard III.

I knew that English major would pay off one day. 😁

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

You're paraphrasing Shakespeare. Richard III.

I knew that English major would pay off one day. 😁

Actually, I only ever read the Steinbeck novel of that title that quotes Shakespeare. 
But I read it half a century ago, and remember none of it except the title, which is a testament to the power of Shakespeare’s prose to describe the human condition, which Steinbeck seems to be acknowledging in giving that title to his last novel, IMO.

Anyway. I guess at this point my peevishness has turned to a doom and gloom best described by Shakespeare and quoted by Steinbeck as what is seemingly sure to be a “Winter of our discontent.”

• Love 3