Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Leeds said:

Don't you have an ignore/block button?

I use this feature all the time but as fast I am blocking one number a new one with the exact same spiel pops up.  Not surveys in my case, usually how the police are waiting down the street to come and arrest me for tax evasion...as a good friend of mine says "I've got 3 kids PLEASE put me in jail I need the break".

• LOL 1
37 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

I use this feature all the time but as fast I am blocking one number a new one with the exact same spiel pops up.  Not surveys in my case, usually how the police are waiting down the street to come and arrest me for tax evasion...as a good friend of mine says "I've got 3 kids PLEASE put me in jail I need the break".

Do you give out your phone number and/or email address?

4 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Do you give out your phone number and/or email address?

Rarely.  I don't think I am being personally targeted.  This is random chance - sometimes I will get multiple calls a day for a week or two and then nothing for while.  Then it starts again.  Blocking the numbers does help, I think, but it never prevents it entirely.

• Love 2

Ooooh, I know I am sort of to blame* for this peeve, as I continue to use the service, but that fucking Stop & Shop grocery delivery can never get anything all the way right ever! I would fall on my head if they ever sent my order with 0 problems. Today’s was a smashed yogurt all over everything else in the bag (which are now paper, not plastic, so at least that’s cool), so “putting away stuff” became “washing stuff off.” Jerks!

*But am I? I pay for the service, even though my reason for using it is laziness and a hatred for grocery shopping, haha!

2E370505-7163-4EC7-81BF-736A1E2131AE.jpeg

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

When my router goes down for no apparent reason. It was down for 3 hours this afternoon, and I still don’t know why it went down or why it came back up. I just keep unplugging it, waiting 30 minutes, and plugging it back in. That always works, but I WFH and freak out when it goes down. Especially this weekend, when I have a bunch of work to do that is heavily dependent on having internet access (building out a SharePoint site). 

Are you sure it's your router and not your internet?

2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

The Do Not Call registry is not nearly as effective as everyone hoped it would be, but it does help

• Love 2

Maybe I'm imagining things, but I feel like the spammers get a renewed sense of purpose at the beginning of every month. I had SIX spam calls Thursday and three Friday. I've been on the DNC list* for years and keep renewing my "membership". My overall spam rate has gone down significantly since I changed carriers, but it's still out of control. The fact that no one does anything about it pisses me off (the FTC doesn't really do anything and I get that they "can't" trace spoofed numbers). I get there are bigger problems, but still.

*If your phone number is one of the more than 217 million numbers on the Do Not Call Registry, you’ve taken action to stop most unwanted sales calls. The law allows political calls, calls from charitable organizations, informational calls, calls about debts you owe, and phone surveys, as well as calls from companies you’ve done business with or gave permission to call.

If you get an unwanted sales call or a robocall—a recorded message that’s pitching a product or service— it’s probably a scam. The unscrupulous businesses behind these calls use autodialers to make thousands of calls a minute and don’t bother to check if the numbers are on the Do Not Call Registry.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Are you sure it's your router and not your internet?

Definitely the router, the all important WiFi light was not lit. 
It is my weekend of tech-related pet peeves. I bought the wrong kind of HDMI splitter to hook up my second monitor. I was really looking forward to having a second full size monitor today. Instead, it’s sitting on my desk, mocking my incompetence. 

• Love 1

Went out for last minute Thanksgiving groceries and while crossing the street, heard bits and pieces of a young woman’s phone call.  And it wasn’t just her.  She had her phone on speaker, no headphones!!  Whhhyyyyyy???!!!  

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Went out for last minute Thanksgiving groceries and while crossing the street, heard bits and pieces of a young woman’s phone call.  And it wasn’t just her.  She had her phone on speaker, no headphones!!  Whhhyyyyyy???!!!  

I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

That's a pet peeve of mine too. I've had coworkers who FaceTime on speaker during work, so obnoxious and distracting.

Another pet peeve of mine is people who say all kinds of raunchy things but clutch their pearls over cursing. How are you going to talk about your sex life and all sorts of stuff but a damn shocks you?

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Haha.  I got a call yesterday that if I didn’t pay my electric bill right away over the phone, they would shut off my electricity in 30 minutes.  Of course I paid by check last month.  These swindlers should be arrested for scaring people.  There must be a way to catch them.  Someone told me nobody calls for money.  If they are legitimate, they send you a letter.  Now, I just hang up.  I also get the “Grandma I’m in jail and need bail money”.

3 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

We can send people into space, but can’t stop robo calls?  There should be a law for this invasion of privacy.

I agree. It's outrageous that we have to be subjected to these annoying calls. We have caller ID so we never pick up (but some of these scam robocallers never give up & have been calling for several years). We've even signed up for nomocalls but that only stops some calls after the first ring.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I mostly just get the car warranty ones.

Same here. Plus, “are you thinking of selling your house?”  Unfortunately, blocking the numbers isn’t effective since they’re pretty much all faked, and I worry that someone with that real number might somehow want to reach me sometime. Long odds, I realize. 

I just take advantage of the iOS feature that lets you send calls to voicemail if they aren’t in my contacts. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Haha.  I got a call yesterday that if I didn’t pay my electric bill right away over the phone, they would shut off my electricity in 30 minutes.  Of course I paid by check last month.  These swindlers should be arrested for scaring people.  There must be a way to catch them.  Someone told me nobody calls for money.  If they are legitimate, they send you a letter.  Now, I just hang up.  I also get the “Grandma I’m in jail and need bail money”.

I only answer my phone if it's a number I recognize or has been pre-programmed (ie my kids, etc).  If the call is legitimate they'll leave a message.  I also don't give out my number or put it on forms/questionnaires etc.  If it's "required" I make one up.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I am surprised that all the states don't have a way to stop robocalls since that option is readily available here in NC through all major carriers, cell and landline.

What's this? I don't see anything online other than reporting calls to the DOJ.

• LOL 1
On 10/3/2021 at 6:46 AM, icemiser69 said:

For years it has been often said that it isn't masculine for men to have cats as pets.  They must have dogs.

I can remember talking to various people back in the day about pets.  And when I have said I have always had cats, never owned a dog, on more than one occasion, I have gotten that weird confused tilted head look from individuals.  That same reaction that a dog gives when spoken to.

Cats are easier to deal with.  They have a litter box, and don't have to go outside. 

Totally agree, I inherited a dog when I married my husband and he inherited my 3 cats. He'll even tell you that he much prefers to be a cat owner than a dog owner, and we both love the dog, but he's way more work. Plus our cats are fine when we go away for the weekend, the dog has to come with us or be boarded which costs $$$$. We've both agreed that when Bodhi crosses the rainbow bridge he will be our last one. :( 

On 10/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, TattleTeeny said:

but cats have always simply been more appropriate for my schedule, my home, my boyfriend’s allergies, etc. (And I adore a man who adores his cats!)

At some point when my oldest daughter was young she started to beg for a dog, we'd only ever had cats but her best friend got a Lab puppy so she wanted one. One hot summer day she came home from her buddy's house and announced that she no longer wanted a dog. Why? Because she'd just help her friend clean up the dog poop in the back yard.       

On 10/4/2021 at 3:27 PM, SusannahM said:

I  totally get that not every contractor I reach out to is ready, willing or available to take on whatever current household  issue I am dealing with (right now it is a plumbing problem) but it is getting discouraging, and is now a major peeve of mine, that so many of these people don't even have the courtesy to call me back.  A simple "sorry but I'm swamped" would be enough.  So maddening.

My husband owns a  company that specializes in one particular thing. Since COVID started he has been very busy which he thinks is because people are home more so they are using the appliance that he works on more. That and they don't have to take time off for him to come. He returns every phone call and email he gets requesting service and people are so grateful just to hear back from him, even if he can't get to them for 6 weeks. Like he tells me, it takes him about 30-40 minutes every evening to return phone calls, as a self-employed contractor, that's your job. 

• Love 8
On 10/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Ooooh, I know I am sort of to blame* for this peeve, as I continue to use the service, but that fucking Stop & Shop grocery delivery can never get anything all the way right ever! I would fall on my head if they ever sent my order with 0 problems. Today’s was a smashed yogurt all over everything else in the bag (which are now paper, not plastic, so at least that’s cool), so “putting away stuff” became “washing stuff off.” Jerks!

*But am I? I pay for the service, even though my reason for using it is laziness and a hatred for grocery shopping, haha!

See, that's where we're different. I'd be so relieved to know that was yogurt.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, TattleTeeny said:

This is why my dad won't have anyone else pick out our food. Four years ago, I wanted to try the curbside service that Giant Eagle started (I think it was four years ago, right before the holidays). I thought it would be more convenient, when the stores were packed (even before Covid), but he refused. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

See, that's where we're different. I'd be so relieved to know that was yogurt.

Not just yogurt, but the only decent PLAIN vegan one I can find around here — always with the vanilla everywhere! Vanilla is not plain, damn it (especially if your goal is making a faux blue cheese dressing!). There, another peeve, haha!

• Love 3

Annoying…but I guess it’s better than the complete call? I don’t even know anymore. When it’s a live human, I usually just put the phone down next to the computer through which I’m listening to Howard Stern or a podcast.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not just yogurt, but the only decent PLAIN vegan one I can find around here

I was making a nastier implication, so I'm a little glad no one got it. Except maybe other people from NYC--we've all seen unspeakable things.

When I answer a spam call, which isn't often, I push the mute button and listen to them breathe on the other end till I get bored. Sometimes they curse in addition to breathe, but again nothing worse than I've heard before.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was making a nastier implication, so I'm a little glad no one got it. Except maybe other people from NYC--we've all seen unspeakable things.

Oh I knew exactly what you meant, but chose not to comment on it. Yes, I have lived in NY for years of my life. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

When I answer a spam call, which isn't often, I push the mute button and listen to them breathe on the other end till I get bored. Sometimes they curse in addition to breathe, but again nothing worse than I've heard before.

We *never pick up the phone. It lets their computers know someone's home at that particular time. (*Actually, two weeks ago I was expecting a call & thought I saw the name of the company on caller ID. I picked up the phone, heard nothing...and immediately knew I'd screwed up royally & the phone calls increased terribly!)  I can't believe we have to endure crap like spam calls today.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Ahahhahahahaha, I did but I didn’t want to add to it in case I was wrong! Also, in the moment, I got extra mad and sidetracked about the plain vs. vanilla debate in my own head.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, RealHousewife said:

I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

That's a pet peeve of mine too. I've had coworkers who FaceTime on speaker during work, so obnoxious and distracting.

Another pet peeve of mine is people who say all kinds of raunchy things but clutch their pearls over cursing. How are you going to talk about your sex life and all sorts of stuff but a damn shocks you?

watching Youtube videos and listening to music on speak! WTF? seriously that is what headphones are for.

• Love 3

How rough people who work in the beauty industry can be on the skin. I've experienced this from eyebrow threaders to those who work more on the medical side of aesthetics. It's crazy how much they'll pull and tug at your skin. It's like great, my brows look good, but my skin is super red and irritated. 

• Love 2
On 10/11/2021 at 9:58 AM, BexKeps said:

At some point when my oldest daughter was young she started to beg for a dog, we'd only ever had cats but her best friend got a Lab puppy so she wanted one. One hot summer day she came home from her buddy's house and announced that she no longer wanted a dog. Why? Because she'd just help her friend clean up the dog poop in the back yard. 

When I was little I thought I wanted to be a cowgirl because then I'd have a horse and get to wear cowboy boots. I wasn't into any other country related stuff and lived in the city so I'm not sure why I didn't just say I wanted a horse. Anyway once I found out about horse poop and what it took to dispose if it I was happy with my toy horses/unicorns/etc...

One of my peeves is people who think caring for pets who have health issues can't be as stressful as caring for humans who have health issues. I've done both and sometimes get more frustrated over situations because cats can't come out and tell you how thier feeling verbally. I've been at this awhile with my current cat and his cursed urinary issues that I can usually pick up on things early. With his newly diagnosed CKD though it's thrown me for a loop a couple times with the additional symptoms that accompany it. 

• Love 8

@Jaded, I’m sorry to hear about your sick kitty. I had two elderly ladies with CKD in their later years, and it seemed like I had to take one or the other of them to the emergency vet for a UTI every three months (always late at night or very early in the morning). It was very stressful for them and me. I was lucky to work for a manager who loved animals and was fine with the occasional last minute email that I was working from home because I had to take kitty to the vet at 6am. It also helped when the vet just started giving my girls a shot when they had a UTI rather than struggling with giving them oral medication. I hope kitty feels better soon.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Jaded said:

When I was little I thought I wanted to be a cowgirl because then I'd have a horse and get to wear cowboy boots. I wasn't into any other country related stuff and lived in the city so I'm not sure why I didn't just say I wanted a horse. Anyway once I found out about horse poop and what it took to dispose if it I was happy with my toy horses/unicorns/etc...

One of my peeves is people who think caring for pets who have health issues can't be as stressful as caring for humans who have health issues. I've done both and sometimes get more frustrated over situations because cats can't come out and tell you how thier feeling verbally. I've been at this awhile with my current cat and his cursed urinary issues that I can usually pick up on things early. With his newly diagnosed CKD though it's thrown me for a loop a couple times with the additional symptoms that accompany it. 

I'm so sorry, and I totally agree. I'm dealing with this with one of my dogs - he is the sweetest, but I don't know his history (we adopted him December 2018). Ever since he's had trouble walking, this year, he snaps when we're trying to get him up, so I've had to be creative, like pulling up the quilts he sleeps on, when they're underneath him, helping him up that way (it pushes him into a standing position, if I stand behind it, and get my ankles underneath him). My dad got a muzzle for certain times, because he actually bit him last week. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I had one of those days when I woke up to the power being out. Hadn't had enough sleep, and my phone wasn't charged, so I couldn't check to see if it was just us, the neighbourhood, or a larger area. Couldn't contact anyone, check anything. I was feeling depressed anyway, so I just went back to sleep, after checking on the animals, and reading a bit. It was too quiet, and I just felt so alone. It finally came back on, early afternoon, after about five hours, so I'm roasting the chicken that was in the fridge, and wondering about the stuff in the freezer. 

Now I'm all showered, and watching Poltergeist, finally relaxing a bit, now that dad is home. 

• Love 4

Click-bait news. Last night the local CBS affiliate went into commercial with a vague warning about a rice cereal recall. Um, that shit is important. What if someone was about to feed their kid rice cereal and now they have to wait for the commercial break and two more, completely unimportant stories, including a story about a handful of high schools students being locked out of their high school, because the school is now requiring students to use their ID to access building, and these students needed a new ID. WHY IS THAT NEWS? And, why is that news ahead of a food recall? /screams

Here is some info on the rice cereal recall in case anyone is impacted

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/maple-island-inc-issues-voluntary-recall-three-lots-parents-choice-rice-baby-cereal

Maple Island Inc. has issued a voluntary recall of three lots of its Parent’s Choice Rice Baby Cereal that it manufactures for Walmart. This recall is a result of a routine sampling program by the FDA which found that a sample from three production lots of Parent’s Choice Rice Baby Cereal tested above the guidance for naturally occurring inorganic arsenic.

Maple Island Inc. is voluntarily recalling this product with the knowledge of the FDA, This product was distributed nationally through Walmart’s stores and online. Walmart was advised and has pulled the product from its store shelves and put a register block on the product at its stores and online to prevent any further sales.

The specific Parent’s Choice Rice Baby Cereal 8 oz lots being recalled were sold after April 5, 2021, and include:

Lot 21083 with UPC Code #00681131082907 with a best if used by date of JUN 24 2022.

Lot 21084 with UPC Code #00681131082907 with a best if used by date of JUN 25 2022

Lot 21242 with UPC Code #00681131082907 with a best if used by date of NOV 30 2022

The best if used by date and product numbers can be found in the bottom left corner on the back of the Parent’s Choice Rice Baby Cereal packaging.

• Love 4

First World Problems.

• It is still in the 80s where I live
  • My apartment complex turned off the AC last Saturday
  • It is 80 fucking degrees in my apartment
  • Opening my bedroom window and balcony door isn't helping to bring down the temperature
  • Because it's still fucking summer weather outside!
  • I wish we could control when to use heat and AC here

Told ya. First World Problems.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

WHY IS THAT NEWS?

This is why I PVR our local news.  I got tired of yelling "this is NOT news" every couple of minutes.  Now I just fast forward through and also skip the sports entirely.  Win for me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

First World Problems.

• Opening my bedroom window and balcony door isn't helping to bring down the temperature

Why did your apt complex turn off the AC? That sounds like Paris where the AC isn't turned on until (I guess) it's officially summer. We lucked out in early May, one year, as it was mostly rainy & cool.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

First World Problems.

Get yourself a stand fan with oscillation and a remote control.  I used a couple all summer to lower the elec. bill and coax another year or so out of the AC.

• Love 1

Pet peeve today - people who 'vaguebook'.  I thought this was something that had died off.  Apparently not.  Posting stuff like "I am so over this" or "I'm done, just done" without any further detail is an obvious cry for attention - when it comes from a 14 yr old I can understand it - from a 35 yr old?  Not so much.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why did your apt complex turn off the AC? That sounds like Paris where the AC isn't turned on until (I guess) it's officially summer. We lucked out in early May, one year, as it was mostly rainy & cool.

Because they have it set that from May 15-October 15 (yeah, AC should still be running) is AC, and October 16-May 14 Heat. There have been exceptions when unseasonably hot weather had them turning on the AC in April.

Oh look! the AC is back on! Guess people were complaining.

9 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Get yourself a stand fan with oscillation and a remote control.  I used a couple all summer to lower the elec. bill and coax another year or so out of the AC.

Oh I do--it's in my bedroom and I have a mini usb port fan sitting on my desk while working.

But it looks like they turned the AC back on since we're still in the 70s-80s for the next week or so.

Utilities are folded into my rent, so I don't pay extra for those.

• Love 2

I'm in NYC and have a similar issue @GHScorpiosRule - any time now my building will start the "mandatory" winter heat if the temperature outside drops below I think 55 F.  Which means that in a prewar building with unregulated heat, it will feel like the 80s in the dead of January.  Right now I'm a little relieved not to be in one of the 10 months of heat (natural in the summer, enforced in the winter) but it does get cold at night.  You can't win sometimes.   I do have one of those ugly "portable" air conditioners with the big hose because of our casement windows, but it does work.

• Useful 1
50 minutes ago, roseha said:

I'm in NYC and have a similar issue @GHScorpiosRule - any time now my building will start the "mandatory" winter heat if the temperature outside drops below I think 55 F.  Which means that in a prewar building with unregulated heat, it will feel like the 80s in the dead of January.  Right now I'm a little relieved not to be in one of the 10 months of heat (natural in the summer, enforced in the winter) but it does get cold at night.  You can't win sometimes.   I do have one of those ugly "portable" air conditioners with the big hose because of our casement windows, but it does work.

Wow, does it really work?  I was thinking of getting one of those.  I have to replace an aging window unit.  Also in NYC.  We have to have specially licensed contractors install our window units each year if we remove them for winter so we don't incur liability for ACs falling on people. 

I believe tomorrow (Oct. 15) starts the season for automatic heat.  It's 79 degrees outside now. 

Edited by GussieK
17 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Wow, does it really work?  I was thinking of getting one of those.  I have to replace an aging window unit.  Also in NYC.  We have to have specially licensed contractors install our window units each year if we remove them for winter so we don't incur liability for ACs falling on people. 

I believe tomorrow (Oct. 15) starts the season for automatic heat.  It's 79 degrees outside now. 

Wow. I had no idea this type of "comfort control" existed here. TPTB need to make changes to their dates for AC now that global warming  is being felt.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, roseha said:

20 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I live in Maryland; in a high rise apartment.

I'll just get me another oscillating stand fan for the living room.

But I'm feeling much better now, with the cool air circulating in the living room.

On 10/6/2021 at 10:04 PM, Bastet said:

A friend is moving to another state next month, and hadn't planned on taking most of her furniture with her - a lot of it is stuff she's had for over 20 years and not the greatest quality because that's all she could afford at the time; she figured she'd replace it once she bought a house, and that's finally happening -- donate/sell most of it here, and buy new stuff there to go with the new house.

But now it's so hard to get anything, she can't take the chance, and will have to pay movers to schlep it all to the new house, and then replace one by one when she secures new pieces.

When I moved to Rochester NY from Illinois in January, I was going to get rid of my furniture too (your friend and I seem to be alternate universe twins) but my daughter cautioned me about furniture being hard to get.