Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

A peeve and a peeve solution:

Today I went to put something in one of those locking food containers, and I noticed there was mold around the silicone gasket. This has happened before, and I was able to remove the gasket pretty easily to clean it. Not today. Today I made a hole in one gasket and broke another one right in half. So then I went looking for replacement gaskets, which it turns out are not a thing. But the company who makes my containers (Glasslock) will send you a brand-new lid for free. Of course there's a shipping charge, but that's still a lot less than buying a whole new container or a whole set of them. So the peeve is that the gaskets are very fragile.

But in the course of this hunting, I found an easier and less destructive way than pointy tweezers (my weapon of choice) to get out the gasket. So if anyone else has this type of container--which I love, let me be clear--to remove the gasket you just take a credit card and pry it out, preferably at a corner. It takes a few tries, but eventually you get the hang of it.

Easy peasy. I've done four of them now.

P.S. This guy uses a plastic toothpick, but I think the ones we have are too flimsy.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

A peeve and a peeve solution:

Today I went to put something in one of those locking food containers, and I noticed there was mold around the silicone gasket. This has happened before, and I was able to remove the gasket pretty easily to clean it. Not today. Today I made a hole in one gasket and broke another one right in half. So then I went looking for replacement gaskets, which it turns out are not a thing. But the company who makes my containers (Glasslock) will send you a brand-new lid for free. Of course there's a shipping charge, but that's still a lot less than buying a whole new container or a whole set of them. So the peeve is that the gaskets are very fragile.

But in the course of this hunting, I found an easier and less destructive way than pointy tweezers (my weapon of choice) to get out the gasket. So if anyone else has this type of container--which I love, let me be clear--to remove the gasket you just take a credit card and pry it out, preferably at a corner. It takes a few tries, but eventually you get the hang of it.

Easy peasy. I've done four of them now.

P.S. This guy uses a plastic toothpick, but I think the ones we have are too flimsy.

Have you tried Rubbermaid Brilliance containers? We use them all the time, & I've never had any mold problems or had to remove the gasket. I just throw them in the dishwasher to clean them. That said, they don't have any round containers, & I see Glasslock does, so I may check them out.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I just looked at them, @GaT, and they look nice. I'm filing them away for future reference--thanks. If I live long enough, I'll eventually have to replace the Glasslocks, theoretically.

Do you know if they can go into the microwave? I searched the front page, but there wasn't any mention of that.

47 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I just looked at them, @GaT, and they look nice. I'm filing them away for future reference--thanks. If I live long enough, I'll eventually have to replace the Glasslocks, theoretically.

Do you know if they can go into the microwave? I searched the front page, but there wasn't any mention of that.

Yes, we use them in the microwave all the time. We only have the plastic ones, so I don't know how they are in the oven.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I used to find baking bread very soothing. But I now can buy sprouted grain bread (better for pre-diabetes condition), and while I might like sprouting the grains, I'd have to get a food processor, and I don't know that the kneading and rising would be the same--which was the soothing part.

Pet peeve I'm trying to get over that I mentioned some weeks ago:
For 40 years --including 20 in California and 20 in Illinois-- I've never had to begin reciting my phone number with the words "area code," but now in Western NY I do. It feels like a telecommunications time warp. 

Related:  I’m pretty old, and I grew up in the time when we didn’t dial an area code and the entire City of New York was 212, but I understand that you don’t have to say “one”—with a great deal of emphasis—at the beginning when telling someone your phone number. My aunt never grasped that. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Related:  I’m pretty old, and I grew up in the time when we didn’t dial an area code and the entire City of New York was 212, but I understand that you don’t have to say “one”—with a great deal of emphasis—at the beginning when telling someone your phone number. My aunt never grasped that. 

I went from 212 to 718. Too many people!!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Pet peeve I'm trying to get over that I mentioned some weeks ago:
For 40 years --including 20 in California and 20 in Illinois-- I've never had to begin reciting my phone number with the words "area code," but now in Western NY I do. It feels like a telecommunications time warp. 

That's weird.  I live in Vermont which is all covered by one area code, but whenever I give my cell out I always start with the area code and I never have to say the words "area code."  But, maybe it's because when I start with 802 they know what I'm going for.

I remember when I was a kid, we only had to dial 5 digits for local calls.  The emergency fire number was 5-4545 (fire 4 fire 4 fire).  I did have to know, but no longer remember, the emergency number for the police.  Apparently they didn't have a catchy mnemonic device.

• Love 2

Yes any more with cell phones I think most include the area code regardless.  

Didn't used to with home phones. Generally you knew the phone was based in the area and one area code covered big areas, unless you lived in new York. 

There was a Seinfeld episode about this. Elaine got a new phone number and with a new area code. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

It was also the addition of individual phone lines in offices and other things. Faxes, cell phones later leading to even more area codes. In my first couple of jobs there was no direct dialing. The company would have one number for hundreds of employees, and an operator would connect you to the individual extension.  When they introduced direct dialing everyone got new phone numbers and it multiplied the number of numbers astronomically. 

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I grew up in Queens, and my mom got 718. I had moved to Manhattan so I retained 212. See Seinfeld, @DrSpaceman73.  Now I gave up that land line!  I still remember our long ago phone numbers with words:  JAmaica 3–etc. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

I still remember our long ago phone numbers with words:  JAmaica 3–etc. 

We had the words/letters representing the first 2 numbers of the prefix of the phone number too, but I don't recall any.

But I do remember every Sunday evening Mom picking up the phone to call her dad and dialing 0 and saying, "I'd like to reverse the charges and call Newark, New Jersey..." 
I can't remember what words or numbers came after that, but I think the next part was "Area Code" (probably 212) after we were in Illinois, so I guess I shouldn't be so bent out of shape about having to preface the first 3 numbers with "Area Code." I just assumed the country had moved on from that, but apparently not western NY state.

Yesterday I got a call from a repairman who gave his complete 10-digit, not-local phone number without starting with the words "Area Code." I didn't say anything, but felt like we were kindred spirits, LOL. He also had a Russian accent reminiscent of my dad's parents. 

3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I grew up in Queens, and my mom got 718. I had moved to Manhattan so I retained 212. See Seinfeld, @DrSpaceman73.

A daughter who went to NYU in 2001 was so disappointed that her cell phone number area code was 917 instead of 212. We used to watch Seinfeld reruns, but I guess we missed that one, which is episode 9.19 "The Maid." 
So it's been over 20 years since all the places I've lived (until now) split up area codes.

It was also the addition of individual phone lines in offices and other things. Faxes, cell phones later leading to even more area codes. In my first couple of jobs there was no direct dialing. The company would have one number for hundreds of employees, and an operator would connect you to the individual extension.  When they introduced direct dialing everyone got new phone numbers and it multiplied the number of numbers astronomically. 

I had assumed the assignment of new area codes was owing to the advent of cell phones, but the college where I worked was still using one main number with extensions until about 2015, so I didn't make that connection--which makes sense.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Today I went to put something in one of those locking food containers, and I noticed there was mold around the silicone gasket.

You just reminded me of the time I went to rinse out my water bottle. The part through which you drank had a gasket that was fixed to it, it didn't come off. I only used this water bottle at work, only used it for cold water. I thought I was pretty diligent in rinsing it every day and letting it air dry. One day I went to rinse it and I tapped the lid against the sink, black stuff splattered on the sink. I tapped it again, more black stuff. I started taking my finger and running it around the gasket and got a bunch of black slimey mold. I was so disgusted that I'd been drinking that for months apparently. I threw the whole thing out as I couldn't remove the gasket and I didn't want to risk it.

• Love 1

Not surprised, @BexKeps. I had this happen (though not as nauseatingly dramatic as what you described) with the silicone bits on my water bottle, too. I'm guessing there's something about silicone and mold.

I was able to buy replacements from Thermos, who makes the Intāk, for $1 a set (there are three parts to replace). Definitely a bargain. I bought multiples, because I really like this bottle.

• Love 1

@Mondrianyone it still nauseates me to this day. If I hadn't been so panicked and grossed out I might have looked into just getting a replacement for that part. I ended up going with a thermal cup with a lid that also has a gasket but is removable for cleaning. 

Healthy Human Insulated Tumbler Cruisers with Stainless Steel Straw & Clear Lid - Keeps Hot & Cold Beverages 2 Times Longer - Vacuum Double Walled The

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Speaking of gaskets, here's another peeve.  I hate how the refrigerator gaskets get moldy--constantly having to clean them.  Usually I pull out the old toothbrush and bleach solution.  Now I got a new refrigerator at my weekend house, and it has black gaskets.  They think they're doing you a favor, but this is not a good thing.  It's harder to clean, and you have to clean it so you don't get gross things growing.  I like that they switched beige computers to black so it doesn't "show the dirt."  But not refrigerator gaskets. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Speaking of gaskets, here's another peeve.  I hate how the refrigerator gaskets get moldy--constantly having to clean them.  Usually I pull out the old toothbrush and bleach solution.  Now I got a new refrigerator at my weekend house, and it has black gaskets.  They think they're doing you a favor, but this is not a good thing.  It's harder to clean, and you have to clean it so you don't get gross things growing.  I like that they switched beige computers to black so it doesn't "show the dirt."  But not refrigerator gaskets. 

I too like to be able to see the "dirt." 
Decades ago --possibly pre-Internet-- I read that ammonia is better at killing mold and keeping it from growing back than bleach. [shapeshifter googles] Hrmm, not really: https://www.homehealthyhomes.com/services/mold-services/mold-information/how-to-kill-mold/

• LOL 2

I'm off for the rest of the week to get a few things done around the house, and this morning I went to Costco with my mom.  (She was getting a lot of stuff, and, while she's capable of doing it on her own, it's easier if someone else does all that lifting and pushing.  Costco is pretty much my dad's idea of hell, and I needed a few things, so I went.)

She walks with a cane, and slowly.  I get it; that's annoying to be behind.  But, good gods, she can't help it - and no one is more annoyed than she is that she can't still get around like she used to - and she stays off to the side of what are quite wide aisles, so the fact that in the course of one shopping trip three different people nearly plowed her over in their hurry to get around her is revolting.

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm off for the rest of the week to get a few things done around the house, and this morning I went to Costco with my mom.  (She was getting a lot of stuff, and, while she's capable of doing it on her own, it's easier if someone else does all that lifting and pushing.  Costco is pretty much my dad's idea of hell, and I needed a few things, so I went.)

She walks with a cane, and slowly.  I get it; that's annoying to be behind.  But, good gods, she can't help it - and no one is more annoyed than she is that she can't still get around like she used to - and she stays off to the side of what are quite wide aisles, so the fact that in the course of one shopping trip three different people nearly plowed her over in their hurry to get around her is revolting.

I am very outraged on your and your mom's behalf at those self-centered people.🤬 Five years ago when I was on chemo and could barely push the cart in the grocery store at a snail's pace, a woman on a cell phone behind me kept nudging me by running over the heels of my shoes with her cart. I tried to wave her around, but she didn't notice. So I guess this behavior isn't new, but there is sure a lot more of it.

In their late 80s, Mom and Dad used to go to Costco for combo exercise/shopping. Mom was a lot like your mom then, @Bastet, so she would "push" the empty shopping cart like a walker over to the book aisle and stay there while Dad brought stuff for the cart. The cart wasn't vey "full" because they went a couple of times a week.
Maybe if your mom puts her cane in the cart and pushes the cart, it will provide a bit of protection from rude idiots. Heck, she can have one cart, and you can have another cart so the self-absorbed a$$holes won't be able to miss your wagon train.

But, yeah. Those wide Costco aisles should be safe. Of course, Mom & Dad in their late 80s rarely left the house on weekends to avoid crowds, but now with so many working from home I don't think that is as big of a distinction anymore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

People who wear the masks around their necks when they’re in a public place instead of on their face. Either wear a mask or don’t, but it’s not supposed to be a necklace!!!!

I used to have the exact same sentiment, necklace comparison and all, and still do if someone is in my space and talking to me.

However . . .

I have kind of become that person. I've been vaccinated for awhile and have taken covid seriously since the beginning, far more so than most healthy folks my age and in the state I live where I wore masks earlier than most and still wear them more than most. When I go into the office, I'm one of the very few who still goes in masked. I also don't do much outside of the house in an effort to avoid covid. I'm mostly on here when I'm not working. 

I do now often just have a mask around my neck if I am not close enough to anyone and won't be speaking to anyone. I often shop late, and I don't think you really catch covid from a maskless person several feet away from you. You're more than likely going to get it from a friend or family member. If a store is packed, I make sure the mask is covering everything at all times. I also make sure my mouth and nose are covered if I will be near an associate or someone approaches me. 

I do get annoyed by the people who get into your space maskless though, especially when you have a mask covering your mouth and nose. To me that is reminder that there is a pandemic and a person wearing a mask is trying to avoid catching/spreading sickness. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In their late 80s, Mom and Dad used to go to Costco for combo exercise/shopping. Mom was a lot like your mom then, @Bastet, so she would "push" the empty shopping cart like a walker over to the book aisle and stay there while Dad brought stuff for the cart. The cart wasn't vey "full" because they went a couple of times a week.

My parents each get a cart when they go to the store and use them like walkers.  But they usually stick together and put stuff in just one of the carts.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I am outraged on behalf of your mom, @Bastet, but I agree with your dad that Costco is my idea of hell.  I don't have a membership. 

I love how much money I save there, the quality of what they carry (especially under their Kirkland label), and how they treat their employees, but I am very deliberate about when I go because I could not handle it during the after-work or, worse, weekend crowds.  My dad hates shopping in general, and Costco in particular because he gets impatient with how long it takes (since it's huge and sometimes they move things around so you have to go hunting). 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love how much money I save there, the quality of what they carry (especially under their Kirkland label), and how they treat their employees, but I am very deliberate about when I go because I could not handle it during the after-work or, worse, weekend crowds.  My dad hates shopping in general, and Costco in particular because he gets impatient with how long it takes (since it's huge and sometimes they move things around so you have to go hunting). 

I agree.  I'd rather go to a smaller store where I don't feel like I need roller skates to get around.  And I also hate waiting on lines.  I always try to go early to avoid lines wherever I shop.

• Love 2

Today's pet peeve is a pet 😾 peeve.  I am good 'n damned sick 'n tired of not being able to easily (or even moderately) find my cats' preferred food.  I'm traversing the county bi-monthly to 4-5 stores, just to get enough inventory to feed them.  We're closing in on two years of this chit now, and I would like these manufacturers/distributors/importers/transporters/retailers to figure it the f*ck out.  The photo is from today's effort, at a large midwestern/Great Lakes regional supermarket chain.  Every store I go to, looks very similar.

Thanks for the rant space.

php7nykoAPM.jpg

2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Today's pet peeve is a pet 😾 peeve.  I am good 'n damned sick 'n tired of not being able to easily (or even moderately) find my cats' preferred food.  I'm traversing the county bi-monthly to 4-5 stores, just to get enough inventory to feed them.  We're closing in on two years of this chit now, and I would like these manufacturers/distributors/importers/transporters/retailers to figure it the f*ck out.  The photo is from today's effort, at a large midwestern/Great Lakes regional supermarket chain.  Every store I go to, looks very similar.

I know I'm probably supporting an evil empire, but can't you order you cat's fav food from Amazon?
Or how about PetCo?

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I know I'm probably supporting an evil empire, but can't you order you cat's fav food from Amazon?
Or how about PetCo?

Unfortunately, online ordering only seems to support buying in case lots of mixed varieties, and my little darlings won't eat all of the varieties packed in the cases.  The little darlings insist on variety, just not that variety.  Amazon, Chewy...I've checked them all.  I was at Petco yesterday.  Their supply was similar.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Unfortunately, online ordering only seems to support buying in case lots of mixed varieties, and my little darlings won't eat all of the varieties packed in the cases.  The little darlings insist on variety, just not that variety.  Amazon, Chewy...I've checked them all.  I was at Petco yesterday.  Their supply was similar.

Same here, man! And small condo with not a lot of space to stash a bunch of cases of each kind that they do eat. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Today's peeve: scamming plumbers. I unfortunately met one this weekend -- came, did a totally botched job, and ran and didn't answer texts and calls.

So sorry that happened to you.  To assign you a task in light of ^this may seem cruel, but I would ask that you spend some time reporting this a**hole to the proper entities, so as to hopefully prevent others from suffering the same fate.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I order from Only Natural Pet. I'm not sure of their total selection, since I buy only the finest cat food made from sasquatch farts and unicorn tears lest my precious babies ingest anything but the most divine morsels to ever touch a feline's lips.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I just went to Only Natural Pet to browse around and I saw this (bolding mine), which made me laugh and feel mildly peeved at the same time.

"Cat's are wired to meet their hydration needs through food. Add hydration boosting foods & toppers to your cats diet to help meet their water needs."

As an editor, it just innately bugs me (but only a little, really; I feel like non-editors get more aggro than I do about this shit). But, even more so, as an editor, I totally get how it can happen -- eg, editor marked "add apostrophe" to the wrong instance of "cats" or the designer misinterpreted where to add it. And I am betting no one is more annoyed by it than the editor who worked on it.

ETA: If there even is an official editor; seems like lots of businesses believe us to be unnecessary expenses, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just went to Only Natural Pet to browse around and I saw this (bolding mine), which made me laugh and feel mildly peeved at the same time.

As an editor, it just innately bugs me. But, even more so, as an editor, I totally get how it can happen; eg, editor marked "add apostrophe" to the wrong instance of "cats" or the designer misinterpreted where to add it. And I am betting no one is more annoyed at it than the editor who worked on it.

Yet another example of how the use of digital communications has inexplicably devalued proper grammar.  Irksome.

• Love 7

I think of it as the plumber coming to your house to fix a leak and using all the wrong wrenches and fittings, and then after he leaves, the cleanup plumber comes and redoes it all correctly. Except he never gets the same credit or the same money as the first guy.

But sometimes he (or she, mostly she in publishing) gets his name on the Plumbers' Acknowledgments Page. Only sometimes, though.

• Love 2

Work pet peeve - when people don’t mark their vacation days on their Outlook calendar. This is standard at my company but there always seem to be a few people who don’t do it. Also, when you respond to my meeting to tell me you are out on leave, please tell me when you will be back in the office. It’s the least you can do if you won’t mark it on your calendar. Bonus peeve points to people who ask me to schedule the meeting and pull this. I am not an admin assistant or possess any special skills that make it easier for me to schedule your meeting; we have now spent more time going back and forth about it than if this person had just done it himself from the beginning.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Work pet peeve - when people don’t mark their vacation days on their Outlook calendar. This is standard at my company but there always seem to be a few people who don’t do it. Also, when you respond to my meeting to tell me you are out on leave, please tell me when you will be back in the office. It’s the least you can do if you won’t mark it on your calendar. Bonus peeve points to people who ask me to schedule the meeting and pull this. I am not an admin assistant or possess any special skills that make it easier for me to schedule your meeting; we have now spent more time going back and forth about it than if this person had just done it himself from the beginning.

My experience over 18 years at 1 institution revealed that those who failed to follow the protocols for reporting their expected whereabouts to their coworkers were the same employees who only showed up for work 4 days out of 5, came in late, and left early.

Once when I was looking for a colleague, someone who had an adjacent office quipped “Does he still work here?” 
A few months later the guy who made the snarky remark was fired. 
To be fair, his job was providing tech support and he was snarky with everyone.  
But that was about 15 years ago, and the slacker is still there. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It is only when we miss something that our existence is acknowledged, haha!

But not always. I recently had a book dedicated to me, which was very lovely and totally unexpected. We've done a lot of books together, though, the author and I, and we've become close friends. So not everything's a complaint.

• Love 8

Oh, I was only half kidding. Actual publishers and writers are usually OK about it (as they understand what an editor is). It's the retail and other entities that seem to be baffled as to why we're needed in addition to a basic spell check. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

php7nykoAPM.jpg

That is what my store looks like... 

I had to switch my cat's food from raw to canned and the time before last that my local pet food store ordered me a case (it's a pretty small store, and for the particular variety of Wellness Riley eats, they only stock the small cans, so they place a monthly special order for me of the larger cans), the distributor was having a very hard time getting it from the manufacturer.  So I had to order a case from Chewy to tide her over, and even that took several days longer than their usual two because none of their warehouses anywhere near me had it (for which they gave me a very generous discount; I prefer to shop at my local, independently-owned store, but Chewy's customer service is top notch so I feel very good buying from them when I need to).

Thankfully, the last order presented no problem for my local retailer, but I was holding my breath; cat food is the last thing I want to run into supply chain problems with!  She's a very finicky eater, and has a small appetite even for the few things she loves, so it's a big deal if none of those things are available; she's not the kind of cat I can just put something else down and say "when you get hungry enough, you'll eat it".

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

when you get hungry enough, you'll eat it".

I have had to step into ^that space for the last year and a half.  I have tried more varieties/brands than I can count in an attempt to increase the available choices, but I'm getting dirty looks every time.  That plus I am not of independent wealth, and cannot spend an infinite $$ for higher end alternatives which have not been tried.  All I need is for them to decide they loooove that $2/can Special Kitty manna from heaven.  Four cans per day = no bueno gatos.

• Love 2
On 9/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, Bastet said:

My dad hates shopping in general, and Costco in particular because he gets impatient with how long it takes (since it's huge and sometimes they move things around so you have to go hunting). 

BJs moves things around and their aisle signage is terrible.  One time I got so frustrated that I called the service desk from inside the store and asked them where something was.  She didn't even know and had to put me on hold to find out. 

I filled out one of their online "how are we doing" surveys and told them that I realized that they move things around so you'll have to hunt for them and that they're hopeful that during your trek you'll see something to impulse buy.   I said that Mr. Angeltoes and I were both over 60 years old and if we couldn't find what we were looking for in a reasonable amount of time then we weren't going on a boot camp hike in order to find it.  We'd would leave there and go to our grocery store to make our purchase since we know where to find things there.  They probably didn't give a damn but I felt better.

• Love 4

prolly bcos their is no scientific studies to support that position.

This quote from a totally different forum includes at least five of my grammar peeves.  And, anonymous poster, if you are also on this forum, I apologize - I'm sure you were in a hurry and dang auto-correct.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 3