Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 9/7/2021 at 10:51 AM, emma675 said:

I can't decide if this is a peeve or a laugh. The last two packages I've ordered from different places have been sent via USPS. I live in Texas and one package was coming from Florida and one from Seattle. Both have literally crossed the US before arriving at my house. The Seattle one flew to Brooklyn first and the Florida one went to California first. Mind you, both arrived on time, I just can't figure out why they flew over my state first before coming back around. I'm jealous my mail is traveling more than I am right now.

I ordered from a company that used to have a store in the mall less than a mile from my house.  The store closed during the pandemic.  I ordered on Aug. 28 and was told to expect delivery in 5 to 8 days.  On September 2, I got an email saying my order would arrive the next day.  However, when I clicked on "Track Package"  it said my order would arrive September 4.  Ok, fine, whatever.  Except it is September 8 and it's still not here.  Track Package tells me it is at a sorting facility about 70 miles from my house and has not moved since September 2.  How long will I have to wait until the USPS figures out how to move a package from eastern Wisconsin to central Wisconsin?  I'm giving it until next week and then I'll contact the company to tell them my package has been either lost or stolen.  If I eventually get the package I will contact the company to tell them I will not order from them again unless they can guarantee my items will not be sent via USPS.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I ordered from a company that used to have a store in the mall less than a mile from my house.  The store closed during the pandemic.  I ordered on Aug. 28 and was told to expect delivery in 5 to 8 days.  On September 2, I got an email saying my order would arrive the next day.  However, when I clicked on "Track Package"  it said my order would arrive September 4.  Ok, fine, whatever.  Except it is September 8 and it's still not here.  Track Package tells me it is at a sorting facility about 70 miles from my house and has not moved since September 2.  How long will I have to wait until the USPS figures out how to move a package from eastern Wisconsin to central Wisconsin?  I'm giving it until next week and then I'll contact the company to tell them my package has been either lost or stolen.  If I eventually get the package I will contact the company to tell them I will not order from them again unless they can guarantee my items will not be sent via USPS.  

That is almost identical to what happened with my package, which was also USPS:

On 9/7/2021 at 3:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

...The day I ordered the swimsuit, it left a warehouse 2 hours away from me, allegedly on a truck. 
Then I got messages for 2 days saying it was "delayed." 
So I'm wondering if the truck driver broke down, or meth addicts stole my swimsuit or...? 
After taking a trip several hours in the wrong direction and spending another night on the road, it finally arrived, taking 5 business days....

The thing is, technically it was sent FedEx, but apparently FedEx drivers can drop it off USPS.

I did hear that USPS is going to be hiring a lot of more people, so maybe that will help.

I only get mail delivered to my house about 3 times per week, which is okay, but it means if I put something out to be picked up, and it turns out they aren't delivering to me that day, they don't pick up either.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The thing is, technically it was sent FedEx, but apparently FedEx drivers can drop it off USPS.

I did hear that USPS is going to be hiring a lot of more people, so maybe that will help.

I only get mail delivered to my house about 3 times per week, which is okay, but it means if I put something out to be picked up, and it turns out they aren't delivering to me that day, they don't pick up either.

My package too - this is what they do now, they lull us into a false sense of security, thinking it's coming via FedEx, and then suddenly the package is given to the USPS, which is just a shit show since deliberate decisions were made to slow down the mail.  

26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Doubt it.  They may try to hire people but I doubt they'll be particularly successful.  No one is having any luck hiring.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me what random topics I stumble upon in here.  Kittens farting.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I'm agnostic and respect everyone's beliefs from the really devoutly religious to the atheists. But one of my pet peeves is when people bring up all the beautiful, amazing things in life as proof of God. I try to be a positive person, but let's not pretend there's not a ton of ugliness and pain in this world either. 

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm agnostic and respect everyone's beliefs from the really devoutly religious to the atheists. But one of my pet peeves is when people bring up all the beautiful, amazing things in life as proof of God. I try to be a positive person, but let's not pretend there's not a ton of ugliness and pain in this world either. 

And I'm sure it doesn't help if you try to explain to the definition of "proof" to them.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm going get real here and say that the USPS has been f**king up delivering the mail, all while losing millions annually, since well before the pandemic was a concept in a lab somewhere.  Now, they've added f**king up package deliveries to their resume'.

• Love 1
On 9/5/2021 at 1:23 PM, emma675 said:

Oy, same. And I have dense tissue so I can lose weight and my cup size doesn't change. I lost over 30 pounds a few years ago and went from a 32DDD to a 30DDD. It's gotten to the point where I'm looking into a reduction to help with my back/neck/shoulder pain, asthetics comes second now (although I would love to buy tops that are actually my size instead of ones that will fit over my knockers).

30 bands are IMPOSSIBLE to find - even for those of us who are Bs or smaller!  And people look at you funny when you tell them that you're a 30.  It's like "what, are you 10?"  

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, PRgal said:

30 bands are IMPOSSIBLE to find - even for those of us who are Bs or smaller!  And people look at you funny when you tell them that you're a 30.  It's like "what, are you 10?"  

I used to wear 28 band, LOL. 
Fortunately(?) because I have such a short torso, during pregnancy my ribs permanently expanded, so a 32 works--sometimes a 34, and because cup size is determined by the difference between the band and the largest point measurement, I have not been a D since weaning my 42 year-old. 
But I mostly wear those stretchy step-in bras.
In my many decades of bra wearing, it is ALWAYS the first thing I take off after shoes and coat when I get home. 
When I was still working, if I had a split shift with 2 hours at home in between, I took it off.
And, no, I am not wearing one right now.

over 40 years ago!

Edited by shapeshifter
footnote for clarity!
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I used to wear 28 band, LOL. 
Fortunately(?) because I have such a short torso, during pregnancy my ribs permanently expanded, so a 32 works--sometimes a 34, and because cup size is determined by the difference between the band and the largest point measurement, I have not been a D since weaning my 42 year-old.
But I mostly wear those stretchy step-in bras.
In my many decades of bra wearing, it is ALWAYS the first thing I take off after shoes and coat when I get home. 
When I was still working, if I had a split shift with 2 hours at home in between, I took it off.
And, no, I am not wearing one right now.

I’m sorry, I misread your meaning when you said “weaning my 42 year old “ 😂

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I know! When I'm a B, my band size is really smaller than a 32. I think if my band size were larger, my boobs wouldn't disappear once I'm dressed. What makes my size strange for me is being 5'7". 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

I know! When I'm a B, my band size is really smaller than a 32. I think if my band size were larger, my boobs wouldn't disappear once I'm dressed. What makes the small band strange strange for me is being 5'7". 

This sounds like a dream! Being able to buy full-length pants and have a wide selection of bras. (I have to buy 7/8th length pants and can only get bras from a handful of specialty brands.)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

This sounds like a dream! Being able to buy full-length pants and have a wide selection of bras. (I have to buy 7/8th length pants and can only get bras from a handful of specialty brands.)

Haha, I guess it's a grass is always greener on the other side thing again! I think petite women are more feminine looking. I'm almost 6 feet with heels, and it sucks when you're as tall or taller than a cute guy. Plus, my feet are big. 

I've considered getting breast implants, but I hope I have a decent selection of bras whatever size I end up. Sometimes I have a hard time finding 32C, but I know it will be harder finding 32D+.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Being able to buy full-length pants

Shortening pants is something I expect to have to do, but I used to sew a lot, so it's a chore, but not a big deal.
But a few years ago when slightly cropped pants were in style (not sure what they were called) I bought some really cute ones and didn't have to shorten them!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I know! When I'm a B, my band size is really smaller than a 32. I think if my band size were larger, my boobs wouldn't disappear once I'm dressed. What makes my size strange for me is being 5'7". 

I'm much shorter at just under 5'2" (well, 5'1 3/4" or so), but 30B can still look boobless, depending on the bra (probably because I have some 32As).  People don't understand why I like underwire, or even feel it's comfortable.  I've had women roll their eyes at me or even criticize me for wearing underwire.  Since when is it their business what I wear over my boobs?

• Love 3
Just now, PRgal said:

I'm much shorter at just under 5'2" (well, 5'1 3/4" or so), but 30B can still look boobless, depending on the bra (probably because I have some 32As).  People don't understand why I like underwire, or even feel it's comfortable.  I've had women roll their eyes at me or even criticize me for wearing underwire.  Since when is it their business what I wear over my boobs?

I'm so sorry, that's so rude!

People who don't mind their business are definitely another pet peeve.

• Love 7

For the big salty water prep, I put a pouch of Crystal Light lemonade in it.    I had the liquid chilled, but not super cold, because that makes me queasy.    So, chilled was better.  Then, I use a big glass, and the widest straw I can find (like the fast food milkshake ones, or Bubble Tea), and put the straw back as far as I can without gagging.     I find standing up while drinking the stuff helps.   I found that there was a lag time between drinking the first half, and output, but the second batch was harder to get down, and the output was immediate.   

They really need to come up with an easier method, that isn't so disgusting, and works equally well. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have to go through the dreaded colonoscopy thing in the not too distant future.  I am not looking forward to it at all.  It was a lot easier going through the process as a teenager when they had checked me from stem to stern when I was cramping badly and my plumbing wouldn't shut off.  They eventually found out I had salmonella.  Back then, I didn't have to drink the horrible drink that people have to drink now.  Back then, they cleaned the pipe from the other direction. 

I just could not get that drink down without practically barfing a few years ago prepping for my most recent colonoscopy.  It was brutal.  There has to be a way to make that drink taste better.

My one and only one I didn't drink it. I fasted for 3 days (chicken broth only) and took 3 Senocot pills. No problems.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm almost 6 feet with heels, and it sucks when you're as tall or taller than a cute guy. Plus, my feet are big.

I'm somewhere between 5'9 and 5'10 and wear a size 10 or 11 shoe.  I like my height, and don't mind the shoe size because it's infinitely easier to find cute shoes in my size than it was 30 years ago.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have to go through the dreaded colonoscopy thing in the not too distant future.  I am not looking forward to it at all.  It was a lot easier going through the process as a teenager when they had checked me from stem to stern when I was cramping badly and my plumbing wouldn't shut off.  They eventually found out I had salmonella.  Back then, I didn't have to drink the horrible drink that people have to drink now.  Back then, they cleaned the pipe from the other direction. 

I just could not get that drink down without practically barfing a few years ago prepping for my most recent colonoscopy.  It was brutal.  There has to be a way to make that drink taste better.

As a stage IV colon cancer survivor, and therefore having had about 5 colonoscopies in as many years, I *should * be the authority on colonoscopies, but @icemiser69 and @rcc have some good tips that I haven't tried.

There *is* a flavorless, clear, watery, smaller prep, but they keep changing its name, and the doctors don't seem to keep up on these things. So I would suggest asking the pharmacist, and then MAKE SURE whoever in the doctor's office sends the prescription for it to the pharmacy doesn't just go on autopilot and order that sweet salty syrup that I personally cannot swallow. 
I don't drink Gatorade either. 
Having hemorrhoids makes the whole process painful too. 
There's a tablet prep too, but I don't know anything about it. 

Nevertheless, a colonoscopy is infinitely better than being treated for colon cancer, which, without a colonoscopy, you can have and not know, because there aren't any symptoms until it's very advanced.

I was really very lucky as it was not near either end of my colon, and it was not during a pandemic, and being older the chemo is more effective (young people's cells divide faster). I still have a bit of Survivor's Guilt, but it's just the nature of the beast.

So, be sure to get the colonoscopy.
</The End>

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I'm somewhere between 5'9 and 5'10 and wear a size 10 or 11 shoe.  I like my height, and don't mind the shoe size because it's infinitely easier to find cute shoes in my size than it was 30 years ago.

And it's next to impossible to find shoes for me (4 1/2 or 5...and no, sales don't work because stores don't usually order many size 5s.  Plus shoes vanity size.  Size 5 actually fit at the end of the last century/beginning of this one.  Then, around 2008, things changed).  Well, if I make a trip to Hong Kong, then it'll be slightly easier, but I'm not flying right now.  

• Love 1

I never thought I would be happy to be a breast cancer survivor until after all the bra discussions. No, I really am actually glad to be a survivor! I had a double mastectomy in August 2013 with no reconstruction (no chemo or radiation either caught early and small). I haven't worn a bra since then and never will again!  Flat and fabulous to this day! Donated all my bras to a clothing bank and have never looked back! :)

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I never thought I would be happy to be a breast cancer survivor until after all the bra discussions. No, I really am actually glad to be a survivor! I had a double mastectomy in August 2013 with no reconstruction (no chemo or radiation either caught early and small). I haven't worn a bra since then and never will again!  Flat and fabulous to this day! Donated all my bras to a clothing bank and have never looked back! :)

Well, now I'll chime in.  I'm a fallopian tube cancer survivor (same disease as ovarian cancer) with BRCA positive genes.  So I had prophylactic mastectomies in 2013.  But I had small implants put in--I was always kind of flat chested--and they have a built in support strap thingy under the boobs.  I can actually contract muscles and lift the boobs up!  I still wear a bra though, as it looks better. 

September is ovarian cancer awareness month.  Be on the lookout for symptoms, as it's  another cancer that often reveals itself too late for early detection.  Bloating, weird bleeding, urinary symptoms. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, FedEx will drop it off at USPS, then Will tell me the package was delivered. About a week later, I may or may not get it.

I’m fed up with all these delivery services and it has gotten so much worse the past couple of years.

• Love 1

Today’s peeve (well, every day’s peeve, but it feels highlighted at this moment) is the deadly combination of arrogance and stupidity. Because based on the few people I must have neglected to hide on Facebook, that shit is really on display right now. Oof.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Today’s peeve (well, every day’s peeve, but it feels highlighted at this moment) is the deadly combination of arrogance and stupidity. Because based on the few people I must have neglected to hide on Facebook, that shit is really on display right now. Oof.

Hopefully I'm not one. 🙃
But, seriously: Maybe you did that "Snooze Stu Pidity for 30 Days" option instead of "Unfollow Stu Pidity" or Unfriend Stu?

• Love 1

Ok this is really petty but my pet peeve is people who spend hours on contouring makeup for outdoorsy activities like hiking, mountain biking, or beach.

I may or may not have waited endlessly for a friend to put on layers and layers of contouring makeup for a hike.

When I asked her why she needed all that makeup for like, an outdoors activity, she said "the selfies." Sigh.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I agree with the recommendations to get a colonoscopy and a mammogram.  Five women in my family have had breast cancer; all were detected early in a mammogram.  And the mother of a friend had colon cancer found in a colonoscopy 30 years ago and she's still here.  These tests are not pleasant but they can save your life.  Get screened! 

I know you've all been waiting for an update on my package delivery.  The "Track Package" app now tells me that my items are coming in two packages and one is still at the USPS sorting center just outside of Milwaukee, with no update on when I can expect it.  Of course that's the package that contains the majority of the items.  The other package is actually in the city where I live - huzzah!  But simmer down, don't get too excited, expect delivery in 2 to 3 days.  Apparently, the last 10 miles are the most difficult to traverse. 

My peeve of the day - some of the cloth masks I bought almost 18 months ago are getting a bit worn, the elastic a bit tired, and since our case numbers are shooting up AGAIN, I'm probably going to have to buy more of the damn things.  When will this end? 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I know you've all been waiting for an update on my package delivery. 

😆 Er, ah, I mean: Yes! Do tell.

21 minutes ago, Calvada said:

But simmer down, don't get too excited, expect delivery in 2 to 3 days.  Apparently, the last 10 miles are the most difficult to traverse. 

2-3 days to go 10 miles? Seems like there should be a pick-up option.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok back to Beyonce legs... if you pair it with a dress does it look THAT shiny? Honest answers only.

Screenshot_20210909-234445_Gallery.jpg

It looks like the stockings over skates that someone else posted!  'Cause you have no shoes on. 

Edited by GussieK
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Honestly, OK—judging from THIS photo alone, I bet most people would not notice the gleaming shine from calf to foot; if not for already knowing (and for the uni-toe), I don’t think I would unless I was very close to your leg!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok back to Beyonce legs... if you pair it with a dress does it look THAT shiny? Honest answers only.

Yes.  And really thick.

But the dress is cute.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Honestly, OK—judging from THIS photo alone, I bet most people would not notice the gleaming shine from calf to foot; if not for already knowing (and for the uni-toe), I don’t think I would unless I was very close to your leg!

Oh dear. The shine is way more noticeable in person. I am at a loss. Maybe I can wear them in the winter with a sweater dress and knee-length boots?

ETA: I'm still dying that I finally get a pair of tights that feels comfortable, and they are the thickest, shiniest, ugliest tights ever. Just my luck.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 8

I put my finger over your toe area, and when you don't see the uni-toe (now the official name), they really don't look that shiny.

Do they make a model called something other than Neon? Like maybe Incandescent?

I have a few pairs of tights meant to be warm in the winter--they have a sort of fleece lining that's very soft and non-scratchy. And they're not shiny at all on the outside. I don't get the connection between shiny/outside, soft/inside.

And P.S. You have good legs, so that's what people will be looking at, not your shiny tights.

Edited by Mondrianyone
Compliments always make things better.
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I put my finger over your toe area, and when you don't see the uni-toe (now the official name), they really don't look that shiny.

Do they make a model called something other than Neon? Like maybe Incandescent?

I have a few pairs of tights meant to be warm in the winter--they have a sort of fleece lining that's very soft and non-scratchy. And they're not shiny at all on the outside. I don't get the connection between shiny/outside, soft/inside.

And P.S. You have good legs, so that's what people will be looking at, not your shiny tights.

Ok the shiny thing is something I noticed a long time ago -- that matte tights were scratchier and glossy tights were more comfortable. The reason is because matte tights rely on more spandex to achieve that matte look, while shiny tights use more smooth nylon threads. I noticed that any tights that were comfortable had a slight gleam to them. I accepted that and from then on always bought tights that I noticed had a little bit of gleam to them. And this formula's never failed me.

These tights just take this glossy formula and put it on steroids. I'm trying to think of how it might look with shoes and no unitoe (totally stealing that one). And thanks about the legs.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Argh. 
Reading morning email. 
Up pops a car registration renewal notice for an 11-year-old car I sold back to the dealer in January in Illinois before moving to NY.
Skimming down the page I see:

• Please do not respond to this email....
  • If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. 

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

When dating does a man's height really matter?

Pretty sure that's almost exclusively an American thing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm 5'4" and my sister is 5'8". She gets annoyed by the difference in our feet, but I have to remind her that my size (5.5) may not serve her height very well! Meanwhile, I envy her lack of daily need for a step stool.

Also, WTF, genetics?! Come on now.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm 5'4" and my sister is 5'8". She gets annoyed by the difference in our feet, but I have to remind her that my size (5.5) may not serve her height very well!

Hah! She'd tip over! 

I'm 5'1" and had 5.5 feet before I had kids. My feet grew half a size with each of my 3 full-term pregnancies. You do the math.
I don't mind. Stability is good.
But there were some favorite shoes and boots I had to get rid of along the way.

2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My lack of self control. I ate an entire box of Mac & Cheese for lunch. It was delicious but I over-ate and need a nap.

Someone on my FB posted a meme about that it goes something like "according to my profile I'm a single person but according to the box of Kraft Dinner I just ate I'm a family of 4".  

Today's peeve: psychics.  Especially the one I saw (briefly I must add) when I was clicking the channels last night.  She calls herself "Long Island medium" and on last nights show she was focusing on 9/11 and bring messages from those who died to their loved ones.  I have no words for people who do this.  Well I do have words but my mother would wash my mouth out with soap if I used them!

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Someone on my FB posted a meme about that it goes something like "according to my profile I'm a single person but according to the box of Kraft Dinner I just ate I'm a family of 4".  

Today's peeve: psychics.  Especially the one I saw (briefly I must add) when I was clicking the channels last night.  She calls herself "Long Island medium" and on last nights show she was focusing on 9/11 and bring messages from those who died to their loved ones.  I have no words for people who do this.  Well I do have words but my mother would wash my mouth out with soap if I used them!

Uh oh. Don’t get me started. They’re con artists!  Horrible. But the Long Island Medium is not new. She had a show on TLC for several years!  On TWOP she used to get bashed big time. Some said her helmet hair was well designed to hide whatever microphone/earpiece she was wearing to receive info about the victims—er, subjects. Since then I think she’s just been on the private reading and performance circuit. She’s only resurfacing now to get a bite out the 9/11 anniversary action. Disgusting. 

PS. I feel the 9/11 vibe every day. My office is a block from the memorial. Always melancholy. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 3