Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, magicdog said:

Retirement shouldn't mean staying at home in front of the TV or computer all the time.

If it happens during a pandemic, it kinda does.

10 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

He swears to me that he’d find a PT job doing something that he enjoys(pouring craft beer at a brewery or leading tours at the state museum as a guide), so I hope he keeps his word on that.

He may mean to keep his word, but with all the people who are out of work due to covid, there may not be any PT jbs to be had.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Sot of related, I guess--I think that my boyfriend sometimes thinks that me working at home, which I have been doing since March, means I am not working! Obviously, I can fit in some little housework things during the day or take an hour to run out for errands or whatever, but sometimes I think he totally forgets that I am not "free" Monday through Friday!

I’ve been working from home full-time for about 5 years at my current job, and there came a point when I had to set some boundaries with family and friends. As you said, it’s easy to do some housework during the day such as loading or unloading the dishwasher, throwing a load of laundry in during a lunch break or whatever. Sometimes I can run an errand provided it’s not much more than an hour. But even though my schedule is flexible, if someone wants me to do something that’s going to take a couple of hours during the work day, then I will need to make up those 2 hours sometime during the week. If it’s 4 hours or more, then I need to use PTO or work those hours during the weekend. Not sure where the misperception came from that working from home is equivalent to being completely free for the work week, but people need to understand the reality.  

When my mother was terminally ill last year, I talked to my manager to explain there might be times I would have to leave a meeting early or spend some time during the work day to run into her room and deal with things, but that I would absolutely get the work done each week. Fortunately both my manager and his manager told me to do what I needed to do for my mother, whenever I needed to do it, and if I needed help with my workload, to let them know and they would adjust assignments as needed. I am very grateful for that support and the flexibility they gave me. But that kind of situation is different from a family member or friend assuming that just because you work from home, you can go run do their shopping for them or spend a couple of hours during the day looking up information online for them. 

• Love 8
On 11/12/2020 at 5:32 PM, auntlada said:

I vaguely remember reading when my son was small that kids can handle a lot more spices than people think they can if it's something they've always had or if it's something their mothers ate when they were pregnant/breastfeeding. I have no idea if that is true or not, but I definitely remember reading that children do not need to eat a completely bland diet.

My breastfed child was lactose intolerant.  Everyone (including her pediatrician) said her nasty symptoms weren't related to whatever I might be eating.   Despite everyone's "advice", I cut dairy from my diet and sure enough the thrush etc went away.  I continued to eat Indian food.  (By the age of around two, the intolerance was gone.  I'd eaten/drunk dairy throughout the pregnancy.)

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Generically speaking it is even scarier when people get sucked into "real world" divisive talks shows and other divisive "informative" television programming and other medium to a point where all of a sudden viewers aren't who they once were, and add in socially media and that completes the process. 

That's why it's called, "programming".  

26 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Now to some extent that may seem funny, and it is, but taken to the nth degree it is pretty scary how people can get so emotionally involved with characters (not real people). 

True!  I've heard of more than one instance in which [soap] actors were accosted on the street and admonished for the bad things they did in character!  I feel sorry for the people who are that lost.

7 hours ago, GaT said:

If it happens during a pandemic, it kinda does.

It depends on the state since some never shut down and continued to thrive while others didn't.  If working outside the home isn't an option, at least one could make money and keep busy working remotely rather than doing nothing.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Back when I lived at home, my mom got hooked on Y&R,   When my dad was home on one day holidays, he couldn't understand why my mom "watched that junk".   Once my dad retired, he would sit in the chair and read his newspaper while Y&R was playing in the background.   He slowly got sucked into it to the point where both of them started to watch it, and heaven forbid if any one so much as burped or farted when it was on.  No one could "interrupt them when they were watching their stories."

What's Y&R?

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Now to some extent that may seem funny, and it is, but taken to the nth degree it is pretty scary how people can get so emotionally involved with characters (not real people). 

See, this is why I can’t imagine how people go on reality shows, because viewers often become so emotionally invested in that junk. You can be edited to look like a complete monster and/or a total idiot. And I’ve seen/read where reality show veterans comment on public perception and how some of them get accosted in public by angry viewers for their onscreen antics. 
Remember socialite Olivia Palermo’s stint on MTV’s “The City”? I read an interview with her not too long ago talking about how she’d never do reality television again because she was deliberately cast as the “villain” of the show and she hated how her scenes were edited to make her look like such a bitch. 

• Love 2

My mother was a real loon when it came to her soap operas, talking about the characters as if they were what the actor was really like in real life, or talking about them as if the story lines were true.     However, her sister was worse.   She named her son after her favorite soap opera actor (his name off screen), and only got a part time job when she found one where she could take a little black and white TV, and watch her soap operas at work (it was working for their city, so work was minimal).     When my mother, and aunt would watch a particularly enthralling episode, they would call (this was pre-cell days, and before unlimited long distance) each other and talk for hours about the latest developments.  In- state calls were even more expensive than long distance then, so their calls were very expensive.  

Some people can't just enjoy, and watch every day, but lose touch with reality over shows.     One of the soap opera stars was on a local talk show years ago, and he said that (he was a villain) some woman whacked him in the head with her purse, after he had been in a very dramatic scene as a part of the show.   I still remember one of the first stalking cases I heard about was a woman on a soap opera who left NYC and acting after a stalker became fixated on her.   There was a case of an actor in 2017 that was being stalked by a fan, and the actor had to hire full time body guards for protection. 

I remember during the some 1970's political hearings that were televised live.    Thousands of people called the networks complaining about their soap operas being preempted.     

Dallas had fans like this too, a man at work always had obligations on the night the original show played, so another co-worker would tell him what happened, second-by-second.   It took longer to explain what happened on the episode, then the episode took to watch.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Wow...reading about how people got into soap operas way too much was sad.  I remember many years ago, when my sister had her first baby, she started watching soaps (this is way back): Secret Storm, Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, The Guiding Light, and Edge of Night.  I was not yet out of college, not working so I'd babysit or visit and we'd watch together. All these characters did was sit around a living room or kitchen, drink coffee, and talk about members of their families whose lives weren't quite perfect. And then...I got hooked!  I scheduled everything around "my soaps". Finally I started working and that was the end of my soap opera addiction. But I can't imagine getting so into it that I'd klonk "Roger" on the head if I saw him on the streets of Manhattan! 

• Love 4

My mother's soap was interrupted by the first moon landing.  The first!  Exciting, right?  Nope.  She called the TV station to complain that they'd interrupted her story and she'd miss what happened next!  She did come to her senses after that and cut way back on watching.

• LOL 7

Random pet-peeve: 

So I’m a member of a Facebook celebrity gossip group, and lately some of the newer members on there get super nasty if you dare say anything less than glowing about their favorite celebs.

Recently I had one cuckoo randomly post my own pic on there and make fun of my own appearance for daring to question the looks/merits of her own favorite female celebrity before I finally had to report her and get her banned from the group(to which I merely responded to her repeated attacks, “Welcome to my fan club, psycho.”). That was just creepy as Hell and oddly unsettling, which also makes me very grateful that this site is so well-moderated in comparison and that there’s zero tolerance for posters attacking other posters on here.

Anyways, it just irks me that some people are so militant about differing opinions and take it so damned personally to the point of reverting to name-calling/personal attacks if you dare question their own preferences, *especially* when it’s on a snarky celeb gossip website!
(Same goes for when you dare attempt to calmly discuss politics...which reminds me why I mostly stay away from Facebook otherwise.)

And if I happen to snark on a random celeb who annoys me, I CAN ASSURE YOU that I’m not “jealous” or “just a hater.” I can also assure you that if I were a millionaire celebrity, I wouldn’t give two shits about what random strangers were saying about me on random websites.
And I guess in comparison, if the rest of us are “losers with nothing going on in your lives” just because we’re not also overpaid/overrated celebrities, then I guess by that rationale 98% of the world’s population must be “losers” too.
And why is there always that person who chimes in with “who are YOU to comment on his/her looks?” As if being personally attractive or not has any actual bearing on the natural commentary upon a celebrity’s physical appearance; it doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive, folks!

I sometimes have to post this meme when the posters there get a little too butthurt to endure:

05B1B7C1-624F-4952-B009-3BCCF12E7A94.jpeg

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Random pet-peeve: 

So I’m a member of a Facebook celebrity gossip group, and lately some of the newer members on there get super nasty if you dare say anything less than glowing about their favorite celebs.
Like I’ve had to report several folks who were banned from the group for personally attacking other members there for merely stating their opinions.
Recently I had one cuckoo randomly post my own pic on there and make fun of my own appearance for daring to question the looks/merits of her own favorite female celebrity before I finally had to report her and get her banned from the group(to which I merely responded to her repeated attacks, “Welcome to my fan club, psycho.”). That was just creepy as Hell and oddly unsettling, which also makes me very grateful that this site is so well-moderated in comparison and that there’s zero tolerance for posters attacking other posters on here.

Anyways, it just irks me that some people are so militant about differing opinions and take it so damned personally if you dare question their own preferences, *especially* when it’s on a snarky celeb gossip website!
(Same goes for when you dare attempt to calmly discuss politics...which reminds me why I mostly stay away from Facebook otherwise.)

And if I happen to snark on a random celeb who annoys me, I CAN ASSURE YOU that I’m not “jealous” or a “just a hater.” I can also assure you that if I were a millionaire celebrity, I wouldn’t give two shits about what random strangers were saying about me on random websites.
And I guess in comparison, if the rest of us are “losers with nothing going on in your lives” just because we’re not also overpaid/overrated celebrities, then I guess by that rationale 98% of the world’s population must be “losers” too.
And why is there always that person who chimes in, “well who are YOU to comment his/her looks?” As though being personally attractive or not has any actual bearing on the natural commentary upon a celebrity’s physical appearance; it doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive, folks.

I sometimes have to post this meme when the posters there get a little too butthurt to endure:

05B1B7C1-624F-4952-B009-3BCCF12E7A94.jpeg

I like this one too.

calm down bro.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I no longer have my photo on Facebook. I put up a photo of my cat instead. But I know what you mean about fellow FB posters who will figuratively jump down your throat if you offer the slightest bit of criticism of the subject(s). A while ago,  I wondered why some cottages were so close to lakes that they barely had a front lawn. Several posters at this site, snarked about "lawns", that these places weren't "fancy enough to have lawns" & that they liked it that way. I no longer participate at that FB site. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I wasn't on Facebook before it was cool to not be on Facebook.

Funny! I love Facebook. But I'm an oddball I guess. I only have 14 "friends" (12 are relatives). Only these friends can see my posts & photos. The public only sees my name (two initials + last name) & my cat's photo. For me, it's a living photo album. Our daughter & family are in MN yet we've watched the daily antics of our grandson from a few days old up to today, age 10. It's a big deal for us as we only see them once or twice a year. I've had people want to friend me but I say (fib) "it's a family-only thing". This way I'm comfy posting photos,  comments, of course my jokes!  Politics are taboo (thank goodness for private groups so we can vent!) 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Funny! I love Facebook. But I'm an oddball I guess. I only have 14 "friends" (12 are relatives). Only these friends can see my posts & photos. The public only sees my name (two initials + last name) & my cat's photo. For me, it's a living photo album. Our daughter & family are in MN yet we've watched the daily antics of our grandson from a few days old up to today, age 10. It's a big deal for us as we only see them once or twice a year. I've had people want to friend me but I say (fib) "it's a family-only thing". This way I'm comfy posting photos,  comments, of course my jokes!  Politics are taboo (thank goodness for private groups so we can vent!) 

That’s a very smart and much wiser approach to the use of Facebook than for most of us, @annzeepark914! Facebook can be a very positive and healthy experience if you limit your use and keep it among a trusted few folks, for sure.

Wish I’d been smart enough to do just the same...I’ve made the mistake of allowing coworkers to find and friend me there(even though I don’t ever put my actual workplace on there), because I didn’t want the awkwardness of having to explain myself. Should’ve stuck to my guns because now I get to hear their reactions to my pics/posts there around the office, see which coworkers are being petty and excluding some of us from their own little social get-togethers(pre-Covid, of course!), see their occasionally baffling political views.

I just pop on Facebook maybe once a day anyway, just to really do a quick family/close friends check-in. Instagram seems to be far more my jam these days: pretty pics and funny stories are so much more immediate and less reactive there.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 2
On 11/9/2020 at 11:37 AM, peacheslatour said:

I hate all professional sports. The amount of money that goes into it is obscene.

I agree.  I hate that in high school and college, the athletes get praised above everyone else, it's like you're a fricking hero because you're basically playing a game.   Being good at a sport has become more important in a school environment than academic accomplishments or service to the community.  It's a ridiculous set of values. 

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I agree.  I hate that in high school and college, the athletes get praised above everyone else, it's like you're a fricking hero because you're basically playing a game.   Being good at a sport has become more important in a school environment than academic accomplishments or service to the community.  It's a ridiculous set of values. 

Mr. P914 believes all these college teams should be farm teams for the pros (like minor league in MLB). It really irks him that the athletes aren't really students, that they're taking up space that applicants, who just missed being accepted, could have used. He really detests the one & done rule.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Mr. P914 believes all these college teams should be farm teams for the pros (like minor league in MLB). It really irks him that the athletes aren't really students, that they're taking up space that applicants, who just missed being accepted, could have used. He really detests the one & done rule.

I have heard of even small communities that spend millions of dollars on high school football stadiums. Fucking high school!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Peeve of the day: Cryptic email to call someone after you've sent an important document and have ended work for the day. Is there a problem with the document? Why didn't you call me? You gave me no information and now I'm going to be fretting over this and won't be able to sleep.

Background: I'm having surgery Weds and sent in the FMLA/I'm taking more than a week of time off form sent to me by HR. The doctor's office filled it out and after trying to fax it 4 times to the fax number on the form, emailed it to me and I forwarded it to HR with a note asking if there was anything else I needed to do. I think you can say "you need to do X and Y" without violating HIPAA.

I'm already stressed out and won't be able to sleep tomorrow. They won't even need anesthesia to knock me out, I'll just fall asleep on the table.

12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

All indications are that this is exactly what they are, in addition to being revenue machines for the schools/tv networks/sports books.

Yes, but without any salaries for the "student" athletes, plus they have to attend classes.

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

People who post on TV forums and refer to the actors by their first name (eg: Chrissy on This is Us}.  First of all, who are you talking about?  Second, you don't know these people; they're not your friends.

Piling on a bit - people who refer to actors or shows by their initials.  Unless I know what it is already; then it's fine 🙂

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Piling on a bit - people who refer to actors or shows by their initials.  Unless I know what it is already; then it's fine 🙂

That drives me crazy.  Epecially on soap boards. Their casts are huge (especially if you take into consideration all former cast members), there's a bit of a turnover for some people, so I don't know all the names in the first place, and I can't look up with just initials. And some people have the same initials on the same show.  I'm fine with the initials after you have identified.  you don't need to type the entire name out multiple times in one post.  But, come on.  Do it the first time

• Love 4

Re Pioneer Woman upthread:  YES, YES and YES!!!  I was (and still am) a bit grossed out at what she makes.  Give me Ina any day! 

Pet Peeve:  I can't keep up with woke terminology anymore (I learned the terms "white FUNCTIONING privilege" and "white adjacent" recently).  I'm only 41.   

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

You mean they get to get an education.

Sadly, a lot of these "students" aren't at a university for an education. That's why a farm system would be more honest & fair. It'll never happen as these schools don't want to admit so many of their athletes aren't on campus to get an education.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I think it is more complicated than that.   I think athletics bring in a lot of money to some of the colleges.  If it didn't bring in the big bucks,

Personally I am a huge fan of women's college softball.  There probably isn't a lot of money in that, but it is sure as heck fun to watch.

That's real college sports. You know they're on campus to get an education...a whole different world. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But how do you separate the athletes who really are students (like my father was) from the ones who are in college just to play sports?  

Take a look at their financial statements?

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Brookside said:

People who post on TV forums and refer to the actors by their first name (eg: Chrissy on This is Us}.  First of all, who are you talking about?  Second, you don't know these people; they're not your friends.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

It drives me bonkers when people refer to characters by their name in a completely unrelated show. I didn't watch that other show, let's call the character by the name in the show were discussing.

I could write an essay on how fucked up college sports are. But all I'll say is look up how many college basketball players have said they go hungry because whatever scholarship they have doesn't include meals and they can't work because sports is their full time job. The NCAA is a terrible organization and I 100% support students trying to get the rights to license merchandise to bring in some revenue.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

If people go to college on an athletic scholarship and don't take advantage of the situation to increase their education level, they only have themselves to blame for not taking advantage of the opportunity. 

The way some of these programs are set-up makes it nearly impossible for the student-athletes to be successful in class. The NCAA is a terrible organization that puts profits that can be generated by students over their education. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

The way some of these programs are set-up makes it nearly impossible for the student-athletes to be successful in class. The NCAA is a terrible organization that puts profits that can be generated by students over their education. 

Amen.

• Love 2

With regard to student athletes, a lot depends on what division the school is in. The regional university where I work is division 3. Some of these kids get partial scholarships but most don't. They're recruited with the knowledge that they aren't likely to become professionals and the coaching staff is phenomenal about keeping them on track academically. They're some of our best students.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

We are trying to pick out paint colours, so that we can paint the living room and dining room before Thanksgiving, and the only ones we can agree on, are what we really don't like. Everything is either too bold, too pale, or too beige. Even one colour that we've both considered, ended up lavender being mashed up with beige: "beige with a punch of colour." He's going to end up choosing, and it will either be okay, or I'll be looking again next weekend, for something we can use before Christmas. 

I wish I could hire this woman that I follow on instagram. Her home is so cozy, but she has more windows that we do. I wish we could afford to add a few more - I've always wanted windows on each side of the fireplace. 

Edited by Anela
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Anela said:

We are trying to pick out paint colours, so that we can paint the living room and dining room before Thanksgiving, and the only ones we can agree on, are what we really don't like. Everything is either too bold, too pale, or too beige. Even one colour that we've both considered, ended up lavender being mashed up with beige: "beige with a punch of colour." He's going to end up choosing, and it will either be okay, or I'll be looking again next weekend, for something we can use before Christmas. 

I wish I could hire this woman that I follow on instagram. Her home is so cozy, but she has more windows that we do. I wish we could afford to add a few more - I've always wanted windows on each side of the fireplace. 

I have recently seen an advertisement for either a paint brand or a paint-selling store brand (I think it's the former) that has an app or something that enables you to download a photo of your room, and show different paint colors on the walls.  Maybe you could research something like that, and at least take some of the unknown out of the equation.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2