Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Here's  my pet peeve.  On this site, I keep seeing this ad, which freaks me out. 

There's another version of the same brand that's even creepier. I won't copy it here, I dont want to upset anyone. 

I know that the ads rely on my search history. I have not searched for this!

image.png.8b46fd3067bc019bf9b3644edbf17a12.png

I'm apparently alone in this - I am fascinated with these and would like to have one...

• Love 3

A pet peeve I’ve recently developed is what I would call “revenge culture,” as manifested online. I’ve been reading a lot of threads excerpted from Reddit, and am horrified at the tales of revenge for infidelity, other bad actions, and so forth. These are frequently posts by a male who discovers that his wife or girlfriend has had sex outside the relationship. Male feels completely justified in not only ending the relationship but also taking revenge on the SO. I have read posts in which the male brags about having planted hard drugs on both the wife and the affair partner, and tipping off the cops to have them arrested for possession, to a guy tricking his girlfriend into thinking the meal she had just consumed consisted of her horse. Now, I will readily concede that these original posts are total fabrication most of the time. But the responses are almost always totally supportive of these acts. And of course there’s a huge double standard. If a woman posts that she’s discovered her husband is unfaithful, a few people will tell her to end the marriage, but many will advise her to consider the impact on any children and suggest couples counseling. OTOH, if a male posts that he just discovered that when his wife was 15, she started flirting with another guy an hour before she officially broke up with her designated BF, then the responses are almost uniformly to divorce her because “once a cheater, always a cheater. “

IMO, the adult response to discovering one’s SO has cheated is to decide if it’s a dealbreaker and move on based on that decision. If you want to end the relationship, do it but without being a horrible person. Getting your former SO fired, sending explicit videos to their family, trying to get them arrested, etc., are things I would expect from a 15-year-old, not a so-called adult. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

Now, I will readily concede that these original posts are total fabrication most of the time.

I think a lot of them are made up because people jsut want to vent and pretend they did that stuff. In a way, that's kind of a healthy release of emotion.  Although you don't have to actually publicly post it.  

I saw a ridiculous one and I commented that it couldn't possibly be true and everybody was like, of course it's true, why would he make that up?  

It was kind of funny in it's over-the-top nature, so I just have to share it because I'm laughing about it. Long story short, this took place in France.  Someone parked pretty much permanently in this guy's parkign spot that was assigned to his apartment. So, after numerous notes on the car, he decided to have it towed. So far, so good.  But, instead of calling a regular tow company, he has a friend who tows cars, so he had him tow it to Spain.  So, he basically stole a car and transported it to another country, and nothing ever came of this?  I don't think so.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am sure a lot of people who live relatively mundane lives allow their imaginations to run wild when posting.   I do get concerned when people do support outrageous behavior, whether that behavior is real or imagined. 

Exactly. I can easily tell myself that the original horrific posts are only wishful posturing. But seeing the absolute vitriol spewed by others who are cheering on this kind of insane behavior makes me concerned about whether people are more accepting of horrible behavior than they used to be, or if that acceptance is just more apparent now because of social media. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

A pet peeve I’ve recently developed is what I would call “revenge culture,” as manifested online. I’ve been reading a lot of threads excerpted from Reddit, and am horrified at the tales of revenge for infidelity, other bad actions, and so forth.

Please, for the sake of your mental health, and to stop feeding these sick cultures, remove these from your feeds and try to find something healthier to read.

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I feel so tense right now, you guys. I feel that drinking is in order. My peeve? That my BF (aka, my bartender) is not hear to make it, haha! (I can do it, of course, but I just like when he does!)

This is why I stick to wine.  I don't have to make it, I just have to pour it!  And I'm quite good at pouring...

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I feel so tense right now, you guys. I feel that drinking is in order. My peeve? That my BF (aka, my bartender) is not hear to make it, haha! (I can do it, of course, but I just like when he does!)

We're observing national fuck the diet day in chit chat

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Exactly. I can easily tell myself that the original horrific posts are only wishful posturing. But seeing the absolute vitriol spewed by others who are cheering on this kind of insane behavior makes me concerned about whether people are more accepting of horrible behavior than they used to be, or if that acceptance is just more apparent now because of social media. 

It's disheartening to see so many ugly comments on YouTube or folks cheering on those who are ugly on Youtube. 

I personally believe eye for an eye, the whole world goes blind. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Manicures! I wish I could have instantly pretty nails. I find the process quite boring. 

You should check out nail strips. Lots of designs/colors & no dry time.

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Manicures! I wish I could have instantly pretty nails. I find the process quite boring. 

I've been using the little sticky wrap things! They're not bad! Especially for those of us who have to little mama's boy long-haired cats running around the place wanting many pets and loves!

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 4.21.35 PM.png

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 11/4/2020 at 10:52 PM, RealHousewife said:

I feel ya, @RealHousewife; I love the look and vibe of a manicure, but it’s such a boring ongoing procedure that I refuse to get one outside of special occasions(I much prefer pedicures). And I’m so clumsy with my nails that I usually knick them before I even leave the salon; like I’m lucky if I can make a manicure last over two days, and then once my nails start to peel I obsessively pick at and focus on them, hence the reason I don’t even want to consider gel nails(I’ve had friends ruin their nails with the constant gel procedures too).
I might have to try out those nail strips too, so thanks for the heads up, @GaT & @TattleTeeny!

That reminds me of my ongoing wish for the ability to glam myself up more...I’m okay with general daily makeup, but I sincerely wish I could get the hang of false eyelashes. I’ve tried and failed trying to fit them on soooo many times; they always either curl up or fall off at the ends. I can’t even seem to get the magnetic ones to work for me! I don’t wanna go for lash extensions because of the risks/expense either, so I usually have to pay a makeup artist to get my face extra glam for events. 

Ditto my hair; it’s naturally curly/long so I mostly just enjoy the wild look of it hanging free and messy/air-drying it, because styling products and heat is so horrible for one’s hair. But when it comes to styling it for events, I’m fairly hopeless overall. 

So you gals who can easily do your own makeup and hair? I admire you glam souls!

• Love 3
18 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I've been using the little sticky wrap things! They're not bad! Especially for those of us who have to little mama's boy long-haired cats running around the place wanting many pets and loves!

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 4.21.35 PM.png

I love the nail design and Jack Torrance figure!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

^ Thanks so much ladies! I've always been lazy about doing my own nails, but now that I'm home more often I need to give strips and other at-home stuff a try. 

5 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

I might have to try out those nail strips too, so thanks for the heads up, @GaT & @TattleTeeny!

Here's a recommendation for nail strips, I pretty much use these all the time. Lily & Fox. They're made of real nail polish (I only use strips made from real polish), they come in lots of patterns & colors, & they are definitely the cheapest (the price is always $2.99). All the Incoco brands (Incoco, Color Street, Coconut Nails) are good too, but they are more expensive.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I feel ya, @RealHousewife; I love the look and vibe of a manicure, but it’s such a boring ongoing procedure that I refuse to get one outside of special occasions(I much prefer pedicures). And I’m so clumsy with my nails that I usually knick them before I even leave the salon; like I’m lucky if I can make a manicure last over two days, and then once my nails start to peel I obsessively pick at and focus on them, hence the reason I don’t even want to consider gel nails(I’ve had friends ruin their nails with the constant gel procedures too).

That reminds me of my ongoing wish for the ability to glam myself up more...I’m okay with general daily makeup, but I sincerely wish I could get the hang of false eyelashes. I’ve tried and failed trying to fit them on soooo many times; they always either curl up or fall off at the ends. I can’t even seem to get the magnetic ones to work for me! I don’t wanna go for lash extensions because of the risks/expense either, so I usually have to pay a makeup artist to get my face extra glam for events. 

Ditto my hair; it’s naturally curly/long so I mostly just enjoy the wild look of it hanging free and messy/air-drying it, because styling products and heat is so horrible for one’s hair. But when it comes to styling it for events, I’m fairly hopeless overall. 

So you gals who can easily do your own makeup and hair? I admire you glam souls!

I think I am like almost 100% with you on all of this. Also, I just bought a lipstick the other day just because I wanted it. BUT FOR WHAT?! I should be focusing on my eyelashes during these uncertain times! Duh.

• LOL 6

We sound so much alike! I love pedicures too. Relaxing and my hands are free! I do recommend dip if you want polish that lasts and lasts. The process is still so boring and there's upkeep. I haven't bothered with it lately since I'm mostly at home, so I need to try the strips!

I'm also okay with makeup, not a pro but good enough that I can make myself like a totally different woman with it. lol False lashes are top of my list of skills to master. I don't get as much practice because unlike the rest of what I do, false lashes can get a little extra for my tastes on a daily basis. I feel like I know my face better than most makeup artists, so unless it's a highly skilled one, I look better doing my makeup myself much of the time, even if pros are better about things like getting makeup to last, contour, and false lashes.

I'm also a curly girl! I find straightening my hair so boring but do it anyway most of the time. I get curly compliments but find the flat ironed look more "clean" and flattering on me. 

I admire the Kim K's of the world! I try to convince myself that natural beauty is better anyway, but I wish I could get better at a lot of beauty tasks. As girly and makeup obsessed I am, I can't even do my own brows! 

16 minutes ago, GaT said:

Here's a recommendation for nail strips, I pretty much use these all the time. Lily & Fox. They're made of real nail polish (I only use strips made from real polish), they come in lots of patterns & colors, & they are definitely the cheapest (the price is always $2.99). All the Incoco brands (Incoco, Color Street, Coconut Nails) are good too, but they are more expensive.

Thanks so much! I wonder how many of us will realize there's so much stuff we can take care of ourselves during the pandemic and save money now that we're at home so much more. There's more time to cook, practice makeup, do your own nails, etc. 

Now back to the topic, another pet peeve is when I want to buy everything on a makeup tutorial I want to try but products are unavailable. 

• Love 1

One of the local radio stations started playing Christmas music today.  Not just a song here and there, but 24/7.  Today.  November freaking 7.  It's peevy enough when they start the Friday before Thanksgiving, but this is ridiculous!

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

One of the local radio stations started playing Christmas music today.  Not just a song here and there, but 24/7.  Today.  November freaking 7.  It's peevy enough when they start the Friday before Thanksgiving, but this is ridiculous!

We have one that started (I think) Nov. 1. That station does it every year. I'm not sure of the exact day because I don't drive a lot any more (I took up bicycling during work from home and now get to work that way) and because it's not a station I listen to a lot anyway. Now it's a station I actively avoid -- at least until after Thanksgiving.

• Love 2

I started listening to Christmas music in November 1!  

pet peeve:  people who speak louder when the other person is a language learner.  I was in the hospital for a routine MRI (I have a genetic condition which requires annual monitoring) and another lady there didn’t speak English.  Her daughter (well, I think the younger woman is the daughter) was there to interpret.  But when the tech was speaking to the older lady, she was very, very loud.

note: I admit I do this sometimes as well.  And I get frustrated, too - especially when I’m unsure if the other person understood me.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, PRgal said:

pet peeve:  people who speak louder when the other person is a language learner.  I was in the hospital for a routine MRI (I have a genetic condition which requires annual monitoring) and another lady there didn’t speak English.  Her daughter (well, I think the younger woman is the daughter) was there to interpret.  But when the tech was speaking to the older lady, she was very, very loud.

note: I admit I do this sometimes as well.  And I get frustrated, too - especially when I’m unsure if the other person understood me.  

I used to hear this a lot as a complaint about Americans (usually made by other Americans), but during various seasons of "The Amazing Race" I noticed that other nationalities do it also. It doesn't make it any less annoying, but it does make me feel better that it seems to be a (mostly) universal human reaction.

Having been in other countries where I couldn't speak the language well, I'd say slowing down is more important than speaking loudly. I often have trouble separating spoken words in languages I've learned only a little of. It's a fine line between slowing down enough to maybe be understood and sounding as though you are talking to a 3-year-old, though.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

In Virginia, at least, Taliaferro is pronounced as Tolliver.

Robert Heinlein gave an explanation of pronunciation vs spelling in one of his books. I think it was in The Cat Who Walks Through Walls.

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, auntlada said:

I used to hear this a lot as a complaint about Americans (usually made by other Americans), but during various seasons of "The Amazing Race" I noticed that other nationalities do it also. It doesn't make it any less annoying, but it does make me feel better that it seems to be a (mostly) universal human reaction.

Having been in other countries where I couldn't speak the language well, I'd say slowing down is more important than speaking loudly. I often have trouble separating spoken words in languages I've learned only a little of. It's a fine line between slowing down enough to maybe be understood and sounding as though you are talking to a 3-year-old, though.

I think sometimes, people just get anxious.  I've been told that I (often) shout when I speak Cantonese.  Probably I'm frustrated with finding the right words to use.  I speak it well enough to communicate, but I don't know the proper terms for, say, how to feed young children (e.g. baby led weaning) or nutrition (complete proteins vs incomplete).

It's probably related to how people seem to talk louder on video calls (and possibly phone calls). I never knew this until this year when my husband, my son and I all had work and school in the same room. My husband told me I yelled during Zoom meetings. I said, "So do you." Maybe we talk louder when we think people don't understand, without regard to whether or not that's because they can't hear us.

To bring this back to peeves, I get peeved with myself when I feel I am talking too loudly in virtual meetings, but I find it very difficult to stop. Also, I alternate between feeling like I can't get a word in because everyone tries to talk at once (it's hard to see nonverbal cues when everyone is online not in person) and feeling like I'm talking too much. It's a fine line, and I feel like I don't find it enough.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, auntlada said:

It's probably related to how people seem to talk louder on video calls (and possibly phone calls). I never knew this until this year when my husband, my son and I all had work and school in the same room. My husband told me I yelled during Zoom meetings. I said, "So do you." Maybe we talk louder when we think people don't understand, without regard to whether or not that's because they can't hear us.

To bring this back to peeves, I get peeved with myself when I feel I am talking too loudly in virtual meetings, but I find it very difficult to stop. Also, I alternate between feeling like I can't get a word in because everyone tries to talk at once (it's hard to see nonverbal cues when everyone is online not in person) and feeling like I'm talking too much. It's a fine line, and I feel like I don't find it enough.

I don't find that, but people I talk to usually have good mics.  Although I get really annoyed when people use their phones or tablets for video conferencing and don't turn them to landscape.  It looks...odd.  

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

... I wanted to adjust my cable service, but customer service was brutal.  I was getting so much bad information (from multiple people on the phone), and they were about to switch me over, but the replacement equipment never arrived.  Apparently what I was looking for is in high demand and they just don't have enough of it, so I told them not to change a thing until they can provide me with the necessary DVR cable boxes.  Once the change over was complete they wouldn't have allowed me to go back.

There is a cable branch not that far from me, but yet if I have a cable issue, I have to call their 800 number and end up talking to someone several states away from me.   The local cable branch won't even give me their local phone number.  The whole thing is ridiculously stupid.

I am also not too happy when some of the channels are cutting out on me.  It is a signal issue of course.  Still, it is incredibly frustrating.

As for SNL, I thought the original cast back in the 70s was awesome.  Everything since, not so much.  The shows themes just gets more and more predictable.

I used to have cable and switched to satellite about 4 or 5 years ago.  I won't go through all the hassles and frustrations I had with both. A few months ago I freed myself from all that stuff and have several streaming services that have everything I am interested in watch.  It's wonderful to be free of cable and satellite!  One of the things that made me hesitate was having to spend time finding something to watch - it's no problem when occasionally I browse what's available and add things to my watch list so there's always plenty pre-selected.  Also, with Hulu I have network and the cable channels I like to watch live.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Stupid fucking football game in OT is preempting SNL. This game needs to be moved to NBC Sports. I hate football and can't stand the obsession with it.

We sleep early and we tape SNL.  The game totally screwed up the system.  

On 11/7/2020 at 11:38 PM, theredhead77 said:

Stupid fucking football game in OT is preempting SNL. This game needs to be moved to NBC Sports. I hate football and can't stand the obsession with it.

I've been sick of frickin' football owning TV for decades. And when they mic'd the damn whistles...I went nuts. All weekend long this crap exists--college on Saturday, pro on Sunday.

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've been sick of frickin' football owning TV for decades. And when they mic'd the damn whistles...I went nuts. All weekend long this crap exists--college on Saturday, pro on Sunday.

I hate all professional sports. The amount of money that goes into it is obscene.

• Love 10
On 11/7/2020 at 5:35 AM, Browncoat said:

here as well too, this radio station is the one of the 3 i switch to off and a but now that they are playing Christmas Music , I am going to avoid it all costs

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My favorite time of year.

Ditto! I automatically add time to my recordings on Saturday and Sunday nights this time of year and rarely have a problem with anything cutting off. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I hate all professional sports. The amount of money that goes into it is obscene.

I don't get it either. I go see local theater sometimes. It makes me sad such talented actors don't make anything. Sometimes the crowd is tiny too. But athletes get massive crowds and people who spend loads on tickets. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I don't get it either. I go see local theater sometimes. It makes me sad such talented actors don't make anything. Sometimes the crowd is tiny too. But athletes get massive crowds and people who spend loads on tickets. 

Think about teachers. They are entrusted with our children's educations and basically their futures. They get paid jack.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Think about teachers. They are entrusted with our children's educations and basically their futures. They get paid jack.

I agree teachers are underpaid. Another pet peeve of mine would be folks who think they always deserve more and that others do not! I know a lady who charges an arm and a leg for a service she provides, but she doesn't believe teachers deserve more because according to her "it's a calling." 😣

• Love 3
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

In particular my third grade teacher was a real bitch who used to grab my jaw and make fun of me because I had a huge problem pronouncing words.  She did that in front of the entire class.   She was a bitter old woman.  

She did other horrible things as well.

Hmmm...I had one of those teachers in 5th grade. Today, she would be fired. If someone didn't answer fast enough, she'd say, "You're slower than molasses going uphill in the middle of January". She'd call some kids, "Poo poo steamboat". Nasty subhuman.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I do think part of a teacher's salary should be based on how effectively students are being taught. 

The problem with that is that the home environtment is crucial to students learning.  Teachers won't even be able to exist in some of the poorer areas as it's illegal to pay less than minimum wage and a lot of those students just don't get the support at home that fosters success.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
Just now, icemiser69 said:

The school environment is just as, if not more important.  Children cannot perform well in school if they are distracted by bullies and other environmental factors when they are supposed to be concentrating on their school work.

Teachers have a responsibility to keep their students safe at school.  If that weren't the case, teachers wouldn't be the ones leading children out of school during fire drills.

Well, sure, but it's still not fair to penalize teachers for students who don't want to learn.  And in the long run that ends up hurting the minority of kids in that school because it's only going to attract the worst of the worst teachers who can't get jobs at schools that pay better because the kids/parents care more.

2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

here have been children who have become successful adults that have come from home environments that were less than ideal.  I am not saying all, I am saying some.

Of course there have.  But, if we just look at things statistically, you're likely to do better if you're in a strong home environment, supportive parents, no food insecurities, not worrying about where you're going to sleep that night, not worried about drive by shootings in your neighborhood, etc, etc. None of which the teacher has any control over.

3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Regardless, given my history with teachers from K-12, I was not impressed with them at all, and the idea that those teachers should have been paid more than what they were paid, I find insulting.

I have no problem with teachers being paid according to their performance, just not tying it directly with results.  Cameras in the classrooms, visitors watching, student questionairres (although that also gets tricky), etc.  But, to directly tie them to test scores when they can't have any control over them after they leave the room is just wrong.  Would you pay dentists based on how many cavities their patients didn't get when they can't make them brush their teeth?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That entirely depends on the teacher.   I have had some teachers that were pretty horrible and had no control over their classrooms, and didn't give a damn that they had no control over their classrooms.  As far as I am concerned they were way overpaid, and probably shouldn't have been allowed to teach in the first place.  

In particular my third grade teacher was a real bitch who used to grab my jaw and make fun of me because I had a huge problem pronouncing words.  She did that in front of the entire class.   She was a bitter old woman.  

She did other horrible things as well.

Oh yeah, obviously bad or incompetent people are to be found in every profession. But teachers on the whole are heroes in my book.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I find it highly annoying when words are shortened.

Vegetables to veggies, to now veg.   I realize so many people have gotten lazy, but is it too much to ask to use multiple syllable words?   Is veg going to become v?  At what point do people say nothing and just pickup a vegetable and point at it?  👉🌽

Maybe they won't even pick up the vegetable because they think it is too heavy and just point at it. 👉

I picked up saying veg back in the seventies in England. As in "I need to pick up some veg for dinner this evening."

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Vegetables to veggies, to now veg.   I realize so many people have gotten lazy, but is it too much to ask to use multiple syllable words?   Is veg going to become v?  At what point do people say nothing and just pickup a vegetable and point at it?  👉🌽

Maybe they won't even pick up the vegetable because they think it is too heavy and just point at it. 👉

I can't stand abbreviations as well as shortened words. When my sister lived in NC, she'd refer to her county as JoCo (Johnston County). Here in the metro DC area, people call the Kennedy Center the KenCen. Makes me wanna grind my teeth!

Awww gee...after thinking about the chickens, I'm so sad. Better go hunt for some new jokes.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I think a lot of words are shortened because certain social media sites only allow so many spaces. In order to fit their thought in people use acronyms, abbreviations and emojis. An example of a site that limits characters would be Twitter. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Useful 2
10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

No, but I do think it is fair to penalize teachers who allow disruptive students to interfere with other students who want to learn but can't because those students are so focused on which disruptive students are going to kick their ass, knowing and being terrified that it is going to happen and even more terrified in not knowing when it is going to happen and not knowing which disruptive students are going to be involved in it.  Most importantly, teachers having no interest in stopping it from happening.

At my sister's school, if she sends a disruptive student to the principal's office, they send the kid right back.  Also, they are not allowed to give out detentions, and at another friend's school they are not allowed to give failing grades. So, I maintain that between kids not wanting to learn, and adminstrators actively preventing teachers from doing anything about disruptive students, no, it's not fair to penalize them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh yeah, obviously bad or incompetent people are to be found in every profession. But teachers on the whole are heroes in my book.

True. Someone recently complained to me about teachers wanting a never-ending vacation being at home. One of my teacher friends says she leaves it to people who know better as far as when to be in school and when to be teaching at home, but she finds it so much harder to teach students virtually. She is not lazy. She was even making a bunch of trips to the school to help other teachers with technical issues they were having. This wasn't part of her job. I don't think most people are saying let's pay teachers surgeon salaries, but they most of them deserve so much more than what they're paid. Hopefully some parents have a newfound respect for teachers after having to homeschool them. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

True. Someone recently complained to me about teachers wanting a never-ending vacation being at home. One of my teacher friend says she leaves it to people who know better as far as when to be in school and when to be teaching at home, but she finds it so much harder to teach students virtually. She is not lazy. She was even making a bunch of trips to the school to help other teachers with technical issues they were having. This wasn't part of her job. I don't think most people are saying let's pay teachers surgeon salaries, but they most of them deserve so much more than what they're paid. Hopefully some parents have a newfound respect for teachers after having to homeschool them. 

I wonder. I feel for young parents who really need two paychecks to pay the rent/mortgage to have young kids out of school. I know when my son was young I was so happy when he got old enough to go to school and I could work more hours. If I had to stay home to help with his schooling our lives would have been much, much harder. I hated sending him to daycare. There were some really good ones he went to over the years and one really bad one. Summers were even harder because he was in daycare all day long. 

• Love 5