Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

Nope, I literally don't call them anything. I just start talking.  And actually as a kid, I really tried not to talk to the parents at all.  I was very shy and grown ups were scary. And so were kids.  I hate people:)

Heh.  When you said to this day you avoid calling a friend's parents anything, I thought "That's right out of the introvert's handbook."  

image.thumb.png.a7adcde1a4e8bd8d9ef1ca0c86b86769.png

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Today my pet peeve is humidity.  It sucks.  I was outside, in the shade, for all of 10 minutes before it became utterly miserable.

I hate the humidity too. It’s 91 today where I live. I am putting my AC on as soon as I get home! I just kind of hate summer in general LOL especially because I’ve never had a pool or much access to one. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Uggh!  Trying to watch (or pause) credits on streaming services.  I swear every one has a different  secret key combination!  Use the button I normally use to pause?  That is probably going to default to playing the next episode.  Using left/right/up/down to move focus from the "start next episode" option?  Might work, might not.  Maybe I should use "back"?  That works on one, but on another it takes you back to the home screen.  And of course if you pick the wrong option, you can't just start the episode over where you left off, because they assume once you get to the credits, you're done.  I mean, I understand that people usually just want to get on to the next episode in the easiest way possible, but sometimes I want to see who played so-and-so or what that music was!

• Fire 1
  • Love 6

I hate heat, humidity, and mosquitoes, so I'm basically an indoor hermit from May through October here in Texas. One day I will move somewhere where it snows every winter and is just slightly warm in the summer. I'm still trying to figure out where that is.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I hate heat, humidity, and mosquitoes, so I'm basically an indoor hermit from May through October here in Texas. One day I will move somewhere where it snows every winter and is just slightly warm in the summer. I'm still trying to figure out where that is.

I like that plan. If you figure out where that place is, let me know :D. 

I hate heat and humidity, too. 85 degrees is about the highest my threshold goes. Anything beyond that, nope. Don't like it. Give me fall and winter weather any day. 

Fortunately, it's not too bad out where I am today. Low 80s, so it's warm, but not uncomfortably so, and it's sunny and just gorgeous weather in general. Better enjoy it while it lasts, though, 'cause most of this weekend is supposed to be rainy. But that's fine with me, honestly, 'cause I don't have any big plans. Good weekend to just stay in and relax. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I hate heat, humidity, and mosquitoes,

I'm fine with heat (well, within reason; I'm happy up to about 90 degrees, and can handle it up to about 100, but on 100+ days I won't step foot outside), but hate humidity, and, oh yes, mosquitoes.  I got devoured the other night on a friend's patio, and half about a dozen bites on each leg.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I dread coming back to the US after these past couple of weeks in Scotland.  I am going to wilt!

Oh, yeah... you're gonna melt. It was about 103° out by our deck this afternoon, here in the metro DC area 🥴.

• Sad 2
  • Love 2

It was 90 here today and I spent most of the day out in the sun with ice coffee and my Kindle at my side.  I love this weather so much!  I’ll save hibernation until the sheer hell (for me) that is winter in New England.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

For those of you who don't like the heat, I present to you the paeries up here in Canada. About 6 months of dry winter between -12 to -40 C. Guaranteed snow. Less volatile as the Atlantic coast.

Fairly dry summers between +18 and +30 up to +35C occasionally.

But, be careful what you wish for. We still have mosquitoes and ticks in the summer.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Northern New England. 87 degrees today and that is hot for us. Snow in winter. I can't imagine 100 degrees!

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, rcc said:

Northern New England. 87 degrees today and that is hot for us. Snow in winter. I can't imagine 100 degrees!

87° is definitely hot for New England. I grew up in the Mid-Hudson Valley of NY. Back then, summers were pleasant with just an occasional heat wave. We'd always leave out a sweater to wear on cool nights (when storing winter clothes for the summer). I still do this, but it's only to wear in the chilly sections of the supermarkets. Hurry up October 😩.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I love the heat. I love dry heat, but sadly I live in MD where we have humidity, which just SUCKS the energy out of me.

I took today and Tuesday off and plan on baking in the Sun and cooling off with swimming.

If I hadn’t fallen asleep around noon, I’d have gone today, but I had a restless night last night, plus headache.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
But is NOT the same as with!
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

Scotland, Iceland, Alaska…..

Edited by Browncoat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

The other day, I got notice that my car was fixed and I needed to pick it up before the service center closed in a couple of hours. Well, I called every taxi service in my home city I could think of- only to be told that NO cab would be available to be sent to my house thanks to ALL the vehicles being earmarked to transport folks to some entertainment event that I'd never heard of!  Hey, MY money is just as good as any entertainment fan's and I had a very limited time to pick up my car! Long-short is that my now-non-driving elderly mother took pity on me and phoned her OWN friend circle to find someone to give me a ride so I DID get one (which I was VERY grateful for and unsuccessfully attempted to compensate Mama's friend) but I'm so MAD at the taxis in my city  for failing me, I could spit. Oh, and I tried to join the New Millenium by seeing about Lyft but when application tried to insist on my sending them my credit card info? Bye.  This isn't the first time (nor the worst example) of taxis failing me . A few years ago, I was having a severe asthma attack that the inhalors had failed to stop so I called the taxis again only to be told that due to them prioritizing the transport of Saturday night drunks, I'd have to WAIT at least an hour. Take a guess as to who wound up driving themselves to the ER to be immediately checked in to have an overnight breathing treatment. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
(edited)

I suggest to take the bullet and go with Lyft or Uber. I pay with Paypal. It's not worth your life.

I broke down after repeated annoyances with cab drivers in my city. One wanted me to join his mosque (I'm a lapsed catholic), another kept arguing with me where my house was. Never even mind how dirty the cars often are.

Uber drivers have always been nice, the cars clean and they don't argue with me about where they think I live because they know how to use a nagivation system. And payment is easy, quick and if you want to tip, you do it afterwards, so you don't have to worry about them not helping you getting your suitcase out of the trunk if your tip is deemed too low. One almost drove off with my suitcase until I banged loudly on the trunk. And yes, I had to haul it out myself. I'm done with taxis in my city.

Edited by supposebly
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I tried to join the New Millenium by seeing about Lyft but when application tried to insist on my sending them my credit card info? Bye.

10 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I suggest to take the bullet and go with Lyft or Uber. I pay with Paypal. It's not worth your life.

@Blergh what is the concern with Lyft and your credit card? I've had my card stored with Lyft and Uber for years, and no issues. If there was an issue I could easily file a dispute with my CC company and they'll handle it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

@Blergh what is the concern with Lyft and your credit card? I've had my card stored with Lyft and Uber for years, and no issues. If there was an issue I could easily file a dispute with my CC company and they'll handle it.

I can't use apps because when my DH set up my phone, he neglected to tell my my password and then promptly forgot it.

• Sad 3
38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I can't use apps because when my DH set up my phone, he neglected to tell my my password and then promptly forgot it.

If you have an Android phone it would most likely be your google password. If you have an iPhone you can reset it through their password reset portal. Regardless, you should be able to reset your password to the app store.

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I just don't believe in putting my credit info on a cell to throw out into Cyberspace while not sure some hacker may be waiting for it between said cell and whatever company's website. If they had given the option of calling a phone number and having an operator take down the info, that would have been acceptable to me but just throwing out to the proverbial wind? Un-unh!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I just don't believe in putting my credit info on a cell to throw out into Cyberspace while not sure some hacker may be waiting for it between said cell and whatever company's website. If they had given the option of calling a phone number and having an operator take down the info, that would have been acceptable to me but just throwing out to the proverbial wind? Un-unh!

Are we sisters disconnected at birth??? 

19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don’t understand.  I’m never prompted for passwords when I open an app I already have on my phone.  I have an iPhone.  

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

I don’t understand.  I’m never prompted for passwords when I open an app I already have on my phone.  I have an iPhone.  

I think what Peaches meant was she can't get any new apps to use, without knowing the password.  But I could be misinterpreting.

23 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

If you have an Android phone it would most likely be your google password. If you have an iPhone you can reset it through their password reset portal. Regardless, you should be able to reset your password to the app store.

100% agree with this.  You may need to jump through some hoops but you really need to get access to your password when it's not a "crisis".  There is going to come a time when you need it.  For example, if it's an iPhone, you have to know your password to log out of your account (like, if you're switching to a new phone). 

And I'm editing this to include my related peeve... At some point in the last few years, Apple changed the rules to require 2-factor authentication just about every freakin' time I need to enter my Apple ID.  Like signing in to my account to check an order status, various other things.  And there's no way to revert back to not requiring it.  So basically if my phone breaks or gets lost and I need to access my account online, I don't have a device to receive the secret code. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Edited for more peeves.
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

That is significantly riskier than entering it into a secure app, or a secure website. That operator could have questionable motives, and write it down and use it to commit fraud later. You can create profiles for Uber and Lyft on a computer. If you shop online your credit card is already stored on secure websites.

All major credit card companies have fraud protection, so you're covered if it is stolen, just like you would be if someone got ahold of your physical card and used.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think what Peaches meant was she can't get any new apps to use, without knowing the password.  But I could be misinterpreting.

100% agree with this.  You may need to jump through some hoops but you really need to get access to your password when it's not a "crisis".  There is going to come a time when you need it.  For example, if it's an iPhone, you have to know your password to log out of your account (like, if you're switching to a new phone). 

Yes, this. @peacheslatour please make it a priority to reset your password. If you don't care about apps, you don't care about apps. But will need this password in the future.

Edited by theredhead77
edit to tag the correct person.
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

I am skilled at identifying avocados when they are the perfect ripeness. My inability to crack an egg without breaking the yolk, and managing to cook an egg with a perfect soft yolk if I happen to get lucky with the cracking is a major personal peeve. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Yes, this. @PEACHES please make it a priority to reset your password. If you don't care about apps, you don't care about apps. But will need this password in the future.

Thanks all. I really don't care about apps but I really should have either Uber or Lyft at the very least. I will reset my password.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

That is significantly riskier than entering it into a secure app, or a secure website. That operator could have questionable motives, and write it down and use it to commit fraud later.

Totally agree. I don't get the logic of thinking a live person, a complete stranger to you, is less of a security risk than a secure website. We hear stories all the time of workers at, say, a pizza place copying card numbers and then using them fraudulently. I think you have this backwards.

• Sad 1
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Totally agree. I don't get the logic of thinking a live person, a complete stranger to you, is less of a security risk than a secure website. We hear stories all the time of workers at, say, a pizza place copying card numbers and then using them fraudulently. I think you have this backwards.

My company has strict policies for handling CC info provided over the phone, including but not limited to not writing it down, and people do not follow it. I've seen hand-written CC numbers w/ CV codes and expiration dates on counters, on desks, in the paper tray on of the printer in the copy-room. 

4 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My company has strict policies for handling CC info provided over the phone, including but not limited to not writing it down, and people do not follow it. I've seen hand-written CC numbers w/ CV codes and expiration dates on counters, on desks, in the paper tray on of the printer in the copy-room. 

This cracks me up. Back in the day, I kept my customers credit card numbers on 3 x 5 cards in a box. I only kept their numbers if they requested me to keep them on file. I had Bill Gates's cc number. And remember those cc machines where you'd stick the card in and run a imprinter over it? At the end of the day we'd throw hundreds of carbons in the dumpster. Oh, those were the days.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

The last time I provided my credit card number over the phone to a hotel that had no other option, the card was used by someone not me. Since I check my balance obsessively every day, especially while traveling, I caught it quickly and informed my credit card company. I don't want to blame any one person but definetely, something went amiss. 

Most successful hacking happens because of human error. Nothing is completely safe but relying on a person not to mess up is the least safe.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 3

I have a love/hate relationship with the tap and go credit card readers.  They're terribly convenient, but I don't understand how they're secure.  Almost everywhere I was over the past two weeks used that tap payment method.  No IDs were checked, no signatures or PINs were needed, just tap the card and get a receipt.  Seems like anyone could just tap anyone else's card.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

That is significantly riskier than entering it into a secure app, or a secure website. That operator could have questionable motives, and write it down and use it to commit fraud later. You can create profiles for Uber and Lyft on a computer. If you shop online your credit card is already stored on secure websites.

All major credit card companies have fraud protection, so you're covered if it is stolen, just like you would be if someone got ahold of your physical card and used.

Yes, this. @peacheslatour please make it a priority to reset your password. If you don't care about apps, you don't care about apps. But will need this password in the future.

OK, I can get that ONCE the credit card folks have the info, they are supposed to protect it from fraud. However, I still don't see how sending said info through thin air (via cells,etc.) will keep hackers between my Point A to the company's Point B from catching it to use it for their ill-purposes!

And, yes, I know that giving someone else info over the phone can be risky but, at least, if I'd called them and believed that they represented a legit outfit instead of a scammer, the chances of my getting flak via having possibly wrongly assumed their honesty would be LESS than assuming the honesty of X numbers of anon hackers who I'd had made zero effort to vet or contact.

@Gramto6,

I wouldn't be surprised if we turned out to be cousins (but then almost everyone in the world is at least a 50th cousin to each other).

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to wade into this conversation, but my understanding is that if you set up a card with Uber or Amazon or whatever, it's saved on your (supposedly secure) account with that particular entity, not "on the phone".  Obviously you shouldn't be using public wifi when you actually enter the card number, or do your online banking, or anything sensitive like that.  And whether you give a number over the phone or have it stored on your account, I'm pretty sure the credit card protections are the same.

• Love 3
On 7/2/2022 at 2:36 AM, supposebly said:

But, be careful what you wish for. We still have mosquitoes and ticks in the summer.

I fucking hate ticks. Why are the smallest animals the worst? In my parts of Europe, we get them from like April to October, but now due to climate change they appear even outside of thet timerange. And they are often infected with lyme borreliosis (which you can't vaccinate against) or encephalitis (you can get vaccination, but it has to be renewed each year). Of course, I get too paranoid over it, so I don't go anywhere into nature and try to avoid any grass even in the city, like in parks, sidewalks, etc.

I also hate several types of insect, spiders and the like, even those that are not supposed to be dangerous, but ticks are at the top af my hatelist.

My life would be so much easier if many of those small parasites ceased to exist. Yes, yes, I get that the ecosystem would probably colapse, but still.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to wade into this conversation, but my understanding is that if you set up a card with Uber or Amazon or whatever, it's saved on your (supposedly secure) account with that particular entity, not "on the phone".  Obviously you shouldn't be using public wifi when you actually enter the card number, or do your online banking, or anything sensitive like that. 

I just pulled up my Uber account. All I see are the last 4 of the CC on file, which is the same thing I see when I look at my account on Amazon and Target through their respective apps and directly on their website.

And whether you give a number over the phone or have it stored on your account, I'm pretty sure the credit card protections are the same.

They are. Fraud protection is the same regardless of where the card was stored or how the info was stolen. 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Also, totally agree.  I always trust a secure website over an individual who could use my card number.  In fact, I still write checks when paying for things that would require writing my credit card information.  I don't want that floating around where an individual could get ahold of it.  And I avoid handing my card to anyone to run the card.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I don't imagine you'd be willing to share this. Right?  🤑

Lol. This was in the nineties, shortly after he married Melinda. He had me do flowers for her home office every week.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

However, I still don't see how sending said info through thin air (via cells,etc.) will keep hackers between my Point A to the company's Point B from catching it to use it for their ill-purposes!

Just don't use free wifi such as on airports or at Starbucks. Use your computer at home. Don't use your phone unless you are using the wifi at home. Assuming you have your router and home wi-fi secured. If you are really worried, you can use an VPN when sending that info. That makes traffic coming from you untraceable. The Opera browser has built-in free VPN. The chances someone is hacking your wifi at home are very very slim.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I fucking hate ticks. Why are the smallest animals the worst? In my parts of Europe, we get them from like April to October, but now due to climate change they appear even outside of thet timerange. And they are often infected with lyme borreliosis (which you can't vaccinate against) or encephalitis (you can get vaccination, but it has to be renewed each year). Of course, I get too paranoid over it, so I don't go anywhere into nature and try to avoid any grass even in the city, like in parks, sidewalks, etc.

I also hate several types of insect, spiders and the like, even those that are not supposed to be dangerous, but ticks are at the top af my hatelist.

My life would be so much easier if many of those small parasites ceased to exist. Yes, yes, I get that the ecosystem would probably colapse, but still.

OK...so why do some of these insects even exist? I have a problem with silver fish. They drop out of the exhaust fan in an upstairs bathroom & drive me crazy. We have pest control spraying 3 times a year which protects us from those crazy spider crickets & tiny ants. But the daggone silver fish?  They lie low for a while & then I see them crawling across the ceiling or hiding behind the toilet or in the tub. What is their purpose on Earth? My pest control guy & I are trying to figure this out.

• Sad 5