Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Please don’t anyone be self conscious about saying the word indeed. I was in a salty mood and worded my opinion too strongly. And, I stress the word opinion. The last thing I want to do is upset anyone here. It’s just a word that gets on my nerves sometimes. A man I dated for a short while used it, and he ended up being a real creep. The experience just put a bad taste in my mouth for that word. But, it’s just a word :)

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, SaySay24 said:

Please don’t anyone be self conscious about saying the word indeed. I was in a salty mood and worded my opinion too strongly. And, I stress the word opinion. The last thing I want to do is upset anyone here. It’s just a word that gets on my nerves sometimes. A man I dated for a short while used it, and he ended up being a real creep. The experience just put a bad taste in my mouth for that word. But, it’s just a word :)

Certain people using words and phrases definitely can affect how you feel about them.  I used to work with someone really annoying who would say "be that as it may" and now I just want to strangle anyone who says it.

• Love 6

Whereas any time I am in a bubble bath, my phone rings.

Also, no one comes and visit when my apartment is freshly cleaned.

The laws of my universe are very strange indeed.

I understand those laws.  I'm reminded of a meme I shared on Facebook the other day.  It said:  'Yesterday: Fixed hair and makeup. Saw no one.  Today: Looked like Jack Nicholson from 'The Shining'. Saw all the people I know.  All of them.'

Peeve:  Why do some co-workers send me an e-mail and immediately walk down to my office just so they can say 'I just sent you an e-mail. Did you get it/read it yet?'  Since my computer made that little 'ding dong' sound about 10 seconds ago, no I haven't read it yet.  I'm not known for ignoring e-mails.  I don't know why some people do that. 

• Love 6
On 9/17/2018 at 4:32 PM, NutMeg said:

They camouflage and hide in the bushes until you take a toilet break :)

That seems to be what my mailman does when I'm sent a registered letter or package.

How do your avocados and bananas treat you?

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, NutMeg said:

They camouflage and hide in the bushes until you take a toilet break :)

That seems to be what my mailman does when I'm sent a registered letter or package.

I have found that the day I run out to the store really quick, with my hair a mess, no makeup, in the old clothes I wear when I am cleaning -  I will run into an old boyfriend, an ex-boss, or a woman who was once my rival.  

But on the day my hair looks great, my makeup is perfect, and I'm in my best jeans and cute top -   I could run errands all day without running into anyone I know. 

• Love 7

Haha, all the people I know--past and present--know I have wild hair on even a good day. But on the rare instance I can wrangle it into an actually neat bun (and quickly, even), it's when I am at home about to wash my face and sit around on the couch!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

My friend texted me today to say she's being thrown out of the Woman's Club because she hates to go shopping for clothes or shoes

Unless shopping for clothes and shoes is the main activity and raison d'etre of the Woman's Club that seems a bit much.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

How do your avocados and bananas treat you?

Fairly well :) I buy avocados when they're green and wait a few days until the little stem part has dried. And I've leaned to buy just a couple of bananas at a time.

But bread keeps drying out on me faster than I can eat it :(

• Love 1
11 hours ago, forumfish said:

Peeve: why didn't the optical dept. at the VA phone my dad to tell him the frames he had picked out are no longer available? Or at least put a note in the box before shipping the glasses to him? He called and talked to someone at the local clinic and they had no explanation why he received wire-rimmed frames as opposed to the plastic tortoise-shell ones he had picked out. I drove him out there today (close to an hour each way due to traffic and construction), and he learned that the frames he wants are no longer available, so the staff made a last-minute substitution. At least the glasses look good on him, and the prescription is correct (unlike previous experiences).

That would make me insane.  My glasses are on my face at all times except sleeping and in the shower.  I want what I picked, or failing that, an opportunity to pick something else.  I vastly prefer plastic frames to metal, so yeah. No way. 

I haven't worn makeup since college and am almost 40.  I probably would benefit from foundation or something, but screw it.  I don't need to impress anyone.  I do; however, love shopping for clothes. 

My current peeve is somewhat work related but not really.  We have been back at school now for 9 days (off today), and I already have a damn cold.  You'd think after over 15 years, I wouldn't still get every germ under the sun.  You'd be wrong.  

• Love 4

FFS.

I am hosting a professional event in 16 days. Booked more than 3 months ago, sent out Save the Dates, then invitations, then followed up on delinquent RSVPs, worked with the presenters to develop materials.....

The venue cancelled on me yesterday.

So I scrambled to find a replacement on short notice, and will just to have to live with the additional cost.

The venue called today, they believe they may be able to "make it work." Am I still interested?

I hate people.

• Love 12

I hate when food stuff expires before I use it up.  I've been wanting a tuna fish sandwich for a week or two.  I finally got around to buying some tuna fish yesterday.  I went to get out the celery and mayo to make my tuna and notice my mayo's use by date is in April of 2016.  We don't use a lot of mayo in my house so that really shouldn't surprise me, but damn it!  I still want my tuna sandwich!  I buy the smallest bottle I can find too and still don't use it up.

I just checked and they make these things now.  Wonder what the expiration date is on something like this?

image.png

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I hate when food stuff expires before I use it up.  I've been wanting a tuna fish sandwich for a week or two.  I finally got around to buying some tuna fish yesterday.  I went to get out the celery and mayo to make my tuna and notice my mayo's use by date is in April of 2016.  We don't use a lot of mayo in my house so that really shouldn't surprise me, but damn it!  I still want my tuna sandwich!  I buy the smallest bottle I can find too and still don't use it up.

I just checked and they make these things now.  Wonder what the expiration date is on something like this?

image.png

Smell / taste it. I bet it's fine. I always have condiments long past their 'use by' date and as long as they've been stored properly they're fine.

I did toss some Dayquil that had a use by date of 2015. So even with the year "they say" medicine is still potent for I'm long past that date.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I'm brave, but not 2 years past the best by brave!

I'd rather whine and feel sorry for myself...woe is me!

I am so weird about food. I'd totally not even give that best by date a second glance or thought but I toss yogurt if it's a week past the best by date even though I'm certain it's fine.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Smell / taste it.

Exactly; those best by/sell by/expires date are not what determines whether something is or is not edible, and going by them, rather the smell, texture, and taste of the food itself, contributes to the tremendous amount of food wasted each year.

• Love 4
On 9/17/2018 at 2:10 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Sometimes Amazon has drivers take a picture of where they leave the package, and it comes in a "package has been delivered" e-mail.

I've never gotten a photo, but I do get emails for deliveries.  However, its not always correct.  The other day, at 7:02 p.m. I got an email saying a package had been delivered at 7:02 pm.  I opened the door, no package.  I wait 5 minutes, still no package.  about 15 minutes later, the package was finally there.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Fairly well :) I buy avocados when they're green and wait a few days until the little stem part has dried. And I've leaned to buy just a couple of bananas at a time.

But bread keeps drying out on me faster than I can eat it :(

Y'all will be amused to know that I ate only one of the three bananas I bought. The other two went bad (for my standards, but I'm guessing some of y'all brown-banana-eaters might like them) and I threw them out.

There is a fruit fly in the apartment because of course there is when I have bananas. Little Girl is trying her very hardest to catch it. She'll periodically stare at the air, then jump up on her hind legs and clap her front paws together. It's the cutest thing. The fly has evaded her so far.

6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I keep my in the refrigerator. It seems to keep it longer without drying out. 

I, too, keep my bread in the fridge. While I eat a lot of PB&Js, I as a single person still don't get through a loaf fast enough before unrefrigerated bread goes bad. I like the cold bread and keep my jelly in the fridge so it's nice and cold and not as runny. I used to eat natural peanut butter that has to be refrigerated, but I decided I can't stir peanut butter for 15 minutes every time I want a sandwich.

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Smell / taste it. I bet it's fine. I always have condiments long past their 'use by' date and as long as they've been stored properly they're fine.

I did toss some Dayquil that had a use by date of 2015. So even with the year "they say" medicine is still potent for I'm long past that date.

My mother insists expiration dates are a scam. I agree to an extent. Nothing has expiration dates on it 25-30 years ago, and we survived. People canned for decades and that food was fine for years and years. Two Thanksgivings ago, we finally made it through all of my grandmother's canned green beans that I'd bet were 10 years old or more, and we're all still here.

My mom and I have this "game" we play where we'll find something in the cabinet or pantry that is past its expiration date. We send the picture of it to the other with, "Here's this thing dated X. I'll let you know if I survive eating it!"

A former psychiatrist of mine said that medicine is good six months past its expiration date. With pills, if they smell vinegary, they are no longer good. You likely won't get sick; the medication is just no longer effective.

When I was growing up, we had a bottle of Benedryl (back when it was still under prescription) that we kept for probably 15 years. We also had a little bottle of Mercurochrome, aka "monkey blood". (I don't know, either.)

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I keep my in the refrigerator. It seems to keep it longer without drying out. 

I used to, too, but now I have great bakeries nearby, and so many kinds of bread, and it seems I'd lose some of the taste if I put it in the fridge. I should try though, it's not as if I have much to lose.

3 hours ago, Brookside said:

I slice and freeze what I think I won't eat when fresh.  Works great for toast, grilled cheese, etc.

But this, I do too! I ask the baker who slices the bread to give me an extra bag, so I freeze half and get it out the night before I need it, and it's like fresh bread. I guess I should freeze more than half from now on :)  

7 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Y'all will be amused to know that I ate only one of the three bananas I bought. The other two went bad (for my standards, but I'm guessing some of y'all brown-banana-eaters might like them) and I threw them out.

There is a fruit fly in the apartment because of course there is when I have bananas. Little Girl is trying her very hardest to catch it. She'll periodically stare at the air, then jump up on her hind legs and clap her front paws together. It's the cutest thing. The fly has evaded her so far.

I, too, keep my bread in the fridge. While I eat a lot of PB&Js, I as a single person still don't get through a loaf fast enough before unrefrigerated bread goes bad. I like the cold bread and keep my jelly in the fridge so it's nice and cold and not as runny. I used to eat natural peanut butter that has to be refrigerated, but I decided I can't stir peanut butter for 15 minutes every time I want a sandwich.

My mother insists expiration dates are a scam. I agree to an extent. Nothing has expiration dates on it 25-30 years ago, and we survived. People canned for decades and that food was fine for years and years. Two Thanksgivings ago, we finally made it through all of my grandmother's canned green beans that I'd bet were 10 years old or more, and we're all still here.

My mom and I have this "game" we play where we'll find something in the cabinet or pantry that is past its expiration date. We send the picture of it to the other with, "Here's this thing dated X. I'll let you know if I survive eating it!"

A former psychiatrist of mine said that medicine is good six months past its expiration date. With pills, if they smell vinegary, they are no longer good. You likely won't get sick; the medication is just no longer effective.

When I was growing up, we had a bottle of Benedryl (back when it was still under prescription) that we kept for probably 15 years. We also had a little bottle of Mercurochrome, aka "monkey blood". (I don't know, either.)

Gah, fruit flies! Now I remember why I stopped buying bananas for a while! Last invasion, couple of years ago, was just before I was going away for two weeks. I remember making "traps" based on something I had found online so that they didn't multiply while I was away. And it worked!!

Re. expiration dates, cans that are not dented are good way past the sell by date (but it's always good to check how the food looks and smells), dairy products (surprisingly, because I used to throw yoghurts away if past due date) are still good way later than indicated (again, to be checked with look, smell, and taste), spices never get bad but after a while lose their flavour, and medicine after expiring date don't harm you, but stop being effective (as Bilgistic wrote). Shampoo is apparently good for ever, I use tiny amounts only and keep them for years, so it's always nice when a heavy user of shampoo comes to visit. Conditioner too, but I have one, in a pot rather than a tube, where the smell is changing, so I guess it will soon be time to part ways (I'm postponing the moment because it's still doing an amazing job as helping detangle my mass of hair after wash).   

• Love 2

I don't eat a lot of bread, and the kind I buy has nothing in it other than (whole wheat) flour, yeast, salt, and oil, so it molds quickly at room temperature.  I have to keep it in the fridge, which I've come to terms with (as opposed to bread that has been frozen and defrosted, which I do not like), but I wish the bakery would make half loaves.  Their loaf is a little smaller than average, but it's still too much for me. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't eat a lot of bread, and the kind I buy has nothing in it other than (whole wheat) flour, yeast, salt, and oil, so it molds quickly at room temperature.  I have to keep it in the fridge, which I've come to terms with (as opposed to bread that has been frozen and defrosted, which I do not like), but I wish the bakery would make half loaves.  Their loaf is a little smaller than average, but it's still too much for me. 

I usually eat toasted bread, so freezing works for me - it lasts for a few months.  

Pet peeve: Some pre-schools want you to put your child's name on the waiting list before he/she is born while others tell you to contact them immediately after birth.   Ahhhh...the competition begins EVEN WHILE STILL IN UTERO!

• Love 3

Fucking Facebook! Not a drama thing but I found out that someone super important to my BFFs family died last week because Facebook didn't show me the posts! I'm kinda surprised my BFF didn't tell me but she's also been busy supporting her family through this. 

5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I am so weird about food. I'd totally not even give that best by date a second glance or thought but I toss yogurt if it's a week past the best by date even though I'm certain it's fine.

Oh, it is fine.  I eat yogurt weeks/months past the date, and I'm not insensitive to spoiled dairy (can't stand even slightly bad milk).  But isn't yogurt just a version of spoiled milk in the first place?  I don't know, and I'm talking about single-serve yogurts, but I have yet to get one that's bad, and I really push it.  Same with those little individual containers of cottage cheese.  Those get a little dried out but they taste fine waaaay past the expiration date.

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I don't think they're a scam because they're useful for rotating products on the grocery shelves.  But I agree that they're not particularly accurate, especially with canned foods. 

It grieves me that at a food pantry I was helping at, they'd throw away anything past the date, so the people getting the food wouldn't think they were getting crappy stuff.  Kind of like how Toys for Tots wants new presents for the kids, even if the used one is in really good shape.  I don't mind used stuff, but lots of people do, and I can see that going to a food pantry could be dehumanizing enough.

At a soup kitchen I help out at, someone would go to Safeway and get expired products and the soup kitchen gives them out to people.  That is, if I didn't get to the expensive greek yogurt first.  It stayed at room temperature for hours while in transit, and was technically past the expiration date, and I never had any ill effects from eating it.

6 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I have those individual mayonnaise packets, and they don't have expiration dates on them.  I keep them for years with no ill effects, in the refrigerator just because it's the most convenient place and I like the taste of cold mayonnaise.  The only time they've gotten sketchy is when they've been in the glove compartment for months in the heat of the summer--they'll separate into oil and whatever.  I don't eat it when it's like that because it's gross, but I don't think it's actually dangerous. 

And...why do I keep mayonnaise in the glove compartment?  I like to make my own fry sauce for french fries, and there are some places (like In-N-Out) that don't have mayonnaise so I always have some in the car, just in case.  I also prefer Hellman's/Best Foods, and if what they have at the restaurant is the Kraft kind, or some no-name version, sometimes I'd rather use my own, and fry sauce doesn't have to be cold.

Did you know mayonnaise doesn't have to be refrigerated in order to be safe to eat?  If you buy it in a squeeze bottle, it definitely doesn't need to be refrigerated; just don't let anything touch the hole where it comes out.  The danger comes from cross contamination, so if it's in a jar, as long as you don't stick a knife in there, spread it on some bread, and then stick the knife back in there, it's not unsafe for it to not be refrigerated.  Use a clean knife for every dip, and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

2 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Gah, fruit flies! Now I remember why I stopped buying bananas for a while! Last invasion, couple of years ago, was just before I was going away for two weeks. I remember making "traps" based on something I had found online so that they didn't multiply while I was away. And it worked!!

Cider vinegar with a few drops of dishwashing liquid mixed in, in a glass, with a home-made paper funnel covering it, pointed end down (and taped around the edges if you're like me and can't get it to be perfectly round).  They can get in but they can't get out and it is oh so satisfying to see those annoying bastards drowned in there.

I wish I'd majored in Home Economics.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Oh, it is fine.  I eat yogurt weeks/months past the date, and I'm not insensitive to spoiled dairy (can't stand even slightly bad milk).  But isn't yogurt just a version of spoiled milk in the first place?  I don't know, and I'm talking about single-serve yogurts, but I have yet to get one that's bad, and I really push it.  Same with those little individual containers of cottage cheese.  Those get a little dried out but they taste fine waaaay past the expiration date

I know it's fine. My relationship with yogurt and cottage cheese are weird. I hate wasting food so I rarely buy either. On the flip side I wouldn't have given a second thought to that mayo.

• Love 1

Day of peeves:
Bad sleep (there was snoring), followed by 1.5-hour-commute (for 30 miles!), followed by 12-hour workday (people kept adding copy [and new errors!] to work I was merely supposed to be checking edits on), followed by coming home to that same old computer issue that I just had fixed for the third time (and an hour or so on the phone) on Monday. Tomorrow will likely be the same.

Happy Peeve Day to all, I guess?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I'm not picky about expiration dates but I do pay attention to them on cake mixes & similar items that include leavening ingredients such as baking powder or baking soda.  Those do lose power over time, as I once learned when using a cornbread mix that was discovered in the back of a cupboard a few years after the date on the box.  If in doubt, mix it up close to the date & stick the batter in the freezer until you're ready to bake it.

• Love 4

Since these things were recently discussed in the thread I have a peeve that covers sayings and food....

I hate it when people use the saying "food for thought". It was happening a lot a while back but seems to have died down again. 

• Love 1

I wish the phrase "pop of color" would DIE. Someone in every single episode of every single home makeover/construction/renovation show uses it at least once. It's on people-makeover shows. It's said in hair stylists' videos. It's prattled off on shows that have the slightest bit of "creative" aspect to them--baking, crafting, exploring haunted caves. Please make it stop. If you have any talent whatsoever with design, you can think of a different word than "pop" to describe how color is displayed.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, EighteenTwelve said:

My left ear is blocked and won't unblock despite all my nifty scuba ear-equalizing techniques.  Yawning works best of all of them, in that my ear cracks when I do it, but now I can't stop yawning.

That happened to me a few weeks ago. Everyone here, and the Minute Clinic, said wax and Minute Clinic suggested a capful of peroxide and jostling my head. Tried everything suggested online too to no avail for a week. Turns out I had an ear infection. $65 later (+$10 to Teledoc) I was back to normal in 5 days.

I think there is a conspiracy. In NC hard liquor is only sold at an ABC Store. It’s been closed for 10 days. I’m tired of hearing complaints about folks not being able to get this or that. Beer and wine are plentiful in regular grocery stores. I keep saying that they are keeping the ABC place closed as there’s already been some fighting over gas and food. The last thing this devastated area needs are people drinking and driving (maybe trying to drive through flooded roads, lights are still out in areas and many routes have changed where roads have been washed away), the increase in DV calls that the responders would have to go to leaving people with dire emergencies in the lurch, and the general jerkiness some people get when fueled with booze. I predict they'll open once all of the other problems begin to go away. Mind you if it was open I’d be over there to get some cognac to have with my espresso at night. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Everyone here, and the Minute Clinic

So how is Minute Clinic pronounced?

My first inclination was MIN-it, like 60 seconds.  But there's also my-NOOT, as in small.  And since the wait can be more than a minute (sometimes much more), the location will always be small, so I'm going with my-NOOT clinic.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
because if you're spelling out pronunciations, it needs to be right

I have now been to a Target and a Walmart in the past week to look for Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner for my daughter - neither store had it.  I did not check online at Target because all stores always have it, but they did not - they even checked inventory for me and none there either.  So I check Walmart online before I head out today and they say they have it, but it is not on the shelf.  When I hunt someone down they are not showing it in their system, but they can order it.  I'm not even seeing shelf space for it at either store - I don't understand.

I've been familiar with this brand my whole life - it is like Tide, Cheerios, Q-Tips, ...it is going to be carried everywhere!  Why can't I find it this week?

24 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I have now been to a Target and a Walmart in the past week to look for Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner for my daughter - neither store had it.  I did not check online at Target because all stores always have it, but they did not - they even checked inventory for me and none there either.  So I check Walmart online before I head out today and they say they have it, but it is not on the shelf.  When I hunt someone down they are not showing it in their system, but they can order it.  I'm not even seeing shelf space for it at either store - I don't understand.

I've been familiar with this brand my whole life - it is like Tide, Cheerios, Q-Tips, ...it is going to be carried everywhere!  Why can't I find it this week?

That happened to me a few years ago, first with Excedrin Migraine and then with Thera-flu. IIRC, neither of them had been recalled or anything, but there was just a shortage because of some manufacturing problem. I don't see anything online about a widespread problem finding the Neutrogena product, so maybe it's just a temporary distribution problem in your area. I certainly understand how annoying and puzzling it can be. The other possibility is that your local stores have stopped carrying it. A couple of years ago my local grocery stores quit carrying Stouffer's corn souffle, and they told me that their chain had made the decision to quit carrying that particular product because they needed room for other products with higher turnover rates. I ended up making my own damn corn souffle for a while, but fortunately the stores near me now carry it again. I guess enough people bitched about it that they decided to restock it. If you still can't find it in a few days, talk to a manager at the store and see if they have decided to quit carrying it, which if there is no longer shelf space for it, may be the case. If so, then ordering it online may be your best option. 

• Love 1

Ah, the miniature version of the ever-popular (at least with dogs and cats) skyraisin.  My cats love to leap and pounce for them.  

Pet peeve for today:  Not being able to adjust the thermostat in my office.  I went out there to do some work, and I guess there's a problem with the chiller, because the whole building was chilly, but my office was like an ice cave.  I sent an e-mail reporting the problem, but no one will be around until tomorrow morning when the physical plant crew comes in.  Hopefully, they'll figure out the problem, but I'm glad I left a wool wrap from last winter hanging around the office so I'll have something to huddle under tomorrow morning. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

I don't know how you feel about Amazon, but it seems that they have it.  You can probably get it shipped pretty quickly.

And to further what @BookWoman56 said, I keep getting these Liberte yogurt coupons on my Safeway app ... and none of the stores around me carry it.  So frustrating. 

• Love 2

I just spilled half a glass of water in my bed. At least it's on one side. I soaked up at much as I could with towels and now have a fan going full blast at the huge spot. I'm a dumbass.

I used to be able to blame the turned-over water glasses on Bilgisticat.

• Love 2

OK,

I just returned from a cool vacation spot, I managed to have something happen that nets a Pet Peeve:

Teachers, if you happen to have a large class of preteen kids whom you are supposed to be in charge of while you all are on a field trip, PLEASE actually make some attempt to get them to use inside voices, manners,etc. instead of just turning them loose on tours, museums,etc. Yes, I was a kid once and I remember running around when I should have been quiet in places like this but I (and my classmates) would quiet down and be respectful of other patrons as soon as the teachers,guides, etc. would TELL us to. Alas, it happened that NO ONE tried to tell these kids that the unique venue I was trying to study, enjoy and learn about was a place for inside voices and NOT their personal amusement park with nonstop horseplay and teasing of each other. I have no idea if the teacher was somewhere else and just told them to have at it while the teacher could have them out of their own hair for umpteen minutes or whether the teacher had no idea they had all ventured to this spot but the teacher was nowhere in sight. Complete fail by the teacher and venue staff here!

P.S. I wonder if this wild herd of kids could have been related to some of the obnoxious so-called adult yahoos who thought nothing of yelling at the tops of their lungs arguing with each other  in the streets below my hotel room at 3 AM. Seriously, unless there's an emergency to life or limb, there's NO justification to yell so loudly in the streets that folks can hear you four flights up inside their room- especially at 3AM!

• Love 4

I find that in today's world, people attempt to be as loud and obnoxious as possible whenever they get an opportunity to do so. I live on a corner of a street. When the weather is breezy or cool, I open my windows. I cannot tell you how many people stop right in front of my window to have loud conversations or yell into their cell phones. My complex has no sidewalk so they either have to stand on the edge of my lawn or out in the street to carry on like that. Very few people are able to go out in public and not try to draw attention to themselves, it seems.

Peeve: People in drive-thrus that are so absorbed in their phones that they don't move the line ahead and leave large gaps between themselves and the car in front of them. Leaving 1 or 2 car lengths of distance between yourself and the driver ahead of you is now causing two people to wait longer to get their order in, and is causing the line behind you to pile up. I really wish that all phones were automatically disabled (minus emergency calls and GPS) once people entered vehicles. People can't handle having access to their phones and driving a car at the same time.

• Love 10

No, Apple.  I will not update to iOS 12 on your timetable.  I will update when I hear it's ready for prime time.  Until then your Install Now will be deleted.  99.9% of your new and improved features are meaningless to me anyway.  Yes.  I said it.  If it weren't for the money I spend for music on that early iPod, I would have quit you long ago.  But I'm cheap that way.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2

This is REALLY not meant to start a phone alliance war, but I was curious enough to look up the price of the new iPhone (the deluxe, extra-special, maximum-thrills edition). It's $1400!!! I paid that for my second (used) car in 1992. I drove that car for seven years! The non-special-edition phone is $1000. What!?

I have a Nexus (Google) phone that was $400ish, which I think is still pretty outrageous, especially considering that it's not even two years old yet and the battery life has gone to shit. The battery isn't replaceable (sealed phone housing) because of planned obsolescence. I hope to be able to get some credit toward a newer Google phone when the time comes.

• Love 4

Peeve.  Neighbors who allow their chickens and rooster to roam free! They just roam around from yard to yard all day.   Talk about free range chickens.....literally.  The chickens are not so bad, as they eat insects, I guess, but, the rooster is loud as hell.  I mean, who thinks that kind of thing is okay?  They let them out every day and God only knows what happens to them at night. I guess they go home to roost! lol  

• Love 2