Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by JTMacc99,

As was directed in the opening post of this topic, please do not use the Chit Chat topic to discuss any and all health and wellness issues. There is an entire sub-forum for those discussions. 

• Start Topic

A brand new place to share your general thoughts!

As a reminder, there is an entire sub-forum to discuss your health and wellness topics. Please do not use Chit-Chat for those discussions.

It is perfectly okay to talk about things going on in your life here that might also have more specific topics in the Everything Else forum.  

However if you are hoping to start an in depth conversation about something, you might find it to be more helpful to take it to the dedicated topic. 

If we, the Everything Else moderators @JTMacc99 and @festivus, think a discussion would be better served in a specific topic, we'll let you know!

verklempt saturday night live GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
34 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Our snow is actually melting! I see grass,  sad, and brown and beaten up but still grass.  I guess spring is finally here.  Fingers crossed!

We're going right to 70 degrees here today. Most of the bulb flowers are all excited now and we should be seeing lots and lots of colors very soon. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Here is a field of yellow to cheer y’all up. It’s down at our other farm 30 miles away. We took four calves down Sunday that I have been bottle feeding since birth and while we have a farm manager on the day to day I made the hubster go down to check on them. They are different sizes and the four of them were together a little away from the others being lazy and napping. My heart is full.

DAE6E76C-FCF7-45FB-9FE1-7DAF09D871CA.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Most of the bulb flowers are all excited now and we should be seeing lots and lots of colors very soon. 

I follow the National Trust (UK for those who may not know about this organization) and they torment and delight me from  February onwards with pictures of the flowers, flowering trees and shrubs etc that are harbingers of spring.  Our colours of spring tends to be brown, greenish brown, and muddy brown until mid April.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

A brand new place to share your general thoughts!

As a reminder, there is an entire sub-forum to discuss your health and wellness topics. Please do not use Chit-Chat for those discussions.

It is perfectly okay to talk about things going on in your life here that might also have more specific topics in the Everything Else forum.  

However if you are hoping to start an in depth conversation about something, you might find it to be more helpful to take it to the dedicated topic. 

If we, the Everything Else moderators @JTMacc99 and @festivus, think a discussion would be better served in a specific topic, we'll let you know!

verklempt saturday night live GIF

Did the old Chit Chat topic get hidden/locked/moved somewhere?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Did the old Chit Chat topic get hidden/locked/moved somewhere?

Unfortunately somebody (who looks a lot like me) pulled a bonehead move that will make it impossible to leave the old topic up as Locked/Read-Only. 

JTMacc99 trying to use technology: sad oh no GIF by NASCAR

• Useful 2
  • LOL 17
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Unfortunately somebody (who looks a lot like me) pulled a bonehead move that will make it impossible to leave the old topic up as Locked/Read-Only. 

JTMacc99 trying to use technology: sad oh no GIF by NASCAR

But nothing is ever really gone on the internet, right? (Or does that just apply to stupid stuff I post?)  Maybe there's a rocket scientist in the tech department who can recover it?  I guess it doesn't make that big a difference, but there were some very recent conversations there.  (Same deal for the general health thread.)  If not, oh well.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

But nothing is ever really gone on the internet, right? (Or does that just apply to stupid stuff I post?)  Maybe there's a rocket scientist in the tech department who can recover it?  I guess it doesn't make that big a difference, but there were some very recent conversations there.  (Same deal for the general health thread.)  If not, oh well.

Imagine that I poured a pound of salt into a pound of sugar, and now I need to undo it. 

It was not my finest moment. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 5
  • LOL 6
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Imagine that I poured a pound of salt into a pound of sugar, and now I need to undo it. 

It was not my finest moment. 

We all have those moments at some point. Maybe not as publicly as yours, but still. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Does anyone else go on news sites and as you are scrolling down the headlines start to move down searching for the emoticons so you can give a story a thumbs up?  Just me?

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
(edited)

We've been having freezing rain all morning, it's getting worse, not better, and now we have thunder as well.  My lights are flickering so that's great.  It's definitely weird to me to hear thunder when there is snow on the ground!  ETA: and now just noticed the lightning.  Well this day is just peachy.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Hugs 4
57 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

We've been having freezing rain all morning, it's getting worse, not better, and now we have thunder as well.  My lights are flickering so that's great.  It's definitely weird to me to hear thunder when there is snow on the ground!  ETA: and now just noticed the lightning.  Well this day is just peachy.

No freezing rain here.  Just rain/thunderstorms.  It's going to be like this pretty much all day.  

• Like 1

What's on my mind today?  Chometz.  (The stuff you can't eat during Passover.)  For some (including me), that involves a lot of cleaning, shopping, and cooking.  Passover is my favourite holiday, but is can be very time consuming.

Chag Sameach/happy Easter/happy Spring break/happy whatever excuse you can find for a little joy in your life.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

Thundersnow!  I've only heard that once -- it's pretty cool.  We are currently about 80 degrees and partly cloudy.  I think it's meant to rain later, and then get cooler this weekend (60s for highs).

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Thundersnow!  I've only heard that once -- it's pretty cool.  We are currently about 80 degrees and partly cloudy.  I think it's meant to rain later, and then get cooler this weekend (60s for highs).

We had thunder snow in 2002 or 3. It was really unusual.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We had thunder snow in 2002 or 3. It was really unusual.

We had that last week-ish.

Kiddo was waitlisted at a school I really wanted him to attend.  I'm okay.  He probably doesn't care.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

When I lived in Raleigh, I was told that, in winter, if one hears thunder, we'll have snow within 10 days. I can't remember if that ever happened while I was there. I think that's a southern thing as it certainly never happened (or was mentioned) in New York State when I was growing up.

• Like 1

It was in the low 30s here today, and very windy. Felt more like October than March. 

But by this weekend we'll be up into the 60s, and early next week we could get near 80 for highs (which I'm not thrilled about - it's a little early for that kind of warm weather, I don't need it to be in the upper 70s to about 80 just yet). 

And last Friday, when the middle of the country was getting pounded with that horrific outbreak of severe weather, up here in my part of Iowa we were under a tornado watch for much of the day, and then later that night we were under a winter weather advisory. And last night we had a severe thunderstorm warning, despite it being in the mid 40s at the time. 

Iowa in the spring is wild :p. 

• Like 5

I remember Peggy Mann. I still miss the newscaster Miriam Thomas from that station.

Our weather is scattered since Jan. 92 yesterday. 80’s today, cold front tonight, 60’s tmrw, low 50’s rain the weekend. High 70’s next week. 
Weather is going to weather, no controlling it.

• Like 6
(edited)
14 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Mine brought me bagels today. 😍

Tuesday was my birthday and I wanted Taco Time for dinner. He went there and they were closed due to staffing issues.  He called and I told him to just hit McDonalds since we haven't eaten there in decades. He called me from work yesterday to tell me he found out that Taco Time closes at 4:00 now and he is going up there today and pick up dinner before he goes down to close the shop tonight. Such a sweetie!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Tuesday was my birthday and I wanted Taco Time for dinner. He went there and they were closed due to staffing issues.  He called and I told him to just hit McDonalds since we haven't eaten there in decades. He called me from work yesterday to tell me he found out that Taco Time closes at 4:00 now and he is going up there today and pick up dinner before he goes down to close the shop tonight. Such a sweetie!

Aw .. food is love.  We’ve been hankering for Taco Bell here for a few weeks now, so we get it like every week.  I put “Tiger Sauce” on mine.  A little of a zip.  I’m so tired of deciding what to make everyday.  Happy belated Birthday!🌸

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Aw .. food is love.  We’ve been hankering for Taco Bell here for a few weeks now, so we get it like every week.  I put “Tiger Sauce” on mine.  A little of a zip.  I’m so tired of deciding what to make everyday.  Happy belated Birthday!🌸

I am too. I wake up every day wondering what I'm going to make for dinner. I'm a pretty good cook but I get sick of the stuff I make sometimes and I just want someone else to make it once in a while.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
(edited)
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm a pretty good cook but I get sick of the stuff I make sometimes and I just want someone else to make it once in a while.

This was me during the worst of the pandemic.  I got so sick and tired of planning meals and cooking them and it started to feel like I was making the same things over and over again.  Now we enjoy eating out occasionally (still being pretty cautious) but it's definitely a pleasure to have someone else make my dinner now and then! 

I am a dream customer - you would have to screw up really bad before I'd find fault.  You're cooking it, serving it and cleaning up afterward?  Sounds good to me!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
59 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I am too. I wake up every day wondering what I'm going to make for dinner. I'm a pretty good cook but I get sick of the stuff I make sometimes and I just want someone else to make it once in a while.

Same here.  Lots of cooking my whole life.  He’s not fussy.  He’ll go out and get whatever I want.  Panera’s French onion soup, Arby’s, whatever.  He loves a good sandwich, like Jersey Mikes, Italian.  No kids in the house anymore, so we’re easy.  We eat in the living room while watching tv.  I do miss making a nice holiday table tho, but now my kids took over the big holiday cooking.  I don’t have the room for the whole gang and no more stamina to pull it off anymore.  It’s very tiring at this point of my life.

• Like 4

What am I going to do with my beautiful holiday dishes and tablecloths?  We eat off Corelle or paper plates now.  My kids have their own and don’t want them.  I loved making Christmas Eve with a beautiful table setting and candles.  Plus Thanksgiving and Easter.  Had lots of company and relatives always over.  Husband used to invite his single friends for dinner all the time.  Where did the time go?  I’m really missing all that, but not the work.  Time flies.

• Hugs 4
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

After thirty ish years of making dinner and sitting down together as a family (which, don’t get me wrong, was great)  I didn’t realize what a relief it would be when the kids moved out and the spouse ended up on a medical meal plan which was pretty much the opposite of everything I eat, and we can each plan and make our own meals and enjoy them in front of Jeopardy!  So I can spend a week eating down the pantry or get something I’m craving. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

What am I going to do with my beautiful holiday dishes and tablecloths?  We eat off Corelle or paper plates now.  My kids have their own and don’t want them.  I loved making Christmas Eve with a beautiful table setting and candles.  Plus Thanksgiving and Easter.  Had lots of company and relatives always over.  Husband used to invite his single friends for dinner all the time.  Where did the time go?  I’m really missing all that, but not the work.  Time flies.

I'm in the same boat. I have my Haviland and my mother's sterling. I never use either one any more. Cloth napkins and tablecloths are a thing of the past too.

• Hugs 2
Just now, peacheslatour said:

I'm in the same boat. I have my Haviland and my mother's sterling. I never use either one any more. Cloth napkins and tablecloths are a thing of the past too.

I used to use my tablecloths and cloth napkins whenever we had company.  Now, I admit it, they get the paper napkins we buy at IKEA and swanky around here are the "good" place mats.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I use cloth napkins because I prefer to wash rather than throw away.  But a tablecloth only comes out for dinner parties.  Which is the only time I use my dining room.  I have a small table in the breakfast nook of my kitchen, but I most often eat on a TV tray or at my desk.

• Like 4

I have china which I never use.  My dad inherited it from a relative who didn't have children.  My mom, who outlived my dad by a decade, decided it should go to me.  I absolutely did NOT want this china, but my mom was so happy about the fact I would get the china after she died that I could not tell her I didn't want it.  She told me she decided I should get it since I never married and thus never got china as wedding presents.  She felt that I was deprived - ha!  If I had wanted china, I would have bought it for myself.  I have no idea what is going to happen to it; none of my nieces or nephews will want it when I'm dead.  

I have a friend whose in-laws were both only children and her husband was their only child.  My friend and her husband ended up inheriting 3 sets of china - his mother's, his maternal grandmother's, and his paternal grandmother's.  Plus she has her own china, since her mother-in-law believed all woman must have a full set of china and gave them 6 place settings for their wedding, and then an additional 6 place settings, plus platters, serving bowls, etc. as Christmas presents for the first few years of their marriage.  My friend and her husband have 3 children, but none of them want any of this china and have not been reluctant to say so.  What do you do with 4 complete sets of china??

Bastet, like you, I always use cloth napkins.  And I have a good collection of those.  That's a reasonably priced way to spruce up my table.

• Like 2

Hello from India! I promised myself I’d save all my posts for when I returned, but I just had to share this. Done by a 15-year of high school student. She looked at the picture of the art I wanted just for 10 seconds, and then proceeded to apply it without having to look back:

15A453BD-7CFB-4DFA-8595-BC55E4F0192A.jpeg

101DFCAF-DB18-4BCB-8527-958C026CBCE0.jpeg

E729FF20-A3C5-463C-8533-688D6BE7ECCB.jpeg

FE0FEDF0-D236-4B98-A9B5-EC8B09A586FB.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 15

Before we moved here most of our crystal, china, and silver was given away. We bought Corelle when we arrived (which is annoying me now because the pattern is wearing off). I still own one linen tablecloth and napkins, I don’t expect ever to use the tablecloth again and probably not the napkins either although they’re much easier to iron.  I remember being told when my late mother in law gave me the tablecloth that it was a curse because trying to get that thing ironed is incredibly difficult and I could probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve used it. 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Before we moved here most of our crystal, china, and silver was given away. We bought Corelle when we arrived (which is annoying me now because the pattern is wearing off). I still own one linen tablecloth and napkins, I don’t expect ever to use the tablecloth again and probably not the napkins either although they’re much easier to iron.  I remember being told when my late mother in law gave me the tablecloth that it was a curse because trying to get that thing ironed is incredibly difficult and I could probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve used it. 

My Mother embroidered a dining room sized linen tablecloth for me to match my China.  It had all flowers on it and is gorgeous.  I had to put plastic over it when I used it.  It’s now in my closet.  My girls don’t want it.  I’ll bet those antique places have loads of stuff that nobody wants anymore because it’s old fashioned.  In time, I believe things will come back.

• Like 5

I inherited my mother's Bing & Grondahl plates. She never displayed them (she preferred her Royal Copenhagen plates) so I didn't feel any guilt selling them to Replacements (in Greensboro, NC). Now I'd like to sell our dinnerware there but my husband isn't ready to use good ol' white Ironstone dinnerware for company (a rare occasion these days!) We watch Deadline: White House, local news & CNN while eating dinner out of pasta bowls. 

• Like 4

I have a set of Corelle that I use all the time.  My "good" dishes are depression glass.  I use the salad plates from that set all the time as Corelle doesn't have a good equivalent.  I'll also use the large bowls from the depression glass set if I need "fancy" dishes for a potluck or something.

• Like 4