Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Geekygal16 said:

I forgot to mention that I loved Will for blasting Whit the way he did.  She gained 4 pounds in a month while she's supposedly dancing and working out.  Stop lying!  It seems that people are finally getting tired of her.  How long did she think she could keep being 380 pounds and not have people question that something is not right?

She obviously doesn't think fans can do math because 4 lbs a month will get you to 50lbs a year.  Obviously, at that clip, nothing will fit her by the end of the year.  She knows this, we know this.  Dancing at 50% for 50 minutes a week will not stave off the excess weight.  

She ain't ready but all I'm asking is that she drops the fake premise that she's doing all she can.  Because gaining roughly 50lbs a year says more about your effort than the words coming out of your mouth.

• Love 10

Whitney, at 32, 380 lb and working out once a week for 45 minutes (with breaks), thinks she can eat whatever she want and not gain weight. The ONLY person I have ever personally known (because I do not personally know Michael friggin' Phelps) who could legit eat whatever they wanted and still lose weight is my husband when he was training for his second Ironman. He was exercising about 40 hours a week (twice a day during the week and 10+ hours straight on the weekends) and he was a lean man in his late 20s. Whitney just has no connection with reality. She acts like PCOS is the only thing standing in her way, but there's even more! Women's metabolism slows down at age 18 on average (hence, perhaps, her massive weight gain at that age), and continues to slow after 30. Plus the fatter we get, the slower our metabolism gets, because muscle fuels metabolism. Fortunately for most of us past 30, we have gained the maturity to know that we must delay or subdue our need for gratification, so "dieting" becomes a bit easier psychologically. I suspect Whitney's brain stalled when her weight shot up and she is stuck at that snotty 18-year-old mentality.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, DoctorWhovian said:

I can't judge her because I'm too busy being horrified at this guy kissing. Worse than Josh Duggar at his wedding. Pro tip: don't record your first kiss.

Geez guys, you should have posted a warning before the kissing video.  Almost lost my breakfast on that one. When I saw First Kiss, the Duggars were the first thing that came to mind. 

• Love 1

I think we see the perfect environment for Whitney in that radio video.  Her loud, crass personality is perfect for that type of radio show.  But I'm wondering, what happens to those radio personalities when they age out of that nonsense?  She might have a few good years left.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Whitney, at 32, 380 lb and working out once a week for 45 minutes (with breaks), thinks she can eat whatever she want and not gain weight. The ONLY person I have ever personally known (because I do not personally know Michael friggin' Phelps) who could legit eat whatever they wanted and still lose weight is my husband when he was training for his second Ironman. He was exercising about 40 hours a week (twice a day during the week and 10+ hours straight on the weekends) and he was a lean man in his late 20s. Whitney just has no connection with reality. She acts like PCOS is the only thing standing in her way, but there's even more! Women's metabolism slows down at age 18 on average (hence, perhaps, her massive weight gain at that age), and continues to slow after 30. Plus the fatter we get, the slower our metabolism gets, because muscle fuels metabolism. Fortunately for most of us past 30, we have gained the maturity to know that we must delay or subdue our need for gratification, so "dieting" becomes a bit easier psychologically. I suspect Whitney's brain stalled when her weight shot up and she is stuck at that snotty 18-year-old mentality.

To be fair, your husband wasn't eating whatever wanted and losing weight, he was working out so much that even a high amount of calories were being cancelled out (aka, just an extreme level of any diet). Good for him!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/slow-metabolism/faq-20058480 Slow metabolism is rarely the reason for weight gain -- overweight people actually tend to have faster metabolisms!

Edited by DoctorWhovian
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, DoctorWhovian said:

To be fair, your husband wasn't eating whatever wanted and losing weight, he was working out so much that even a high amount of calories were being cancelled out (aka, just an extreme level of any diet). Good for him!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/slow-metabolism/faq-20058480 Slow metabolism is rarely the reason for weight gain -- overweight people actually tend to have faster metabolisms!

Working out enough to cancel out caloric intake is what I mean by "eating whatever he wanted and losing weight." But yes, heavy people burn more calories than thinner people because higher weight means you require more calories, but a 250-lb body builder will have a higher BMR than a 250-lb "fat" guy because body composition does make a difference.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, greekmom said:

I still cannot find this fb post. And I've checked.

3 hours ago, greekmom said:

I meant Twitney's original post about skinny people.

Whitney's post about thin privilege was on July 11.  link

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Whitney's post about thin privilege was on July 11.  link

Wait this is the post people were getting all heated about?? Hadn't seen it. Thanks for the link. Lol I didn't know it was actually about Black Lives Matter. Cool. 

• Love 2
On 7/29/2016 at 9:01 PM, Honey said:

Maybe she went to buy some dog meat.  Horrid bitch.  This especially pissed me off right now since my beloved pekingese, Delilah, died here at home about an hour ago.  There will never be a time or place as long as I live, when I laugh about her death.

I am so sorry Honey!  That is awful.  I still will cry if I talk about my kitties that passed 18 and 15 years ago.  :(.

• Love 3

I recognize that Whitney is a classic food addict but I think there is something more going on.  She always seems so flustered, so "busy" with her fake internship and her 1 hour a week dance class.  I think that the pressure of performing and coming up with storylines for TLC is causing her stress eating as well.  These reality stars claim that many hours of filming go into a weekly show, and Whitney not only has a crew following her around, they are filming her in embarrassing situations.  As a textbook narcissist she craves the attention but at the same time she may be terribly embarrassed by the unflattering picture of her that is being shown to the world.

Whitney really needs to turn off the cameras and focus on her health before she does end up bedridden.  It's unlikely that she will do that and the audience will just witness further degeneration of her quality of life.

• Love 7

Does anyone know, before TLC, what was Whitney's job and source of income?  Because if I eliminate the money TLC is paying her, the only job she has is the 1 day a week dance class instructor?  How much are her "students" paying her for the class, if anything?

• Love 1
On 7/31/2016 at 6:28 PM, Nowhere said:

What the absolute fuck?!? What is happening to me?? Every time I check the thread there is another highly disturbing video of Whitney that I have to say "what the absolute fuck" to and I don't even really know what that means! 

Actually, I never heard that phrase before and was just sitting here thinking how much I like it. I am supposed to be cleaning up my language, but like Whit, my efforts are halfhearted and don't seem to be working. I think I'm gonna have to add 'absolute fuck' to the repertoire. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, aliya said:

Actually, I never heard that phrase before and was just sitting here thinking how much I like it. I am supposed to be cleaning up my language, but like Whit, my efforts are halfhearted and don't seem to be working. I think I'm gonna have to add 'absolute fuck' to the repertoire. 

Haha I'm so glad you get me. :))

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Geekygal16 said:

Does anyone know, before TLC, what was Whitney's job and source of income?  Because if I eliminate the money TLC is paying her, the only job she has is the 1 day a week dance class instructor?  How much are her "students" paying her for the class, if anything?

In the first season she lived at home, so she probably was unemployed or under paid. She used to work at a radio before the show started in greensboro.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2016 at 8:48 PM, aliya said:

There's a phrase that rhymes with, "giant bag of donkey dicks" that Tal needs to tell this woman to go suck. No, actually, that's exactly what he needs to say, never mind. She is a horrible, manipulative, self-pitying monster. It's hard for me to have sympathy for how I feel she's really suffering when she keeps being such an atrocious example of a human.

Edited by OnceSane
  • Love 2

I'm new to this show (and this forum) so haven't seen but the last... maybe 5 or so episodes. Why does she have tape in her hair?? In several different scenes, she'll have her hair pulled up into a sort of pony-tail and around the temples or where the part where some hair is pulled up into the pony-tail and some hair is left hanging, it looks like she has pieces of tape in her hair. ??? What's that??? Apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else in this forum. :) 

Also, is it weird that her living situation mirrors that of another reality TV "star" Ruby Gettinger - lives in a house with a straight male who she isn't dating but who helps with very intimate personal care issues??? Both make excuses about EVERYTHING and are in TOTAL denial about their situation (Whitney is MUCH MUCH worse than Ruby though!!).  

I kinda feel sorry for the radio DJ (forget his name) who seems to kinda have a crush on her. He seems like a really nice guy and he has NOOOOO idea what white hot mess he's getting into with her!!! 

• Love 5
On 8/2/2016 at 11:34 PM, Geekygal16 said:

Does Whitney do all of her confessionals all in one day or something?  She's wearing the same outfit during her sit-downs.

YES! Every. Single. Time. Every. Single. Episode. ???

Are the season 1 and 2 episodes available somewhere streaming? I really want to go back and catch up on what I've missed. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

I'm new to this show (and this forum) so haven't seen but the last... maybe 5 or so episodes. Why does she have tape in her hair?? In several different scenes, she'll have her hair pulled up into a sort of pony-tail and around the temples or where the part where some hair is pulled up into the pony-tail and some hair is left hanging, it looks like she has pieces of tape in her hair. ??? What's that??? Apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else in this forum. :) 

Also, is it weird that her living situation mirrors that of another reality TV "star" Ruby Gettinger - lives in a house with a straight male who she isn't dating but who helps with very intimate personal care issues??? Both make excuses about EVERYTHING and are in TOTAL denial about their situation (Whitney is MUCH MUCH worse than Ruby though!!).  

I kinda feel sorry for the radio DJ (forget his name) who seems to kinda have a crush on her. He seems like a really nice guy and he has NOOOOO idea what white hot mess he's getting into with her!!! 

Whitney has PCOS which causes hair loss (and extra body hair), so she wears extensions. That's the tape you're seeing in her hair.

I agree that she's very, very similar to Ruby. They both have that over-the-top happy persona that masks some deeper issues that they don't want to talk about. They pay lip service to wanting to improve their lives, but secretly do things to sabotage any progress and act like they don't understand what's going wrong.

I think Roy's crush is completely manufactured for the show. On the radio show clip that someone posted on this forum, he mentioned that he has been dating someone (not Whitney) since the beginning of the year, so I'm pretty sure that he's being paid to act like he's interested in Whitney so that she can dump Lennie AND turn down Roy making it seem like she's a hot commodity on the dating scene

• Love 11

I did watch Ruby on the Style Network, and while I see similarities between them, I always thought that Ruby was a much nicer person than Whit. Perhaps because of her family background, Ruby really seemed to value her friends and appreciate their care and support. Although she would bullshit her medical support team she always treated her friends with respect. They were a "family" in the true sense of the word. Whitney I think will end up pushing everyone away (and she's younger than Ruby was at the time of her show) due to her attitude and behavior. 

• Love 6

So I went looking for a clip of this supposed ballroom dancing competition, and came across this video on youtube of a previous "dance" of Whitney's:

And holy fucking shit, she calls this "dancing"? Maybe in a nightclub or some such bullshit, but that's about it. A couple of times she tries to do what looks like a pas de bourre, and her legs are too fat to do them properly. and the attempted turns at the end! Holy schnikeys! I could do better than that when I was 5 years old.

The video of her earlier in this thread with her back to the camera, shaking her ass, disgusted me. Not because of her weight, but because it's gross and slimy. She's just SHAKING AND WIGGLING HER ASS FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Have some fucking dignity!

• Love 5

So Whitney just posted a picture of her and Will "dancing" and I am actually a bit surprised. She desperately needs a bra, but she looks thinner than she has recently. Maybe it's old or maybe she has lost some weight.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

So Whitney just posted a picture of her and Will "dancing" and I am actually a bit surprised. She desperately needs a bra, but she looks thinner than she has recently. Maybe it's old or maybe she has lost some weight.  

The clip is dated 2011...where she claims she will NEVER get back to and NEVER be that girl again ;) She also claims she was miserable and barely eating during that time. I don't believe a word of that.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

The clip is dated 2011...where she claims she will NEVER get back to and NEVER be that girl again ;) She also claims she was miserable and barely eating during that time. I don't believe a word of that.

I believe the "never be that girl again" part. 

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

Whitney has PCOS which causes hair loss (and extra body hair), so she wears extensions. That's the tape you're seeing in her hair.

I agree that she's very, very similar to Ruby. They both have that over-the-top happy persona that masks some deeper issues that they don't want to talk about. They pay lip service to wanting to improve their lives, but secretly do things to sabotage any progress and act like they don't understand what's going wrong.

I think Roy's crush is completely manufactured for the show. On the radio show clip that someone posted on this forum, he mentioned that he has been dating someone (not Whitney) since the beginning of the year, so I'm pretty sure that he's being paid to act like he's interested in Whitney so that she can dump Lennie AND turn down Roy making it seem like she's a hot commodity on the dating scene

I bet Whit's getting alot of chubbie chasers online after her now that she's on tv,  hence the over-confidence. Or its the narcissism talking.  Or both. Maybe someone should send Whit the website for that sex chair. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Ahhhhh.... thanks for letting me know. It's too bad she'll never be that girl again. That is a girl I can say is fat but functional. Today's Whitney can't sell that. 

• Love 4

I watched Whitney's Ted Talk, and after she returned from teaching English in Korea, she worked as a radio producer for minimum wage.  She could not afford rent and lived with her parents during this time.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MissCurmudgeonly said:

So I went looking for a clip of this supposed ballroom dancing competition, and came across this video on youtube of a previous "dance" of Whitney's:

And holy fucking shit, she calls this "dancing"? Maybe in a nightclub or some such bullshit, but that's about it. A couple of times she tries to do what looks like a pas de bourre, and her legs are too fat to do them properly. and the attempted turns at the end! Holy schnikeys! I could do better than that when I was 5 years old.

The video of her earlier in this thread with her back to the camera, shaking her ass, disgusted me. Not because of her weight, but because it's gross and slimy. She's just SHAKING AND WIGGLING HER ASS FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Have some fucking dignity!

By reading the credits at the end, there were actually 2 choreographers that put that mess together. Unbelievable!!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, MissCurmudgeonly said:

Yet another "dance video" full of short, short segments of dancing, not one continuous dance like real professionals.

• Love 4

I can't really tell.  Is she spotting when she does her turns in the video?  If she is, then that would indicate to me she has some training at least.  If she isn't, that's a pretty big tell that she doesn't have any real dance training.

1 hour ago, MrHufflepuff said:

I can't really tell.  Is she spotting when she does her turns in the video?  If she is, then that would indicate to me she has some training at least.  If she isn't, that's a pretty big tell that she doesn't have any real dance training.

She doesn't do any actual turns in the video. And  one of the reasons she got all bent out of shape when Caitie took over the dance class and taught a routine with turns and a spin was because Whitney couldn't do turns or spins and so assumed it was too difficult for her students, also.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 5

According to a newspaper account at the time:

Thore was a normal-sized prom queen in high school but began gaining weight rapidly in college. At age 23 she was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, a hormonal issue that can result in weight gain and difficulty in taking it off.

It was a challenging time emotionally, she said. Thore gave up dancing, one of her favourite activities, because she was concerned about how she looked and what people would say about her.

She heard plenty of remarks, and still does. But Thore decided not to let others rule her life and posted video online of her dancing to Jason DeRulo’s “Talk Dirty to Me” last January. It made her an Internet sensation and she got an email from TLC wondering if she’d be interested in a television series.

1 hour ago, DanaMB said:

Yet another "dance video" full of short, short segments of dancing, not one continuous dance like real professionals.

If some jiggling and hair whipping makes one a professional, I am completely ready for my spot on Alvin Ailey's dance squad. This explains why Babs and Len were so excited over the ballroom dancing. It was the first time they'd watch Whitney dancing with any bit of grace.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, MrHufflepuff said:

At about 2:10 in, there are a couple of....things....that I originally thought were somewhat kind of like turns. The same thing occurred to me about spotting, but with the garbage she put out there, you can't tell if that's what she's trying to do.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:49 PM, lallalla said:

There's a phrase that rhymes with, "giant bag of donkey dicks" that Tal needs to tell this woman to go suck. No, actually, that's exactly what he needs to say, never mind. She is a horrible, manipulative, self-pitying monster. It's hard for me to have sympathy for how I feel she's really suffering when she keeps being such an atrocious example of a human.

I am glad he had the guts to gently say what needed to be said.  I think he needs to not be so gentle next time.  Its not about her weight, its about her excuses for every gd thing!  Everyone around her needs to hold her accountable and call her on her bullshit.  I find I get quite animated during this show.  Pity parties and excuses don't sit well with me.  And be a bit more grateful for all your good friends and how they help you with day to day life responsibilities.  And grow the eff up!

Edited by OnceSane
Quoted post was edited
  • Love 4

I honestly and truly believe that if Whitney were exactly as heavy as she is now, but mobile enough to require no help from others (like putting her shoes on), and owning the fact that she overeats, nobody would give a shit. It's true, it's not about her weight, it's about the immaturity and keeping others at her beck and call.

Despite it all, I do think she has a chance (albeit slim, pun intended) at redemption. Here is my four-point Whitney Redemption Arc.

1) Acknowledge that she's been lying to others and herself about her activity level and food consumption in the past. Acknowledge that she has been relying heavily on the labor of others to help her do tasks both basic and complex.

2) Apologize to those close to her for misleading them and for barking orders to do her bidding. To put it in more appropriate terms, she needs to eat a big slice of humble pie.

3) Accept help in the form of a plan of action for her to take back her life. Therapy for her food addiction and chronic excuse-making. A life coach to assert her independence. A trainer and nutritionist for her health.

4) Enact the plan. When failures happen (and they do to all of us), acknowledge them and move on effectively and in the right direction. Be an inspiration to your fans and supporters.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, auntjess said:

If that's her recently, she looks thinner.  Look at her neck.

I don't know - there's a short video clip (on her facebook page) showing her hitting the speed bag at Will's gym, filmed yesterday. It's a head-to-toe image of her from behind and she looks about the same as she did in the last episode.

Edited by Ketzel