Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Too bad Whitney can't cook. We could have had pee pad wontons to look forward to. 

Make that pee pad pasta & pizza !!

I think Whit would really give Penny a run for her money.  I can already picture Whit barking out orders from her bed/throne.  They should do a reality show with Whit & Penny being roommates in a nursing home, cuz that's where they are both headed.  

• Love 4

I agree that Whitney is rapidly heading towards being bed bound and an early death.

We are all entertained by these people who have this desire (flaw) who want to be on a reality show.  We have all seen in a relatively short span of time how destructive it can be, leading to divorce, prison, suicide and the rest. The producers can see a train wreck waiting and ripe to be exploited, slowly or quickly implode on these shows, getting big ratings and then dump them on the nearest corner. That is who they look for.   Whitney is a classic example. Willing to do and say anything.

Whitney has zero insight.    Never said aloud, but TLC is silently hoping for an on air fatal heart attack.

I have no doubt that Whitney, her family and friends read every single word written here and everywhere else.     So, Whitney better wake up and get her act together. Her just as guilty parents who I believe love this D- list celebrity as much as Whitney does better do a final bottom line intervention on her, then walk away.  Enabling will just lead to an earlier death.

Uh, dance buddy, you cannot dance. So, walk away or be a REAL friend to Whitney.   Lennie, do you really think you are a talented artist?  That pretending to be a boyfriend so you can be on this show is going to further a career that does not exist?

Do  a show with the trainer guy instead who doesn't mince words, tells the truth and honestly tried to help Whitney.     But, of course that show is not TLC'S style.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

So I think the parade has finally shown that Whiney is not the dancer she thinks she is.  Unfortunately, her dance troupe appears equally amateurish.

Yes, but didn't I hear her say, when they lost, that they had always won before?  I wonder what they won.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

I can't get my brain to function enough to choose right now.

But looking at them, I doubt Whitney is capable of recreating those moves at the present time, especially from the Muffin Top video. Watching this season, it doesn't seem like she's got even that much energy at this time.

Hoping those images fade from my brain before it's bedtime

• Love 2
(edited)

Whitney being a grump during the parade was strange and off-putting.  Plus, she didn't wear makeup or fix her hair, which I thought was really bad--given her attention-craving personality and as she represented her class.   Obviously,  she took time to shop for the green hats, suspenders,  and boa, when her back hurt.  Of course,  this is a woman who wears sports bras and yoga pants as regular clothes to work and in public,   so it's all around low class.

I get that Whit didn't think she would be in the parade, but as the leader of this class, I wd hope that she tried to show a good image. And I get that her back hurt--which I doubt-- but how lazy is she to not look better going in front of the public and representing her class? 

Aside from all that,  I doubt that smiling and waving during the parade would put a strain on her back.    

Horrible person.  There are people with serious health issues who manage to pull it together for short periods of time, esp., in public.  She's a lost cause. TLC is not doing her any favors. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Twerking with a 100-lb keister has to be rough on one's back!

jaysus!  And this past episode, the cameraman was just focused right in on her giant ass in stretch pants as she walked out of the booth to get the bagels.

Re: her "dance career." Supposedly, Twit moved back to the US to "pursue her passion" of dancing. What the bells did she think she was going to DO? Even pro dancers, like ballerinas, have a short shelf life and the Twit was already pushing 30. So how, exactly, was her amazing career meant to manifest?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Re: her "dance career." Supposedly, Twit moved back to the US to "pursue her passion" of dancing. What the bells did she think she was going to DO? Even pro dancers, like ballerinas, have a short shelf life and the Twit was already pushing 30. So how, exactly, was her amazing career meant to manifest?

Long-term thinking is not her forte, though she could have developed a SMART goal like "own a small local dance studio and give classes".

• Love 3

Quiet day here at our house, so I switched over to watch "Hairspray" on TV.  OMG, people!!!!  Whitney thinks she's Tracy Turnblad.  Now THAT is a large girl who can dance and has a wonderful outlook on life.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I think this is more evidence of Twit's "snowflakeitis" complex.  Her lack of boundaries with anyone and everything are very telling about the extent she's been catered to her whole life.  Clearly her parents did this to an extreme, and I know they did it out of love, but now she only surrounds herself with people that validate that and the rest of her laundry list needs for excessive attention, reassurance, and specialocity. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lallalla said:

Her lack of boundaries with anyone and everything are very telling about the extent she's been catered to her whole life.  Clearly her parents did this to an extreme, and I know they did it out of love,

This seems strange to me, because she's not an only child.  I haven't seen most of the shows, just a couple of early ones and a few recent ones, but I gather she has a brother.
Is he much older?  Spoiled too?  Was she ill as a child?
Just trying to figure it out.

• Love 1

I apologize for not quoting here, the post I'm referencing was on the last page and in my lazy-ness on my phone I do not feel like going back to find it...sorry!!

but someone asked about her dance ability from a dancer background pov.  While I do not still consider myself a dancer, I danced until about college and no, I personally do not believe even at her thinnest that Whitney was a good dancer. It's subjective so ymmv, but I said on this board a long time ago that the clips usually used to "prove" she was a great dancer when she was younger/thinner drive me crazy because they are not at a professional level like she implies, the technique is flat out not good.  I don't believe one has to be explicitly good to consider themselves a dancer or to even enjoy dancing, so if that's what she likes good for her, but my issue is more that she touts herself as professional which I do not believe she ever was. It looks like she may have been in some kind of modern group, which again is totally fine and respectable... But modern dance is also a style that can vary in levels of technique.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, leighroda said:

I apologize for not quoting here, the post I'm referencing was on the last page and in my lazy-ness on my phone I do not feel like going back to find it...sorry!!

but someone asked about her dance ability from a dancer background pov.  While I do not still consider myself a dancer, I danced until about college and no, I personally do not believe even at her thinnest that Whitney was a good dancer. It's subjective so ymmv, but I said on this board a long time ago that the clips usually used to "prove" she was a great dancer when she was younger/thinner drive me crazy because they are not at a professional level like she implies, the technique is flat out not good.  I don't believe one has to be explicitly good to consider themselves a dancer or to even enjoy dancing, so if that's what she likes good for her, but my issue is more that she touts herself as professional which I do not believe she ever was. It looks like she may have been in some kind of modern group, which again is totally fine and respectable... But modern dance is also a style that can vary in levels of technique.  

Thanks for your explanation.  What does one do to be considered a professional dancer?  Be hired by an organization like the Rockettes or Cirque du Solei? From watching Dance Moms, these TALENTED young girls have dedicated their lives for just the chance to try out for one of these groups. Whit thinks with her (limited) training, she could walk right in & be hired.  Reminds me of when I was little & my friend who never skated before, thought once she laced up her ice skates & stepped  on the ice, she would become another Dorothy Hamill.  But we were 10 & Whit is in her early 30's. The  YWCA Aerobics class I took 30 years ago had better choreography than hers does. Still think it would be great for TLC to do a Dance Moms and Fit & Fabulous crossover. 

• Love 2

Her "passion" for dance came about cuz of her first video that went viral. BS on dance being her goal in life.   Whit was in radio production which I think she really likes. ...and after TLC, I cd see her working in radio.  The over the top personality and over-sharing of her " beg" won't fly in a real job, without cameras.  She seems the type to take over the room with her loudness, and not everyone thinks that's entertaining.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

This seems strange to me, because she's not an only child.  I haven't seen most of the shows, just a couple of early ones and a few recent ones, but I gather she has a brother.
Is he much older?  Spoiled too?  Was she ill as a child?
Just trying to figure it out.

I hope this is not too far off-topic, but based on my educational experience with similar people/personalities and my anecdotal, personal experience from a family member, I have a feeling a large part of it has to do with her innate personality.  I have a family member just a few years older than Whitney and she is very much the same way when it comes to attention, vindictiveness, etc.  She has to upstage everyone. If you've done something or been somewhere, she's done a fancier version of it.  She always has some kind of drama going on, often multiple threads of drama, and she commands attention and belittles others, she makes sure you know she will not hesitate to step on you should you question her about anything. The domineering presence and "don't f-- with me" persona is just staggering.  She had no illness as a child, was not an only child, but was catered to and taught that she was the most perfect, special being on the planet.  Her parents catered to her to sickening extremes. I am not sure if this fed an already present natural tendency to be a disgusting anomaly of a person or if it's what built it.  I have a feeling there is a tendency toward this in some and if fostered and catered to in childhood, they well learn how to surround themselves with people that will continue their self-script into adulthood. Everyone else will be cut off, maliciously, if they feel the need to do so.

• Love 2

There are any number of creative pursuits where the technique needed to participate ranges from "little-to-none" to "OMG-did-you-see-that?!"  Dance is one of them. Little children can run in circles to music and jump up and down and I'd call it dancing. Shy teenage boys can try to imitate Usher in front of the mirror in their bedroom, and I'd call it dancing. A fat woman can shake her hips, wave her arms in the air and bend over to show a video camera her ass, while Jason Derulo sings about how he lusts for her big fat butt, and I'd call it dancing. (I'd roll my eyes at the vulgar exhibitionism of it, but it's some kind of dancing. Not the good kind, imo, but some kind.) And if she's getting paid to do it, it probably qualifies as professional dancing . At least it does if you define professionalism as getting paid to do it. But that doesn't move it out of the "little-to-none" category of dance skill. (And heaven knows I've met many dancers who are "amateurs" by that standard whose dancing was definitely at the "OMG" end of the range, particularly among Latin competitive dancers.)

What all three examples have in common, is that none of them have put in the necessary time and effort to become good dancers - to move along the range of skill (and respect for the work) that training and practice provide.  They aren't trained dancers, and there is just so far you can go, calling yourself a dancer, without mastering the technique of your chosen form or forms of dance.  Whitney's dancing shows no signs of technical training - not even very basic training like pointing her feet or extending her fingers in order to complete a body line. She's shown she can't balance on one leg, do a spin or rapid turns, or even control the movement she choses to do - watch how she does a hip lift, where she pushes her hip up and then lets it drop without any control. Most of her dancing relies on gravity and inertia, not muscular control. In short, she can call herself a dancer, but she's a very bad one. That she considers herself qualified to teach is absurd, regardless of her size.

• Love 10
On July 8, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Ketzel said:

Now I need professional grade eye bleach.  Dear Lord.

So the dancing wasn't anything different than what you can find at a local bar and dance floor near you.  By that standard of professional dancing, I should slay at the "So You Think You Can Dance" trials.  Let me see if I can make my millions.  Lol

Fitty Smallz looked like a smash up of Dog the Bounty Hunter, Dean Winters and Rick James.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Tosia said:

Her "passion" for dance came about cuz of her first video that went viral. BS on dance being her goal in life.   Whit was in radio production which I think she really likes. ...and after TLC, I cd see her working in radio.  The over the top personality and over-sharing of her " beg" won't fly in a real job, without cameras.  She seems the type to take over the room with her loudness, and not everyone thinks that's entertaining.  

This show would be much more interesting if she worked full time at the radio station and advanced her dancing career in her spare time.  Like every responsible person who has a passion but pays their own bills.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, lallalla said:

I hope this is not too far off-topic, but based on my educational experience with similar people/personalities and my anecdotal, personal experience from a family member, I have a feeling a large part of it has to do with her innate personality.  I have a family member just a few years older than Whitney and she is very much the same way when it comes to attention, vindictiveness, etc.  She has to upstage everyone. If you've done something or been somewhere, she's done a fancier version of it.  She always has some kind of drama going on, often multiple threads of drama, and she commands attention and belittles others, she makes sure you know she will not hesitate to step on you should you question her about anything. The domineering presence and "don't f-- with me" persona is just staggering.  She had no illness as a child, was not an only child, but was catered to and taught that she was the most perfect, special being on the planet.  Her parents catered to her to sickening extremes. I am not sure if this fed an already present natural tendency to be a disgusting anomaly of a person or if it's what built it.  I have a feeling there is a tendency toward this in some and if fostered and catered to in childhood, they well learn how to surround themselves with people that will continue their self-script into adulthood. Everyone else will be cut off, maliciously, if they feel the need to do so.

Classic "one-upper"

9 hours ago, Ketzel said:

There are any number of creative pursuits where the technique needed to participate ranges from "little-to-none" to "OMG-did-you-see-that?!"  Dance is one of them. Little children can run in circles to music and jump up and down and I'd call it dancing. Shy teenage boys can try to imitate Usher in front of the mirror in their bedroom, and I'd call it dancing. A fat woman can shake her hips, wave her arms in the air and bend over to show a video camera her ass, while Jason Derulo sings about how he lusts for her big fat butt, and I'd call it dancing. (I'd roll my eyes at the vulgar exhibitionism of it, but it's some kind of dancing. Not the good kind, imo, but some kind.) And if she's getting paid to do it, it probably qualifies as professional dancing . At least it does if you define professionalism as getting paid to do it. But that doesn't move it out of the "little-to-none" category of dance skill. (And heaven knows I've met many dancers who are "amateurs" by that standard whose dancing was definitely at the "OMG" end of the range, particularly among Latin competitive dancers.)

What all three examples have in common, is that none of them have put in the necessary time and effort to become good dancers - to move along the range of skill (and respect for the work) that training and practice provide.  They aren't trained dancers, and there is just so far you can go, calling yourself a dancer, without mastering the technique of your chosen form or forms of dance.  Whitney's dancing shows no signs of technical training - not even very basic training like pointing her feet or extending her fingers in order to complete a body line. She's shown she can't balance on one leg, do a spin or rapid turns, or even control the movement she choses to do - watch how she does a hip lift, where she pushes her hip up and then lets it drop without any control. Most of her dancing relies on gravity and inertia, not muscular control. In short, she can call herself a dancer, but she's a very bad one. That she considers herself qualified to teach is absurd, regardless of her size.

which is why people should show more respect for strippers.  That is professional dancing...and it looks damn hard!

• Love 6

Is anyone else totally sick of Whitney's signature pose? Left hand on the hip, right arm straight up in the air like she's trying to get a good armpit whiff, palm facing down at a 45-degree angle? Christ, woman, come up with a different one. It looks like a 5-year-old in a kiddie pageant who's trying to look "sassy."

• Love 17
On July 10, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Barb23 said:

Thanks for your explanation.  What does one do to be considered a professional dancer?  Be hired by an organization like the Rockettes or Cirque du Solei? From watching Dance Moms, these TALENTED young girls have dedicated their lives for just the chance to try out for one of these groups. Whit thinks with her (limited) training, she could walk right in & be hired.  Reminds me of when I was little & my friend who never skated before, thought once she laced up her ice skates & stepped  on the ice, she would become another Dorothy Hamill.  But we were 10 & Whit is in her early 30's. The  YWCA Aerobics class I took 30 years ago had better choreography than hers does. Still think it would be great for TLC to do a Dance Moms and Fit & Fabulous crossover. 

No prob! That's a good question... I think technically a "professional" dancer is one paid for their work, but I agree with you that there are lots of people who are not officially considered professional but work extremely hard, in many cases harder than people who are considered professional. I guess it's kinda like the olympics in that sense. 

• Love 1

I think Whitney started this just so the bigger girls could have a way to move. Whether or not she considers herself a professional dancer I don't know-I don't remember her saying it. There are all kinds of dance classes with people of all ages and sizes allover. I see nothing wrong with people doing this, it provides some exercise and they are having fun. You can also paint, write, run, bike or do anything else without being a professional. I saw the same kind of criticism on the Sister Wives forum because Meri took up the hobby of painting. How dare she paint when she isn't Picasso? Most of us do a lot of things at the amateur level and that is fine. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

Now I need professional grade eye bleach.  Dear Lord.

So the dancing wasn't anything different than what you can find at a local bar and dance floor near you.  By that standard of professional dancing, I should slay at the "So You Think You Can Dance" trials.  Let me see if I can make my millions.  Lol

Fitty Smallz looked like a smash up of Dog the Bounty Hunter, Dean Winters and Rick James.

** snort **

And am I losing my hearing? Did the lyrics actually say, "I pick you like a big fat juicy booger?" Flattery will get you everywhere!

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

** snort **

And am I losing my hearing? Did the lyrics actually say, "I pick you like a big fat juicy booger?" Flattery will get you everywhere!

you will not tempt me to click that video, no matter how hilariously snarkworthy the lyrics may be.

• Love 4

From the series premiere, Whitney says: "A lot of guys don't want me to lose any weight, and I tell them that's not gonna happen. Like, if I get any bigger, I won't be able to bend down and tie my shoes, and who wants their girlfriend to live like that?"

Cut to this season. Lennie has to put her shoes on. Yep. YEP. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think Whitney started this just so the bigger girls could have a way to move. Whether or not she considers herself a professional dancer I don't know-I don't remember her saying it. There are all kinds of dance classes with people of all ages and sizes allover. I see nothing wrong with people doing this, it provides some exercise and they are having fun. You can also paint, write, run, bike or do anything else without being a professional. I saw the same kind of criticism on the Sister Wives forum because Meri took up the hobby of painting. How dare she paint when she isn't Picasso? Most of us do a lot of things at the amateur level and that is fine. 

Nobody has an issue with her doing it as a HOBBY. But, according to another poster who read her book, Twit quit her job and moved back home to focus on her "dancing." That takes it out of the "hobby" realm and into the professional one. 

I am a professional writer. I am actually one of the top-selling authors in my genre. Before I was earning an income at it, however, I held onto my day job. I certainly did not move back home and allow my parents to pay my bills and do my laundry.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

From the series premiere, Whitney says: "A lot of guys don't want me to lose any weight, and I tell them that's not gonna happen. Like, if I get any bigger, I won't be able to bend down and tie my shoes, and who wants their girlfriend to live like that?"

Cut to this season. Lennie has to put her shoes on. Yep. YEP. 

I noticed Whit was wearing step-in style canvas shoes when Will had her get on the scale at her workout.  That's fine, to each his own,  but I would think you need a sturdier athletic type of shoe to work out in. The first thing that came to mind seeing her in the step in shoes was that Buddy or Lennie weren't around to help her put on tie shoes. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, RCharter said:

you will not tempt me to click that video, no matter how hilariously snarkworthy the lyrics may be.

Lol but you know you want to.  

I mean, I watched and snarked.... So it's your turn.  We will have your eye salve ready when you are done.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well what changed for Whitney?  Season 1 Episode 1 she's 380 pounds, she says several times that she wants/needs to lose weight.  She says she doesn't want her weight to be a disability.  Fast forward 2 seasons and she's 378lbs??? HUH? She's gained a good hundred pounds!  Don't sell me that lie TLC

What's going to be the bottom for her?  If not needing 2 grown men and a camera crew to help her on the slopes, WHAT will it take?

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, ClareWalks said:
32 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Well what changed for Whitney?  Season 1 Episode 1 she's 380 pounds, she says several times that she wants/needs to lose weight.  She says she doesn't want her weight to be a disability.  Fast forward 2 seasons and she's 378lbs??? HUH? She's gained a good hundred pounds!  Don't sell me that lie TLC

What's going to be the bottom for her?  If not needing 2 grown men and a camera crew to helpful her on the slopes, WHAT will it take?

Just now, Barb23 said:

Sorry, having trouble quoting.    But they really couldn't even help her then, by pulling her up.  All the producer film girl do was release her ski boots, Whit just went down on her own.  I think it embarrassed her more than a wake up call. 

• Love 2

Did anyone else notice the shoes Whitney was wearing at the gym? They are the Sketchers that you just slip on. My 85 year old great aunt wears them because she has a difficult time bending over to tie her shoes (due to her age). I bet Whitney wears them because she either can't tie her own shoes or she can't fit her fat feet in "regular" athletic shoes. They don't look sturdy enough to be wearing during a workout to support all 400 pounds of Whit

• Love 7

Many gyms require athletic shoes (not slip-ons) for liability reasons. I don't think fit is the problem (shoes are made super wide nowadays) but if she cannot reach her feet to tie her shoes then she is in real trouble. 

• Love 4

I work in a shoe  store that carries   a wide range of   sizes  and widths . Sometimes  if the person  is obese and their feet are fat/swollen  it can be almost  impossible  to fit them . The slip on shoes while  not the best for working   out may be all she can wear . Feet can come in odd sizes.

• Love 3
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Pdxblonde said:

There's nothing wrong with the slip on sketchers, but they aren't very sturdy- that was my point. 

and I think thats an interesting, and super important point.  

The bigger you get, the more important the workout shoe because you're already putting more weight on your joints

Wearing slip on shoes, backless during a workout is an accident waiting to happen, especially if you're doing cardio.  I see it at the gym and I am scared for people who are trying to workout in flip flops and what not (I've seen it!) because I feel like the shoe is going to slip off and they are going to get tripped up.

Just as important.....you need to have support and cushioning, and you probably need to purchase workout shoes more often than others.  If the shoes aren't sturdy its hard to get either of those things.

I have to believe that if we put a man on the moon, someone has surely created a workout shoe for people with really, really big feet.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 5

Sketchers go walk shoes aren't backless, they actually are made for walking and contain some cushioning. They don't slip off and are nothing like flip flops. I have seen them in my gym and I think they are ok unless you are doing heavy duty workouts. I wear a lace up gym shoe myself but on days when my back is bad, I prefer shoes that aren't heavy. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Sketchers go walk shoes aren't backless, they actually are made for walking and contain some cushioning. They don't slip off and are nothing like flip flops. I have seen them in my gym and I think they are ok unless you are doing heavy duty workouts. I wear a lace up gym shoe myself but on days when my back is bad, I prefer shoes that aren't heavy. 

Oh, then I'm thinking of a different Sketcher slip on shoe that I've seen.

The ones I've seen from Sketchers aren't flip flops, but they are backless shoes that you slip your feet into.  I HAVE however seen people at the gym in flip flops and I'm scared for them.

• Love 2

I brought up her slip on shoes yesterday. My first thought was Lennie or Buddy weren't around to tie her lace up shoes for her.  Maybe Will will mention she needs to wear sturdier shoes  during her workout on tomorrow's episode.  I hope so.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Many gyms require athletic shoes (not slip-ons) for liability reasons. I don't think fit is the problem (shoes are made super wide nowadays) but if she cannot reach her feet to tie her shoes then she is in real trouble. 

But they have so many third party products aimed at making proper athletic shoes into easy lace up or even slip ons, not sure why she can't spend the less than $10 it costs to get some.

• Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

What's going to be the bottom for her?  If not needing 2 grown men and a camera crew to help her on the slopes, WHAT will it take?

I love you for many of your comments, but absolutely for calling out her weight, I was even generous and gave her until season 3 to say she'd gained at least 100, if not more. As I've said before, she looks like she has eaten her first season self. And at her starting size, to achieve that look, I think you have to gain more than 10 or even 50lbs.  I'm just assuming of course, but I can't pick my jaw up during or after her TH's this season, in particular, because they clearly highlight her enormity. 

Edited by lallalla
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

But they have so many third party products aimed at making proper athletic shoes into easy lace up or even slip ons, not sure why she can't spend the less than $10 it costs to get some.

15 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Sturdy shoes are available with velcro closures if she can't tie her shoes.  And there are very wide shoes available online.

But if her problem is she can't reach down far enough to tie the laces on her shoes, would it be any easier to manipulate Velcro or elastic band closings? That would explain why she wears slip ons (and also why her mother has to shave her legs for her.)

• Love 2