Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, CatherineM said:

So how does a 900 lb. guy who needs to be cut out of his dwelling, traffic cocaine?  

Well, there were a bunch of other people arrested along with him so they probably did all the legwork while he hid the drugs in a festering crotch wound. 😂 As if drugs needed another reason to avoid doing them. 

This story includes a picture of the mobile home but not of the "dwelling" in which Kenneth T Hicks resides. I feel cheated. 

(edited)
15 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Well, there were a bunch of other people arrested along with him so they probably did all the legwork while he hid the drugs in a festering crotch wound. 😂 As if drugs needed another reason to avoid doing them. 

This story includes a picture of the mobile home but not of the "dwelling" in which Kenneth T Hicks resides. I feel cheated. 

I was thinking, yeah, that photographer could have taken some initiative and tried to circle around the area to get a better shot - although it looked like law enforcement may have set up a perimeter to keep people at a distance. Then I started wondering, how bad the smell has to be in and around that "dwelling." And I'm thinking, nah, the photog is not likely to be making enough coin from the job to get too close, especially if it involves being downwind. Blargh. 

Now I'm looking for brain bleach. Because "festering crotch wound." And for some reason my retired lawyer self just imagined a law review article, "The Fourth Amendment and Festering Crotch Wounds: A New Legal Frontier; Search and Seizure In America's Obesity Epidemic."

Edited by Jeeves
punctuation. It's a thing.
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Then I started wondering, how bad the smell has to be in and around that "dwelling." And I'm thinking, nah, the photog is not likely to be making enough coin from the job to get too close, especially if it involves being downwind. Blargh.

You may not be far from the truth here. 

From this article:

After departing his Emporia home at 12:20 p.m., accompanied by law enforcement and medical personnel, 48-year-old Kenneth T. Hicks was taken to the hospital for unspecified issues.

Novak revoked Hicks’ bond Monday and directed that for Hicks’ own safety and dignity — he is unable to wear clothing — that he appear in the loading dock of the East Broad Street courthouse for proceedings next Tuesday. It is expected that he will arrive via ambulance.

I'm thinking that a naked, nearly half-ton man trapped in his house and possibly suffering with a case of the coke sweats, is not going to smell like a bar of Irish Spring soap.

And, oh, please, if there are any gods above, when Kenneth T Hick gets to the loading dock, please let him be greeted with a chorus of "How y'all doings" by everyone who's there to detain him. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, Giant Misfit said:

From that article:

Would that be called "a barn?" I mean, what kind of "dwelling" can contain a 900-lb man?Even Half-ton Man Patrick Duell was warehoused in his garage where he could easily smoke his cigarettes and eat himself to death.

When they have to remove TREES to get you out of your house.... you might be a lardass. (Apologies to Jeff Foxworthy) 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I bet that big shed roof behind the trailer is where Kenneth T. Hicks is living, and I bet it's like the big lawn mower sheds with a wooden ramp.   The poor ramp would never hold up to his weight.     I bet you can tell where he's being held at, in the secure medical facility, because I bet the entire staff went on a sick out.  

I can't believe they're having an update on both Assanti brothers next week.     I was hoping I had seen the last of Steven.  

• Love 1

I always felt a little sorry for Steven A., now understand I would not go near him with a 100 foot pole, but he does seem to have a mental illness and seeing someone who is ill  and without treatment is sad. I will not watch the update because he gives me the creeps so hopefully the stronger willed people will give updates.

• Love 3
On 5/14/2019 at 1:23 AM, newyawk said:

Because this is likely to be of interest to people who watch this show, I am putting this here. USA Network has picked up "The Biggest Loser" and is bringing it back to television.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/13/usa-bringing-back-the-biggest-loser/

I'm in. I miss that show. 

I'm so excited! I loved this show and finding out about bad weight loss techniques like water loading and how a "week" was sometimes longer or shorter... 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I remember a case in Florida in 2001-2. She had been laying on a couch without getting up for so long that the fabric had infused into her skin. They couldn’t remove her from it without surgery. The firemen had to cut the wall open, and transported her, couch and all, on a flatbed trailer. She didn’t survive the surgery. I hope she was unconscious for most of it. 

Someone had been treating her like an animal in a cage. Feeding her and probably spending her disability. 

• Love 1
On 5/13/2019 at 11:38 PM, newyawk said:

I need more episodes of this show. I went back to season 1 to have something to watch.

I find other interesting shows to fill in.
Not many episodes, so not on often, but To Catch a Smuggler: (Peru, Colombia, Madrid) or a plain one, NY) is pretty interesting, and who knew--you can make plastic and gel and liquid cocaine, it form the sides of a suitcase or the lining of a jacket.
NatGeo and Smithsonian channels have strange and interesting stuff.
A&E has one scheduled, The Employables, about people who have a hard time getting jobs, one is a man with Tourettes.

• Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I can’t find a thread for The Assanti Brothers, Part 4.  Has anyone started one?

The moderator creates the topics for new episodes (live chat and regular) two or three days before broadcast. But they are locked until broadcast night, so no posting until then.

I'm not sure, but the mods might permit some pre-broadcast discussion in the "all you can eat" thread.

Edited by ProTourist
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

The moderator creates the topics for new episodes (live chat and regular) two or three days before broadcast. But they are locked until broadcast night, so no posting until then.

I'm not sure, but the mods might permit some pre-broadcast discussion in the "all you can eat" thread.

I just watched it on Hulu so I thought it already aired. 

28 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I just watched it on Hulu so I thought it already aired. 

It looks like there were two new episodes of Where Are They Now? (follow-up) that early-premiered tonight (May 15, 2019) -- June, Chad, and Pauline and Assanti Brothers Part 4. They are available online, but I don't know if they were broadcast as I do not have a TV:

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life-where-are-they-now/full-episodes/june-chad-pauline

According to TLC's published schedule, Assantis Part 4 will broadcast next Wednesday May 22 at 8pm, so I imagine tonight's premiere was online only, and that the posting topics will be available next Wednesday night.

The schedule is also showing that the following Wednesday night May 29 will premiere the follow-up on last year's poundticipant Janine. Janine is the one who received the gastric balloon, and I've been looking forward to her follow-up.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

It looks like there were two new episodes of Where Are They Now? (follow-up) that early-premiered tonight (May 15, 2019) -- June, Chad, and Pauline and Assanti Brothers Part 4. They are available online, but I don't know if they were broadcast as I do not have a TV:

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life-where-are-they-now/full-episodes/june-chad-pauline

According to TLC's published schedule, Assantis Part 4 will broadcast next Wednesday May 22 at 8pm, so I imagine tonight's premiere was online only, and that the posting topics will be available next Wednesday night.

The schedule is also showing that the following Wednesday night May 29 will premiere the follow-up on last year's poundticipant Janine. Janine is the one who received the gastric balloon, and I've been looking forward to her follow-up.

I watched it on TV and the description said to be aired May 22nd but it is available.  Interesting since Hulu is usually a day behind unless you have the live TV plan which I do. 

14 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Someone had been treating her like an animal in a cage. Feeding her and probably spending her disability. 

In most cases where people are being held while someone else spends their disability, the victim is less than 100 pounds.  There'd be nothing left to spend if they were feeding a person that much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't know. Some people get large retirement and/or investment account checks.  So, there may be enough to feed them a lot of high calories junk food and enough for someone to squander. 

(edited)

On the things on the highway subject, here's one.    Years ago we were driving a multi lane highway through Pennsylvania, in a snow storm, uphill.    Way in front there was a dump truck, or something similar.  All of a sudden we saw something coming downhill.    It was one of the huge truck tires, and it was loose and bouncing down the mountain.   It bounced enough by the time it was close to us, that it bounced way over the car we were in.    If it would have hit us, we all would have died.

A friend is called "Death Ride" by his family, because he always stumbles on something strange.   He was driving through the Spaghetti Bowl in El Paso (a bunch of highways, interstate, and overpasses meet there).     He was driving, and his brother was riding with him, behind a beverage truck.   This is when they used to have the metal dollies on the back.    Mike said, I wonder if those ever fall off?     Suddenly, the dolly cable, or tie let go, the dollies hit the pavement, and Mike had to swerve all over the highway to miss them.     His brother still refuses to ride with him.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On the things on the highway subject, here's one.    Years ago we were driving a multi lane highway through Pennsylvania, in a snow storm, uphill.    Way in front there was a dump truck, or something similar.  All of a sudden we saw something coming downhill.    It was one of the huge truck tires, and it was loose and bouncing down the mountain.   It bounced enough by the time it was close to us, that it bounced way over the car we were in.    If it would have hit us, we all would have died.

A friend is called "Death Ride" by his family, because he always stumbles on something strange.   He was driving through the Spaghetti Bowl in El Paso (a bunch of highways, interstate, and overpasses meet there).     He was driving, and his brother was riding with him, behind a beverage truck.   This is when they used to have the metal dollies on the back.    Mike said, I wonder if those ever fall off.     Suddenly, the dolly cable, or tie let go, the dollies hit the pavement, and Mike had to swerve all over the highway to miss them.     His brother still refuses to ride with him.     

Many, many more people die from hitting deer during rutting season than hitting any random mattress or dolly.  Jeez.  😬

• Love 1
12 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Many, many more people die from hitting deer during rutting season than hitting any random mattress or dolly.  Jeez.  😬

That's usually the deer's fault . . . most of them do NOT obey the rules of the road which require them to cross at the "Deer Crossing" signs.  (Kidding.)

• LOL 9

Oh dear. I'm doomed. For a post-workout snack I had 10 frozen grapes, and all yinz know that grapes are evil. I'm sure that the scale will show a massive weight gain tomorrow morning, probably 20 or 30 pounds. 

Sigh. Well, at least I didn't have any crackers or sugar-free jam. I'd be bursting out of my clothing if I had done that. 

😄

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 8:44 AM, AZChristian said:

That's usually the deer's fault . . . most of them do NOT obey the rules of the road which require them to cross at the "Deer Crossing" signs.  (Kidding.)

Because... Iowa: deer can't read

eta - I'm a FB friend of Paul Mason, formerly the fattest man in the UK. He's lived in the US for the past 5 years, initially to get skin removal surgery that they wouldn't approve on the NHS. I've seen him go in and out of the hospital and have various health problems. I haven't seen him around much and just now he posted that he has to go back to the UK because he let his visa run out and other stupid stuff. I could tell from the picture that he had gained weight and he admitted being around 500 pounds, up from 275. He talked about getting therapy and financial benefits in the UK to try and turn things around. It's kind of sad - and shows that the morbidly obese are probably fighting additional demons that keep them from maintaining weight loss.

Edited by aliya
new info
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/14/2019 at 9:00 AM, Giant Misfit said:

You may not be far from the truth here. 

From this article:

I'm thinking that a naked, nearly half-ton man trapped in his house and possibly suffering with a case of the coke sweats, is not going to smell like a bar of Irish Spring soap.

And, oh, please, if there are any gods above, when Kenneth T Hick gets to the loading dock, please let him be greeted with a chorus of "How y'all doings" by everyone who's there to detain him. 

Aww Geez GiantMisfit, why did he have to be in Virginia? Thanks Kenneth T. 😕 I guess that's a good thing though since, unlike some other states, Virginia is not going to accept the "he's too fat to incarcerate" defense that's been successfully used elsewhere. Also, I think it's a bit late to try to preserve one's dignity when you have to be cut out of your home, hauled away by who knows how many firefighters and be processed through a loading dock.

Channeling my inner Mr. T, "I pity the fool" who has to share a cell with him though he'll probably be housed in the prison infirmary.

I read the article on Paul Mason. Thanks, @aliya, for the info on his letting his visa run out which IIRC wasn't mentioned in the linked article. 

About the "demons," yes, I think this guy must have more issues than the National Geographic that are driving his behavior. He got WLS, went down to 275 pounds and is now up to 500 again. Oy. 

For some reason my favorite line in the story is in one of the sidebars, about his former fiance Rebecca:

Rebecca, who makes wooden furniture for cats, added: “We are no longer a couple but I stand behind him 100 per cent.”

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
55 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Tonight, 5/21, (and again in early AM I think), Discovery Life offers again the Women With World's Biggest Hips

Whitney got a guest appearance?

Edited by Colleenna
Clarity
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

I've seen bits of it, and believe it or not, she's not even close.  

I can't even imagine. Oh wait.... M600PL cast members..... butt wings that could support a small Cessna. 

(edited)
13 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9118322/fattest-man-paul-mason-uk-benefits/

This dude. Criminy. 

ETA: I shoulda read the post immediately above before I parked this here! Anyway, here’s some more detail on Paul. He does sound exasperating but the sensitive reporting is remarkable... 🙁

OMGoodness - "Lard Luck Story"?  Love those UK newspapers. 

He and the girlfriend split years ago. Why is he still eating pizza in an attempt to drown his sorrows? I do know that he's been in and out of the hospital with cellulitis and I think he had to have a toe amputated. I'm sure all of this is rough, but damn.

I remember his UK show. He lost his parents' house due to the expenses from his eating. How do you do that? The house they worked for, you just use to feed your gaping maw. You should be ashamed.

Edited by aliya
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If there is any justice in this world, maybe the fire fighters will hose down Mr. Hicks, or run him through a car wash on the way to the loading dock.  

I just read on the news feed that he pled guilty while in an ambulance in the loading dock of the courthouse. I guess sentencing will be soon. My question is, where the hell did they find an ambulance large enough? Did they have to remove a lot of the lifesaving equipment in order to accommodate his bulk? 

One thing for sure.... he'll likely lose weight in prison. I don't think they'll allow his enabler to bring him food 48 times a day. 

• Love 4
On 5/21/2019 at 9:14 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9118322/fattest-man-paul-mason-uk-benefits/

This dude. Criminy. 

ETA: I shoulda read the post immediately above before I parked this here! Anyway, here’s some more detail on Paul. He does sound exasperating but the sensitive reporting is remarkable... 🙁

I remember watching a show about him. I guess it shows you the success rate is low. 

does anyone remember the "half ton teen" Billy Robbins? I remember his mother was feeding him to death ala Sean. I always wondered how he is doing. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 11:30 AM, auntjess said:

Tonight, 5/21, (and again in early AM I think), Discovery Life offers again the Women With World's Biggest Hips, and later, My Fat Saved My Life.

I saw the woman with the hips. They are big. She is a lovely woman with a wonderful husband and kids. 

Edited by libgirl2
4 hours ago, Swiss said:

So tonight's episode is featuring the trainwreck Assanti brothers AGAIN??  I won't be watching.  Enough of them..

I'm debating if I should watch it or not, honestly.  I feel like it's wrong somehow, to keep having him on the show when he has no intention of changing.  He's gross, he's a psychopath, and he's mentally ill.  TLC is exploiting him for ratings.  And yes, I realize the argument could be made that they do that with everyone on this show, and I'm being a hypocrite by getting all outraged over this particular case.  

• Love 4
On 5/18/2019 at 3:12 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

A friend is called "Death Ride" by his family, because he always stumbles on something strange.   He was driving through the Spaghetti Bowl in El Paso (a bunch of highways, interstate, and overpasses meet there).     He was driving, and his brother was riding with him, behind a beverage truck.   This is when they used to have the metal dollies on the back.    Mike said, I wonder if those ever fall off?     Suddenly, the dolly cable, or tie let go, the dollies hit the pavement, and Mike had to swerve all over the highway to miss them.     His brother still refuses to ride with him.     

You’re on deaths list..........................

Another highway horror story---my parents were behind a large boat that came loose on an old 2 lane highway.  Fortunately for them, there was enough of a slope and curve in the road that the boat veered off into a ravine.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, Jeeves said:

Now I'm looking for brain bleach. Because "festering crotch wound." And for some reason my retired lawyer self just imagined a law review article, "The Fourth Amendment and Festering Crotch Wounds: A New Legal Frontier; Search and Seizure In America's Obesity Epidemic."

Jeeves, there was something going around on Facebook last week, a man was getting ready to read a journal article, and his wife added "Harry Potter and ..." to the the title.
So "Harry Potter and Festering Crotch Wounds" would also work.

• LOL 6
(edited)

Auntjess-For your article, don't forget Nicole having to lift her folds so the police could be sure she didn't have drugs or guns hidden in them.    

I'm hoping the Janine update is much better.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)

I'm moving this over here because I didn't see the request to move 'stuff on the highway' chat to Small Talk until after I posted it.

A wreck is the least of some one's worries. When I was at the U of Washington, a young woman who had recently graduated and started working was hit when some guy's furniture came off of his truck and through her windshield. She wasn't killed, but it took out the middle of her face, left her blind and disfigured.

She was awarded $15 million (which may have been reduced on appeal. I haven't found that info yet.) as jurors found that the design of the UHaul truck made it impossible to secure loads.

The WA legislature passed a law criminalizing failure to secure a load when someone is injured or killed. Previously, drivers only got a $250 fine.

I ALWAYS think of this young woman, who had her life in front of her, when I'm behind some open truck w/a bunch of stuff in it. I stay way behind. 

Edited by aliya
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/18/2019 at 2:12 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love the names for these horrible interchanges.  I try to avoid Spaghetti Junction as often as possible considering how much time I spend on I-85.  Malfunction Junction in Birmingham is another nasty exchange, but they have torn it down recently and are constructing another one which I hope will be less scary.   Years ago I had to drop my cousin off at the Pentagon most mornings and that mess was called the Mixing Bowl, but now I think it is referred to mostly as the Pentagon network; the term Mixing Bowl is now used for another exchange that is worse.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:31 PM, fonfereksglen said:

Many, many more people die from hitting deer during rutting season than hitting any random mattress or dolly. 

I find the highways in Pennsylvania to be notorious for dead deer.  On the drive from Virginia to Buffalo there are so many dead deer.   I see dead deer on the roads in Georgia and other southern states often, but not nearly like in Penn.

Speaking of travel---  We spent last week in a hotel.  I was on the elevator with a woman who was probably between 350-400 pounds; she was in shorts (ack!!!) and had one of those horrid growths on her leg like most of Dr Now's patients have.  I  started wondering if having that would motivate her to lose weight or if she would just go on gaining weight until she was over 600 pounds.  She wasn't very tall.  Then when I got back in my room I noticed my small spare tire and wondered if that would motivate me to lose those 10 pound in 6 munt that I am supposed to or if I would start to gain again until I need Dr Now.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1