Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I am a total ID/Investigation Discovery Channel addict and don't get me started on how much I watch Snapped on Oxygen

Fellow addict here.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I also post under topics for other shows but, heh heh, I have rather an eclectic list of shows that I watch on a regular basis:

• Anything paranormal, especially The Dead Files, my favorite, but also Ghost Adventures, among others
  • I am a total ID/Investigation Discovery Channel addict and don't get me started on how much I watch Snapped on Oxygen
  • Love cooking shows especially those shown on Saturdays on public television but will watch a bit of Food Network
  • Truly hope Leah Remini's show about Scientology returns

I love Leah Remini--I was at the IRS during the earlier battles in the early 80's with Scientology.  Fortunately, I didn't work in a place that had many, if any, of them so I never had to deal with it except we used to have lots of meetings about them.

I used to visit my mom's cousins in the Springs so I am really hooked on Joe Kenda's shows.  I think I have memorized all the episodes of Snapped and Forensic Files.  There used to be something called City Confidential that was also good. 

I guess I am still celebrating Independence Day with my breakfast---fresh strawberries and blueberries with plain yogurt over grapenuts.   I actually prefer fresh peaches and yogurt with my grapenuts more, but I had a few  strawberries and blueberries left over from last night's patriotic dessert.  

• Love 3

Leah is wonderful. Not only getting away from scientology, but shining a light on it. I can't capitalize the S because it doesn't deserve it.

I know some people don't like Kenda, but I am mesmerized. But then I like to hear stories from people who have life experience. I can sit and listen, and learn.

Twopper, laughing at the red, white and blue breakfast. :)

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, nokat said:

I know who to call if I need to hide a body. 

I've been bingeing "See No Evil" . . . which shows how CCTV is being used to track down clues, witnesses, and perpetrators.

My most-impressed moment was when a camera across the street from where the car of someone who was missing pulled into a parking lot.  Someone got out of the driver's seat, and bent over for a few seconds before closing the door and walking away.  It was assumed that it was the missing person, but closer analysis showed that the person who got out was about a foot taller than her (as judged by their standing next to the car).  

It turned out that the pause and bending over was done so that he could move the seat all the way forward, where the shorter missing woman would have used it for driving.  The perpetrator - her step-father - had apparently watched enough crime shows that HE knew that it's always a giveaway when the driver's seat is in the wrong position.

I love this stuff!

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I used to visit my mom's cousins in the Springs so I am really hooked on Joe Kenda's shows.  I think I have memorized all the episodes of Snapped and Forensic Files.  There used to be something called City Confidential that was also good. 

I've also watched way more Snapped that I'd admit to except maybe under oath. And I used to be a steady ID channel viewer although lately not so much. However, I am a big Kenda fan. Even paid full price ($14) for the Kindle edition of his book soon after it was published in 2017. 

As to City Confidential, The Justice Network often airs repeats of that, and other good old true crime shows. Including Dr G, Medical Examiner, and Body of Evidence, and Cold Case Files and the late great Dominick Dunne's Power, Privilege and Justice. It's an over the air sub-channel in many markets. That's how it started in my area, and since I have a TV antenna I was able to get it. Now it's also in my Xfinity cable channel lineup. 

There's another channel, Escape, that's also an over the air subchannel and has lately joined my Xfinity lineup too. They air a lot of repeats of TV shows like Without a Trace, and movies, and have lately been airing a lot of Forensic Files, as well as American Greed repeats. Their weeknight lineup is heavy on the old FBI Files series.

I don't know about the ID channel. I'm not a fan of some of their recent series. Well, TBH i'm not as heavily into the whole true crime thing as I used to be. Now I mix it up with DIY shows, and have lately gotten into some of the Science Channel things like Mysteries of the Abandoned

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've been bingeing "See No Evil

This is a favorite of mine. I know not everyone is a fan of the cameras everywhere, but when they help solve a crime...

I also like that DNA from decades ago can solve a crime. Cold cases that never die. Even if the person doesn't do time, it is still is satisfying to shine a light on someone, and say they are the evil person who did this.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, nokat said:

This is a favorite of mine. I know not everyone is a fan of the cameras everywhere, but when they help solve a crime...

Given that we are not criminals, we don't mind the cameras.  We tend to do things like waving or mugging at the cameras, or I'll reach over and rub my hubby's backside when I know the camera is behind us.  My only fear is that when they're showing videos from 5 minutes before a murderer enters a Walmart, they're going to show us and our shenanigans on "See No Evil."  LOL.

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've been bingeing "See No Evil" . . . which shows how CCTV is being used to track down clues, witnesses, and perpetrators.

My most-impressed moment was when a camera across the street from where the car of someone who was missing pulled into a parking lot.  Someone got out of the driver's seat, and bent over for a few seconds before closing the door and walking away.  It was assumed that it was the missing person, but closer analysis showed that the person who got out was about a foot taller than her (as judged by their standing next to the car).  

It turned out that the pause and bending over was done so that he could move the seat all the way forward, where the shorter missing woman would have used it for driving.  The perpetrator - her step-father - had apparently watched enough crime shows that HE knew that it's always a giveaway when the driver's seat is in the wrong position.

I love this stuff!

See No Evil is my favorite ID show!  I also love Disappeared, although I don't like not knowing what happened to most of these people.  And ID is my favorite channel.🙂

• Love 3
Just now, AZChristian said:

My only fear is that when they're showing videos from 5 minutes before a murderer enters a Walmart, they're going to show us and our shenanigans on "See No Evil."  LOL.

And, I've noticed from all my true crime show watching, that those Walmart surveillance videos are almost always very high quality. So your shenanigans will be very clear on camera. 🤣

• LOL 4

I love that they are using genealogy postings to find the DNA matches of relatives. I’ve got a kit ready to do that I hope to find long lost half siblings, but a serial killer would be interesting too. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

On the subject of the ID Channel (sort of): If any of you guys have Xfinity and are enjoying WE and ID Channel, whatever you do, do NOT change your current Xfinity plan or you will lose them. I called a few weeks ago in an effort to get the cable bill down and to get rid of the phone number I have (haven't had a physical landline phone in the house in four years), and was told any changes they made to my plan would result in the loss of those two channels. Apparently, Comcrap and those networks couldn't settle on a financial agreement and Comcrap dropped them from the Xfinity line up. They explained that I was "grandfathered" in because I'd already had the channels.

5 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

On the subject of the ID Channel (sort of): If any of you guys have Xfinity and are enjoying WE and ID Channel, whatever you do, do NOT change your current Xfinity plan or you will lose them. I called a few weeks ago in an effort to get the cable bill down and to get rid of the phone number I have (haven't had a physical landline phone in the house in four years), and was told any changes they made to my plan would result in the loss of those two channels. Apparently, Comcrap and those networks couldn't settle on a financial agreement and Comcrap dropped them from the Xfinity line up. They explained that I was "grandfathered" in because I'd already had the channels.

Oh no!   I've had Comcast for at least 20 years but would drop them in a second if they tried to take away my ID!

2 minutes ago, Friday said:

I've had Comcast for at least 20 years but would drop them in a second if they tried to take away my ID!

No worries. They won't drop it if you still have it. But if you want to save any money, don't change your plan or they will drop it. Luckily the rep I talked to gave me the heads up—my friends didn't have the same rep and, unlike me, are now saving money but don't have ID or WE.

12 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

No worries. They won't drop it if you still have it. But if you want to save any money, don't change your plan or they will drop it. Luckily the rep I talked to gave me the heads up—my friends didn't have the same rep and, unlike me, are now saving money but don't have ID or WE.

Thanks, I appreciate the heads-up!

Camera at Target: why is she buying that much toilet paper? More chocolate? Why isn't she buying bleach? Nooo, not the kitchen aisle. Do we really need that?

• Love 1

The last page of this thread is priceless.  Six years ago, when my husband turned 70, I said enough (he traveled all the time) and he finally retired.  He has since made it his almost full time life mission to watch every police, medical and investigative series he missed while working. He is the only person in our house who has ever watched anything on WE or UP.   I will fill him in the few he may have missed.  FWIW, I had never heard of Forensic Files until four and a half years ago.   The dulcet tones and precise pentameter of each line of the narration saved my sanity during that tough time.  

See you all next January.  ☺️

• Love 8
1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

The last page of this thread is priceless.  Six years ago, when my husband turned 70, I said enough (he traveled all the time) and he finally retired.  He has since made it his almost full time life mission to watch every police, medical and investigative series he missed while working. He is the only person in our house who has ever watched anything on WE or UP.   I will fill him in the few he may have missed.  FWIW, I had never heard of Forensic Files until four and a half years ago.   The dulcet tones and precise pentameter of each line of the narration saved my sanity during that tough time. 

See you all next January.  ☺️

Fonfereksglen, I certainly hope we'll see you in a year.  Your husband sounds like my kind of guy.

• Love 1

Feels like I need to put this here. I use a rollator, and can move pretty well with it, but I'm still wobbly. I want to thank the very many drivers who slow down, and see me, and let me complete a crossing. Your thoughtfulness is recognized and appreciated. You might also get to giggle at me trotting across the road. ;)

I will not tell any of you about the grapes.

• Love 3

On the Casting FB page, they were asking for applicants for Season 8, so I'm hoping they're filming.     Some of the poundticipants might be a waste of resources, because they don't even try, but then you get some of the success stories that might help someone else decide to change too.  

• Love 2

On the viewing and discussion FB page, Alicia K and Tamy Lynn have been posting that they have updates that are supposed to air this year, but since TLC ended the season last week, their WATN episodes will probably be pushed to next year.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, ProTourist said:

Alicia K and Tamy Lynn have been posting that they have updates that are supposed to air this year, but since TLC ended the season last week, their WATN episodes will probably be pushed to next year.

Oh, good because that'll give me the time I need to google them to find out who they are.

giphy.gif

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Oh, good because that'll give me the time I need to google them to find out who they are.

giphy.gif

I inadvertently deleted "Tamy Lyn" and I never got to watch it.  It never repeated.  Something to look for, but it seems that TLC isn't even airing repeats.  Love my true-crime shows, and "Law and Order"; mothership and spinoffs, which I've watched since 1991, but "90-day-Fiancee" does nothing for me...….errrrrgggg.

• Love 1
On 7/7/2019 at 8:00 PM, Giant Misfit said:

giphy.gif

I remember Alicia because people were commenting that she didn’t really have any drama.  I seem to recall that they lived in a nice place and appeared to be better educated than many of the poundticipants.  

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

I inadvertently deleted "Tamy Lyn" and I never got to watch it.  It never repeated.  Something to look for, but it seems that TLC isn't even airing repeats.

Any of the episodes can be watched at any time via TLC's website or their TLC Go app. The episodes can be unlocked and watched at no charge by signing in with one's television provider. Here is Tamy Lyn:

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life/full-episodes/tamy-lyns-story

And here is Alicia:

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life/full-episodes/alicias-story

For those of us who don't have a television provider (like me) all the episodes are available on Amazon for $2.99 each (that's purchase, not rental). Here is season six, which contains both Tamy Lyn and Alicia:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B078SLBGDY

P.S. I'm going to miss you all tonight -- our first Wednesday night of 2019 without a live chat!

giphy.gif

• Love 3

In this steamy, hot summer weather I've been taking refuge in watching ice cream mukbangers on YouTube. It's surprisingly satisfying (to me) to watch someone eat mass quantities of ice cream, while I manage with my occasional scoop of vanilla to hold down the carbs. Here's a good one:

And this one, if you like ice cream novelties:

And this fellow, who bakes his own apple pie from scratch to eat along with his ice cream:

<sigh>

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, ProTourist said:

P.S. I'm going to miss you all tonight -- our first Wednesday night of 2019 without a live chat!

so that you don't have to quit cold turkey I will report that my eating habit at lunch was a taco salad with chicken followed by a handful of ranier cherries.      Tonight is probably salmon with asparagus and squash.   Maybe lime sherbet and PF milano cookies for dessert.   Or watermelon instead.   So much food, so little time.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Twopper said:

so that you don't have to quit cold turkey I will report that my eating habit at lunch was a taco salad with chicken followed by a handful of ranier cherries.      Tonight is probably salmon with asparagus and squash.   Maybe lime sherbet and PF milano cookies for dessert.   Or watermelon instead.   So much food, so little time.

I haven't started my eating habit for the day (I do intermittent fasting and don't eat until 2 p.m.), but it's going to be a Dave's Killer Boomin' Berry Bagel with peanut butter and jelly, some fresh blueberries, strawberries, cotton candy grapes, and coffee.

• Love 3

I'm at work so my eating habit is always the same: two hard boiled eggs and a home baked naan, with a cup of tea, for breakfast. A banana at about 11. Yogurt at about 12:30, and a granola bar sometime in the afternoon. Tonight I will probably have a lean cuisine since I am out of salad greens. And the yummy tuna/chickpea salad I made a coupe of days ago. I baked this past weekend, white chocolate chip and cranberry cookies, and a lemon bundt cake, but I gave most of it to my brother, who is accepting payment in the form of baked goods for his help with a plumbing problem I had a few weeks back.

Sigh. I'm going to miss live chat!

• Love 3

Everyone's meals sound terrific!

My breakfast was french toast with turkey sausage, and iced coffee.

Tonight I won't have opportunity to eat until after 10pm, which means I may skip it. If I do decide to eat, I've told myself it must be vegetables, such as a veggie wrap. Have not been getting enough fruits and vegetables lately. [My favorite diner closed!]

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ProTourist said:

In this steamy, hot summer weather I've been taking refuge in watching ice cream mukbangers on YouTube. It's surprisingly satisfying (to me) to watch someone eat mass quantities of ice cream, while I manage with my occasional scoop of vanilla to hold down the carbs. Here's a good one:

And this one, if you like ice cream novelties:

And this fellow, who bakes his own apple pie from scratch to eat along with his ice cream:

<sigh>

I love it...."hold down the carbs!"  Will miss you guys on live chat!

By the way of Small Talk:  my heart is set on 2 special-needs kitties at my local shelter (eye issues).  My husband grumbled about "more of these damned tail-up cats!"  If you know cats, what a compliment!

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Sigh. I'm going to miss live chat!

Wait a minute.....what? Have things changed??

ETA: oh, I see. No more new shows. *sniff*

Just for the record, my eating habit tonight was some scrambled eggs and later, yogurt, granola and some blueberries. 

See you all around the forums!

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Love 6

I was a little nervous there, I thought they may have banned live chat!

Now I don't know what to watch tonight....maybe stupid Masterchef 

Although, I have been re watching "Cheers" on Netflix and it is still as hilarious today as it was 30 years ago!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

No, its just that the season is over! Are we live chatting reruns? (I would be totally down for such an eventuality)

I'd love that but I don't even see reruns here.....

4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

No, its just that the season is over! Are we live chatting reruns? (I would be totally down for such an eventuality)

3 hours ago, Carboncat said:

I'd love that but I don't even see reruns here.....

I'd love to do a 'summer reruns' topic, which could extend into the fall, where we'd pick one episode for each week and live chat. But since TLC doesn't seem to be broadcasting any reruns of our show, we might have to watch them online, unless we've saved recordings. I suppose we'd have to start by choosing which episodes we want to 'rerun' and when. Anyone else like this idea?

My only problem is that I'm taking IT courses Monday and Wednesday evenings now, for the rest of July and August, so if we kept to the Wednesday evening schedule I could not join in live. 😢

• Love 3
4 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Although, I have been re watching "Cheers" on Netflix and it is still as hilarious today as it was 30 years ago!

Since you have NetFlix -- have you watched "The Crown" yet? I can recommend it whole-heartedly, both seasons. The third season should be released some time later this year. I can also recommend "Black Mirror."

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

I was a little nervous there, I thought they may have banned live chat!

Oh, god I gave up Masterchef years ago! You are a stalwart! 

I re-watch "The Great British Baking Show" on netflix, over and over. Given the current state of things its pleasant to see kind and gentle people, baking. 

I also LOVE "The Casketeers", the one about the Maori funeral directors in New Zealand. It is delightful-I know right?-but it is. The people are so lovely, and its actually also really funny. I just watched "The Last Czars" which was meh. I thought "Nicholas and Alexandra" was better. But this did provide a some color, and also threw in the Anastasia mystery. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I re-watch "The Great British Baking Show" on netflix, over and over. Given the current state of things its pleasant to see kind and gentle people, baking. 

I also LOVE "The Casketeers", the one about the Maori funeral directors in New Zealand. It is delightful-I know right?-but it is.

I just added Casketeers to my queue.  Glad to know that someone whose opinion I respect likes it!  I'll get to it when I finish Longmire.  

I also watch GBBS . . . our local PBS station is rerunning an earlier season, and it's just as good the second time around.

• Love 3

@AZChristian, I think you'll enjoy it. Its a window to Maori culture we don't often see. And Francis and his team are really lovely people. I know that you are a spiritual person-I think you will be impressed! The stories of the various funerals are balanced by amusing slices of life--Francis and his leaf blowers, for instance. I loved every single person. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Its a window to Maori culture we don't often see.

I'll say, and I've been to New Zealand as a tourist, and learned a lot about Maori culture while there. Sounds interesting. Speaking of Maori culture, has anyone else here seen the movie Whale Rider? I've seen it a few times; highly recommended.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I also LOVE "The Casketeers", the one about the Maori funeral directors in New Zealand. It is delightful-I know right?-but it is. The people are so lovely, and its actually also really funny. I just watched "The Last Czars" which was meh. I thought "Nicholas and Alexandra" was better. But this did provide a some color, and also threw in the Anastasia mystery. 

Thanks, I added it (The Casketeers) to my watch list too.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Ok, I've watched a couple of episodes. They are absolutely lovely! Thanks for the tip!

I have Acorn and have been obsessed with the Aussie and NZ shows, and this is perfect!

Isn't it great? I love Francis. He's so sweet. He has his little idiosyncrasies but he's so genuinely kind. I love them all, tbh. I am looking forward to chatting with you, @AZChristian, and @Friday in the Casketeers forum!

@OoogleEyes, I loved "The Almighty Johnsons" a NZ show about a family of brothers who happen to be Norse gods. It was just wonderful, watched the whole series twice. Its gone from Netflix now, alas. Maybe you can find it on Acorn!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Isn't it great? I love Francis. He's so sweet. He has his little idiosyncrasies but he's so genuinely kind. I love them all, tbh. I am looking forward to chatting with you, @AZChristian, and @Friday in the Casketeers forum!

@OoogleEyes, I loved "The Almighty Johnsons" a NZ show about a family of brothers who happen to be Norse gods. It was just wonderful, watched the whole series twice. Its gone from Netflix now, alas. Maybe you can find it on Acorn!

Oh, I too loved The Almighty Johnsons!

Has anyone watched 800 Words, I believe it was called? I saw it on demand, watched the first episode then realized that was the only one for free 😑😒

• Love 1
15 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

Has anyone watched 800 Words, I believe it was called? I saw it on demand, watched the first episode then realized that was the only one for free 😑😒

Oh yes, another good one! Its on Acorn  and I believe we're up to Season 3.

I just finished Straight Forward which was filmed in NZ. It makes me want to say "Sit down and shut up New Zealand,  and quit being so drop dead gorgeous!"

• Love 2

Dis a bad sitshuashun--   I just brought figs home from the farmer's market.   They are another gateway fruit---actually I think they are worse than grapes.   Help!!!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1