Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Maybe fresh, in season peaches should be #1 on the "Fruit of Doom" scale

Peach pie, peach cobbler. Peach juice running down your chin.  It's an evil fruit.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Hellga said:

Not here... here some early varieties have started ripening, but peaches really won't be really in season for another couple weeks.  And then YES, I will eat them.  Last year, I empirically determined that the most peaches I can eat in one sitting is eight.  I could probably push myself some more, but then it would be a while before I could eat another peach without disgust, and at eight I can eat them every day, pretty much.  I went to an orchard and gathered some 15 pounds of peaches so I needed to eat a lot of them every day. 🙂   This year I will try to control my peach-picking better, but it's so hard to resist when there are delicious peaches everywhere around, and so many different varieties, so I have to get a few of each... 

If you'd be interested in watching someone eat as many fresh, ripe peaches as he possibly can, then here you go:

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Maybe fresh, in season peaches should be #1 on the "Fruit of Doom" scale 

Possibly.  I was horrified to realize how many calories were in my Grapenuts with fresh peaches and yogurt mix.    I can see why Dr N limits fruit on a 1200 calorie diet---there really isn't much room for it.

(edited)

Here is a Fruit of Doom list by sugar content, per 100 grams.

https://tools.myfooddata.com/nutrient-ranking-tool.php?nutrient=Sugar&foodgroup=Fruits&sortby=Highest&servsize=100g&list=Simple&spices=No

No surprise, dried fruit wins - they are basically sugar bombs.  I love me some dried pineapple, but I do realize it's pretty much natural sugar candy. 

Grapes are indeed DOOOM because they have some of the highest sugar content of all the fresh fruit... and peaches - good news for the peach lovers among us - are relatively innocent.  Their addictiveness, though, makes them very, very dangerous.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1
(edited)

Re:  the bed flying off the pickup in the Vianey and Allen episode, and weird stuff in the road.  I listen to newsradio "traffic on the eights" on my way to work.  Just gotta share this..... Yesterday "Friday Lite" commute was snarled by massive dump of toilet paper rolls on southbound 101 from Candlestick (Go Giants!) to Brisbane at 7:00 am.  Cars were "rolling" over them, but still caused backup.  My all-time fave was a massive spill of creamed corn on the Dublin Grade, maybe 20 years ago.

Edited by Carboncat
rembered something
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

Here is a Fruit of Doom list by sugar content, per 100 grams.

https://tools.myfooddata.com/nutrient-ranking-tool.php?nutrient=Sugar&foodgroup=Fruits&sortby=Highest&servsize=100g&list=Simple&spices=No

No surprise, dried fruit wins - they are basically sugar bombs.  I love me some dried pineapple, but I do realize it's pretty much natural sugar candy. 

Grapes are indeed DOOOM because they have some of the highest sugar content of all the fresh fruit... and peaches - good news for the peach lovers among us - are relatively innocent.  Their addictiveness, though, makes them very, very dangerous.

Oh, ripe, juicy PEACHES!  I've been disappointed lately,  seems like they breed them for hardiness in shipping rather than taste...nothing like a juicy sweet peach under the fuzzy skin when you bite it.  Also mangos;  a fruit I've heard is best eaten in the bathtub.

v

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Carboncat said:

Oh, ripe, juicy PEACHES!  I've been disappointed lately,  seems like they breed them for hardiness in shipping rather than taste...nothing like a juicy sweet peach under the fuzzy skin when you bite it.  Also mangos;  a fruit I've heard is best eaten in the bathtub.

I only buy peaches from the stores if they are local - many local supermarkets will have a separate stand for local produce, marked as such.  Otherwise, I buy them from the farms - the nearest one is about 20 minutes drive from my home. I am lucky to live in a peach-producing state, when I was young I didn't like peaches and didn't see why people raved about them, because all we had were store-bought peaches that had all the taste and texture of wet cardboard.  And then I moved to New Jersey in July 2007, and 2007 was bumper year for peaches.  Many people at work were bringing peaches from their trees because they already froze and canned as many as they could possibly want... that's when I learned that peaches are, in fact, delicious. 

My Mom called me last night to say that cucumbers have started to ripen like crazy... I wish I were closer than 1300 miles away - I love cucumbers, but only small pickling varieties, and only when fresh-picked.  I have not had any luck sourcing good cucumbers here in New York...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I only buy peaches from the stores if they are local - many local supermarkets will have a separate stand for local produce, marked as such.  Otherwise, I buy them from the farms - the nearest one is about 20 minutes drive from my home. I am lucky to live in a peach-producing state, when I was young I didn't like peaches and didn't see why people raved about them, because all we had were store-bought peaches that had all the taste and texture of wet cardboard.  And then I moved to New Jersey in July 2007, and 2007 was bumper year for peaches.  Many people at work were bringing peaches from their trees because they already froze and canned as many as they could possibly want... that's when I learned that peaches are, in fact, delicious. 

My Mom called me last night to say that cucumbers have started to ripen like crazy... I wish I were closer than 1300 miles away - I love cucumbers, but only small pickling varieties, and only when fresh-picked.  I have not had any luck sourcing good cucumbers here in New York...

Yes!  When we lived in Fresno we used to drive to farms to buy produce, including heavenly peaches.  My grandmother used to make dinner from farm-fresh tomato, red onion and cucumber sandwiches from farms in Clovis, outside city limits.  Great when temps are 110 plus.  Also the little 6 oz coke bottles,ice cold,  guess I'm dating myself here.

Edited by Carboncat
remembered something
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

Also the little 6 oz coke bottles,ice cold,  guess I'm dating myself here.

The first time I tried to drink a king size coke, it was too much for me.  I think I was in first or second grade.  Now they make 2 liter bottles, and some people on this show drink several of them in a day.   I drank a king size one today with what passed for my lunch, but at least it was from Mexico so it didn't have corn syrup in it.

• Love 2

As kids, my brother and I spent about 2 summer months with our grandparents in Fresno.  They had metal drainboard/sink and cabinets, painted white.  Very 30's.  My granddad was lucky to have work in the Depression with Southern Pacific.  They bought the house cash for $1000.  I used to make papyrus paper and paint on it as a kid from the papyrus plants they kept.

Seen the house on Google---scary!  and sad.  Miss the percolator in the morning.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

The first time I tried to drink a king size coke, it was too much for me.  I think I was in first or second grade.  Now they make 2 liter bottles, and some people on this show drink several of them in a day.   I drank a king size one today with what passed for my lunch, but at least it was from Mexico so it didn't have corn syrup in it.

In the early 80's they made "Jolt" cola which proudly proclaimed on the can "All the sugar and twice the caffeine!"  I used to obstentationly drink it at the register of the natural foods store/produce market I managed in 1983.

• LOL 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Hellga said:

I love me some dried pineapple, but I do realize it's pretty much natural sugar candy.

Yum, natural sugar candy. We don't need no stinkin sugar free jam.
 I may have eaten eleven pounds of cherries, but who is counting? Looks at grocery receipts. Good Lord, goes into fruit rehab. 

Edited by nokat
Actually looked at how many pounds of cherries I ate.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I also have to say it, because it's true, ow ma lawg. No huge lymphademas, just a knee that said I worked for sixty years, isn't that enough? So which replacement first? Hip or knee?

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, nokat said:

I also have to say it, because it's true, ow ma lawg. No huge lymphademas, just a knee that said I worked for sixty years, isn't that enough? So which replacement first? Hip or knee?

I have been told the hip hurts more. I have a lot of older customers and they talk. I was surprised at the different results people have from knee replacement they always seem to lose range of motion but say the reduction in pain is worth it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I have been told the hip hurts more. I have a lot of older customers and they talk. I was surprised at the different results people have from knee replacement they always seem to lose range of motion but say the reduction in pain is worth it.

I can put both off for a few years. My mom's roommate at the physical therapy place was recovering from a knee replacement. I hear snaps, crackles and pops, but I can still move pretty well.

• Love 2

All this peach talk means I need to make a trip to a nearby orchard this afternoon.

Fresh peaches all by themselves. In pies, cobblers, and cakes. A batch of 🍑 preserves. Grilled peaches in a salad. Peach ice cream. We have one of those old-fashioned hand crank ice cream makers. I figure I burn up enough calories cranking it to cover the calories I consume in ice cream.

And Bellinis. Bellinis made with fresh peach purée are the best!

• Love 7
(edited)
15 hours ago, nokat said:

Yum, natural sugar candy. We don't need no stinkin sugar free jam. 

What we don't need is nasty artificial sweeteners.   For one, high potency of artificial sweeteners has potential to change taste perceptions - so someone who uses a lot of artificial sweeteners might no longer find fruit enjoyable or find vegetables horrible.   For the other, there are some studies linking saccharine with cancer and aspartame with neurological deficits, for example.  While none of them are substantial, it's hard to do studies on that (some would be downright unethical) so I personally would rather stick to natural sugar (no matter if it is cane or beet) and honey.  I guess the jury is still out on the fructose, too - I don't necessarily shy away from high-fructose corn syrup but I do try to minimize it.  I try to control my sugar intake period.

Speaking of jam and sugar - my Mom says that when she was little, her Grandmother scoffed at the idea of making jams and preferred to dry fruit and berries instead, and then use dried fruit for desserts.  My Great-grandmother (after whom I was named) was one fierce lady (all 4'11" of her) and she was so used to living on a nearly self-sufficient farmstead, the idea of wasting money on something like sugar was foreign to her. 

And I have a confession:  I bought a fruit (of course!) tart on Friday with the intent of eating it that night.  It's now Sunday afternoon and I just realized it's still in my fridge.   I failed all the poundticipants with that one move - those who succeeded when I bought it, and those who failed when I forgot about it for two days! 🙂

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, nokat said:

Hip replacements are easier to recover from - surprising, but all the literature and conversations with physical therapists and orthopedic nurses seem to agree.  And there is definitely more pain med consumption after knee replacements vs. hip replacements.  

Neither is a piece of cake, though, and it really all comes down to your individual characteristics.  What is wrong and how bad it is.  Only an honest conversation between you and your surgeon can really tell you what to expect.  

Spoiler

My Mom just had her knee replacement done on May 23, so I have been doing a lot of research before and after her surgery, especially during the three weeks I was there with her helping her out.  It seems like the highest correlation between how much pain you will have after surgery is with the level of pain you had before surgery.  The more pain you had before, the more you will have after.  The worse your range of motion was prior to surgery, the worse it will be after surgery.  But as long as you stick with the exercises - even if you are howling in pain with tears streaming down your face - you will be OK.  My Mom now has range of motion of a healthy person - she can bend her leg 130 degrees and straighten to 0 - but she had waited too long to do her surgery (I wish she had it in September 2018 as we originally planned!  but the doctor started raising that conversation with her about 8 years ago) so her bone has weakened so she had to use a walker for six weeks and even now she has to use a crutch when walking, say, from the kitchen to the bedroom (in the kitchen itself she can manage without assistive devices).  She is still in quite a bit of pain, though pain medications work (she went off the heavy stuff after two and a half weeks but she has to use mild ones still).  In short, it's OK to wait - it's a major decision - but don't wait past the point where your recovery will become more complicated... 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, nokat said:

Wants to know how to do that. Lifts glass in a toast.

Put it next to me at register with label facing out.  This was a small mom&pop store in Berkeley

CA where we sold then-rare organic produce.  The main customer base were aging hippies, and cane sugar was a big no-no.  Carob was in.  Look, I just worked there.  My biggest hit at an employee potluck was an Armenian Lamb stew which I cooked on the ancient stove in the back room.  I actually attended UC Berkeley for a year and a half, majoring in Medieval European History.  Gosh if I had that degree now! (snark!).

I dropped out;  the fees per quarter ($78,  there was no tuition) and my apartment rent of $225/month seemed too oppressive.  If I knew then what I know now...…..

On the other hand,  been married 28 years, raised 2 great kids, own my own house, am adopting 2 adorable special-needs kitties Friday morning,  all without a B.A.  I've been blessed;  and I get to snark and share with you guys!  Life is good, and I'm going to have some fruit now!  Intoxicating Meaty  Smells!  Was totally great over Rice Pilaf!

Edited by Carboncat
remembered something
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Hellga said:

Hip replacements are easier to recover from - surprising, but all the literature and conversations with physical therapists and orthopedic nurses seem to agree.  And there is definitely more pain med consumption after knee replacements vs. hip replacements.  

Neither is a piece of cake, though, and it really all comes down to your individual characteristics.  What is wrong and how bad it is.  Only an honest conversation between you and your surgeon can really tell you what to expect.  

Hide contents

My Mom just had her knee replacement done on May 23, so I have been doing a lot of research before and after her surgery, especially during the three weeks I was there with her helping her out.  It seems like the highest correlation between how much pain you will have after surgery is with the level of pain you had before surgery.  The more pain you had before, the more you will have after.  The worse your range of motion was prior to surgery, the worse it will be after surgery.  But as long as you stick with the exercises - even if you are howling in pain with tears streaming down your face - you will be OK.  My Mom now has range of motion of a healthy person - she can bend her leg 130 degrees and straighten to 0 - but she had waited too long to do her surgery (I wish she had it in September 2018 as we originally planned!  but the doctor started raising that conversation with her about 8 years ago) so her bone has weakened so she had to use a walker for six weeks and even now she has to use a crutch when walking, say, from the kitchen to the bedroom (in the kitchen itself she can manage without assistive devices).  She is still in quite a bit of pain, though pain medications work (she went off the heavy stuff after two and a half weeks but she has to use mild ones still).  In short, it's OK to wait - it's a major decision - but don't wait past the point where your recovery will become more complicated... 

Sunday prayers (no snark) to your mom for recovery!

(edited)

Sunday prayers (no snark) to your mom for recovery!

Thank you!   We are hoping that by late September she will be well enough to go on a road trip through North Carolina and South Carolina for her birthday.  Neither of us have visited them in the past, and I heard a lot of good things about Charleston and Asheville especially.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate, I would hate to end up in the middle of a hurricane.

On the other hand,  been married 28 years, raised 2 great kids, own my own house, am adopting 2 adorable special-needs kitties Friday morning,  all without a B.A.

A degree is a tool, but not the only tool in the toolbox.  I don't agree with the current push of college on everyone, whether it will be of any value to them or not.  I respect a good plumber, gardener or cook more than some liberal arts major who cannot find employment even tangentially related to their field of study and who only went to college because it was a thing to do, not because they had any true passion for any subject and declared an "easy" major when they had to.  I personally enjoyed school and I have two graduate degrees to show for that, but mine were practical and did lead to a good career!

Edited by Hellga
24 minutes ago, Hellga said:

A degree is a tool, but not the only tool in the toolbox.  I don't agree with the current push of college on everyone, whether it will be of any value to them or not.  I respect a good plumber, gardener or cook more than some liberal arts major who cannot find employment even tangentially related to their field of study and who only went to college because it was a thing to do, not because they had any true passion for any subject and declared an "easy" major when they had to.

There are a lot of doors that are closed without a degree. I've worked in IT over thirty years, and there are many jobs that won't interview me, no matter my abilities, because I don't have a degree (in any subject). Also, this spring I was applying for a training grant, to take classes to expand my skills. I was limited to one IT program (end user support) because it was the only one that did not require a degree. The systems analyst, network administrator, and web developer programs all required a minimum of an associates degree, because they know the employers require it, and their goal is to help people get jobs. The market for tech jobs did not used to be this way thirty to forty years ago -- even programmers only needed technical training -- but that's the way it is now.

1 hour ago, ProTourist said:

There are a lot of doors that are closed without a degree. I've worked in IT over thirty years, and there are many jobs that won't interview me, no matter my abilities, because I don't have a degree (in any subject). Also, this spring I was applying for a training grant, to take classes to expand my skills. I was limited to one IT program (end user support) because it was the only one that did not require a degree. The systems analyst, network administrator, and web developer programs all required a minimum of an associates degree, because they know the employers require it, and their goal is to help people get jobs. The market for tech jobs did not used to be this way thirty to forty years ago -- even programmers only needed technical training -- but that's the way it is now.rb

That doors are closed is unfortunately true. Young people go into horrible debt these days. Even then, no job is guaranteed.

I did tech, and have a B.S. degree, which is not necessary for what I did. IT is especially bad. They want ten years experience in something only out for six months. It's ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, nokat said:

I did tech, and have a B.S. degree, which is not necessary for what I did. IT is especially bad. They want ten years experience in something only out for six months. It's ridiculous.

Yes, indeed. I can remember a job application I submitted some time in the past year. It asked if the candidate had at least five years of experience with a version of the Mac operating system that had only been out for two or three years. Some of these hiring managers don't have a clue.

2 hours ago, ProTourist said:

There are a lot of doors that are closed without a degree. I've worked in IT over thirty years, and there are many jobs that won't interview me, no matter my abilities, because I don't have a degree (in any subject). Also, this spring I was applying for a training grant, to take classes to expand my skills. I was limited to one IT program (end user support) because it was the only one that did not require a degree. The systems analyst, network administrator, and web developer programs all required a minimum of an associates degree, because they know the employers require it, and their goal is to help people get jobs. The market for tech jobs did not used to be this way thirty to forty years ago -- even programmers only needed technical training -- but that's the way it is now.

Of course, back in the day, we rolled our eyes at "biz/ad" and related majors.  We liberal arts majors were at college to broaden our minds, become educated etc...

I'm most proud of finishing a 4-year union Carpenter apprenticeship with Journeyman certificate.

My own son, who is brilliant in physics and very smart, did not have the high school grades required for university upon graduation.  To be honest, it was a great relief to me when he went to community college;  we were coming off 2 years unemployment 2009-2011 and 2 attempted foreclosures.  He later did a stint in the Marines,  I am so glad he (or we) don't have college debt!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

Of course, back in the day, we rolled our eyes at "biz/ad" and related majors.  We liberal arts majors were at college to broaden our minds, become educated etc...

I'm most proud of finishing a 4-year union Carpenter apprenticeship with Journeyman certificate.

My own son, who is brilliant in physics and very smart, did not have the high school grades required for university upon graduation.  To be honest, it was a great relief to me when he went to community college;  we were coming off 2 years unemployment 2009-2011 and 2 attempted foreclosures.  He later did a stint in the Marines,  I am so glad he (or we) don't have college debt!

We biz people had to take art/history/literature/calculus/statistics. We may have partied a bit more.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ProTourist said:

Yes, indeed. I can remember a job application I submitted some time in the past year. It asked if the candidate had at least five years of experience with a version of the Mac operating system that had only been out for two or three years. Some of these hiring managers don't have a clue.

Oh gosh, how insane!  When kids were in school was total school volunteer, taking advantage of union layoffs to help at school.  Was PTA president, site council etc.  not bragging ,just loved it and was fortunate to be able to do it.  I remember thinking I might like to teach shop, but the reality of the B.A. and teacher credentials stopped me cold.

My son's original career goal was to be a commercial airline pilot.  Dad put in 37 years with United as mechanic.  Bankruptcy screwed the pension (Oops sorry, forget the contract, no pension!.... Can I get my 37 years back?)   but they always wanted a 4-year college degree.  Apparently now they might waive that.  He has private pilot's licence and military experience.  Baby boomer pilots are retiring in droves,,and they need young folks.

Now he's applied to become police officer!  Can't he work at the aquarium, or someplace safe!

• Love 1

My brother came out of Vietnam with teletype repair skills. Went to work immediately for RCA. When they went computerized, they sent him for training on the ground floor. 20 years later he’s teaching college computer graduates. Every over year his company got bought out any another computer company and he survived every downsizing. He’s retired now, but still never got a degree. 

The reason he ended up in repair school in the Air Force is that they sent him to typist school, but he’d shot off the tip of his little finger as a kid with a BB gun. Couldn’t type fast enough like that. Best thing that every happened to him. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

My brother came out of Vietnam with teletype repair skills. Went to work immediately for RCA. When they went computerized, they sent him for training on the ground floor. 20 years later he’s teaching college computer graduates. Every over year his company got bought out any another computer company and he survived every downsizing. He’s retired now, but still never got a degree. 

The reason he ended up in repair school in the Air Force is that they sent him to typist school, but he’d shot off the tip of his little finger as a kid with a BB gun. Couldn’t type fast enough like that. Best thing that every happened to him. 

Yay for him!  Most of the Vietnam vets I knew ended up at the Post Office.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:00 PM, Carboncat said:

Re:  the bed flying off the pickup in the Vianey and Allen episode, and weird stuff in the road.  I listen to newsradio "traffic on the eights" on my way to work.  Just gotta share this..... Yesterday "Friday Lite" commute was snarled by massive dump of toilet paper rolls on southbound 101 from Candlestick (Go Giants!) to Brisbane at 7:00 am.  Cars were "rolling" over them, but still caused backup.  My all-time fave was a massive spill of creamed corn on the Dublin Grade, maybe 20 years ago.

I remember years ago, a load of live crabs, or maybe lobsters, over turned.  They were attacking the people dealing with the wreck.
But I really came because my sister, who only sometimes watches, has now gotten instagram messages from Dr. Now, on her new phone.
She's never googled the show or people, as she's a 90-Day Fiancee person.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I remember years ago, a load of live crabs, or maybe lobsters, over turned.  They were attacking the people dealing with the wreck.
But I really came because my sister, who only sometimes watches, has now gotten instagram messages from Dr. Now, on her new phone.
She's never googled the show or people, as she's a 90-Day Fiancee person.

Oh, that's hilarious!  Better than creamed corn!   But 90 day fiancée does nothing for me--- I'm home from work today, and 28 year husband is sorely getting on my nerves!

• LOL 1

When I lived in New Mexico, we had a lot of onions grown locally, and other veggies.    A truck full of onions overturned on the Interstate one afternoon, and the police actually asked people to take them.   It really sped up clearing the road. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

A classmate's husband was a state trooper in Nebraska and once a McDonald's truck filled with potatoes overturned on the I-80.  Most of the potatoes were taken by the local farmers to feed to their livestock, but people took the undamaged ones home, including him.  She said these were some of the best potatoes she has ever had.  McDonald's fries may not be a health food, but at least we know they use good potatoes for them. 🙂 Or at least they did back in the early 2000s.  

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

When I lived in New Mexico, we had a lot of onions grown locally, and other veggies.    A truck full of onions overturned on the Interstate one afternoon, and the police actually asked people to take them.   It really sped up clearing the road. 

The city I grew up in still has a veggie canning plant. When I was little, during the sweet pea harvesting, my dad would come home and tell me to jump in the pickup.  We would go to where they were harvesting and follow the open bed trucks and wait until vines would fall off the back on the road shoulder or ditch.  He would stop, I would jump out and grab the vines filled with fresh sweet peas and that was supper for the night!  Such good memories.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Oh, that's hilarious!  Better than creamed corn!   But 90 day fiancée does nothing for me--- I'm home from work today, and 28 year husband is sorely getting on my nerves!

I don't watch it, except for the commercials, but I ask my sister about things like "Larissa is jailed for the 3rd time," or such.

• LOL 2
On 7/21/2019 at 9:38 PM, Carboncat said:

Yay for him!  Most of the Vietnam vets I knew ended up at the Post Office.

My husband, a two tour Vietnam War vet, made the military his first career, which led to two different exciting careers post military retirement.  While I wasn't there during his early career years, I've been around for the past 39 years of ups and downs. 

• Love 3

Hi guys!  Just checking in...I went to pick up my precious special-needs kitties today at 11:00, only to find out that they were moved because of overcrowding to a foster home.  I've spent half a day trying to set up an appointment with the foster family, but I haven't heard back yet.  It may sound trivial, but I'm heartbroken they may not come home.

(edited)
On 7/23/2019 at 6:54 PM, fonfereksglen said:

My husband, a two tour Vietnam War vet, made the military his first career, which led to two different exciting careers post military retirement.  While I wasn't there during his early career years, I've been around for the past 39 years of ups and downs. 

Congrats on the 39 years!  My first fiancée was a Vietnam-era vet, but only was there for 6 months.  He did most of his stint in Germany.  He didn't go after high school; when they caught up with him he did 4 years in the Army.  Unclear on the details:  he died, and I've been married to current (!) husband 28 years.  Mr. Carboncat was lucky enough that they called off the draft 3 days before he was supposed to go.  My Armenian dad was drafted in 1957, did a year in Germany, got sick on boat landings, gained 50lbs! Veinerschnitzel ! he's a thin guy, and developed a love for German culture.  Had various family and friends serve in Vietnam, nobody I know died there, but many served later in Post office.  Apparently the Nixon administration considered making mail delivery twice a day, just to employ vets.  I remember the early 70's TV commercial... "Don't forget..hire the vet".  

My son finished 6 years with Marines reserves; as an Boy Scout eagle scout he has totally lost his love of camping.  

Thanks Pounders for internet fellowship!  Am looking forward to new 600lblife episodes, and new ones have suddenly appeared on my "recordings", hence watching "Marla" at 5:00 am today. 

Edited by Carboncat
spelling
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Thanks Pounders for internet fellowship!  Am looking forward to new 600lblife episodes, and new ones have suddenly appeared on my "recordings", hence watching "Marla" at 5:00 am today. 

I am grateful for the fellowship as well. I don't think I've mentioned it here, but I've been unemployed for the past year. Trying to get hired for an IT job at my age (58) is like finding a needle in a haystack, but must keep trying. Had a pretty good interview this week, the first in-person interview in three months. They seemed to like me, but that has happened before. Time will tell.

I rewatched Marla today myself, after reading your post CC. Marla had one terrible attitude, right until the end. Does make one wonder why she bothered going to Houston. In her follow-up she and Dr. Now parted ways. She still had her terrible, disrespectful attitude. But she is one person who, although she left the program, has been very successful. Recent photos and videos show that she looking terrific. This recent article about is interesting:

https://starcasm.net/my-600-lb-life-marla-update/

I wondered too, CC, why they couldn't check her weight until she was willing and able to stand up. Maybe the hospital used at that time didn't have the type of beds that could weigh the patient.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

I am grateful for the fellowship as well. I don't think I've mentioned it here, but I've been unemployed for the past year. Trying to get hired for an IT job at my age (58) is like finding a needle in a haystack, but must keep trying. Had a pretty good interview this week, the first in-person interview in three months. They seemed to like me, but that has happened before. Time will tell.

I rewatched Marla today myself, after reading your post CC. Marla had one terrible attitude, right until the end. Does make one wonder why she bothered going to Houston. In her follow-up she and Dr. Now parted ways. She still had her terrible, disrespectful attitude. But she is one person who, although she left the program, has been very successful. Recent photos and videos show that she looking terrific. This recent article about is interesting:

https://starcasm.net/my-600-lb-life-marla-update/

I wondered too, CC, why they couldn't check her weight until she was willing and able to stand up. Maybe the hospital used at that time didn't have the type of beds that could weigh the patient.

Am glad to hear that about Marla.  Why didn't she get psychological exam and therapy prior to her journey to Houston and them some?  She was disrespectful and dismissing, but I get the feeling she was totally shut down.

Best wishes in your employment seek.  Employers should know by now that (we) women of a "certain age" bring a whole hell of a lot to the table!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Marla?   I can't believe there is an episode of this I haven't seen.  I glanced at the posts in her thread, and they aren't boosting my memory banks.  

Since we are talking about our husbands---mine served in the Army in Germany, then worked as an editor and ESL teacher for the Air Force before teaching English and speech at a state university.   He is currently loading the dishwasher after our dinner of portabello mushrooms, spaghetti sauce and zucchini spirals.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ProTourist said:

Good luck!   

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

Marla?   I can't believe there is an episode of this I haven't seen.  I glanced at the posts in her thread, and they aren't boosting my memory banks.  

Since we are talking about our husbands---mine served in the Army in Germany, then worked as an editor and ESL teacher for the Air Force before teaching English and speech at a state university.   He is currently loading the dishwasher after our dinner of portabello mushrooms, spaghetti sauce and zucchini spirals.  

Oh yum, mushrooms!  I lean towards the savory in my "binge" foods.  Especially things that reduce in cooking, like mushrooms and greens.  Sigh.....

Current husband missed draft by 3 days, no VA loan on house, but is here to talk about it.  Was corrected:  my dad was drafted in 1956, not 1957, according to my grandmother it was the "best thing that ever happened to him", in other words he decided to do something else.

I joined Carpenter's Union #713 when baby was 2 1/2.  Money and benefits, ladies.  Worked out well, wished I'd done it out of high school (30 yrs and out!)  but girls didn't join Carpenter's in 1979.  I remember at a union meeting when I was (comparatively) young and cute.  An older member kind of jammed me up, said show me your hands.  A look at my gnarelled, ugly digits convinced him....he nodded "You're allright".  It was a proud moment for me.  I also had no issues with hair and hardhat.  Kept it short.  Sorry guys, am tripping down memory road, waiting to hear about adoptive cats, and is very hot tonight!  Peace, and stay COOL!

Edited by Carboncat
spelling
  • Love 2

Hi everyone 

First post here, love the show .. soooo frustrating that we are drip fed episodes in the UK ... I have to use TLC uk which is way behind, Amazon Prime or iTunes again so behind.

But love reading your posts, especially the updates, I first found this forum looking for updates on Kandi and Brandi and have been reading my way through the live chats... brilliant 

But I have had to use google to work out what some of the foods are ... like grits, biscuits and gravy(that confused me because our biscuits over here are your cookies).

I am amazed at the amount of different varieties of take aways and drive throughs, we only have McDonald’s and KFC ... have always wanted to try Taco Bell (I know But it’s for research purposes only😂)  but we have maybe one in the whole country. I couldn’t get over one (Marla I think way back) deep fat frying in bed😱.

anyway just thought I would join and say hello 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Londoner said:

brilliant 

biscuits over here are your cookies

take aways 

anyway just thought I would join and say hello 

I read your entire post as though it were being spoken with a delightful British accent.  Welcome from an Arizonan whose favorite city in the world is London.

• Love 2