Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

What amazes me, even after all of these episodes, are the ones that lose a lot of weight, and then gain it back.     I'm also amazed by the ones that say they gained a bunch of weight, but did it in one week.     

I can see it with wine, which I'm drinking today (Sunday)  and husband brought home fresh cheeseburgers which he is insisting are best eaten hot.  Also want just one more glass of wine (!). 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Carboncat said:

Thank you so much for your perspective, Catherine M.  What initially drew me to the show in my bale-eyed "I'm on the couch everybody is asleep I have the tv to myself" mode was the idea of struggle and redemption.  Same thing with "Hoarders".  Many of us struggle with "small" issues.  We want to lose 10 or 15 lbs.  We can't stop smoking.  We drink too much. (Of course I'm speaking for myself here.)

There is a morbid fascination about what if this is taken to the n'th degree?  How can a human body weigh 600 lbs?,  and what is it like to live in that body?  I've always been 102 lbs.  I'm now 112lbs because I gained weight after spinal fusion surgery.  Big deal;  gotta lose 10 lbs....

What is it like to live in a frame supporting 6 of me in one skeleton?  What's it like to wake up in the morning and decide to do something about it when the goal seems so insurmountable?What's the reality of living at 600 lbs when you don't fit anywhere, and you can't really dress and keep yourself clean?  How do you even start?  If I lost 50 lbs I'd be dead,  a poundticipant who loses that, well,  I can't really tell.

Your sharing about the reality of your skin issues really stuck me.  How awful to have to surrender dignity to your condition, and bravo to you for being candid and getting healthier.  Much success to you

How I ended up over 600 lbs. is a good question. I’ve spent years in therapy over it. I wasn’t abused as a kid. Mom and Dad were married to each other and weren’t addicts or in jail. My Mom did emotionally eat, but stopped about 225. I had bad social anxiety. Was obviously addicted to food from an early age. Sports injuries slowed me down. I had a roommate who was abusive and I ate to comfort myself. Ate because I was depressed for being overweight and then got more depressed because of my size and increasing immobility. 

How I snapped out of it is a miracle. One morning I woke up not just thinking I could get better, but knowing I would. Started a step at a time. Therapy, 12 step for food addiction, diet and exercise. Very slow. Not where I want to be yet, but slowly getting there. Not going back. My rock bottom was just being desperate enough to try anything. 

Edited by CatherineM
  • Love 19
On 6/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Hi Hellga. Was that your neighborhood I saw on the local news with a black bear wandering through it? It looked like a rather young bear, not a baby bear but a juvenile one.

Back to food: I can only eat fennel if it's cooked; raw is too licoricey--not a real word, I know😊. Same for any type of anise flavored liqeuer like Sambuca, yuck. Love onion raw or cooked as well as anything in the squash family--eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, etc. ITA about insects and I will definitely eat exotic meats. Love rutabagas and turnips in cooked greens, Southern style with ham hocks.

The one thing no one has yet mentioned is cilantro. I pretty much loathe it and these days chefs are putting it into EVERYTHING! The only way I can eat it is in certain Mexican dishes; heck I've eaten ticked off people from other cultures by saying that Mexican cooks and chefs are the only people who know how to cook with that otherwise noxious herb. As a matter of fact whenever I make salsa or pico de gallo, I always use cilantro. It seems that the onion, tomatoes, chilies and garlic, in the case of salsas, negate that nasty soapy taste.

And white grapefruit is the Devil, a nasty trick played by Mother Nature.😆

Fennel tastes great roasted with other veggies.  Rutabaga is a must in real UP pasties.  Cilantro tastes like soap. I use parsley. And, I bought a small deli sized container of grapes today.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

And, I bought a small deli sized container of grapes today.

You can look back on this moment as when you went to the dark side.

Who will be here if I call the firemen? Will rub tired and sore backs and feet. :P

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, CatherineM said:

How I ended up over 600 lbs. is a good question. I’ve spent years in therapy over it. I wasn’t abused as a kid. Mom and Dad were married to each other and weren’t addicts or in jail. My Mom did emotionally eat, but stopped about 225. I had bad social anxiety. Was obviously addicted to food from an early age. Sports injuries slowed me down. I had a roommate who was abusive and I ate to comfort myself. Ate because I was depressed for being overweight and then got more depressed because of my size and increasing immobility. 

How I snapped out of it is a miracle. One morning I woke up not just thinking I could get better, but knowing I would. Started a step at a time. Therapy, 12 step for food addiction, diet and exercise. Very slow. Not where I want to be yet, but slowly getting there. Not going back. My rock bottom was just being desperate enough to try anything. 

Thanks so much.  You have inspired me.

• Love 5

I finally did it, I ordered an air fryer. I'm addicted to sweet potato fries, and usually do them in the oven after tossing them in olive oil. Watched youtube tutorials yesterday. Someone may need to roll me to Dr. Now soon.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 6/10/2019 at 9:02 AM, Colleenna said:

Fortunately the cantaloupe I had was terrible, so we wound up throwing it away. And the bananas are turning slightly brown, so this afternoon they will get cut up and frozen for my smoothies. Don't got no crackers or sugar free jam, but I has yogurt --- Fage plain. Steely resolve may save me. But the cukes and romaine ......

I recommended the wrong cantaloupe earlier.  The ones we like are called Sugar Kiss.  They are consistently good.

• Useful 1

The air fryer has not turned out to be all that I had hoped for.  It's okay, but, not all that.  So, now, I'm considering a pressure cooker.  Now, that looks impressive.  But, the Ninja's on QVC are $179.00.  Is that a fair deal?  Are they that useful? Anyone use them? 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The air fryer has not turned out to be all that I had hoped for.  It's okay, but, not all that.  So, now, I'm considering a pressure cooker.  Now, that looks impressive.  But, the Ninja's on QVC are $179.00.  Is that a fair deal?  Are they that useful? Anyone use them?

I love my pressure cooker. Has an Instant Pot. I have the 3 qt one so I can't cook an entire buffalo.  Throw frozen chicken in there, you have food in less than an hour.

Is thinking I can cook in the Instant Pot, then get a nice crunchy coating with the air fryer. 

Edited by nokat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If you are thinking of buying a pressure cooker I would suggest getting an Instant Pot. I purchased mine last September (2018) and have used it multiple times. I went back to my QVC account to check on the price and the total was $92.70 which included $79.00 and change for the Instant Pot, half price shipping and handling of $7.50 and tax. I have used it to make greens (collards and kale with ham hocks), stock, 15 bean soup, Coq au Vin (French for chicken with wine) among other things.

If you are really in the market for a pressure cooker I would choose that over a Ninja since it's been around longer with a better track record IMHO. It also has eight other functions to try such as slow cooker, steamer, simmer function, yogurt maker, plus pre settings for soups, stews, chili, etc. Plus, if you get it from QVC, you have 30 days to try it out and return it for a full refund minus shipping costs.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks all for the tips.  I have some homework to do.  

FWIW, SunnyBeBe with the Q I always wait for a sale. I really don't find Amazon to be all that competitive when it comes to pricing for different items either. $180.00 for a Ninja? Nuh uh, please don't do it. I don't think that you will find a deal right now any better than what I got but with the Q you never know.😊

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Which air fryer do you have? I got one from my brother as a present--birthday or Christmas? can't remember. Anyway it was really weird because I had been thinking of buying one but never asked him for one or even mentioned it to him; maybe a strange psychic sister-brother connection, LOL!😆 It's a 2.6 quart model made by Bella; a good size for me since I am just cooking for myself.

Tee hee, it's still in the box, haven't even used it yet but my thinking was to use it for making Buffalo wings without messing with and having to dispose of all of the oil as well as roasting vegetables without needing to turn on the oven.

I've read they're having Prime Day starting on July 15 and going for a day or two.  The deals are only for Prime members, but you get a 30 day free Prime trial, and then cancel before the 30 days.     There's some way to get notified when what you want is featured, but I don't have a clue.      Just like last year, I'm guessing Wally World and Target and others will have special deals those days, especially online, to rival some of the deals too.    I do remember last year they had a smaller Insta Pot on sale, but I don't know what sizes or brands are best for that. 

• Useful 2
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've read they're having Prime Day starting on July 15 and going for a day or two.  The deals are only for Prime members, but you get a 30 day free Prime trial, and then cancel before the 30 days.     There's some way to get notified when what you want is featured, but I don't have a clue.      Just like last year, I'm guessing Wally World and Target and others will have special deals those days, especially online, to rival some of the deals too.    I do remember last year they had a smaller Insta Pot on sale, but I don't know what sizes or brands are best for that. 

Hi CrazyInAlabama. Thanks for the heads up.

Here's a link to the model I have although I paid fifty bucks less than the $129.00 they're asking for:

https://www.qvc.com/Instant-Pot-6-qt-Viva-9-in-1-Digital-Pressure-Cooker-w-Accessories.product.K48180.html?sc=SRCH

As you can see, it's a six quart model and.......... it's PURPLE! 😊

47 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Which air fryer do you have? I got one from my brother as a present--birthday or Christmas? can't remember. Anyway it was really weird because I had been thinking of buying one but never asked him for one or even mentioned it to him; maybe a strange psychic sister-brother connection, LOL!😆 It's a 2.6 quart model made by Bella; a good size for me since I am just cooking for myself.

Tee hee, it's still in the box, haven't even used it yet but my thinking was to use it for making Buffalo wings without messing with and having to dispose of all of the oil as well as roasting vegetables without needing to turn on the oven.

It's an Emeril Laggasse.  I think it's like this one.  I was expecting more crispy, but, it's not that crispy, imo.  I put some frozen, battered shrimp in and they were super gooey and not good, despite cooking them longer than directed.

https://www.qvc.com/Emeril-35qt-Pro-Plus-Air-Fryer-System-w-Accessories.product.K44483.html

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Instant Pot! Depending on how many people you're cooking for, a small one might suffice and is < $100 .... I love mine. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's an Emeril Laggasse.  I think it's like this one.  I was expecting more crispy, but, it's not that crispy, imo.  I put some frozen, battered shrimp in and they were super gooey and not good, despite cooking them longer than directed.

https://www.qvc.com/Emeril-35qt-Pro-Plus-Air-Fryer-System-w-Accessories.product.K44483.html

See that's my problem with how they demo all of these air fryers; they always seem to advertise cooking processed frozen foods and, by and large, that's just not how I cook. Believe me, I love frozen crinkle cut fries but that's about it when it comes to frozen processed foods. I want something that can cook real foods from scratch quickly and easily without heating up the kitchen.

For instance, many of the demos seem to be fascinated with cooking steaks in the air fryer which I would never do. Your results confirm what I have always suspected in that the finish so-called "crispy" food ain't all that crispy no matter how many yum yum faces they make.😆

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm not big on processed food either, but, the frozen shrimp was a very rare thing.  My mother had requested them.  That's why I got them.  It was a total failure and even though she was polite, we couldn't eat them.  lol  

Maybe, I should experiment more with veggies and see how that goes in the air fryer.  Or maybe some fresh chicken strips with no batter.  

I did see a pressure cooker where they put just sauce and pain pasta in and it cooked perfectly.  But, honestly, I can cook that pasta is less than 15 minutes on the stove top.  So, IDK.  Maybe, I would use it to cook a pork loin or roast beef. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

If you are thinking of buying a pressure cooker I would suggest getting an Instant Pot. I purchased mine last September (2018) and have used it multiple times. I went back to my QVC account to check on the price and the total was $92.70 which included $79.00 and change for the Instant Pot, half price shipping and handling of $7.50 and tax. I have used it to make greens (collards and kale with ham hocks), stock, 15 bean soup, Coq au Vin (French for chicken with wine) among other things.

If you are really in the market for a pressure cooker I would choose that over a Ninja since it's been around longer with a better track record IMHO. It also has eight other functions to try such as slow cooker, steamer, simmer function, yogurt maker, plus pre settings for soups, stews, chili, etc. Plus, if you get it from QVC, you have 30 days to try it out and return it for a full refund minus shipping costs.

Now you guys have got me thinking.... my beloved 1979 crock pot has developed a hairline crack on the pottery;  not leaking yet, but the end is near.  Perhaps I should try an Instant Pot, it seems to have various features.  How long to cook the collards?  Biggest pain is constantly checking water level in regular pot. 

I am not cooking from scratch now like I used to;  no more kids (or adult children Yay!)  Mr. Carboncat is retired and will end up eating at 4:00 rather than wait for me to get home from work and cook.  I will research the Instant Pot.  If there are easier ways--less pans and pots, and a way to set things up in advance and have hubby turn it on it might be a healthy addition to the kitchen.  Thanks a lot!

• Love 1
(edited)

I love my Instant Pot for making stew, soup, and brown rice. Yeah, white rice is easy on the stove top, but I usually ended up burning brown rice.

I would never make a steak in an air fryer, it's in a cast iron pan.  The tough cuts of meat, I've had a lot of success putting it in the pressure cooker. I'll probably regret buying the air fryer, as I usually cook from scratch too.

(I'll blame the air fryer on insomnia and watching infomercials.)

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, nokat said:

I finally did it, I ordered an air fryer. I'm addicted to sweet potato fries, and usually do them in the oven after tossing them in olive oil. Watched youtube tutorials yesterday. Someone may need to roll me to Dr. Now soon.

I bought my sister an air fryer maybe 4-5 months ago. She went from, "What do I do, what do I do?" to posting pictures almost every day on the FB page we're on and telling folks about recipes and how to cook stuff in the AF.  I've unleashed a monster.

• LOL 5

I would like to buy an air fryer but I do not like the taste of frozen per battered food it always taste funny to me. I like fried chicken but cannot take the grease. I have tried to " fry" it in the oven but whatever I do the breading falls off or is soggy.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Now you guys have got me thinking.... my beloved 1979 crock pot has developed a hairline crack on the pottery;  not leaking yet, but the end is near.  Perhaps I should try an Instant Pot, it seems to have various features.  How long to cook the collards?  Biggest pain is constantly checking water level in regular pot. 

I am not cooking from scratch now like I used to;  no more kids (or adult children Yay!)  Mr. Carboncat is retired and will end up eating at 4:00 rather than wait for me to get home from work and cook.  I will research the Instant Pot.  If there are easier ways--less pans and pots, and a way to set things up in advance and have hubby turn it on it might be a healthy addition to the kitchen.  Thanks a lot!

The first time I cooked collards I actually overcooked them. I think I set it for 20 minutes. Anyway, the next time, I set it for 15 minutes and they came out perfect. The one thing I did do first was to pre-boil my ham hocks then just put those in with the cooking liquid, extra water if needed, the greens, some onions and seasonings in the IP, set it for high pressure, set the time and pushed a button. Like you, I hate constantly having to check the liquid. When it's done you get a whole lotta tasty pot liquor. Yum!

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Clarifications.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/21/2019 at 3:13 PM, Hellga said:

Yes!  I mean, I would so hug the whole entire leopard, but I would love to feel up the tail because it looks so amazingly thick fluffy (though I know even house cats usually aren't fond of people pawing at their tails).  I had petted a tiger and a lion cub, but never a snow leopard.  

I would love to pet a Pallas cat too.  They are super fluffy, Prospect Park Zoo in Brooklyn has two, but they are rarely making themselves visible, so half the times I visit all I can see is a little ball of grey fluff at the very far corner of the enclosure. 

Just googled that and I must touch one!

On 6/23/2019 at 9:15 AM, DC Gal in VA said:

OMG HELP! I'm watching ITKWD--In the Kitchen with David--on QVC and they have a Jeffrey Zakarian Safe Slice 6-in-1 Upright Mandolin and I think I may "need" it!😊  And of course it's only three easy payments of $9.99.

Please stop me before I buy again! Calling all "Q" folks; that includes YOU @aliya!😆

I love David!  

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Me too Natalie68! Also, in case you didn't see my post above, I bought the darned thing! 😆

HA!  I am always tempted to buy anything Mr. Venable sells!  I also think he would be a blast to hang out with!

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

HA!  I am always tempted to buy anything Mr. Venable sells!  I also think he would be a blast to hang out with!

ITA! One of the things that I appreciate about him is that he will ask the vendor questions about the product that I want answered. Sometimes the vendors get so locked in repeating their memorized spiel they forget to inform the home audience about what the product can and can't do, are there any parts that need replacing, what does/doesn't go into the dishwasher, etc.

Hee, I know that first time vendors are nervous but even some of the longtime ones aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer like that Vitamix guy; can't stand him.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

ITA! One of the things that I appreciate about him is that he will ask the vendor questions about the product that I want answered. Sometimes the vendors get so locked in repeating their memorized spiel they forget to inform the home audience about what the product can and can't do, are there any parts that need replacing, what does/doesn't go into the dishwasher, etc.

Hee, I know that first time vendors are nervous but even some of the longtime ones aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer like that Vitamix guy; can't stand him.

I love it when he is selling food.  His expressions are priceless!!!!  

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

The first time I cooked collards I actually overcooked them. I think I set it for 20 minutes. Anyway, the next time, I set it for 15 minutes and they came out perfect. The one thing I did do first was to pre-boil my ham hocks then just put those in with the cooking liquid, extra water if needed, the greens, some onions and seasonings in the IP, set it for high pressure, set the time and pushed a button. Like you, I hate constantly having to check the liquid. When it's done you get a whole lotta tasty pot liquor. Yum!

Greens in 15 minutes??!!!  If I use salt pork, which I often do,  I probably don't have to pre-boil anything.  Any thing that cooks half-day dishes has my attention!  My local Target has the 6 qt. model you cited for $99.95.  I haven't checked Costco or Walmart.

My usual m.o. with greens is to triple wash and de-stem the night before, pack into large pot with the meat at the bottom ready to go first thing.  I guess the Instant-Pot nixes the bright green smell of mustards in the morning......

• LOL 1
51 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

Greens in 15 minutes??!!!  If I use salt pork, which I often do,  I probably don't have to pre-boil anything.  Any thing that cooks half-day dishes has my attention!  My local Target has the 6 qt. model you cited for $99.95.  I haven't checked Costco or Walmart.

My usual m.o. with greens is to triple wash and de-stem the night before, pack into large pot with the meat at the bottom ready to go first thing.  I guess the Instant-Pot nixes the bright green smell of mustards in the morning......

Oh yaaaaaaaasssss, salt pork is good too. Actually, that's how my South Carolina farm girl momma used to make them and you're right, no pre-boiling necessary in that case. The reason I pre-cook the hocks is to make sure that everything is done at the same time and to start things off with that yummy hock water. Now I wants me some greens and some cornbread for dunking too!😊

Hahaha, that autocorrect changed "hock" water to "jock" water. I don't even want to imagine what that would taste like!😬

• LOL 4
(edited)

Still up after Live Chat....Democratic debate is a snooze...

Re the trip down memory lane we shared from 60's and 70's:  Tang, Carnation Breakfast bars/ chasing mosquito spraying trucks on our Schwinns (helmetless!)  riding loose in pickup beds or station wagons with the dogs with the seats folded flat listening to the Beatles or Jim Croce.....etc...…..

Point here:  anybody remember "Ayds" weight loss candies?  Came in a box individually wrapped.  Most unfortunate marketing name imaginable.  Product was bulls..t but once they decided the acronym of the frightening autoimmune disease debuting in early 80's would be "AIDS" it was all over.  Sometimes you think you just dreamed this stuff until others confirm.  Thanks, and goodnight!

Edited by Carboncat
grammer
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Point here:  anybody remember "Ayds" weight loss candies?  Came in a box individually wrapped.  Most unfortunate marketing name imaginable.  Product was bulls..t but once they decided the acronym of the frightening autoimmune disease debuting in early 80's would be "AIDS" it was all over.  Sometimes you think you just dreamed this stuff until others confirm.  Thanks, and goodnight!

Yes, I remember the print ads for "Ayds" -- even as a kid, the product never made much sense to me.

Speaking of nostalgia, a few days ago (June 22) was the fiftieth anniversary of Judy Garland's death in London. Although I was all of eight years old, I can still remember reading about it in the New York Post. Must admit that all I felt was relief that her tabloid exploits had come to an end. Not very charitable in such a little kid. . . .

• Love 2
(edited)

I've started the first of my summer reading with Treasure Island, an old master by Robert Louis Stevenson. I've always understood it to be a great novel, but never undertook it because I thought I'd keep tripping over the antique language -- which is an issue I have in reading the original novel of 'Captains Courageous', so that I keep putting it down. No such problem! I make out with its language quite well most of the time, and when I reach a word I don't know, I just press on it and the Kindle app brings up the definition.

Treasure Island is in the public domain, and is available for free in various formats. Here it is on Google Play. All that's needed is a web browser, and word definitions will come up by double-clicking on them. 😎

Edited by ProTourist
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, ProTourist said:

Yes, I remember the print ads for "Ayds" -- even as a kid, the product never made much sense to me.

Speaking of nostalgia, a few days ago (June 22) was the fiftieth anniversary of Judy Garland's death in London. Although I was all of eight years old, I can still remember reading about it in the New York Post. Must admit that all I felt was relief that her tabloid exploits had come to an end. Not very charitable in such a little kid. . . .

Yes, remember "Valley of the Dolls" ?

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Yes, remember "Valley of the Dolls" ?

Yes indeed. JG wouldn't come out of her dressing room, and was eventually replaced by Susan Hayward. JG's costume tests and pre-recording of "I'll plant my own tree" still exist, if you have come across them. She was near the end by then.

Edited by ProTourist
  • Love 1

Just on a roll from my previous post on "Milla"...regarding my experience as a journeyman carpenter. In 1997 I was on a concrete tilt-up job in an industrial area of Livermore, CA.  I was friendly with a lady on the same site;  we both had small kids.  Apparently she took her small son to a union meeting, where a member said to him "do you want to be a pile-driver like your mom?" He replied "Naw, that's a girl's job" (!)

• LOL 10
4 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

Just on a roll from my previous post on "Milla"...regarding my experience as a journeyman carpenter. In 1997 I was on a concrete tilt-up job in an industrial area of Livermore, CA.  I was friendly with a lady on the same site;  we both had small kids.  Apparently she took her small son to a union meeting, where a member said to him "do you want to be a pile-driver like your mom?" He replied "Naw, that's a girl's job" (!)

And following up on the walking stick ....

When we moved by brother from rehab into our home, he was using a specially constructed walker to deal with the loss of an arm and strength issues on that side.  Because of hard work, he rapidly moved on to a quad cane.  A month later we all took our first of weekly road trips plus lunch, this time to an art festival.  My brother, who is not the type, did find a nice bench to sit and watch people.

Fast forward ahead one year.  Back again at the art festival, he found a vendor he had seen and bought a beautiful hand carved walking stick, which he uses to this day!  He feels it gives him better balance on his weak side than a shorter cane.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

And following up on the walking stick ....

When we moved by brother from rehab into our home, he was using a specially constructed walker to deal with the loss of an arm and strength issues on that side.  Because of hard work, he rapidly moved on to a quad cane.  A month later we all took our first of weekly road trips plus lunch, this time to an art festival.  My brother, who is not the type, did find a nice bench to sit and watch people.

Fast forward ahead one year.  Back again at the art festival, he found a vendor he had seen and bought a beautiful hand carved walking stick, which he uses to this day!  He feels it gives him better balance on his weak side than a shorter cane.

Plus, it's a work of art and beautiful.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

There's an artist in Gatlinburg who makes lovely ones called Cloudwalkers.      I may get one for Mr TWoPper at some point.   We have one he made himself years ago for hiking in the Smokies and along Skyline Drive

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Twopper said:

I thought the same.   I think Jennifer must have attempted cooking while Marissa was little (well, I mean young, because I am not sure she was ever very little), because in the scene where Marissa is telling her mom she is moving back (I think this is the bonus scene in which they basically are arguing about which one abandoned the other first), Marissa mentions the wonderful smell of pot roast in the apartment, and there is a joke about how Jennifer used to burn roasts.

Please don't tell Dr N, but my lunch today is a coke (the kind from Mexico made with sugar) and a bag of popcorn. 

OOhh, an ice-cold glass bottled real-sugared (Mexican) Coke!  Anyone remember the little 6oz (?) greenish glass bottled Cokes?  Pull them out of the machine and crack 'em open on the bottle cap thingee…  It's the real thing!.....

Back in the day, though, I was partial to grape NeHi, which I was allowed only on a limited basis due to my vigilant parents and grandparents.

Edited by Carboncat
finished thought
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

OOhh, an ice-cold glass bottled real-sugared (Mexican) Coke!  Anyone remember the little 6oz (?) greenish glass bottled Cokes?  Pull them out of the machine and crack 'em open on the bottle cap thingee…  It's the real thing!..... 

yes, I am old, and I recall them.   At some point I was given a king size coke, and it was way too  much for me.   My parents always traveled with extra empty bottles, because they would stop at a gas station, and we would get a coke out of the machine;  my mom would put our empties in the rack so we could finish our cokes in the car.  I think that was the only time we were allowed to drink in the car.  

Our parish had a special bfast for the choir today, and we discussed how "green" everything was when we were growing up----milk delivered in glass bottles, cokes were all in bottles, etc and kids would take the bottles back to the store to get refunds.  Our parish has decent flatware and china, but bfast was a gift from a group of parishoners who served us using paper plates and plastic classes and utensils.   (And no, it wasn't the Duggars).  Food was good, and I noticed a few tenors and an alto dozed off during the homily.

I am about to serve another non- Dr N approved meal--chicken tetrazzini for dinner. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Twopper said:

yes, I am old, and I recall them.   At some point I was given a king size coke, and it was way too  much for me.   My parents always traveled with extra empty bottles, because they would stop at a gas station, and we would get a coke out of the machine;  my mom would put our empties in the rack so we could finish our cokes in the car.  I think that was the only time we were allowed to drink in the car.  

Our parish had a special bfast for the choir today, and we discussed how "green" everything was when we were growing up----milk delivered in glass bottles, cokes were all in bottles, etc and kids would take the bottles back to the store to get refunds.  Our parish has decent flatware and china, but bfast was a gift from a group of parishoners who served us using paper plates and plastic classes and utensils.   (And no, it wasn't the Duggars).  Food was good, and I noticed a few tenors and an alto dozed off during the homily.

I am about to serve another non- Dr N approved meal--chicken tetrazzini for dinner. 

Yum!  chicken tetrazzini!  And yes, all those glass bottles got returned, including milk.  My mom for years mixed up powdered milk,  probably a holdover from her Depression childhood, although we were solidly middle-class.  We kids HATED that stuff, Dad didn't drink milk and was noncommittal.  She would regularly bleach the milk dispenser thing.  One morning I woke up and poured bleach-water powdered milk on my cereal....Aackkk!  My teenage self would never let her forget it and thereafter we got delivered milk "just like everybody else".

I make a version of "Chicken-a-la-King" with fresh celery, carrots and peas, over extra-broad egg noodles.  My son loves it.  He wrote me home from Marines boot camp  longing for my "Chicken Nu-nu".  Yes, of course I fixed for his first visit home.

Dr. Now non-approved foods:  baked ziti, with lots of sauce and cheeses.  Everything in moderation!

• Love 4