Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Twopper said:

I love the names for these horrible interchanges.  I try to avoid Spaghetti Junction as often as possible considering how much time I spend on I-85.  Malfunction Junction in Birmingham is another nasty exchange, but they have torn it down recently and are constructing another one which I hope will be less scary.   

My (not) fondest memory of Malfunction Junction is navigating it in a 40' motor home towing a Jeep. I still have nightmares.

• Love 1
On 5/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, Twopper said:

I love the names for these horrible interchanges.  I try to avoid Spaghetti Junction as often as possible considering how much time I spend on I-85.  Malfunction Junction in Birmingham is another nasty exchange, but they have torn it down recently and are constructing another one which I hope will be less scary.   Years ago I had to drop my cousin off at the Pentagon most mornings and that mess was called the Mixing Bowl, but now I think it is referred to mostly as the Pentagon network; the term Mixing Bowl is now used for another exchange that is worse.

I find the highways in Pennsylvania to be notorious for dead deer.  On the drive from Virginia to Buffalo there are so many dead deer.   I see dead deer on the roads in Georgia and other southern states often, but not nearly like in Penn.

Speaking of travel---  We spent last week in a hotel.  I was on the elevator with a woman who was probably between 350-400 pounds; she was in shorts (ack!!!) and had one of those horrid growths on her leg like most of Dr Now's patients have.  I  started wondering if having that would motivate her to lose weight or if she would just go on gaining weight until she was over 600 pounds.  She wasn't very tall.  Then when I got back in my room I noticed my small spare tire and wondered if that would motivate me to lose those 10 pound in 6 munt that I am supposed to or if I would start to gain again until I need Dr Now.

This is for DC Gal in VA  or any NOVA resident .....do you hold your breathe every time you drive through the Mixing Bowl near Springfield?

10 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

That picture looks super photoshopped. 

Oh yes it is, and I photoshopped it a little more after I downloaded it! It was meant as a joke -- I thought the emoji's I used would communicate that, but I should have said so outright. Just a bit of fun! ☺️

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I've done it. I ate a banana.  Didn't deep throat it. Has blueberries and cherries in the fridge. Almost got arrested for eyeballing fruit. Someone throw me a donut.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, nokat said:

I've done it. I ate a banana.  Didn't deep throat it. Has blueberries and cherries in the fridge. Almost got arrested for eyeballing fruit. Someone throw me a donut.

I absolutely have to wipe away the drool when I see grocery store commercials that show beautiful, luscious produce. 

I has bananas, grapes, tomatoes and a cantaloupe on my kitchen table. I has cucumbers, scallions, and romaine in the fridge. I are doomed. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I have to say, at this point in my life, I feel like I understand some of the physical toll that 600+ lbs puts on your body. I am currently 9 months pregnant and about 60 lbs over my ideal, 40 lbs of which is pregnancy weight. I'm swollen, bloated, my back is killing me and I've got a bowling ball strapped to my belly. It's not super easy to shower and sometimes I get winded putting on my pants. I am not saying this to complain, but rather being super pregnant and over my ideal weight is just a taste of what these people must feel like on a daily basis. I can't imagine what agony they must feel when they are 3-4x more overweight, bloated, swollen etc than I am. Needless to say, can't wait to pop this baby out and get back to a healthier physical state! Easier said than done with a newborn but it's my second so I know some of what is coming my way 🙂

• Love 17
39 minutes ago, DeeReynolds said:

I am currently 9 months pregnant and about 60 lbs over my ideal, 40 lbs of which is pregnancy weight. I'm swollen, bloated, my back is killing me and I've got a bowling ball strapped to my belly. 

May you have an easy delivery of a healthy baby.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, ProTourist said:

If there are any other fans of Black Mirror here -- today is season 5's release day!

Only three episodes this time, but I am on board!

That looks amazing!  But, scary, too.  I'm not a fan, but, it might be worth getting Netflix for. Hmmm... I've toyed with the idea for years.  I'm so resentful of what I pay Spectrum that I hesitate to pay more for tv entertainment. 

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but, I fooled around with life expectancy calculators the other day.  It's AMAZING the longer your life if you only change your WEIGHT and CARDIO workout sessions!  With all else being the same, the weight and number of times you work out really does move the years up.  So, I have to get down to my normal weight and return to my workouts at least 5 days a week.  Only 30 more pounds! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That looks amazing!  But, scary, too.  I'm not a fan, but, it might be worth getting Netflix for. Hmmm... I've toyed with the idea for years.  I'm so resentful of what I pay Spectrum that I hesitate to pay more for tv entertainment. 

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but, I fooled around with life expectancy calculators the other day.  It's AMAZING the longer your life if you only change your WEIGHT and CARDIO workout sessions!  With all else being the same, the weight and number of times you work out really does move the years up.  So, I have to get down to my normal weight and return to my workouts at least 5 days a week.  Only 30 more pounds! 

You're a type 1 diabetic, right? I know a woman who has been t1 since she was 14. She's 74 now and still going strong, so there's a lot to be said for proper diet and exercise to live out a normal life! 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

You're a type 1 diabetic, right? I know a woman who has been t1 since she was 14. She's 74 now and still going strong, so there's a lot to be said for proper diet and exercise to live out a normal life! 

That's awesome!  I had a great aunt who was also Type I and she lived into her 80's with no complications!  So, I'm optimistic.  Unfortunately, for Type I's its also more about insulin portions and how they work in your body, more so than the diet or exercise.  Since, no amount of exercise or good food will make us produce insulin again.  But, staying healthy is a huge plus. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ohhh! Could you link the calculators you were using, please? I love messing around with things like that, too. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That's awesome!  I had a great aunt who was also Type I and she lived into her 80's with no complications!  So, I'm optimistic.  Unfortunately, for Type I's its also more about insulin portions and how they work in your body, more so than the diet or exercise.  Since, no amount of exercise or good food will make us produce insulin again.  But, staying healthy is a huge plus. 

I know, but it can reduce the likelihood of cardiovascular complications. 

20 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

Ohhh! Could you link the calculators you were using, please? I love messing around with things like that, too. 

I'll try to find the link.  I did it on my phone.  As I recall, there were quite a few.  I think I googled life expectancy calculator.  

Had to smile when I heard this on the all-news channel on the radio driving home from work Thursday afternoon:  eastbound traffic was backed up for miles getting out of San Francisco because a "large Shop-Vac was in the lanes on the Bay Bridge just after Treasure Island."

• LOL 2
On 6/4/2019 at 9:46 PM, Colleenna said:

I has bananas, grapes, tomatoes and a cantaloupe on my kitchen table. I has cucumbers, scallions, and romaine in the fridge. I are doomed. 

Help!! I think I need an intervention--- between going to Publix and a local farmer's market, I haz grapes, plums, kiwis, peaches, cantaloupe, bananas.  Also lemons and limes, but Mr Twopper ate the last of the oranges.   And corn on the cob, little red potatoes, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, yellow peppers, red peppers, beans, peas, a box of spring mix, a bag of American salad, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots.   Also I haz a watermelon and apples. And dates and raisins.  and I haz yogurt and crackers.  Alas, I haz no sugar free jam but I haz several jars of fig preserves so there's that.   I am doomed to be 600+ pound soon.  Help!!!!!!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Help!! I think I need an intervention--- between going to Publix and a local farmer's market, I haz grapes, plums, kiwis, peaches, cantaloupe, bananas.  Also lemons and limes, but Mr Twopper ate the last of the oranges.   And corn on the cob, little red potatoes, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, yellow peppers, red peppers, beans, peas, a box of spring mix, a bag of American salad, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots.   Also I haz a watermelon and apples. And dates and raisins.  and I haz yogurt and crackers.  Alas, I haz no sugar free jam but I haz several jars of fig preserves so there's that.   I am doomed to be 600+ pound soon.  Help!!!!!!!

Fortunately the cantaloupe I had was terrible, so we wound up throwing it away. And the bananas are turning slightly brown, so this afternoon they will get cut up and frozen for my smoothies. Don't got no crackers or sugar free jam, but I has yogurt --- Fage plain. Steely resolve may save me. But the cukes and romaine ......

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

That's a lot of produce Twopper! I hope you can finish it all.  And, it must have cost a lot too.   Sounds delicious.  Squash is one of my favorite foods. Just love it.  It cooks down a lot though, so, I have to buy it in large quantities. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That's a lot of produce Twopper! I hope you can finish it all.  And, it must have cost a lot too.   Sounds delicious.  Squash is one of my favorite foods. Just love it.  It cooks down a lot though, so, I have to buy it in large quantities. 

I forgot I also haz asparagus.    It is a lot of produce-- I think I forgot we are not a family of 5 anymore (actually we have been empty nesters for about 13 years).   The squash and the beans will get consumed tonight along with leftover meatloaf, and I am about to make us a massive veggie salad for lunch.   We can have some variation of the fruit for dessert tonight.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

You know, since, I started making veggies the star of my meal, I really do love them more than ever.  Growing up, my brothers and I loved veggies.  We were not picky at all and would fight over squash like some kids do candy! lol  People laugh at the large bags we need of squash.  It cooks down a lot. And, we just love it. I'm trying to recall if there is a veggie that I don't like.................or fruit........I don't think so.  lol

I would like to have had a garden this year, but, our weather in NC is just bizarre.  Droughts and then RAIN for days.  It's hard to promote plants in that weather. I do love a home grown tomato right off the vine.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm trying to recall if there is a veggie that I don't like.................or fruit........I don't think so.

There are a few fruits and vegetables I don't like, but not many. Mostly ones that are bitter or highly acidic or too hard to bite into/chew when raw.

Star fruit is pretty, but it burns my mouth it has so much acid! Stay away!

Grapefruit is bitter! Oranges are better!

Radishes are often bitter, and are too hard for me to bite into and chew unless they are sliced thin.

I am not crazy about green/string beans. I will eat them, but without pleasure.

I am picky about my pears: anjou is soft and juicy -- perfect! bosc is too hard and dry!

I am picky about my apples too: delicious has thick skin, too thick for my aging teeth and I don't want to peel them! royal gala and honey crisp are perfection!

• Love 2

Oh, how I love those sinful fruits and vegetables! Cherries are my current super-sin. And strawberries. In a few weeks, it will be time to head to the u-pick blueberry farm. Plus, there's the goodness from my garden that will come eventually -- tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, okra, cucumbers, and Noir de Carmes melons (Dr. Now would not approve of those).

• Love 1
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You know, since, I started making veggies the star of my meal, I really do love them more than ever.  Growing up, my brothers and I loved veggies.  We were not picky at all and would fight over squash like some kids do candy! lol  People laugh at the large bags we need of squash.  It cooks down a lot. And, we just love it. I'm trying to recall if there is a veggie that I don't like.................or fruit........I don't think so.  lol

I would like to have had a garden this year, but, our weather in NC is just bizarre.  Droughts and then RAIN for days.  It's hard to promote plants in that weather. I do love a home grown tomato right off the vine.  

I detest, and will not eat under ANY circumstances:

Avocado

Okra

Turnips

Rutabagas

I'm allergic to something in blueberries and that makes me very sad. 

Colleenna, you listed another one of my favorites: OKRA!  Love it prepared any way. I also love avocados, but, I tend to overeat them, so, have to limit my access. lol  Good fats, but, good fats also have regular calories.  😞

That's too bad about the blueberry allergy.  They aren't packed with flavor, but, I do enjoy them in yogurt at times. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I detest, and will not eat under ANY circumstances:

Avocado

Okra

Turnips

Rutabaga

I'm allergic to something in blueberries and that makes me very sad. 

When cooked right, okra can be delicious! The first time I ever had it, it was goopy and mushy (very gross). Though I married into an Indian family, and the way it's prepared in many dishes changed my perspective.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The secret to Okra is to get smaller ones.   The big ones are over-ripe, and have slimy centers by the time they're that big.   

I agree, and the big ones are too "seedy"  My husband likes it "fraahhd".  My family are Armenians from Egypt and they make it in a delicious spicy tomatoey sauce, called "bamia"

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here. I saw this documentary on the Smithsonian channel about Louis XIV and his court in Versailles.  Apparently, they didn't have any bathrooms and just went on the floor in the hallway or in the throne room or the ballrooms. No wonder there was a revolution.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
39 minutes ago, Notwisconsin said:

I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here. I saw this documentary on the Smithsonian channel about Louis XIV and his court in Versailles.  Apparently, they didn't have any bathrooms and just went on the floor in the hallway or in the throne room or the ballrooms. No wonder there was a revolution.

Is this the program?

Hmmm, perhaps this explains the pee pads on the floor of Steven Assanti's Houston apartment, which we saw during the recent update. He might have a 'Sun King' complex. 😉

Seriously though, it looks like an interesting show; I'm going to try to find it online. Thanks!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

Yes,  I saw that program too!  I can’t imagine the stench.  Some of the poundticipants probably wouldn’t even notice it.

I agree.  Remember Mercedes and her (puppy) pee-pads in the hotel room?  The humanity and bargains with the devil the make remind me of addicts.  It's ok that I did THIS.....at least I didn't do THAT.....or if I did THAT that it wasn't as bad as HER that did THAT...….and so on until you're bedridden, corrupting your children, and shining your crippled brother-in law on to minamising a pee spill in an wheelchair in the dirt in south Texas (that nobody but thousands of Pounders saw, of course) and bundling you into the back of a stinky van back to (absolutely nothin) in Ohio.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:02 AM, Colleenna said:

Fortunately the cantaloupe I had was terrible, so we wound up throwing it away. And the bananas are turning slightly brown, so this afternoon they will get cut up and frozen for my smoothies. Don't got no crackers or sugar free jam, but I has yogurt --- Fage plain. Steely resolve may save me. But the cukes and romaine ......

When available, I buy the sugar kiss melons.  I have never had a bad one.  I never can tell if the Athena ones are ripe so I tend not to get them.  I am about to split a Montiel tuscan garden pizza with Mr T, and we will finish off the kiwis and grapes that we already had.  New grapes arrived today.      Unfortunately, PF milano cookies were on sale.   

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

I’m eating grapes. Someone stop me. They’re addictive. 

Last year I discovered the joy that is frozen grapes. My first thought was "damn, these could be addictive." 

My second thought was "How the hell did I get to be 70 years old and not know about frozen grapes?" Six of them makes the perfect post-workout snack. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm putting "get grapes for freezer" on my To Do list.  I've never tried it either.  I do have an onion in my freezer.  lol  Don't ask......well, the grocery store put an onion in the same bag of 2 frozen veggies.  I didn't notice and put the entire bag in the freezer.  Later, I saw the frozen onion.  Thankfully, the freezer doesn't smell.  I'm not sure if it's still good. My mom said I could make onion rings out of it.   But, I don't really make onion rings.  I like them, but, not part of my meal plan. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Last year I discovered the joy that is frozen grapes. My first thought was "damn, these could be addictive." 

They were recommended to me during a bar review course decades ago for low cal stress snacking.  I sometimes hear it recommended  during tax season as well for people doing their own tax returns. 

19 hours ago, Twopper said:

When available, I buy the sugar kiss melons.  I have never had a bad one.  I never can tell if the Athena ones are ripe so I tend not to get them.

Actually, it is called a Golden Kiss, and the one I am eating is the first one I have not thought was perfect.  Flavor is good, but it was probably picked a few days too soon.  Oh, well....

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, Twopper said:

They were recommended to me during a bar review course decades ago for low cal stress snacking.  I sometimes hear it recommended  during tax season as well for people doing their own tax returns. 

They are best when just on the verge of freezing, but not hard frozen.  Little sweet pops of joy...

Spoiler

Hi Pounders!  Sorry I quit through my beloved LIVE CHAT I lost the thread.  It was over100 degrees in the house till 3:00 am, everything's out of place, in the front yard and back because NOW, after28 years, we are going to have the wood floors of our spectacular 790 sq.ft house redone.  Th computer screen in my son's car melted, had to replace!  Thursday morning, when I couldn't find my BRA, forget car keys,   I called the whole thing off, didn't go to work, or get anything productive done.

But I did rewatch Sean's episode with more attention .  Since I can't reply to the live chat I think some of this stuff belongs in the small talk forum.  I will finish reading live chat and comment on other stuff in the "Sean" forum.

She-shed:  I love, celebrate, and envy the idea: have only sons....

However: the fire, the garden hose and the fire truck is not funny:  in California this is a nightmare every year where a where we have conflagrations every year.  It starts with a weird hot wind at night, the smell of smoke, ashes on your car, face masks at work, looks like fog all day,like you smoke 4 packs of cigarettes by going outside...I don't think something burning down is funny anymore...    Just had to say.... will comment later on Sean thread....Cats are enjoying the current "Cooth" here

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Carboncat said:
  Reveal spoiler

Hi Pounders!  Sorry I quit through my beloved LIVE CHAT I lost the thread.  It was over100 degrees in the house till 3:00 am, everything's out of place, in the front yard and back because NOW, after28 years, we are going to have the wood floors of our spectacular 790 sq.ft house redone.  Th computer screen in my son's car melted, had to replace!  Thursday morning, when I couldn't find my BRA, forget car keys,   I called the whole thing off, didn't go to work, or get anything productive done.

But I did rewatch Sean's episode with more attention .  Since I can't reply to the live chat I think some of this stuff belongs in the small talk forum.  I will finish reading live chat and comment on other stuff in the "Sean" forum.

She-shed:  I love, celebrate, and envy the idea: have only sons....

However: the fire, the garden hose and the fire truck is not funny:  in California this is a nightmare every year where a where we have conflagrations every year.  It starts with a weird hot wind at night, the smell of smoke, ashes on your car, face masks at work, looks like fog all day,like you smoke 4 packs of cigarettes by going outside...I don't think something burning down is funny anymore...    Just had to say.... will comment later on Sean thread....Cats are enjoying the current "Cooth" here

I meant to say "coolth".

I’m probably the only person on here who’s been over 600 lbs. so I thought I might talk about what some of these skin issues feel like. I had a small lymphedema on my right side about the size of a golf ball on the inside of my leg just above my ankle. A bit bigger one on my left side in the same place. Maybe tennis ball size. I don’t really remember when it started. My legs were so large that it didn’t really affect me much. It felt a bit like a rock just under the skin. They’re softer now, but still there. Maybe a bit smaller. Kind of floating in the loose skin there. I think it’s bigger on the left because my circulation is worse on that side due to a couple of knee surgeries.

The sores that get in the skin folds are painful. I remember a pain scale where 10 was heart attack or labor pains, 9 was kidney/gall stones or a blown out knee. I’ve had angina, gall stones and a blown out knee. These sores are 7-8. They’d get worse when I was on antibiotics. They would kill off the good bacteria on my skin that kept the bad ones in check. Some were bacterial and some were fungal. Moving would pull and hurt like crazy. Kind of like a heat rash on steroids. Definitely don’t miss that. 

I had one of those Angie groin infections. I think it started in a spot that just didn’t get enough air. It was a 9 on the pain scale. I had to be put under anesthetic to drain it, and it had to be packed by a visiting nurse every other day. Took 6 weeks to heal. It came back twice. Once it broke on its own during a long car ride before I got home to the doctor. I’ve never smelt anything that bad and I worked in a morgue in high school. The last time they put me under again to drain it but it wasn’t as bad, so didn’t need to be packed. 

I’ve wondered how people like Penny and James are still alive. I was never bed bound. I think it has to do with access to medical care. I think they both are very willing to call an ambulance for every little issue. Quick care and lots of meds probably make the difference, at least in the short run. Since losing weight I’ve been able to go off blood pressure meds, angina meds, and pain meds. I never got diabetic. 

It did take accepting that I was a food addict, and getting rid of the enabling/sabotaging roommate who was also a food addict. She was on meds for blood sugar and kidney issues. It also took accepting responsibility for my actions. She died a couple years after I left. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 14

Hey, folks! If you're one of the many who used to watch My Big Fat Fabulous Life & gave up on it becuz of narcissistic ol' Twitney, here's your chance to tell her what you think of her.

Twit is currently in  FIRST PLACE in the Primetimer Awards' category, "stick myself with a fork in my eye: worst person on reality TV." You can vote for her until June 21, so don't delay. Twit loves to win phoney awards trumped up by TLC. Let's give her one she actually deserves! 😊

• Useful 2
  • Love 2