Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

On 3/25/2019 at 2:44 PM, Jeeves said:

I didn't realize it when I posted yesterday, but all three of the super morbidly obese people featured in that lineup of shows on Discovery Life, died either during or shortly after filming. Besides Dominique, there was a young man in Guam (the "900 Pound Man" show, sorry I can't remember his name right now), and Keith Martin (the "Fattest Man in Britain" show). 

TBH I think the morbidity quotient on M600PL is almost surprisingly low, given the 600-800 pound weights the patients have attained and the stress that kind of weight puts on the human body. I think I've said before, that maybe one reason Dr. Now seems less indulgent of the patients' BS this season, is he's seen so many patients die at those extreme weights, and can probably feel the hours ticking away while people like Jeanne sit there and try to bullshit him about what they're doing. Or while James K and his girlfriend Trashzilla have an answer and excuse for everything and then blame Dr. Now for "not helping." 

For us watching TV it may look like a game, but these patients are fucking around with their very lives - even if they think they're just dealing with mean old Dr. Now and a bunch of rules they don't understand or think are silly.

Sigh. 

Yikes, I remember all of them.   My television habit is "fatty shows" and "crime shows."  I think the first of Dr. Now's patients were Melissa and Ashley, and I think he put them both in the hospital and did the surgery without telling them to go home and lose "tirty pound in a munt."  So I think he has been refining his treatment plans over the years.  It is a shame he cannot require everyone in the immediate family and/or household to go to family therapy as we don't see many of these people get to this weight in isolation. 

I survived income tax hell yesterday; today I discovered my brake light had burned out.  I am dealing with all of this without stress eating, despite feeling a bit on the stabby side.

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Twopper said:

I survived income tax hell yesterday; today I discovered my brake light had burned out.  I am dealing with all of this without stress eating, despite feeling a bit on the stabby side.

Sorry for your bad day.  

I, too, had a very stressful day yesterday, and I was contemplating stuffing my face with chips.  I kept envisioning Dr. Now, saying that that's just normal life, which shouldn't lead to eating.  It's just part of life to have a bad day once in a while.  Honestly, that helped me.

The thing about so many 600+ lb'ers is that they think that every tiny stressful event (like showering) is eased by eating.

While I cannot imagine the amount of food they eat in one sitting, or one day, I do tend to grab and eat without thinking, after stress, but I envision Dr. Now's stern warning, and it honestly helps me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Twopper said:

Yikes, I remember all of them.   My television habit is "fatty shows" and "crime shows."  I think the first of Dr. Now's patients were Melissa and Ashley, and I think he put them both in the hospital and did the surgery without telling them to go home and lose "tirty pound in a munt."  So I think he has been refining his treatment plans over the years.  It is a shame he cannot require everyone in the immediate family and/or household to go to family therapy as we don't see many of these people get to this weight in isolation. 

Okay  Twopper were we separated at birth because those are among my favorite shows as well along with science fiction, foodie related shows, paranormal stuff -- major The Dead Files fan girl here -- and any shows where I learn something new like Mysteries at the Museum

Sorry about your recent difficulties and hope that things get better for you soon.😊

• LOL 1
Just now, Sterling said:

I, too, had a very stressful day yesterday, and I was contemplating stuffing my face with chips.  I kept envisioning Dr. Now, saying that that's just normal life, which shouldn't lead to eating.  It's just part of life to have a bad day once in a while.  Honestly, that helped me.

Well, I was a tad nervous on my way to the auto parts store  (plus this stupid song got stuck in my head). 

I really didn't want to get cited for not having a brake light, and I was out in school traffic.  When I pulled into the auto parts lot there were 2 cop cars, and I was relieved they didn't notice.  Anyway the guy at the counter gave me the wrong bulb at first, but he finally got it right.  It was some brand I had never heard of, so I went to Walmart and got the Sylvania one.  Mr. Twopper replaced it for me so life is good.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

This may be TMI - but anyone who doesn't want to read a first-hand account of child molestation can stop reading NOW.

Ours was not the "Cleaver" family.  There were four children before Female Birth Vessel divorced Alcoholic Father.  Shortly after the divorce, FBV "married" a man (because it was more respectable to say you were married instead of shacking up) and he moved in (let's refer to him as Equal Opportunity Molester).  I was only about 4, so I don't have a clear memory of the time frame.  My first memory of life was being about 4, and EOM had me standing up on a toilet, rubbing his penis against my genitals, whispering, "Doesn't that feel good?  Don't tell your mom about this.  It's our little secret.  But doesn't it feel good?"  

FBV caught him the first time.  She told him not to do it again.  She continually told him not to do it again every time she found out it was doing it for the next 12 years, until I told him I would drive a screwdriver through his heart if he ever touched me or even said anything inappropriate to me again. 

I later found out that if EOM wasn't molesting me, he was molesting one of my three brothers.  FBV and EOM had a child together, but she was the princess of the household, and the rest of us had to "pay" for everything we got, and she had only to point her finger at anything and it became hers.  Imagine the fun of sharing a bedroom.  My half was comprised of stuff that Goodwill wouldn't have accepted as donations, and her half looked like the Toys 'R Us warehouse.

Most of this happened back in the 50s and early 60s.  There were guidance counselors at school, but they were mostly to help guide school-related decisions - how to apply for college, classes to take for specific degree programs, etc.  There was no one of whom I was aware that a child could go to.  There was no Dr. Phil, giving out toll-free numbers to call for help.  It was a life of isolation, because I sure didn't want to have friends come to the house, for fear that they would be molested as well.

The good news is that FBV and EOM are both dead.  Ironically, EOM turned right on red in front of a garbage truck.  The drivers of that truck (who were, mercifully, uninjured) didn't realize that they had just taken out the biggest piece of garbage of their careers.  After that wonderful day, I tried to build a new relationship with FBV, and asked her why she didn't protect me from the abuse.  Her answer:  "I just didn't know what to do to make it stop."  I'm trying to figure out why "Do nothing and let him continue" was #1 on her list of options.

The better/best news is that I became a real-life Cinderella.  I met an amazing young man ("Prince Charming") when I was 16.  We married when I was 17.  There were years of therapy and personal growth as he convinced me that he wasn't going anywhere, but he was going to stay with me while I became the person I was meant to be.  We have been married almost 55 years, and every day is better than the day before.  

So, yes . . . it happens.  And it is not rare for the FBV to know about it.  There needs to be a special place in hell for those kinds of people.

Yours is one of the saddest stories I've ever read.  I'm so so very sorry that you had to endure that, and I wish I could hug you.  To read to the end and see that you found peace and love is amazing.  

I actually love your invention of the acronym FBV.   I'm going to steal it.  While I didn't suffer nearly what you did, I still need to use that term, for my own personal reasons.

I'm reading a book about adult children of abusive parents, where they finally estrange themselves from the parents, and what relief they find.  In your case, FBV's death was a permanent estrangement, but most find the same thing you found, when they finally confront FBV as adults, where FBV says, "I didn't know what to do to stop it".  Um, yeah, you idiot pile of crap, there were a million ways to stop it.  You chose not to.  Oh, and most families have a similar dynamic to what you had:  a Golden Child (your stepsister who was handed everything), and a Scapegoat (unfortunately, you).

You have no idea how happy I was to read your ending.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sterling said:

Yours is one of the saddest stories I've ever read.  I'm so so very sorry that you had to endure that, and I wish I could hug you.  To read to the end and see that you found peace and love is amazing.  

I actually love your invention of the acronym FBV.   I'm going to steal it.  While I didn't suffer nearly what you did, I still need to use that term, for my own personal reasons.

I'm reading a book about adult children of abusive parents, where they finally estrange themselves from the parents, and what relief they find.  In your case, FBV's death was a permanent estrangement, but most find the same thing you found, when they finally confront FBV as adults, where FBV says, "I didn't know what to do to stop it".  Um, yeah, you idiot pile of crap, there were a million ways to stop it.  You chose not to.  Oh, and most families have a similar dynamic to what you had:  a Golden Child (your stepsister who was handed everything), and a Scapegoat (unfortunately, you).

You have no idea how happy I was to read your ending.

Thanks so much for your kind words.  I did, in fact, estrange myself from FBV about three years before her death.  As much as I had tried to be a good Christian and keep a "respect your parent" relationship going, she finally crossed a line for me emotionally, and I almost felt God saying, "Okay.  You're supposed to forgive 70 x 7 times.  She just went to 70 x 7 . . . plus 1.  Walk away."  I literally felt that a 5-ton weight had come off my shoulders when I walked out of the room, got in my car, and drove home.  And I've never regretted the choice.

BTW . . . feel free to use the acronym.  When I speak of her to others, I use her first name.  She never earned the title of "mother."  I'm sorry that you are in a position that you need to use it . . . but I deeply understand.  

I did not allow the experiences of my childhood to make me bitter.  Had I done that, I would have become just like her . . . and that was NOT gonna happen!!

Again . . . thank you, @Sterling.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Sterling said:

I actually love your invention of the acronym FBV.   I'm going to steal it.

Sending hugs @AZChristian

I had a Dr. Now sighting last night.    Actually it was in a strange dream I had about getting a temporary job that morphed into a real one.  I went out into the parking lot to make a phone call, and there was Dr. Now in his lab coat with the blingy stethoscope around his neck.  I don't usually let reality people into my dreams, but I did have a rather bizarre one about Kody Brown once.   I am sure I dreamed this because of all the time I spend on this site.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Sending hugs @AZChristian

I had a Dr. Now sighting last night.    Actually it was in a strange dream I had about getting a temporary job that morphed into a real one.  I went out into the parking lot to make a phone call, and there was Dr. Now in his lab coat with the blingy stethoscope around his neck.  I don't usually let reality people into my dreams, but I did have a rather bizarre one about Kody Brown once.   I am sure I dreamed this because of all the time I spend on this site.  

Thanks.  I'll take all the hugs I can get!

I'd say you had one dream and one nightmare there, @Twopper.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:24 PM, mmecorday said:

Have you ever picked up a bad eating habit from one of the people profiled on this show? I'm not talking about the fabulous skinless chicken and orange diet, either. I can't remember which 600-pounder ate taquitos covered in cheese, but for some reason I thought that actually looked good. And now that's the only way I can eat them. Granted, I have three taquitos at a time instead of a whole box, and they are the chicken and cheese and not the beef and cheese (which I'm told are very greasy.) And I don't dump a whole block of processed cheese on them -- just about 1/4 of a cup of shredded cheddar. Man, I love those things.

Not sure I am ready to try that.  About once every two years I buy a box of those frozen taquitos;  I can eat 5 or 6, but I dip them in sour cream instead of putting cheese on them.  And then I am stuffed for the rest of the day.   Mr. Twopper can't stand them, so I have to sneak them when he isn't home.   Oh, dear..... Just confessed to secret eating.    I am so doomed.   Watch for me on the show in a few years😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Twopper said:

I've got to admit that when I saw this yesterday, I thought "Gee, I could 'reward' myself for getting through income tax hell Saturday by over-feeding myself!"  Well, I've gotten through my own income tax hell now, and haven't over-eaten in response to it despite it being every bit as much hell as I had feared. But I did start out by going to McD's this morning for the first fast-food breakfast I've had in I-can't-remember-how-long!

I'm feeling more depressed than stabby, and I kind of wish that something with a high fat and sugar content sounded good to me. I haven't yet gotten to the point where going for a walk or a workout sounds like an acceptable reward.

1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Okay  Twopper were we separated at birth because those are among my favorite shows as well along with science fiction, foodie related shows, paranormal stuff -- major The Dead Files fan girl here -- and any shows where I learn something new like Mysteries at the Museum

I also like the old sitcoms and mystery shows.  I enjoy old episodes of Perry Mason.  I especially like "The Golden Girls" and "Mama's Family."

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Miracle Maxie said:

I'm feeling more depressed than stabby, and I kind of wish that something with a high fat and sugar content sounded good to me. I haven't yet gotten to the point where going for a walk or a workout sounds like an acceptable reward. 

We have theatre tickets for a matinee this afternoon so that is my reward.  Normally we go out to dinner to celebrate the taxes being filed, but we are in Lent and aren't eating out if we can avoid it. 

13 minutes ago, Twopper said:

We have theatre tickets for a matinee this afternoon so that is my reward.  Normally we go out to dinner to celebrate the taxes being filed, but we are in Lent and aren't eating out if we can avoid it. 

So Twopper since you mentioned having matinee theatre tickets and I am looking for someone to see a movie with, how about you just hop on down or up or sideways--don't know where you live, to Virginia and we can catch a matinee together? BTW the movie I have in mind is US.

4 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

So Twopper since you mentioned having matinee theatre tickets and I am looking for someone to see a movie with, how about you just hop on down or up or sideways--don't know where you live, to Virginia and we can catch a matinee together? BTW the movie I have in mind is US.

We are seeing a local production of the play "Steel Magnolias," because a friend is playing Annelle.  I think they are bringing it back to the movies this year, so I will hop a flight from Atlanta to DC to watch that with you.  We sold a family house in Arlington in 2015 or 16 so I seldom get up that way now.  Sniff......

• Love 1
Just now, Twopper said:

We are seeing a local production of the play "Steel Magnolias," because a friend is playing Annelle.  I think they are bringing it back to the movies this year, so I will hop a flight from Atlanta to DC to watch that with you.  We sold a family house in Arlington in 2015 or 16 so I seldom get up that way now.  Sniff......

Aww, darn it guess where I live in Virginia? Yep, ARLINGTON!

BTW, not sure if you are familiar with the movie US but it is so very the polar opposite of Steel Magnolias (loved that movie) that I definitely need to watch it with someone. Pretty scary stuff; set the ticket sales record for a horror movie opening.

Enjoy the play and have a great day!😊

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I’ve also been doing taxes. As a transplanted Okie in Canada, I have to file US and Canadian taxes. I don’t mind that, but hate paying taxes in two countries on the same income. 

I can only offer hugs.  I did mine a couple weeks ago - I have only one country, but two different states.  Given that I live in a place with very expensive housing, very high property taxes and very state high income tax, the tax reform did not work in my favor.  

PS  On a totally unrelated note, the subject of Dr. Now's stitching often comes up in different episode threads.  Now that I have had personal experience with it to add to the teeny bit I knew professionally (very little, since I deal exclusively with the meds, not surgery) - stitching doesn't matter at all, what matters is how well the edges are brought together.  That's what determines resulting scar.  The stitches will just be taken out and the little dots they leave will fade.  No sign whatsoever of where sutures were laying across my skin - just the teeny scabs (already half of them have fallen off) where the sutures went in and out of the skin.  So stop blaming Dr. Now.  It's not embroidery because the goal is entirely different. 🙂

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I know that doing your taxes is a drag and can be nerve wracking.

But look at it this way, after April 15th we won't have to see those annoying Turbo Tax Free commercials, ya know the tax service that's:

free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free 

At least I hope not.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments and typo.
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

But look at it this way, after April 15th we won't have to see those annoying Turbo Tax Free commercials, ya know the tax service that's:

Oh god, I *HATE* them.  Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Oh god, I *HATE* them.  Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate!

OMG, me too! It was kind of amusing the first or second time but when it seems that a BILLION of those commercials have been shown..................... Aarrrrrgh!

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

Thanks for reminding me why we don’t have a tv anymore. 

Me neither! I gave it up 22 years ago. Sure don't miss the commercials, and when I watch a free video online that includes them, it's an unwelcome blast from the past.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:34 AM, AZChristian said:

Thanks so much for your kind words.  I did, in fact, estrange myself from FBV about three years before her death.  As much as I had tried to be a good Christian and keep a "respect your parent" relationship going, she finally crossed a line for me emotionally, and I almost felt God saying, "Okay.  You're supposed to forgive 70 x 7 times.  She just went to 70 x 7 . . . plus 1.  Walk away."  I literally felt that a 5-ton weight had come off my shoulders when I walked out of the room, got in my car, and drove home.  And I've never regretted the choice.

BTW . . . feel free to use the acronym.  When I speak of her to others, I use her first name.  She never earned the title of "mother."  I'm sorry that you are in a position that you need to use it . . . but I deeply understand.  

I did not allow the experiences of my childhood to make me bitter.  Had I done that, I would have become just like her . . . and that was NOT gonna happen!!

Again . . . thank you, @Sterling.

I saw so much of my own story in yours. There were six kids in my family, and my other two sisters continue to pretend nothing happened. In addition to the molestation, my FBV used to retort, after I would tell her my abuser/brothers had stolen something of mine (like money), "You should have hidden it better.". My parents have been long dead, but my abusive brothers frequently break into tears now just at the sight of me, and I know why. They're very afraid they're going to end up at that big barbeque down below..... next to your FBV .

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/30/2019 at 9:39 AM, Twopper said:

I don't usually let reality people into my dreams, but I did have a rather bizarre one about Kody Brown once.   I am sure I dreamed this because of all the time I spend on this site.  

I watched one too many 'Beat Bobby Flay' one night and ended up dreaming about Bobby and cooking in a restaurant. 

• LOL 3

Nikki posted this on the 600 lb FB page. If its not allowed please delete it. 

Dear My 600 lb Life-Please bring back the people that want to be on the show. Not the whiners, complainers, the name blamers etc.. I miss the shows that actually show progress by month 2; that actually allow surgery at month 2-3 and that show a 600 lb person down 400 plus lbs by month 12. I am really tired of watching (yet I still watch in hopes) of the people that by month 9 (like last night) are just getting the surgery at 1 hour and 35 mins into a 2 hour show. Is losing over 300 lbs terrific. Heck yes BUT it seems like lately each episode is the same-cue the gross houses, cue the hoarding, cue the 'we have alot of pets', cue the whoa is me, cue the "i can't get into the size car", cue the excuses.... I realize most of the cues are why they are 600lbs but by gosh if by the 2nd weigh in they haven't dropped the 100lbs find someone else that will do it. Why do you have to only show those that live in old, gross homes? Is it b/c they are the only ones that can't afford it? Show a middle class person in a suburb that struggles to lose weight, yet sticks to the diet, goes to a gym and doesn't blame every Tom, Dick and Harry for how they are. Off my soap box now!

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Nikki posted this on the 600 lb FB page. If its not allowed please delete it. 

Dear My 600 lb Life-Please bring back the people that want to be on the show. Not the whiners, complainers, the name blamers etc.. I miss the shows that actually show progress by month 2; that actually allow surgery at month 2-3 and that show a 600 lb person down 400 plus lbs by month 12. I am really tired of watching (yet I still watch in hopes) of the people that by month 9 (like last night) are just getting the surgery at 1 hour and 35 mins into a 2 hour show. Is losing over 300 lbs terrific. Heck yes BUT it seems like lately each episode is the same-cue the gross houses, cue the hoarding, cue the 'we have alot of pets', cue the whoa is me, cue the "i can't get into the size car", cue the excuses.... I realize most of the cues are why they are 600lbs but by gosh if by the 2nd weigh in they haven't dropped the 100lbs find someone else that will do it. Why do you have to only show those that live in old, gross homes? Is it b/c they are the only ones that can't afford it? Show a middle class person in a suburb that struggles to lose weight, yet sticks to the diet, goes to a gym and doesn't blame every Tom, Dick and Harry for how they are. Off my soap box now!

Just a note that this is another Nikki -- not the one who was a poundticipant.

5 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

The post was made by a Nikki DeBray Atkins, although she linked to an article about Nikki Webster within her post.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I know Nikki had gotten married and I think I got confused. As much as I watch the show, she has a point. I want to see people who work hard. Yes there are failures but its getting so long drawn out (2 hours and some just have the surgery!), same script, same Lola and her advice....... maybe the concept is getting old. It seems we are getting so much more airport and vehicle drama too this year. 

So, I had a doctor's appointment today (routine annual wellness visit) and in the lab waiting area, I accidentally sat down in one of the gigantichairs like Dr. Now has. OMG. I'm no slender thing, but I could have fit another person in that chair with me. Gave me a feeling for exactly how big some of these patients are. 

Unfortunately the lab tech who drew my blood was probably too big for the chair. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Anyone here familiar with a european film from the early 70s La Grande Bouffe? It's about a group of four old friends who meet at a country estate for a weekend, to cook and eat themselves to death. Literally. It was scandalous at the time, even in France and Italy, but by current standards would not be so far out, though it is far fetched.

Anyway, I was reminded of this movie today, for the first time since I've been watching this series, and it made me think that quite a few of the poundticipants do want to eat themselves to death, and that if they could do it quickly and with little to no suffering as in this movie, that might just opt-in. At least they would have gourmet meals, rather than fast food and delivery pizza. Here's a trailer; it's available to watch online for a couple of dollars.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 4:35 PM, Twopper said:

I was watching Amber's episode the other day and he just told her to lose 20 pound in one munt (she was 657 pounds to start!). She only lost 17 pounds and I expected him to say she "could have done little bit better," told her to add in more exercise and try again to show she could sustain the weight loss. Instead he said she was "close enough" and approved her for surgery! I can't see him doing that today.

• Love 2
(edited)

So since we can discuss pretty much anything within this topic............

Whoop, whoop, whoop! Congratulations to our Virginia Cavaliers, National Champions! You guys are KINGS Of THE WORLD!!!

BTW, several days ago on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon they had four sets of puppies in a race to a bowl of dog food, four puppies for each team in the then Final Four, and the Virginia Cavaliers puppies won the race! 

Gotta love puppies.😍

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Whoop, whoop, whoop! Congratulations to our Virginia Cavaliers, National Champions! You guys are KINGS Of THE WORLD!!!

Yes!! Wahoowa!!!

Years ago we toured Monticello with our young daughter, and we looked down from the mountain at Charlottesville, and I said "you might go to college here one day," and she rolled her eyes at me.  She did her undergrad at Duke, then got her PhD from UVa so I guess I am a bit of a fortune teller.     I was going to wear a Virginia t-shirt today, but I know a lot of SEC fans who were disappointed that Auburn lost to Virginia, so I decided not to wear it for a few days. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

Yes!! Wahoowa!!!

Years ago we toured Monticello with our young daughter, and we looked down from the mountain at Charlottesville, and I said "you might go to college here one day," and she rolled her eyes at me.  She did her undergrad at Duke, then got her PhD from UVa so I guess I am a bit of a fortune teller.     I was going to wear a Virginia t-shirt today, but I know a lot of SEC fans who were disappointed that Auburn lost to Virginia, so I decided not to wear it for a few days. 

Hey there Twopper! Break out that T-shirt when you feel safe!

Too funny that you mention fortune telling since I just started watching an episode of Hoarders on A&E where the hoarder is named Leza--it's a particularly nasty hoard-- and she's a FORTUNE TELLER! Hee.😆

2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

So since we can discuss pretty much anything within this topic............

BTW, several days ago on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon they had four sets of puppies in a race to a bowl of dog food, four puppies for each team in the then Final Four, and the Virginia Cavaliers puppies won the race! 

Gotta love puppies.😍

Tony Bennett graduated from Preble HS in Green Bay and then played for his dad at UWGB.  His mom and dad still live in GB.  So, there are a ton of happy UVA fans here as well!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

Tony Bennett graduated from Preble HS in Green Bay and then played for his dad at UWGB.  His mom and dad still live in GB.  So, there are a ton of happy UVA fans here as well!

Hi fonfereksglen so glad to know that there are UVA fans across the country and not just here in Virginia! 😊

5 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hi fonfereksglen so glad to know that there are UVA fans across the country and not just here in Virginia! 😊

Considering for much of the time frame between 1978 until 2009, we lived in NC, MD, and NOVA, the ACC hoops world was a large part of my college sports fandom. So enjoy!

• Love 1
On 4/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, Colleenna said:

So, I had a doctor's appointment today (routine annual wellness visit) and in the lab waiting area, I accidentally sat down in one of the gigantichairs like Dr. Now has. OMG. I'm no slender thing, but I could have fit another person in that chair with me. Gave me a feeling for exactly how big some of these patients are. 

Unfortunately the lab tech who drew my blood was probably too big for the chair. 

A few years ago, I took my brother to a cardiologist appt.  The nearest restroom was located next to the bariatric clinic.  That was the first time I sat on the giant type of toilet that Lupe broke and fell in.  My favorite guilty pleasure  moment of this show.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I have stuff to do and wanted some background so I turned on James K's story. I realize that I watch/listen to these shows over and over - like a 3 yr old who wants to hear the same bedtime story every night for a year. 😃

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Part of the post WLS program (at least for the gastric bypass, a couple of friends had this) is eat protein first, and they take a lot of supplements, and vitamins every day.     Since they can have malabsorption (?) and dumping syndrome (you don't want to know), you can end up with all kinds of mineral, and vitamin deficiencies, anemia (in one case I know of, this was a big issue), and osteoporosis.  The people that say surgery is the easy way out are wrong.   

A bizarre story about the friend who had the roux en y (spelling), the most radical type of bypass.    He had a local support group, and they were from all over the area.    They each brought or supplied a dish for each meeting, and met in individual homes.     His wife was appalled at what some of the participants brought for food.   She expected a lot of protein, but instead almost all were the usual potluck fare, that was nothing but empty calories, and sugar.  She wasn't in the meeting, but could hear, and the people who brought this stuff were complaining that their bypass wasn't working, and saying it must not have been done correctly.   

Almost all lost quite a bit of weight in the hospital, and in the liquid diet month or so, but by the time my friend saw them it was usually quite a while after the surgery, and they had regained, and added more weight.      Her husband lost everything he was hoping for, and was very compliant for a while, but then started eating a lot more, gradually, and regained at least a third of what he lost.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3

Another challenge of weight loss surgery, even of the sleeve gastrectomy, is adequate hydration. The small stomachs that cannot hold much food cannot hold much water either. From what I've read, the patients are generally told to sip water all throughout the day, to avoid dehydration, but even so they still do not pee very much and it is generally a dark color. For people who tend to perspire heavily, this would not work -- the amount of lost water could not be replaced. And for people like me who tend to form kidney stones and so need to drink a few quarts of water daily to flush out our kidneys, we could never have weight loss surgery. In fact, kidney stones tends to be one of the complications of WLS due to the reduced hydration.

• Useful 7

I think Dr. Now's program needs to be more specific about the post-surgery liquid diet.    Doug, and others I've seen on the show, have liquids such as, commercial cream soups that are high sodium and high calorie.   

For example, they're showing the Doug first episode, and he's inhaling banana pudding.    His wife has had some kind of WLS or lap band, and she's commenting that he's really eating it fast.      

31 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think Dr. Now's program needs to be more specific about the post-surgery liquid diet.    Doug, and others I've seen on the show, have liquids such as, commercial cream soups that are high sodium and high calorie.   

For example, they're showing the Doug first episode, and he's inhaling banana pudding.    His wife has had some kind of WLS or lap band, and she's commenting that he's really eating it fast.      

Maybe they do know what they are supposed to avoid liquid wise but don't care? Or figure its the closest they can get? 

• Love 4
On 9/26/2018 at 12:27 AM, Miss Chevious said:

What I don’t get is this: Dr. Now tells a patient to “lose tirdy pounds in one munt” and by following his diet plan, they actually DO IT. (I’m talking about the good ones like Diana) And most of them don’t do anything extra like exercise or walking around the block. Just by changing their eating habits they lose these large amounts of weight in a relatively short time.

Now I decided I needed to lose some weight (actually my scale decided for me) and I have changed my eating habits. I’ve been eating healthy foods, no carbs and no sugar, alcohol or caffeine. Sticking to 1200 calories a day. I’ve been doing this religiously for almost 3 weeks and have lost a total of only 6 lbs. Plus I try to move around more. 

i just don’t get it. How do these massively huge people lose all this weight and I just lose a tiny bit in the same time frame.  And they don’t exercise either! Life just ain’t fair.

I think it's easier for morbidly obese people to lose weight at first.  The more close you are to normal weight, it's a lot harder to lose.  Your body wants to hang on to what small weight you want to lose.  When these huge people get close to more normal weight, their weight loss will slow down, and it will be much harder for them also.

Edited by suev3333
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/9/2019 at 8:53 PM, aliya said:

I have stuff to do and wanted some background so I turned on James K's story. I realize that I watch/listen to these shows over and over - like a 3 yr old who wants to hear the same bedtime story every night for a year. 😃

I again have Hannah Kritzek(?), the  primoidal dwarf woman,  Little and Looking for Love, the high school graduation one, not the later one when surly and spoiled and job hunting.

57 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I again have Hannah Kritzek(?), the  primoidal dwarf woman,  Little and Looking for Love, the high school graduation one, not the later one when surly and spoiled and job hunting.

Olivia, Tara, Paula and Nikki are my 600 lbers who I often put on while reading.  I do realize I am weird.

This season we learned the dangers of grapes and oranges.  We get fresh fruit bowls at work once a week, courtesy of my employer, and I noticed that every time grapes are gone first, then oranges, peaches when in season are gone quickly too, but pears and apples tend to stick around for a couple days, especially the pears.  Are pears poor innocent fruit that lacks addictive properties of grapes and oranges, or are they the most devious and dangerous so most people avoid them instinctively (and I am the only sucker who eats them because I can't bear seeing produce go to waste)?  

• LOL 3