Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hey aliya. So you are one of US too! 😊 I wish we could have an Instant Pot topic here but this is a tv forum so no bueno I guess. 😢 BTW, what have you made in yours?

I hard boil eggs, I used to make pototoes before I went low carb (did you know they make low carb Cadbury eggs?) :  )  veg chili, and I got a springform pan for Christmas; I want to make a cheese cake, which is OK for diabetics. I bought some slow cooker stuff from Omaha steaks for my son and have used that function a couple of times, but I'm not much of a slow cooker person, hence the IP.  For some reason, I am afraid to make beans in mine, but I'll work up to it. 

I use my IP, but I really use my air fryer. That needs its own thread.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, aliya said:

For some reason, I am afraid to make beans in mine, but I'll work up to it. 

It took me awhile to try it for beans, too 😉. In the last few weeks I’ve made lentils and also a bean soup. Really good, easy, and quick. 

(edited)

I really like my Instant Pot. I use the small (3 quart) sized Ultra model, mainly for hard-boiled eggs and to make yogurt. I admit, I also have the 6 quart size Ultra. I started with the 6 quart - Amazon deal of the day - and then found the 3 quart on sale. If I had it to do over I'd just have the 3 quart, which I use more than the bigger one. But I probably paid, for both of them, about what the 6 quart Ultra usually costs. I really don't regret having both of them.

Anyway, I used the large IP in slow cooker mode. Then I found that the silicone seal on the lid had permanently absorbed the odors of the spices I used when slow cooking that pot roast. I ordered a set of replacement seals - because no I don't want my eggs etc. saturated with that odor.  Yuk.

Then, I found that you can get glass lids for the IPs, which I did, to use for slow cooking and yogurt - well, anything other than pressure cooking. A much better solution. I'm giving away my crock pots since my IPs do slow cooking just fine.

Edited by Jeeves
spelling matters
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I really like my Instant Pot. I use the small (3 quart) sized Ultra model, mainly for hard-boiled eggs and to make yogurt. I admit, I also have the 6 quart size Ultra. I stared with the 6 quart - Amazon deal of the day - and then found the 3 quart on sale. If I had it to do over I'd just have the 3 quart, which I use more than the bigger one. But I probably paid, for both of them, about what the 6 quart Ultra usually costs. I really don't regret having both of them.

Anyway, I used the large IP in slow cooker mode. Then I found that the silicone seal on the lid had permanently absorbed the odors of the spices I used when slow cooking that pot roast. I ordered a set of replacement seals - because no I don't want my eggs etc. saturated with that odor.  Yuk.

Then, I found that you can get glass lids for the IPs, which I did, to use for slow cooking and yogurt - well, anything other than pressure cooking. A much better solution. I'm giving away my crock pots since my IPs do slow cooking just fine.

I love my instant pot, but wish I had bought the larger size (I have the mini pot). I had read enough to know to buy extra seals, because they do pick up strong spices.  Most of the recipes I find are for the bigger pots. Should get the glass lid, because I don't have a crockpot.

• Love 1

Keep an eye on Amazon, they often do really good deals on larger Instapots.     If you put a few on a Wish List on their site, and check it occasionally, you can see price changes.   Kohl's and other retailers have them cheap around holidays too.   

• Love 1

I watched an episode of the show last night right before bed and had a dream that I was a judge of a competition called "The Next Fat American Princess." Very obese women paraded in front of me in what appeared to the a hospitality suite at a Holiday Inn Express. Each wore a very tiny tiara. I was very protective of the contestants and heard a hotel employee make a disparaging remark about one of the women. I got all up in his face and told him I would not tolerate that kind of talk. I think my subconscious mind is trying to tell me to be nicer to the people on the show.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I watched an episode of the show last night right before bed and had a dream that I was a judge of a competition called "The Next Fat American Princess." Very obese women paraded in front of me in what appeared to the a hospitality suite at a Holiday Inn Express. Each wore a very tiny tiara. I was very protective of the contestants and heard a hotel employee make a disparaging remark about one of the women. I got all up in his face and told him I would not tolerate that kind of talk. I think my subconscious mind is trying to tell me to be nicer to the people on the show.

Or your subconscious mind is telling you not to eat pizza and pickles right before you go to bed.

• LOL 6

This forum needs a FAQ.  

After what is easily 10  plus years of filming,  the producers can't show every aspect of the journey every single journey.  Talk about boring and truly formulaic. 

Perhaps a permanent place to discuss recollections from what  is now an extensive number of patients might expain Dr. Now and his approach to his unique practice to the welcome newbies.😊

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 1
On 3/9/2019 at 9:56 AM, nokat said:

I love my instant pot, but wish I had bought the larger size (I have the mini pot). I had read enough to know to buy extra seals, because they do pick up strong spices.  Most of the recipes I find are for the bigger pots. Should get the glass lid, because I don't have a crockpot.

Heh. Troof. Za'atar and Berbere .... 

Over in the discussion of Jeanne's episode, @raiderred1 gave us the lowdown on the lack of animal control enforcement/resources in the Big Sandy, Texas, area, where Jeanne lives. I posted a reply which I hope didn't go too far off topic and thought I'd follow up with more comments over here in small talk.

One reason I hang around PTV is the variety and diversity of forum members. We have people here who live all over the US and in other countries as well. I'm not sure where everyone comes from who hangs out on this forum, but I thought I'd throw in some comments on the culture of Texas (trying to stay away from politics). 

People have said, about Jeanne, and Jeanne's mother, and the conditions in that house, and the condition of their nine neglected flea-ridden dogs: "these people need to be put in a mental hospital," "these people need intensive therapy," "those dogs need to be taken by animal control," etc.

All of those comments presuppose the availability of a good social services net. Which I think you're not going to find in rural Texas. Historically, and as a rule; I'm sure there are exceptions and I hope things are moving forward with the times. 

Of course, in the US generally, we abandoned mental hospitals except for the worst (and wealthiest) cases and the "criminally insane," back in the 1970's. Our seriously mentally ill generally are tended to by their family, or failing that, by whatever social services agencies are available to them where they live. Should they not be cooperative with social services, or live where there aren't such resources? There are the streets, and rootless, often homeless, lives for them.

There may be some types of nursing homes or assisted living facilities for Jeanne and/or her mother but they will be focused on their physical health, i.e., getting them back into shape to be discharged. Mental health is an afterthought in the US health care system. Sorry, but that's the truth. Nobody's got time or money for intensive therapy; the system is stacked in favor of dispensing prescription medications and God help you if they don't find the right pill and dosage for your condition. 

I would LOVE for someone to tell me that I'm wrong, and name the institution to which Jeanne could be admitted for the intensive psychotherapy she would need to turn her physical and mental health around. Because I don't think there is one, or at least one that she could afford.

I also believe that whatever social service agency (government, not private charity) has jurisdiction where Jeanne lives, is not lavishly funded. Certainly the laws are not set up to allow the government to intervene in Jeanne's life in the way that many here have speculated she really needs. 

As to animal control, in Texas that's for the bigger towns and cities. Also known as "the dog catcher," historically there to round up stray dogs, house them in the dog pound, and euthanize the ones not claimed by owners. I suspect the existence of dog catchers was down to fear of rabies and not a concern for animal welfare on the part of the town/county powers that be. The good ol' Texas rural attitude is that animals are property. Although many (I hope most) people don't want animals to suffer, they primarily consider an animal, be it a cow, horse, cat, or dog, to be the property of its owner. And in Texas, property rights are a BIG DEAL. A seriously, defending-your-house-with-a-shotgun big deal. 

Sure, the bigger cities have animal control, but there are also private animal welfare charities which look out for the welfare of domestic animals and provide much more of a "safety net" for those animals than the local governments can do with the resources they have. 

Anyway, this is just the opinion of a former Texan, who still lives in the Western US, loves animals, and even in my old age thinks it's no big deal to drive three hours each way on a day trip for a visit or event. (Over in the Duggar forum months ago, I was cracking up over some of the comments on JD's wedding, about the long! distance! from the Duggars' home in Arkansas to the bride's home in Oklahoma. Honey, we call that a day trip, not an expedition. Although that particular trip WAS just far enough to justify an overnight stay.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

I remember seeing a show that featured a nursing home, inpatient place in New York for the morbidly obese. Richard Simmons made a visit to them. 

Yes. I think it was Brookhaven. Patients could order in whatever food they wanted.

• Love 2

There was a show on a place in Ohio, maybe Cleveland, and they followed 2 fat people who went there.
One was a young black man from NC, and the other was an older white woman from MS.
The man lost at first, but then started ordering what he wanted.  I think I read somewhere that he died.
The woman did better and lost.  Don't remember hearing about her long term.

21 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I remember seeing a show that featured a nursing home, inpatient place in New York for the morbidly obese. Richard Simmons made a visit to them. 

20 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Yes. I think it was Brookhaven. Patients could order in whatever food they wanted.

13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Wasn't Brookhaven the one where a patient was filmed hoisting pizza or other food orders up by rope from their window?   

The series Inside Brookhaven Obesity Clinic ran on TLC for I think six episodes in 2007, and I remember discussing it somewhere. Maybe good old TWOP. There were a few really compliant and even inspiring patients, a few strugglers, and some real *ssholes.

I don't remember that pizza delivery but I'd believe it. I do recall seeing security video of take-out food being delivered to a patient in the obesity program. Some of the comments I read indicated that under federal regulations the clinic couldn't forbid patients from having their own food brought in. Which struck me as a big problem for a program that's supposed to regulate the food intake of people who are at least obese and may be super morbidly obese.

I went to Brookhaven's website out of curiosity yesterday. It offers several kinds of services, including a 90-day inpatient bariatric program. There's not specific information on rates, fees, etc. Just an overall statement that the clinic works with private insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid. I don't know if Medicare/Medicaid would cover the inpatient bariatric program. And of course we don't know whether 12 years after the program aired, the clinic is still admitting super morbidly obese patients to the weight loss program. I kind of remember the director of the program who was on the TV show was committed to helping those SMO patients. 

• Useful 2
34 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The series Inside Brookhaven Obesity Clinic ran on TLC for I think six episodes in 2007, and I remember discussing it somewhere. Maybe good old TWOP. There were a few really compliant and even inspiring patients, a few strugglers, and some real *ssholes.

Yeah, I think we discussed it on good ole TWOP from which I adopted my name.  I think that is the show where I learned the morbidly obese people can get rickets and other diseases from malnutrition even though they look so well fed.  

12 hours ago, auntjess said:

There was a show on a place in Ohio, maybe Cleveland, and they followed 2 fat people who went there.

One of the patients was a woman name Robin who had terrible lymphodemas (have no idea how to spell that) on her legs.  She did lose a lot of weight, and I guess had surgery on her legs.  She made friends (online, I guess) with another very obese woman and went to visit and encourage her.  We saw her take an airplane ride.  I saw later that she had died.  Very sad.   And there was a man who was the first person I ever saw cooking in bed.  He was sent to the place in Ohio, but he, too, died.  I don't recall that they had success with his losing weight.  I can't recall his name; he was married, and there was a memorial service where one of his friends (who was also very heavy) sang a song the man had written.

I cannot believe I have spend over a decade of my life watching shows about the super morbidly obese.   Maybe this calls for some self-examination.   Or not.....

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, auntjess said:

One was a young black man from NC, and the other was an older white woman from MS.
The man lost at first, but then started ordering what he wanted.  I think I read somewhere that he died.
The woman did better and lost.  Don't remember hearing about her long term.

I was FB friends with him, and yes, he passed away years ago. Very sad.

Darn - I got a Dr Now '800 lb of food in you' magnet and I can't post the pic. It's just from my phone, but Previously says it's too big to post. :  (

Edited by aliya

Gosh, @Twopper, thanks for the memories of Robin Moran, who was on the show about the Andover, OH weight loss program. She was a very pleasant, articulate woman. She died in late 2011; I think she was about 50. 

Somehow this week's episode of Hoarders has crept into our discussions here. That hoarder was one of the most BSC people I've ever seen on TV. Don't know if anyone's going to come here to Small Talk to talk about it, but I thought I'd share this which I also posted over on the Hoarders topic. It's probably better suited to small talk as it veers OT from the Hoarders episode itself. My reaction during that episode was that the town should have condemned the house, meaning the hoarder couldn't have moved back in until the code inspectors had cleared it as safe for habitation again.

But, here's a reality check on just how lengthy, complicated, and expensive it can be for a town to take action against a private residential structure that's hoarded/rundown to the point of being a nuisance and unsafe for habitation: https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/littleton-neighbors-believe-man-burned-his-own-home-as-city-considers-demolition/73-4e04e737-73da-4066-85f9-853ab51196e6

The case has been going on for something like 12 years, the house was condemned, and in January the board heard FOUR HOURS of testimony on whether it should order the house demolished. Neighbors had experienced rat infestations emanating from the hoard house and some feared violence from the homeowner. The board's order was expected to be issued yesterday, and day before yesterday the house burned. Neighbors suspect the homeowner torched it.

Latest news is that the homeowner's whereabouts are unknown. Oh, and in an interesting quirk of fate? The house fire was called in to 911 earlier than it would normally have been. Because the PIO of the fire district lives in the neighborhood. His wife was returning home in the early morning hours from her 911 dispatch job and saw a smoky haze in the neighborhood, so she and the PIO went looking for - and found - the fire. FB story here: https://www.facebook.com/SouthMetroFireRescue/videos/530155530842817/

As easy as it is for me to sit in front of my TV and say, the city should condemn and demolish a house, it's rarely simple, straightforward, or prompt to do that. Think, years of proceedings and quite a bit of local government resources taken up by the case. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1

This show actually helped me deal with my broken wrist.  Changed my perspectives a bit...  Like when I found it difficult to bathe I kept thinking that at least I can do it unlike many of the poundticipants, even though they have two functional hands.   And today I had my splint and sutures removed so I can get my hand wet finally and I did the dishes - it felt so good to be able to do that!  So many small joys like being able to use tweezers to get my brows back in shape or turn on the lights without having to put my tea cup down first.  I am chomping at the bits to start occupational therapy tomorrow. 

Why don't most of them look for opportunities to get their lives better and to do more for themselves?  It's all in the attitude... my friend came to visit yesterday and she was constantly trying to do things for me and I kept telling her how important it is to do as much as I can for myself...  And now that my wrist has been immobilized for 16 days, it is really stiff and hard to move - so I can believe the poundticipants saying it is hard for them to do whatever it is they haven't done for a long time - but it is the case of use it or lose it!  It won't ever get better unless you do work through pain at first. 

I am starting to think their biggest problem is just fear of/unwillingness to tolerate any amount of stress or pain.  They just run away from it and towards food...  but there can be no growth or improvement without getting out of one's comfort zone.   I was reading an article about physical therapy, and the biggest predictor of long-term outcomes is whether people are willing to work through pain.  It was talking about how it is counterintuitive for people and so many shy away from pain, so it is really important for therapists to encourage activity.  Same thing for the obesees, I think, based on what I have seen on this show.

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Hellga said:

This show actually helped me deal with my broken wrist.  Changed my perspectives a bit...  Like when I found it difficult to bathe I kept thinking that at least I can do it unlike many of the poundticipants, even though they have two functional hands.   And today I had my splint and sutures removed so I can get my hand wet finally and I did the dishes - it felt so good to be able to do that!  So many small joys like being able to use tweezers to get my brows back in shape or turn on the lights without having to put my tea cup down first.  I am chomping at the bits to start occupational therapy tomorrow.  Why don't most of them look for opportunities to get their lives better and to do more for themselves?  It's all in the attitude... my friend came to visit yesterday and she was constantly trying to do things for me and I kept telling her how important it is to do as much as I can for myself...  And now that my wrist has been immobilized for 16 days, it is really stiff and hard to move - so I can believe the poundticipants saying it is hard for them to do whatever it is they haven't done for a long time - but it is the case of use it or lose it!  It won't ever get better unless you do work through pain at first.  I am starting to think their biggest problem is just fear of/unwillingness to tolerate any amount of stress or pain.  They just run away from it and towards food...  but there can be no growth or improvement without getting out of one's comfort zone.

These are good points, and I agree. But as to the question: "Why don't most of them look for opportunities to get their lives better and to do more for themselves?" Besides the fear of pain, stress, and change that you've noted, I think one of the big reasons is why you didn't purposely break your own wrist? Because you have a sense of self-worth and you don't hate yourself. You feel you have the right to a good life. Many of these patients do not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

There are more than one person in my family who embrace any potential to claim illness as a way to make themselves feel special.  Brother was on 21 prescriptions a day the last time I counted.  Female birth vessel had perfected the "poor me" facial expression as she recounted numerous reasons why she couldn't do things (specifically, the things she didn't want to do.  She had plenty of energy and ability to do what she wanted to do).  I always have looked at the both of them as examples of what I DIDN'T want my life to be like . . . no matter my age or other physical challenges. 

I see a lot of our poundicipants as being in the same category as my family members.  They never say - or even consider thinking of - anything positive.  It's all "I can't go to the grocery store.  I have to wait for people to bring me food.  I need someone to wipe my butt."

I get up every morning and ask, "What CAN I do today?  (And if it's fun, what WILL I do?)," not "What CAN'T I do?"  And I'm 72.

• Love 10
On 3/21/2019 at 8:04 PM, Hellga said:

so I can believe the poundticipants saying it is hard for them to do whatever it is they haven't done for a long time - but it is the case of use it or lose it!  It won't ever get better unless you do work through pain at first. 

I am starting to think their biggest problem is just fear of/unwillingness to tolerate any amount of stress or pain.  

Absolutely agree with this. I was thinking the other day, watching Maja go into hysterics over leaving her family to go to Houston (and yes, I paid for the episode so I could watch it over and over), that these people can't leave family, can't go w/o eating for 2 hours, can't stand a bit of pain, can't practice self-denial, can't, can't, can't. How does someone get so weak?  Even Diana, who was in the military, must have had something go wrong so that she gave into her desires instead of fighting them.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, aliya said:

Absolutely agree with this. I was thinking the other day, watching Maja go into hysterics over leaving her family to go to Houston (and yes, I paid for the episode so I could watch it over and over), that these people can't leave family, can't go w/o eating for 2 hours, can't stand a bit of pain, can't practice self-denial, can't, can't, can't. How does someone get so weak?  Even Diana, who was in the military, must have had something go wrong so that she gave into her desires instead of fighting them.

This is a good question. These days I self-identify as rather weak, especially as compared to my younger self. In my case I think it comes from a sense of vulnerability, that I'm no longer equal to face many of life's challenges. I think that kind of vulnerability can have several sources, such as health issues and disabilities, financial issues, depression, and a sense of isolation. Immaturity can factor into this kind of weakness, and also exhaustion, where you feel as though you've been fighting something for many years and cannot fight it any longer. I'm sure there are other factors as well. Not a pretty picture from any angle, but some people do manage to rise above, if they have enough motivation.

• Love 3

I've been pretty immobile from back problems, and I just don't understand why you would do that to yourself, to be bed bound. I was up and waddling with my rollator as soon as I could.

• Love 4

Omigosh. I just flipped channels to find Dominque's story - from I think 2012 -  being repeated on Discovery Life. The show is titled "600 Pound Mom: Race Against Time."

A race that Dominque lost. She was nasty to her daughters, and ate herself to death by not complying with the weight loss program her doctor had given her to follow. He said, "It wasn’t a one time slip-up - it was a systematic assassination of her weight loss program." Honestly I'm not going to sit and watch this but will leave in on in the background and check in now and then. 

There are more old shows being hauled out of the vault today. Up next is "900 Pound Man: Race Against Time," and then two hour-long episodes about "Britain's Fattest Man." 

• Love 2
On 5/15/2018 at 12:31 AM, auntjess said:

This reminds me of Cynthia.  I just watched her repeat.
She'd been resisting therapy, and finally went, because Dr. Now insisted, but she told the therapist (someone in Oklahoma) that she didn't know why she needed to be there, because she was NOT an emotional eater, didn't run to food if stressed, and ate herself to however heavy she was, because she just liked food.

I watched a Cynthia repeat a few days ago. My take on her refusal to participate in therapy was that she feared repercussions from either her work (in a school), or the custody arrangement with her adopted children should she admit to any past or present issues.

• Useful 1

Today I started watching Season 5 Episode 12--Tracey's story.   I have no idea what will happen but those legs--there are no words for what she has done to herself.

And these men they have found to wait on them hand and foot.   I just don't understand.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I have my moments of wanting to eat away stress. My weakness is potato chips. I bought some toddler sized bowls and that is my portion size. So I get my potato chips but don't get 600 lbs.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Omigosh. I just flipped channels to find Dominque's story - from I think 2012 -  being repeated on Discovery Life. The show is titled "600 Pound Mom: Race Against Time."

A race that Dominque lost. She was nasty to her daughters, and ate herself to death by not complying with the weight loss program her doctor had given her to follow. He said, "It wasn’t a one time slip-up - it was a systematic assassination of her weight loss program." Honestly I'm not going to sit and watch this but will leave in on in the background and check in now and then. 

There are more old shows being hauled out of the vault today. Up next is "900 Pound Man: Race Against Time," and then two hour-long episodes about "Britain's Fattest Man." 

I’m a huge fan of all the (as we call them at my house) “fatty shows”.  

Dominique’s doctor approached things differently from Dr. Now, one of those differences being food delivery.  

Dominique got daily food delivery of her prepared meals (my dream come true, tbh, even if it was diet food.) 

In a classic scene, Dominique was showing the camera what was “wrong” with the food (quiche, if I recall) and it was that there was water on the food, probably condensation that formed on the to-go box from being packaged hot.  She pokes at it to produce more liquid and says, in a disgusted voice, “that’s not grease, that’s WATER!”  To me, it was such a classic display of, “pack it up, this isn’t gonna work here!”  Water!   The horror!  (This may have been the original, not the follow up.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, CousinOliver said:

I’m a huge fan of all the (as we call them at my house) “fatty shows”.  

Dominique’s doctor approached things differently from Dr. Now, one of those differences being food delivery.  

Dominique got daily food delivery of her prepared meals (my dream come true, tbh, even if it was diet food.) 

In a classic scene, Dominique was showing the camera what was “wrong” with the food (quiche, if I recall) and it was that there was water on the food, probably condensation that formed on the to-go box from being packaged hot.  She pokes at it to produce more liquid and says, in a disgusted voice, “that’s not grease, that’s WATER!”  To me, it was such a classic display of, “pack it up, this isn’t gonna work here!”  Water!   The horror!  (This may have been the original, not the follow up.)

Horrible, horrible woman. Her use and abuse of her daughters was epic. Another delusional POS who kept saying that her main motivation for losing weight was to be sexy; not her health or her quality of life or, especially, her poor daughters. She would just always laugh and giggle about getting sexy. Ugh. The best thing she ever did for them was die.

Although she doesn't qualify for the recently added The Worst topic here on PTV  because she was never a poundticipant on M600PL, I would definitely nominate her as a contender as one of the worst super morbidly obese people ever featured on tv.

• Love 3

I didn't realize it when I posted yesterday, but all three of the super morbidly obese people featured in that lineup of shows on Discovery Life, died either during or shortly after filming. Besides Dominique, there was a young man in Guam (the "900 Pound Man" show, sorry I can't remember his name right now), and Keith Martin (the "Fattest Man in Britain" show). 

TBH I think the morbidity quotient on M600PL is almost surprisingly low, given the 600-800 pound weights the patients have attained and the stress that kind of weight puts on the human body. I think I've said before, that maybe one reason Dr. Now seems less indulgent of the patients' BS this season, is he's seen so many patients die at those extreme weights, and can probably feel the hours ticking away while people like Jeanne sit there and try to bullshit him about what they're doing. Or while James K and his girlfriend Trashzilla have an answer and excuse for everything and then blame Dr. Now for "not helping." 

For us watching TV it may look like a game, but these patients are fucking around with their very lives - even if they think they're just dealing with mean old Dr. Now and a bunch of rules they don't understand or think are silly.

Sigh.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Today I started watching Season 5 Episode 12--Tracey's story.   I have no idea what will happen but those legs--there are no words for what she has done to herself.

Tracey is one of my favorites.

Spoiler

She loses enough that she doesn't really need gastric bypass, just skin surgery.  She had some protrusions removed, but not all by the end of the episode.  I'd love to see a follow-up, and hope she got everything removed that was needed.

1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

young man in Guam (the "900 Pound Man" show, sorry I can't remember his name right now), and Keith Martin (the "Fattest Man in Britain" show). 

Ricky something was the man in Guam, and he and his wife were the biggest ingrates, with doctors and others travelling thousands of miles to try and help him.
He was on who wanted a magic pill.

I'd love to see them rerun the show I remember when I first started watching this stuff, maybe 10 years ago, and I remember several where they cut the walls to get a person out of the house.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I didn't realize it when I posted yesterday, but all three of the super morbidly obese people featured in that lineup of shows on Discovery Life, died either during or shortly after filming. Besides Dominique, there was a young man in Guam (the "900 Pound Man" show, sorry I can't remember his name right now), and Keith Martin (the "Fattest Man in Britain" show). 

TBH I think the morbidity quotient on M600PL is almost surprisingly low, given the 600-800 pound weights the patients have attained and the stress that kind of weight puts on the human body. I think I've said before, that maybe one reason Dr. Now seems less indulgent of the patients' BS this season, is he's seen so many patients die at those extreme weights, and can probably feel the hours ticking away while people like Jeanne sit there and try to bullshit him about what they're doing. Or while James K and his girlfriend Trashzilla have an answer and excuse for everything and then blame Dr. Now for "not helping." 

For us watching TV it may look like a game, but these patients are fucking around with their very lives - even if they think they're just dealing with mean old Dr. Now and a bunch of rules they don't understand or think are silly.

Sigh.

I have been thinking about the same thing Jeeves. I recall, before watching this genre of tv, hearing about obesity related deaths of regular fat people saying that they were "only" 100-150 pounds or so overweight. One would expect that the failed poundticipants on this show should be dropping like flies. I guess we can credit/blame the wonders of modern medicine? Look how many times James K has been hospitalized and/or brought back from the brink of death.

As for you calling dear Lisa Trashzilla: brilliant!😆

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 5

There was also a reality show about this set in Great Britain, and many of those people had to have their house walls cut out with chain saws to get them out.    I remember one young woman that needed to be taken to hospital, and there was so much damage to the house from taking down walls, that the house had to be razed to the ground.    I think there were some stories like that where the patient went to some of the long term weight loss camps or schools for help.     I remember that one, fairly young man died in the hospital.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Have you ever picked up a bad eating habit from one of the people profiled on this show? I'm not talking about the fabulous skinless chicken and orange diet, either. I can't remember which 600-pounder ate taquitos covered in cheese, but for some reason I thought that actually looked good. And now that's the only way I can eat them. Granted, I have three taquitos at a time instead of a whole box, and they are the chicken and cheese and not the beef and cheese (which I'm told are very greasy.) And I don't dump a whole block of processed cheese on them -- just about 1/4 of a cup of shredded cheddar. Man, I love those things.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, CousinOliver said:

I think this is a great idea, sort of halfway between the controlled environment where the 1,200 calories-a-day meals can be enforced (if not sabotaged by visitors) and of patients trying to follow the diet at home. Since they are at home they could still cheat of course, but they should be able to avoid mistakes and misjudgements. I wonder if Dr. Now has considered this.

4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I can't remember which 600-pounder ate taquitos covered in cheese, but for some reason I thought that actually looked good. And now that's the only way I can eat them. Granted, I have three taquitos at a time instead of a whole box, and they are the chicken and cheese and not the beef and cheese (which I'm told are very greasy.) And I don't dump a whole block of processed cheese on them -- just about 1/4 of a cup of shredded cheddar. Man, I love those things.

I haven't had taquitos in many years, but my favorite was with guacamole filling, no cheese needed. Two of them made for a nice appetizer to a mexican meal.

• Useful 1
On 3/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, ProTourist said:

Since they are at home they could still cheat of course, but they should be able to avoid mistakes and misjudgements. I wonder if Dr. Now has considered this.

It would likely be quite expensive.  
On the Garth/Robt Davis show, he was worrying over a patient who couldn't afford the liquid diet for right after surgery, and got it donated, and even that was fairly expensive.

I recall, before watching this genre of tv, hearing about obesity related deaths of regular fat people saying that they were "only" 100-150 pounds or so overweight. One would expect that the failed poundticipants on this show should be dropping like flies. 

Watching this show I have often pondered this exact point!  I regularly worry that the extra 20 or so pounds I carry will push me into diabetes, stroke or heart attack territory.  And then someone like Jeanne just continues soldiering on?!!  I guess it really is pretty remarkable what the human body can tolerate.  Although, it certainly can't go on forever.  

• Love 3

Have any of you ever gone to the Reddit site and the 600-lb section?  One of the posters said she really liked the group in Reddit because they were so supportive as opposed to an online group that just made nasty remarks about the people on the television show.  

What does she expect from a group that used to post on "Television w/o Pity"?  😄 😄 😄

Continue to SNARK, my friends!!!

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, ZeldaZee said:

Is there just so much of a thing of parents not believing their children who come to them saying they've been raped or abused? This seems so common in not only these specific episodes but in general.

(I brought this over here from the discussion of Kelly's story.)

Absolutely, and tragically, it is a big thing. 

A zillion years ago when I was a kid, in your basic all-American small town, we were friends with the family next door. A couple of their kids were about the same age as me and my sib.

So, fast forward a few decades, to about 20 years ago. The youngest child (girl) of that family, after therapy, disclosed to her parents that their darling only son, the oldest kid and several years older than her, had consistently molested her for years when she was a child. Her parents, especially her mother, took the son's "side" and IIRC even said the daughter was making it up, or "asked for it," I can't remember which. Anyway, I was shocked outta my socks over the parents' reaction. Not so much over the molestation because I always got a bad vibe from the guy and avoided him like the plague. 

And yes, these were your basic upstanding solid working people, the house was always clean and tidy, the kids had assigned chores at home and had to get their homework done before going out to play. They had fun but also took care of business. Not some crazy chaotic household. 

To this day I can't even express how awful I found the mother's reaction to her daughter's disclosure. I used to see her and her husband now and then, when I visited the old home town but after I learned about that I found no reason to stop by their house, and they are long since deceased now.

In that case, the daughter was a middle-aged adult when she disclosed the sexual abuse to her parents. I believe that if she'd even tried to tell her parents back when it was happening, she wouldn't have been believed, or she would have even been blamed for the molestation. Ugh.

Edited by Jeeves
31 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

(I brought this over here from the discussion of Kelly's story.)

Absolutely, and tragically, it is a big thing. 

A zillion years ago when I was a kid, in your basic all-American small town, we were friends with the family next door. A couple of their kids were about the same age as me and my sib.

So, fast forward a few decades, to about 20 years ago. The youngest child (girl) of that family, after therapy, disclosed to her parents that their darling only son, the oldest kid and several years older than her, had consistently molested her for years when she was a child. Her parents, especially her mother, took the son's "side" and IIRC even said the daughter was making it up, or "asked for it," I can't remember which. Anyway, I was shocked outta my socks over the parents' reaction. Not so much over the molestation because I always got a bad vibe from the guy and avoided him like the plague. 

And yes, these were your basic upstanding solid working people, the house was always clean and tidy, the kids had assigned chores at home and had to get their homework done before going out to play. They had fun but also took care of business. Not some crazy chaotic household. 

To this day I can't even express how awful I found the mother's reaction to her daughter's disclosure. I used to see her and her husband now and then, when I visited the old home town but after I learned about that I found no reason to stop by their house, and they are long since deceased now.

In that case, the daughter was a middle-aged adult when she disclosed the sexual abuse to her parents. I believe that if she'd even tried to tell her parents back when it was happening, she wouldn't have been believed, or she would have even been blamed for the molestation. Ugh.

The families I’ve seen like that are least likely to believe. They have an identity as the perfect family, and anything that messes that image up gets stomped on. 

• Love 2

This may be TMI - but anyone who doesn't want to read a first-hand account of child molestation can stop reading NOW.

Ours was not the "Cleaver" family.  There were four children before Female Birth Vessel divorced Alcoholic Father.  Shortly after the divorce, FBV "married" a man (because it was more respectable to say you were married instead of shacking up) and he moved in (let's refer to him as Equal Opportunity Molester).  I was only about 4, so I don't have a clear memory of the time frame.  My first memory of life was being about 4, and EOM had me standing up on a toilet, rubbing his penis against my genitals, whispering, "Doesn't that feel good?  Don't tell your mom about this.  It's our little secret.  But doesn't it feel good?"  

FBV caught him the first time.  She told him not to do it again.  She continually told him not to do it again every time she found out it was doing it for the next 12 years, until I told him I would drive a screwdriver through his heart if he ever touched me or even said anything inappropriate to me again. 

I later found out that if EOM wasn't molesting me, he was molesting one of my three brothers.  FBV and EOM had a child together, but she was the princess of the household, and the rest of us had to "pay" for everything we got, and she had only to point her finger at anything and it became hers.  Imagine the fun of sharing a bedroom.  My half was comprised of stuff that Goodwill wouldn't have accepted as donations, and her half looked like the Toys 'R Us warehouse.

Most of this happened back in the 50s and early 60s.  There were guidance counselors at school, but they were mostly to help guide school-related decisions - how to apply for college, classes to take for specific degree programs, etc.  There was no one of whom I was aware that a child could go to.  There was no Dr. Phil, giving out toll-free numbers to call for help.  It was a life of isolation, because I sure didn't want to have friends come to the house, for fear that they would be molested as well.

The good news is that FBV and EOM are both dead.  Ironically, EOM turned right on red in front of a garbage truck.  The drivers of that truck (who were, mercifully, uninjured) didn't realize that they had just taken out the biggest piece of garbage of their careers.  After that wonderful day, I tried to build a new relationship with FBV, and asked her why she didn't protect me from the abuse.  Her answer:  "I just didn't know what to do to make it stop."  I'm trying to figure out why "Do nothing and let him continue" was #1 on her list of options.

The better/best news is that I became a real-life Cinderella.  I met an amazing young man ("Prince Charming") when I was 16.  We married when I was 17.  There were years of therapy and personal growth as he convinced me that he wasn't going anywhere, but he was going to stay with me while I became the person I was meant to be.  We have been married almost 55 years, and every day is better than the day before.  

So, yes . . . it happens.  And it is not rare for the FBV to know about it.  There needs to be a special place in hell for those kinds of people.

• Love 14
On 3/27/2019 at 10:07 AM, Kiki620 said:

Watching this show I have often pondered this exact point!  I regularly worry that the extra 20 or so pounds I carry will push me into diabetes, stroke or heart attack territory.  And then someone like Jeanne just continues soldiering on?!!  I guess it really is pretty remarkable what the human body can tolerate.  Although, it certainly can't go on forever.  

I feel the same way--especially with the truly bed bound like James K.   I feel awful when I gain weight--so awful that I almost can't eat for a day or two which is my cue to cut calories and up my activity levels even if that is only furiously rocking in my rocking chair instead of sitting in it with my feet firmly planted on the floor.  It amazes me that the body can stretch to accommodate 1003 pounds.