Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E11: Hooping It Up

• Start Topic

Never saw that coming. 

I still dislike the wrestlers... no they are not 'all that'  as they think.   They got lucky since the two teams screwed up in the beginning in which way they were going.  I really hope they're gone.  TAR started out  well this season but Brooke's negative/defeatist (how did they win so many wrestling titles with tha attitude?!) vibe just ruins it all...

I know the scientists may not win but I'm still rooting for them; also adam/Bethany.

• Love 17

One of those envelopes contains an elimination, doesn't it?  Seems kind of a dick thing to do to eliminate one of four midway through the final lap.  Why not have four teams compete?

Even though they weren't eliminated, I did think that the Sweet Scientists would have had to drop out because of Amy's health.  I was worried for a sec.

Well, wasn't expecting that. (Nor were the cyclists, I bet, as they got the last proper elimination.) It's really hard to tell what TPTB had planned for the spacing of teams in this one -- no leg prize, making it a true TBC -- so it just makes it a weird leg that put teams through the wringer before giving them all a long (and I assume somewhat spoonfed) flight.

We now know at least that the Save was completely a ticket to the final 3 whose main role was to mess with inter-team dynamics. (We've chewed over the stats in previous threads for first-leg winners. First-leg winners either have a single really bad day and go out or they stay till the end. And the U-Turn design cemented that.)

It was another tense leg, and one that wouldn't have been as tense without that jeepney mistake at the beginning of the leg.  Calling the Detours This and That was very titter-worthy to me.  The Roadblock wasn't as fun, but the level of competitiveness was still apparent, at least.  The only thing was that the "shocking" news was only semi-shocking due to Phil saying "may" rather than "will."  When he said that, I figured out that something was going on.

But enough with that.  Here are the teams:

Brooke & Robbie: For once, they ran an amazing leg!  They got on a jeepney heading the right way to their Speed Bump, finished that Speed Bump fast, and for the most part, didn't struggle too much at the Detour.  Robbie had some stumbles at the Roadblock, but he figured out his mistake, and they actually got their first win, as a result.

Adam & Bethany: They started strongly and never looked back.  They actually thought to check on the correct direction of the jeepney and got back to Manila first, and then, Adam owned the This Detour.  Losing the clue was a stupid mistake, though.  If they hadn't, they might've kept up their usual good racing and won the leg.  Adam not catching the document was another costly error, too, but one from which he recovered, at least.

Misti & Jim: Good on Misti for plowing through her pain, but this team keeps making rookie mistakes with transportation.  They're lucky they recovered from picking a jeepney that went the wrong way.  They did the Detour well enough (though Jim could've at least shown some concern as to whether or not Amy was all right), but Jim missed the simple document that Robbie and Adam also missed.  Getting the dolly was a smart move, though.  Third place was deserved, but let's see how they run the final leg.

Amy & Maya: These girls had me worried when they also made the jeepney mistake and didn't ask about it in time.  Still, Amy recovered nicely from the accident at the Detour.  And while she didn't make the same mistake as Robbie, Adam, and Jim when it came to the document, she did make the mistake in terms of the quantities she needed.  And I felt terrible for her when she got hit by that dehydration and heat exhaustion.  Hope she's okay!  But they should be feeling damn lucky that they changed up the structure of the final leg this season, or they'd be gone after Amy's costly error at the Roadblock.

Good episode, good twist, and hopefully, a good finale is on its way next week!  I admit, though, that the other reason I was only semi-shocked by the twist is because

just hours ago, I learned that next season will be doing it the same way.

Still, a pretty good twist on their part!  I approve, show!:)

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 4

BP 100/70? Damn, Amy is a rock star. Her posture hurts me just to look at though. Not only is she going to have a bad leg, she probably threw a disc or two out of whack overcompensating.

Amazing how leading the pack turned the wrestlers into humans. Well Robbie, anyways. He was really quite nice when talking about the struggle Amy would have. Pretty good idea to borrow a dolly for both her and Jim.

Bethany is even good at basketball. I just love them to bits. Their god bothering didn't bother me at all because from all of the reports from when she was a teen, she's always been like that.

There is a reason that I've never been a wrestling fan.

I don't understand how that gorgeous, gorgeous greeter was not drenched in sweat at the mat.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

"We now know at least that the Save was completely a ticket to the final 3"

Not necessarily. They might have needed it leg 3 and got eliminated leg 4. But the team who won it started strong and stayed strong. It was only a guarantee for them because they held it until the end.

• Love 6

One of those envelopes contains an elimination, doesn't it? 

No it can't possibly contain an elimination.  I say that because they don't eliminate a team that way on the Race.  Because it is a race, not a lottery drawing.  And certainly not by picking a team out in advance and giving them a pick slip.  It's a competition and if they did that the fans would be up in arms and production and CBS would be sued and the show would be cancelled.  So definitely not an elimination.

Props to Brooke for being a hoop star.  Also good catch by Maya realizing they were going the wrong way cause the Dentists didn't figure it out.  If they had jumped into separate jeepneys going that wrong way Jim & Misti could still be circling around outside of Manila.  And a special medal to Amy for getting it done with nothing left in her.

One of the best non elims ever.  And the most exciting because of the surprise.  I felt as pumped and happy as Maya.  I'm so stoked I go could and deliver coconut tree byproducts right now!

Edited by green
  • Love 11

When I saw the 4th manila envelope behind Phil's back, I figured all 4 teams would continue.

I have mixed feelings. I like the scientists, but 2 straight NELs makes me feel like I have wasted my time watching the last 2 episodes. Maybe they will end up calling it a 4 way tie and give each team $250K each.

• Love 5

Maya may be the most enthusiastic racer ever.  Her "AHHHHWE'RESTILLRACING?!?!" face was tremendous.

Amy on the other hand, wanted to die.  Or at least was hoping for a nap and food.  Jesus, poor woman. 

Brooke and Robbie ran a mostly competent leg.  But my god that KF was brutal.  

• Love 11

Holy crap. I was expecting a "race right away" leg, but a non-elimination leg to boot? Damn, show, I don't even know you anymore.

It was a case of "Last Mistake Loses" . . . you think Robbie would torpedo himself and Brooke by not following the posted instructions, but then Adam and Jim do the same thing. And then Amy makes two mistakes: not reading the instructions and almost dying. I can't believe the Scientists are still in the game. My mother insists they have a shot, even though my math says otherwise. They're nice (nicer than Brooke, anyway), but they've been lagging behind the entire race. Maya's adrenaline can only take her and Amy so far.

I think the Wrestlers getting first place means that Hell will freeze over. Despite Brooke's nagging, they managed to pull past the other teams. I don't know if this counts as a leg win, though, since they didn't get a prize for winning. I suppose making the final three against most of the odds makes up for it. The ideal final leg would've had the Cyclists, Dentists and Surfers racing for the million bucks. And who's Robbie to talk shit about the Dentists? Jim looks like more of a wrestler than Brooke or Robbie.

Y'all think Bethany scored any points at all? At least she can inbound and pass it off to her "bebeh." I guess it was a better option to play hoops than to ride a bike with one arm. I'm still rooting for those two, even with their overwhelming faith. Seriously, I've read Bethany's book . . . as a teenager, she had more faith in God and Jesus than I will ever have in anything, and that was after she lost an arm to a shark. Normally, believing that much in God is a negative, but I can't help but pull for them.

So I take it 100/70 blood pressure isn't good? Then It looked like Maya needed to be revived when Phil told her and Amy the good news. I think that if they don't win, they've clinched a berth to another season on Maya's enthusiasm alone. I mean, if Caroline & Jennifer could be invited back for TAR24 . ..

Not much to save about the Dentists. Screw Robbie, they're the odds-on favorites to win.

For the record: I vote "no" on Blind Detours, unless the tasks are close to each other. I do like the idea of an F4 final leg, as well as a "keep racing" from Phil, which kinda/sorta resembles the envelope hunt from TAR8, where Phil would have been.

• Love 2

I was so excited when I saw Phil holding that envelope behind his back.  This is all new for us with four teams racing for the million.  I realized how much I don't want the wrestlers to win.

I felt so bad for Amy, I know that feeling all too well.  She was there a lot longer than they showed to rebound like that. But she almost looked like she would rather be eliminated than start the next leg right there. 

Hopefully the airport will start everyone on a level playing field again.  Excited for next week.

• Love 6

When I saw the 4th manila envelope behind Phil's back, I figured all 4 teams would continue.

I have mixed feelings. I like the scientists, but 2 straight NELs makes me feel like I have wasted my time watching the last 2 episodes. Maybe they will end up calling it a 4 way tie and give each team $250K each.

They have had back to back non elims before.  And I really like a final four.  Three teams was always too small a number for my taste. 

And I never have minded a leg ending in a non elim or a TBC because I hate seeing teams eliminated.  Even teams I'm not rooting for.  I want all the teams to travel as far as possible and experience as much as possible.  I don't watch The Amazing Race for eliminations.  I watch The Amazing Race for the AMAZING.  It's all about the journey for me.

Yeah I understand they have to add the "race" bit and hang eliminations over their heads to make them feel pressure and run about in circles and do dumb and silly  things.  I enjoy that just fine.  But it just doesn't mean I have to enjoy the elimination at the end part of it.

Edited by green
  • Love 13

100/70 is not egregiously bad, especially for someone as slight as Amy...when in a controlled environment. But being that hot, exerting that much energy and being that dehydrated? The fact that she stayed conscious was pretty impressive to me.

• Love 4

100/70 is not egregiously bad, especially for someone as slight as Amy...when in a controlled environment. But being that hot, exerting that much energy and being that dehydrated? The fact that she stayed conscious was pretty impressive to me.

The clue of her condition wasn't the blood pressure; it was when she said she felt cold in frelling hot conditions, which is a sign you're in heat exhaustion territory.

• Love 12

Even though it's this late in the race, I felt the Scientists should have to do a speed bump.  Look who went from worst to first.

Sorry.  TBCs/legs with zero-hour Pit Stops have no Speed Bumps (or other past NEL penalties) on the following leg.  That's how it's always been.

• Love 3

I'm dying to know what kind of makeup Misti uses, because even though that stuff was caked on incredibly thick, her mask didn't crack once in that heat.  And it was obviously completely waterproof.

I was wondering also. I wonder how early Brooke and Misti get up to do their makeup and hair? I wish Misti would lay off the heavy, black eyeliner. It makes her look older. 

• Love 1

Brooke: "This basketball is going to be easy, I've been playing basketball all my life."

Brooke: "I haven't picked up a basketball in ten years."

Ugh.

I guess taking a taxi from the basketball challenge to the coconut challenge was the okay thing to do.  Adam and Bethany decided to walk, and fell behind the wrestlers.

I don't understand people just wandering around not knowing where they're going when the clue specifically says "to the posted locations" and they keep repeating it.

I don't see the wrestlers having the brains to complete a final puzzle challenge.

• Love 2

Glad the girls are still in, hope they can pull it of, but it kinda makes this leg kinda insignificant right? Hope the girls take it or the Dentists. Adam just showed again the sense of entitlement that I saw on him before with the ´´god is behind us`` speech.

Edited by Guiaoshi
  • Love 2
Curious-- did anyone see how Brooke acted in one of the cabs when she was practically climbing into the driver's seat to (presumably) turn on the AC.  I'm glad he said NO! It's HIS cab!

...and he said it's because the engine will get hot.   Those of us in the desert parts of Arizona know this too well...especially with old or crappy cars with a/c.   I won't dwell on that; fortunately it's in my distant past.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 6

Were the hand trucks available to the them from the beginning of the Road Block but they carried the coconuts and stuff instead?

I missed the first part of it. Did they not see the hand trucks? I'm confused as to why they were trying to carry them.

I don't know how Amy doesn't tell that chirpy Maya to shut the hell up. She's always talking and her voice grates.

Edited by Maharincess

Just saw Bethany on a commercial and the fact that she is semi-famous (book, movie, commercial endorsements), makes me want another team to win. Nothing wrong with her or Adam, they are perfectly nice people, but I prefer non-celebs to win these things. I also continue to think she was recruited to be on the show to boost ratings, and TPTB knew the viewers would love to see Soul Surfer do her thing-hence the surfing challenge. I was impressed with her basketball skills and agree she is amazing, but I think she makes enough money and doesn't need more celebrity status.

I don't have a problem with Misti and Jim. I was also appalled at seeing a toddler sitting unattended in the middle of a busy street. I understand that the parents of these children are dealing with terrible poverty and that parenting is different all over the world, but it would still upset me. I also think it isn't helicopter parenting to not leave a baby or toddler unattended in front of a store or anywhere. People kidnap and murder children from their homes, who is to say a baby with no parent in sight wouldn't be abducted? Is it likely, no, but why take the chance?

Back to the race-I don't find Brooke funny and while I understand her way of dealing with things is by complaining, it isn't attractive to watch. I felt sorry for Amy and was really worried she would faint and have to be hospitalized. I wouldn't have a problem with her and Maya or the dentists winning. 

I also noticed how tight Phil's pants were and the outline was very unfortunate. Odd.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

ust saw Bethany on a commercial and the fact that she is semi-famous (book, movie, commercial endorsements), makes me want another team to win. Nothing wrong with her or Adam, they are perfectly nice people, but I prefer non-celebs to win these things. I also continue to think she was recruited to be on the show to boost ratings, and TPTB knew the viewers would love to see Soul Surfer do her thing-hence the surfing challenge. I was impressed with her basketball skills and agree she is amazing, but I think she makes enough money and doesn't need more celebrity status.

Because we've been warned about discussing whether we believe the race has been "enhanced or altered" in any way on this thread, I won't address that.  However, I don't care if the winners are already millionaires...if they race hard with intelligence and finish up first on the mat...I'm fine with that outcome.

• Love 12

100/70 is OK blood pressure. I wish mine was that. The top number is a little low but the bottom number is in the middle of normal. I would have liked Brooke much more if she'd been like she was tonight throughout the race: just intense and focused on her own game without the nastiness. I enjoyed watching her play basketball, but I would rather have seen her be eliminated. Oh well, maybe in an alternative universe she and Robby will be on a dogsled 24 hours behind everyone else.

Yes, sometimes Racers have enlisted actual help in carrying items, so the dollies did not disturb me.

Someone above said that Bethany/Adam walked from the Detour to the RB -- but they were in a vehicle when they realized the clue was "lost".

I can't remember a late leg when so many teams made serious errors -- heading in the wrong direction for so long, losing a clue and valuable time, and just not getting the directions in the RB clue.  How hard was it to understand "posted" destinations?  It's amazing they got out of there the same day.

And as several have noted, 100/70 blood pressure is on the low side, but in the normal range.  But her body was in severe distress from the heat and exertion.  Now, will they be on the same flight?  I have to say I would NOT want to have a seat next to a sweaty Racer for a 14-hour flight!  Hope they have a chance for a shower?  They certainly had time to do their confessionals about the Detour and RB, plus trash talk! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
I can't remember a late leg when so many teams made serious errors -- heading in the wrong direction for so long, losing a clue and valuable time, and just not getting the directions in the RB clue.  How hard was it to understand "posted" destinations?  It's amazing they got out of there the same day.

Yeah, that was crazy.  And of course the only team I wanted eliminated made no major mistakes.  

That leg was really brutal on the injured... I cringed watching Misti on that bike, and seeing Amy lug around those heavy coconuts with her leg injury.  Why didn't Maya do the roadblock?  It was a bit unnecessary when Maya told Amy that she *had* to keep going since they're racing for the finals.  She has been nagging Amy like this all along the race.  Amy really is the most patient person I've ever met.

Jim was the one who started using the dollies, which was kind of smart.  It's strange how dependent he is on other teams given his competitiveness and supposed confidence.  Following Amy and Maya blindly on their bus was a mistake, just like he followed the Surfer's plane choice.  And then he was following Adam around, and Adam turned out to be the one who suggested going back to look for the posted locations.  And the Scientists suggested that they get off the bus since they were going the wrong way.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 6