Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E11: Hooping It Up

• Start Topic

Eeeny meeny what?  Jeremy Clarkson nearly got fired for that!

Jim:  "We're so intelligent!  Du-uh, where are we supposed to be going?  Back that way?"

Mr. orange-gloves channeling Feodora Bondenko!

How in hell did the Surfers lose their clue?  Ooops!  I guess they didn't, after all!

Eeek!  Candy girls have a van to pay for, now!  No, wait!  They just rode off!?!!

Cocoyea brooms and coconut husks!  I like the brooms in race colours, too!  Husks clean pots and pans pretty good.  Especially with a little sand off the beach thrown in.  But... Robbie sets off on a delivery run... without knowing where to go?

Well done riding those four laps, guys!  Shame about the Dentists tho: They've got electric-blue teeth, but their heads are on backwards!

Robbie is finally knocking out the deliveries!  Genius move with the hand-truck, Jim!  I hope it's within the rules...

Maya, cool your jets!  Amy knows this is for the finals, but she is pretty close to her limit, to look at her.  Yep!   Oh, fukinell, Maya!  poor Amy looks like she's about to croak and you're worried it would mean you don't get to finish the race?

Four cabs racing to the pitstop?  Or sneaky editing?

Fuck me!  A TBC into the final?  And an F4 final at that?  Never saw either of those moves coming!  I... like it!  I think...  But it does mean that Jim & Misti were bulletproof for the entire race except leg#1 and the finale!  Gotta love that Save...

Edited by Netfoot

I still dislike the wrestlers... no they are not 'all that'  as they think.   They got lucky since the two teams screwed up in the beginning in which way they were going.  I really hope they're gone.  TAR started out  well this season but Brooke's negative/defeatist (how did they win so many wrestling titles with tha attitude?!) vibe just ruins it all...

You do realize that they are professional wrestlers, right?  As in - everything is choreographed and the winner is pre-determined.

We now know at least that the Save was completely a ticket to the final 3 whose main role was to mess with inter-team dynamics. (We've chewed over the stats in previous threads for first-leg winners. First-leg winners either have a single really bad day and go out or they stay till the end. And the U-Turn design cemented that.)

I think Jim confirmed this by saying pretty much the same thing.  Then they confirmed it by losing all sense of independence and following and connecting at the hip to arguably the weakest team left. We also saw the first incident of bickering between the two, and some yelling at the locals to get out of the way before he mows them down.

I was rooting for the scientists followed by the dentists, but when they started high-fiving each other over their superior intelligence ......

I'm dying to know what kind of makeup Misti uses, because even though that stuff was caked on incredibly thick, her mask didn't crack once in that heat.  And it was obviously completely waterproof. 

I don't think you want to know her makeup brand.  Most likely its waterproof ability is related to the fact that it's caked on so heavily.

Glad the girls are still in, hope they can pull it of, but it kinda makes this leg kinda insignificant right? Hope the girls take it or the Dentists. Adam just showed again the sense of entitlement that I saw on him before with the ´´god is behind us`` speech.

That didn't bother me, and I don't sense entitlement.  I did find his, "We race to the best of our potential because that's what we're called to do", a little over the top.  When you get a calling from Jesus, it usually doesn't involve a television show and a million dollar prize.

Note to TAR cameramen:  Yes, Americans love dogs.  That does not mean we want to see every crippled, down trodden dog throughout the race.  That includes the dog with the potential head injury tonight, along with the unmoving puppies in the tiny cages.

• Love 3

Adam better be careful signaling that God is behind them for the win. Just the other night a guy who said it was in God's plan for him to win Survivor got blindsided. :)

I didn't like seeing the dog in the middle of the road either. Or little kids wandering aimlessly. Yes, I know, but still.....

i was hoping Misti would smack Jim for having them hook up with the scientists. At first, I thought "Oh no, the girls are going to regret this" but then it worked the other way. If they decide to help each other out next week, I will throw something at the TV.

Misti's makeup: I think she is wearing what a friend of mine used to wear when she was a competitive synchronized swimmer. It's baaaaaad for your skin, long-term, but I guess Misti wanted to look good for TV.

• Love 2

That was a really tough leg, & I was surprised that is was an NEL. I just don't think the scientists are going to be able to make it. Whichever one was feeling bad (I still don't know which is Amy & which is Maya) really didn't have enough recovery time unless they really messed with the time & just edited the tape. 

They didn't injure a dog, did they?  I'm glad I did not see the puppies. 

No.   There was a dog cowering underneath a car with some sort of injury to it's forehead, and the puppies were in the market.  Some inside of the cage, some on top of the cage - none moving.

• Love 1

Thanks for the clarification about the dogs -- I can't help them, but will continue to donate to the shelter where I got my cat!  Wish I could reach into the tube and help them all. 

ETA:  Yes, those spotters were REALLY suffering from the heat.  With that Detour, I was thinking anyone who did not finish in time would go to the other Detour.  That was brutally exhausting. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

Before Amy and Maya even made it to Phil you could see the extra envelopes behind his back and knew instantly they were going to the final leg. I guess the plane trip to LA will help them out, since they look ready to drop.

• Love 3

A To-be-continued race doesn't make sense if there is a 13 hour flight in between.  If the bike ride was timed, the other side of the detour could have been timed as well.  The basketball was kinda lame as a task.  Brooke looked like she was travelling with the ball.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I saw a referee at one point in the basketball Detour, but no, it was not exactly regulation! 

I wonder if the TBC was for our benefit, to heighten the drama, because I can't imagine they would pack that bunch of REALLY-need-a-shower teams right onto a commercial flight.  And that is the next step in the Race. 

If they were of any religion other than Christian, people would be gnashing their teeth to defend their right to pray.. 

Very true, however my issue with praying isn't anything to do with the act in and of itself, my problem is that God has far bigger things to worry about than whether a bunch of relatively well-off Americans win a million dollars or not.  

• Love 12

Curious-- did anyone see how Brooke acted in one of the cabs when she was practically climbing into the driver's seat to (presumably) turn on the AC. I'm glad he said NO! It's HIS cab!

That's another reason why I am no fan of those two.

The cab driver told her that putting on the AC would cause the engine to heat up and presumably overheat. I had a car like that many years ago. Not fun. :-)

• Love 6

A To-be-continued race doesn't make sense if there is a 13 hour flight in between.

If the flight rules operates under "(nearly) all airlines are available" and "you're stuck with your first booking" then a TBC might actually make sense, because there are going to be a bunch of competing connections as well as direct flights, and KF might mean some iffy airport decisions. But... it's the finale, and TPTB can't have a team getting a Guido edit from a terminal in Tokyo or Hong Kong, so it surely has to be either spoonfed or have some kind of HoO bunch once they land.

Glad the girls are still in, hope they can pull it of, but it kinda makes this leg kinda insignificant right? Hope the girls take it or the Dentists. Adam just showed again the sense of entitlement that I saw on him before with the ´´god is behind us`` speech.

I don’t think that Adam was saying that God was going to give them the race and the million dollars. What he said was more along the lines that they wanted to honor God by running a good race and being good to everyone along the way, which they have done.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 19

Maharincess . . . I don't think the dollies were available at the Roadblock. I also thought Jim and Amy would be penalized for using them, but it looked like there wasn't any rule against it.

I am glad there was no penalty. I liked that the racers were resourceful and came up with a better way to get the task done. It was similar to when the cyclists took extra icing along to fix their cake. That sort of out of the box thinking should be rewarded IMHO.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 5

Very true, however my issue with praying isn't anything to do with the act in and of itself, my problem is that God has far bigger things to worry about than whether a bunch of relatively well-off Americans win a million dollars or not.  

Absolutely! I am not religious, but, I am baffled at the hardcore defending of any religion other than Christianity. It really makes my brain spin. I am still waiting for a legit reason as to why this is happening, but  have yet to see it come to fruition. 

• Love 4

Maya cracks me up.  The girl has boundless energy and is always so cheerful.  Imagine being her kindergarten teacher.

Hopefully there will be enough wait/layover time in the airport for everyone to clean up.

I caught the puppies at the market.  No, Show.  Naked toddlers playing in the street is bad enough, we don't want to see caged puppies.

• Love 3

I really thought the wrestlers and surfers were going to be penalized for taking only one jeepney instead of transferring, and that the scientists and dentists were doing the right thing until they had to turn around.

Didn't the clue say something about taking a jeepney to a particular location, then transferring to another? We never saw anyone transfer (while on the correct course, at least). Was it the editing or did I misunderstand?

• Love 9

I'm getting a little tired of the dentists telling all these folks ekeing out a subsistence living to HURRY because they're in a RACE FOR A MILLION DOLLARS!

Oh, THIS. (or THAT). I hate the dentists, but they are definitely not the first/only teams to do this on TAR and it makes me cringe every time. If I were the taxi driver, I'd be inclined to say "OK, so here's my address... when you win the million dollars because I risked life and limb to get you where you're going, you can send me a hundred grand. Thanks!"

• Love 9

Poor Amy. She was a trooper and just kept on going even after she biked right into that truck. It looked like she smacked her leg pretty hard so I hope she was okay. If the guys were struggling with the coconut task, I can only imagine how taxing it might have been for Amy to carry all that stuff. The only good thing about the TBC is that she will have a long flight to get some rest.

Ha, I laughed when Jim said that the wrestlers are capable of the physical tasks but they're not very smart. If there hadn't been tons of jeepneys coming down that main street, who knows how long the wrestlers would have stood there whining about how it wasn't fair that everyone else got a ride but they couldn't find a single one.

Although it was definitely a time suck for the dentists and the girls to head in the opposite direction, I don't really blame them for that mistake. If I got on some sort of bus or other public transportation and asked, "Do you go to this location?" and they said yes, I wouldn't think to ask if it would be faster to go in the opposite direction to get there. It's a good thing Maya eventually asked the driver where the park was though. The dentists showed their lack of common sense when Maya said they needed to get off and catch another jeepney in the opposite direction and the dentists just said something along the lines of "Do you think so?" Uhhh, yeah, unless you want to waste another hour waiting for the jeepney you're on to make its way back to Manila.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Hindsight but...

The Dentists - Why oh why would they blindly follow the directionally-challenged scientists?  The first thing to ask for is fastest way to destination (which Robbie did!).

The Scientists - Directionally-challenged, but finally asked where destination is located.  Maya should have made the deliveries.  She is very petite, but fit, and could have negotiated the hand truck through the crowds.

The Soul Surfers - Once they couldn't find their clue, why didn't they immediately look for it?  (Can't fault Adam re God comments…I think they both honor God in all they do in life.)

The Wrestlers - Gotta hand it to them, they rocked every challenge including their Speed Bump.  And Brooke totally carried the basketball challenge.  (She did grow up playing basketball…conspiracy???  Haha!)

• Love 3

If the flight rules operates under "(nearly) all airlines are available" and "you're stuck with your first booking" then a TBC might actually make sense, because there are going to be a bunch of competing connections as well as direct flights, and KF might mean some iffy airport decisions. But... it's the finale, and TPTB can't have a team getting a Guido edit from a terminal in Tokyo or Hong Kong, so it surely has to be either spoonfed or have some kind of HoO bunch once they land.

With "Fly to your final destinations, the City of Angels" in the clue and an envelope marked "City of Los Angeles Official Business" in your hands, if you end up in Tokyo or Hong Kong then you deserve the Major Guido!

A To-be-continued race doesn't make sense if there is a 13 hour flight in between.

A 13-hour flight isn't as restful as a 12-hour pitstop and a 13- hour flight.  So, there is some extra strain imposed by the TBC.  Some don't consider flying restful at all, but with 13 hours they should be able to get their heads down for a while.

So I guess Robbie is the brains of the Brooke/Robbie operation - she's ready to jump in the first Jeepney and he says it's not going where they are.  I like his "we look good" when he sees their pic at the speed bump - heh.

The jeepney piece did see a bit confusing, the clue talked about changing at a station, so I can see why the Scientists and Dentists thought they were on the right track.  Brooke talks about the jeepneys looping around? i think; and they and A/B realized you had to catch one on the opposite side of the road.  Anyway, Jim gives unintentionally funny THs when he's saying about they're doing things the right way, etc but we know they're not, LOL.  I think his uber-confidence is shaken a bit with regards to traveling.  I can see wanting to keep pace with at least one team, so you know you have someone in your sights to beat if it comes to that.

I am glad there was no penalty. I liked that the racers were resourceful and came up with a better way to get the task done.

So was I; if the clue had said something about "only by hand" or whatever, but it apparently didn't, so OK.  

Lots of brain farts this ep - I guess the heat and fatigue were getting to people; A/B "losing" the clue; no one seeing the delivery list at first and just wandering around, not reading how many to deliver, etc.  Poor Amy, I'm sure she didn't want to be eliminated but was probably realllly looking forward to a pit stop but no!  I like the "keep racing" twist, will be interesting to see where the elimination comes into play.  Again with the TH editing, everyone looked pretty happy, so I was figuring something was up.  Misti's comment about driving around a "250 lb baby in the buggy" ha.  Personally I don't think she is wearing much makeup, except for her eyes, in this one, I think it is her tan.  I don't really have a preference over the teams left, Brooke is annoying, but they are all pushing hard and getting it done.

No.   There was a dog cowering underneath a car with some sort of injury to it's forehead, and the puppies were in the market.  Some inside of the cage, some on top of the cage - none moving.

To me, the dog under the car looked like it had a black spot, not an injury.  I did see the puppies for sale, I guess if we are going to see little kids in the street, we are going to see puppies in cages.  If it was as hot as everyone was saying, they would be lying very still.  I don't like it either, but I don't think we would be shown animals who weren't alive.

The "we're in a race" taxi thing doesn't bug me as long as no one is screaming at the driver.  Granted these aren't NYC taxi drivers, but I assume a lot of taxi drivers have heard it all and just tune out what they don't want to hear.  Anyway, M/J's taxi driver was having fun.

What kind of bugs me is the teammate waiting for the other one to complete the task and they seem to always say "you have to keep going, blah blah, don't want to be last, etc" Their teammate KNOWS that, I suppose if you're just standing around maybe they feel like they have to say something?? but it rarely seems encouraging.

Edited by raven

Yes, Misti, the bicycle task was more difficult for your team when you had to ride around 250 pounds.  And the hurt foot didn't help.  But I think it was a bit easier for a 250 pound man to carry coconuts and do numerous other tasks than a slight woman. 

• Love 3
The dentists showed their lack of common sense when Maya said they needed to get off and catch another jeepney in the opposite direction and the dentists just said something along the lines of "Do you think so?" Uhhh, yeah, unless you want to waste another hour waiting for the jeepney you're on to make its way back to Manila.

Someone said the jeepneys make a loop around the area so by the time the dentists and the girls realized their mistake they might have been better off sticking with the one they were on (if by that time it was closer to the park), rather than going back in the other direction.

• Love 1

I don't understand people just wandering around not knowing where they're going when the clue specifically says "to the posted locations" and they keep repeating it.

I think they all read it as something would be posted at the location - that they needed to take the items and find a location with a red and yellow flag on it.  The same way they have to look around for a clue box.  Of course, if could (and did) also mean to bring it the locations posted on the post right in front of you. 

• Love 5

Brooke: "This basketball is going to be easy, I've been playing basketball all my life."

Brooke: "I haven't picked up a basketball in ten years."

Although in the end, she pretty much completed that task for them, the first few minutes were hilarious. She's doing the THs about how that's her game, but the way she was playing initially made it look like she'd never seen basketball, much less played it.

Absolutely! I am not religious, but, I am baffled at the hardcore defending of any religion other than Christianity. It really makes my brain spin. I am still waiting for a legit reason as to why this is happening, but  have yet to see it come to fruition. 

I think it's because on reality shows, you only see Christians talking about their faith in God and how God will help them on the race/show/competition. If it were a Buddhist or Muslim or Hindu saying similar things, they'd be getting the same kind of criticism. Actually, I suspect they'd be getting more criticism, but until it happens, I can't say that for certain.

I really thought the wrestlers and surfers were going to be penalized for taking only one jeepney instead of transferring, and that the scientists and dentists were doing the right thing until they had to turn around.

Didn't the clue say something about taking a jeepney to a particular location, then transferring to another? We never saw anyone transfer (while on the correct course, at least). Was it the editing or did I misunderstand?

That's what I thought as well. The clue did list two different locations that they had to go to in order. I thought that the wrestlers and the surfers were the ones who'd made the mistake that the episode description talked about, but no one got a penalty so it's confusing as to what happened there.

• Love 5

I call shenanigans on the whole Final Four thing and feel ripped off by the lack of that last elimination. The last two episodes have been pointless other than to award Jim and Misti yet another trip. This has been one of the worst seasons casting-wise and there's nobody to root for.

Jim and Misti = too plastic

Adam and Bethany - too stunt cast

Amy and Maya - too boring

Robbie and Brooke - too obnoxious

Finale - too predictable. It's been a showdown between Jim and Misti and Adam and Bethany since leg 1. There aren't going to be any surprises here.

• Love 1

I find it interesting that Adam's brief mention of his faith is thought of by some as "God-bothering," annoying, or offensive. He said, "Our faith in Jesus makes us who we are, so we race to the best of our potential because that's what we're called to do."

Why is this an offensive statement? Adam didn't say he and Bethany would win because God is on their side. He basically just said that they have faith in Jesus and want to do their best for him. In 1 Corinthians, Paul used running a race as an image of living as a Christian. Later in 2 Timothy he says  “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."  When Adam mentioned racing to the best of their potential I took it as having a double meaning--racing on TAR as best as they can and racing in their spiritual life, keeping their eye on the prize of pleasing, serving, and honoring God as best as they can. 

• Love 19

Just to clarify, I don't think Adam and Bethany are being offensive or God-bothering. Nor do I think Misti's occasional "help me, Jesus!" is a literal prayer for help any more than my occasional "God damn it" is a literal request for God to damn something. I think it's fine if people talk about or express their faith on reality shows, so long as they don't act like it makes them morally superior or more worthy of winning that the other contestants, and I don't think anyone on this season's TAR is doing that.

• Love 21

I think it's fine if people talk about or express their faith on reality shows, so long as they don't act like it makes them morally superior or more worthy of winning that the other contestants, and I don't think anyone on this season's TAR is doing that.

I agree; I also don't look at occasional expressions of "please God" or whatever any more offensive than "oh shit".  People use different exclamations.  I don't know much about A/B, but I know that their faith is important, so I'm not surprised that the clip was included.  Personally I respond more to Jim's "we want to just winnnn and be number one" or what have you - they have kids but we haven't heard the usual "we want to show our kids to follow your dreams blah blah".  though I guess I could have missed it.  

I do hate any kind of judgmental behavior, so any comment about someone deserving it more for whatever reason would automatically annoy me.

• Love 1

Yes, I also came here to see if anyone else laughed at Amy's deadpan comment about "a manila envelope in Manila" (complete with an unspoken-but-clearly-there "seriously?" at the end). I guess my husband and I thought it was particularly funny because we'd just said the same thing to the tv!

Amy's pretty tough, with the leg injury, the bike crash, the difficulty of the task, the heat exhaustion ... I don't really enjoy watching her because her posture makes me cringe, but I have to hand it to her on toughness.

• Love 12

Because I'm that kind of nerd, I looked it up, and Jim did get his currency conversion rate more or less right with  'we're in a race for a million dollars' followed by 'we're in a race for forty million pesos'. Odd what people remember sometimes.

• Love 2

I think it's fine if people talk about or express their faith on reality shows, so long as they don't act like it makes them morally superior or more worthy of winning that the other contestants, and I don't think anyone on this season's TAR is doing that.

Are you listening, Ma Weaver?

Amy's aside when they received the envelope about a "manilla envelope in Manilla" pleased me. She has a very dry sense of humor that I appreciate.

She's also tough.  I thought she was done while carrying brooms.  I also thought she was going to raaalph in the taxi.  She didn't look like she was going any further.  I don't know how much time passed at the pitgo, but at the end she looked surprisingly willing to race on!  I don't know much about her, but she can have my seat on the bus any time.  Not that I think she'd need it...  As for Maya, well her manic ranting about not wanting to be eliminated when Amy looked like she needed an I.V. was slightly less than endearing.  Amy has been hurting for a while now, with her bad leg/foot.  (I can't remember what she did to get injured.)  Maya needs to step up and coddle Amy a bit.  Carry her backpack, fetch her a meal, give her the comfy seat.  I hope Maya knows that if she makes it to the finish, she owes Amy bigtime!

• Love 8

This confused me as well. They kept reinforcing the fact that the teams needed to take the first jeepney to a station, then transfer to a second one to reach their destination. The editing made it look like the wrestlers and the surfers took just one jeepney directly to the final destination, and I was assuming that the other two teams were following the clue directions and getting there correctly (if not by the most direct or fastest route.) So I was hoping the first two teams would be penalized, but I guess I misinterpreted the situation. 

• Love 1
Yes, I also came here to see if anyone else laughed at Amy's deadpan comment about "a manila envelope in Manila" (complete with an unspoken-but-clearly-there "seriously?" at the end). I guess my husband and I thought it was particularly funny because we'd just said the same thing to the tv!

I just assumed that the manila envelope was there precisely because they were in Manila, not that it was a funny coincidence. More of a nerdy pun than anything else.

I came here to see if anyone else noticed how Adam described the naked-kids-in-the-street situation using the words "That's pretty nuts!" 

• Love 1

Just got done watching it online as at times I forget it comes on Fridays lol. 

I cringed when the Wrestlers came in first. I absolutely hated that moment and now I dislike Robbie. At first I tolerated him now I can't stand him. Early in the race he wasn't that bad with calming Negative Nancy down with her defeatist attitude once again. Then at the end when he was running down the teams in the finals he basically was making fun of them more than anything and not viewing them from a competitive standpoint. I really hope they get their comeuppance during the final leg and win absolutely NOTHING. Can't be rewarded for Brooke's bitchy and mocking other people behavior plus her damn defeatist attitude and Robbie, just ugh.

Jim on the other hand said the wrestlers are athletes but in a good way said that mentally they may not be all the way there. I continue to warm up to the Dentists and do apologize for my remarks about Jim during the first couple of episodes at the start of this season. They seem to be really nice people and Jim hasn't been worried about placement or being super super competitive I guess since the herd has thinned out, he's relaxed some.

I continue to adore Bethany and Adam and love them and they're my #1 team to root for going in the finale. I'll take any team over the Wrestlers as I do like three of the four teams going in.

Glad Amy and Maya got another chance to race in the finals. I always love Maya's reactions to things, they're quite funny and hilarious. I was worried for Amy for a bit when she reached the pit stop and medical had to take a look at her. They really have to pull it together and practically be perfect in the final leg or else it could be there doom and might be eliminated by Phil while racing.

RePhil at the gas station was hilarious and cute.